Prev_page Previous 1 3
Purging 03/17/2012 12:33 PM CDT
Okay, please don't bash on me too badly here, but I find that having the message along with being struck down completely uhm.. Not right, I suppose you could say.

* Person was just struck down!
* Person was purged by the Hounds of Rutilor!

Why must the message of being purged even be mentioned? I find it's an excuse for players who fail at roleplaying to use such OOC information IC. If they ever met, then later in the week the player of the character sees that message (not even being in the same room as the Necromancer being struck down), suddenly the next time they meet, they are treated as if the character knew the entire time that the Necromancer was a Necro.
I've seen this several times, especially from the citizens of a certain province to which I won't name.
But I don't think it's right to show a global purging message and give an excuse for people to abuse actual roleplaying by using such OOC information in character.

However, for those within the same area, such a message can be seen cause the surrounding characters actually witnessed such a purge. But a purged Necromancer from Crossings and suddenly someone from Ratha knows who is a Necromancer.. Seems kind of unfair in the roleplaying world.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant about it but I thought I'd just comment on how I felt about the purges.
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 12:44 PM CDT
>>Why must the message of being purged even be mentioned?

Think of global messages as news spreading. If someone was purged by the Hounds, that's the kind of thing that really stands out.

It's IC information. Word spreads.
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 01:05 PM CDT
Also, don't forget that most of the messages you see of people getting purged are false, and those characters don't actually exist. It's meant to throw people off and show that there are people going around witch-hunting, as much as it is to actually legitimately message when a necro is killed.

- Starlear -
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 01:33 PM CDT
>Why must the message of being purged even be mentioned?

Necromancers are Hard-Mode.

Necromancer life sucks.

Reroll if it sucks.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 03:38 PM CDT
>Think of global messages as news spreading. If someone was purged by the Hounds, that's the kind of thing that really stands out.

True, but I wouldn't assume something would spread that fast, but you got me there. Never really thought of it like that. I guess I was thinking more for actual players doing the spreading but never thought about the NPC citizens.

>Also, don't forget that most of the messages you see of people getting purged are false, and those characters don't actually exist. It's meant to throw people off and show that there are people going around witch-hunting, as much as it is to actually legitimately message when a necro is killed.

That I did not know and is quite interesting.

>Reroll if it sucks.

Good thing I mainly play a Moon Mage. =D

Overall, I appreciate all the responses and thank you all for honest responses.

Thanks!
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 03:42 PM CDT
>>True, but I wouldn't assume something would spread that fast, but you got me there.

I consider it a mix of things like gweths and other supernatural messaging allowing a certain speed of knowing spreading easily and a game limitation that we should just roll with instead of expecting global messages to have a timer based on whatever location where they originally take place.
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 03:49 PM CDT
>I consider it a mix of things like gweths and other supernatural messaging allowing a certain speed of knowing spreading easily and a game limitation that we should just roll with instead of expecting global messages to have a timer based on whatever location where they originally take place.

Ah. I see.
Well, anyway, I don't normally get on the forums and I have to admit this is the better experience than last time. Thanks!
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 03:56 PM CDT
The phrasing of this:
> Also, don't forget that most of the messages you see of people getting purged are false.

Isn't true, that is. That while these people who are purged are not characters in the game you can meet. They are supposed to be Necromancers who were being to overt/not being careful enough/or just plan unlucky.

Which I think in a matter of speaking Starlear was trying to orchestrate, but for how I view the messaging in game, that's what my take on what is happening in the world, and because there is a lot of hysteria over these things, news reaches my character, in some manner.

Re: Purging 03/17/2012 04:06 PM CDT
>>They are supposed to be Necromancers who were being to overt/not being careful enough/or just plan unlucky.

They're not necessarily Necromancers. They're people who are purged with the assumption of Necromancy.

Keep in mind the Hounds are a bunch of fanatical zealots. They're not interested in knowing if it is true or not and making sure justice is served. They're more the scorched earth types.
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 04:24 PM CDT
That part of not necessarily being Necromancers is very valid point, they could be someone innocent caught up in it/someone doing some Sorcerous magic (like Blackfire) or illegal magical like ability (empath's shift abilities comes to mind)/ and the list could continue... but I feel that most things were covered fairly well.

Re: Purging 03/17/2012 05:01 PM CDT
The potential speed of communication in the Provinces dwarfs even the Internet and is limited only by the number of nodes in the system (Moon Mages and gwethdesuan users, in this case). Instant psychic broadcasts across hundreds of miles is something we can only dream of.

That and it's simply a game practicality to message at the death rather than to wait some few seconds or minutes for the knowledge to "realistically" spread.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Purging 03/17/2012 08:04 PM CDT
>The potential speed of communication in the Provinces dwarfs even the Internet and is limited only by the number of nodes in the system (Moon Mages and gwethdesuan users, in this case). Instant psychic broadcasts across hundreds of miles is something we can only dream of.

This made me think that we really need tabloids in Elanthia.

> Your mind hears a sleazy paparazzi think, "The Prince is raising the spoon to his lips! He's about to have some soup!"
Re: Purging 03/18/2012 01:09 AM CDT
That was similiar to the first thing that popped in my head after reading Armifer's first line regarding instant psychic broadcasts. It pretty much went like:

"Ugh, given the state of the Internet, I'm GLAD we don't have to deal with every inanity that every person with a gweth can spew out."

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Purging 03/18/2012 01:23 AM CDT
there will be OOC knowledge no matter what. This is a perfect balance between that and IC knowledge . More so then seeing someone struck down that you don't even OOC know. On the other hand , lets be honest , it's not totally IC. Nothing really is unless your a good role player .
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 12:52 PM CDT
>Necromancers are Hard-Mode.

>Necromancer life sucks.

>Reroll if it sucks.

Please stop saying this. It wasn't cool when necros were released, it isn't cool now.
This is why no one plays necros anymore, and the only ones who say this are the hypocrites with multiple accounts who use their alts to assist their necros to make life easier.
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 01:08 PM CDT

>Please stop saying this. It wasn't cool when necros were released, it isn't cool now. This is why no one plays necros anymore, and the only ones who say this are the hypocrites with multiple accounts who use their alts to assist their necros to make life easier.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH... aheh... heheh... BAHAHAHAHAHA...

That's about all the response that comment deserves. A ) those comments were true then, and are true still. B ) Lots of people still play necromancers, and C ) Many of them don't even have multiple accounts with alt assistance/protection. Also, D ) I find that people who have multiple accounts aren't doing it primarily for Necromancer support.
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 01:37 PM CDT
>>Please stop saying this. It wasn't cool when necros were released, it isn't cool now.

Yeah! How dare the GM who made the guild say those things.

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 02:18 PM CDT
I'm pretty happy with the Necro population numbers on Prime as they currently stand.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 02:58 PM CDT
>That's about all the response that comment deserves.

Yet you continued to write.

>A ) those comments were true then, and are true still.

Wrong. Necros used to get auto-arrested when withdrawing from banks (immediately pre-release). You couldn't pay fines. You couldn't get your gear back. The hypocrites who used alts to feed money to their necro told us single-account necros to suck it up. Luckily, some benevolent GM listened to me and allowed withdrawing.
Sometimes hard != playability. Playability does not need to be sacrificed for you to feel like you're playing an "advanced" guild. I can't believe there are still people with this "Necros are hard, suck it up" mindset. Let it go.

>C ) Many of them don't even have multiple accounts with alt assistance/protection.

Now THAT would shock me.
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 04:55 PM CDT
What's the actual substance to this argument again? Are we complaining because necromancer's can't use civilized social institutions?

>>Playability does not need to be sacrificed for you to feel like you're playing an "advanced" guild.

I hear this argument alot, the "GM's are ruining my playability" with my necromancer. How so? What makes it so hard for your necromancer that not being able to utilize banks or vaults? I think you are just use to playing a different way, already customized to a mainstream character. Your "playability" as a necromancer is largely defined or I think enhanced by the substance of the guild. In a large sense, your playability isn't really sacrificed unless you are the one who compromises yourself, through being reckless in social settings (I.E. towns or cities). Now once your found out, it does become more difficult to safeguard your privileges but still you are the master of your own fate, you can prevent whatever happens to you through being overly cautious.

So to recap, the Necromancer is an 'advanced' guild where you are going to have to be a smart player who morphs their play style a bit, that much is clear. If you think the guild is hard, then really your the one making it hard for yourself. My character is blatantly obvious in what he does, I don't find it particularly harder than anything else... my facility use has been restricted in the past, due to my actions but... overall, they have remained available to me about 80% of the time.
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 05:14 PM CDT
>Wrong. Necros used to get auto-arrested when withdrawing from banks
False? Necromancers get auto arrested when withdrawing from banks *when they accrue sufficient SO*. I'm almost positive that Necromancers have never been in a position where for doing nothing, ever, they were unable to use services.

As for your claim that hypocrites just used alts to feed money: A ) there are multiple provinces in game. Use them. B ) Complaining about money loss on your Necromancer is like complaining you misplaced your braiding vines.

>Now THAT would shock me.

Then be shocked! Your anecdotal experience is not conclusive data!
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 05:20 PM CDT
>>A ) there are multiple provinces in game. Use them.

I'm not sure that helps, the justice system is wide spread one unit fits all sort of thing. If you have high SO in the Crossing, you have high SO everywhere and vica versa. Best alternative is to use the non-justice bank in the Dragon's Spire, the Mountain Elf fortress.
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 05:37 PM CDT
>>This is why no one plays necros anymore,

Looking at prime right now, they aren't even the least popular guild.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 05:38 PM CDT

>> Looking at prime right now, they aren't even the least popular guild.

Alright, so that begs the question, what are the statistics right now (percentage based, of course).
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 05:43 PM CDT
Heh, yeah since you are looking that would be a cool statistic to know..
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 07:11 PM CDT

>False? Necromancers get auto arrested when withdrawing from banks *when they accrue sufficient SO*. I'm almost positive that Necromancers have never been in a position where for doing nothing, ever, they were unable to use services.

>As for your claim that hypocrites just used alts to feed money: A ) there are multiple provinces in game. Use them. B ) Complaining about money loss on your Necromancer is like complaining you misplaced your braiding vines.

Eh, I'd love to continue this argument; but honestly I've been there done that about 2 years ago and I've heard both sides.

Just be careful who you say the, "If you don't like it, quit or reroll" line to, because I know plenty who have.
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 07:16 PM CDT
Well, we all know no one wants to be a BARD!

--Croegar/Shatteringwave/Someone Else

K>think
You try, but in the cramped confines of the tunnel, there's just no room to do that.
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 07:23 PM CDT
>>Just be careful who you say the, "If you don't like it, quit or reroll" line to, because I know plenty who have.

I'd just like to point out that you quitting or rerolling has nothing to do with my experience in the game. I'm guessing none of my characters have even met your nec. Threatening that you might stop playing a necromancer won't produce more than a casual shrug-of-the-shoulders or thread equivalent from anyone, provided they care enough to put effort into such a response.

I do, however, urge you to enjoy your experience with your necromancer and focus on RPing something off the wall. Come up with something vastly different than the other players of the game...have parents that are still alive!

K>think
You try, but in the cramped confines of the tunnel, there's just no room to do that.
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 07:33 PM CDT
>>Just be careful who you say the, "If you don't like it, quit or reroll" line to, because I know plenty who have.

Here is how I look at it.

I'm terrible at training combats. I always, no matter how much I try, end up with lores and magics (and some survivals) heads and tails above my combats.

But, if I brought up that I wanted Barbarians to be less combat focused because I'm more comfortable with lores and magics, I'd be told to not play a Barbarian, because I'm just not cut out for what one of their primary elements are.

I see being a Necromancer in this context the same way. If you're not comfortable with having the world against you, the guild might not just be for you. Not because you're a bad person or you suck at DR or anything, but because it's just not a compatible match.

It's the same reason why I'm not really playing a Cleric or trying out Bards as of right now. Because I don't like sitting around teaching, so I know I'm not a good match for those guilds.

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 10:20 PM CDT
>But, if I brought up that I wanted Barbarians to be less combat focused because I'm more comfortable with lores and magics, I'd be told to not play a Barbarian, because I'm just not cut out for what one of their primary elements are.

I'm a pretty pretty snowflake.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Purging 03/23/2012 10:50 PM CDT
I would argue that doing with your character what you want to do, and forcing the guild elements to fit a piece of that puzzle is part of the fun of the game. You just have to be willing to accept that the elements are X (and most of X is defined by the GMs, not you) and know that others have full free will to regard you as they so deem appropriate, and you have no power to alter that. This is the same for EVERY guild. Warranted, at least at present it is actually impossible to be a fireball-tossing Barbarian, but if you want to fight at a distance, you can use a bow.

The necromancers' guild simply has a vastly different set of givens than other guilds to. You can completely reject your guild's basic premise and RP it reasonably well. You can engage in activities your guild is generally poor at and become excellent. There is no reason your necromancer can't be a great halberdier or a 2hb enthusiast, no reason he can't go stomping around in heavy plate disregarding everything dealing with stealth. If you can put up with being a gimped commoner, you can disregard magic skills entirely. How you play your character is up to you. Your freedom only ends where that of others or the hard limits of the game begin. If those hard limits are too much for you...if you aren't enjoying yourself while playing...why are you paying $15/month+ for the right to make yourself miserable?

DR probably has something that's right for you. Good lord, it's the single least-pigeon-holing game of its type ever conceived. I'd certainly recommend finding a more suitable option before quitting all together.

K>think
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 02:05 AM CDT
>Eh, I'd love to continue this argument; but honestly I've been there done that about 2 years ago and I've heard both sides.
I'm not sure that SO is shared across the provinces. I haven't tested this though.
As for you having 'been there and done that', all I can say is don't let the door hit you on your way out. You not enjoying the guild is your bag entirely. I too have been playing a Necromancer since the guilds release, so, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
>Just be careful who you say the, "If you don't like it, quit or reroll" line to, because I know plenty who have.
Ok? And? I think if anything that's a case to say it to more people.
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 02:07 AM CDT
since everyone is opposed , sort of , I'd like to take on XDESTRON's point of view . Even though I don't totally agree , what is this players actual point.

>Necromancers are Hard-Mode.

>Necromancer life sucks.

>Reroll if it sucks.

>Please stop saying this. It wasn't cool when necros were released, it isn't cool now.
This is why no one plays necros anymore, and the only ones who say this are the hypocrites with multiple accounts who use their alts to assist their necros to make life easier.

First off , those 3 quotes were not the words of a GM. Understand though OP that we all really love Armifer here , for good reason , why he's not the guild head is for obvious RL reasons , Im guessing . I agree that people should stop "Saying" this . However , I disagree with the points . It's Not as Hard as Hard mode should be . The life does not Suck . And well, re-rolling as a gesture of forum manners is just an insult .

Im not sure what your intentions of bringing this topic back up are , but I'd be curious to here it ? I agree it's not cool to say playing a Necro sucks. I think bringing up alt's is kind of strange because most people have multi characters , even those with no Necro characters .

I agree with your post in the following. Playing a Necro does not suck . Sure it's different , but it doesn't suck . It is hardly , "Hard Mode" atm . reroll if it sucks . Yeah that's just the hit the road statement . But without feeling attacked or judged , what is your reason for bringing this back up ?
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 05:45 AM CDT
<<Come up with something vastly different than the other players of the game...have parents that are still alive!>>

can't do that, but i have a grandpa thats still alive! <see totendanz-plat on elanthipedia> :-)

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 06:45 AM CDT
>><<Come up with something vastly different than the other players of the game...have parents that are still alive!>>

Difficult. Why wouldn't you ever go visit them? You then arrive at another problem: everyone rp's hating their parents.

I've seen a couple people rp using NPCs, which is cool but also slightly odd from the outside.
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 07:46 AM CDT
>those 3 quotes were not the words of a GM

They are not direct quotes, but they are paraphrases of direct quotes from the release of the guild. Necros were flatly told they are an advanced guild in DR; the first and only. They sacrifice certain things other guilds take for granted, and thier lives are intended to be much more difficult in daily life. This means the loss of some services, the hassle of keeping a low profile, and other things no other guild has to contend with even remotely. And the GMs pretty flatly also said if you find this untenable, you should not play a necro, because the entire design philosophy was, in gist, Necromancers are hard, reroll if you can't take it, because we're not going to make them easier.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 11:03 AM CDT
>>I'm not sure that SO is shared across the provinces. I haven't tested this though.

It is, from my understanding.
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 11:59 AM CDT
I can say from experience that it is. I have gotten insane amounts of SO in Theren (so much it took almost a year to be able to use services again), and a little in Zoluren. I got then got my wacked for more SO in Ilithi on my first trip there, trying to use service.

K>think
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 05:09 PM CDT
>They are not direct quotes, but they are paraphrases of direct quotes from the release of the guild. Necros were flatly told they are an advanced guild in DR; the first and only. They sacrifice certain things other guilds take for granted, and thier lives are intended to be much more difficult in daily life. This means the loss of some services, the hassle of keeping a low profile, and other things no other guild has to contend with even remotely. And the GMs pretty flatly also said if you find this untenable, you should not play a necro, because the entire design philosophy was, in gist, Necromancers are hard, reroll if you can't take it, because we're not going to make them easier.

Does anyone really think Necros are hard though? I didn't. I actually found them quite easy. Self heal and self raise? Easy. Inconvenient? Probably more accurate.

All the guild requires is the lack of stupidity to stay out of town. If you think that's hard... I have news for you.
Re: Purging 03/24/2012 07:05 PM CDT
Well, if you put it that way, nothing PvE is difficult, just inconvenient.

K>think
Prev_page Previous 1 3