Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Tactics 03/02/2013 01:43 PM CST
I've been away for awhile and just decided to see what was going on in DR (I left shortly after the announcement to condense skills). My biggest complaint right now is Tactics as a circle req. I rejoice that MO is gone, I hated it and it hated me, but this tactics skill seems premature as a skill. For one it was just 'poof'ed into existence and from everything I've read there are only a few ways to train it, the one I'm using at the moment is BOB. I understand I could probably chain together a combat combo for each of my weapons but I've always used just the ole ATTACK and it has worked well for me. I also understand that the ANALYZE verb works with it too but here are my problems, the grandfather gift of 112 ranks is a joke, I can sit back and BOB every once and awhile to get a paltry amount of EXP for my trouble or fruitlessly try to ANALYZE peccarys(norm and bristled) due to lack of skill. This seems to be another niche skill (just like MO was) that some of us were forced to train to circle, please dump it as a req or reassess how much was grandfathered as I can't use it at my level for what I hunt.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 02:04 PM CST
>>. I understand I could probably chain together a combat combo for each of my weapons but I've always used just the ole ATTACK and it has worked well for me. I also understand that the ANALYZE verb works with it too but here are my problems, the grandfather gift of 112 ranks is a joke, I can sit back and BOB every once and awhile to get a paltry amount of EXP for my trouble or fruitlessly try to ANALYZE peccarys(norm and bristled) due to lack of skill. This seems to be another niche skill (just like MO was) that some of us were forced to train to circle, please dump it as a req or reassess how much was grandfathered as I can't use it at my level for what I hunt.

Barbarians are combat masters. Even though it's a tert skill, positional knowledge of flanking foes (knowing how to handle/prevent being flanked) is a huge part of the art of medieval-style warfare, so it absolutely makes sense as a hard requirement. Peccaries aren't gonna line up politely and face you one at a time like in a Jackie Chan movie, your barb's gotta know how to handle being thrown into a crowd.

Also, two ranks per circle's a joke, you can handle that. Analyze foe is a pretty poor way to train tactics right now, though Kodius plans to fix that at some point (soon, I assume). Just BOB over and over again if you can't successfully weave or circle, and you should mind lock it in a few minutes. You have to do something while training defenses anyways, tactics is a good candidate.

In other words, it makes sense and it's very easy to train, I don't think it's worth asking it to be changed.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 02:09 PM CST
My point is, MO was a niche skill for players. I trained it before only to circle as I never planned then to take on a huge group of people at once (didnt plan on hunting celps) and only fought two or three peccary at a time. It was a dumb skill to train too, the only way to train it was to be engaged with two or more baddies. Instead now we have a skill where just BOB/WEAVE(...) over.. and over.. and over... and over... But don't worry! It's better than MO. How about we just learn it when swinging a sword or what have you.. Almost like a combination of these new mastery skills. key word here: REDUNDANT
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 02:34 PM CST
>>My point is, MO was a niche skill for players.

There are plans to make Tactics work for a variety of things, including units/siege systems. Won't say how far off those are, but Tactics as a skill will involve much more than Multi was ever capable of.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 02:52 PM CST
>>this tactics skill seems premature as a skill.

It is still being developed and new ways to train it will be introduced over time.

>>the one I'm using at the moment is BOB... but I've always used just the ole ATTACK

So learn how to train it? ANALYZE and finishing a combo will begin teaching better later today. I've been busy fixing other bugs and need to get this and boss monsters wrapped up this weekend.

>>My point is, MO was a niche skill for players.

Tactics will not be a niche skill. It already allows for non-violent ways to penalize foes, and will be required to take down boss monsters and for attacking siege units. Just because you don't want non violent moves, or don't want to take on bosses, or don't want to fight siege units... that does not make Tactics niche.

>>How about we just learn it when swinging a sword or what have you

DR is not Progress Quest!!!!!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 03:09 PM CST
Thanks for the reply Kodius.

My frustration is that the ways to train it are too little at the moment it seems;
1. I BOB like crazy or;
2. Analyze for weakness

Now I prefer the latter but wasn't given enough skill to do so at a level on par with my circle. When I ANALYZE peccaries (not even the bristle variety) I simply get "You fail to find any holes in the peccary's defenses."... so what good does that do if I wasn't given the skill to use it?

You're right, tactics isn't a niche skill. Right now it's premature, I want to say "failure to launch" but we aren't at that point. I have a feeling this is your "baby" and thats fine but why implement it before it's all hashed out. Boss Monsters and siege units sound cool but to me thats invasions of old which where few and far between. Why not do away with it and when it comes time in the code to do X vs Y skill checks have it weighed against existing skills?

And yes DR isn't a progress quest but I seem to remember this whole skill condensing thing being about making the game friendlier and easier. Tactics isn't making it that, you just replaced MO with it.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 03:29 PM CST
>My frustration is that the ways to train it are too little at the moment it seems;
>1. I BOB like crazy or;
>2. Analyze for weakness

Try WEAVE. It actually gives a nice penalty to the opponent if you're successful.

That said, I do feel like the learning rate per action could be bumped up a little.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 03:30 PM CST
>>. Boss Monsters and siege units sound cool but to me thats invasions of old which where few and far between. Why not do away with it and when it comes time in the code to do X vs Y skill checks have it weighed against existing skills?

I'm not sure you understand the implementation of this stuff. I'm not sure about siege warfare, but boss monsters are not invasion-only. They will be spawning in normal hunting grounds and be considerably harder than the critters at level, and require a full arsenal of stuff (buffs, disablers, tactics) to bring them down.

>>And yes DR isn't a progress quest but I seem to remember this whole skill condensing thing being about making the game friendlier and easier. Tactics isn't making it that, you just replaced MO with it.

"This skill is worthless!".... he says, after just acknowledging three direct uses for it. I don't understand your logic friend. It's already more developed and directly useful than 1/3 of the skills in the game.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 04:13 PM CST
I think you're being shortsighted in your analysis of the skill. For starters its a lore skill, which provides great benefit to lore primaries and secondaries hunting capacity. Furthermore, the range on training is pretty great; my barb has 160 or so ranks and can circle or weave on elder deer.

Additionally, the skill DOES something, unlike multi opponent circle and weave are really solid debuffs.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 04:23 PM CST
>>Additionally, the skill DOES something, unlike multi opponent circle and weave are really solid debuffs.

Or if you really want to debuff your critter, BOB once or twice to gain position and give 'em a SHOVE. Re-advance and and continue ATTAKing. Even if the thing gets back up before you reach it, it's balance and position are about as tanked as it gets still once you get back to melee.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 04:39 PM CST
Sweet story. Just remove it from Barb circle reqs. I train my lore skill, it's appraisal.. something useful.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 05:20 PM CST
>>Sweet story. Just remove it from Barb circle reqs. I train my lore skill, it's appraisal.. something useful.<<

You really have no idea what you're talking about. You're either trolling or just plain... no you have to be trolling. I can't imagine anyone being this argumentative and not being a troll.

The skill is pretty damn useful. A position boost, a fatigue regenerator, a defense debuff, and a knockdown. Can't imagine anyone ever wanting to use those. Appraisal is useful? How? Once you can get weights on your gear, there's no real use for the ability.

Your body tightens as you draw your arms together in a sinuous, flowing motion, mimicking the form you were trained to adopt for this roar of warning.
Kodius fled to the west in terror!
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 05:25 PM CST
>>The skill is pretty damn useful. A position boost, a fatigue regenerator, a defense debuff, and a knockdown.

These are good points. Also, I really like the new tactics skill. It ties in nicely with weapon combat and brawling moves.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 05:40 PM CST
Well, much like the new supernatural abilities we just couldn't grandfather it any more than we did. I also have plans for Expertise to tie in with tactics in new, Barbarian-only ways.

And damn.. new babies just keep popping up on me. I really should be more careful - Alas!

Should have the exp award from completing a combo in place here shortly.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 05:47 PM CST
Ok.. completing a combo now gives Tactics EXP. A decent bit too. Let me know how it feels.

Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 06:09 PM CST

I'm glad that's in, but truthfully was virtually always mindlocked by just circling between attacks. This will be great insofar as allowing more attacks, while still enjoying the debuffs of tactics!
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 06:23 PM CST
>>Sweet story. Just remove it from Barb circle reqs. I train my lore skill, it's appraisal.. something useful.

Cool story bro. Oh well. I guess you'll hate our guild-only skill expertise too.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 06:24 PM CST
>.Cool story bro. Oh well. I guess you'll hate our guild-only skill expertise too.

Maybe you can petition to get a new guild-only skill just for you, something that does something useful, like lets you determine what color the intercessor's dreamy eyes are via appraisal, instead of letting you cut off his shield arm.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 08:53 PM CST
I wouldn't call this a complaint, but while we're on the topic, I am slightly curious about how this is supposed to work. Should lower circle folks like me just ignore it until applied debuffs last a while? I mean I mind locked after about 5-6 analyzes and follow throughs, which is amazing though it didn't take all that much to level it with circle/bob/weave/shove.

However the debuffs don't last more than a few seconds. Enough for me to get one or two hits in before they fix themselves. If I do constant analyzes and combo follow-through's it takes me two to three times as long to kill something than if I was to just slice/slice/feint/bob and kill them. Or even just get slice happy. (Talking about mobs my level.)

I recall reading about 'boss' enemies, but in the meantime is this just a little something fun to do?
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 09:44 PM CST
I was under the impression that the debuff last 30s, and could be reapplied with analyze?
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 10:21 PM CST
Here's how it's been working for me:

- Analyze: I'm given a list of things to do. This is where the 30s timer starts.

- Thrust, jab, lunge, slice, etc to match the combo. Once I do the last action, it tells me the debuff has been applied because of my 'modest' skill in tactics.

- Analyze: I'm given another list of things to do, another timer starts.

- Get in maybe one or two more actions (three if they are 2, 3 second ones) before it says that my target has readjusted their stance or whatever, before I can even get off a second debuff.

Tested that for nearly 2 hours. I can kill things faster just going slice crazy and berzerking avalanche if I need to. If the timer starts after the analyze and ends after 30 seconds, regardless of when you apply the debuff... it seems pointless if there are 4 actions you need to take and each of them takes an average of 4-5 seconds.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 10:45 PM CST
I'm sorry, I just feel that MO has been replaced by this tactics skill. Before the next argument comes out that "yes it has, and it's better" it's just one more thing to add the script. It seems like another escape skill at the moment except it's a circle req that doesn't equal up to the weapon reqs. There were all these great things planned for escape (which I'm sure was someone's baby). Don't take that too personal Kodius, I'm sure you have grand designs, I just hate to see something implemented that hasn't been hashed out all the way. I feel like it one incomplete thing was taken out and another incomplete thing put in it's place. In my opinion it should be an extra credit skill for that person who also has grand dreams of these monster bosses or seige engines/machines. Me, I just want to sit back and lay waste to creatures one at a time.. even if there three at melee range. Why should I be penalized?
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 10:58 PM CST
>>Why should I be penalized?

Give me your character name so I can lay waste to you non-stop 24/7.

Why should I be penalized?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 11:00 PM CST
>>I just hate to see something implemented that hasn't been hashed out all the way.

The game is constantly evolving - as all online games do - and will never be finished.

Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 11:03 PM CST
>>Tested that for nearly 2 hours. I can kill things faster just going slice crazy and berzerking avalanche if I need to. If the timer starts after the analyze and ends after 30 seconds, regardless of when you apply the debuff... it seems pointless if there are 4 actions you need to take and each of them takes an average of 4-5 seconds.

I don't understand. You are landing a debuff just fine, but are upset you can't land all 3 debuffs before the first expires or the critter dies? You aren't meant to land all 3 on a minion-level critter... Just like it would be pointless to spend 500000 mana casting 5000 debuffs spells on a single critter.

Do you also realize you can analyze multiple times to increase the potency and duration of each debuff?

Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 11:05 PM CST
>>Me, I just want to sit back and lay waste to creatures one at a time.. even if there three at melee range. Why should I be penalized?<<

How are you being penalized? All you have to do to learn the skill is enter "circle."

Your body tightens as you draw your arms together in a sinuous, flowing motion, mimicking the form you were trained to adopt for this roar of warning.
Kodius fled to the west in terror!
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 11:08 PM CST
I run the analyze, do 2 of the actions, analyze again and finish the sequence (if the critter is not dead yet). After that I "go slice crazy" for the next 30 seconds, do something to restore balance (has pirana been "fixed"?) and then start analyze over again on the next critter.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 11:12 PM CST
>I don't understand. You are landing a debuff just fine, but are upset you can't land all 3 debuffs before the first expires or the critter dies? You aren't meant to land all 3 on a minion-level critter... Just like it would be pointless to spend 500000 mana casting 5000 debuffs spells on a single critter.

As I said in my post before the one that was quoted, I wasn't complaining, but was trying to figure out some things about it. Sorry if it came across as a complaint. After fiddling around I was confused about how it worked, and since this was a tactics spot that was getting a lot of attention... well... shrug

>Do you also realize you can analyze multiple times to increase the potency and duration of each debuff?

No, I had no idea. Time to experiment some more. I'm just trying to figure it all out.
Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 11:24 PM CST
:nod: In general BUFFS and DEBUFFS are not going to be necessary if what you are fighting can die easily. Just like APPRAISE won't help if you already know the item/critter's stats, and TELEPORTING and TRAILS are unnecessary if your travel scripts can get you there faster. There are times when all of these are useful, but training requires constant use, not just use when things are difficult.

The new boss system is coming along nicely. You'll have minions (everything you can hunt today), Veterans, Champions, Elites and Unique type enemies. Just need to work out how these will spawn in the field and via invasions. These types of enemies are where you'll find tactics (and other buffs/debuffs) come in extremely handy.

Re: Tactics 03/02/2013 11:37 PM CST
Thanks Kodius! Can't wait for some more mob variation.
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 12:16 AM CST
We'll see... somehow I think most folks will be annoyed by anything requiring them to pay attention to the game or risk dying :P

Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 12:36 AM CST
Anything that keeps script monkey's awake is a Good Thing in my book.
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 01:26 AM CST
>Ok.. completing a combo now gives Tactics EXP. A decent bit too. Let me know how it feels.

Is this a Barbarian only Bonus or a any guild who completes a combo gets the bonus (I don't get into combat, and well my tactics is far above ALL my combats, so I don't get a feel for experience gain either way).

I like to stay informed, not a gripe either way.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 04:05 AM CST
This is for everyone.

Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 07:02 AM CST
I think it's cool. Thanks for keeping the game interesting and evolving. Also, thanks for being so patient with us while we hash out our feelings, etc. All in all, I think you are doing an incredible job, Kodius. Maybe those epic boss critters will carry some epic gear?

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 08:24 AM CST
>All in all, I think you are doing an incredible job, Kodius.

Yes, I concur with the pink one completely!

>Maybe those epic boss critters will carry some epic gear?

I think Epic Boss critters should have an epic gear item, but regular Boss critters should just have some nice loot.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 12:44 PM CST
Not that I want to steal any attention. Kodius I posted a question about tactics for Empaths in the Empath folder for when you get a chance would you mind providing your insight on it?

Thanks.
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 04:26 PM CST
Suggestion: Typically I'd drop the question into a place the GM would be reading, instead of requesting him come to a folder.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 05:22 PM CST
While I tend to agree the question was specific to Empaths and I felt that it would be more necessary for Empaths to have a chance to read it (Not everyone peruses all the forums). This also leads into posts about updates not getting to the general public because they end up in forums people don't read.

(Read:) This is what happened with the experience change to Analyze in combat providing Tactics experience. It was posted about here in the Barbarian forums but never cross posted in the relevant folder that it should have been. Not that this is a hit against the GM's but since the question was specific to Empaths and not Barbarians the response should have been in a location that the general Empath populace would peruse the forums. If this didn't happen and stuff was easily cross posted I wouldn't have tried to grab his attention albeit very short for a simple answer.
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 10:08 PM CST
I cant wait to see the new systems (expertise and endurance) for endurance, although I certainly hope that Lore Primaries would get some unique tactics stuff as well. Was I a tactics primary I would feel a bit miffed if a tactics tert got nicer tactics capabilities than I do.
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4