Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 10:16 AM CST
>If I get my way, all Guilds will have one unique potential Tactical combo effect. Lore guilds may get additional perks, but we've not hashed those out yet.

Thanks for all your work Kodius. We all do appreciate it a lot. I see a lot of cool things with Tactics and it appears you potentially do to. So I will wait for our big break. Since I do play a Barb on the occasion I can't wait to see what those combos entail as well.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 10:22 AM CST
I need to eventually rewrite it to offer slice vs puncture vs multiple damage type combos more effectively. If anything though, combos favor more versatile weapons - which is a good thing since folks often overlook them in favor of MORE SLICE.

If the moves fatigue you I recommend getting more stamina, a lighter weapon, or use BOB in between or swing slower to recover fatigue faster.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 12:43 PM CST
Sounds excellent.

Although if i could get an ubersmite that be nifty to.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 12:43 PM CST
Sounds excellent.

Although if i could get an ubersmite that be nifty to.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 12:44 PM CST
>>If the moves fatigue you I recommend getting more stamina

I hear Kodius as Herger the Joyous here. "Grow stronger."

~The Prydaen~
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 12:46 PM CST
I think barbs also have a stamina enhancer, which helps a lot. I mix tactics manuevers into my combat, and simply doing that keeps my fatigue nice and good despite using very heavy weapons.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 01:25 PM CST

"which is a good thing since folks often overlook them in favor of MORE SLICE."

Yeah I due to the combo system being how it was I dusted off my
A kertig metal cinquedea is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A kertig metal cinquedea trains the large edged skill.

You are certain that it could do:
great puncture damage
moderate slice damage
fair impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The metal cinquedea is poorly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the cinquedea is decently balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the metal cinquedea is unusually resilient to damage, and is in pristine condition.

I gotta say I like it a lot, its very fun being able to do combos such as feint/jab/jab/draw/slice/thrust...or I can just feint/jab stuff to death with a thrust thrown in. I see a lot of people using big slice/impact weapons but I hope that a more precision style of combat is still viable for S'Kra such as Heitak, the combo system really seems to help me get into that.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 01:42 PM CST
I find myself liking lighter weapons much more now because of the combo system.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 02:09 PM CST
Yeah, my feel is that faster swinging weapons will get more shots and thus more advantage from a combo'd critter.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 02:28 PM CST
Any chance that analyze could trigger with weapons in the off-hand. Right now if you use a weapon in your off-hand but nothing in your right it triggers brawling instead of the weapon.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 03:33 PM CST
Do the side effects of a analyze go off your weapon?

Puncture = More Armor Pierce
Slice = More Damage
Impact = More Balance penalty

(?)
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 11:15 PM CST
Not currently no.

And I'll add offhand checking to the list.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 04:17 PM CST

As long as we aren't forced into using the "combo" system, or anything like it to learn expertise. I can't see having to type analyze, and then having to scroll back up the combat messaging to find the output, and then typing that in ...to learn expertise as something I'll like doing.

It's a cool system. I am sure others enjoy it. It gives a good bonus, but I hope that it isn't something we will HAVE to use to learn expertise.
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 06:33 PM CST
Its why it be nice if ATTACK following an ANALYZE just followed the combo. I have coded around this with Genie as have lots of others, but it seems a little harsh to expect it to be used as such with the amount of text scrolling through a screen, especially with people with slower weapons or at younger ages (where rt tends to be higher).
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 06:40 PM CST
It's not like you can't analyze again and get the next link in the combo. And in fact if you do that you increase the penalty the combo applies.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 08:18 PM CST
>>seems a little harsh

I do hope to implement a Tactics window at some point to store information like this. Without a graphical UI we just cannot easily show status for group combat easily.

>>As long as we aren't forced into using the "combo" system, or anything like it to learn expertise.

So... what would you like to see? I actually developed the combo system as a foundation for Expertise and Endurance and was leaning towards a self-combo system where you figure out what actions would put you in the best position for a finishing move or short-duration self-buff. Other tie-ins with boss mechanics are also likely. Expertise would have some special tie-ins to siege warfare too, but that is still a bit of a ways off.

If we don't involve combos with expertise, and we are unable to brainstorm other good ideas, I'm not sure the skill will ever get developed. I have my creative limits :/

Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 08:29 PM CST
Kodius, I so very much hope you ignore anyone saying they don't want to use the Combo system. Maneuvers are still an adequate way to train Tactics if you can't be buggered to read output and type variable input. If it's a scripting issue, it's really not terribly complicated to code.
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 08:46 PM CST
>Kodius, I so very much hope you ignore anyone saying they don't want to use the Combo system. Maneuvers are still an adequate way to train Tactics if you can't be buggered to read output and type variable input. If it's a >scripting issue, it's really not terribly complicated to code.

I wouldn't say completely ignoring them is a smart choice. Players are varying skill play this game. Just because something is simple to you doesn't mean it is to others. People might need longer adjustment times and so on so forth.

Listening to peoples legitimate complaints are ways to define and improve a system (Potentially). Not every complaint is viable. For a novice player or someone that is a slower reader or doesn't have the best memory this could be a realistic problem. I believe creating a graphical UI or some sort would be a wonderful way for this to be stored.

While its not a valid issue for me (I have a script already for Combos) I could technically see this being an issue for some players.
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 09:24 PM CST
>Its why it be nice if ATTACK following an ANALYZE just followed the combo.

Didn't Kodius say it would be nightmarish to impossible to do this, either in this thread or another one? That the 'attack' command couldn't bear the weight of external modifiers? Remember, DR is not a robust and flexible engine. It's a 49 CC moped that we've strapped nitrous and a pair of mag wheels to, at this point. And probably a hamster wheel for safety.

Pants.
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 09:33 PM CST
I believe he said that it would just make combos the de facto effect of combat as a whole, and thus make them overpowered. If combos are the only way to train the branching tactics skills, like expertise, I see this happening anyway and ATTACK tracking Analyze would make sense. If, like now, expertise etc are trainable like tactics in non-combo manners, his point makes sense.

I think it'd be fine to leave things as they are and just make sure to add alternative methods of training expertise etc outside the combo system, even with lessened efficiency and obviously lacking the cool effects of combos. Just like bob etc now for tactics. The combos are easily addressed via script or manual combat (no one playing DR realistically has a problem remembering a renewable 2-5 sequence of words for 15-20 seconds), but if they are the ONLY way to train expertise etc, it doesn't seem fair to lock people into the extremes of either: (1) having a relatively complicated genie script in hand, or (2) manually inputting all attacks to learn a vital skill.
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 09:37 PM CST
Heh, yeah there is no feasible way for make ATTACK follow combos. I also don't want it to just because the game shouldn't play itself. It'd be like having a generic "spell" you prep and the game decides what it "SHOULD" have been for maximum effect.

I'm hoping to get a few areas converted to spawning Tier 1 (veteran) bosses this weekend. Hopefully that perks folks up a bit.

Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 09:44 PM CST
I'll the second the vote for keeping the combo system for expertise. It seems to me that one of the concerns with this was a Tactics tie in making it less effective at level due to Tactics being a tert skill. It also seemed that this concern had been somewhat alleviated but other posters?

>>but if they are the ONLY way to train expertise etc, it doesn't seem fair to lock people into the extremes of either: (1) having a relatively complicated genie script in hand, or (2) manually inputting all attacks to learn a vital skill.

I honestly don't see any problem with these as the only options. If there are others, great, but having to input commands manually isn't a great argument against a system in my mind. Not having a one-click EXPERTISE button is a non-issue to me.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 09:54 PM CST
<<I also don't want it to just because the game shouldn't play itself. It'd be like having a generic "spell" you prep and the game decides what it "SHOULD" have been for maximum effect.>>

People are going to do this anyway, as evidenced by the almost-instant adoption of a genie table. And it was only a week out of the gate in 3.0 before I saw a short script from someone that would auto-adjust whatever spell you prepped to the new prep cap without your input. Leilond has some of the most incredible short-script-macros ever for things like that.

The issue to me is that if you tie a system like combos (possible to script for experienced players; very difficult to script for casual players) to the ONLY method of learning a vital skill, you put newer folks in a hole. The experienced people that want to use combos as de facto combat attack cycles are going to do it regardless of whether you make ATTACK default or not. Not doing so just makes it tougher for the middle ground folks and newbs. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I personally don't use combos in my attack cycle now (I don't like the penalties from a lot of the moves), but it's something that's fair to consider in making the decision.

I guess all I'm saying is make expertise etc learnable in ways outside combos so that people utilize those by choice for the advantages etc, not because they have to to learn a skill.
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 09:58 PM CST
Sorry for the double post.

Super looking forward to the boss stuff, Kodius, and the system as a whole is totally awesome in my opinion. I was just hashing over some thoughts on the future stuff.

<<If there are others, great, but having to input commands manually isn't a great argument against a system in my mind.>>

It's not "having to input," it's that one section of the player base with certain skills and front-end etc is considerably advantaged. Maybe that's fine. I remember the days when you actually had to script very well to optimize "mind lock" pulse rates and there was a huge variation between those who could not script well and those that could. This reminds me of that, that's all.
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 09:58 PM CST
>>People are going to do this anyway, as evidenced by the almost-instant adoption of a genie table. And it was only a week out of the gate in 3.0 before I saw a short script from someone that would auto-adjust whatever spell you prepped to the new prep cap without your input. Leilond has some of the most incredible short-script-macros ever for things like that.

The two [game doing it vs developing scripts, etc] are not the same thing.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 10:51 PM CST
>>It's not "having to input," it's that one section of the player base with certain skills and front-end etc is considerably advantaged. Maybe that's fine. I remember the days when you actually had to script very well to optimize "mind lock" pulse rates and there was a huge variation between those who could not script well and those that could. This reminds me of that, that's all.

That's accurate I suppose. I'm not super concerned with doing it the fastest/bestest, so it doesn't tend to bother me if my methods aren't THE most optimized. As long as they aren't useless, I'm good. I was just sharing my point of view from that angle. I didn't mean it as a direct attack on your take, so apologies for quoting you to make my case. The viewpoint of those who do strive for the utmost in optimized efficiency do deserve to be considered as well.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 05:23 AM CST

>>>Kodius, I so very much hope you ignore anyone saying they don't want to use the Combo system.

It's not about not wanting to use the combo system, it's about HAVING to use the combo system, or something like it to train Expertise. My Characters tactics are at very, high mind states with just bob, weave, circle....not an issue. My barb's tactics are double what he needs to circle, and will continue to grow.

However, having to use a system that seems very "clunky" to train a "guild only" skill, (thus something I'd imagine will have to be trained somewhere close to my primary weapon)...I have concerns.

I think the combo system has a place in the game. I am glad Kodius took the time to code it, and grateful for everything that has happened "3.0" wise...however, looking at the combo system, and thinking that I may HAVE (<<key work again) to use it (thus scrolling back up through combat scroll, to find my combo, and then type it in) to train a primary skill...worries me.

Kodius,

I guess I need a little more understanding of what "expertise" is supposed to do....if we had guild only pre-created combos...

Maybe they could be "multi-strike" commands.. "speed" and the output would be 2-5 (depending on skill) jabs with the roundtime tacted on at the end, or "power" with multiple slices/sweeps, etc...

Why should mages be the only one with multi-strikes?
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 08:40 AM CST
I'm wondering if you're saying that as someone who has played ANY other guild. You want to talk about weird random stuff you HAVE to do to train a guild specific skill? Look at Clerics, Warmies, Moonies, or Rangers. Or you know, EVERYTHING TRADERS DO.

I really don't see what the big issue is; if you can't read DR fast enough to catch part of a line of high lightable text from a command, you're doing something weird. If you can't think of a way to script it, just say so and someone can help you. I think this is a very weird complaint; that Barbarians are finally getting some really cool combat options, but some people don't want it because 'typing something, reading the output, and typing that output back' is just too complicated.

Astral Travel is literally just as complicated; you type POWER, look at one of two outputs, and input that output.
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 09:42 AM CST
>>I really don't see what the big issue is; if you can't read DR fast enough to catch part of a line of high lightable text from a command, you're doing something weird.

I kinda thought this myself, but was afraid to say so in case hunting gets 10 times more scrolly at some level I have yet to reach.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 09:50 AM CST
>>However, having to use a system that seems very "clunky" to train a "guild only" skill, (thus something I'd imagine will have to be trained somewhere close to my primary weapon)...I have concerns. <<

Using the combo system is actually pretty easy, even if you script it. That said, I'm sure abilities like dervish, stomp, etc will train expertise.

>>Why should mages be the only one with multi-strikes?<<

They aren't. We have whirl, we're getting dual load back when weapon feats are out.

Your body tightens as you draw your arms together in a sinuous, flowing motion, mimicking the form you were trained to adopt for this roar of warning.
Kodius fled to the west in terror!
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 11:54 AM CST

Expertise is not out yet, it could end up as many things. I like the tactics system I think its cool, expertise could be a few things with some combo attacks as part of it, even 2 hit combos where the second attack is a special move and the first one sets it up.

1) Feint/rend so you feint an attack causing an opening that lets you flank the target and doing a slash attack that causes vicious bleeding and puts you in a superior position causing the target to need to now face you again.
2) I'm all for parry/strikes and power parry attacks,( one could put you into a parry position and when you parry the attack you land an auto attack that by passes a % of the attackers defenses, if they choose to not attack and try and wait for the ability to drop you could have the option to go into another expertise attack).
3) Power parry could cause the attacker to now have extra RT for the next 2 actions or something, or have his defenses dropped a bit.
4) Expertise attacks that auto target body parts with no penalty, 2 of them to the hand and thus the target is for the most part disarmed not being able to use that hand or causing attacks with that hand to now be at a negative. Also attacking the legs to cause the target to not be able to run away or cause them to defend with a negative.
5) A combo with a knock back at the end that puts the attacker at pole and the attack after gives a bonus to thrown or bow/crossbow or pole attacks also opening the option for a charge attack putting you back at melee.

These are just quick ideas off the top of my head, but in my study of Arnis/Kali and a few other things, attacks come in combinations. I use a few things to set you up so I can go in for the kill. Sometimes I just am able to use 2 quick techniques to take my target down. I'm just trying to be positive, for all I know none of this can be coded the way I said it but the idea of things like this maybe spark something we can do. I'm just saying sometimes I just throw out attacks and power shots, but sometimes I set my target up for techniques and that is when things get fun. I hope this helps.

Heitak
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 02:26 PM CST
I'm pretty confused here.

I don't really see the difference between typing "draw" 4 times and typing "draw/slice/feint/feint."

Is remembering the combo the issue? If so, I think if you give it some time you will "ease" into the new system. The game has tons of stuff you have to memorize. Spells, weapons, area locations, etc. etc. This seems on the low end of the "remembering" stuff difficulty.
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 03:10 PM CST

>>> They aren't. We have whirl, we're getting dual load back when weapon feats are out

Whirl is more of an AOE, but yes, that and dual load is what I think about when I think about training Expertise. Not typing analyze and scrolling back up for a combo...
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 03:14 PM CST

>>>I'm wondering if you're saying that as someone who has played ANY other guild

Yes, I play several other guilds. There is a reason my Barb is one of my highest characters...I enjoy his simplicity. When I see that may be going away, I'll speak out.

thanks.
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 03:45 PM CST
I just don't see how the combo system is even remotely complicated. Firstly, you can highlight the text string if you can't handle combat scroll. Secondly, after each hit is landed, another ANALYZE will tell you what's next (PROTIP: This is how you can script it easily!). Thirdly, you already have reason to analyze more than once, as each ANALYZE increases the debuff from the combo. And fourthly, adding depth and complexity is a GOOD thing. If all you want to do is run an attack script that rotates weapons and armor while maintaining a Warding and Aug form up and periodically roaring, then fine, that's your prerogative, but don't demand everyone be subject to that as well.

Incidentally, weapon/armor/IF abilities swapping is way more complicated than the combo system. I'm just having a really hard time understanding how you could want it to be more simple.
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 04:04 PM CST

>>>that's your prerogative, but don't demand everyone be subject to that as well.

I am hard pressed to find where I demanded anything of anyone, or ask for the combo system to be scrapped or anything remotely close to that. Please quote me doing so, if I've missed it. All I've done is state that I would prefer not to be forced into using it, by tying it into expertise.

thanks.
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 07:18 PM CST

>All I've done is state that I would prefer not to be forced into using it, by tying it into expertise.

Uh... Yes... That's precisely what I'm talking about. By asking for an entirely separate system, because the combo system is... I dunno, what, too complicated? too involved? not thematically what you want? you are asking to not use the combo system. And my point is, I don't understand why you would complain about this. Or do you have an entirely new system that is simple, robust, and thematically more in line with what you think expertise should be?
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 07:43 PM CST

>>>Uh... Yes... That's precisely what I'm talking about.

Yet, at no point and time have I asked anyone not to use it, demanded it be removed, or cried over it's development and it is at present usable (or will be?) for learning tactics. Simply put, I have said it's cool, I can see it's uses, and I'm glad for it and the other improvements via 3.0. However, yes, I have given my opinion....on the forums, that'd I'd rather see another path for expertise and have even given some suggestions.

thanks.
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 08:00 PM CST
I see a lot of pros with this system for barbarians:

*Being tert, tactics locks fast and easy (it's much slower for my lore prime character), so it only takes a few analyze and executes.

*I like that I don't have to bob and weave, but can analyze, smash faces, consequently move my weapons AND tactics at the same time.

*The finishing blow has some nice stunning power.

*I think tactics was more than fairly calculated for us, considering it's a tert skill, but utilized 2 parts primary (MO and brawling) and 2 parts tertiary (scholarship), with an average of secondary upon grandfathering.

*Right now, with the exp bonus from humming and the gang, many of us likely are moving tactics at a primary rate.

I do have one request/suggestion. This may help alleviate some concerns of the people who are not fans of scrolling back, opening up windows, or making match tables. What if after you succesfully analyze, if you type attack over and over, the following swings will try to complete the combo? Like you need to do thrust, chop, jab, feint... you put attack and miss, attack and successfully thrust, attack and successfully chop, attack and successfully jab, attack and miss the feint, attack and connect on the feint. Just a thought.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Tactics 03/07/2013 08:54 PM CST
Kodius has stated that having ATTACK switch to whats next in the combo is not going to happen. I think his statement was 'I don't want the game to play itself' and frankly, I totally agree.

If you are manually handling all your combat, then just highlight the string that comes out of an ANALYZE; ANALYZE is only a 1-3s RT, and you aren't going to be handling a combo from a single ANALYZE anyway.

>However, yes, I have given my opinion....on the forums, that'd I'd rather see another path for expertise and have even given some suggestions.

I'm not sure why you're having problems with this; I know this is what you've stated, and I know that you've got issues with the Combo system being tied to expertise. I've been repeatedly pointing out to you that your issues are silly, and your contentions seem very baseless.