Prev_page Previous 1 3
Earthquake 03/07/2013 11:10 AM CST
Status check please? How close are we to getting this ability?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:36 AM CST
Curious how its going to work. AoE pulsing damage sounds like it should use TM. Not aware of any other supernatural contests that have a precedent for actually dealing damage. If it was an AoE unbalancing power that would seem to make more sense (IMO).
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 10:12 AM CST
<Not aware of any other supernatural contests that have a precedent for actually dealing damage. >

Since these supernatural contests (NOT A MAGIC CONTEST) are new with 3.0, no precedent's have been set. AND earthquake was intended to do damage for engaged foes, so this should SET the precedent.

______
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 10:31 AM CST
>Since these supernatural contests (NOT A MAGIC CONTEST) are new with 3.0, no precedent's have been set. AND earthquake was intended to do damage for engaged foes, so this should SET the precedent.

Oh come on. Barbarian inner fire abilities should follow the same rules as magic. I wouldn't be against barbarians having a TM analog in their skill set. And then get damaging roars and war stomps and such.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 10:41 AM CST
Barbarians must leave combat to start meditations.

Meditations are the barbarian equivlent of utility spells.

No utility should be castable in combat.

Inner fire and barbarian abilities are NOT magic, they are supernatural. If they are considered magic, please fix all utility spells (all non TM spells I would say) to not be castable in combat.

______
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 11:44 AM CST
>Inner fire and barbarian abilities are NOT magic

Yes they are.

>Meditations not-in-combat

It's a design choice made by your GM. Not relevant to anyone else since it's a unique mechanic with unique benefits and drawbacks.

>please fix all utility spells (all non TM spells I would say) to not be castable in combat.

I'm sure they'll get right on that.

Pants.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 12:19 PM CST
>>No utility should be castable in combat.

No utility spells cause direct damage. All SUPERNATURAL abilities that cause damage use the TM contest. If you guys get to short cut that entirely, then why do I (also a supernatural tert) have to train TM? The system has put into place some rather easy standards to follow along, and if you start ignoring them to be a special snowflake than that doesnt make much sense to me. Barbs SHOULD get a way to train TM to be honest, and TM could probably use a name change.

Anyhow, my presumption is earthquake will be changed to not dealing damage and instead be some sort of debilitation effect as to avoid the entire mess.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 02:58 PM CST
Barbarians can't get Targeted Magic. Supernatural abilities are not magic in nature and have no IC reason why they'd need targeting like this. My preference is for Earthquake to trigger pulsing AoE melee attacks using Expertise, melee skill or some combination of that. Expertise actually makes for a good contest for these types of things.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 03:15 PM CST
Thank you Kodius. I just get frustrated with people trying to paint out supernatural skills and abilities as magic.

They are NOT MAGIC.. Stop trying to force us into that box.

______
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 03:57 PM CST
Yikes, can I get a supneratural slot costing aoe damaging ability that works off my primary skill set to?

Sorry this seems like an enormous cop out to the supernatural placement of the barbarian guild, and not in line with any design direction that I have seen in 3.0. Are forms, meditations and berserks supernatural? Don't they cost the equivalent of supernatural 'slots'? If so everything about them should work off that skill set(Supernatural) like they do for every other supernatural skill in the game. Extending the logic proposed, it should be possible to have a spell that attacks a target but utilizes Heavy Edge for its attack contest in lieu of TM. That does not seem right, so I do not understand the free pass Barbarians would receive on training TM. This seems far worse for game health than simply renaming Targetted Magic to make it work with the Barbarian RP.

This feels like a big slap in the face to supernatural tert guilds that have had to back train TM, and I imagine other guilds wont be happy barbarians can do aoe damage via a supernatural slot ability utilizes a primary skill set.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:03 PM CST
>>They are NOT MAGIC.. Stop trying to force us into that box.

Forms, Meditations and Berserks are all superantural. There is a skill set of skills that DR 3.0 uses to fuel the effectiveness of supernatural powers. All of your other abilities work off skills from that skill set, as does every spell in the game. If suddenly you can replace one skill with another from a different family, then that just seems very unfair for those of us that are also supernatural terts and have to train a tert skill to 'hurt' things with our own abilities.

Frankly I'm having trouble even following the logic of Expertise applying to this contest on a RP level. Can you explain how mastery of weapons and weapon maneuvers(expressly mundane and non magical) allows someone to better cause an earth quake around them to hurt people (um...very NOT mundane).
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:08 PM CST
Thanks kodius

- Buuwl
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:14 PM CST
Rewyn,

You continue to blow up about stuff you have no business talking about. You obviously have no idea what Earthquake is.

Earthquake does not cause an actual earthquake. It's supposed to be a series of melee attacks. Similar to how Rimefang works. Just like Tornado or Wildfire does not cause actual tornadoes or wildfires.

>>Yikes, can I get a supneratural slot costing aoe damaging ability that works off my primary skill set to?

Your AoE damaging abilities that works off your primary skillset comes from the magic skillset. AoE damaging abilities are not some kind of signature for the magic skillset, they just haven't been properly done in mundane form.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:15 PM CST
I don't understand the argument that magic has a monopoly on AOE over weapons. It's not comparable to bards using vocals for screams as TM or something. Weapons and TM do damage, always been that way. I don't see any contradiction in design or anything else by having overlap between the two in the form that the damage takes. It'd be like saying everyone using an enchanted weapon with elemental damage is cheating out of the magic skillset because, up to that point, elemental damage was only available through magic. Or that thieves have always hacked magic by using backstab as a DFA.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:17 PM CST
And Whirlwind had already set the precedent on non-magic AoE damage anyway. Thanks Traim.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:31 PM CST
>>Sorry this seems like an enormous cop out to the supernatural placement of the barbarian guild, and not in line with any design direction that I have seen in 3.0. Are forms, meditations and berserks supernatural? Don't they cost the equivalent of supernatural 'slots'? If so everything about them should work off that skill set(Supernatural) like they do for every other supernatural skill in the game. Extending the logic proposed, it should be possible to have a spell that attacks a target but utilizes Heavy Edge for its attack contest in lieu of TM. That does not seem right, so I do not understand the free pass Barbarians would receive on training TM. This seems far worse for game health than simply renaming Targetted Magic to make it work with the Barbarian RP.

Backstab's primary non-magical damage that gives a magic-like effect, in the sense it exceeds normal combat. So does whirlwind, so did roars in 2.0.

As long as a skill check is involved, I don't see the issue.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:32 PM CST
Apologize on the RP element of how its expressed (Whirl of attacks vs upsetting of the earth). Either way its a supernatural ability, or else it would not cost you a supernatural skill slot. Despite that it ignores the supernatural skill set. If you can point out anywhere else in the system of 3.0 where this is the case then I would be welcome to hear it. I'm also just going to call crap on it for balance purposes. I would LOVE if my AoE powers worked off my primary skill set and if I did not have to train a tert skill to do so. If you strip the fanciful way of explaining things away it appears to me like this is a handy way for barbarians to get a pulsing AoE power and not have to worry about a pesky tert skill. The argument against it (OMG TM is MAGIC dummy, and we arnt MAGIC) seems silly given DR 3.0 went ahead and redefined almost everything in the "magic" skill set to being more vague and unspecified.

It would seem more balanced for TM to get renamed and opened to barbarians. Otherwise lets apply this logic to Rangers and Paladins (although frankly, I would not want that).
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:34 PM CST
>>And Whirlwind had already set the precedent on non-magic AoE damage anyway. Thanks Traim.

Pulsing AoE is not the same as an active AoE, unless Earth Quake costs you RT every time it fires off, I do not think the precedent has been set. They are very different tools in the tool box.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:37 PM CST

>>> My preference is for Earthquake to trigger pulsing AoE melee attacks using Expertise, melee skill or some combination of that. Expertise actually makes for a good contest for these types of things.

Sounds awesome. Thanks :)
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:42 PM CST
>.Pulsing AoE is not the same as an active AoE, unless Earth Quake costs you RT every time it fires off, I do not think the precedent has been set. They are very different tools in the tool box.

Then a new precedent will be established. It's about time, too. I'm long since tired of the "only magic can do that, letting you do that without magic is UNREALISTIC!" arguments. Bring on the expertise-based pulsing AOEs and the non-magical endurance-based dispel abilities.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:47 PM CST
All of your posts in the Barbarian folder are Paladin/Ranger driven. I realize they are also supernatural tert, but in many situations it really has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Barbarians are not using TM, and to continue to suggest it has become increasingly annoying.

Damaging AoE or pulsing damaging AoE has never been a monopoly of the supernatural skillset. Barbarians are offensive in nature, and so if a mundane guild was to get a pulsing damaging AoE ability then Barbarians would make a good case for it. Expertise is a guild-skill and is used to describe how Barbarians excel with weapons, so to make it seem like a skillcheck based off that skill for pulsing AoE damage is unreasonable shows a serious misunderstanding on how things work.

You keep bringing up skillsets, skillsets, and the fact that Barbarians are supernatural tert. Earthquake has nothing to do with skillsets, it's a mundane attack. AoE has nothing to do with skillsets. Pulsing damage AoE has nothing to do with skillsets.

Go to the Paladin folder and suggest an AoE defending ability that is supported by the Endurance skill and stop causing pointless arguments in the Barbarian folder for a change.

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:56 PM CST
I don't see any issue with barbarians have an AOE attack that works off expertise. Expertise still has to be trained in combat. The massive outcry with vocals was that it was trainable anywhere.

Also, I'm sure the "pulsing" version will drain IF. But, even if it didn't, why can't they keep it up forever? Mages can keep up AOE cyclic TM spells up forever at low-medium mana, I don't see any issues with Barbs doing the same. (Although there probably has to be some give-take for balance issues.)
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:57 PM CST
As long as the contested skill that does damage, etc... is something that's learned in combat (thus avoiding the vocals esque lulz) then I don't have a clue why people are bothered by Barbs having a combat AOE skill that pulses.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 04:59 PM CST
>>Also, I'm sure the "pulsing" version will drain IF.

Yup, Earthquake berserk would be a berserk afterall.

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 07:24 PM CST
<<<All of your posts in the Barbarian folder are Paladin/Ranger driven>>>

So beyond old, I don't even respond anymore. Honestly I feel bad for Kodius that he has to keep re-explaining things to Rewyn.

- Buuwl
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 07:49 PM CST
Rewyn: It is pretty bushleague in my book to go to another guild's folder and try to jam stuff they are getting or jam stuff they have. Non-TM AOE damage is seriously cool stuff. I thought earthquake was just whirlwind on steriods, which is pretty cool in my book. It also "feels" like a barbarian thing.

If you want cool stuff for paladins, go come up with some ideas and post them in the paladin folder. Endurance is wide open, have a ball.

Madigan
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 08:09 PM CST
>>Rewyn: It is pretty bushleague in my book to go to another guild's folder and try to jam stuff they are getting or jam stuff they have. Non-TM AOE damage is seriously cool stuff. I thought earthquake was just whirlwind on steriods, which is pretty cool in my book. It also "feels" like a barbarian thing.

This isnt about my guild, not in the least. I want some consistency game wide and this to me seems to be breaking what I understood to be the paradigm (although its very early in 3.0. I recognize there is no official paradigm yet). A power fueled off Inner Fire is clearly supernatural, and I feel that right now all supernatural 'attacks' that mimic the current templates all use that skill set. Whirlwind being a verb and taking rt really felt akin to smite or backstab in that its a unique verb, and its opportunity cost is its RT and its a rider on a current mechanic (i.e attack). Earthquake is a cyclical auto attack without RT, and to me clearly falls into the cyclical spell template, even if its being explained otherwise. The fact it will potentially be the first power to break away from how every other ability functions and uses a primary skill set for a supernatural tert guild as another supernatural tert guild feels like you guys got to pass go and skip jail on your placement. I fully understand the RP 'logic' behind it, but it just feels very convenient for me and I don't think other guilds get that sort of treatment at the moment. Maybe they will with this however, and that is my greater worry. Should Rebuke (magical shield bash) work off Shield? Should stampede work off Outdoormanship? I dont see why bard screams are being converted to TM and not working off performance with this logic. I understand the logic is "well they work off the spell matrix" but the GM's choose to go that route when developing those 'supernatural abilities'...

Anyhow I wont post any further here. This is not a 'nerf barbs' or 'buff my guild'. Actually very much the opposite, I want my supernatural tert nature to be a deficit, the cross I have to bare. Earthquake as written just seems so clearly superior to anything similar that other supernatural tert guilds could get, short cuts the learning issues we have to effectively get the same results of a cyclical range limited 'spell' (ability).
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 08:10 PM CST
>>If you want cool stuff for paladins, go come up with some ideas and post them in the paladin folder. Endurance is wide open, have a ball.

In addition, and here is a zany idea, enjoy some of the nice things that are coming out for the barbarian guild by continuing playing your barbarian you have spoken about. It's not like this is unavailable to you.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 08:21 PM CST
Rewyn: I disagree, but not bad arguments. Take them to a general folder IMO.

Madigan
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 08:22 PM CST
>>In addition, and here is a zany idea, enjoy some of the nice things that are coming out for the barbarian guild by continuing playing your barbarian you have spoken about. It's not like this is unavailable to you.

I havnt been on my barb or bard in quite a while, which isnt to do with the guild. I have just been very busy IRL (new job a few weeks ago). I do intend to play both quite a bit more, but, and I hope this does not come off as unathentic, the part of me that has issue with this is the Story Teller/Game Master side of me, not the player side of me. In my career of DR my current Paladin is really a very brief blip. I was a thief for ten years, was a moonie for probably closer to five. My paladin is about two years old or so, so its really not as much to do with vested interests.

That and of course, I like to debate game mechanics:) However in this instance I just see the design of things taking a left turn. Whirl wind makes sense to me, new attack verbs make sense to me. All that should work off attacks and expertise. Abilities that mechanically mimic spells at the moment with different (albeit logical) arguments that they should work off one skill instead of another to me seem to 'open pandoras box' for every guild to make these logical arguments.

Anyhow, theres nothing else to add. Blood and Honor my barbarian brothers (and sisters).
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 08:41 PM CST

>>>Earthquake is a cyclical auto attack without RT, and to me clearly falls into the cyclical spell template, even if its being explained otherwise. The fact it will potentially be the first power to break away from how every other ability functions and uses a primary skill set for a supernatural tert guild as another supernatural tert guild feels like you guys got to pass go and skip jail on your placement.

So, even though it will be an attack, with a weapon...you want it to use the TM skill? Basically, it will be a whirlwind done automatically (from my understanding of it)....but let's use the TM skill instead of the weapon skill.

Gotcha.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 08:43 PM CST
Fists and swords, sir. Fists and swords. Fare thee well.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 09:29 PM CST
>>This isnt about my guild, not in the least. I want some consistency game wide and this to me seems to be breaking what I understood to be the paradigm (although its very early in 3.0. I recognize there is no official paradigm yet). A power fueled off Inner Fire is clearly supernatural, and I feel that right now all supernatural 'attacks' that mimic the current templates all use that skill set. Whirlwind being a verb and taking rt really felt akin to smite or backstab in that its a unique verb, and its opportunity cost is its RT and its a rider on a current mechanic (i.e attack). Earthquake is a cyclical auto attack without RT, and to me clearly falls into the cyclical spell template, even if its being explained otherwise. The fact it will potentially be the first power to break away from how every other ability functions and uses a primary skill set for a supernatural tert guild as another supernatural tert guild feels like you guys got to pass go and skip jail on your placement. I fully understand the RP 'logic' behind it, but it just feels very convenient for me and I don't think other guilds get that sort of treatment at the moment. Maybe they will with this however, and that is my greater worry. Should Rebuke (magical shield bash) work off Shield? Should stampede work off Outdoormanship? I dont see why bard screams are being converted to TM and not working off performance with this logic. I understand the logic is "well they work off the spell matrix" but the GM's choose to go that route when developing those 'supernatural abilities'...

Few things about this.

First, precedent doesn't matter much. New stuff is cool as long as it's balanced properly: along with several barbs, two magic users and a Paladin have already commented they don't feel the the idea of the ability is unbalanced. Also, sometimes precedent is bad. See: Bards not having standard buffs for a long time because of precedent, Empaths being shoe-horned into nothing but healbots (the only reason death scars existed for a long time), among lots of other stuff.

Second, you're assuming a lot about how it will function, like the no RT, and forgetting many other things, like that it's going to be an expert level berserk (the barb equivalent of esoteric spells) that's duration and cost is still influenced by tertiary magic skills.

Third, we are drawing a clear distinction between combat skills and non-combat skills. bard screams should not be performance because of this. Should a magical shield Bash's attack skill be modified by shield ranks? Sure, why not! Should Stampede work off Outdoorsmanship? No, because it's a magic attack with debilitation effects, though I have no conceptual problem with Rangers getting some sort of disabling beseech modified by scouting if their system ever gets the reboot it deserves (but not the reboot it needs right now).

I think we've gone about as far as we can go with non-magical stuff, a bit tired of them just being a standard array of buffs. I'd love to see more new stuff that doesn't work off magic, even for the magic-using guilds.

tl ; dr Arguing something based solely on precedent has made for poor precedent in the past.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 09:41 PM CST
As an unrelated aside;

>Fists and swords, sir. Fists and swords.

This has a certain poetry to it. I'm having trouble lately getting my head into my Barbarian, and this helped.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 09:43 PM CST
>This has a certain poetry to it. I'm having trouble lately getting my head into my Barbarian, and this helped.

When not hosing Madigan down in his "party dungeon," Squanto can be quite the poet.
Re: Earthquake ::NUDGE:: 03/09/2013 09:45 PM CST

Take the bickering over to the conflicts folder.

Find a way to express yourselves without the bickering at each other.

Thanks.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 09:47 PM CST
>>So, even though it will be an attack, with a weapon...you want it to use the TM skill? Basically, it will be a whirlwind done automatically (from my understanding of it)....but let's use the TM skill instead of the weapon skill.

He's looking at it from a skill-set standpoint instead of a mundane vs. supernatural standpoint. He's failing to understand that just because all other AoE pulsing damage abilities are magical (or cyclics) doesn't mean the supernatural skill-set holds a monopoly on those types of attacks. As a result, he thinks that Earthquake (despite being mundane) should use the TM skill, and feels that Barbarians are escaping mechanics/design rules even though there was never such in place. I see his point but it's flawed.

There is never any reason to give a magic primary guild a mundane attack such as that, because a mundane attack would be suited for a weapon skill instead of TM. That's why all damaging cyclics/AoE pulsing damage abilities currently run through the supernatural/magic skillset.

Paladins and Rangers are both weapon secondary and I think it would be fitting for them to get a piece of some unique attacks (that are only ran through the mana/magic system) in mundane fashion, so that they can be based off weapon skills (and maybe armor/shield for Paladins).

/end thread

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/09/2013 09:53 PM CST
>Earthquake is a cyclical auto attack without RT, and to me clearly falls into the cyclical spell template, even if its being explained otherwise.

My current understanding: Earthquake will be a berserk. It will use 'standard' berserk mechanics. The effect will pulse because that's what berserks do. It will continually drain IF, because that's what berserks do. It will not train or use TM because it's not a spell. Barb abilities have a more stringent level interlock than spells, since they use a different system, and still require IF ranks to use them, so it's not bypassing skill checks as you seem to be raging about.

>feels like you guys got to pass go and skip jail on your placement. I fully understand the RP 'logic' behind it, but it just feels very convenient

Berserks are still subject to skill checks, they use specific mechanics. And honestly, if you'd followed the barb folders much, you'd see that IF is hardly the win-button you seem to be painting it as, vs. magic. You only get access to 1/3 your total pool at baseline, and most players find it difficult to impossible to raise it higher. Combine that with the ability to run a half-dozen abilities unless you're at the cap, and some of those specifically requiring out of combat starts, etc. etc. etc...

Kodius explained it a bit above, but supernatural isn't just 'renamed magic'. It uses several of the magic skills, but uses different mechanics, even if it gets the same results. Just like Khri.

Pants.
Re: Earthquake 03/11/2013 07:51 AM CDT
Rewyn - Asking for Earthquake to be TM is like saying Smite should use Mana. If you'd like a precedent for a non magical-supernatural non-mundane attack look closer to home. There's absolutely no reason to be getting upset about Barbarians getting a very cool new toy. Spend the mental energy in suggestions and ideas for Paladin stuffs.

More to topic - Expertise driven Weapon based AOE attacks sounds flippin' awesome. I just hope some love is shown to the pole ranged weapons and they work in their engagement ranges as Whirl used to. I'd personally even be thrilled to see it use both weapons assuming the Barbarian is holding 1 handers, might be an solid reason to work that offhand weapon. As for cost, I genuinely hope its not too terribly expensive that you chaps don't have to forsake most other abilities to muster the fire for it, but that'll be something we'll have to wait and see.

Samsaren
Re: Earthquake 03/11/2013 09:18 AM CDT
>>As for cost, I genuinely hope its not too terribly expensive that you chaps don't have to forsake most other abilities to muster the fire for it, but that'll be something we'll have to wait and see.

It's slated to be an expert-level berserk. Berserks are our most costly and shortest-duration abilities, so I don't expect that most barbs will be able to run the full gamut of their normal buffs and still use Earthquake comfortably.
Prev_page Previous 1 3