Re: Earthquake 03/11/2013 09:37 AM CDT
I mean, most barbs can't use a partial gamut of their normal buffs comfortably.
Re: Earthquake 03/11/2013 06:58 PM CDT
> Asking for Earthquake to be TM

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but seriously who has been flailing around randomly?
Re: Earthquake 03/11/2013 07:21 PM CDT
Erm to make something I said productive(maybe) I see Earthquake as a good berserk in design because (in my perception) it imitates a combat trance where your actions are occurring without you having to consiously think about them because you are so into the battle and one with your weapons. I like that concept.
Re: Earthquake 03/11/2013 09:56 PM CDT
How is that potentially different from the theme of the rest of our abilities?
Re: Earthquake 03/11/2013 10:11 PM CDT
Not too sure what you are getting at, but I do think that how players interpret the abilities is up to the individual to a point. I can say that it is in keeping with how real life berserks are recorded, entering into a mindless rage being a part of it, and some berserks besides Earthquake can definitely be interpreted that way if the individual wants to RP it that way in my opinion. The old berserks may have forced it too hard but research berserks and battle trances and you can see where a lot of the theory behind Barbarians 2.0 came from and I don't think it is out of line to RP that way in Barbarians 3.0, even though with how the abilities are constructed now it is more open for interpretation.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 08:59 AM CDT
I am not sure you need to explain Earthquake. It is a cool idea that fits (IMO) with a barbarian. Plug it in as a berserk. Done and done. Not to mention, it sets a great precedent for AOE XMundane. I am thinking Ring of Spears using shield skill is going to be in my next top ten list.

Madigan
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 09:26 AM CDT
Barbarians (and thieves and traders...) need a way to double up on their attacks in order to reach some kind of parity with everyone else imo.

When I do some quick napkin math it makes me sad for those three guilds.
Guild: potential simultaneous damage outputs
necromancers: weapon + tm + zombie + mudman
clerics, bards and wm's: weapon + tm + cyclic damage
moon mages: weapon + tm + cyclic damage (night only)
rangers and paladins: weapon + tm
empaths: guardian + manipulated enemy
barbs, thieves and traders: weapon + ?
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 11:33 AM CDT
>Barbarians (and thieves and traders...) need a way to double up on their attacks in order to reach some kind of parity with everyone else imo.

Whirlwind + offhand

350 ranks in both main and offhand weapon skills, 251 Offhand Weapon skill, and 30 Agility and 30 Reflexes.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 11:53 AM CDT
>>Whirlwind + offhand

Is that sustainable? I was under the impression that whirlwind was a sometimes move because it carried bad balance penalties.

I think even if it does that my points stands that those three guild's need another damage output to get closer to parity, earthquake + whirlwind seems like perfect fit for moving barbarians up near the top of that list I wrote up.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 12:14 PM CDT
Additional weapon outputs are to offset having a low damage output in weapons. Barbs being weapon primary don't need additional damage sources, but earthquake sounds like it'll be effectively a cyclic AoE.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 12:53 PM CDT
>>Additional weapon outputs are to offset having a low damage output in weapons. Barbs being weapon primary don't need additional damage sources

This doesn't make sense to me. Sure they learn their ranks faster but rank for rank their weapons do the same damage for them as my character's do, except my guys have cyclic damage and spells they can target while attacking with regular weapons and zombies and mudmen. I feel like if you paired one of my characters up with a barb, thief or trader who hunted the in the same area that my guy would out dps them easily, but maybe I'm somehow mistaken on that.

If I'm not wrong about it though I feel like abilities like Earthquake are the right way to bring those three guilds up a notch.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 02:26 PM CDT
But in order to take advantage of, say, RoS or SLS Zombies or such, a character must invest in Discipline and Wis/Int. Barbs don't have to do that, and as such, their 'total output dps' isn't divided between physical weapons and magic spells.

Obviously, a warmie with 50 strength/agil and 400 ranks of HE is going to output the same swings as a barb with 50 strength agil and 400 ranks of HE, but in order for that warmie to also take advantage of their magic, they'll have had to spread TDPs over other stats.

I dunno, I think there's room for improvement and more options, but a barbs self-buffs probably brings barbarian 'total DPS' to the same place that a MU finds themselves at with multiple avenues of damage. My high circle Necromancer for example can obviously output a lot of damage with USOL, TM, a Zombie and a mudman, but the disadvantage is he's got lower physicals, and lower ranks in weapons. Don't discount skillset placement; at 100th circle it's unlikely that a Necromancer will have more than 350 ranks of a weapon unless they specifically train for it, whereas a 100th circle barbarian will have 560 ranks.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 03:25 PM CDT
>>Not to mention, it sets a great precedent for AOE XMundane. I am thinking Ring of Spears using shield skill is going to be in my next top ten list.

I have no balance issue with your suggestion assuming I understand it (cyclic spell that uses shield skill as the skill check)?, but that doesn't make much sense to me? Shield bash should absolutely become A Thing and Paladins should have some improved version of it, maybe even a shield-aoe like whirlwind, though I find the mental image of a Paladin becoming a constantly-whirling shield of doom very thematically weird.

Actually never mind, that's totally hilarious. I'm on board, sign me up.

>>But in order to take advantage of, say, RoS or SLS Zombies or such, a character must invest in Discipline and Wis/Int. Barbs don't have to do that, and as such, their 'total output dps' isn't divided between physical weapons and magic spells.

Mages will have more TDPs by virtue of having more skills to train. I know some people swear up and down that it's not true, but it's common sense: TM and Utility and Arcana versus none of these means more TDPs. Those are also the experience stats, which is incentive enough to keep them high.

Someone mentioned dual-whirl. This is a command AOE, not damage over time like Ring of Spears or Telekinetic Storm or a Risen. It's also a shadow of what it was in 2.0, not even really worth using for experience gain at this point.

I don't feel there is any sort of dps disparity though. While maybe technically true, there is no arms-race need for barbs to get a DOT berserk using expertise. I just think it's really cool and wanna see it, don't care much about GvG arguments and don't see it being some sort of game-changer for PvP given inner fire restrictions and it's probable cost.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 03:37 PM CDT
<<Discipline and Wis/Int. Barbs don't have to do that, and as such, their 'total output dps' isn't divided between physical weapons and magic spells. >>

Barbs have to invest in Disc Wis/Int what are you talking about?

<< the rest of what you wrote. >>

makes equally little sense sorry, not trying to be snarky, but its nonsense.

- Buuwl
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 03:43 PM CDT
>> a character must invest in Discipline and Wis/Int

EVERYONE must invest in these, Discipline is still one of the most useful stats in the game and a tremendous amount of spells are SvW. When IF gets linked to a stat, it will most likely be Discipline and it will be as valuable to us as it is for Thieves.

>> Mages will have more TDPs by virtue of having more skills to train. I know some people swear up and down that it's not true, but it's common sense: TM and Utility and Arcana versus none of these means more TDPs. Those are also the experience stats, which is incentive enough to keep them high.

This has always been true by virtue of that Barbs have to go out of their way to make up that deficit, though it's closer now than it's ever been in the past with Masteries and Defending.

>> It's also a shadow of what it was in 2.0, not even really worth using for experience gain at this point.

I wouldn't say that.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 04:24 PM CDT
Having such a high focus on Dis/Int is actually a benefit IMO. People still get away with having 80 Dis/Int and 40 Str/Sta these days. While reflex/agility is no longer absolute king, I do think some more emphasis on Str/Sta could be placed for weapon usage, and maybe even for spells.

Stat contests already favor the attacker. Now that guilds are getting to be more versatile when it comes to spell selection it becomes just about impossible to successfully defend against these contests when the offensive end for most spell contests include the same two stats. Not to mention someone can simply use a roar helm, add more mana, change spell stances, etc... and good luck trying to actually defend against spell contests. Anti-magic/fear barriers are needed to help balance it out so I don't view them as an actual drawback to any stat contest.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 04:53 PM CDT
Barbs do not invest in Disc/Wis/Int to the same extent that mages must. By all means though, high circle barbs, please post your stats to indicate how this is incorrect; I would be extremely surprised to see a barb with mentals comparable to the mentals of a mage. Similarly, magic primes or secondaries probably don't have the same physicals as barbarians this is not the same as saying 'Warmies/Clerics/Bards/Necromancers must train strength/agility/stamina'.

And as for this 'mages have more TDPs by product of having more magic skills; this is a laughable claim. Barbs have had access to the largest skillset in the game for an extremely long time, while mages up until recently were training a skillset with only 5 skills. Most barbarians have trained an impressive array of of weapons as well; at the very least, most barbs will train enough weapons to offset not having access to TM, Utility, and Arcana. This claim is almost annoying at this point in the game; barbs don't have access to 3 of the magic skills, and will easily train more than 3 weapons to mitigate the loss of TDPs this represents over a mage. My barb trains Poles, HE, HB, Brawling, Bows, Offhand, and LT, and I consider this extremely lazy Barbarianism.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 05:24 PM CDT
>>Barbs do not invest in Disc/Wis/Int to the same extent that mages must. By all means though, high circle barbs, please post your stats to indicate how this is incorrect; I would be extremely surprised to see a barb with mentals comparable to the mentals of a mage.

Strength : 100 Reflex : 90
Agility : 90 Charisma : 95
Discipline : 90 Wisdom : 90
Intelligence : 90 Stamina : 90

In 2.0, my first 90s (and ironically my racially penalized stats) were intelligence and wisdom (many months ago), primarily for vs stealth reasons. Right now, I am focusing on my racial bonused stats (strength and charisma) to 100 since they are cheapest and awesome for roaring etc., then an even spread afterward. I always trained my stats pretty evenly on Squanto.

>>And as for this 'mages have more TDPs by product of having more magic skills; this is a laughable claim. Barbs have had access to the largest skillset in the game for an extremely long time, while mages up until recently were training a skillset with only 5 skills.

All my other at-level friends who trained WMs had many more TDPs than I had by virtue of having a magical skillset to draw upon in 2.0. Everyone "has access to the largest skillset in the game." It's not some exclusive thing that only barbs can train up.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 05:31 PM CDT
Strength : 100 Reflex : 100
Agility : 100 Charisma : 94
Discipline : 100 Wisdom : 92
Intelligence : 95 Stamina : 100

Intel/Wisdom/Disc were more than 10 points above all his other stats for most of his career. Did I mention hes Rakash?(+1 +2)

>> Barbs do not invest in Disc/Wis/Int to the same extent that mages must.

A mage is now required to be near as proficient in their capacity for defending as they are in attacking, like everyone else. This requires balance.

>> And as for this 'mages have more TDPs by product of having more magic skills; this is a laughable claim. Barbs have had access to the largest skillset in the game for an extremely long time, while mages up until recently were training a skillset with only 5 skills.

5 skills that could be scripted indefinitely at no real cost to the user. Let's not even go into that the TM caps on critters were much higher than weapon caps, and that PM and magic skills had no real cap.

>> Most barbarians have trained an impressive array of of weapons as well

That is a very recent trend; training that many weapons was impossible to do efficiently in the old system. You also fail to mention that mages can also train more weapons, and more efficiently at that(slower drain rate means higher effective bandwidth in the huge weapons skillset). And that's neglecting armors which are one of the best TDP holes in the game.

>> most barbs will train enough weapons to offset not having access to TM, Utility, and Arcana.

Some people prefer to do other things besides 'training to keep up with guild xyz'. This would constitute a typical Barbarian. It's not even worth mentioning how ridiculously far ahead of the game people like Galain/Tenion/Trop/Aurica were in their respective day and age.

>> My barb trains Poles, HE, HB, Brawling, Bows, Offhand, and LT, and I consider this extremely lazy Barbarianism.

By my standards, that's lazy for any guild. But that's not really the issue. Like I said, it's closer now than it's ever been before. When Traders and Thieves can train magicks as well, it will be even closer.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 05:32 PM CDT

>>>Everyone "has access to the largest skillset in the game." It's not some exclusive thing that only barbs can train up

Shhhhh, it's a secret.

Everyone trains up Disc, Int, Wis. Everyone can train weapons. BARBARIANS, can't train as many magics. Thus, more TDPS are available to other guilds. Add in the fact that other guilds are 20 circles ahead when they are in the same hunting grounds, and well...this whole argument becomes really, really, silly.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 05:37 PM CDT
<<By all means though, high circle barbs, please post your stats to indicate how this is incorrect; I would be extremely surprised to see a barb with mentals comparable to the mentals of a mage.>>

I think you'd be really surprised how incorrect you are about a great many things. I also think you are going straight into the equine cemetery with the barb versus mage TDP talk.

- Buuwl
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 07:13 PM CDT
>>Barbs do not invest in Disc/Wis/Int to the same extent that mages must. By all means though, high circle barbs, please post your stats to indicate how this is incorrect;

lol

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 07:51 PM CDT
With due respect, posting your stats when they're all at 100, or within 10 pts of 100 isn't exactly demonstrative of how your barb was advanced; most barbs I have spoken to on stat placement have strength, agility, and stamina ahead of Disc/Wis/Int as they are leveling. But impressive nevertheless!

I find this to be a really funny double standard; Mages can 'train indefinitely all magics (TM?) but Barbs cannot sit in combat and indefinitely train a number of weapons? Mages having access to training magic at a primary rate gives them more TDPs, but Barbs training Weapons at a primary rate doesn't give them more TDPs?

I understand that being able to train a wider number of skills simultaneously means you can keep more skills moving, but faster skill drainage means more ranks, means more TDPs as well. Barbarian and Paladin skillsets in particular mean with weapon and armor rotations, it's quite easy to keep a large number of skills moving; I'm surprised to hear anyone claim that barbs got a crappy deal with TDP gen.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 07:58 PM CDT
<<<understand that being able to train a wider number of skills simultaneously means you can keep more skills moving, but faster skill drainage means more ranks, means more TDPs as well. Barbarian and Paladin skillsets in particular mean with weapon and armor rotations, it's quite easy to keep a large number of skills moving; I'm surprised to hear anyone claim that barbs got a crappy deal with TDP gen. >>

I honestly don't understand why you are talking about this still.

- Buuwl
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 08:08 PM CDT
>>I'm surprised to hear anyone claim that barbs got a crappy deal with TDP gen.

Before I even bother breaking it down for you, are you talking about 2.0 or 3.0? In 3.0, I suppose there may be the tiniest advantage but it's really not worth talking about.

In 2.0 there was a noticable tdp imbalance.

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 08:21 PM CDT
>>I understand that being able to train a wider number of skills simultaneously means you can keep more skills moving, but faster skill drainage means more ranks, means more TDPs as well. Barbarian and Paladin skillsets in particular mean with weapon and armor rotations, it's quite easy to keep a large number of skills moving; I'm surprised to hear anyone claim that barbs got a crappy deal with TDP gen. <<

That would be because you don't have an actual clue as to what you're talking about. In 2.0 it was ridiculously easy to keep the same amount of skills moving as a barb plus five. If I decided to take my mage out of combat, I could keep all of his magics moving without any real strain. Find a good mana room and have at it. I went from gaining 70-90 tdps a day in 2.0 to 120+ in 3.0. My training routine hasn't changed one bit. Some of that gain is attributed to the two masteries and defending, but then couple that with the fact that I don't train stuff like light edged because it doesn't exist anymore and I'm training the same number of skills just with the supernaturals included.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 08:35 PM CDT
>>With due respect, posting your stats when they're all at 100, or within 10 pts of 100 isn't exactly demonstrative of how your barb was advanced

But you said:

>>Barbs do not invest in Disc/Wis/Int to the same extent that mages must. By all means though, high circle barbs, please post your stats to indicate how this is incorrect; I would be extremely surprised to see a barb with mentals comparable to the mentals of a mage.

So, what's with the double standard all of a sudden? Just admit you're wrong and move along.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 09:23 PM CDT
>I find this to be a really funny double standard; Mages can 'train indefinitely all magics (TM?) but Barbs cannot sit in combat and indefinitely train a number of weapons?

Do you not understand what 'in combat' and 'not in combat' means? Critters have caps. There are risks. Etc.

Scripting magic, out of combat, you can keep 10 skills going without much effort, without any risk, and without any caps, so you never run out of mana-node-spawns, never get injured, never cap out your spells, etc.

Pants.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 10:01 PM CDT
>>Scripting magic, out of combat, you can keep 10 skills going without much effort, without any risk, and without any caps, so you never run out of mana-node-spawns, never get injured, never cap out your spells, etc.<<

I wouldn't touch the rest of this thread if you paid me, but it's only 7 skills you can work out of combat without risk. Not much of an advantage since scripting magic out of combat is just about the least efficient way that you could train a character.
Re: Earthquake 03/12/2013 10:22 PM CDT
Long story short.

If Joe the Barb stayed in combat 24/7 TF style, there was never a tdp imbalance. But if he decides he wants to actually play DR by socializing (tea parties, giggle groups, chop it up with friends), RP'ing, sparring, attending events, tourneying, traveling, marrying, family'ing, bullying, etc... that's where the imbalance came. Cause while Joe the Barb is doing all these things and not gaining a lick worth of tdps, that's when Bob the mage has his 3-4 magick skillz mind locked while doing the same things. Granted, it wasn't too appropriate for Bob the mage to be training magick skillz while doing certain non-combat activities, but generally when he is out of combat he will be most efficient training those skills.

Over time, when Joe the Barb has finally, finally hit 800 ranks in his combats (let's include 6 weapons and defenses), sure Bob the mage only has a measly 600 in his 6 weapons and defenses. But then Bob the mage has 40984123098132098 ranks in his magicks, putting poor Bob to shame with tdp ownage.

The higher it got, the worse it became. Even if Joe trained every weapon, as long as Bob matched it, the tdps gained from learning at a primary rate paled in comparison to not being able to get any tdps at all when Bob starts reaching 5000+ total ranks in his magicks.

And there you have it. 3.0 is a lot better, and much thanks to the GMs who got it out and running.

-GM Abasha
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 01:21 AM CDT
This is so dead. And so forehead slapping dumb if you've ever tried to train a mage and barb both past 800 ranks in your primaries. All the grass is green guys!
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 06:30 AM CDT
>I wouldn't touch the rest of this thread if you paid me, but it's only 7 skills you can work out of combat without risk. Not much of an advantage since scripting magic out of combat is just about the least efficient way that you could train a character.

util
atun
PM
ward
aug
MD
percp
app
outdoor
Mech
Performance

Guild specific skills such as theurgy or Astrology
Sorcery (in some ways/cases)

So 11 skills right off that any magic user can script out of combat without risk. And 2 that are nominally either riskless (Sorcery is depending on spell, how you do it, etc.) or overly specific.

And no moving goal posts about efficiency. This was a post about scripting outside combat vs. in combat for TDP generation, and barbs lack the primary out-of-combat skills to script (i.e. most magics) that are such huge benefits to TDPs.

Pants.
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 07:08 AM CDT
>>And no moving goal posts about efficiency. This was a post about scripting outside combat vs. in combat for TDP generation, and barbs lack the primary out-of-combat skills to script (i.e. most magics) that are such huge benefits to TDPs.<<

Uh...at least five of the skills on your list have nothing to do with magic, for some of the rest barbs have their own analogs now, Sorcery is never risk free if you're casting, and if your post is about TDP farming in combat vs out of combat then efficiency is relevant - how could it not be?

I'm with Traim - this discussion is dumb and has been done to death.
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 07:26 AM CDT
There's a lot of moving of goal posts going on here, but since everyone was incapable of posting replies without an ad hominem (Aside from Vee-Rex) and an express desire to not talk about it, I'll let this drop.

Yay additional sources of damage when Earthquake is released.
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 08:20 AM CDT
>>With due respect, posting your stats when they're all at 100, or within 10 pts of 100 isn't exactly demonstrative of how your barb was advanced;

Here is my stat story. I trained everything fairly evenly to 30 in each stat, and from then on I had 10+ in intell and Wisdom as my highest stats. Up until around 60-70 Discipline took the lead and from there until 150th it was Discipline, Intell, Wisdom. Sure I don't think every barb does this (obviously you don't). But I think it's smarter in the long run if you would.

>>And as for this 'mages have more TDPs by product of having more magic skills; this is a laughable claim.

I never really bothered to care about this honestly, but now that barbs have supernatural skills moving, it makes a noticeable difference in my TDP gain and over time could make for a huge difference. So I would say there WAS an imbalance but 3.0 fixed that at least for Barbs.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 08:25 AM CDT
>There's a lot of moving of goal posts going on here...

I know right?

"I challenge all the HLC Barbarians to post their stats."

to

"Guys, you have int/wis/disc within a few points of your other stats, you don't count."
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 08:52 AM CDT
My original claim was that most barbs have physicals ahead of mentals, which is why they don't have to offset the reduced physical damage output. Two barbarians posted that they have all stats trained to ~100, save a few at 90, which I don't feel really disputes my claim, although one of them said they kept mentals above their physicals (I think he said disc?). Codiax (I think that's codiax?) just posted his stat training regiment, which directly contradicts my claim, so there's at least one barb out there who moves mentals more than physicals, but I highly doubt this is the norm.

But as I said, since all but now two posters responded with ad hominems, I'm letting this drop.
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 08:53 AM CDT

EBWOP: Yes, that is Codiax; I didn't see your sig, my bad.
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 08:56 AM CDT
>>just posted his stat training regiment, which directly contradicts my claim, so there's at least one barb out there who moves mentals more than physicals, but I highly doubt this is the norm.

I will say that one thing was the norm, or I think it was. That is Discipline, I think it was pretty standard for a barb to have discipline as their highest stat and that was directly related to the use of Dances. Int and Wisdom were probably just whatever the person decided to train.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Earthquake 03/13/2013 09:00 AM CDT
I've always kept strength and stamina ahead of everything else, but that's an RP decision that has nothing to do with effectiveness.

So... yeah.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html