Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5
This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:07 PM CDT
Once again.

This was stated on the gweth:

Your mind hears Zehira thinking, "{faintly}" "my rat I"m selling for 2k but I'll negoitiate"
You hear your mental voice echo, "the ship yard has plenty of rats. Don't need to pay 2K for one."
Your mind hears Zehira thinking, "{faintly}" "not pet rats you dumbarse"

Both of my gweths were then smashed. Now I paid plenty of plat to buy these gweths. And I lose in on second for 1 small comment I made that is hardly gweth abuse. I have no idea where or how far away this person is, and I doubt they would not have smashed my gweth if they knew I could not reasonably retaliate. If I wanted to play pvp I would have logged on to the fallen. When are GMs going to wake to fact that gweth smashers are abused far more than the gweths are. and having devil-may-care players police them is just absurd.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=Julius+Ceasar&pg=1
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:22 PM CDT
>>Your mind hears Zehira thinking, "{faintly}" "my rat I"m selling for 2k but I'll negoitiate"
>>You hear your mental voice echo, "the ship yard has plenty of rats. Don't need to pay 2K for one."
>>Your mind hears Zehira thinking, "{faintly}" "not pet rats you dumbarse"

So you... made a smartalleck remark to a known bad element and were surprised by the response?

We have been talking about shifting toward a "gweth thump" model instead of gweth smashing. I'm pretty sure everyone that's outraged that they got gwethsmashed will remain just as outraged that they get gweth thumped, but c'est la ve.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:24 PM CDT
RP the situation out and hire someone to retaliate if you can't/don't want to. They are Open, and a known Necro, so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find someone to kill the person for you.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:25 PM CDT
>it wouldn't be hard to find someone to kill the person for you

Just like...not on the gweths. =D
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:27 PM CDT

Also, the exact same people would be crying and reporting and warn interacting (lol) over gweth thump, just like they cry and report over actual thump, or having a non-lethal spell cast on them while they're walking by, or any of the other million crazy things that they report over. It won't change anything.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:30 PM CDT

>>We have been talking about shifting toward a "gweth thump" model instead of gweth smashing. I'm pretty sure everyone that's outraged that they got gwethsmashed will remain just as outraged that they get gweth thumped, but c'est la ve.

They will. Its as if you see the future, sir. It wont make one lick of difference beyond people pretending its the paltry cost of gweths or crystal rings that frustrates them and not the fact they got a gweth smackdown.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:30 PM CDT
>>Also, the exact same people would be crying and reporting and warn interacting (lol) over gweth thump, just like they cry and report over actual thump, or having a non-lethal spell cast on them while they're walking by, or any of the other million crazy things that they report over. It won't change anything.

While true, it has not escaped my attention that smashing is rather punitive and is getting used slightly (and I would emphasize slightly) more than I originally intended.

I mean, the complaining will never end, but that doesn't by itself mean that there isn't a nugget of concern there. That the anti-gwethsmashing crowd on the forums have yet to find a good example doesn't mean there isn't, or won't be, an example of abuse that we can cut off early.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:33 PM CDT
>While true, it has not escaped my attention that smashing is rather punitive and is getting used slightly (and I would emphasize slightly) more than I originally intended.

Oops? I mean I heard you wanted more smashing so I was helping. I'm a giver, ask anyone.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:35 PM CDT
My gwethmorals are relatively fluid, as I don't consider gwething to be a "right" of play (otherwise I'd just scrap the gweths and make it an innate ability). But I am tempered by other GMs who have differing opinions on the matter.

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:41 PM CDT
>Your mind hears Zehira thinking, "{faintly}" "my rat I"m selling for 2k but I'll negoitiate"
>You hear your mental voice echo, "the ship yard has plenty of rats. Don't need to pay 2K for one."
>Your mind hears Zehira thinking, "{faintly}" "not pet rats you dumbarse"

>Both of my gweths were then smashed.

Working as intended.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 04:50 PM CDT
Well obviously Simutronics with their gweth policy has decided they don't want my money. My comment on the gweth was innocent. Consider my account closed. Apparently they feel that having gweths smashed is what their customers want, fine if they feel that will keep players then so be it. They just won't have me as one any longer.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=Julius+Ceasar&pg=1
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 05:00 PM CDT
The most offensive thing about this thread is someone is still wearing a Jadite gweth.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 05:01 PM CDT
<Well obviously Simutronics with their gweth policy has decided they don't want my money. My comment on the gweth was innocent. Consider my account closed. Apparently they feel that having gweths smashed is what their customers want, fine if they feel that will keep players then so be it. They just won't have me as one any longer.

The rage is strong with his one.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 05:02 PM CDT
>>My comment on the gweth was innocent.

Your comment was actively trying to dissuade people from buying that rat. As someone who's sold a lotta rats, I would have been annoyed and considered it far from innocent.

Now I'm a nice guy, I wouldn't have smashed you for it, but I'm not surprised at all someone else did.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 05:08 PM CDT
>>Well obviously Simutronics with their gweth policy has decided they don't want my money. My comment on the gweth was innocent. Consider my account closed. Apparently they feel that having gweths smashed is what their customers want, fine if they feel that will keep players then so be it. They just won't have me as one any longer.

So you are just going to quit because a GM didn't step in to take care of a situation you weren't willing to take care of yourself in a Role-Playing game?
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 05:23 PM CDT
>Apparently they feel that having gweths smashed is what their customers want

Having the ability to smash your gweths is what the customers want.

That's not you, the player or character. That is you, the everyone who is obnoxious in game and no I'm not pointing at you because I literally don't know who you are and don't wear Gweths.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far.::Nudge:: 04/07/2016 05:39 PM CDT

This is not the conflicts folder, please take the bickering over there.

Thanks.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 07:51 PM CDT
<<The most offensive thing about this thread is someone is still wearing a Jadite gweth.

I actually agree with something you said. Huh.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 10:59 PM CDT
I've tweeted this before, but it's maybe worth posting I guess:

I wish smashers burned off charges and deactivated them for an hour instead of breaking the gweths and albredine every time. The number of charges it burns off could be based on success in the smash contest, but there would be a little more parity that way and it would make high charge gweths more valuable as well.

It definitely wouldn't stop people from feeling unduly put-upon -- thump only silences you for a minute and a half and doesn't destroy any items and people still utterly lose their heads over it -- but it would feel more balanced to me that way.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/07/2016 11:28 PM CDT
>>I wish smashers burned off charges and deactivated them for an hour instead of breaking the gweths and albredine every time. The number of charges it burns off could be based on success in the smash contest, but there would be a little more parity that way and it would make high charge gweths more valuable as well.

Total agreement.

Smashing as it currently functions is dumb and oddly/incorrectly punishes people who have "good" (aka: multi charge) gweths. It's unrelated to the issue of people not understanding how or why gweth smashing works as it does.

You're essentially better off buying a bunch of junky single charge gweths than investing in something stronger. It seems oddly counter productive.

Won't stop people who don't get it from not getting it, but that's another issue entirely.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 07:51 AM CDT
When I stated on the gweth about getting a rat from the shipyard instead paying 2 plat for one. I really felt that I was being in character to a medival person that found it strange to be paying 2 plat for a creature that runs all over the place. We all know in game that shipyard rats are not the same as the pet rats selling for 2 plat, so the accusation that I was discouraging sales of a product was not what I was doing and was more a commentary on the over all economy of the realms. It was actually said more in humor to this fact and I feel was innocent enough and did not warrant the distruction of all of my charges on both gweths.

My own personal opinion is that gweth smashers shouldn't exist in game, but if they are going to exist then I find the following solution that some suggested as being a reasonable comprise:

>>I wish smashers burned off charges and deactivated them for an hour instead of breaking the gweths and albredine every time. The number of charges it burns off could be based on success in the smash contest, but there would be a little more parity that way and it would make high charge gweths more valuable as well.<<

It may not solve much of the problem with smashers and gweth ediqitte, but it is the best idea, barring banning smashers, that I've heard.

Regardless, I've already cancelled my account which will end at the beginning of the next pay period. There are many other games on the internet that I can try, and I've only already tried very few.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 08:14 AM CDT
I actually didn't mind your gweth at all and thought it was a good joke and fit in. Lately it has become the "cool thing" to try and be a member of the gweth police and smash anything they can for any reason (especially since some of the more obvious people who do it just have a moon mage to keep making smashers). Fads like these have always come and gone in DR and soon people will move onto some other way to satisfy their id and stroke their ego.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 08:26 AM CDT
>NITUKI

Yeah with the amount of vaguely OOC chat on the gweths, it's unfortunate when someone gets smashed for being clever IC. I'd much rather rather see the smashing occur to people who go on about "I mind locked such and such a skill, so I'll be right there" or "someone stole my hunting room and I'm upset". It really doesn't take much work to say "I think I've had enough of practicing my skills in combat, so I'll see you soon" or something similar instead, and it keeps the gweths from feeling like a chat room in Second Life: Elanthia.

>For some reason you just can't stop thinking about glarmencouplers.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 09:56 AM CDT
>>Regardless, I've already cancelled my account which will end at the beginning of the next pay period. There are many other games on the internet that I can try, and I've only already tried very few.

Sorry to hear that you let the schoolyard bullies get the best of you.

I doubt anything will change. Sad thing is, imho, there will ALWAYS be a handful of players who will take advantage of the system. More than likely, you will find this kind of behavior in other games as well.

~Gab
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 11:05 AM CDT
>>Sorry to hear that you let the schoolyard bullies get the best of you.

I doubt anything will change. Sad thing is, imho, there will ALWAYS be a handful of players who will take advantage of the system. More than likely, you will find this kind of behavior in other games as well.<<

You're probably right, but I guess that's something I need to find out for myself. This gweth thing is not the sole reason and the boards is not the place for me post all the reasons why. Despite the complaints I've read on the boards about the experience system, I actually find that system the most appealing factor of the game. I've also found that the Crafting system, as hard as it was for me to pick up on at first, is another system of the game that I really enjoy, but obviously not everything is to my personal liking and no one game is going to satisfy everyone all the time. Yet, I feel I must better explore my options for game play and at least let Simutronics know where at least this player stands on some issues and the importance of those issues to this player. I may be back to play at some point in the future as I have quit play before only to come back to play again. Sometimes to deal with bullies you just have to remove yourself from them at least for awhile.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 12:31 PM CDT
>>Sometimes to deal with bullies you just have to remove yourself from them at least for awhile.

I honestly really agree with this. DragonRealms is a game, and if you're not enjoying it and nothing is improving that situation, you should absolutely find something to spend your time on that is more fulfilling! Suffering just for the sake of suffering is not noble.

~Kashik
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 12:34 PM CDT
The flip side of complaining about people who use gwethsmashers is you're complaining about the half a dozen people that use them on Zehira and Fahijeck every week as well.

Believe it or not, part of the reason gwethsmashers were introduced was to deal with the bullies you're all complaining about. But then 'bullies' is the new 'snert' -- a word so overused and so quickly dropped to describe people it has lost all of its meaning.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 01:00 PM CDT
>>Believe it or not, part of the reason gwethsmashers were introduced was to deal with the bullies you're all complaining about. But then 'bullies' is the new 'snert' -- a word so overused and so quickly dropped to describe people it has lost all of its meaning.

R U TROLLIN

But yes, I think gwethsmashing is a good but flawed system, probably the same way thump is. Only reason smashing is more present than thumping these days is that you can do it anywhere and it's super convenient.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 01:06 PM CDT
Not that it matters but the rat was 2K which is 2000 plat, not 2 plat. I could see someone being upset if they thought you were trying to stop their sales attempt with that much coin involved. I thought it was a rather witty comment though.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 01:44 PM CDT
I've talked with a few others, given it some thought...

...let's assume for a moment we actually do move to a "gweth thump" model. What kind of silence period do you think is appropriate?

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 01:57 PM CDT

>>...let's assume for a moment we actually do move to a "gweth thump" model. What kind of silence period do you think is appropriate?

Longer than 1 hour. Cooldown for smashers is 24 hours. If the goal is to not let gweths break because people are sad about that, let the tradeoff be a gweth thump for 2 hours or more. Honestly the whole conversation is silly, people don't want to be held accountable for the stupid crap they say and they don't like being smashed by other players. They dont like thumps neither and those just last a minute or so. I'm not convinced changing this will make a lick of difference in the scheme of things, but since the argument that I've seen presented here is that people dont want to lose their gweths/rings, a longer cooloff period after being smashed should be a fair tradeoff.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:03 PM CDT
I'm inclined to agree that the core problem is "people don't want to RP the consequences of their actions," but I am still aware that item destruction is otherwise unprecedented and there can be (and has been to me) an argument made that that shouldn't be possible.

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:05 PM CDT
>>The flip side of complaining about people who use gwethsmashers is you're complaining about the half a dozen people that use them on Zehira and Fahijeck every week as well.

I would surmise when Zehira or Fahijeck gets gwethsmashed, its from someone close to their combat skills. My complaint is when the circle 150+ character smashes someone well below them because they "can."

Does a low level player have recourse? Of course they do. However, many, if not most low-level players (especially if they are brand new to the game), do not even know any high level characters they could ask. Nor do they have enough coin to "hire" someone, and obviously they can't advertise for one.

So yeah, I have a really big concern for newer players/younger characters who don't have a champion they can turn to when they feel they have been unjustly gwethsmashed or thumped.

~Gab
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:07 PM CDT
If you're going to make it work like thump, I hope you take away the one hour down time for the person doing the smashing, too.

>...let's assume for a moment we actually do move to a "gweth thump" model. What kind of silence period do you think is appropriate?

Six hours, unless the penalty for having permanent gweths "thumped" is reduced, too. In that case, four hours of time out.

Frankly, it's annoying to me that certain people report, warn interact, abuse mechanics to avoid being smashed, and log in alts to taunt the people gwethsmashing continue to turn around and cry victim. Making it a gweth thump isn't going to fix that, these are the same people who report over things like having non-damaging spells cast on them and having their jelly beans eaten after they throw it at someone (yes, I've been reported for the jelly bean thing).

People need to understand that gwething things to the world means gwething things -to the world-. The world doesn't always want to hear you. I smash a lot of people for some very OOC things. I also give out RPAs when people handle it decently and roleplay it out without flying off the handle and going even more OOC. I also get my gweths smashed in return occasionally and have been attacked for it. It's part of the game.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:07 PM CDT
>>I'm inclined to agree that the core problem is "people don't want to RP the consequences of their actions," but I am still aware that item destruction is otherwise unprecedented and there can be (and has been to me) an argument made that that shouldn't be possible.

Yeah, it is an argument (the item destruction) that at least has merit. Why not just make it a thump then, but make the "thump" period last longer as the tradeoff?
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:10 PM CDT
Yes, my first thought is just to outmode gwethsmashers entirely and make this a THUMP verb addition. Everyone gets it. No sense buying a rare enchanted item just to thump someone.

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:20 PM CDT
There goes my 150-250 plat every two weeks income boost. :/
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:24 PM CDT
>>Gweth thump

I dig it. It would also open up the door for more decorative gweths (that still have charges), I think, since you wouldn't risk immediate destruction. If we're going to wear jeweled chains around our heads all the time, they might as well look nice. Maybe craft them with artistry.

I think I agree with the longer silence. Maybe 2 hours?

~Kashik, wearing a kyanite gwethdesuan with brilliant topazes braided into the chain.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:31 PM CDT
Talking more about it behind the scenes, what I'll probably do (not promising it's certain yet, but where I'm leaning towards) is shutting off new gwethsmasher production, but letting existing gwethsmashers remain gwethsmashers that will either get used up without replacement or start gathering dust in vaults.

Along with that adding a new THUMP GWETH option that allows for the gweth thump w/o any extrenous items necessary to use it.

-Armifer
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/08/2016 02:34 PM CDT
>>Talking more about it behind the scenes, what I'll probably do (not promising it's certain yet, but where I'm leaning towards) is shutting off new gwethsmasher production, but letting existing gwethsmashers remain gwethsmashers that will either get used up without replacement or start gathering dust in vaults.

What about auction ones with unlimited uses?
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5