Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 08:09 AM CDT
>Mazrian's post

Permitting albredine use would just mean that the smashee would start ranting via albredine. Getting your gweths smashed (rightly) stops albredine and thoughtcast for a time. I don't think waiting an hour before using albredine again is a big deal.

A ten minute duration is completely meaningless, why even bother? It's bad enough when they pop on a new set of gweths and start up again in an hour. Some of these people carry on for hours on the gweth if they're left unchecked. What would a ten minute time out accomplish, other than a bathroom break before the "victim" comes back to shriek and wail about how being smashed is no big deal?
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 08:45 AM CDT
>>Permitting albredine use would just mean that the smashee would start ranting via albredine. Getting your gweths smashed (rightly) stops albredine and thoughtcast for a time. I don't think waiting an hour before using albredine again is a big deal.<<

Being shut out of albredine is a pretty big PITA. Especially if you're eventing.

>>A ten minute duration is completely meaningless, why even bother? It's bad enough when they pop on a new set of gweths and start up again in an hour. Some of these people carry on for hours on the gweth if they're left unchecked. What would a ten minute time out accomplish, other than a bathroom break before the "victim" comes back to shriek and wail about how being smashed is no big deal?<<

Thump is much shorter than that and seems to work ok. If people are determined to carry on and they're being annoying then someone else will gweth thump them. Without the need for an expensive item, the community can pretty well shut people up if they want to.

Mazrian
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:04 AM CDT
>>Thump is much shorter than that and seems to work ok. If people are determined to carry on and they're being annoying then someone else will gweth thump them. Without the need for an expensive item, the community can pretty well shut people up if they want to.

What does everyone think of a compromise, where the initial silence is short, but each time a different player thumps the offender, the penalty grows rapidly up to a [insert time, 2 hour?] limit?

~Kashik
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:05 AM CDT
>>What does everyone think of a compromise, where the initial silence is short, but each time a different player thumps the offender, the penalty grows rapidly up to a [insert time, 2 hour?] limit?

TBH I thought this is how thump works now, although maybe I was thinking of curse.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:11 AM CDT
>The idea of using RPAs as a modifier for some activities intrigues me, but if I'm being honest with you I'm not sure how far that'd fly.

RPAs are too inconsistent to be used as a contest for anything.

I like the RPA system the way it currently functions. It gives a very nice incentive to interact with the game world and its people while not becoming the primary reason people participate. If people start to feel like they need to grind for RPAs, it's going to cheapen the RP experience.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:12 AM CDT
>>Thump is much shorter than that and seems to work ok. If people are determined to carry on and they're being annoying then someone else will gweth thump them. Without the need for an expensive item, the community can pretty well shut people up if they want to.

I could get behind a 10-30 minute duration for a gweth-thump. If the person kept up the behavior after the duration was us it would be easy enough for someone else to thump them again without the need of an item or being in the same room as them.

>>Being shut out of albredine is a pretty big PITA. Especially if you're eventing.

While I can understand this, what is to stop the thumpee from just starting to rant at the thumper through crystal ring? You can't whisper while thumped so I think it's fair that you can't use rings while gweth-thumped, also.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:29 AM CDT
>>TBH I thought this is how thump works now, although maybe I was thinking of curse.

That's entirely possible. I try not to get thumped multiple times in a row! Elanthipedia doesn't mention it, but does say that the time increases based on how big the difference in circle is.

~Kashik
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:33 AM CDT
>>While I can understand this, what is to stop the thumpee from just starting to rant at the thumper through crystal ring? You can't whisper while thumped so I think it's fair that you can't use rings while gweth-thumped, also.

IDK. My first inclination is to simply say "So what if they do?" Go kill them if it bothers you, or report them if they're harassing you.

Mazrian
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:35 AM CDT
Doesn't thump shut off whispers, too?

Same difference with crystal rings.

I could see color rings still working, or at least someday getting their own mod powers.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:35 AM CDT
Thump lasts for like a minute and a half, though.

Mazrian
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:40 AM CDT
I just want to take a moment to point out that I had the full forum folder load instead of the newest posts, and the first page is literally a thread about how to better moderate gweths, including a suggestion to add thumping, if smashing (or at least via GM) works well enough, etc.

FOURTEEN YEARS AGO STILL ROCKING THIS TOPIC

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 09:42 AM CDT
>>Thump lasts for like a minute and a half, though.

TBH I'm not sure gweth thump needs to last longer, either. Someone acting grossly out of bounds (ICly or OOCly) isn't going to have just one person thump them, similar to how I saw in-person thumps work (aka: start getting rambly again, get thumped by someone else rather quickly).

Gweths also have a natural buffer that speaking doesn't, so it won't be a retaliatory spamming.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 10:01 AM CDT
>>IDK. My first inclination is to simply say "So what if they do?" Go kill them if it bothers you, or report them if they're harassing you.

This would be ok for me, but people usually thump/smash because they don't want hear the person anymore. Allowing them to maintain a direct channel of communication from anywhere in the game kind of defeats the purpose, though.

>>Thump lasts for like a minute and a half, though.

And smashing lasts for at least an hour, and maybe more if you don't have access to more gweths/rings, right now. I think it's a fair compromise to shorten the duration of the downtime, take away item destruction, but still disable gweths/crystals rings. I think colored rings would be ok to leave functional if it was possible to do.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 11:11 AM CDT
>FOURTEEN YEARS AGO STILL ROCKING THIS TOPIC

Yeah, it's definitely nothing new. The biggest takeaway for me, really, has been that gweths are always going to lie in that gray area between OOC and IC and no amount of smashing or thumping is going to change that. That's why I like Chatter. It doesn't live in that gray area.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 11:15 AM CDT
>>This would be ok for me, but people usually thump/smash because they don't want hear the person anymore. Allowing them to maintain a direct channel of communication from anywhere in the game kind of defeats the purpose, though.

Can you smash someone who hasn't gwethed but has sent you a message by ring? I think smashing specifically applies to people broadcasting.

If the duration was short enough I guess including albredine wouldn't matter much.

Mazrian
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 11:20 AM CDT
>>Yeah, it's definitely nothing new. The biggest takeaway for me, really, has been that gweths are always going to lie in that gray area between OOC and IC and no amount of smashing or thumping is going to change that. That's why I like Chatter. It doesn't live in that gray area.

Chatter would still (and does, from what I've heard) require moderation.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 11:21 AM CDT

What I just don't get is why not create OOC chatter and just be done with it. RP? Apparently from this thread and others RP's been dead for a while now. Don't like to hear OOC stuff, then OOC OFF and you'll never be bothered again. Need to communicate something in-game to everyone in the game; you can still use gweths for that. It's a simple solution that solves everything, and all the arguments against it is a bunch of baloney.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 11:51 AM CDT
>What I just don't get is why not create OOC chatter and just be done with it.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Surviving%20in%20DragonRealms%20-%20Elanthia/Gwethdesuans/view/770

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Surviving%20in%20DragonRealms%20-%20Elanthia/Gwethdesuans/view/771

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Surviving%20in%20DragonRealms%20-%20Elanthia/Gwethdesuans/view/772

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 12:12 PM CDT
>>What I just don't get is why not create OOC chatter and just be done with it. RP?

The RoI for moderating it, I'd assume. When HE is active in Plat and there are only ~12 people chattering at once, it gets a bit scroll heavy. I'd imagine that 5x-10x those people talking on a daily basis would be horrifying. My understanding is that the F2P newbie-chatter is enough to work with as-is.

(As an aside, I think there should be a way to create and use gweth "channels", so IC-banter doesn't have to mix with IC-sales and so on.)

>>Apparently from this thread and others RP's been dead for a while now.

Eh, an instance not embracing something as much as desired is no reason to give up on it.

>>Don't like to hear OOC stuff, then OOC OFF and you'll never be bothered again. Need to communicate something in-game to everyone in the game; you can still use gweths for that. It's a simple solution that solves everything, and all the arguments against it is a bunch of baloney.

This also assumes people care enough to keep one part on one side of the fence and another on another side of the fence.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 12:17 PM CDT

None of these are actual reasons. JUST. TURN. IT. OFF. no scroll, no fuss,no jarring ooc, noone cares. Moderation? It's an OOC channel! What moderation?! To avoid some troll from spamming the same obscenity again and again; 30 seconds between messages. Done.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 12:27 PM CDT
>None of these are actual reasons. JUST. TURN. IT. OFF. no scroll, no fuss,no jarring ooc, noone cares. Moderation? It's an OOC channel! What moderation?! To avoid some troll from spamming the same obscenity again and again; 30 seconds between messages. Done.

Because the new 'OOC' channel would effectively become the only channel. Then things go downhill from there. I'm pretty sure it's been talked about before and pretty sure Armifer had a bit to say about an OOC channel.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 12:28 PM CDT
>>None of these are actual reasons. JUST. TURN. IT. OFF. no scroll, no fuss,no jarring ooc, noone cares. Moderation? It's an OOC channel! What moderation?! To avoid some troll from spamming the same obscenity again and again; 30 seconds between messages. Done.

A garbage fire left unwatched only gets more smelly and hot.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 12:28 PM CDT
> Moderation? It's an OOC channel! What moderation?!

They aren't going to set up an unmoderated channel in prime. I'm pretty sure you know that.

You are familiar with the drama that occurs when players mix OOC with IC aren't you? The stuff that's gone down for years on AIM, Twitter and the Facebook group most recently would be exponentially worse on a global ingame chatter.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 12:38 PM CDT

I'm actually a returnee and haven't been introduced to the current "drama" yet. From the sound of things apparently the DR community behaved more maturely back in high school then 17 years later. It's kinda sad actually.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 12:43 PM CDT
No, it is very similar.

Mazrian
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 12:52 PM CDT
>>No, it is very similar.

+1

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 01:31 PM CDT

Which is still sad, after 17 years of maturity and supposed growing up, many of these guys(myself included) probably have kids who can play DR now.

Anyhow, I won't ao completely dismiss the idea of an OOC chan, GSIV has the exact same thing (in fact several channels) using Lich (which most everyone uses) and it works great. I still log onto GSIV to fire up LNET... and play DR.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 01:42 PM CDT
>>Anyhow, I won't ao completely dismiss the idea of an OOC chan, GSIV has the exact same thing (in fact several channels) using Lich (which most everyone uses) and it works great. I still log onto GSIV to fire up LNET... and play DR.

AFAIK, LNET isn't run (nor endorsed) by Simutronics. It's not an in-game chatter.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 03:01 PM CDT

Lich is pretty much de facto endorsed by Simu, I know Solomon was talking with the creator about the program and pretty much everyone in GSIV praises the guy who runs/made it like he's the greatest thing ever to happen to GS(which is a fairly true statement.)

In all cases, I'm actually suggesting that the concept of an OOC channel does work and works well at least with GS players. Since genie/sf has multiple window capability; what I like to do in GSIV is have my LNET window hidden behind the main game window. That way when I get back from a long hunt or finish with an intense RP scene I can park myself at an Inn table and unwind/catch up with friends/sell or buy stuff/or yes, just gossip over LNET... think of it as social media for DR. <puts on his valley girl voice> "O.M.G. did you see Lady Roseanne's red thong thingie?! I mean what GM gave the OK for that alter?!"
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 03:07 PM CDT
>> Can you smash someone who hasn't gwethed but has sent you a message by ring? I think smashing specifically applies to people broadcasting.

Yes you can. And I have been in situations where I've smashed people for things they were doing over albredine.

>> Anyhow, I won't ao completely dismiss the idea of an OOC chan, GSIV has the exact same thing (in fact several channels) using Lich (which most everyone uses) and it works great. I still log onto GSIV to fire up LNET... and play DR.

LNET also isn't unmoderated (iirc people can moderate the chats they create) and it's still pretty bad in terms of some of the racist/sexist crap that gets spewed over it.

An unmoderated OOC channel will not happen, nor should it.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 03:46 PM CDT
>>Lich is pretty much de facto endorsed by Simu, I know Solomon was talking with the creator about the program and pretty much everyone in GSIV praises the guy who runs/made it like he's the greatest thing ever to happen to GS(which is a fairly true statement.)

I'm sure DR players/GMs feel similar to Genie, but if Genie created an IRC plugin that still wouldn't be an in-game chatroom.

>>In all cases, I'm actually suggesting that the concept of an OOC channel does work and works well at least with GS players.

I am sure having an IRC chatroom in a window is useful for people who want to chat as a group on IRC while playing DR. I have done similar.

That said, that's not Simu doing it, that's someone else doing it and others opting in. This is similar to how you can have an AIM chatroom or IRC chatroom or whatever chatroom with your DR buddies, and you could theoretically invite everyone from DR.

That is separate from DR's chatter, which is in game and under game policy. LNET lives and dies by the moderators it has, which is great, but that doesn't mean Simu is throwing GSIV GMs at it to do that moderation.

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 05:38 PM CDT

Just for a quick clarification if a person smashes my gweth, that is open ended consent until they replace the destroyed equipment right?
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 05:44 PM CDT
Per NEWS 2 26, it's one and done, like THUMP. You don't get to keep killing them forever.

Don't even bother asking about a statute of limitations on it either. They won't even give a clear answer for THUMP the last time I asked, and that policy has existed for over a decade. They just shrug and you get to roll the dice on whether the person reports you and how the GM feels about it.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 06:07 PM CDT
>Per NEWS 2 26, it's one and done, like THUMP. You don't get to keep killing them forever.

It's not quite the same. With gwethsmashers the smasher does get set Open for a few hours so you can kill them a few times, though you do risk a consult for harassment if you go overboard with it.
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/11/2016 06:10 PM CDT
Yeah, this is just in reference to specific consent given to the target.

Obviously if they're Open they can get stomped repeatedly by anyone.

Thayet

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/12/2016 09:09 AM CDT
My concerns with a gweth-thump:
Thumping does not force you Open. Will gweth-thumping? Will gweth-thumping stay as smashing is now, and thumping be "upgraded" to forcing people Open?

I apologize in advance for how long this got. You can skip the rambling to see my ideas at the bottom. I don't really remember to check back when I've posted in a thread like this so I might be oblivious to replies. Sorry!

I don't enjoy PVP. That puts me at a huge disadvantage when dealing with people on gweths, because I have to basically let them have their way, or risk getting into a situation I FURTHER don't enjoy. I cannot gwethsmash, because I cannot handle the stress of being targeted--especially when being Open allows ANYONE to come at me. Or, I can gwethsmash, then go hide somewhere, I guess? (I don't know if that counts as mech abuse.) That is a whole other loaf of bread re: not owning up to your actions/you're a bad roleplayer now because you won't make it easy for them and their friends to kill you. I don't want to bite into that right now or ever.

This puts me in a situation where I am unable to diffuse a fight that I can see about to break out. I can't stop someone before they shove their whole leg down their throat, or someone else's leg down someone else's throat. I'm a useless bystander, while things spiral out of control around me. And it must be that many others feel the same, or else they'd step in, before things get bad enough that a GM has to be called in for whatever reason. Or maybe I just don't see the times where these big guys get silenced. Anyway.

In general, I dislike the level of violence that people feel is their only resort. Death being so trivial and common that people treat it as a slap on the face. Even roleplaying in a world where favours, gods, and clerics can make it un-happen, and always do regardless of your character's beliefs, there are reasons to be upset and want to avoid it. For me, its that it takes me a long time to hunt, and being armour tertiary means I need 2-3 hunting trips to get a rank. I'm so far behind my friends I barely get to spend time with them in the field. I don't want to die and have that time--my time, hours of my actual life trying to make this game work for me--wasted. I cope with this by doing everything in my power to avoid it.

Gwethsmashing as it is now will never be an option for someone like me. If I ever did gwethsmash someone, for roleplay reasons or otherwise, I would welcome them to come find and talk with me about why I did it. But I don't want to open myself up to a punishment far, far worse than the crime. If there was a way to roleplay conflict that ended in something other than death I would be more willing to put myself out there for it. But there isn't. I know that's, again, another conversation, for probably another forum area, but it ties in to my views on gweths and gwethsmashing, since all the systems are interconnected currently.

All that being said, here are some proposals. I really do hope they are taken into consideration for whatever changes are coming!

* Gwethsmasher options:

Defensive smashing:

* Smash [player name]: Disable YOUR ability to recieve thoughts from this person. For those of us who are powerless but just as sick of hearing HLCs taunt each other for hours. Probably many other uses. Could be like a blacklist that stays on forever (making use of a befriend-type list? But longer please), or could wear off after a standard gwethsmashing time.

* Smash ring: Disable someone's crystal ring. Smashee must have used the ring to think TO YOU for it to be available. No stat or circle contest, no timers before being able to do it againt to someone else who is thinking to you--this needs to be available to anyone and everyone. You can run away from someone whispering bad things to you, but you shouldn't have to punish yourself by taking off your ring because someone else can't behave appropriately towards you. Now, I do not know what could be done if someone smashed your gweths and you thought to them to find out why, and they smashed your ring without a response. But at least you had a chance to try to engage them. Ideally, this would be

Aggressive smashing:

* Smash kyanite: Disable someone's kyanite gweths, forcing them to resort to more localized channels. Brings jadeite back into usefulness, allows conflict to escalate if desired, doesn't completely ruin someone's RP abilties (if you're on Aesry and get smashed, good luck finding someone to talk to. Even moon mages need to know who is around to locate them.)

* Smash jadeite: Disable someone's jadeite gweths. Jadeite must have been used on its own (to protect from double-tap smashing by a pair of people working together.) If you have just been kyanite smashed, then at this point you either DO deserve it, or have proof of an organized strike, and can do with that information what you will.

* Smash OOC: Disable someone's entire gweth system (but not rings), with a note that it was done for OOC purposes. Player is alerted about the reason for their smash and thus knows their crime, and can report to a GM if they can prove they were NOT being OOC. Has a shorter timer on the smashee than other smashes, but also does not incur a wait period on the smasher. Further smashes of this nature double the time before the smashee can recover, so they can try to get the hint. I think maybe people wouldn't be so upset if they knew they were being punished for comitting a social faux pas. With the current system, all that happens is they see the name of somebody they've probably never heard of, and all their stuff breaks. I know some people, even mentors like Isharon, only smash for OOC purposes, and this would allow them to do that along with actually mentoring the person.

* Smash self: For when you want to give up and make a show of it. Why take off a gweth and drop it in a bin when you can scrunch up your face and make your own headgear explode?!
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/12/2016 09:54 AM CDT
>>Smash [player name]: Disable YOUR ability to recieve thoughts from this person. For those of us who are powerless but just as sick of hearing HLCs taunt each other for hours. Probably many other uses. Could be like a blacklist that stays on forever (making use of a befriend-type list? But longer please), or could wear off after a standard gwethsmashing time.

Why not just squelch them?

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/12/2016 11:38 AM CDT
>>Why not just squelch them?

I can't check (at work), but does the "default web client" support squelching?

~Kashik
Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/12/2016 12:20 PM CDT
>> I think maybe people wouldn't be so upset if they knew they were being punished for comitting a social faux pas.

No, not even a little bit.

Thayet

Re: This Gweth smashing has gone too far. 04/12/2016 02:52 PM CDT
>>* Smash [player name]: Disable YOUR ability to receive thoughts from this person.

I agree that this might be useful for newbies using a client that can't squelch, or who don't know how to squelch. I recommend that it only squelch thoughts, not anything that happens in person.

>>* Smash ring: Disable someone's crystal ring.

I agree that this would be helpful, especially with options to do it without a stat contest (and locking Open) if it just removes their ability to think TO YOU. Ideally we could even have a permanent blacklist to block people from ringing us. Again, squelching is always an option but not everyone is able to do it easily. If nothing else, maybe we could get out better instructions for squelching, perhaps with a SQUELCH verb in game that just gives instructions.

>>Smash jadeite/kyanite

I admit, I never thought about this. It might be a greater level of granularity than we need, though I can see your point about it being a "lesser" punishment that doesn't take away as much. There are certainly people that I've heard others complain they wished used jadeite to keep announcements to their own areas.

>>* Smash OOC:

This could be a very good idea. Then again, it could also create a lot of work for GMs if people are allowed to report and complain that they weren't OOC. At the very least it might be nice to roll into a regular smash the ability to send a note like, "Hey, saying X is considered OOC and that's why I smashed you." Or some other clear indication that the smash was meant to be done OOCly.

- Navesi