Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 11:34 AM CDT

>>Maybe you can't count, which is possible. Circle wise the HLC that came to put a boot down was smaller than the HLC that logged in to defend said HLC's alt when that particular person wasn't happy with how the confrontation was going. You seem to be pretty angry. I seem to remember a problem with a particular ranger and a warrior mage. Said warrior mage brought in his Thief to help the conflict. If we want to go down the bullying route, maybe you should stop calling the kettle black.

Are you even reading my replies? Or are you just set on personally attacking me? Scroll up.

You can get wrapped up in this particular example of the problems behind open/guarded/closed because you made a bad call and got your hand slapped for breaking policy...or you can just appreciate it for what it is. A calm discussion.

I'm just trying to throw out my opinion in the matter. If you want to make it personal...it illustrates my point I guess?

Expected a bit more from you...but hey, I've been disappointed before.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 12:40 PM CDT
>>My character that has never been anything but open is now guarded to protect the people i care about.

Lolwhat

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 03:28 PM CDT

sorry, should have completed that thought. to protect the people that i care about not getting pvp warnings because some one wants to bait them and then hide behind policy, even tho they are abusing policy themselves. that read way more angsty than i meant it. lol
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 05:10 PM CDT
I may be in the minority, but I feel like I've witnessed more harassment from people in guarded PvP stance than open PvP stance across a few different characters.

Although I walk around PvP open and don't mind a random fight, I've never sought one that I can remember. I tend to prefer more structured fights, spars, where both parties are presumably putting their best foot forward. Despite being PvP open for as long as I can remember on my primary character, I don't think I've ever been forced into a random PvP conflict in which I didn't want to participate.

My necromancer was open from the start IIRC and was killed maybe once, about the same number of times my thief was killed without consent while he was set to guarded or closed before I learned about the PvP stance system. My point is people who want to be annoying are going to be annoying, but guarded PvP stance seems to facilitate it best. It's also superfluous like others have said. It's not like you can't just toggle closed to open if you're actually open to PvP during an RP situation (and/or "OOC: open to tango if you are"), and then back to closed when it's over.

I wonder if changing it would save GM time; it certainly sounds like it would have a quantifiable impact, good or bad.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 05:39 PM CDT

>>I see possible flaws in all of it - would any of it play out better or worse? I think the retaliation timer is the best option but the hardest to handle mechanically.

Yeah, So we just hope that people can understand that no matter what happens, there will always be flaws in what ever we do. Even the idea of just having an open stance and a closed stance will have flaws. So instead of eliminating the flaws, we try to make it so those flaws are reshaped in a way that the negative consequences aren't so impacting.
Just the same as we wont take out those people who do really childish dumb things like policy play or set people up, but we rearrange things in a way that we try to take away their avenues to deal out their crazy.

Rifkinn
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 06:22 PM CDT
>>>> It's not like you can't just toggle closed to open if you're actually open to PvP during an RP situation

You can only change your stance once every 48 hour so this isn't really an option.

>>>> I wonder if changing it would save GM time; it certainly sounds like it would have a quantifiable impact, good or bad.

It would force people to choose open or closed. The exact effect of that is uncertain at best. In order to deal with the problems presented here a policy that says "if you are closed you can't pvp" would need to be adopted and enforced (I know some people believe this is currently the case, I am not so sure it is). Otherwise the open crowd would be back here complaining about how they want to remove closed because people are abusing it. Would enforcing such a policy take more GM time than dealing with occasional guarded briefers? Once again, this is uncertain.

Actually, I have started to think that one of the previous discussions might eliminate the problem much better:

If both characters are open then the open policy applies to both players.
If one character is guarded and the other is open or guarded then the guarded policy applies to both players
If one character is closed then the closed policy applies to both platers.

In the scenario that provoked this debate both sides would have been on equal standing and would likely have received the same punishment if a report had occurred. Likely the policy player wouldn't bother reporting in the first place. The downside is I am pretty sure many open players are loathe to report and therefore would see this as not solving anything, which is a valid position I suppose.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 07:04 PM CDT

If one character is guarded and the other is open or guarded then the guarded policy applies to both players

this! my feeling is if you choose to be guarded, then you should treat everyone else as tho they are too. that would have completely prevented this situation and most others. the bottom line, for me anyway, is that if you don't want to RP and PVP then you should not put yourself into/seek out the kinds of situations that will result in it. (unless your goal is to be a jerk and get people warnings, in which case you should stop being an idiot and have a cupcake)
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 07:53 PM CDT

>If both characters are open then the open policy applies to both players.

Wow... This is likely the best idea I have heard yet.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 08:02 PM CDT
I don't understand why the power structure has to be centered around the GM's and their 'involvement' in a situation.

WARN HARASS|INTERACTION|COMBAT gives the player enough leverage over a bad situation that only in cases of CLEAR HARASSMENT should it be necessary to involve a third party mediator.

This 'god arbiter' mentality needs to be erased from policy because it has a PROPORTIONAL and OPPOSITE effect on players and their willingness to get involved in a conflict. Yes, policy is this bad that it is literally chasing people away from the game. DR is a game centered around conflict, it's one of the most interesting aspects of the game. Played inside a vacuum without others players, it would be a relatively boring game.

The problem is, policy has created a MORAL HAZARD against players involving themselves in conflict. From the perspective of policy, I think conflict should be ENCOURAGED. A lot of what is handled by the GMs should have never ended up there. This constitutes a FAILURE of policy. Self-enforcement should be the end-goal, not just an 'option of convenience'(that virtually no one uses).

Players should be able to deal with conflict 99% of the time without 'my god will SMITE YOU for your UNCONSENTED PVP' ever being a relevant factor to it's conclusion. It is very antithetical to player interactions that situations of real PvP have to be 'agreed upon' ahead of time by both parties unless both parties are OPEN.

I mentioned it once before, but I think that penalties are WAY TOO HARSH. Except in cases of clear HARASSMENT(the case that this thread came out of was most certainly NOT such a case), parties should be let off with a slap on the wrist. I think if policy were more open to BOTH PARTIES in a conflict and reporting was not such a CONVENIENT option for the reportee, it would not be invoked near as often as it is. I think closed/guuarded/open would have much less of an impact on conflict than they currently do.

I'm not saying that GM's don't have a place in policy. I'm saying that it should be an option of LAST RESORT, when ALL other options have FAILED. Not the GOTO.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 10:10 PM CDT
<<
If one character is closed then the closed policy applies to both players.>>

That was my idea and it is perfect, thanks for grabbing it synamon. It eliminates guarded people from having first strike opportunity and makes them play by the very policy they have chosen. It makes it just as risky for a guarded person to have pvp with an open person as vice versa. It encourages people to be open if they would like to pvp, and severely restricts pvp for closed people. The true "policy" playing guarded people (NOT A MAJORITY OF GUARDED PEOPLE MIND YOU!) would get a taste of their own medicine, and the open people would still be open as it currently is constructed. I actually feel like this would lessen reports and GM intervention in the long run.

- Buuwl
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 11:29 PM CDT
>>Bluturtl1428: If both characters are open then the open policy applies to both players.

The last time the "open vs. open" idea was brought up, this was the response from GM Zeyurn:

Re: Auto-Setting Profile PvP Status on 06/18/2010 11:43 AM EDT

The only issue I really see here (besides this being better done by mechanical changes to what happens when you attack Open people while Guarded/Closed that I/we just haven't had time to do).. is that people who like to be Open are generally the people who say 'Reporting is the devil'.

If they go 'Open vs Open', what does that really change? They'll start reporting people? I'm not intending to be snarky with this, but I am curious!

Re: Auto-Setting Profile PvP Status on 06/18/2010 06:07 PM EDT

Basically what I'm getting from this is that it's a confused muddle (sorry, but even I'm not sure how on earth this would make 'Guarded people' own up to their actions unless the 'Open vs Open' people actually act on the unconsented PvP) and that the only real fix is going to be Systematic profile locking based on behavior, which I would in fact like to do! Otherwise any such system is going to require

a) 'Open vs Open' people assisting to report abuses.
b) More GM time spent watching people as playground monitors.

Neither of which seem to be appealing to me. I know people hate 'soon' but mechanical changes to flag people Guarded/Open based on how often they engage in PvP is already approved, we just haven't had the time to get to it yet.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 11:35 PM CDT
<<Basically what I'm getting from this is that it's a confused muddle (sorry, but even I'm not sure how on earth this would make 'Guarded people' own up to their actions unless the 'Open vs Open' people actually act on the unconsented PvP) and that the only real fix is going to be Systematic profile locking based on behavior, which I would in fact like to do! Otherwise any such system is going to require>>

I don't understand your entire post. What's this about open versus open?

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 02:04 AM CDT
>>Discoteq21: I don't understand your entire post. What's this about open versus open?

Back then, there was a suggestion to have an "open vs. open" setting, which would only apply the "open" policy if both players were PvP open. (In other words, you're only PvP open to other open players.)

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 08:48 AM CDT
<<Back then, there was a suggestion to have an "open vs. open" setting, which would only apply the "open" policy if both players were PvP open. (In other words, you're only PvP open to other open players.)>>

Exactly, that is how it is for open people now. The only issue is now, when your open closed people and guarded people can attack you as well. Closed people and Guarded people should have to play by the same policy they choose. I.E. if you gank an open as a closed or guarded person they could in effect report you.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 02:33 PM CDT
>>>> BUUWL: That was my idea and it is perfect, thanks for grabbing it synamon

For the record I meant to give credit but sort of tripped over my own words, but I know you weren't offended by me bringing it back up in another form.

>>>> DISCOTEQ21: Closed people and Guarded people should have to play by the same policy they choose. I.E. if you gank an open as a closed or guarded person they could in effect report you.

Zeyurns response to this comment (according to Isharon) was:

>>>> Zeyurn: The only issue I really see here .. is that people who like to be Open are generally the people who say 'Reporting is the devil'.

This is the major flaw with the system. As a non-open player who is open to RP based PvP I think the solution is fairly elegant and solves the problem that provoked this debate. What it doesn't address is the real issue that open players wan't to be able to attack people who attack their friends so even if a guarded player gets consent against an open player (who must be treated as guarded under this scheme) they don't like the fact that the open players open non-spouse family members can't attack the guarded player without consent. Personally I like the proposed system however.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 02:34 PM CDT

I like Buuwl's suggestion by the way- simple and elegant.

But for everyone who keeps complaining about how some 'guarded' players abuse the system to attack open players.

The other alternative is to eliminate Open and make everyone Guarded.

As I understand it when a player chooses the Open stance, he is announcing "I am up for anything- RP, no RP, attack me with RP, attack me with 10 of your friends- I am open for anything"

Except apparently being attacked by a Guarded person without warning.

I understand that there are griefers. I have seen plenty of them over time. But if players weren't Open, then the Guarded players couldn't game the system.

"But I want to be Open"- I get that. But if you are Open you are Open to being ganked by the Guarded Griefer. At least that is how I interpret Open.

I want to be Guarded.

I do not see why I should want or agree to changing to Open or Closed- since neither fits my intent- just so players who want to be Open- don't get ganked by players who are not Open.

Change to Guarded and the issue goes away away for you.

Like I said- I am completely comfortable with my stance- and I don't see why I should be told to change mine- because others don't like one of the consequences of being Open.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 06:13 PM CDT

(sorry for not giving credit to the person's whose idea i copied and pasted, i don't know how to do quotes and i am a little lazy. i really did not mean to pass it off as mine.)

in all honesty, the open-guarded-closed system would work great, and does in theory, if people would just not be jerks. i have been randomly killed once as an open character... i have been killed multiples times to bait other people into a conflict, something i accept as a player, and because of the way i play my character. ( i don't care that much about the exp loss and yadda yadda, i depart and run back out most every time.) ultimately, if you don't want to pvp ever, be closed, if you want there to be rp behind it or you are truly concerned about random death, be guarded, if you just don't care be open. BUT!! respect that there are consequences to your actions and don't use your guarded status as a way to not have to face them. that is what happened with joshuan, it really is that simple.

don't be a jerk, don't take it so seriously, don't go out of your way to make other people unhappy, have fun. it really is -just- a game.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 07:01 PM CDT
Kill em all. Let the Gods sort em out.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 07:31 PM CDT
>>>> BUUWL: That was my idea and it is perfect, thanks for grabbing it synamon

For the record I meant to give credit but sort of tripped over my own words, but I know you weren't offended by me bringing it back up in another form.>>>

No, no no, I wasn't saying I wanted credit, just wanted to restate that I loved the idea, and didn't want someone trolling and saying of course you do it was your idea. Again thanks for backing it up/bringing it back up.

<<Except apparently being attacked by a Guarded person without warning. >>

Nope this misses the point a bit. I don't care about guarded griefers BECAUSE the simple act that tehy are griefing me. I care about them because push comes to shove when I go to get them back its a mess of report/issues that I don't want to deal with (even when your in the right, a report still wastes a night trust me I've been there). Secondly, if you want to grief people you should NEVER be allowed to hide behind being guarded. That in itself is a silly statement, and to me screams mech/policy abuse.

- Buuwl
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 07:40 PM CDT
If you are guarded and griefing someone you are doing it wrong. Your pvp stance says you only want to pvp when the situation calls for it. Not because you walked into to a room and decided to shoot someone in the face. Open people are not guarded griefers play things to attach on a whim and then hide behind policy when it suits them. If you want to act that way, you should be open or be willing to accept the fact the open person can report you on the same level of policy you are hiding behind.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 08:36 PM CDT

Just because im curious is there any examples of factual events that you all can draw upon to reinforce your arguments?

Dont need actual names, but a situation that did occur that left things up in there air.

Or are all of these idea's and what if's hypothetical?

And no im not trying to troll, I in all honesty want to know if there are these actual gaps in the current system which leaves grey zones, or are people just upset because there MIGHT be a grey zone in any given situation?
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 08:48 PM CDT
>>> And no im not trying to troll, I in all honesty want to know if there are these actual gaps in the current system which leaves grey zones, or are people just upset because there MIGHT be a grey zone in any given situation?

There is no grey zone in current policy. The open players don't like one of the implications of current policy. They don't like the fact that a guarded player can attack an open player and that other open players can be reported for attacking the guarded player in return. They feel that this leads to people "playing policy".
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 09:18 PM CDT
These aren't hypotheticals, these are things that have and still do happen from time to time. People will set themselves to guarded and goad someone they don't like into PvP then report because the person didn't have consent.

There is also the player who likes to run their mouth a bit too much in game (or out) and when someone comes to shut it for them they get butt hurt that someone crushed their character for acting like an ass so they report for revenge.

This isn't some new conversation people are having with new ideas. This is a very well tenderized dead horse that has been going on since profiles have been implemented.

>>There is no grey zone in current policy. The open players don't like one of the implications of current policy. They don't like the fact that a guarded player can attack an open player and that other open players can be reported for attacking the guarded player in return. They feel that this leads to people "playing policy".

Please tell me this is sarcasm and I just didn't get it, or are we playing the same game?

PS. I will say that I haven't encountered much of this for that past year or so outside of the known crazies.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/15/2014 09:39 PM CDT
>>Gnikoleychuk: There is no grey zone in current policy. The open players don't like one of the implications of current policy. They don't like the fact that a guarded player can attack an open player and that other open players can be reported for attacking the guarded player in return. They feel that this leads to people "playing policy".

I think that's an accurate summary of how some open players feel about being attacked by guarded players. They don't like that their options are limited when dealing with guarded players. (By setting yourself to open, you give the entire player base wide latitude, while the guarded player can narrow the field by choosing when to grant consent.)

However, the "grey area" involves questions of whether consent is present. There's no question that if Guarded Player A physically attacks Open Player B, Player B has consent to retaliate. Questions arise when Guarded Player A behaves in a hostile manner without physically attacking anyone or when other players want to get involved in the conflict between Guarded Player A and Open Player B. The lack of iron-clad consent makes people wary of getting involved in conflicts with guarded/closed players.

The WARN COMBAT command is one tool that can be used when consent is questionable, but not everyone wants to use that all the time.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 12:00 AM CDT
There's nothing hypothetical about it to answer your question.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 02:54 AM CDT
Again... this thread was started to raise a point, and to basically, put up for debate "can we just have "open and "closed" as the only two options you have when choosing a PvP stance.

The problem i encountered is, that for me, its a pointless setting, and i would just ignore it if it didn't effect me in an adverse way, but it does, as it does others, So thats why i'm suggesting to get rid of it all together.

One of the ways it affects me is because of policy, it can cause a grey area and also can be directly abused. And because of that, it can hold to a certain degree of "risk" to my character, therefore it affects how i would normally interact and RP with people. The risk's are such that, characters can have long lasting effects on his skills, it could restrict his game play, and it can cause lockouts amongst other things that (as its another point of debate) has also be pointed out are consequences that seem quite excessive.

and i'll quote this again as it explains really well one of the flaws.

<You basically hit the nail on the head "unless policy enforcement is being abused by people who are guarded." Does it happen always, of course not. Look at the options this presents though, say a guarded player and an open player are RPing, and they are having an argument that is escalating to the point where they are probably going to PvP. Can the open player attack first? Well sure, but at what level of confidence do they have that they aren't going to get reported for unconsented PvP? The guarded person certainly has the right to report the open person for attacking them if there wasn't any clear consent.

<Now look at the flipside, the guarded person is in complete control of the situation, they can attack first without fear of any such report. Also look at the penalties from each point of view, the guarded person has 0 possible penalty, except a text death if they lose the fight which is literally 0. The open person has the ability to get a warning, which is 6 months of no experience drain, and a warning on their record for life.

<I'm not sure when a warning is considered non-stackable with another warning but let's just say it's 6 months. 6 months of playing is a long time to not get into a conflict if you want to RP with anyone when the entire game's focal point is about combat and violence. If the open person gets a warning, they for sure aren't going to go anywhere near a guarded person for PvP and chance another warning that can hold a larger penalty. Does that make sense?

This wasnt about trying to stop policy players, or griefers.

If we just had the “closed” and “open” stance, when it comes to consent rules, there is absolutely no difference on how i act or react to the possibility of PvP with either a closed or open player. I will treat them in both the exact same way. And it will be up to the person who is closed to conduct themselves in a way and manner to what he wants to express to the open player, what he sees as acceptable of what he will involve himself in.
I'm not sure what it is that guarded people are worried they are going to loose, or why people are objecting to this. Other than, they object to some of peoples beliefs or points they have raised. I haven't seen reasons to “keep” the guarded stance. Just statements arguing the support of not changing it.

Its also why, like i've said previously, that if your RP stance is Heavy, you should be open, RPing heavy for me isnt about how i said nahi, aye or how much history i know. Its more about your overall sense of immersion is to a different world . And violence death and conflict and all that, is very much a way of life for the world we a RPing in. But hey, that would be just too much to ask for... lol.

<There is no grey zone in current policy. The open players don't like one of the implications of current policy. They don't like the fact that a guarded player can attack an open player and hat other open players can be reported for attacking the guarded player in return. They feel that this leads to people "playing policy".

This is just oversimplifying what this is about. I do believe there are grey area's in policy. Also i could be reading you incorrectly and apologies if i am, but it seems you making those statements from a very judgmental, stereotyped and shortsighted opinion of what "open" people are like, or the reasons we play "open".

Rifkinn
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 04:20 AM CDT
Usually when this horse is ressurected I don't bother reading it, but I've been sick in bed without much better to do.

And now I'm rather alarmed at how cognitively dissonant the various sides of this "debate" are. I knew I wasn't playing the same DR as everyone, but dang. Is anyone playing the same game here? Has pvp policy moved too far in the direction of encouraging insular pvp-stance cliques and their resulting extremism and crazy?

Somethings broke at least.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 07:07 AM CDT
>Has pvp policy moved too far in the direction of encouraging insular pvp-stance cliques and their resulting extremism and crazy?

Self selecting groups. The boards are only a small subset of DR, and the people posting in this thread are people who have extreme opinions and are attached to PvP as a whole in DR.

So no. It would be like going onto a conspiracy nuts board and going 'wow, all Americans are crazy'. You don't get there and stick around unless you already buy the line.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 09:33 AM CDT
Also a week ago there was a report Fest which re-spurred a lot of the discussion in various chat rooms and groups outside the forums. The bottom line is unfortunately a few annoying apples are not using the system the way it was intended. Many of the open griefers have moved on and now we are stuck wih a very small group of policy players who just like the griefers should be made known their behavior is not acceptable.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 09:36 AM CDT
<<Self selecting groups. The boards are only a small subset of DR, and the people posting in this thread are people who have extreme opinions and are attached to PvP as a whole in DR.>>

Many posting here actually haven't been expressing extreme opinions and are rather working toward a possibly solution/fix to a very small but annoying flaw in the current system.

Imagine! those most attached to pvp as a whole are the one's bringing up the current pvp stance system, what an odd concept indeed.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 10:55 AM CDT
>Many posting here actually haven't been expressing extreme opinions

Guess we are reading different threads?
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 12:53 PM CDT

<<<Guess we are reading different threads?>>

Or the same thread differently....

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 01:36 PM CDT
>>>> LOCUTIS1: Also i could be reading you incorrectly and apologies if i am, but it seems you making those statements from a very judgmental, stereotyped and shortsighted opinion of what "open" people are like, or the reasons we play "open".

I didn't intend it to come across that way at all. I was trying to summarize why people who are open have a problem with guarded players. One of the major problems brought up in this thread was that if guarded player A attacks open player B, player B's friends cannot attack player A. I also forgot about the case where guarded player A goads open player B into attack them in order to report them. These are both legitimate concerns for open players.

>>>> LOCUTIS1: I'm not sure what it is that guarded people are worried they are going to loose, or why people are objecting to this

Because some people don't like the fact that they are open to possibility being randomly killed when they are open but still like the opportunity to engage in PvP, remote or otherwise. This is legitimate concern for some players.

>>>> NINEVAH1: Please tell me this is sarcasm and I just didn't get it, or are we playing the same game?

I was being serious. You need to get consent before you attack a guarded player. It is very clear. What is not clear is what things other than attacking you or overtly saying "you have consent to attack me" constitutes consent.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 02:17 PM CDT

<Because some people don't like the fact that they are open to possibility being randomly killed when they are open but still like the opportunity to engage in PvP, remote or otherwise. This is legitimate concern for some players.

If your closed you can still engage in PvP. There is nothing to say a closed player cant PvP. And this is one of the misconceptions of what i see the profile system as representing. Chooseing a PvP stance, isnt to show you what you are restricted to do. Its a representation of what you believe the other person might do. If someone is stance RP light, im not going to walk up to that person assuming he wants to have a long discussion about the political state of Zoluren, I'll find someone who has RP stance Heavy.
But the guy who is set to light can go up and make the first moves to show that, today, he would like to see what its like to RP alittle heavier than normal.

6:15 am, no spell check...bed

Rifkinn
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/16/2014 11:43 PM CDT

"If we just had the “closed” and “open” stance, when it comes to consent rules, there is absolutely no difference on how i act or react to the possibility of PvP with either a closed or open player. I will treat them in both the exact same way."

If we just had the "closed' and "Guarded' stance- there would be no issue.

You want to take away my stance. Because it annoys you. It is a problem for you.

The way I look at it- if we did away with Open, it would work just as well, but I would still have my preferred stance.

And your objective would have been resolved.

If you choose to be Open- you choose the good and the bad.

No one can force you to attack them. You can't get a warning for not attacking someone.

Leave my stance alone.

Simple as that.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/17/2014 01:06 AM CDT
>If we just had the "closed' and "Guarded' stance- there would be no issue.

Sure there would, it would be DR from a long time ago where everyone who engaged in PvP would be hesitant under the guise of making sure they had iron clad consent in fear of a warning. There are players that don't like the guessing game, especially considering rulings for similar situations can be completely different all based on the mood and the GM you're in the consult with.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/17/2014 03:41 AM CDT

<Leave my stance alone.

Dude, tell me how it will effect you. What are you going to loose?

Somehow i dont think you understand what all this is about, and thats fine. But, if you want to weigh in on the discussion think it through what your suggesting first.

Rifkinn
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/17/2014 05:51 AM CDT
I know why this was created, but some times I think people forget the common sense aspect of it.

Being closed or guarded is not a license to be a jerk. I say this as a person who plays guarded. And I do it because there are certain people who are way over my circle who will kill JUST because you're set open and that just sucks.

I generally play as though I'm open. Rifkinn's my friend but I'm going to use him as an example for this post.

If I antagonize someone like Rifkinn, seriously I expect to get my butt kicked. You can't just open your mouth if you dislike someone and not expect to get your teeth kicked in. Period. Likewise, when I'm in a position of being the much higher level character and some nitwit is getting on my nerves, I will warn them simply, using in character tools (Bub, you're pushing your luck. Say it one more time and you're idiot flambe. Et cetera) And then I'm going to kick their teeth up between there ears.

I don't think I've ever checked someone's PVP stance before the scenario above played itself out. There's a lot of hair splitting going on in this thread where I believe common sense will clear it up.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/17/2014 06:37 AM CDT
<<I don't think I've ever checked someone's PVP stance before the scenario above played itself out. There's a lot of hair splitting going on in this thread where I believe common sense will clear it up.>>

Just like the vast majority of opens don't grief the vast majority of guarded don't play policy. I am glad for you, that you have not had an issue up to this point. When you do have an issue with this type of player you will feel different.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/17/2014 06:39 AM CDT

I didn't mean to come off holier than thou.

You're right, rules manipulators will take any situation and make it suck. I hope the intent of my message makes sense even if it was a little unintentionally conceited?

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.