Re: Open Closed Guarded ::Nudge:: 03/13/2014 01:49 PM CDT
Bickering here will end up with the thread shut down because you (general you) don't respect someone else's decision to post and you (general you) are taking comments (probably not even directed at you! (general you)) too personally.

See how that works?

Funny, that's how policy seems to work too.

- Erixx
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:50 PM CDT
>>Actually that's called mech abuse, try again.

I don't know whether it is or it isn't. I know that if it IS, it's because the players think they know who plays both of those characters.

If it is...it was abused on both sides. Both sides did the exact same thing. NOT LIKE. EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

Just one side had a set of guarded players and one side had a set of open ones.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:51 PM CDT
The only suggestions I'm hearing in regard to open/closed/guarded are game enders.

So you lock people open for pvp. What is the end state for that?

The toughest group of people never has any trouble murdering everything that reacts to it's members. So Mouthy Jo can gweth everything, slap who they want, generally be a disruptive influence without any expectation of reprisal. (Other than a death that will quickly be turned around and repaid, possibly multiple times). Mouthy Jo has a support staff that heals them, rezzes them and gets them going again.

The character that had the sand to stand up to Mouthy Jo has what exactly? At what point does RPing a rough and tumble lowbie become too much hassle when you'll NEVER win. At what point does ALWAYS winning become boring? This is a broken state for both parties. No growth, no equanimity, no fun.

Removing guarded:
All downs. You remove a large portion of the player-base's comfort zone as well as their ability to engage in any sort of combat vs players. Effectively removing 1/3rd of the game for them. Because as we all know, there's PVE, PVP and RP. That's it we're not getting much more than that.

If they pop open, well...see above.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:52 PM CDT
>Asked and answered, scroll up

I should have read the whole thread before posting. Good points, but stealing is similar to first strike in that the other player is affected by the thief/attacker without a choice. I believe that is why stealing will lock a character open. If you are willing to start a PVP conflict, you should be OPEN.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:58 PM CDT
>I don't know whether it is or it isn't. I know that if it IS, it's because the players think they know who plays both of those characters.

>If it is...it was abused on both sides. Both sides did the exact same thing. NOT LIKE. EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

>Just one side had a set of guarded players and one side had a set of open ones.

Using another one of your characters to finish a conflict for you because you were unable to do it with the character involved is most definitely Mech Abuse.

Someone standing up for a friend and attacking the individual that just killed their friend isn't Mech Abuse, unfortunately in that case it was Unconsented PvP because someone wanted to hide behind policy and abuse the mechanics of the game.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:00 PM CDT

>>I don't know whether it is or it isn't. I know that if it IS, it's because the players think they know who plays both of those characters.

If it is...it was abused on both sides. Both sides did the exact same thing. NOT LIKE. EXACTLY THE SAME THING.>>

It most definitely is. Besides being told as such, GMs could trace IPs and see that it is. Pretty simple?

And it wasn't the same thing. Empath A was ASKED why she died, and she told them. It was the decision of the other player to come in and kill the ALT. So, no.. nothing was handled poorly on Empath A side. Can't blame her for being well-liked by people?

However, empath B/ALT logged in, as the same player, to take care of an "issue" that the PLAYER had taken personally.

So, yeah.

NOT EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

:)
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:07 PM CDT
Some conflicts should be handled in an open manner. If you're declaring war on a recognized group of people...you should be open to getting slaughtered by them.

If you're just slapping one of them down for being mean to you, that's a horse of a different nature. Should you be forced by someone else to deal with several people of a much more trained nature if your character doesn't like to be slapped around but doesn't care about politics?

How is having 'friends' help you during conflicts different from a single person having an alt help them?

At what point is a group just rampaging around forcing their RP on everyone else? Should they not have a degree of flexibility as well? It's not as though they need to hunt for people to be against the group as a whole. There's MORE than enough people willing to attack 'groups' for one reason or another. Rifkinn is constantly doing it...ALL of Therengia is doing it.

The distinction lies with the RP and the players. If you KNOW someone isn't open to it...why not just take the hit on the chin? You're literally trying to grief them. You're obviously ok with the death, you're OPEN, you OPENED your mouth etc etc. I'm using the royal 'you'.

Well...they killed me! So what? That's exactly what your arguments have always been. "Meh, so what? Just text, don't take it personal." I know it's a tough steak to chew but you can't force every person you encounter into YOUR RP.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:09 PM CDT
>>it's somewhat funny that stealing from a player sets you open for a few hours, but no other crimes against a player will (murder, attempted murder, etc.). I think initiating any type of PVP should lock the character to open for a few hours.

>>Asked and answered, scroll up

This was the answer just FYI:

>>Hmm.. probably beating a dead horse here, but remind me why the attack mechanic is different from the stealing mechanic?

>>Player A attacks player B with a weak character, player B hits back. Player B is now open - player A brings in a higher character and proceeds to kill B. Grief ensues.

And to put it in a non-scenario reason. Stealing is always a negative/first strike thing. Attacking someone else CAN be a negative/first strike but sometimes it can be in retaliation to something that granted consent. So what it comes down to is it's more difficult to say 'mechanically' that an attacker should be set open because there are too many variables to determine.

What would be fantastic is if actions taken against you could set you ineligible to be set open.

This is just an example so the times I indicate are just arbitrarily picked.
Person A steals from closed person B, a timer is set for person B to retaliate against person A for two hours. During this hour timer, person B can attack\kill\steal against person A without triggering (the currently non-existent but player proposed) first strike mechanic. So Player B has 2 hours to retaliate against person A without triggering the mechanic that would set him/her open.

This obviously doesn't take care of mouthing off, slapping, kicking etc, but stuff that should be included IMO is casting a violent spell, physical attacks, aiming, stealing, possibly others...

just an idea not sure how viable it is mechanics wise.

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html

Codiax.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:17 PM CDT
Attacking someone is not as clear cut as stealing. A few "ifs" to consider: pets, AOE, boxes, disablers, ect. These all grant consent, but it is impossible to regulate every action that may grant consent to a warning like stealing has.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:17 PM CDT

>>How is having 'friends' help you during conflicts different from a single person having an alt help them?

How about something called RP? Doesn't take RP to buy someone else's character and use them for your own gain. There was no RP in logging in an alt and killing Empath A.

And, once again.. Empath A didn't cry about it, as I've pointed out a number of times now. So she did just roll with it. But because she ROLEPLAYS and has FRIENDS from roleplaying, her friends ROLEPLAYED it out and came back to slap the person that pushed her around. And, I suppose without surprise, instead of handling it in an RP way (which I guess is expected at this point?), they decided to report. So they went from mech abuse to reporting on Empath B/ALT side, while Empath A roleplayed it out, and you're telling me that it's exactly the same thing?

Right-o.

Mech abuse = roleplay = reporting, in your book.

Noted!
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:20 PM CDT

>>However, empath B/ALT logged in, as the same player, to take care of an "issue" that the PLAYER had taken personally.

>>So, yeah.

>>NOT EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

This doesn't seem like a childish distinction to you? I don't see the difference. One person playing two characters or two people playing two. I guess maybe as far as simu-rules go there's a distinction.

I live with two other players. My wife and my best friend. At any given time, this IP address will show from 2-6 characters. Why would there be a burden of proof for it? Who cares?

Two empaths disagreed, two characters that are NOT the empaths intervened.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:34 PM CDT
>This doesn't seem like a childish distinction to you? I don't see the difference. One person playing two characters or two people playing two. I guess maybe as far as simu-rules go there's a distinction.

Ya there's a distinction.

If someone has to logon or bring their other character in to resolve a conflict which they aren't part of it's deemed as mechanics abuse. Especially if the other character wasn't even in the room or online at the time.

I've seen it happen before.

I've been witness to someone taking their Barbarian from Intercessors to Mutant Togballs to kill a guy because he was hunting in his Empath's room. I've also heard of a WM login their Thief to point and ambush slash a Ranger because the Warrior Mage was unable to search them, or keep them in the room long enough to kill.

All of those scenarios are Mech Abuse.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:37 PM CDT
Even if guarded goes away (it won't), these situations/conversations won't stop happening. People will still find ways to abuse loopholes on both sides of the equation. Some people will continue to feel wronged because they got reported, and others will feel wronged because they're being dragged into a situation they have no interest in participating in.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:40 PM CDT

>>If someone has to logon or bring their other character in to resolve a conflict which they aren't part of it's deemed as mechanics abuse. Especially if the other character wasn't even in the room or online at the time.

Ok...you've distinguished that this is abuse. How is it different when two people do it instead of just one.

Same scenario, same lack of being there, same everything. Just it's two people now on two characters instead of one.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:43 PM CDT
>>This doesn't seem like a childish distinction to you? I don't see the difference. One person playing two characters or two people playing two. I guess maybe as far as simu-rules go there's a distinction.

You can't you your first character to bait someone into a fight with your second character. It's sometimes against policy to game some systems using multiple/same accounts (another example is accusing necros using your own multiple accounts).

>>I live with two other players. My wife and my best friend. At any given time, this IP address will show from 2-6 characters. Why would there be a burden of proof for it? Who cares?

IIRC, you can't bait someone into a fight just so your friend can beat the snot out of them, either.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:52 PM CDT
>>That's not up for you to decide.

It's not up to you, either, soooooooo.

>>They will never 100% go away, but a lot can be mitigated by removing the tools for mechanics to be abused in the first place.

This is already being done. GMs lock people open for abusing the guarded stance. GMs remove people's ability to report when they use it as a cudgel against other players, as well. Etc.

Making it a binary PvP always or PvP never isn't going to happen, because there's a much larger group of people who are more likely in the middle ground than you'd believe. Comparing it to other MMORPGs is an exercise in futility, as well, because the gross majority of those games have no real drawbacks to PvP deaths.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:52 PM CDT
>>You can't you your first character to bait someone into a fight with your second character.
This is what Empath B did (first to use the lame)

>>IIRC, you can't bait someone into a fight just so your friend can beat the snot out of them, either.
This is what Empath A did. (followed up lame with lame + a friend)

So...by process of elimination there...there's no distinction between one person playing two character and two people playing two as far as lameness goes.

That's really what I was getting at. It's wrong to do it in either case. That's using a 'throwaway' character to initiate combat and grief. Whether you play the character or someone else does is moot. It's a lame way to do business on a 1v1 basis. Group PVP situations CAN NOT BE APPLIED TO 1V1 CONFLICT RESOLUTION.

I can't say that enough. If a group member graverobs from someone...someone shouldn't have to go through an entire group to right that wrong. If a group member starts a fight with a single person, and that person only wants to deal with that group member...that's their right as a player.

Anything else is just flexing and poor sportsmanship.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 02:57 PM CDT
>>So...by process of elimination there...there's no distinction between one person playing two character and two people playing two as far as lameness goes.

Eh, no real distinction in reality. But, at the same time, there are different policies being violated. You can't have your alts fight your own battles and you can't use your character to bait someone into a fight with someone else.

>>If a group member graverobs from someone...someone shouldn't have to go through an entire group to right that wrong. If a group member starts a fight with a single person, and that person only wants to deal with that group member...that's their right as a player.

And that's why I feel guarded won't change. If someone graverobs you, you're not going to be forced into picking between being closed and not trying to get your stuff back yourself or being open and having to potentially fight everyone who wants to fight you.

IMO the easiest solution for people who have issues with people set as Guarded are to just treat them as if they were Closed. It sounds like the people you're worried about are going to be playing pretty loose with policy no matter what their PvP stance, and you'll have a much better chance of enjoying yourself if you just ignore them completely. That seems like an easier system to implement than making less PvP options while also fitting all these policy conditionals into the mix.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 03:02 PM CDT

>>>>IIRC, you can't bait someone into a fight just so your friend can beat the snot out of them, either.
This is what Empath A did. (followed up lame with lame + a friend)>>

Once again, incorrect. Empath A did not "bait", Empath A was already healing said person and Empath B chose to ignore Empath A so Empath A slept Empath B. Empath A also didn't go and ask for help, but when asked what HAPPENED, friend decided to take action.

So, no. There was no baiting. Empath A didn't even know that Empath B and ALT were the same person until it was pointed out to them. So, yeah.. no baiting, not the same thing. TY!

>>I can't say that enough. If a group member graverobs from someone...someone shouldn't have to go through an entire group to right that wrong. If a group member starts a fight with a single person, and that person only wants to deal with that group member...that's their right as a player.>>

Right, it should've stayed as Empath A and Empath B instead of Empath B using mech abuse to roll in their ALT.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 03:56 PM CDT
>>Once again, incorrect. Empath A did not "bait", Empath A was already healing said person and Empath B chose to ignore Empath A so Empath A slept Empath B. Empath A also didn't go and ask for help, but when asked what HAPPENED, friend decided to take action.

I'm speaking in broad strokes here. Not the intricate details. Empath A is used as bait all the time. This isn't even a questionable assertion. It happens, it's fun, that's what Empath A does. I'm not unreasonable in an argument but that's one point that I'm (for my point of view) not opening for debate. They take pride in it.

In this one instance, the cart came before the horse, yes. That said, I'm not trying to debate one instance of anything. I'm trying to explain why open/guarded/closed is having problems and this example is showing a lot of different viewpoints.

Some things that will help for further conflict resolution is not assuming you know things that you don't know. "Empath B ignored her." You don't know that...you're coloring your opinion and other people's with that. Empath B might not have noticed. Empath B, like just about every other empath in game MIGHT JUST HAVE A SCRIPT THAT THEY TURNED ON and didn't catch any comments made.

These are all methods you use to demonize a character and that in turns allows you to make a snap decision that wasn't really warranted. Everyone keeps screaming about mech abuse.

Mech abuse is bad. Mech abuse is the means by which players attain an unfair advantage over other players. Do you think that YOU should be enforcing the mech abuse policy?

Your answer will not be yes. If someone is obviously abusing something. Hey, that's what GM's are for. Everyone has this stigma about the GM's. Like you're a bad player if you say, "Jeeze, that guy is really breaking the rules there."

Instead...you scream about mech abuse, then traipse down the same dirt road as the first person and do the same thing. I don't know what resulted from it but I can tell that it wasn't good.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 04:14 PM CDT
I guess if I was in the habit of logging in my alt to handle conflicts on my other characters I would be fighting as hard for it as you are right now.

- Erixx
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 04:27 PM CDT
>>I wasn't the one making the statement Guarded isn't going away, that was you. The comment still stands, I never said if something is or isn't being changed. You're not staff, no need to act like it.

I'm entirely comfortable over handwaving away your argument over the semantics of saying "I think Guarded needs to be removed completely" vs "Even if guarded goes away (it won't)".

Now with that out of the way, let us continue beating this dead horse.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 05:29 PM CDT
>>I guess if I was in the habit of logging in my alt to handle conflicts on my other characters I would be fighting as hard for it as you are right now.

Where...ever am I condoning that behavior? I'm not spouting opinion from a pristine pedestal. I had a conflict with Nefidyne...he got REALLY ooc, he made some ooc threats and I thought to myself 'Self, it's time to stitch this guy up.' And I nailed him once with another character.

I regret it. I don't think it was the right thing to do. I did SUCH a great job stitching him up that he almost quit the game over it. I quickly IM'd him and talked him off the ledge, called it square and we can still talk to this day.

You can personally attack me if it makes you feel better, Erixx. I respect you as a player but this is not an opinion of mine that I'm going to change because it's all the sudden brought to light that I've done it as well. I can tell you that I'll never do it again.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 05:43 PM CDT
That being said, I don't think it's particularly wrong to stomp on a known griefer in any manner. If they kill without reason, they can be killed without reason. Think of it as bloody tag. I gave Celesi the stiletto tickle yesterday, not for any other reason that he was feeling froggy and killing people that were open.

I'm really disappointed in that tactic, Erixx. I've taken my licks, I don't freak out. Nefidyne actually scared me with some of the things he was saying so I made a snap choice...it was a bad choice. I'm not so proud I can't admit it.

But the entirety of all my arguments surrounding this sort of behavior have been to STOP it. Myself included. Did you just twist what you thought I was arguing so you could attack me? Or are you really confused by what I'm saying?
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 06:02 PM CDT
>>Martincoty77: The only thing removing the guarded stance would do, at this point in DR history, is take away policy player's power.

I don't think that getting rid of the "guarded" stance will have an effect on PvP or policy players, since closed and guarded are already identical from a policy perspective. The people who like to play policy are going to keep doing that. It won't take any of the guesswork out of determining who's likely to report.

As simple as it sounds, I don't think that immediately setting people to open for a single first strike is an optimal solution. If your character steals from someone, and the victim decides to exercise his consent, why should he be open to attack from all of your alts/friends? That's why I prefer the GM plan of requiring multiple first strikes in a given time period to set you to open.

If you want to deter policy players, change policy by creating consequences for people who abuse policy. Start imposing PvP warnings on people who report PvP that results from in-game conflicts that they started or chose to escalate. It's nice that GMs are more willing to tell policy players that it's a no-GM situation when "when you run your mouth and get your clock cleaned," but that doesn't discourage them from reporting. As far as the policy player is concerned, if there is a chance that you can get the other person in trouble with no chance of getting in trouble, yourself, there is no reason not to report.

>>Uritel: probably beating a dead horse here, but remind me why the attack mechanic is different from the stealing mechanic? If you steal from someone you're locked open to PVP for.. 24 or 48 hours?

As GM Zeyurn put it, "Stealing is the most 'important' one to be there because you can do it without any consent or permission, meaning you're allowed to generically victimize people without things like warnings." However, there are plans for multiple first strikes to automatically change your PvP stance to open.

"I know people hate 'soon' but mechanical changes to flag people Guarded/Open based on how often they engage in PvP is already approved, we just haven't had the time to get to it yet." --DR-Zeyurn (06/18/2010)

"First strike while Closed will definitely set you to Guarded, multiple first strikes while Guarded in a TBD period of time will set you Open." --DR-Zeyurn (07/02/2010)

"As I've posted before, it won't be 'one first strike' that locks you Open." --DR-Zeyurn (07/13/2010)

>>Martincoty77: I never knew the above existed though, what rules apply to "multiple first strikes while Guarded in a TBD period of time will set you Open"? Has anyone seen this work?

It hasn't been implemented yet.

>>Clerixhax: There's a lot more risk involved when you're talking about the "I'm afraid of attacking a guarded player." An Open player dying to a random gank is about 5 minutes of their time to depart item and wait for death sickness to wear off, versus a Warning and possible time out of the game because someone wanted to play Policy.

I'm not suggesting that the consequences are the same, just that assumptions on both sides can be outdated. Expecting people to have good faith in their fellow players cuts both ways.

>>Aim4: Ok...you've distinguished that this is abuse. How is it different when two people do it instead of just one.

From an RP perspective (not necessarily a policy perspective), it is legitimate for a person's family and friends (not alts) to want to intervene in a conflict that doesn't directly involve them. (That happens often in real life.) However, as a practical matter, there are a lot of situations where players get involved in their friends' conflicts for OOC reasons, even though the characters involved have no relationship. There is a big difference between, "You killed my sister," and "You killed my friend's alt." The latter is not role-playing.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 06:10 PM CDT
>>From an RP perspective (not necessarily a policy perspective), it is legitimate for a person's family and friends (not alts) to want to intervene in a conflict that doesn't directly involve them. (That happens often in real life.) However, as a practical matter, there are a lot of situations where players get involved in their friends' conflicts for OOC reasons, even though the characters involved have no relationship. There is a big difference between, "You killed my sister," and "You killed my friend's alt." The latter is not role-playing.

Yes, it's perfectly reasonable to be grumpy about that sort of thing.

HLC coming in to put a boot down on the fella that killed his little sissy is not the only recourse available. Shame them, stun them, steal from them and get caught on purpose (not to the extent you're harassing them mechanically, pick one not all) and let them know they've generally made an enemy of you but the bullying needs to stop.

People are leaving the game because of it. Whether you like them or not people add to the richness of the game environment. I would rather have a thousand people in game that I hated instead of 1 I like.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 06:51 PM CDT
I know I'm not adding anything useful with this post, but seriously guys and gals, 2009 just called me up and it wants its discussion topics back. This stuff is long since settled.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 08:15 PM CDT
>>If there's not iron clad consent, and specific steps taken every time a player engages in potential PvP against a Guarded character, you run the risk of a warning.

There's only one specific step you need to use when engaging in PvP with a Guarded (or Closed) character: use WARN. Out of curiosity, has anyone here heard of a person getting a warning after using WARN appropriately? I have not, but I also don't pay much attention to such things or frequent the forums/chat rooms where they're discussed.

And now, some Quotes for Truth:

No amount of rule changing or policy adjusting is going to stop annoying people from being annoying. Blaming the guarded stance is not going to make annoying people less annoying nor will it make the people who play policy when they inject themselves into conflicts play policy any less than normal.
I don't think that getting rid of the "guarded" stance will have an effect on PvP or policy players, since closed and guarded are already identical from a policy perspective. The people who like to play policy are going to keep doing that. It won't take any of the guesswork out of determining who's likely to report.

Help recruit more players! Is Vote!
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 08:23 PM CDT
This entire thread makes me want to quit.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 08:30 PM CDT
I've enjoyed reading this thread, and for the most part am glad that the issue i pointed out has been able to be discussed, and that as a result a couple of other issues have been able to been brought up as well that it seems people would like to shine a light on, and hopefully have them looked at and gone past the point of just being a topic thats being used as something we as players discuss and debate here but move to the point where we get some feedback from GM's on weather or not they are going to look at it and why or why not they will amend,change or remove the issues.

One of the sideline issues for this topic is the comments made about how the severity of warnings seems to need a re going over, That in effect its been said that being on the receiving end on some consequences can actually destroy you character and whether or not they are too much of a penalty to receive, and Also the severity of warning can impede or limit your playing style and how you RP or play the game. But, thats not the main topic here.

The Issue i raised was that the guarded stance is causing more problems than its intended use for people. And a discussion and debate has been had on weather or not others agree or disagree with this, with boths sides of the argument having its supporters and fair reasons for supporting it.
One of the common themes that both sides agree on is that we agree that RP is involved in this regardless of what form RP takes. And that also we all play this game for enjoyment and what is essential, ( i don't think anyone that has made a post here, said that they themselves are incapable of being mature, so no allowances in policy need to be made for that) is common sense and maturity. The vast majority of us are mature people who play their characters with a sense of what is fair play and good sportsmanship ( im assuming that there might be a few people out there under 18 and have a little immaturity about their nature that can impede their ability to play with the same maturity that we have).

One other theme again that seems to be common on both sides, is that RP basically is just RPing your character with the same common sense behavior as we have in the real world with how we as individuals would react and behave given what ever moral code and values you have in the real world. Obviously RPing a psychopath is just childish and bad taste, as would RP someone with a mental disease.

With this in mind, we do need to cater to those of us who play such that, regardless, they don't PvP so any RP involving the potential of PvP they choose not to be a part of. And consideration to that needs to be in place in the form of some rules.

Me personally i'm someone who just RP's, end of story. Any and all consequences as a result of that i pay for, Like the example someone bought up, If i kill someone, i can expect that there is a possibility that a family member or even friend would come after me for revenge. But thats me.

To take it a step further regarding stances, i'm also of the opinion that, if your RP stanced to heavy, you are open. Why because RP isn't as much what you throw out to the environment, Its more, i beleive, how you react to the environment. And accepting any and all consequences is pretty much what i would see as a heavy stance on how you personally present yourself to the other participants of this game. but again, thats for another discussion.

So With regards to the guarded stance, i think that it has been shown that at least with those of us who read the boards and raise questions to the GM's about stuff ect. There is enough of us who agree that Guarded is not serving its purpose, if there wasn't any problems arising from having it in the game we wouldn't ask for it to be removed, but we have shown that it pose problems for us as players and also sets up unfair risks. My motivation for bringing this topic up, is not because ultimatly i want to try to stop the people that dont play with that maturity or good sportmanship IE. policy players or people who use it to mech abuse or set others up for a warning. Its because the grey area that exists as a result of it, effects my game play, and enjoyment of the game.

Now that this particular motion,debate or discussion has come to this point on the boards, can it go to the next step where we are given some feedback about whether or not GM's agree that its something that needs to be reviewed.

Rifkinn
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 09:33 PM CDT
I enjoy seeing Rifkin in the game, but that was a lot of words, if I wanted to read I'd play a game without pictures.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 09:49 PM CDT
<<There is enough of us who agree that Guarded is not serving its purpose>>

I feel that you and many others are misinterpreting the purpose of the other PvP stances.

Frankly if everyone was mature and used common sense there would be no need for a flag system and the basic consent policy would be just fine.

Since unconsented PvP will always be against policy on the prime server, the purpose of the flag system is to help limit some ambiguity when consent issues come up. But reports will always be generated due to the different perspectives on when and who has constent on a character.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 09:52 PM CDT

<<Frankly if everyone was mature and used common sense there would be no need for a flag system and the basic consent policy would be just fine. >>

Clearly this is far too much to ask for.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 10:39 PM CDT
>>I feel that you and many others are misinterpreting the purpose of the other PvP stances.

No problem, i dont think i am.

Rifkinn
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 11:09 PM CDT
>>HLC coming in to put a boot down on the fella that killed his little sissy is not the only recourse available. Shame them, stun them, steal from them and get ??>>caught on purpose (not to the extent you're harassing them mechanically, pick one not all) and let them know they've generally made an enemy of you but the >>bullying needs to stop

Maybe you can't count, which is possible. Circle wise the HLC that came to put a boot down was smaller than the HLC that logged in to defend said HLC's alt when that particular person wasn't happy with how the confrontation was going. You seem to be pretty angry. I seem to remember a problem with a particular ranger and a warrior mage. Said warrior mage brought in his Thief to help the conflict. If we want to go down the bullying route, maybe you should stop calling the kettle black.

- Erixx
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 11:10 PM CDT
>>The character that had the sand to stand up to Mouthy Jo has what exactly? At what point does RPing a rough and tumble lowbie become too much hassle when you'll NEVER win. At what point does ALWAYS winning become boring? This is a broken state for both parties. No growth, no equanimity, no fun.

In the case of the Arkarms, as they are the local boogymen of choice this year - in past events, Liurilias, Rifkinn and myself have managed to knock down any one, and often groups of them at a shot. Yes, as a whole they possess a lot of heft and folks fear the idea of taking them on as a crew, HOWEVER, they aren't like some pack of sharks waiting for someone to smash for giggles.

Frankly, if you (anyone in this thread) is intimidated by the idea of an organized group willing to defend itself - team up. There's plenty of people out there that can hold their own, even against that power pack.

Samsaren
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 11:53 PM CDT
<<That person died, the player reported>>

Policy is very clear cut and simple, one must have consent before engaging in PvP.

In the scenario, did player get consent to attack other player? Of all the details in the story this one is key and should not be glossed over.

The problem comes from the mentality that me attacking your friend, clan mate, grandpa order memeber, etc grants consent. But it doesn't. It hasn't.

Get consent, PvP, be happy.

Yamcer

::Post Hidden:: 03/14/2014 12:06 AM CDT

A post was removed.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 08:53 AM CDT
Seems a good discussion and my thought process has evolved reading through it.

- Some guarded people use PvP stance to policy play
- Some guarded people use PvP stance correctly
- Opens are just that, open but dislike people that are guarded whom go around killing smaller opens
- Open person killing smaller opens happens too, but much less because there are consequences involved.
- If we remove guarded, closed becomes the new guarded. However, a closed is not allowed to kill smaller opens. So it's a step in the right direction for at least this point.
- If we remove guarded, it could negatively affect the guarded people that use the PvP stance correctly. They either have to go closed, which you are supposed to avoid PvP, or go open which may invite random killings (although evidence shows this is very mild) I would expect the people that use the PvP stance correctly to go open.

Other Solutions:
- Make it so you can't attack an open stance player unless you are open yourself or have consent. Opens already cannot attack a closed or guarded without clear consent. Opens can attack other opens without consent.
- Add an auto-stance updater that updates guarded and or closed to Open under certain circumstances. Add a retaliation timer to Guarded & Closed. If the closed is stolen from, aimed, kicked, punched, slapped, any attack etc, the retaliation timers gives them x hours (maybe a full day 24 hours?) to retaliate. This may be mechanically the hardest to do.

I see possible flaws in all of it - would any of it play out better or worse? I think the retaliation timer is the best option but the hardest to handle mechanically.

Codiax.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/14/2014 10:12 AM CDT

i had a nice post that explained the situation that initiated this, as well as my characters personal experience with the "i am guarded and i will report you!" types. but i used letters inappropriately and it got pulled.

for me, this whole situation is summed up like this... My character that has never been anything but open is now guarded to protect the people i care about. so stupid. it would be really easy if people just didn't suck.

(this is way less words too, yey!)