Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 08:58 PM CDT
>>Closed designates they don't care to participate in any PvP

And yet someone could still participate through PvP or just being annoying to the point where you should have consent.

>>if they were to attack a random Open it would be grounds for them to be set Open.

This could arguably happen to someone abusing Guarded status, too.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 09:04 PM CDT
>>And yet someone could still participate through PvP or just being annoying to the point where you should have consent.

Someone being annoying should never be consent. Being unable to come up with any way to deal with someone annoying you other than punching them in the face is a failing on you, not the system.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 09:12 PM CDT
>And yet someone could still participate through PvP.

That wouldn't be a Closed nature. Closed signifies a character does everything they can to avoid PvP.

Difference between Closed and Guarded is the guarded player shows interest in PvPing but only when it's convenient for them. While being able to hide behind policy when it's not in their favor.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 09:20 PM CDT
>>Closed signifies a character does everything they can to avoid PvP.

I agree, but it also doesn't mean you're immune to it if you're being an idiot. Or safe from PvP 100% no matter what.

CLOSED - This setting indicates that you prefer to do everything you can to avoid PVP. Please note that this setting does not PROTECT you from PVP, it merely states that you're not generally interested in participating. If you choose to do things that cause bad feelings or ill will, however, you may get involved in PVP whether you like it or not.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 09:23 PM CDT
Guarded to me is a way to slow down PvP escalation. Sure, interactions may get to PvP, within policy even for closed characters, but the open flag indicates you can get there as fast as possible. For guarded you'd need a bit of foreplay, and closed quite a bit of a courtship. I think many people on the other side don't want to invest the effort in the RP and are used to the "wham-bamn." This, as with all of life's interactions, is a difference of perspective.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 09:33 PM CDT
>I agree, but it also doesn't mean you're immune to it if you're being an idiot. Or safe from PvP 100% no matter what.

Stop being obtuse. Re - read the thread if you want to participate and have people take you seriously.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 09:40 PM CDT
When profiles first came out, I was playing a rather obnoxious empath and was PvP Open until Nefidyne and Tenion killed me about 10 times in 3 days without any RP, gweth, talk, or otherwise. I went PvP Guarded and the next time Nefidyne came after me, I whispered to him "OOC: I went PvP Guarded and will consider further combat actions against me as harassment" He took a moment (I'm assuming to verify my updated profile settings), nodded and left me alone. I no longer play that character, but I play one somewhat similar. I hadn't set a profile at all, and Crupikte whispered to me a few months ago that if I was going to play that way, I should probably be PvP Open. I've been Open since that time and have had lots of great RP and haven't been randomly killed as yet. I've enjoyed it, and I think those I've RP'd with have enjoyed the freedom as well. I don't think I'll ever go back to Guarded at this point.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 10:12 PM CDT

"The only way to resolve this and end this conversation once and for all is to get rid of Guarded all together."

Resolve what?

Rather than rage about that claim I will once again(we go through this what ever 2 years?) my position with Flavius.

Most of you know Flavius at least slightly. Been around forever- doesn't tend to incite crap, but usually up for a fun argument. Flavius is Guarded- and I have absolutely no interest in any other status. Guarded suits Flavius to a tea.

Someone want to assume that Flavius is Closed because he is Guarded- fine with me. I don't need to RP with that person- I am up for it- but its not necessary.

I have minimal interest in PvP- rarely get involved in it- but when I have, I have taken my lumps without complaint. When I get involved.

Here is the thing about how I play- I never check to see whether a character is Open/Guarded/Closed. I really don't care. If someone is being enough of a jerk to Flavius so I finally get fed up and get physically involved- I don't care what status he is. I just don't care.

Don't like me being Guarded- ignore me, avoid me- I don't care.

But if you want to have share some fun with Flavius- I am up with that.

If you are in doubt- then don't take the risk- I don't care.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 10:26 PM CDT
Just had a row with the Arkarm clan.

I would encourage people to join in the next 'witch hunt' even if you're only an observer. You can learn a lot about 'polite' pvp practices.

Everyone knows the score with people you've fought before. It's not like I'm all the sudden going to jump up in skill and tip the scales in that battle. I fight at the level I fight at, sometimes I get lucky and kill a few people, sometimes Uritel throws me into an abyss of glitchdom that a GM has to rescue me from.

To WATCH the fight you would swear that all the participants hate each other. There's name calling, threats, demands made etc. That said...if you know what to look for you can see it's all pretty civil too.

No one wants anyone else to come out of that with a bad taste in their mouth...if it wasn't fun then the whole show comes to a screeching halt. There's no double tapping going on, no OOC snarky comments made. Half the people involved are in overlapping chat rooms yelling "Aw you got me!" or "Hey, grab my weapon pls." No one's getting RL angry because their 'mary sue' got a little pummeled. EVERYTHING that happened was enjoyable aside from the glitch issue.

To me this is the sterling example of what PVP should be. People telling a story with characters play by people that could easily be their friends RL. If that sounds a little koombayaa, meh.

I didn't even check to see who was open or not. Didn't matter. I had one character get ambushed because she walked in with the 'good guys' and one guy that didn't get a scratch on him because he was pounding tequila and sitting down.

I remain convinced that the problem is at a player level. Specifically with people taking it personally.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 10:30 PM CDT
>>You can learn a lot about 'polite' pvp practices.

The issue isn't the people who are polite in pvp.

It's the one idiot you encounter that just decides to wipe your EXP pool for no real reason and make you waste your time getting favors/refilling pools/etc.

I just never had the inclination for dealing with that. At the same time, I was comfortable taking my lumps if I had to. I just wanted some kind of reason behind it.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/12/2014 10:40 PM CDT
<<I remain convinced that the problem is at a player level. Specifically with people taking it personally.

QFT

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 04:10 AM CDT
<<I remain convinced that the problem is at a player level. Specifically with people taking it personally.

This. When I first came back to DR a couple years ago I was in Crossing, had no idea who was big who wasn't, didn't matter. The whole "guarded/closed/open" crap was all new to me and I've never been big on pvp (because I suck). Well, there was a pally (that will remain nameless) that was just running his mouth constantly, so we get into a fight. I kill him, he comes back, starts running his mouth off even more. Things escalate again and he dies again. He assumed my barb was 150+ when in reality I was 112th, he was mid 90's (I forget the exact at this point), but he kept whispering with such anger and said that as soon as I went to Riss/Kresh to resume training he was going to kill me as much as possible with his big 150+ character. Of course it never happened, haven't seen that name running around at all even, but crap like that is why people want to go guarded.

Now, on the flip side, same time frame, I had no idea who Raikage was. He stole from me, wearing all his armor and stuff so he'd get caught, and instead of it just being a brawl to the death with me getting rolled over and over again, we challenged (his idea even, think he didn't wanna see some shmuck lose favors). Of course he one shot me with throwing blades but that was the end of it, he even dragged me into the auto empath. And that's how it should be but like the quote above, people take it personally and then have to get their big toons or gang or whatever have you and make things a huge mess. If it was always how Raik handled the business (good form and to the point without needless griefing) I think more people wouldn't "hide" behind the guarded stance. And to the people that are worried about griefing, my barb has been open for quite a while and I haven't had a single fight, I really feel like the current crop of peeps that enjoy pvp are good natured enough to not just go around trying to slam your face just because you're open.

Anywho, that's my pointless drivel from my very limited pvp interactions at 5am after my 12 hour shift. Hopefully it made sense though I don't really know what point I was trying to make. Oh! Yeah, get rid of guarded, make things simple, open or closed. Clear cut, no gray area, no question.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 07:39 AM CDT

Certainly true, policy is the enabler though. Just like guns don't kill people, people kill people. The policy stances around guarded aren't an issue for everyone, like Flavius and a few others in this thread that act appropriately while being guarded, it's those that use it.

But basically I think the point people are trying to make is that 'open' isn't a death sentence anymore. For example Flavius, you could switch to open, and I guarantee you that you would see absolutely no difference in your gameplay. You just wouldn't.

The only thing removing the guarded stance would do, at this point in DR history, is take away policy player's power. That's pretty much it.

So let's say guarded is removed and all the policy type players switch to closed, which I believe is expected. The current policy says closed can still escalate to PvP, so essentially it would become the new guarded. However, there is one thing that will be different and I'll steal it from someone else's post where they quoted GM Zeyurn.

"First strike while Closed will definitely set you to Guarded, multiple first strikes while Guarded in a TBD period of time will set you Open." --DR-Zeyurn (07/02/2010)"

This. Since there is no guarded, first strike would switch you to open instead.

I never knew the above existed though, what rules apply to "multiple first strikes while Guarded in a TBD period of time will set you Open"? Has anyone seen this work?

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 08:49 AM CDT

<<If you don't want to PvP, stay closed.>>
Some people would prefer to just fight critters, not other players. Unfortunately, those who play necromancers are set to "guarded" automatically, and do not even have the option of playing as "closed".

Now, this does not mean said character should not be able to fight against invasion / npc characters. It can just means they don't want to play the game of "who has more bits in TM/HE".

Ones ability to RP or not is not determined by ones "open/closed" status, either. Too many people in both camps attribute one to the other.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 08:53 AM CDT
That's the biggest problem and I think a lot of the complains people have over Guarded. You can claim you enjoy PvP, don't want to be ganked in hunting, but if you provide some RP behind it you can attack my character and I won't report mentality.

That's a big leap of faith though. Some guarded players, especially the ones that have no issues using report, are one bad day away from hitting that button if their text dies, even if the scenario was Role Played out. If there's not iron clad consent, and specific steps taken every time a player engages in potential PvP against a Guarded character, you run the risk of a warning. So how do you differentiate between the people that are actually telling the truth, and the people that will bait out an attack just to get someone in trouble? Also, whats to stop someone from having told the truth and they follow a true guarded stance, but decide they don't like a particular player and report them anyway?

I am in favor of removing guarded completely and keeping Closed/Open with the caveat that if a Closed attacks another character, they're set to Open for a certain amount of time. If it becomes a repeated offense, the amount of time continues to increase.

Being Guarded doesn't mean I get to walk into a room with 10 players, kill a person in front of everyone, than have immunity from the rest of the people in the room even though they just watched you murder their Best friend, Brother, Mother, Nephew, whomever. That's currently what Guarded allows you to do.

You either embrace PvP, or you don't want anything to do with it. Not this, I only want to PvP when it's on my terms, when I know I can win, when I'm all ready, when there's nobody else to retaliate against me, when I have all my of spells/forms/khri up, all my experience is drained. If I'm escalating conflict, or RPing. You can't choose to act like a tough guy to people you know you can beat and attack them, than act like a tough guy to other characters but hide behind a stance. It just doesn't cut it, and a guarded profile enables this.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 09:17 AM CDT
>>I never knew the above existed though, what rules apply to "multiple first strikes while Guarded in a TBD period of time will set you Open"? Has anyone seen this work?

I don't think it was actually enabled. AFAIK, when it comes to PvP a GM as to set someone open if they're acting in an open manner. It isn't set up to work like stealing and being a accused of necromancy just yet.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 09:25 AM CDT

>>>> CLERIXHAX: Being Guarded doesn't mean I get to walk into a room with 10 players, kill a person in front of everyone, than have immunity from the rest of the people in the room even though they just watched you murder their Best friend, Brother, Mother, Nephew, whomever. That's currently what Guarded allows you to do.

If I have been following correctly someone who is closed could also do the same thing. If you remove the guarded option closed will become the new guarded and some players will still play policy and just be wearing a closed tag. The funny thing about this thread is that I played in the late 90's and stopped playing DR before this system was released. These same complaints and issues existed back then. It seems the only thing that has changed is now we have open players who are free to attack each other without worrying about policy, which is a good thing for everyone.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 09:29 AM CDT
>If I have been following correctly someone who is closed could also do the same thing. If you remove the guarded option closed will become the new guarded and some players will still play policy and just be wearing a closed tag. The funny thing about this thread is that I played in the late 90's and stopped playing DR before this system was released. These same complaints and issues existed back then. It seems the only thing that has changed is now we have open players who are free to attack each other without worrying about policy, which is a good thing for everyone.

However; if your character is set to a Closed status you're indicating you don't want anything to do with PvP at all. You want to avoid it at all costs, if a Closed player were to do this, and the Open player Reported him the GM's could request the Closed player to change their profile stance and/or possibly switch them to Open. This isn't the case for a Guarded player, they will remain Guarded.

Also, if Guarded were to be removed and a system were implemented that automatically changed a Closed to Open for 2-4 (arbitrary number) hours on their first offense it would be a moot case, and they wouldn't be hiding behind policy (at least as easily as they can now Guarded.)
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 10:21 AM CDT

Hmm.. probably beating a dead horse here, but remind me why the attack mechanic is different from the stealing mechanic? If you steal from someone you're locked open to PVP for.. 24 or 48 hours? Why does attacking not do the same thing? If it's for spars, then make it so you don't get locked open if you're in a challenge with someone.

This'll solve at least part of the issue - people being guarded and attacking people that are open, and then reporting others when they get attacked back for their actions.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 10:30 AM CDT
>Hmm.. probably beating a dead horse here, but remind me why the attack mechanic is different from the stealing mechanic?

Player A attacks player B with a weak character, player B hits back. Player B is now open - player A brings in a higher character and proceeds to kill B. Grief ensues.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 10:30 AM CDT
>>However; if your character is set to a Closed status you're indicating you don't want anything to do with PvP at all.

Or you're just too lazy to change the default character profile. Or you're still going to play policy and it will still be up to a GM to decide if someone closed could try to stab a Necromancer stomping about town despite being closed etc etc etc.

>>if a Closed player were to do this, and the Open player Reported him the GM's could request the Closed player to change their profile stance and/or possibly switch them to Open. This isn't the case for a Guarded player, they will remain Guarded.

This isn't true at all. A GM can set someone from Guarded to Open based on their actions just like they could set someone from Closed to Open.

>>Hmm.. probably beating a dead horse here, but remind me why the attack mechanic is different from the stealing mechanic? If you steal from someone you're locked open to PVP for.. 24 or 48 hours? Why does attacking not do the same thing?

Because of the number of judgment calls going on that would indicate if you're actually interested in PvP or not.

If someone steals from you, and you try to shoot them (striking first, even), does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

If someone attacks you, and you attack back, does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

If someone's aiming a weapon at you, and you strike first to beat them to the punch, does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

If someone's slapping your character over and over, and you attack back, does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

etc etc etc.

There will always be people playing policy and using closed/guarded as a defense just like there will always be people being obnoxious and deciding that PvP Open means they can shoot you despite being 100 circles+ while you're picking your nose in rock trolls.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 10:50 AM CDT

>>Player A attacks player B with a weak character, player B hits back. Player B is now open - player A brings in a higher character and proceeds to kill B. Grief ensues.

I'm not seeing where that is a bad thing. It's part of weighing the consequences when you decide to retaliate. Guarded people do that as it is, attacking an open character because their alt had an issue with them. Then reporting when they get smacked back. We're just trying to eliminate the "report" option here because the player is hiding.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 10:58 AM CDT
>Or you're just too lazy to change the default character profile. Or you're still going to play policy and it will still be up to a GM to decide if someone closed could try to stab a Necromancer stomping about town despite being closed etc etc etc.

If you're too lazy to change it from Closed to Open, as soon as you engage in PvP it'll change it for you. If a Closed is stomping Necromancers in town they're not really Closed. Closed is pretty cut and dry, not sure what you're having issues seeing. If someone is saying they are Closed to PvP it means they don't want to PvP, at all. If someone is truly a Closed status, they won't being stomping any Necromancers. If they're not really Closed, when they attack they'd be changed to Open for PvP.

>This isn't true at all. A GM can set someone from Guarded to Open based on their actions just like they could set someone from Closed to Open.

Sure it is, a Guarded player can get into a conflict with an Open player and kill them in front of their entire family, and report anyone else who seeks Retaliation. A guarded player can go into a hunting ground and kill an Open, that won't change the Guarded individual's status unless it's being abused heavily and a GM decides to lock it open. Currently, a Guarded character is well within their rights to attack an Open player for whatever reason they want, while at the same time not wanting to participate in other fights if they don't want to.

>If someone's slapping your character over and over, and you attack back, does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

>etc etc etc.

>There will always be people playing policy and using closed/guarded as a defense just like there will always be people being obnoxious and deciding that PvP Open means they can shoot you despite being 100 circles+ while you're picking your nose in rock trolls.

There will be, and right now there's a system in place which makes it easier to do this. The removal of a PvP Status will help reduce this.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 11:19 AM CDT

>>If someone steals from you, and you try to shoot them (striking first, even), does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

Stealing could be set to be considered a first strike just like a first strike attack. In any course, the stealer is already set to open and you can do anything to them, even get revenge through

>>If someone attacks you, and you attack back, does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

No, 1st strike was from your attacker and the attacker is set open, you have consent.

>>If someone's aiming a weapon at you, and you strike first to beat them to the punch, does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

Aiming could be considered a first strike just like stealing. No, I don't think that is too harsh on the person Aiming, that is their choice and aiming to me is an act of violence.

>>If someone's slapping your character over and over, and you attack back, does that mean you're open to all PvP ever?

This is the only one that may end up as questionable since slapping is just humiliation and doesn't lead to immediate physical violence. (Funny IRL it would be consent though so on those grounds I could see kicking punching slapping etc setting someone open)

The ISSUE is that policy needs to be rewritten into something that is black and white and not gray.

Codiax.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 12:03 PM CDT
>>>> CLERIXHAX: If someone is saying they are Closed to PvP it means they don't want to PvP, at all.

Unfortunately your opinion differs from policy on the matter. Closed and guarded basically limit participation in PvP in exactly the same way.

>>>> CLERIXHAX: Sure it is, a Guarded player can get into a conflict with an Open player and kill them in front of their entire family, and report anyone else who seeks Retaliation. A guarded player can go into a hunting ground and kill an Open, that won't change the Guarded individual's status unless it's being abused heavily and a GM decides to lock it open. Currently, a Guarded character is well within their rights to attack an Open player for whatever reason they want, while at the same time not wanting to participate in other fights if they don't want to.

I think we have finally come to the real heart of the issue. Getting rid of guarded status is one way to deal with it, you are right. This may or may not fix the problem you are having but it does remove a valid option from the majority of players that are guarded. It seems to me that the GM proposed solution of setting people to open when they strike first, aim, target, slap or whatever else you want to add (similar to the stealing or accuse necromancy mechanics) would actually solve your problem regardless of wether guarded exists or not.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 12:10 PM CDT
The distinction between stealing and killing is pretty wide. Oddly enough, stealing is not socially acceptable in any situation. Much like necromancers. They're not socially acceptable.

Killing is, on occasion, socially acceptable and even sometimes a measured and appropriate response. I can understand being locked open for the first two things. EVERYONE hates you when you do those things. Killing is a bit more ambiguous though and thus the trouble with it as usually it's completely different case by case.

>>I'm not seeing where that is a bad thing. It's part of weighing the consequences when you decide to retaliate. Guarded people do that as it is, attacking an open character because their alt had an issue with them. Then reporting when they get smacked back. We're just trying to eliminate the "report" option here because the player is hiding.

"He did it! Why can't I!?" Is THE prevailing reason we're having a problem with this.

A little RL scenario for you that most of you are familiar with on one side of the coin.

So Empath A doesn't want Empath B to heal someone. Empath B ignores/doesn't hear Empath A. Empath A sleeps/messes with and otherwise annoys Empath B.

Empath B grabs ALT and kills Empath A with it. Empath A is open. She poked around, she got her hand slappep by ALT (who is guarded) and has a few friends come pay ALT a visit. Now ALT gets killed by someone completely out of the loop of the encounter.

I explained to ALT that Empath A and friends did exactly the SAME thing that he/she did.

No one is questioning what Empath B and ALT did is RP friendly. It was just killing someone because the situation was taken personally.

That said. Empath A IS open pvp and took the reprisal personally as well (if not their death than their inability to effect ALT in the same manner in which they effected her...I.E.-killdeathrawr).

Neither side handled this with grace. Empath A should have taken personal responsibility for their OWN CHARACTER and not sought outside help in the form of insta-death. RP it up, sure. Threaten, cajole, trick into...but never just "BAM! HaHa, that'll teach you to mess with me and my group of awesome!" It's lame. There's no other way to say that. Lame lame lame. I love the 'group' dynamic as an RP device but it needs to be tempered with some self restraint.

Now, because ALT's mindframe was relatively known (angry), this was seen as a personal attack. You messed with me, I have a character that can kill yours, I mess with you now.

As will most pvp conflicts gone sour, this was handled poorly at both ends, particularly by senior characters that should know better by now and play very PVP friendly toons.

The only distinction between the two (they did the exact same thing) is that Empath A said (with their pvp stance), "That's ok if you grab your alt and blast me one, I'm up for it, it's all in good fun." When they really thought, "It's ok if you grab an alt and kill me, because I'm just bait and you'll die a lot more than I will." And that's just not the way to do business.

Take PERSONAL responsibility for your characters. That's good advice for EVERYONE down the line. If your empath opens their mouth and gets it slapped shut, well RP them as a mouthy masochist or next time maybe just shut them up.

If you want to RP a group dynamic that all looks out for eachother...do it with a little class. Drag away wounded people, heal them, give them buffs. Don't be their bully.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 12:14 PM CDT
Those assertions are based on dealing with 'guarded' people that don't want to fight 18 people at a time. Double post but I wanted to clarify that.

If ALT had been open, then the response they had used was appropriate.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 12:28 PM CDT

>>"Take PERSONAL responsibility for your characters."

I agree with everything you said above relating to this. However, one thing to note..

Empath A did take personal responsibility for her actions. However, when people die, especially when it's someone of Empath A's stature, they're usually asked WHY they died. Empath A didn't go and say "hey go kill xyz", she said "I died because of this." She didn't whine, she didn't cry, and she didn't handle it poorly. Empath B/ALT were used as a tagteam of MECH abuse, then when they were attacked because ALT is fine to attack someone lower than them (especially an empath), but is happy to report when they get curbstomped. So it's like "Hey I'm fine using my ALT to curbstomp someone that my empath had an issue with, but when I get curbstomped.. OMG!!!11 REPORTZ!1!"

Use of guarded = lame, and should drop people down to PVP OPEN when they decide to engage in non-challenge pvp.

It's great that it's "socially acceptable" to kill someone, but that does not mean that the person should be able to kill someone, socially acceptable or not, "RP" out the death, then be able to go hide in guarded and report when the "RP" doesn't go the way you had hoped. I.E. - no auto win button available.

As far as harassment/griefing, then fine.. there can be cases where THAT can be reported WHILE you're open. But an occasional death? Usually for RP reasons? C'mon. Not that hard to find an empath/cleric or depart (especially with depart FULL) and be back to what you were doing in a reasonable amount of time.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 12:30 PM CDT
>>I'm not seeing where that is a bad thing. It's part of weighing the consequences when you decide to retaliate.

Because sometimes you might not want to theoretically PvP the entirety of DR's population. If someone's starting a fight with you, you might just want to fight that person back, not that person, his alt, three friends of his if that doesn't work out in his favor either, etc.

>>Then reporting when they get smacked back. We're just trying to eliminate the "report" option here because the player is hiding.

Each time a situation like this gets brought up, the issue seems less about guarded and more about specific situations where someone uses guarded like they would have used report in the past.

Just to now place two players comments off each other:

Codaix: "The stealer is already set to open and you can do anything to them, even get revenge through."
Clerixhax: "If a Closed is stomping Necromancers in town they're not really Closed. Closed is pretty cut and dry, not sure what you're having issues seeing."

So clearly things are not cut and dry.

>>The ISSUE is that policy needs to be rewritten into something that is black and white and not gray.

The issue is that you're always going to have annoying players who are annoying through policy just like you're always going to have annoying players who are annoying through pvp just like you're always going to have annoying players who are annoying through graverobbing just like you're always going to have annoying players who are annoying through spamming the gweths just like etc etc etc.

No amount of rule changing or policy adjusting is going to stop annoying people from being annoying. Blaming the guarded stance is not going to make annoying people less annoying nor will it make the people who play policy when they inject themselves into conflicts play policy any less than normal.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 12:41 PM CDT
>Unfortunately your opinion differs from policy on the matter. Closed and guarded basically limit participation in PvP in exactly the same way.

That's not my opinion, that's responses from help and from staff that I've encountered. via profile help pvp CLOSED - This setting indicates that you prefer to do everything you can to avoid PVP.

Another example was when I originally came back to DR after an extremely long time away. I came back with a brand new character, and was going through a conflict with another character. My status was set to Closed because I was unaware of the new changes after returning. The conflict had someone come into my area while I was hunting and attempt to attack me. My response was killing the individual and letting them know if they attempted to disrupt my hunting again I would make it extremely unpleasant for them going forward.

I received a SEND from a GM letting me know that wasn't the behavior of a Closed character, and if I were to continue to Roleplay that way I would need to change my status to Open.

>Each time a situation like this gets brought up, the issue seems less about guarded and more about specific situations where someone uses guarded like they would have used report in the past.

>Just to now place two players comments off each other:

>Codaix: "The stealer is already set to open and you can do anything to them, even get revenge through."
>Clerixhax: "If a Closed is stomping Necromancers in town they're not really Closed. Closed is pretty cut and dry, not sure what you're having issues seeing."

My statement was in response to one of yours not a specific situation. You're using my comment to twist the argument to be in your favor. You're not including or quoting the entire context of the post along with the entire thread. You're pretty good with your straw man arguments.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:03 PM CDT
>>This setting indicates that you prefer to do everything you can to avoid PVP.

Person A, who is Open starts stealing from person B, who is closed.
Person B can attack person A.
Person B did everything possible to avoid PvP, but sadly PvP happened anyway, what with person A stealing and stealing counting as PvP.

>>The conflict had someone come into my area while I was hunting and attempt to attack me. My response was killing the individual and letting them know if they attempted to disrupt my hunting again I would make it extremely unpleasant for them going forward.

>>I received a SEND from a GM letting me know that wasn't the behavior of a Closed character, and if I were to continue to Roleplay that way I would need to change my status to Open.

That sounds... bizarre since according to your telling of what happened, the person attacking you was in the wrong. I'm rather amazed that a GM told you that threatening someone attacking you out of the blue while you are closed means you're the one acting inappropriately.

>>You're using my comment to twist the argument to be in your favor. You're not including or quoting the entire context of the post along with the entire thread.

I'm pointing out that what you see as clear cut isn't clear cut. Even from your new example, I find it rather questionable that a GM would tell you that you're not allowed to defend yourself against someone attacking you, or that you're not allowed to threaten to make their lives miserable if they keep attacking you, because your stance is closed.

Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:06 PM CDT
>>Just to now place two players comments off each other

>>>Codaix: "The stealer is already set to open and you can do anything to them, even get revenge through."
>>Clerixhax: "If a Closed is stomping Necromancers in town they're not really Closed. Closed is pretty cut and dry, not sure what you're having issues seeing."

I don't get the point here?

Spelling out my statement a bit more I meant:

[if someone steals from you], The stealer is [automatically] already set to open and you can do anything to [retaliate against] them.

That's current policy and not sure what it has to do with stomping necros while closed?

GNIKOLEYCHUK>>seems to me that the GM proposed solution of setting people to open when they strike first, aim, target, slap or whatever else you want to add (similar to the stealing or accuse necromancy mechanics) would actually solve your problem regardless of wether guarded exists or not.

That would definitely be a step in the right direction for sure, but that GM statement was from 2010 so it's either been forgotten, denied, or never going to happen unless someone picks it back up. But that's what this discussion is about too, what are the possibilities and can we do at least 'something' better than the current setup.

Codiax.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:11 PM CDT
>>>> I received a SEND from a GM letting me know that wasn't the behavior of a Closed character, and if I were to continue to Roleplay that way I would need to change my status to Open.

You know, back in the 90's era I watched someone graverob an item. I helped track them down with a locate and watched a trader kill them (yes, it was amusing). In the meantime they had handed the item off to an alt so we couldn't recover it. The trader and I stood by and made sure all passers by knew what he did so that no one would resurrect him until he gave the item back. I received a warning for my behaviour, likely because of the way the graverobber phrased the report (maybe saying I was threatening people or something).

My point is that if the GM wasn't told the whole story their response might not make sense when reconciled with the truth.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:29 PM CDT
>>Empath B/ALT were used as a tagteam of MECH abuse, then when they were attacked because ALT is fine to attack someone lower than them (especially an empath), but is happy to report when they get curbstomped. So it's like "Hey I'm fine using my ALT to curbstomp someone that my empath had an issue with, but when I get curbstomped.. OMG!!!11 REPORTZ!1!"

And all of this was decided because people took it personally (I think because they assumed they knew the mindstate of Empath B/Alt). Is it mech abuse for someone to just come off the street and just whack Empath A for NO REASON WHATSOEVER?

Absolutely not. That's what PVP open is. It was taken as a PERSONAL attack because Empath A initiated a negative contact and ALT finished it. Empath A took it personally because there was a REASON for the killing that didn't seem RP'd enough to them. I don't need to explain to people that expecting someone to RP in a way that's conducive to you is a good way to be disappointed a lot.

I'm trying to show you that no matter WHAT Empath B/ALT did, it was still in the realm of OK for PVP open. Everything that Empath A/friends did in retaliation for it was NOT ok in regard to PVP guarded.

By going open you signify that if you draw attention to yourself in a negative light...yeah, someone's probably going to 'hire' someone to kill you for it. Move past it.

It's ok to lose some, guys. You know this.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:29 PM CDT
>That sounds... bizarre since according to your telling of what happened, the person attacking you was in the wrong. I'm rather amazed that a GM told you that threatening someone attacking you out of the blue while you are closed means you're the one acting inappropriately.

>I'm pointing out that what you see as clear cut isn't clear cut. Even from your new example, I find it rather questionable that a GM would tell you that you're not allowed to defend yourself against someone attacking you, or that you're not allowed to threaten to make their lives miserable if they keep attacking you, because your stance is closed.

The person attacking wasn't in the wrong, we were in the middle of a conflict and he had proper consent. However; the act of me threatening to make their lives miserable if I was attacked while I was hunting was definitely appropriate considering my PvP Stance at that time. Being Closed, like I've stated now multiple times, is showing everyone that that you wish to avoid PvP at all costs, and you're going to do whatever you can to avoid it. Threatening to make someone's life miserable is the exact opposite of what Closed represents. I'm sorry you're unable to see this, I don't know how many more times I can spell this out for you, some people have a challenging time with comprehension and understanding. We can keep having this circular discussion if it will help you better understand.

>My point is that if the GM wasn't told the whole story their response might not make sense when reconciled with the truth.

That ruling does make sense, because of the definition of what PvP Closed is.

PvP Closed - Does everything they can to avoid PvP
PvP Guarded - You accept PvP Conflicts as long as they're aware, and know exactly how it's going to play out.
PvP Open - You accept PvP Conflicts at any time or place regardless of if you know it's coming.

If I was Guarded, and that same person attacked me in my hunting area, I would be well within my PvP Status' right to tell them I'd make their life miserable. However; due to policy playing. I could make said person's life miserable if he were OPEN, and if he was unable to do anything about it, he couldn't seek help from any other friend/family member if I didn't want them involved.

A Closed player could attempt this, but they wouldn't be Closed anymore.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:34 PM CDT
it's somewhat funny that stealing from a player sets you open for a few hours, but no other crimes against a player will (murder, attempted murder, etc.). I think initiating any type of PVP should lock the character to open for a few hours.
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:36 PM CDT

>>it's somewhat funny that stealing from a player sets you open for a few hours, but no other crimes against a player will (murder, attempted murder, etc.). I think initiating any type of PVP should lock the character to open for a few hours.

Asked and answered, scroll up
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:39 PM CDT
>>No one is questioning what Empath B and ALT did is RP friendly. It was just killing someone because the situation was taken personally.

Actually that's called mech abuse, try again.

- Erixx
Re: Open Closed Guarded 03/13/2014 01:44 PM CDT
>>If you want to RP a group dynamic that all looks out for eachother...do it with a little class. Drag away wounded people, heal them, give >>them buffs. Don't be their bully.

Someone using clear mech abuse is not going be handled by RP. It's being a bully pulling off someone who clearly out ranks the other person when that person had 0 reason to be involved in the conflict in the first place?

That's how guarded works. Do what you want when you want and if you get called out on it, report.

Sadly, the GM's tend to encourage this type of behavior.

- Erixx
Re: Open Closed Guarded ::Nudge:: 03/13/2014 01:45 PM CDT

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Kindly address the points of a post and not the other posters.

Bickering here will end up with the thread shut down because you (general you) don't respect someone else's decision to post and you (general you) are taking comments (probably not even directed at you! (general you)) too personally.

See how that works?

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.