Prev_page Previous 1
Mentor events policy and conflict 04/15/2016 10:04 PM CDT
I understand that it is mentor event policy that anyone can attend as long as they are not being disruptive. That is fine and all but if a mentor event is going to be based on a holy holiday, Jeraya Blufandu, I would expect necromancers would not be welcome to attend this event. These are supposed to be IC events and when Necromancers are allowed to attend and participate, it is extremely disturbing to the RP setting of the event. I ask that if the policy cannot be changed in circumstances like that, then please do not base mentor events on any type of holy lore since this will lead to IC conflict and I believe this is not the goal of mentor events.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/15/2016 10:41 PM CDT

Couldn't this be solved in an IC way? I mean, wouldn't some necromancers be attracted to holy holidays for their own purposes (assuming something didn't happen that was OOC - I wasn't there. I really don't know).
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/15/2016 10:45 PM CDT
>> I mean, wouldn't some necromancers be attracted to holy holidays for their own purposes

Why would that translate to non-Necromancers, especially Paladins and Clerics, tolerating them?

>> Couldn't this be solved in an IC way?

I think that was attempted, and the OOC response was that anyone can attend Mentor events now and that it was inappropriate to attempt to respond ICly in a negative way to a Necromancer attending.

I disagree with this, but I also don't think it'll be fruitful to hash out specifics of the situation on the forums.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/15/2016 11:21 PM CDT

> Why would that translate to non-Necromancers, especially Paladins and Clerics, tolerating them?

I wasn't implying that they would be tolerated. I'm simply saying that it makes IC sense for them to be there.

> that it was inappropriate to attempt to respond ICly in a negative way to a Necromancer attending.

Ah. Yeah, that's sticky. Maybe mentor events should avoid religious activity?
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/15/2016 11:29 PM CDT
While I can understand the viewpoint, let's also remember how few events necromancer characters ARE allowed to attend. We need to OOCly understand that everyone has a right to enjoy this game and find logical RP to work around it. Why can't the IC response be, 'How dare you be here! I'm going to join and do my best to make SURE you don't win! Boo hiss!" Instead of complaining about rules and making a ruckus about it? Then you have more RP fodder you can use later after the event while you won't be interrupting something that people put time and effort into planning so that EVERYONE can enjoy an opportunity to RP.

Or at least that's my two cents.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/15/2016 11:52 PM CDT
Sounds like a great opportunity for a Mentor Maelshyvean worship tour for religiously inclined necromancers. You can hit up the abyss, her fortress, Hodierna's Solace, the Zaulfung stones and the warrior mage guild.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 12:00 AM CDT
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

Also I don't think the answer is reducing Necromancers to the level of seriousness as, say, a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain. Which is basically what that is.

Honestly, this is why I just abstain from attending events anymore on that character. I don't want to ask anyone to compromise their RP by not making a scene and disrupting an event someone else spent a lot of time on, and that's as a Necromancer that's relatively low-key. Yes, that means I miss out on a lot, but that's the cost sometimes, and it's also part of what motivated me to push for more regular Necromancer gatherings.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 12:02 AM CDT
So, my Paladin went to an event to celebrate a holy holiday. A necromancer showed up that he has had past dealings with and now knows that it only understands violence. RP ensued. I OOCly understand there is a player behind the necro, but I also understand that the player chose to be in a guild that is supposed to be shunned by society. It is not in my Paladin's nature to boo and hiss a necromancer during a 'friendly' competition, being all polite and sociable about its presence. He is not always violent toward them since there is no way to be completely rid of them, but he is not averse to it. The ruckus he caused and complaint about the rules was entirely IC and I do understand event disruptions having run many in the past. I have had events disrupted and even ended due to PC RP or even a GM events. The disruption lasted a few minutes and did not completely destroy the event. My character left in disgust and found other things to do. That is what happened in a nutshell.

I know it is a mentor rule, but it is a rule that goes against the supposed RP of necromancers in the lands. We are supposed to RP, but suspend that RP at a celebration of a Chadatru holiday? Be all huggly snuggly and accepting the presence of something like that? My Paladin cannot be apathetic to that. So if my Paladin goes to one of these events, expect some RP if a necromancer or some other undesirable shows up.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 12:57 AM CDT
Mistanna, don't take this the wrong way because I've greatly enjoyed your presence in game.

However, I find it more disruptive to my immersion when Necromancers are accepted openly to public events. On top of that, I find it to be opening yourself up to have the course of the event rightfully disrupted by people who RP no tolerance to Necromancy(something that should be more of a standard than it is).

Necromancers are pariahs. They can be vocal and played well, but openly enjoying festivities with people. No. I'm not in agreement there.

>>Honestly, this is why I just abstain from attending events anymore on that character. I don't want to ask anyone to compromise their RP by not making a scene and disrupting an event someone else spent a lot of time on, and that's as a Necromancer that's relatively low-key. Yes, that means I miss out on a lot, but that's the cost sometimes, and it's also part of what motivated me to push for more regular Necromancer gatherings.

This.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 02:02 AM CDT
I was at a different event at the time this happened, but IMO it's either a roleplaying event or it's not. Having RP events with the Mentors where Necromancers are allowed opens up all sorts of doors. Do we then regard the Mentors ICly as tolerant of Necromancy? The mentor characters running the events? That may force the players of various mentor characters into awkward positions.

But here's the thing. If you tell me it's a roleplaying event, I'm going to roleplay. This may mean a conflict with Necromancers. That may mean other people are pro-Necro. Necromancers are a BIG part of the ongoing lore and conflict within the game. If it's an event where only certain types of roleplay are tolerated, especially if there are going to be OOC consequences for interfering with a Mentor event, you kind of need to warn me ahead of time so I just don't bring my character. Because I'm perfectly fine making sure my roleplay isn't disruptive to an event too. But it needs to be clear.

Now, I'm also fine with certain things being considered OOC. The Wyvern Trials for one. The Duskruin wasn't explicitly stated as being OOC, but I chose to have my character be looking the other way when Necromancer characters were in the arena. It's not very fair otherwise. I'm also perfectly fine with learning OOC that a certain event would not be a good one to bring my character to, similar to what Thayet stated.

My suggestion would be to keep mentor events OOC - like the Wyvern Trials. It just works out better that way, IMO, unless you're planning on having every mentor PC be Necro-tolerant IC, and having the it be an issue with the Zoluren government about it... But that all just seems unnecessary. As I understood it, the IC portion of the Mentors is just a thin veil to cover the primarily OOC thing that they do. Having events with this weird mix of IC and OOC is just inviting trouble. The other alternative would be to make the mentors IC, but not involve Necromancers.

- Saragos
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 05:37 AM CDT
>>Wyvern Trials

These are not OOC.

-Persida
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 06:06 AM CDT

Since this keeps coming up. Here is the original post from the Wyvern Trials folder concerning Necromancers. Could one of you lovely epedia folks toss this up on the Wyvern page? Thanks!

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Events%20and%20Happenings%20in%20DragonRealms'%20Elanthia/The%20Wyvern%20Trials%20/view/15

-Team Wyvern
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 06:35 AM CDT
I agree with a lot of what's been said. Necromancers are supposed to be universally reviled and feared. Forcing people to play nice with them at public events flies directly in the face of the established canon and only exacerbates the growing apathy toward Necromancers. If this was a shady, unofficial sparring event then I could understand. But how else can the characters in this world see Necromancers being tolerated by Mentors and then not assume that Mentors are okay with Necromancy?

I did not take my character to either this event or the archery tournament because I knew there was a Necro present, and there is no way in hell she would pretend it doesn't exist. The current atmosphere of these events then seems to be in favor of welcoming Necromancers - any Necromancer, regardless of social outage - while encouraging those with completely understandable IC issues with Necromancers to not attend. In terms of the lore, that's just topsy-turvy and even more perplexing considering the religious connections to Blufandu in this case. Proudly perverse Necros in particular should not be allowed to just turn around and be accepted into polite society.

There should be more outlets for Necros to participate in events, but this is just not the right way to handle it. Necromancers, and the threat they pose, should be taken more seriously than a friendly, competitive rivalry.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 07:17 AM CDT
After a little bit of sleep, I want to clarify something. This is not an issue I have with the players who volunteer to be mentors (something I won't do). This policy puts THEM in a position where they have to set aside their RP (some are good at it) to do something fun for others and still be a part of the time consuming mentoring and teaching they do for the community. This is not really their fault at all.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 11:07 AM CDT
While I think the rule of "no drama" works for mentor events as a whole, if the Necromancer Guild is an "advanced" guild, I think a resonable argument can be made that they've graduated well-past mentor events.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 11:52 AM CDT
>>While I think the rule of "no drama" works for mentor events as a whole, if the Necromancer Guild is an "advanced" guild, I think a resonable argument can be made that they've graduated well-past mentor events.

I agree with this and a lot of the other points being raised above. If the issue is disruption of Mentor events then I think an argument could be made that with Necromancers as the "advanced" Guild of the game, it is actually the widely known Necromancer showing up to said event that is the disruptive persona, not those attempting to flay them.

I think Necromancer players are well aware of what they're in for.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 02:37 PM CDT
At a severe risk of biting off more than I can chew...

...what tools are required in this case? I mean, if this event was outside a justice zone, what would need to be changed to bring it into justice? If it was outside a justice zone I'm kind of leery about making sweeping statements or changes when to me a more basic premise is that the justice/no justice boundary effect is our most workable way of deciding how to handle Necroissues.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 02:56 PM CDT
I guess I fail to see how this situation is so disturbing to a player's experience. I feel that the policy is asking players to turn a blind eye for a short period of time for the event. Our characters don't have to completely ignore their presence; we just need to make sure we don't respond right away during the event. Otherwise it disturbs the event just as much.

Since it's IC, I feel it's a good thing to RP out the situation at for a time where it's not disruptive to the entire event, usually at the event's conclusion. Why do we two need to prevent others from participating? We don't need bouncers at events. Otherwise we create an environment of exclusion that will ultimately goes against the idea of playing a multi-player game.

In order to be IC, you need to be willing to roll with whatever happens OOC.

Nikpack
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 03:05 PM CDT
>>Since it's IC, I feel it's a good thing to RP out the situation at for a time where it's not disruptive to the entire event, usually at the event's conclusion. Why do we two need to prevent others from participating? We don't need bouncers at events. Otherwise we create an environment of exclusion that will ultimately goes against the idea of playing a multi-player game.

I'm a big supporter of "Vegas Rules" for paid quests/events, but I think it's unreasonable to expect people to de-facto include/permit Necromancers in non-paid events.

That said, I think if Necromancers are [understandably] under certain restrictions when engaging in "sanctioned/promoted" RP events, it would be fair for them to get their own "sanctioned/promoted" events. I do think it's slightly unfair, no matter how 1000% appropriate/reasonable/fair it is, to say someone can't be a part of events without them having their own "things" to engage in. But that's another discussion entirely that I think relates to how team good/evil and etc etc etc tend to interact when it comes to "official" stuff.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 03:05 PM CDT
>I guess I fail to see how this situation is so disturbing to a player's experience. I feel that the policy is asking players to turn a blind eye for a short period of time for the event. Our characters don't have to completely ignore their presence; we just need to make sure we don't respond right away during the event. Otherwise it disturbs the event just as much.

Because if you RP even a little you should be absolutely horrified at the presence of a perverse necromancer anywhere, much less at a holy week event honoring an Immortal. Part of the problem is, you have to ignore the existence of necromancers ingame constantly as it is to make the game remotely playable for you or any necromancer. Even limited to just an event, 1 to 3 hours at a stretch for your average event isn't a short period of time.

The other part of the problem is, very few people RP consistent worship of the Immortals because there is little reason to but that's a completely different thread.

Vote:
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 03:07 PM CDT
The issue I have is that Mentor events are supposed to be teaching newer players about the game -- and that should include RP. Teaching them that the proper response to Necromancers is somewhere between not caring and not-liking-but-not-acting-on-it is doing them a disservice. The average canon response to necromancy should be to drive out/arrest/kill any obvious Necromancer.

Given that, as others have mentioned, Necromancers are the advanced guild, I don't see any reason why they should be given special treatment here. The Wyvern Trials already exist, are IC, and allow necromancers for their own IC reasons. The Lorethew society shouldn't.

That said, I can see why people might want Mentor events to be conflict and disruption-free. What I would do is a) let people know that at Mentor events, the scheduled items are supposed to go down and conflict is OOCly not welcome, and b) give Mentors the power to remove Necromancers and disruptive players. This way, any Necromancer who shows can be removed without a real incident (possibly hauled off to the guards), removing the need for others to fight the Necro, and anyone else causing problems for other reasons can be similarly dealt with.

It also might be worth considering some kind of disguise spell/ability that would allow a Necromancer to show up to an event under a different name for reasons of peacefully participating. Give it a severe cooldown, make it drop if there's any attacking.

- Navesi
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 03:11 PM CDT
>>It also might be worth considering some kind of disguise spell/ability that would allow a Necromancer to show up to an event under a different name for reasons of peacefully participating. Give it a severe cooldown, make it drop if there's any attacking.

I'm not going to out-meta some of the personalities involved in this and I'm not willing to play a competitive game I can't win.

Like I said in an earlier thread, I'd like to know if the justice-level tools are proving insufficient, and if this wasn't in justice to begin with what we can do to make that a more reasonable option.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 03:18 PM CDT
>Like I said in an earlier thread, I'd like to know if the justice-level tools are proving insufficient, and if this wasn't in justice to begin with what we can do to make that a more reasonable option.

In this case it was outside justice.

[North Tower, Air Floor]
A dark grey carpet decorated with a pattern of crossing black lightning bolts covers the floor, matching the decoration on the grey-painted walls. A constant, low thrum hangs just inside the range of hearing, its source nearby but not readily apparent. Doors spaced in an even circle around the perimeter lead to initiates' private cells. You also see a surly Shadow Servant, a laurelwood door and a black marble staircase.
Obvious exits: up, out.
>justice
You're fairly certain this area is lawless and unsafe.

Vote:
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 05:41 PM CDT

and I think spars and pvp events are usually held outside justice zones on the off chance someone accidentally gets a murder charge.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 06:40 PM CDT
As for tools, when I ran things in the Order House, people could be removed, but when we used another venue, it was a gamble. Perhaps when Mentors have their title up they could have a removal mechanic of some sort, otherwise, It will have to be RP'd or not I suppose.

~~~
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 08:00 PM CDT
>It also might be worth considering some kind of disguise spell/ability that would allow a Necromancer to show up to an event under a different name for reasons of peacefully participating. Give it a severe cooldown, make it drop if there's any attacking.

>>I'm not going to out-meta some of the personalities involved in this and I'm not willing to play a competitive game I can't win.

Sorry Armifer. It seems that you were responding to something I said but I don't follow what you're saying.

I just want to be clear that I support Necromancers participating peacefully at Mentor/Order/general events as long as ICly there's a reason for others to not know they are Necromancers. I don't really care what that reason is, whether it's a thin veneer or not, although I realize that if it's too thin some players won't catch on.

I'll also note that I'm fine if there's a good IC reason the event coordinators don't care (e.g. Wyvern Trials). Occasional quasi-OOC events are okay with me too, such as Duskruin and festivals. Necros gotta have fun too. I just believe that Mentor events are not the place for this kind of OOC, specifically since they are meant to teach new players about the game and ideally about RP.

>>Like I said in an earlier thread, I'd like to know if the justice-level tools are proving insufficient, and if this wasn't in justice to begin with what we can do to make that a more reasonable option.

It would be nice if Mentors at least could hold events in non-justice and remove Necromancers. Due to their job of showing off many different facets of the game, it seems like we should allow them a large number of options for locations. For everyone else, I think there are good current options (Order houses, the new meeting rooms), but maybe a justice-protected arena for fighting would be good.

- Navesi
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 08:09 PM CDT
>>I'm not going to out-meta some of the personalities involved in this and I'm not willing to play a competitive game I can't win.

I guess I'm not entirely sure what this means.

>>Like I said in an earlier thread, I'd like to know if the justice-level tools are proving insufficient, and if this wasn't in justice to begin with what we can do to make that a more reasonable option.

The result of in-justice zones here will be a "Hounding". Is there anyway to implement that solely for the purpose at Mentor events in which a Necromancer is remaining? (Ex. Can only be done in that specific room if the Necromancer remains there while the Mentor is running the event.) I ask this because there's no way all Mentor events will only be run in town.

Thinking a bit deeper though, isn't the effect of using Justice to deal with the Necromancer basically saying: "No Necromancers at Mentor Events"? I mean, in that case, perhaps the policies surrounding Mentor events needs to be reviewed?
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 08:16 PM CDT
>>I guess I'm not entirely sure what this means.

Any sort of disguise system I invent is going to be imperfect due to the limitations I'm handed and mostly a RP prop. We've proven we as a general community cannot handle such situations with good faith, so I'm not inclined to put effort into it.

>>Thinking a bit deeper though, isn't the effect of using Justice to deal with the Necromancer basically saying: "No Necromancers at Mentor Events"? I mean, in that case, perhaps the policies surrounding Mentor events needs to be reviewed?

Not really? I'm stating where the boundary line currently is reinforced to deal with Necromancers and offering to listen to ways to make it more desirable to use that boundary when you deem it appropriate.

I mean, I'm assuming there's no real argument to the idea that "Openly known Necro blithely attending holy week celebrations" was the undesirable outcome which we're in look for a solution to. Is that wrong?

-Armifer
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 08:30 PM CDT
I suppose this is more of a sidenote: but

> Any sort of disguise system I invent is going to be imperfect due to the limitations I'm handed and mostly a RP prop.

I thought a disguise system was one of the reasons necromancers had performance in their SoI otherwise it seems a bit strange. I don't picture the intention that we are playing bongos around a tea party.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 08:32 PM CDT
>>Any sort of disguise system I invent is going to be imperfect due to the limitations I'm handed and mostly a RP prop. We've proven we as a general community cannot handle such situations with good faith, so I'm not inclined to put effort into it.

Thanks. Sometimes I need the Barney-style explanation.

>>I mean, I'm assuming there's no real argument to the idea that "Openly known Necro blithely attending holy week celebrations" was the undesirable outcome which we're in look for a solution to. Is that wrong?

No, you're right. It's just that ultimately, if you institute any type of "justice works here against Necromancers." the end result is Necromancers won't show up at all anyways, because they're going to certainly be Hounded.

But if the Justice system is the tool we want to rely on, finding a way to allow a very limited use of it for Mentors is the thing to do, it seems. How that can be done in areas out of town and only during a Mentor event is a bit tricky, though.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 08:33 PM CDT
To be honest, I'm unsure why that's in their SoI. I've been quite vocally against Necro disguise systems beyond what we already offer for spellcasting.

-Armifer
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 08:43 PM CDT
So, let me take a few steps back and give you my working goals here.

I don't want Necromancers to be limited from all social interaction, only the kind that self-selects Necromancers out of it. That includes IC orders, which the Mentors are one.

While I am somewhat pessimistic about the nature of DR RP at times, the simple fact is I have to trust you guys to handle your business, because I do not have the authority, literal or moral, to dictate what you do with your time. I have set the stage up, I have given you the cliff notes of what Necromancers are all about, and it's up to you guys to either be faithful to it, throw it in the dustbin, or do something I haven't imagined yet.

I can give you tools to make these decisions effectively. But at the end of the day I need to take a step back from the IC Orders and let them be whatever they're going to be. Mentors are special in some of the tools they're given and in their mandate, but at the end of the day (as I've been reminded recently) they are an IC group and that means Their IC Business is gonna be Their IC Business in my eyes.

Okay that was kind of long and windy. tl;dr is that I don't want to dictate an on/off position for you, but I do want to give you the option to host your events somewhere that's relatively necro-free and other events where it's not, at your discretion.

-Armifer
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 09:01 PM CDT

Then we'll need a spot that's okay for spars but not for necromancers. Justice zones can give people disturbing the peace and murder charges.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 09:09 PM CDT
>>Then we'll need a spot that's okay for spars but not for necromancers. Justice zones can give people disturbing the peace and murder charges.

Noted. I'm not sure how much work it'll take, but I can take a look.

-Armifer
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 09:36 PM CDT
I'd like to share something I wrote recently to a friend. It's something of a lightbulb moment for me.

(7:23:22 PM) Armifer: I mean, the real answer is something I have to say to everybody, RP only goes as far as it's fun and it's performed in good faith. Your roleplay is nothing to me as an end in and of itself.

Let's take an obvious example. Someone can declare "My roleplay is a serial killer, therefore I shall stalk the shipyards and hunt down all newbies for my ear necklace." This roleplay would be shut down very quickly on the obvious merits. Sure, it's against consent policy and all that jazz, but that's a formalization of the notion that it's not fun for the people being involved in it and it's almost certainly not in good faith.

How do we broach this topic of not just caring about the roleplay, which is great and all, but being awesome to other players in the process? What are our moral responsibilities to each other?

Where do we draw the critical line between someone needing to accept a downfall as part of roleplay and actually having fun roleplay?

Basically, how do we reinject maturity and good sportsmanship into a game that has, perhaps for a very long time now, sorely lacked both?

-Armifer
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 09:54 PM CDT
>>Basically, how do we reinject maturity and good sportsmanship into a game that has, perhaps for a very long time now, sorely lacked both?

This was one of the major factors of me moving to Plat. I went in with the assumption that a group of 10-20 players were more likely to play nice (and in good faith) with each other because it would get mighty lonely for the one or two people who decided to play the game in bad faith. For what it's worth, this has been proven correct. From what I saw when playing TF in the past, they had a similar thing going for them. Everyone in those instances generally know each other and talk, as well, so its hard to be an under-the-radar jerk, too.

The main issue Prime has is that the audience is large enough that its small minority of players who tend to respond to things in bad faith is big enough to be their own group and/or the audience being big enough that those bad faith actors are generally unknown by the vast majority of the game. The 1-5% of bad faith actors in Plat and TF generally amounted to one or two people, while for Prime that's what... a couple dozen?

That said, I don't know how well that can be done in Prime. In Plat/TF, for better or worse, if someone was playing/acting in bad faith the instance made it very well known to them. I don't think Prime players could have a similar effect, and I don't think GMs can (or will be allowed to) take on the burden of doing that themselves.

Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/16/2016 09:55 PM CDT
First let me say I appreciate the thought and effort you're putting into both the topic, and the greater game as a whole.

>>Basically, how do we reinject maturity and good sportsmanship into a game that has, perhaps for a very long time now, sorely lacked both?

I'm reminded of the suggestion I made to Evike in a previous thread about the state of roleplay in DR and the lack of a cohesive community.

I still think that GMs holding a forum (not THE forums, this is the vocal minority) to discuss what they'd like to see, what is and isn't acceptable, and giving general advice on how to foster a more mature community and fielding questions from the player base would be a good step. Something that may need to be done repeatedly, because as you said, the game has sorely lacked some things for a long time.

There's a distinct set of people playing DR that have a desire for there to be a more active and successful Roleplay Community here, one that is mature and lacks much of the desire to simply disrupt things or engage in mindless PvP for the sake of PvP.

I think the event that happened today with Drogor's altar is an example of the potential in some of the players. While some players may have had problems with it, I know from speaking to others that a fair number of people who were smote by Drogor still thought the event was amazing, and the logs I've seen of it were some of the best stuff I've read in a while. This goes to show that there are players who have no problem taking a downfall if the route there is entertaining and well done, and it was by both staff and players alike.

I think if these types of players are able to be herded to observe Staff's advice, it could go a long way. But that's just my take on it.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 01:10 AM CDT
Not a justice-level tool, but I would personally love to see some sort of cleric (or potentially paladin) tool to create a consecrated ground specifically targeting necromancers. Could easily require time/rituals to set up (creating an altar, or what have you), and/or having those present sacrifice favors to get the Immortals attention.

~Aislynn
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 01:17 AM CDT
While the average player of the average online game is... socially awkward at best, DR has always seemed particularly bad. It makes you wonder what about DR is actively encouraging awful people in the first place.

...the horrible forums directing larger community formation to the back-alleys of the internet probably doesn't help.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 05:59 AM CDT
I'll start this wall of text off with saying that I've been a proponent of Necromancers having a Mentor for awhile. Yes, it's an advanced class, and yes the majority of its players will have the very basics of game mechanics already down, but Mentors are about more than that: planning and executing events, promoting community and cohesion, making basic information accessible, and (in theory) setting an example for other players in terms of behavior and roleplay. And even new Necromancer players need help with things sometimes, with both general mechanics ("What will out me on a metagame level?" is a common question for example) as well as the mechanics specific to the class which are not always intuitive. Additionally, Mentors as the sole alternate means besides Orders to having access to an official organization and all of the various privileges and tools that come with that. I've banged this drum before, but those resources are a big deal.

Mentors are in a difficult spot though. The IC organization has traditionally been presented as a thin veneer for the OOC function of the group, which is all of the things already mentioned. If Mentors are meant to be more IC than that, though, there needs to be some effort put into reconciling that with Necromancers attending Mentor events, much less having representation within the Lorethew Society. Either way, though, the current policy -- that players of any class are allowed to attend whatever Mentor event they like provided they aren't disrupting that specific event -- is untenable. The Lorethew Society being a serious, legal, sanctioned in-character group and Necromancers being allowed to attend any IC Mentor event are mutually exclusive concepts. That policy is utterly unreasonable and untenable without redefining either the Lorethew Society or Necromancers, and keeping it as-is places undue strain on both roleplayers within the broader community and Mentors themselves who find themselves forced to tolerate PCs their character never would otherwise.

Does this all mean you have to scrap the entire policy? Absolutely not. The policy was created with good intentions and with an eye to inclusion and ensuring that everybody gets a fair shot at being social and participating in events and contests, and also likely predates Necromancers as a guild entirely. These are excellent principles to stand on, it's only the details and execution that needs work. In a nutshell though, I think it's entirely fair to say "you cannot attend these kinds of events without potentially serious IC consequences including expulsion or death, but we will make an effort at having events you can attend which are more off the beaten path." Which...goes back to why I think there should be a Necromancer Mentor, in part. There are ways to make this work ICly, I think, but that's probably a discussion for another thread.

Armifer brought up the question of what kind of tools and responses are appropriate in this situation as well, where you have a well-attended official event that is held outside of a mechanical justice area but which is still pretty urban. Justice areas in my mind are a reflection of the notion that guards are regularly patrolling through there; that a particular area is not mechanically a justice area or ICly is not regularly patrolled does not mean it isn't urban or more or less within the jurisdiction of a city. In that situation, I think arrests and Houndings are still appropriate responses from GMs supervising. Good judgment should be used regarding whether a Necromancer can be considered "high profile" enough to warrant more extreme responses or whether the situation itself is chaotic enough to warrant letting it slide (invasions are classic examples), and I'm in favor of "warning shots" or other tacit offers to let the person twirl their mustache and flee into the night either way.

Ultimately though the upshot of claiming you wish to roleplay a prominent, loud, in-your-face villain is that you don't get to turn around and have tea parties or play in archery contests among polite society. In those situations, arrests, deportation, Hounding, and plain murder are actually acknowledgements and affirmations of the role that person has claimed they wish to have. If anything, it's disrespectful to the concept of a genuinely outspoken villainous character to simply ignore them or giggle behind your hand and wink while you call them a dastardly fiend. It's kinda like playing a heel in wrestling; the worst thing the crowd can do isn't booing, because making the crowd boo is actually the goal of a heel. The worst reaction a crowd can have to a heel is to do nothing at all and remain utterly silent.

Necromancers and other villainous types have a responsibility in all of this too, which is to treat the opposition like a legitimate threat and not lean on out-of-character metagame knowledge that policy and game mechanics protect you from serious lasting consequences. We have a responsibility to acknowledge that our very presence is varying degrees of contentious and has the potential to utterly derail scenes, the same as an Inquisitor strolling into a Team Bad meeting would be. And when it comes to pre-planned events that other players have put time and energy into hosting, we have a responsibility to respect that time and energy and not do things that we may reasonably conclude will stall or halt these events without running it by the organizers first.

I think a lot of people appreciate both sides of this and are doing their best. I know the Mentors at the event in question were doing their best, and I know a lot of people were and have in the past been put into tough spots because it's hard to know how to make things work for everyone sometimes. But I do agree with the sentiment that the gradual reintroduction of mutual respect and good sportsmanship into the broader community needs to start somewhere and really what better place than the various GMs and players who are ostensibly community leaders?

Thayet

Prev_page Previous 1