Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 11:20 AM CDT
Thayet's post pretty much summarized my feelings about this. I know for years I tried to bring up the idea of having a Necromancer Mentor just for events and being able to answer OOC necromancer questions. The idea was turned down every time, but I really think that gets at the ideas of necromancers feeling like we don't have events or RP to really engage in. It was one of the main reason I started my lectures and meetings forever ago just to try and hold a tea light to the candles Mentors have. (And let's not even get into the fact that a necromantic, thief of a paladin is perfect ok in a IC situation for leading other PCs).

Necromancers are starving for events. STARVING. Sometimes I felt like my little events were doing more damage by giving people hope that things would happen. When real events started connecting with my lectures everyone was elated and you have no idea how many whispers/messages I got constantly when everything just dropped. People would message me thinking I was either part of GM staff or had a good connecting with someone and asking me why I let events drop completely. This was one of the big reasons I ended up taking a big break around that time. Just having recognition with some of the mentor tools adds legitimacy, you can dance around the subject and pretend as much as you want but unless you experience it you don't know. I've gone to a few Mentor events on alts recently and it is amazing how nice it is when someone goes poof food for everyone and puts on a Mentor title (which is another pure recognition of their separateness).

I've always thought that having a Necromancer or even team bad guy Mentor types would help enrich the RP in Dragonrealms as an appropriate individual could work with other mentors and really create events that "feel" real. I've always wanted to be able to work with other event people to create dynamic and rich events around Necromancers and how they interact with the other guilds and world (for both the good and ill that can come from it).

Regarding this event in particular (which I wasn't at so only know what was posted here), I'm shocked to hear that Mentors have a policy where they are supposed to just let a necromancer attend without some kind of recourse. We have been told over and over to get our hands out of that cereal box and that it isn't for us. But it sound like it was just a situation that wasn't expected so I am glad that the conversation has at least involved looking at the RP of it.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 01:00 PM CDT
I agree, Necromancer Mentor would be good. Preferably they'd only handle necromancer questions and events. Rather than working out of the Jadewater, maybe build an extra room/portal in the necromancer guilds to 'ring a bell' for them. Having an experienced and knowledgeable necromancer you could go to for guidance would only improve the rank and file. Mentor events should be available even for an advanced outcast class.

You could handwave the lore by having a Lorethew Mentor seduced by the call of the Great Work and going rogue.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 01:31 PM CDT
>Not a justice-level tool, but I would personally love to see some sort of cleric (or potentially paladin) tool to create a consecrated ground specifically targeting necromancers. Could easily require time/rituals to set up (creating an altar, or what have you), and/or having those present sacrifice favors to get the Immortals attention.<

I could sort of see this as a glyph that binds the necro to a holy room or something. Or even a joint effort between Clerics and Paladins, where Clerics consecrate a room and Paladins trace a glyph that traps the necro. Heck, perhaps this could be a secondary effect of the glyph of bonding.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 01:33 PM CDT
The Philosophers of the knife, of all the guilds, seem most apt to have their own pesudo-mentor organization. The biggest difference between them and necromancers in general is the teaching-each-other aspect.

It would sorely help with the fact that you can't encounter guild lore organically through gameplay. There are virtually no books (ha) except out-of-game manuals, the join quest and guildleader speeches probably don't mean anything without a lot of context you had to have been there for -- how many years ago now? Even as an advanced guild, you could have played a barbarian or thief for a decade and not know how to magic despite the operating presumption this is magerealms. I really enjoy the guild and wish I had more time to spend with it, but it frustrates me that the necromancer experience prioritizes the metagame over the game.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 01:49 PM CDT
>> I've always thought that having a Necromancer or even team bad guy Mentor types would help enrich the RP in Dragonrealms as an appropriate individual could work with other mentors and really create events that "feel" real.

Agreed. And the collaboration aspect is potentially awesome too: imagine if we could work with the Paladin Mentor to have a joint event where we're working toward opposite ends trying to capture X plot widget or whatever? Mentors have never done quasi-PvP events in the past but I don't see why that couldn't change, provided everyone who participated was on the same page. There's just a lot of potential there and I think there are enough work-arounds for the IC situation with the Lorethew Society to make it viable.

>> You could handwave the lore by having a Lorethew Mentor seduced by the call of the Great Work and going rogue.

Or just say the Lorethew Society leadership has some kind of relationship to people in working under Book and is willing to extend him resources. I mean, it's not like they'd be the first "upright" and extremely well-known organization with secret ties to the Philosophers. The only thing is this would need to be plausibly hidden or non-obvious to current Mentor PCs.

The rest would depend on who was selected, but if nothing else I don't see why a Necromancer Mentor couldn't have two characters that work as a Mentor, one for legitimate events where they're working in town and one for everything else.

>> It would sorely help with the fact that you can't encounter guild lore organically through gameplay.

I pitched this in-game at a couple people already but I might as well post too: I'd like to change this. I think if we write and throw books at them, the GMs might actually be moved to build a library for us. It's a potentially big project, but I'd like to bring in as many players as I can to collaborate on creating books to get that information in-game at long last.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Mentor events policy and conflict 04/17/2016 01:59 PM CDT

> I could sort of see this as a glyph that binds the necro to a holy room or something. Or even a joint effort between Clerics and Paladins, where Clerics consecrate a room and Paladins trace a glyph that traps the necro. Heck, perhaps this could be a secondary effect of the glyph of bonding.

What about a compel like ability for paladins. It creates a contest that will attempt to eject someone from a room. It will forcefully (and painfully) toss them out if they attempt to return. It could be a very hard contest to pull off in normal rooms. A moderately hard contest to pull off in holy rooms. And a very easy spell to pull off against necros in holy rooms? It's a guaranteed fail for desecrated rooms (upcoming necro mana change)

It would be non-signature, but the holy bonus would only apply to paladins (and maybe clerics aligned to the god of the room they're in?)

And for fun, necros get the opposite ability. It's impossible to cast in holy rooms, but very easy to cast in desecrated rooms.

As a PvE niche, everyone can also cast it against a specific type of creature. That could make hunting zones more viable where they have a mixed creature set, some being grossly more powerful or weak than the other.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page