Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Names 05/08/2003 12:22 PM CDT
For those that groan about names, I have to tell you that you'd probably have a conniption over in Shadowbane.

Apparently there are no real naming restrictions at all, so I shall share with you some of the people I passed in my travels last night:

GetThe Point (he was an assassin)
MoooCow the Terrible (Minotaur barbarian)
"_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _" (yes....15 underscores)
... (yes...someone was named ...)
CarveAnX In Your Back
Tota Leigh Gimpt
Whos Your Daddy

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Names 05/08/2003 12:31 PM CDT
A bit off-topic: I beta-tested shadowbane and hated it. Did it get significantly better?

Back on-topic: in DAoC on the Gawaine server, there was a Ranger named Uwanna <misspelled version of something I can't say>whupin. She eventually had to change her last name, but I found it fairly amusing. The first time. <grins> Same deal there. There are restrictions, but they're VERY loose, 'cept on the RP servers. You get some very good and some VERY bad names. Then in UO I believe there was someone or someones named "you". They'd get a partner who'd attack 'em, and then the messaging made you think you were being attacked, so you'd attack the partner, letting them kill and loot you with no repercussions. Insidious.

Roye
Re: Names 05/08/2003 03:43 PM CDT
I will certainly agree that the Simu games I've played have much better named characters than any other online rpgs. And it -does- add to the atmosphere of the game as much as seeing Choo Seaname walk by detracts from it.
Re: Names 05/08/2003 03:43 PM CDT
Actually since UO isn't text base I doubt that's what your thinking of... btu the first few days in TF there was a guy named You 'Out till he annoyed too many people and got walked.

-Mozzik
Re: Names 05/08/2003 03:46 PM CDT
Nope, I'm pretty sure it was UO. You'd get this little message at the bottom left of your screen saying "suchandso is attacking you!" Wasn't a text-based game, in any case :)

Roye
Re: Names 05/08/2003 03:51 PM CDT
there was someone named "You" and someone named "The" in TF as well.

~ The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which hath been is that
which shall be,
And that which hath been done is that
which shall be done;
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Re: Names 05/08/2003 04:48 PM CDT
>>A bit off-topic: I beta-tested shadowbane and hated it. Did it get significantly better?<<

How late? The difference between early beta and release is profound, thanks to siege combat being introduced. If you beta'd after that point, though, you're not going to notice mcuh beyond nominal server stability fixes that don't actually work.

>>Then in UO I believe there was someone or someones named "you". They'd get a partner who'd attack 'em,<<

Thats rather Rube Goldberg of them. You could just emote that; anyone silly enough to not keep their health gauge on top is silly enough to fall for that.

And now for something remotely on topic...

My favorite MMOG name was over in EQ. I was bored when creating an alt, and ended up naming him Arpeyar. Its stuck.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: Names 05/08/2003 05:04 PM CDT
<<How late? The difference between early beta and release is profound, thanks to siege combat being introduced. If you beta'd after that point, though, you're not going to notice mcuh beyond nominal server stability fixes that don't actually work.>>

From late last year 'til shortly before release. I never got into siege combat as I couldn't stomach the leveling process, nor the horrid, HORRID controls (which were, even when they worked the way they were supposed to, almost unusable). I kept trying it for an hour or two, thinking I must be missing something, and then hating it all over again and stopping for a week/month.

<<My favorite MMOG name was over in EQ. I was bored when creating an alt, and ended up naming him Arpeyar. Its stuck.>>

For the slow ones in the audience, namely me, that s'posed to be RPer? Took me a while. I'll put it up to it being just past midnight here. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Roye
Re: Names 05/08/2003 11:43 PM CDT
>>For the slow ones in the audience, namely me, that s'posed to be RPer?<<

Yup. The idea of naming a character that on a mainstream MMOG amused me.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: Names 05/10/2003 07:53 PM CDT
I've been passed on the Crossing streets a few times by Brute Forces. It's alawys a bit disconcerting. Without the title I don't think I'd have noticed the name. I'm also often thrown off by Colporteur. Makes me wanna break out into songs from Kiss Me Kate. But Raineira doesn't know any.

Player of Raineira and Ursluadh
Re: Names 05/11/2003 02:22 PM CDT
>I've been passed on the Crossing streets a few times by Brute Forces. It's alawys a bit disconcerting.

In addition to the bad name, Forces is also a jerk, a pickpocket, and a murderer on top of it. A real winner all around.

-- Jansan

You give a built-in Wayerd pyramid a hug. I'm quite sure that the pyramid appreciates the sentiment.
The Wayerd pyramid emits a low humming noise as the sun's rays shine down on it.
Re: Names 05/12/2003 07:23 PM CDT
Meanne is supposed to be pronounced Me-anne, not Meanie :( <weeps>

I too would like to change my name to avoid confusion, right now I rp that Meanne's birth name was Anissa, and that she changed it to Me-anne during her misguided childhood. And it sort of stuck.

~/\/\eanne~
"What happened to the thing in a bag?"
"It escaped. In to the mountains."
Re: Bad Names I've Seen... 05/12/2003 08:04 PM CDT
Okay, I SO did not need to see that picture..............::falls over::

M.R.

"There are three things in life which are real: God, human folly and laughter. Since the first
two are beyond our comprehension,
we must do what we can with the third."
John F. Kennedy
Re: Bad Names I've Seen... 05/12/2003 08:38 PM CDT
You were warned :(

~/\/\eanne~
"What happened to the thing in a bag?"
"It escaped. In to the mountains."
Re: Names 05/31/2003 09:33 AM CDT
<<Forces is also a jerk, a pickpocket, and a murderer on top of it.>>

It's a free Realms. :) Not sticking up for him cause I don't know him, but running into these types of players if fun sometimes........except when they kill me right before I have to go to work!<flail>

Codiax.
Re: Names 06/01/2003 12:24 PM CDT
<< there was someone named "You" and someone named "The" in TF as well. >>

They have some of the weirdest names in TF <g> I got quite a laugh out of this one though...

<< Monk Enutz just arrived 9:32 p.m. >>

Cabbage: A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head.
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)
Re: Names 06/02/2003 07:40 PM CDT
Saw someone whose last name was S-ilverunicorngoldrapier. Talk about cumbersome, how'd he get through school?
Re: Names 06/02/2003 07:56 PM CDT
That would make those aptitude tests where you fill in a circle for each letter of your name rather difficult.

~Vien De'Lionne~

"#22: No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited
power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

--The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
Re: Names 06/03/2003 02:32 PM CDT
Well at least they made him change it from S-ilverunicorn after I reported it. Heh.

Maulem~
Kaldaran by birth,
Farmer at heart,
Barbarian by the Grace of Mo.
Re: Names 06/04/2003 04:09 PM CDT
I guess S'ilverunicorn was taken.

Of course, I must admit that I have definitely been guilty of making bad names before. Fortunately, their characters never interested me enough to do anything with them.

I still have a character named Redthorne' because I wanted to her to be of the Redthorne family in Ratha.

And in Platinum, I was Lieutenant Syreh Virkailijia...which is silly if you are Finnish, because that is Lieutenant Syreh Lieutenant

And even now, after all my learning experiences with names, Vyraka's last name is Giesa, which is the last known Gorbesh Emperors name.

--Vyraka--
Re: Names 06/19/2003 12:26 AM CDT
Hrmmm you sure it wasn't "Teh" (Yes I was the great and infamous Teh that only lasted 2 weeks) And I say we only let Meanne change her name so its actually Meanie.

Baelor
Re: Names 06/19/2003 12:01 PM CDT
No, it was "The"

And I never heard of you.
Re: Names 06/19/2003 04:14 PM CDT
It's ME-ANNE :( And I wouldn't mind changing my name, since everyone reads it as Meanie!

~/\/\eanne~

"I have dreamed a dream and now that dream is gone from me."
Re: Names 06/19/2003 04:29 PM CDT
<<since everyone reads it as Meanie!>>

But that fits so well!

That's how I always said it. ::grin::

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Names 06/19/2003 05:31 PM CDT
<<
That's how I always said it. ::grin::>>

:{ Shows what you know.

~/\/\eanne~

"I have dreamed a dream and now that dream is gone from me."
Re: Names 06/19/2003 05:54 PM CDT
<<:{ Shows what you know.>>

He knows how to get your goat...

Oh and Solomon, you got a bug in your hair.

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
Names 09/26/2003 12:42 PM CDT
I started playing about 8 years ago. When I started I figured I would play for a week and get bored so I went with a more umm fun name. I kept playing, playing and playing and now I have this name for which I am stuck with. While I have come up with a complete background to support the name, I still would like to change it. I have requested a name change but I have been told that my character is too old and it can't be changed. What I was wondering if this name change thing, has given me the possiblity of doing so now? I know that this is really for last names, but still curious. And for those of you that say I should just reroll , that is not an option that I will venture into. I work alot, don't have 20 hours a day to spend in dragonrealms, sometimes I don't play for an entire week or two due to real life. It usually takes me several months to gain one circle, when I actually try to gain a circle.

Feeenyx Ryzing
May Murrula's phoenix always light your inner fire.
Names 11/15/2003 02:39 PM CST
Well, guess it's just different if you are a new player, most the players who Have last names seem to think the changes are all right. Personally, as a player Without one, I hate it. If I read it right, this means my charaters Never will have one unless they marry (Ack!) or beg one from someone else? I am understanding this correctly?

Fairlight's and Melodiel's (insert No last name here) player
Re: Names 11/16/2003 08:07 AM CST

Most likely when the new name mechanics first come out there will be a way for people with no last name to claim one of their own.

They might even give people who HAVE last names the ability to change them, though perhaps only those who have the uncapitalized last names.

The alien who controls Syrath's brain

Your Horoscope: The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Names 11/17/2003 09:10 AM CST
the post at the beginning of this folder says it all, I think. eventually, last names will be able to be chosen, and if they are not taken already they become yours, and you can do several things with them, etc, etc.

-Durnil
Re: Names 11/18/2003 08:39 AM CST
Fairlight,

You have my SN. I can probably explain it better to you in IMs so you can ask anything you would want to know about it. Have pretty good idea how it supposed to work. Just IM me tonight.

Elanius/Brablo

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FatherJarle/index.html

Live by the shield, die by the shield.
Re: Names 11/19/2003 03:12 PM CST
Imagine this:

To attain culture feats (don't like the term racial feats, too generic), a character must travel to that region, read a little preview of that culture (probably by asking an NPC) and then choose a last name from a long list of names provided for that culture. Voila, you get feats specific to that culture, you get a last name, you get a little education and you get a homeland. People who already have last names can, of course, bypass the name requirement.

So, say Melodiel is a wood elf from Leth and would like the feats and the name to aknowledge that. She talks to the..um, Elder Matron in the sacred grove and chooses the last name 'Lyrvael', a solid Leth-ian last name. Now as Leth elf she gets a bonus to woodworking and bows. Wee. Other characters who know something about Leth names will be able to pick out her heritage as well- maybe chat about home?

Just a suggestion, for those who want a last name without marrying. I like the idea of tying it into DRII feats beacause, well, I'm a little obsessed with them right now.

-Mersc's player.
Re: Names 11/21/2003 06:31 PM CST
>>Voila, you get feats specific to that culture, you get a last name, you get a little >>education and you get a homeland. People who already have last names can, of course, bypass >>the name requirement.

I think that's an awesome idea. You should cross-post that to the DRII forum (If you haven't already.) I like this idea as well, because you can start to identify characters by the region they're from.

All I know is that I'm here.
Drifting somewhere in the VAST
somewhere in eterneity
and I never want to leave
Re: Names 11/30/2003 10:12 PM CST
All I know is I want to get rid of this blasted L infront of my last name. Makes me sound...French. And if I can't keep it, I'd atleast like to make it fancy. You know, like, Le Merzson, or L'Merzson, or maybe, McMerzson. Yeah. McMerzson. That's be awsome. Or maybe just Merzson...that'll work...

Missing In Action,
Fragonrok McMerzson
Soldier of Aesry Surlaenis'a
Bad Names 01/12/2004 06:44 PM CST
Sorry Pinocchio, but I had to report a name like that. I've seen some really bad ones but that just pushed me too far. <shrugs>

Dethas Il'Fear

"Once Lucky, Twice Foolish, Thrice Dead!"
Re: Bad Names 01/12/2004 07:31 PM CST
I just hope they caught Sharpshooter.

Missing In Action,
Fragonrok LMerzson
Soldier of Aesry Surlaenis'a

When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.
Re: Bad Names 01/12/2004 07:33 PM CST
They won't.

- Player of Miki & Cael

Despairing due to that darn dimpling? Dump those dimples, discounted 100%!

IM Filthy Sentiment, or email my play.net addy.
Re: Bad Names 01/12/2004 08:04 PM CST
Ok, I thought they caught Pinocchio cuz he wasn't on 5 minutes after i reported him, then i saw him 10 minutes later. Guess there's no enforcement on the naming policy.

Dethas Il'Fear

"Once Lucky, Twice Foolish, Thrice Dead!"
Re: Bad Names 01/12/2004 08:49 PM CST
Or all the online GMs are busy with something more important. Relax.
Re: Bad Names 01/19/2004 02:21 PM CST
Then there's the fact that whining about bad names is not supposed to go in this folder. This for discussing the new last name system thingy.
/wannabe BM
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4