Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 05:56 PM CST
>>Once again, this is not accurate. Stat levels are also reflected in the stats critters get. As new things come out, GMs aren't going to just go "stats will stop mattering after 50 ranks" if players can hit that easily and have it go as far as 100+.

Okay, take a deep breath, read everything I said, and then post again. Until GMs weigh in on this, that's conjecture. That's speculation. That's thinking the moon is made of cheese without reading the countless textbooks that say it's not. Please show me quotes, texts, anything that suggest that critters are based on the -SPECIFIC- players who have 100 points in each stat.

On the subject of why it actually doesn't matter: it doesn't. All SvS contests with critters are in favor of the attacker. Defending could be the only problem, and that only happens from -HUNTING TOO HIGH.- You yourself acknowledged this. Don't make me quote you, bruh, I'll do it. At level, all SvS contests are successes, so there's no need to neuter the system in that favor.

>>To not do that would be bad design, because it would leave no room for character growth/development in the system.

Okay now you're talking about a completely different thing. There's a hard cap to ranks. What new developments are there gonna be in the system? Are GMs gonna introduce new creatures for like 1750+ players? Are they making World of Warcraft raids? Dungeons? Everything is conjecture until it's not. All I know is the current facts: PvP is the most significantly affected, everything else can be changed by fixing a few small things on other systems. Why ruin it for everybody who passionately PvPs in favor of things that can be changed in a way for -EVERYONE- to have cake, eat, fight it, do whatever they want with it.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 06:09 PM CST
>>Okay, take a deep breath, read everything I said, and then post again. Until GMs weigh in on this, that's conjecture. That's speculation.

As new systems come out, GMs are factoring in the range of stats/skills people can reach more because GMs are conscious of the fact that they're not just developing for an end-game of people hitting 400ish in skills and mid 50s in stats, and instead expecting people to hit 1k+ skills and reach 100+ in a stat. Look at crafting for an example of scalability, where you keep earning tech slots until 1,200 ranks and stats influence a percentage of a RT reduction chance happening vs outright reducing things like combat. Do you sincerely believe that if stats can hit 100+, and GMs expect people to hit 100+, that they're going to just cut stats off from mattering at a lower point of entry?

>>On the subject of why it actually doesn't matter: it doesn't. All SvS contests with critters are in favor of the attacker.

Put on an imaginary GM hat here and re-read your statement. "Stats don't matter when you hunt at level because your stats are always better." Does that seem like good design? If you were a GM, would you be cool with that, or would you go "Well, we need to reassess how stats on critters work so at-level hunting is more of a challenge and people don't just snap debilitations at minimum."

>>All I know is the current facts: PvP is the most significantly affected, everything else can be changed by fixing a few small things on other systems. Why ruin it for everybody who passionately PvPs

I'm not sure how someone who wants a robust/exciting/challenging PvP system is also in favor of a system that goes "just train everything so you hit 100 in all your stats then you'll be on the same level as everyone else."

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 06:28 PM CST
>>As new systems come out, GMs are factoring in the range of stats/skills people can reach more because GMs are conscious of the fact that they're not just developing for an end-game of people hitting 400ish in skills and mid 50s in stats, and instead expecting people to hit 1k+ skills and reach 100+ in a stat. Look at crafting for an example of scalability, where you keep earning tech slots until 1,200 ranks and stats influence a percentage of a RT reduction chance happening vs outright reducing things like combat. Do you sincerely believe that if stats can hit 100+, and GMs expect people to hit 100+, that they're going to just cut stats off from mattering at a lower point of entry?

Thank you for not reading anything I wrote. Alright... be honest, are you one of those people who argue just to argue? Because none of what you're saying makes sense anymore. At this point, it sounds like you're more in favor of general stat tweaks for critters, which is understandable and I sympathize. I'm going to bring this last point up and then, if you choose to ignore it again, I am not going to debate it further, because it's clear you're living in your own little world. Until the GMs can say -FOR CERTAIN- that they are basing all new creature release stats on the people who train every single weapon and every single armor and every single skill, then it is blind, empty, blithering conjecture. It means nothing. It means less than nothing.

Crafting and combat are apples and oranges, and if you think they should behave similarly, I've got bad news for you in terms of your fervent arguments against "cookie cutter builds."

>>Put on an imaginary GM hat here and re-read your statement. "Stats don't matter when you hunt at level because your stats are always better." Does that seem like good design? If you were a GM, would you be cool with that, or would you go "Well, we need to reassess how stats on critters work so at-level hunting is more of a challenge and people don't just snap debilitations at minimum."

No. It's not great design. I agree. You are right. But it's hunting. Players do it to gain more ranks so that critters are easier, and then they can go on to critters that are harder, which will then become easier, and on and on. PvE isn't anything special in this game. That's not a TDP design problem, that's a DR design problem. You want PvE to be more challenging. I get that. Why not introduce more challenging creatures that offer something other than the -SOLE- reward of more ranks and TDPs? Maybe items? Crafting recipes? Further quests and designs and stuff? It's not hard to get creative here.

>>I'm not sure how someone who wants a robust/exciting/challenging PvP system is also in favor of a system that goes "just train everything so you hit 100 in all your stats then you'll be on the same level as everyone else."

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table. If this argument was the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, what you just said would be the Dark Tower itself, the connection between worlds, the monument to Gan and his kith, thankee sai, that brings together all realities and all events, past and future. Here it is:

You don't PvP.

You're not sure about what I'm talking about because you've never experienced what I am talking about. You don't know what I'm talking about, and you don't care to find out how big of an issue this is to people who -do- know what I am talking about. Every guild plays according to their strengths, and every TDP is a means to an end, not an end itself. There are plenty of inherent flaws between guild and PvP encounters that make it more exciting and enjoyable. Limiting TDPs is another unnecessary addition to existing problems.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 06:38 PM CST
Changing TDP gain and by extension Stats would mean rebalancing (and probably in a few cases rewriting) every ability and system with stat checks ingame wouldn't it? How long would something like that take? Somewhere between 4 to 8 years?

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 06:43 PM CST
<<Everyone's telling me to ignore you but I'm just gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.>>

Well I appreciate it for what it's worth, I wasn't trying to troll or anything, just throwing a different angle out there... really I don't have a dog in this fight, as you said, so whether it remains status quo or a huge change happens, doesn't affect me much. So in that, you've made me see your point: even if the way things are now aren't ideal, it's been let go too long that changing significantly is going to cause more harm than good. I mean there is room for change I think, but as for how much, what can be done... dunno.

I would still like to see another path of some sort, where training in a focused manner has some sort of benefit (but is still sub-optimal, yes, you're not putting in as much time, you shouldn't be equivalent to someone who does). The increased drain when rolling fewer skills seems like an elegant solution. Doesn't step on anyone's toes if they do like to train wide, but gives more focused trainers something (hey, I'm not getting all these TDPs, but I'm progressing a little quicker!).

Well, and this is just a personal pet peeve, I wish some skills didn't provide as much to the TDP pool... zills, I'm looking at you. Just so weird, imagining everyone just wandering the Crossing, snapping their little finger cymbals together. But I digress.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 06:50 PM CST
Evasion - 1750.00
Expertise - 1750.00
Missile Mastery - 1750.00
Large Blunt - 1750.00
Small Blunt - 1750.00
Defending - 1750.00
Large Edged - 1750.00
Brawling - 1750.00
Parry Ability - 1750.00
Shield Usage - 1750.00
Light Armor - 1750.00
Bow - 1750.00
Melee Mastery - 1750.00
Small Edged - 1750.00
Twohanded Edged - 1750.00
Twohanded Blunt - 1728.38
Stealth - 1725.32
Polearms - 1709.69
Perception - 1645.32
Light Thrown - 1635.46
Chain Armor - 1627.21
Heavy Thrown - 1589.83
Offhand Weapon - 1575.83
Skinning - 1539.21
Appraisal - 1529.66
Slings - 1500.15
Staves - 1492.13
Crossbow - 1472.57
Brigandine - 1463.89
Inner Fire - 1445.14
Plate Armor - 1385.59
Augmentation - 1355.37
Tactics - 1327.28
Debilitation - 1303.52
Warding - 1229.72
Forging - 1164.32
Athletics - 1129.32
Scholarship - 833.60
Outdoorsmanship - 704.07
Locksmithing - 681.66
Arcana - 593.21
First Aid - 505.31
Performance - 408.55
Mechanical Lore - 358.31
Engineering - 284.61
Thievery - 258.30
Outfitting - 209.17
Alchemy - 112.40

Strength : 100 Reflex : 130
Agility : 115 Charisma : 105
Discipline : 120 Wisdom : 100
Intelligence : 105 Stamina : 100

Concentration : 617 Max : 617

Favors : 19
TDPs : 30421

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my TDPs away.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 06:53 PM CST
>>You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my TDPs away.<<

Hahaha.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 06:53 PM CST
>> Guess how many skills you need in order to RP in this RP game: 0.

While technically true it is disingenuous to say that skills and stats do not matter at all in the slightest in a MUD where mechanics and setting are presumably married to create a cohesive whole, in particular when you (general you) insist high stats only matter for PvP when roleplaying scenarios are exactly where you're going to find PvP.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:07 PM CST
<This is exactly what makes this game so clearly successful for so many varieties of personalities as being demonstrated in our inability to agree on a simple thing like TDPs 100% across the board with one another.>

I would definitely miss this aspect if it was removed somehow and everyone just had a single optimal build and way to train. If pvp was basically you're a 40th barb, oh I know exactly how to play against you. It doesn't matter what options you made training your character. You're just a 40th barb. If I can figure out how to beat one 40th barb I can beat them all the same way. I wonder if that could be a possibility?

I actually don't even care about PVP. People in this thread have claimed that stats do not matter for PVE but that's not accurate at all. I mean, mentals for one....Of course stats matter for other aspects than just PVP.

I'm not even that high circle but my total skill ranks is way above the average player of my circle. People here have claimed it will only hurt HLC but I don't think that's accurate either.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:08 PM CST
>>Pezzz's amazing DR winning stats

Out of morbid curiosity, is that a Prime or Fallen character? I'm nigh certain it isn't Plat, but I've been mistaken before.

- Anuind Silverspruce

Any drunken idiot can fall off a bar stool, a real man rides it to the ground.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:16 PM CST
All I know is that guy sucks at cookie-cutting because his crafts are not at level enough overall.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:19 PM CST
>> I would definitely miss this aspect if it was removed somehow and everyone just had a single optimal build and way to train.

I think there's room to alter the system to still provide incentives to train above and beyond guild requirements in terms of TDP gain without being as bad as it is now. I would be happy with a middle ground like that.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:20 PM CST
Uzmam - can you tell me what kind of stat contest I need to set someones hello kitty collection on fire? That's all I really care about.

Also, all this talk of cookies is making me hungry.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:25 PM CST
>> I need to set someones hello kitty collection on fire? That's all I really care about.

Fear vs Will

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:28 PM CST
>>Fear vs Will<<

When we all have the same stats, it will be awesome as we perpetually nullify one another!

Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:31 PM CST
Racial choices at end game actually matter more than anything because of the incredibly punitive cost associated with training a stat.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:32 PM CST
>>Racial choices are arguably meaningless at the end-game right now, because it costs all races the same number of TDPs to raise every stat to 100. (And based on my testing, race has almost no effect on post-100 stat costs.)<<

sorry to double post but this is so wrong it hurts all over.

Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 07:33 PM CST

I think its kinda funny that I am against this TDP thing even tho my main is probably the most min maxed player near 200th circle in game. I just dont like the shaft of people who put the work in.

Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 08:45 PM CST
>>Discoteq21: Racial choices at end game actually matter more than anything because of the incredibly punitive cost associated with training a stat.

>>Discoteq21: sorry to double post but this is so wrong it hurts all over.

The point I was trying to make is that race has a much lower effect on TDP cost past 100, proportionally speaking, than it does on stats up to 100.

It costs a human 1500 TDPs to raise one stat from 100 to 101. Having a modifier of +1 or -1 increased or decreased the TDP cost by 50 TDPs. That's just a 3% difference.

Now compare that to the cost of raising stats from 99 to 100. For a human, the cost is 297 TDPs. Having a +1 or -1 modifier increased or decreased the TDP cost by 49 TDPs. Proportionately, that is a much bigger difference of 16%.

But regardless of how you would characterize the magnitude of the effect of racial modifiers on post-100 stat training, it remains true that race is a nonfactor if the goal is to train all stats to 100, because the TDP cost is the same for all races when training stats evenly.

There are arguments you can make for leaving TDPs as they are. Encouraging diversity in skill and stat training, however, is not one of them.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladins: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

Armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 09:28 PM CST
IDK it all adds up.

Your base Agility is one hundred(100).
It will cost you 1500 TDPs to raise your Agility from 100 to 101.
Agility helps you hit with weapons, improves manual tasks such as skinning or disarming. It contributes to defensive Reflex contests, among other things.
Use INFO to view all your statistics at once.

Your base Strength is one hundred ten(110).
It will cost you 1485 TDPs to raise your Strength from 110 to 111.
Strength affects your roundtimes with weapons, how hard you hit, how much you can carry, It contributes to offensive Power and Fear contests and defensive Fortitude contests, among other things.
Use INFO to view all your statistics at once.

There is a lot of incentive for me to raise my racial bonus's. Keep in mind thats 110 v 100.

As easy as people seem to suggest TDP's are to come by its not THAT easy.

Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 09:33 PM CST

Again sorry for the double post.... but when your character is staring down mortality, I.E. you have limited TDPs left to gain you have to make hard choices. Eventually those post 100 stats cost too much too "train all" even via over training skills. Look I'm not going to pretend to know what the answer is for this particular game. I DO know that a lot of people are throwing around terrible ideas and suggestions and not examining the big picture.

I don't care whats suggested or implemented as long as a vast majority aren't screwed over in the process.

Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 09:55 PM CST

Oh Hi,

The bickering goes elsewhere. Address the points of a post without the snark at each other.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 09:57 PM CST
>PvP stuff

There are solid PvP-centric arguments in favor of defining "end game" (i.e. lowering skill and/or stat caps) depending on what the goal is. It's easier to balance around an end game (1750/200 isn't end game so much as what the system will support), there's more people to fight (yay), and it makes player skill matter more than character skill in addition to making stat decisions more meaningful. I mean, I can think of a number of times I've wished I could have a spar with people beneath or above my character(s), but they simply weren't a fair match.

This all assumes, of course, there's end game content. In other RPGs, that's usually gearing up and customizing your character to take down the biggest enemy. That's clearly not a thing in this game, so there'd have to be something else like new interactions with the game world (subsystems) unlocked at cap. I don't know what that means... Maybe quests to unlock powerful customizable traits or something, like, I dunno, innate resistance to certain damage types, hindrance reduction, weapon RT reduction or other ways of becoming more mighty outside ranks. Maybe new creatures that drop special rewards but require certain unlocked traits to hunt effectively? Stuff that only works on creatures, stuff that works on PCs... Just spitballing.

A little devil's advocate here, but it's worth talking about. Plus, I'm someone who's grown bored of the grind a number of times over the years, even though I'm not that interested in what happens with TDPs per se. Shiny toys usually bring me back, not ranks, and the community holds me when the new toys start to dull.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 10:18 PM CST
>>I just dont like the shaft of people who put the work in.

Losing some TDPs is not getting the shaft.

That is the entire problem with the argument against this change.

All those ranks will still do their primary purpose... which is to be better at using those skills.

Frankly the TDP gain is already broken based upon uneven skillsets. The guy who posted earlier is a perfect example. All his combats are ridiculous high... why? because you can train it all at the same time and they all give ridiculous amounts of TDPs compared to other skillsets. Double in most cases.

That NEEDS to be fixed for game balance. All skillsets should have the exact same TDP potential. There is no arguing it. "QQ I am used to how it is and I don't want to get used to something different!" is not a valid response. Nor is "I worked hard and made the best of a system even though it was clearly broken!" When it gets fixed... you don't get to be surprised. You know it isn't right. You were smart enough to see the advantage and make use of it. Don't play dumb when it eventually becomes time to fix it.

So yeah, the weapons skillset needs to not offer as many TDPs as it currently generates. If you have trained all weapons to 1750, you should lose TDPs because they should have never given as many as they did to begin with. It might suck, but taking advantage of broken systems usually does in the long term.

If it was equaled out, and each skillset gave 10 skills at 1750 ranks worth of TDPs that would be 76,606 per skillset. (as it is, weapons offers FAR more TDPs...) that would be a step in the right direction. But still doesn't really work because armor is so much smaller than the rest. So if you go with a top 3, you can still get that same amount of TDPs, but from a smaller pool. So top 3 in a skillset would still earn you that 76,606. It wouldn't change much, beyond lowering the amount that weapons currently gives -- which it should have never given to begin with.

The only thing that any changes like this fix is that weapons flat out gives too many TDPs. It is broken, poorly balanced and it screams for a fix.
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 10:27 PM CST
Throughout this argument I've been agreeing with Warb's posts the most. I feel like maybe I'm more used to this sort of thing because I've played enough MMOs outside of DR where level caps(actual designed level caps not system caps) and numbers resets(through gear) factor more frequently than it has in DR and I think my general feeling toward the TDP change is this:

If someone told me that the time that I spent backtraining weapons, armor, and just training my character in general for the past 13 years off and on were going to be "wasted"(we do love to exaggerate when it comes to changes in this game)but I could be playing a more inclusive and balanced game, one that allows GMs to actually plan around a designed range and doesn't make me feel like I need to put more time in than anything else in my life...

I'd take those 13 years around back and shoot it myself.

Just as Warb said I'm in the PVP camp where even at my middling level of skill it's a ridiculous pain to find a fair match. I don't hold animosity over people that have put more time in or people that have put less. The only thing I care about and that I'm surprised other PVP people don't care about is having a greater number of people to fight where it can be designed so that player skill is the much greater defining reason for a win versus time invested.

And on the PVE side we've already seen possibilities of an end game that can be designed in the duskruin that just passed. It was fun and challenging to kill things for tangible rewards and forced people in different guilds to consider strategies for killing things that they hadn't actually thought to use much previously like thieves getting much more use out of their ignite ability in order to beat the timer. DR can definitely become a much more interesting game if we cull past terrible design decisions that hinder balance and have created x year long gaps between players.

As a player of way too many games, just as annoying as it is when people don't want to put time/effort into their character's results, it's similarly as much a pain to deal with when people feel like the time they've chosen to invest is sacred and untouchable.

Just like us players, the GMs have spent years both as players and on the dev side in DR. That time is just as important to them so we can probably pull back the outrage and know that our investment is being considered when designing a new system.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 12:34 AM CST
<Losing some TDPs is not getting the shaft.

That is the entire problem with the argument against this change.

All those ranks will still do their primary purpose... which is to be better at using those skills.>

How exactly is losing TDPs not a shaft? Just because we didn't also lose versatility doesn't mean that losing TDPs is not hurting you.

That's like me kicking you in the shin and then saying well at least I didn't also kick you in the face.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 12:37 AM CST
It is legitimate and fair to be upset if you do end up losing TDPs due to an adjustment. (Nobody knows that anyone will be losing TDPs yet. The opposite may happen for a great many people.)

It would benefit the thread as a whole most likely if people avoided terms like "waste of time" or implied that the training of those ranks was utterly pointless or that they, personally, are experiencing the equivalent of Armifer beaming down into their house and beating them senseless with a frozen trout.

Thayet

Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 01:25 AM CST
'getting the shaft' implies that you are getting totally screwed over and it is completely unfair.

This isn't that at all. The primary point in leveling those skills remains, to get better at those skills.

The secondary benefit, TDPs, is what is being brought into balance.

If you use any critical thinking skills at all... regardless of how much time you feel you might have wasted (which you didn't).. the way it is now is unbalanced for the game as a whole. If you step back out of your personal perspective, and try to look at it objectively... there is no arguing that TDP generation is unbalanced, and arguing that it isn't just shows your bias.

It is really simple. There are 18 weapon skills. There are 6 armor skills. The other skillsets are all around 9-10. For a game that is balanced around the skillsets and how fast they learn, giving 1 skillset almost double (in the case of armor triple) the amount of TDPs is flat out broken.

You can say whatever you want, but that is bad design and it needs to be fixed.

Without inflating the armor skillset (and the others) with skills just so that they balance out with weapons, it means at a minimum they need to reduce the the number of skills that can generate TDPs to 6. And honestly, even that is still bad design because 'good' play shouldn't involve wearing all armor types JUST to gain TDPs.

Can you at least see that? Regardless of the QQ over supposed time wasted.. can you objectively look at that and provide a reason why from a game designers stand point that is a good thing? You can't, because it is flat out bad design, old design, and part of the process of trying to update a 20 year old game.

It is a change in an MMO. Things change in games. It is how it goes. Acting like it is some huge thing that is going to ruin your experience is just ridiculous. 12 years olds act like that in WoW when their class that they picked because it is FotM, got nerfed. We should be acting better.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 01:36 AM CST
It would also benefit this thread if people quit responding to those concerns with "Well, you still have your ranks". It only serves to ignore and invalidate those concerns. I do agree that there is nothing more to be said on either side until Armifer shares more information.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 02:03 AM CST
> If someone told me that the time that I spent backtraining weapons, armor, and just training my character in general for the past 13 years off and on were going to be "wasted"(we do love to exaggerate when it comes to changes in this game)but I could be playing a more inclusive and balanced game, one that allows GMs to actually plan around a designed range and doesn't make me feel like I need to put more time in than anything else in my life...

> I'd take those 13 years around back and shoot it myself.

Wow, Esmian. That whole post was really well said.

I think most of us could agree, if we step back, that if we were designing the system from scratch we probably wouldn't want it designed this way. The only question that remains, for me, is if change can be executed in a way that also takes reasonable steps towards fairness to the people who have trained every weapon for all these years.

- Saragos
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 02:29 AM CST
I thought I gave a pretty viable solution honestly lol. There wasn't even any snark involved.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 06:30 AM CST
>>If you step back out of your personal perspective, and try to look at it objectively... there is no arguing that TDP generation is unbalanced, and arguing that it isn't just shows your bias.<<

Statements like this are part of the problem. Maybe you need to take a step back and realize you are no better in regard to bias.

>>It is really simple. There are 18 weapon skills. There are 6 armor skills. The other skillsets are all around 9-10. For a game that is balanced around the skillsets and how fast they learn, giving 1 skillset almost double (in the case of armor triple) the amount of TDPs is flat out broken.<<

Everyone has access to them. Everyone keeps using the blanket statement HLC, so I am going to use that as my measuring stick of whom everyone is. Also, there were more weapon and armor skills and less magic skills. If there is a silent jab at barbarians, keep in mind we can only train 4 magic skills total.

>>You can say whatever you want, but that is bad design and it needs to be fixed.<<

A "bad design" that has an insane amount of the population hooked for over 20 years. It's a design a lot of people like about this game. Just because you don't like it/agree with it doesn't make it bad.

Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 07:11 AM CST

Hi.

Figure out a way to express your own opinion in a constructive manner without the overly aggressive attack on other posters.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 07:12 AM CST
>A "bad design" that has an insane amount of the population hooked for over 20 years. It's a design a lot of people like about this game. Just because you don't like it/agree with it doesn't make it bad.

Really (and as has sort of been pointed out) TDP generaiton wasn't such a bad design before the earlier removal of overall state of mind coupled with the more recent removal of the mindlock learning efficiency bonus cut out the opportunity costs for generating TDPs. For about half of DR's lifespan there were reasons not to gain all the TDPs.

Of course the early design didn't account for character higher than level 30 so the TDP numbers and stat growth model (or lack therof) does get kind of intrinsically wacky in the modern DR.

Maybe TDPs all day everyday really is a better game? It certainly sounds like it is the only game for many DR players.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 07:28 AM CST
>>Maybe TDPs all day everyday really is a better game? It certainly sounds like it is the only game for many DR players. <<

It sounds like your gripe is with something other than just TDPs, but you haven't outright said it.

I train skills to be good at them. I do happen to also like rewards! :) TDPs are nice little side rewards. Not much else is unlocked with more skill after a very low point, other than just being able to tackle more difficult tasks (example crafting) or hunting grounds. But the tackling more difficult things is always just a means to an end: to keep skills gaining.

I, personally, would be fine with circle granted stat points (all the way to circle cap) and removal of TDPs if gaining ranks unlocked more cool things.

Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 07:37 AM CST
I think Warb and Esmian sum up how I feel about this.

If more people are willing to PvP because it's easier to be competitive, if it's possible to train awhile then break to RP without falling behind because there's no TDP benefit to stretching to cover every skill, that all seems great to me even if I lose some relative position.

Mazrian
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 07:41 AM CST
I think I'm indifferent between changing the way TDPs are granted and using stats (or skills for that matter) logarithmicly so that the extra benefit of having higher numbers is less.

Mazrian
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 09:23 AM CST
I'll take trying to get 1500+ ranks and an extra 10000 faux ranks and TDPs, respectively, beyond some cap if it unlocks a new hunting ground with creatures who drop stuff like magical devices or give special skins that be made into unique weapons/armor wearable only by people with 1500+ and 10000 faux ranks and TDPs. Hell, make them drop lots of money and then add a huge monetary cost to unlocking the new toys. Maybe, faux ranks could still be made to bonus some stuff, like attunement size; maybe add unlockable faux-rank-based maneuvers? Those are just examples, of course, but I'll take that any day over chasing a non-existent end game. It still affords the prestige of reaching the upper echelons of DR and the fun of chasing goals. Plus, more tangible rewards. What do you lose? The ability to obliterate people? Meh.

There are other intangible positives to a move like this, too. For instance, I'd imagine that would make it easier to segment and manage development. Whatever team currently creates new creatures and quests and events (forgive my ignorance on this) can be heavily involved in creating the rewards for end game, while the magic/abilities team could focus on magic/abilities up to end game while the combat team could implement stuff without the worry of high rank players breaking the game, etc.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 09:56 AM CST
>>Just as Warb said I'm in the PVP camp where even at my middling level of skill it's a ridiculous pain to find a fair match. I don't hold animosity over people that have put more time in or people that have put less. The only thing I care about and that I'm surprised other PVP people don't care about is having a greater number of people to fight where it can be designed so that player skill is the much greater defining reason for a win versus time invested.

I don't PvP in DR, almost entirely due to the barrier to entry. It may not even be the majority of PvP players, but I don't understand their exclusionary nature. We have a small community compared to other MMOs as is, so if you're into something like PvP, which inherently requires at least one other player to fight against, the absolute best thing would be to increase the number of participants. Reduce the barrier to entry, narrow mechanical variances at the different tiers of play, widen the pool of possible participants. As more players get involved, now development time is warranted and maybe PvP can stop being an afterthought.
Re: Development update request 02/18/2016 11:26 AM CST
<If more people are willing to PvP because it's easier to be competitive, if it's possible to train awhile then break to RP without falling behind because there's no TDP benefit to stretching to cover every skill, that all seems great to me even if I lose some relative position.

The people that PVP will PVP regardless of changes. I don't really see this changing anything in those regards. Sure maybe they will for a little bit, but that will die off.

>Just as Warb said I'm in the PVP camp where even at my middling level of skill it's a ridiculous pain to find a fair match. I don't hold animosity over people that have put more time in or people that have put less. The only thing I care about and that I'm surprised other PVP people don't care about is having a greater number of people to fight where it can be designed so that player skill is the much greater defining reason for a win versus time invested.

Fair more or less boils down to guild strengths vs another guild a lot of times. Not just stat investment. Do stats help, yeah, should time and effort be rewarded, yeah. If you want to be good at what your strengths are its feasible without training everything. Will your stats ALL be high and well rounded, no, but sometimes that doesn't really matter when your good at what you need to be. This probably applies moreso to the 0-1250 rank range though, approaching max ranks in most defenses and applicable offenses, probably changes things up a bit.