Prev_page Previous 1
Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 11:33 AM CST
So it's been a week now since the end of Cross into Shadows, and some of the dust has begun to settle. Now is about that time I go hunting for some feedback, good and bad. So please reply back to this post, or if you wish you can even just send me an email at GS4-KENSTROM@PLAY.NET

Please be as honest as you can. I listen and take notes from all of these feedback posts, because I never take it personal. We're all here to have fun, and we love the game. No one will have it right, all of the time, so by knowing what you liked, and what you didn't like, and why, helps me to find ways to keep up the good, and adjust the bad. So I appreciate your time on this, and your opinions, and like I said, I equally value the positive and negative feedback, so long as it's constructive and not just trolling, hah. I need to know what worked, and why, so I can make that type of stuff even better, and I need to know what didn't work for you, and why, so we can address that as well.

I'm going to ask a series of questions, both about Chapter 4 of Cross into Shadows, and then about the entire storyline in general. Thanks everyone!

* What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

* What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

* What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

* What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

* What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?

* Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?

* Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?

* Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?

* Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?

* What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)

* General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 01:04 PM CST
* What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

Reading about it was very interesting.

* What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

I can only read about a storyline this cool because I play Platnium.

* What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

It sounded really epic.

* What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

It wasn't in Platinum.

* What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?

As a player my most memorable moment was logging onto my old sorcerer just long enough to remember I hate playing him now because I almost wanted to participate in a real story bad enough to give up my beloved Platinum characters. As a character I've got nothing.

* Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?

No but as a player I've grown more disillusioned.

* Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?

It provided a lot of forum entertainment for me.

* Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?

I'll be hunting OTF for the billionth time while nothing memorable goes on in Platinum.

* Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?

I prefer longer, epic storylines but we don't have them in Platinum.

* What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others?

Evenings EST, in Platinum... Come play with us.

Kenstrom for Platinum Guru?

Keith/Brinret/Shiun... Mostly joking

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 01:39 PM CST
Alrighty.. per requested here are my answers :)

It kept me busy with plenty of undead and demons to battle. Every part of the story, even parts I wasn't involved in, I enjoyed because of the people and the GM support to make things come into play to keep the story moving and fun.

The only two things I can suggest (not so much dislike) were the long hours on end as usually I'm ready to fall hard into bed by 11:30 / midnight Central time. Otherwise the only other suggestion / discouragement is that not everybody can hit demons. Granted, I have a demon bane axe and other folks have demon bane / 8x weapons but I never heard anything of a suggestion for a bane potion for demons that would work similar to the pure potions allowing weapons to hit undead unless they have some other special ability that neglects it.

They were well thought / plotted out and I enjoyed being able to catch visions, and what GM players would say when their texts are in yellow vs normal. The storyline itself - it was very entertaining and fun all around.

The only thing I didn't like too much were when story lines went beyond 12am, however; I was always ready when announced with enough time to plan to take a nap.

Ronan's shrine being destroyed then the fixing of the altar with a new flame atop the altar. The visions from Ronan, the story of Sir Davard (Which I was planning on trying to rescue him as my paladin disagreed with the punishment. But sinceI had accidently slept through it, I never got a chance to try), finding more Ronanites and sharing stories with them... meeting Gliss, the gatherings at the steps.. Xayle messing with us.. I can go on and on.. even the shivers/whispers I receive randomly from being in the Shadow Realm are fun oocly. I think my most fun and favorite of the whole storyline was getting turned into a kobold and then turned again to a kobold on Halloween and then New Years Eve ;)

He is wiser, trained more, and still devout as ever. He just wishes he could soon hear from Ronan and Chaeye soon and possibly begin taking the step to reclaim Ronan's temple in Ronan's name.

Easily. However; I still found a balance between assignments and gametime and thus thankful most important plots occurred at night.

Absolutely. Arkati (especially Ronan) keep me interested.. even just fighting evil as that would be with Ronan would want done.

It just depends on the storyline.. if it makes sense on the nature of the storyline then my god.. make it take the time it needs. If it makes more sense to be 3/6 months then let it do so instead of just dragging out. The Cross into Shadows is an excellent example of 12+ months needed as you don't just confront a god like being and just make him disappear. :)

* What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)

Usually between 7pm and 12AM and sometimes during the day (just depends on what's going on but right now that's a luxery so I don't count on it)

I'm just waiting on the aftermath and hoping something can catch my attention although I'll likely be hunting in the Rift when not at the Shrine of Dreams less I catch wind of something. One still very loose end is Athamael and the stolen book from the Hall of Mages I might add so we don't forget.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!
* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 02:07 PM CST
<What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

My favorite thing was the multitude of events that seemed to be happening at the same time. It gave characters with different opinions and beliefs an opportunity to participate, sometimes with and sometimes against each other.

<What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

I didn't have any real dislikes. The only thing I would have liked to see was a bit more coverage and detail about the Wastewalker. That really interested me, but I understand that there wasn't time to flesh out everything that we saw or experienced; and who knows, we might get to see him/her/it again on down the road.

<What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

I liked how it tied together with the older related storylines over the past 4 years or so. There was also no shortage of information, either recorded or via characters willing to share what they knew in-game, so my return to storyline gaming was much easier than I thought it would be.

<What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

The only thing I don't like is that it's over, well, sort of.

<What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?

Phever's abduction and sebsequent scarring and then her healing by Teuriz are the events that stick out most in my mind as a player. The birth of the Magi in Mestanir will also be a great memory for me personally. For my character, it was definitely the war with Talador that really let me bring him out of his self imposed exile and allowed me to finally start on the road to making him who and what I always wanted him to become.

<Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?

Radeek has definitely grown, but I'm not sure it's for the better. He's realized his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness, and that weakness can be exploited to great effect.

<Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?

It kept me very engaged, from the time of my return at the end of Chapter one right to the end. I also found it very nice that an NPC might come around and tell us that "in three days time, such and such is going to happen". This gave us as players an opportunity to plan ahead and perhaps take that nap to get us through the later than normal evening.

<Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?

I will stay involved. While I love the storylines, it's the other players I've met that will keep me playing. I only hope they stay around as well, and for the same reason.

<Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?

I like both and each has their place. To me CiS was more a bunch of shorter storylines all rolled up in one big saga. It seemed like no event lasted much over a week and even during the long events, like the war with Talador, something else would happen, or something new would come about in conjunction with an existing event. I liked that aspect of it, it kept me from becoming bored.

<What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)

East coast time for me, although for the most part the later start times weren't a huge deal for me.

<General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

The NPC's to me are what made this storyline. Some I loved to hate, and others I hated to love, and a lot of them fell somewhere in the middle. I used to be a huge fan of storylines, over all, both long and short; I believe that they give the game a "feel" that I don't get during the day to day game experience. However, over the years I became very disenchanted with them, so much so that I rarely logged in and when I did I never participated. CiS changed all that for me; it made me wish I had been involved from the very beginning of the four part saga.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 02:23 PM CST
I would also like to add, in regards to this:

<What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

Inclusion, inclusion, inclusion...this was my pet peeve for years and this story-line proved, beyond the Shadow of a doubt (get it? he he) that anyone that wished to can be included. This was, by far, my favorite part of the entire thing, and the credit for that goes to GM's AND players alike for putting forth the effort to make it happen.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 03:01 PM CST

I liked a lot of stuff, but I think my favorite aspect of it was its scope. The storyline may have been focused on the Landing, but it touched everywhere, and it was inclusive enough to let people jump in and take part. I also liked that it was all painted in grays; aside from the very last days of the battle, it wasn't just another story of brave heroes saving the world from ultimate evil, and that stayed true throughout the last chapter. Loved the NPCs who had prominent roles in the last chapter, particularly Stone and Aralyte.

I touched on this in another post, but if there was a weak point, I believe it was the sense during some portions of the final conflict that it was out of our characters' hands. It may not have been true, and we may have played important roles in weakening Althedeus or Elithain Cross, but because it was so carefully orchestrated, it felt a bit more like a play than like roleplay, albeit one with a lot of audience participation. I also wanted some kind of cataclysm to happen that would give us some new ruin or volcano or valence to explore, but that's just because I'm spoiled and awful. :)

I loved how involved everyone got in this, including the GMs. It was wonderful to see how attentive you were to characters' personal stories, actions and reactions, and just watching others be a part of this same sweeping story arc gave me some fascinating insight into their characters. I didn't know Stormyrain was learning blood magic or that Cruxophim had a sister or that Rowmi is vehemently against the concept of imprisonment. Learning about other characters and about GM-run PCs has been so much fun. The factions that evolved and shifted throughout the story arc were also great to see and be a part of, even if I sometimes got worried that some of Lylia's best friends were on the Cross side of the fence. That's all just the bit that I saw since coming back last May or so; there was so much more I didn't get to see.

Loved the small-scale roleplay whenever it happened -- the time you sent ants and Zombie-Silvean after a small group of us, helping Stone with his alchemical formulas (NOT RECIPES, I know now!), Pylasar and the larvae, that kind of thing.

Oh, and I also liked the mechanics of invasions that stationed weaker things close to town and tougher things farther afield so people could go out and find their appropriate level of face-eating monster to battle. That's great for low-level people who would get massacred in a full-on invasion but still want to participate.

Hmm...I was going to say it was tough to follow such long, winding stories for so long, but that's realistic; people living through historic events don't know all about everything, not with their ground-level view of history. It makes sense that my character wouldn't be aware of every little twist and turn. The only times I felt frustrated were when I ran up against mechanics issues -- people e-waving and imploding crowds when no one could do anything about it, not being able to catch Cross' followers when they went after the guard towers, that kind of thing. I also found some of the more stage-managed events less engaging than the ones that were a little looser and more free-form. I also find certain monsters super-frustrating as a sorcerer, so when invasions had a bunch of stone gargoyles and voidlings and such, it was pretty much time to log until it was done.

Going to raid Lord Winter's mansion was certainly a high point. The battle at Mestanir was memorable too, although I don't know that I'd call that a high point; I actually teared up a little at parts of that because I am a big weepy softie. Davard's trial was a lot of fun too. Oh, and in one of the big invasion waves, I didn't die! That was pretty memorable.

Very much so. I learned she's a lot tougher than I originally imagined her to be, but also a bit more brittle. She's also much more of a political creature than she was back in the day, and she's increasingly interested in temporal power as well as the sorcerous kind. The three fixed points of her moral compass are as steady as ever, but to my surprise, she cares more about the common folk of the Landing than I thought she did -- even the orphans. (It really helps that Surofee is a great character and that y'all do a wonderful job of playing charming urchins. Who wouldn't love 'em?) She's definitely wiser now than she was when she came back a few months ago.

Yes!

Yes! All of it keeps me interested. Invasions, especially when the invaders don't have ridiculously high TDs. New temporary zones to explore. Complex plots. RP with fellow players who enjoy playing out juicy conflicts or plots or communions or kidnappings or just about anything. RP with GM-run characters who roast my arms off in white-hot fires. It's all good.

Can I say both? I like smaller stories that interleave to form a larger story arc. Bringing threads from past stories forward into current ones gives the world a sense of continuity that makes it unlike anything else in gaming. At the same time, introducing new material makes story arcs accessible anywhere along the line in ways that a monolithic novel of a tale wouldn't be.

My hours are flexible, but they're less flexible than they once were. Early evening to late evening and even a fair bit past midnight Central time works for me.

I've come back after about 14 years away, and I love what you've done with the place. I'm having so much fun being back, and it hasn't stopped yet. Thank you!
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 03:11 PM CST
<<* What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

I personally liked the diversity of the character base that got (and remained) involved in this part. There were people from all walks of life immersing their characters into various parts of the storyline. I love this, as a player. I tend to not want to get involved when it’s just the “good guys” or “bad guys” running the show. This chapter continued what I loved most of all- a continual running commentary of good, bad and neutral. It was inclusionary, for anyone who wanted to get involved.

<<* What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

I am an east coast person. During the week, I’m up VERY early for work. I hated having to miss things (some important, some not) because of my old-lady bedtime. However, the players made a point of posting both IC and OOC summaries on the boards, and THANK YOU all for doing that. It helped immensely with letting those of us who couldn’t be there still somehow feel connected. And, Kenstrom generally having game changing things happen on the weekends helped. A lot.

<<* What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

First and foremost, the people I met along the way. I’d come back to the game in September, testing the waters, after a few year absence. It was the storyline with Rinhale, and then Talador, that convinced me to stay. The people I met in The Bitter Bite were wonderful, and the situation gave me the opportunity to start thinking, really thinking, about my character again.

Also, and I can’t stress this enough, this was the first time I actually felt that what my character did, and said, had an effect on the storyline. (Both good and bad!) It was amazing to really feel as if I was a part of the story, rather than someone watching a storyline unfold and simply be a spectator. This, Kenstrom, was magic.

I also really, really appreciated the variety of “little moments” that were given to so many players. I don’t know how you did it, but I think you really went out of your way (and by you, I mean all of the GM’s who were involved in this storyline in any capacity) to make many people happy/angry/shadowed/confused/etc. Honestly, I said this already, but I have to say it again- I don’t know how you all managed to do it so well.

<<* What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

I can’t say there’s much, other than the lack of sleep, and “missing” things. But, again, players and GM’s were really great about keeping things moving on the boards.

I’d love to see consequences for some of these actions we’ve taken, but- that’s probably coming. Be careful what you wish for, and all that.

<<* What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?

Talador, for me, was the “beginning” of my character re-thinking who she really was (and who she’s really been, all along).

The assault on Elithain Cross’s house was one of those love/hate moments for me. It was spectacular. And it was one of the most frustrating things I (the player) have done.

The angst I (me! the player!) had after the Cosima debacle. There was some real frustration on my part figuring out how to deal with that mess.

All the intrigue. My character loves the intrigue.

<<* Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?

I don’t even know where to begin here. It’s this entire storyline that helped my character become the Bekke that she is now.

The storyline has made her (a little!) more open, more accepting, and less cautious with people. There are many, many more she would call “friend” than before, and does not have to spend the majority of her time hiding and/or talking to the cat.

And, then, of course, the night in Idolone, fighting Cross by unraveling one of his own doings, if only for a brief time.. using everything she’d ever learned, and everything she ever believed in for one brief moment of perfection? Come on. I’ll never forget that night. My character is now ORANGE (to quote Ephya)- and I need all new clothes. So literally and figuratively, I'll never forget that night. :)

<<* Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?

Totally. I’ll never catch up on all that lost sleep. There were mornings I tried logging onto my work system with my Play.Net information. Ridiculous.

<<* Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?

Yes. Bekke has already started her own little "CiS the Aftermath" scheming and plotting. She loves that intrigue.

<<* Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?

I absolutely loved this long storyline, and agree with someone who said earlier that it was one long storyline made up of many smaller parts. It was the first time I’d ever been involved in something this long, and that’s even with a break. I’d been around a few years back when Brinn and Cryheart were hanged, and when Stone sent all those women into the Portal of Doom. I was much more tentative, then, however, even though Bekke stormed the museum to reason with Stone. It was well done, in that I felt anyone could come in, and pick at least a “piece” of what was going on, at any point.

Let’s do it again!

<<* What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)

Early evening during the week. I’m generally out by 10 EST. Weekends are much easier.

<<* General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

Allowing the players to, by their actions, or lack thereof, steer the storyline? Amazing.
And, to the GM NPC’s out there, keep it up. You all were integral to this story. Please, please don’t stop.

Thank you.

Christine and Bekke.

Oh, and Bekke says, "Any protectorate, by definition, is weakened of its sovereignty."
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 03:58 PM CST

I loved the suspense and build up to the last Chapter, and not knowing what would happen with my character when he got marked by the shadow, who I might have to betray, etc, etc.

Its hard to narrow my list down enough to not make this post pages long, but I think my favorite things about the storyline are the locales, mestanir, the swale, idolone, wyrdeep forest, the demonwall, I even loved rp'ing about not liking to enter the deadfall forest. The areas even if accessible for a limited time gave the chance for alot of people to develop their character's back story.

I confess I am almost always disappointed when a good story ends, and I really liked that this story line, was open ended enough for me to have some flexibility in how my character will choose to react to events. I liked the battle reports and being able to visit the various fronts, it made it feel much bigger than just a landing issue.

I think the use of temporary areas that allowed players to feel like they were battling on any front of the war they chose was really great, but I disliked that there weren't many such areas for folks aligned with the bad guys, outside of chastonians and I guess the hendorians out on the glacier. I would have loved a way to do my part for the Cross war front, in a way that didn't have to involve CvC conflict, maybe next time we could have a krolvin ship we could defend from landing militia, or something.

I loved the chance to be on the wrong side of things, but didn't feel my schedule gave me a very good chance of giving it my best performance. I am generally around quite a bit earlier than Kenstrom and I felt like alot of my efforts went unnoticed, I had one interaction around 5pm one day with I think Mikos on the demonwall but that was the only thing I remember happening before sunset. By the time most storyline stuff happened i was there pretty much in spirit only, cause my brain was generally too sleepy and slow to keep up with the pace of the discussions/events. Much less try and contribute substantively with tones, and directed speech, just not gonna happen for me at 1am. I generally resorted to ic posts on the forums to make the points I really felt were important, and that seemed to be far more effective than me in game efforts.

I really liked the character glimpses we got throughout the storyline, I like to think of Archales as part of a world filled with other people who do all sorts of things during the times we aren't battling evil to save the world. The story line did an excellent job of reinforcing that belief for me in a variety of ways. I also really liked all the twists and turns and side plots, it let me enjoy the story line in its entire arc, but still participate in more of an ala carte fashion. I liked the special missions for various factions.

I disliked that alot of the side plots that interested me the most (the talador mines, shadowguard, the allies of Cross adventures) weren't as fleshed out as others imho, but that's largely luck of the draw. Having said that, when a story line is this epic and draws in so many GMs its hard not to feel like yer on the outside looking in if you are based in another town. But I'm a citizen of Cysaegir, we're used to being overlooked.

I also disliked not being able to do anything acceptable to try and prevent people from shooting down airships, or killing the chimera I killed, or healing phever taking spirit from those present from the original blood letting ceremony(not that I would have necessarily would have tried, but I didn't see any options at the time to even attempt it convincingly). Or that the bad guy missions were apparently better understood by the defenders than by those on the actual mission, see ending up in prison, or any of the information leaked about the ceremonies, i would have liked a bit more suspended disbelief and more feigned ignorance/secrecy about the events, given how taboo they were seen as being at the time.

Walkar was the only Jantalarian that died.

Highlghts in no particular order,the lich town under the landing, the fall of shadowguard, finding the bodies under the gryphon holding, kidnapping Cosima, the evil gnome Gresvith in river's rest, the assasination at the talador coronation, the earl of chastonia's assasination, tayeros getting offed, the hendorians being tricked into letting Stephos go free, and of course the citizens turning on the vornavian ships at the docks.

I haven't decided if Archales has grown from this experience yet, he certainly found out that trying to change the balance of power can result in something arguably even worse than where you started. I spent alot of time trying to make sure I covered up his scarring and deal with the shadows, but I might have been a bit too subtle in how I did it, because pretty much nothing came of the marking, and now the shadows and cross are gone. So lots of ways to spin it, but he hasn't decided if its really changed him yet.

I was already terrifically addicted to the game, this was just one more convenient reason for me not to go hunting, and spend time lurking around Landing.

See above

I like storylines of all kinds, but I think any storyline I am centrally figured in should be 6 - 12+ months, and all others should be 3 - 6months, but I'm a bard, we like the limelight. But seriously I think there should be 2 or 3 smaller storylines going at any given time, in addition to 1 longer story line.

I try to make myself available for story line stuff, but my usual bed time is someplace between 12:30 and 2:00am est but generally I get on early afternoon around 3 or 4 and will play until about 7 then take a break until around 10:30 or 11pm and will stay on til I get too sleepy to read. I would love to see more daytime hours love.

I love seeing this level of creativity from players and GMs alike, I would love to see energy spread around a bit more, I love the landing, but I love other places in Elanthia even more and I'd love to see something as great as CiS happen there too one day.

Archales
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 04:57 PM CST
What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

I particularly liked the gradual changes in atmospheric messaging as the situation grew more and more dire - sure, they repeated themselves an awful lot, but they were a good touchpoint to remind ourselves that the multiple planes of existence were kinda coming apart on us. I also really enjoyed how epic the final Imperial battles felt and how every portal closure had its own unique flavor.

What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

The level of exhaustion that kind of washed over the entire playerbase (which I'll elaborate on, a few questions down) and how the story kind of lost some coherency in its final stages. It was uncomfortably obvious in spots that narrative corners were being cut for the sake of an efficient finish, and that kind of poured gasoline on player fatigue. Entirely understandable, considering! But also kind of a bummer, all the same.

What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

I loved the level of individual attention and how easy it was to get involved or stand out in a crowd of dozens. I loved how evenly spread everything seemed to be across the various groups: the Gryphons and the Imperials, Sarvia and her blood mages, Greg and the LDI, Turin and the Crosslings, Crux and the Shadowsworn, even fringe characters like Hapenlok - everyone who put real effort in seemed to get a turn. So many participants got a Moment, and the GMs were so responsive to e-mails and mychars and so often helped shape those Moments into something special.

What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

The length. By Thanksgiving-ish even I was wearing out, and I've only been around since summer. Story burnout, which I mentioned a few questions up, had built up to pretty insane levels among some of the older players, which often meant I'd get excited about what I thought was a new and interesting plot twist... and everyone else had been there, done that, and was kinda exasperated. It let the air out of my sails more than once, but I totally get where they're coming from: they were worn out and hungry for some kind of resolution.

What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?

I feel like I should mention the Lylia/Crux ritual with Koar and the marking, or the marathon two hour Sevynne torture scene, but really I enjoyed the five minutes you let me up on that stupid chimera more than anything else I've ever done in GS. That was hilarious.

Aiska, the character, was hit hard by the Cosima debacle. It was the first time the horrors of war had a face attached to it, and the first time that she recognized that her actions could have unexpected and unwanted outcomes. These days, she takes time to turn matters over in her head, and is less afraid to question orders or find creative loopholes - even if those orders come from Bristenn.

Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?

I hit the grid in the middle of the Taladorian War and Aiska was entirely shaped by the events of Chapters 2, 3, and 4. In the beginning, I imagined her as this skinny little hellraiser with a big honking axe, plunging into bloodbaths and cackling wildly all the while - and well, that part has more or less remained in place. Her pivot back toward the Empire and subsequent squirehood were far from my original vision of her, and it's been a challenge for me as a player to maintain those conceptual elements I enjoy while still convincingly portraying someone who is expected to behave with a degree of decorum.

As tensions have mounted between Landing and the Imperials, there's been a slow, steady change in Aiska that has surprised me greatly: how observant she is, how badly she wants to understand all of the political nuance, and how much questioning she's doing about her place in it all. She's shockingly aware that she's an ambassador of sorts, and very earnestly endeavors to be the change she wishes to see in the Empire. She wants to be the best possible foot the Sun Throne can put forward.

Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?

There is a strong chance I would have quit if I hadn't been involved in CIS.

Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?

I've actually been thinking about the months to come, because once guildmastering and capping are out of the way? By summer, I'll have very little to occupy my interest in GS. Gonna have to kinda feel things out.

Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?

Smaller. I come from a game where 3-4 monthers are the norm, and have about 1-2 month breaks in between. An 8-monther nearly caused a player revolt. I'm not sure how I would've handled CIS had I been here from beginning to end.

What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others?

I was PST until around a month ago, and am now CST. I'm usually free weekday evenings after about 7 CST and flexible on weekends, depending on my social calendar.

General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

I'm very grateful to both the players and GMs for their open-armed welcome of me, which can be difficult in these older games with such entrenched populations. There have been very, very few interactions and events that left me with a bad taste in my mouth - overall, my experience with CIS was an extremely positive one. It has been a pleasure and a privilege to share this story with you guys, and I hope each of you know that I am happy to play in any story or scenario your imaginations can cook up. Thank you.

[LNet]-GSIV:Rhaz: "Aiska needs to come with a warning label"
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 05:01 PM CST
>>I think the use of temporary areas that allowed players to feel like they were battling on any front of the war they chose was really great, but I disliked that there weren't many such areas for folks aligned with the bad guys, outside of chastonians and I guess the hendorians out on the glacier. I would have loved a way to do my part for the Cross war front, in a way that didn't have to involve CvC conflict, maybe next time we could have a krolvin ship we could defend from landing militia, or something.

This is one area I saw an immediate thing that needed to be fixed, but sadly in the time frame allowed, it couldn't be. Part of the problem was, when I went about some plotting, I had underestimated the amount of people who would take oaths to Cross. So while we did get to run some nice missions, etc, I would have really loved to make some more areas in the Empire, accessible to Cross oathers. Then I would have taken measures to kind of keep those same oathers out of the good guy territory, so to speak. It's something I will address for the future I hope, since I'm all about "sides" and apparently pitting you all up against each other.

>>around 5pm one day with I think Mikos on the demonwall but that was the only thing I remember happening before sunset.

With the demon raising you, and marking you? Yeah that was me, while I was playing while at work, haha. Unfortunately nothing else more came of it because of our schedules, but who knows...perhaps something still may in the future. There is that old demon Wastewalker who just helped topple a section of the Demonwall...

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 06:54 PM CST
>>What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

I returned to the game after 15+ years away and it was quite a pleasant shock to find accessible, thoughtful, and detailed storylines. I liked that the weather changed so I could look for action since virtually no one knew Katie to invite her along. I appreciated that there were a number of players who actively encouraged inclusiveness.

>>What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

I returned to the game after 15+ years away and it was quite an overwhelming shock to have so much to catch up on. I still don't know what half of Katie's spells do, am horribly clueless about any number of mechanical changes, half the geography of the world was brand new to me, and the sheer volume of backstory was intimidating - especially since it was not a black/white good/evil story. This is an observation not a complaint--the story is more compelling with the shades of grey. But I was completely lost on what the heck was going on for quite some time!

>>What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

I only saw the last two-three months. I adored the pylons. I liked the diversity of the events - some focused on community or characters (the Arkati love-in, the Walkar-Kiske saga, Phever's restoration), others were quest-like (charging up the Reach, the attempts to save Mestanir), some were intended to cause discord and increase tension/conflict, and then some were just your everyday standard carnage and/or bickering.

>>What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

I only saw the last two-three months. I appreciate that Katie is lucky as a mid-level cleric to have "something to do" during invasions. That said, spending extended time in massive healing/resurrection screen scroll is... not always fun. There was one night that I spent an extended time in screen scroll and then, at 2:45 AM, the group went up to the Reach to do stuff that I really wanted to see! But it was 2:45 AM. I was about to pass out. I'd spent 2+ hours in late-night screen scroll and ended up missing something I'd have loved (I know because I saw a log) because it was just too late.

>>Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?
The past few months have been an intensive catch up. The storyline has been the most enjoyable thing to catch up on. It has also given me a way to MEET people and get to know them. (As after so much time, all of my old peeps have moved on.) If it wasn't for the storyline, I'd recognize far fewer people in today's game.

>>Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?

Definitely kept me up WAY too late! I was routinely up past 2am and then got up at 6am for work. I never would have stayed logged in that late for run-of-the-mill hunting.

>>Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?

Given how extremely late I was to the party and the spectacularly vast amount of stuff I did not know, it made a lot of sense to me to keep Katie as mostly an observer. Now that I've politely kept a low profile for the last pages of the GS-equivalent of War and Peace, It'd be fun to step it up a bit for future stuff.

>>Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?*
Whatever makes sense given the storylines at hand.

>>What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)

My "dream" time would be 9pm to midnight, eastern time. I will stay up for the middle of the night, but quite frankly, I was often glad to be an observer as I was often REALLY tired. Exhaustion and thoughtful RP don't always go well together.

>>General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

Even though I was clearly self-selecting not to return with a big, splashy cannonball into the storyline pool, several times GMs noticed my character and reached out to include her in small ways. That was sweet. Further, I returned from the same GS3-era as Lylia and I agree wholeheartedly with her closing remarks - and I, too, love what you've done with the place.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 08:01 PM CST

This is going to take a few minutes to gather and present, expect my official response within a day or so.

- This space is left blank intentionally. -
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 08:20 PM CST
Like many, I found the time to be a largely insurmountable barrier, so my ability to participate was non-existent. I'll answer the portions I can

>> * Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?

Shorter. Especially in light of how confused people were at the end, it just feels more self-contained. That being said, it doesn't have to be a complete resolution, just separate into arcs and allow people to catch up etc. Also, shorter storylines will probably be less difficult for people coming back from long breaks to join in.

>> * What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)

Since I'm eastern, any time between 6pm-12am can be made to work, with 9-12 being the most likely to also play well with the west-coasters.

>> * General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

This is something that's been bothering me since I came back in September. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of GM encouraged roleplay beyond the "big massive story." It might make everything a bit more accessible if there were smaller, possibly 2-4 week storylines that were run during other time windows, possibly even during non-peak times. Something where it's more the scope of a town, where 1 GM could sign up for just a 1 month commitment, might help things feel a little more alive.

Also, I know there's a large contention point around RPA's, and how with the fact that most of the storyline is so late, it makes people who want to participate but can't (because of real world concerns, like being able to afford a subscription) feel cheated. Is there any thought to putting something like say a weekly/monthly cap on the # allowed (to prevent things getting out of hand) and using smaller storylines or one-off roleplayings sessions as a mechanism? I hear about maybe one or two players every month that get an RPA out of the main storyline, and then hear about people who can attend the main storyline go 10+ levels in two months without ever NOT being under a boost.

Now yes, I know some people may argue "you shouldn't be role-playing just to get an RPA" and I agree completely, but if people want to make that argument, they should be against them being given out entirely.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 08:26 PM CST
>It might make everything a bit more accessible if there were smaller, possibly 2-4 week storylines that were run during other time windows, possibly even during non-peak times.

This actually did happen. Just not in the same town as the big storyline.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 08:45 PM CST
>> This actually did happen. Just not in the same town as the big storyline.

I may just be suffering from trying to live in the landing then. If there were any since I came back to the game, I didn't catch wind of them, I'm afraid. Was I just not looking in the right places? Is there some way some un-subtle (but possibly more subtle than 6 weeks of blood rain) hints can make it into the game of where to go? Would be much appreciated. I know there are some one-off evenings (frequently posted on the calendar), those aren't what I'm referring to.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/16/2015 11:58 PM CST
The storyline as a whole was excellent. A+ for everyone involved. Thank you. For this post, I’m going to focus on just The Big Night last Friday. I’m going to give that a B.

What was awesome:
-- The overall concept. I loved the idea of three different groups with different roles to play, which matched character’s motivations and participation up to this point. This was an excellent prompt for RP in the days before the big event. Everyone was talking about what group they would be in, and why.
-- The room descs in the shadow land. I really enjoyed what I read of them. They seemed almost too good for an event like this, where hardly anyone could stop for a minute and let them sink in.
-- Althedeus’ LOOK. I saw him as closer to an abstract concept than a concrete being, and that shifting nature was spot on. I interpreted it as seeing his will and impact rather than a physical form, the latter of which would just be his chosen manifestation for the evening anyway.
-- Letting people of all levels get a hit in. Great idea to make the shadow weapons level/skill-independent, and to not have Althedeus do any normal attacks.

What I would have done differently
-- I wanted more interaction between the groups. Aralyte even seemed to be discouraging it (“Aralyte says, "focus your energies here. You can't help the others."). It would have been more exciting for me if we had a reason, even a need, to keep in touch with each other.
-- Pacing. It almost seemed like 3 GMs bailed on you guys at the last second, leaving everyone else scrambling to keep things moving.
-- “Shadows bleed down from the sky, shifting, forming, shaping....into the being of Althedeus.” -- Not a bad line, but I would’ve milked the big arrival more. This is an epic moment, a year after we first heard that name. Show me things that make me know it’s Althedeus, rather than telling me it’s him. Likewise, I think he called us “puppies” at one point? (I can’t find it in my logs, maybe I have yellow text redirected elsewhere?) That sort of concrete rage/derision seemed inappropriate. Are puppies something Althedeus ever even considers? I would expect more abstract or grandiose language from him, words like: weak, ignorant, blind, irrelevant.
-- Make Althedeus feel like more of a direct threat. I’m not talking about AS/CS/SMRs, but we never saw any messaging as him attacking people directly, as far as I could tell. He just showed up and took a javelin to the knee. I would have liked the language for creature spawns to include, “Althedeus something something and causes a voidling to appear! He fades into the shadows until only a thousand eyes are barely visible in the darkness.” Have him do spirit-draining attacks as well (see next point).
-- Use game mechanics to prompt a real sense of danger, loss, becoming warped, etc. Crank the ambient scripts up to 11 - way more spirit loss for everyone. Hell, add health/mana/stamina loss, too. Don’t kill people, just leave them at 1. See how well we can fight a vathor now that most of the party has 1 spirt. It didn’t have to be combat-related, though. Even just incorporate it into the ritual with Aralyte. Have us infuse spirit into her or something, with messaging about how you feel a part of your soul leave you. Maybe some players would be a decision not to permanently lose part of themselves - very interesting to see who doesn’t.
-- Give players a temptation to falter. Maybe give Cruxophim +100 to everything, and then have Althedeus whisper to everyone that they can have that power if they want, just INFUSE your SPIRIT into this land. Give me some build-up around it that would actually make it tempting for a lot of characters. Even just prompt characters to believe they are on the edge of madness with a bunch of strange visions. Maybe intersperse visions of Althedeus’ planned chaos world with some kind of utopia, as if we’re struggling to keep believing that what he wants is actually bad in the first place. This last point is probably getting too much for the heat of a huge event, but would’ve been amazing: take info from the “tell me your backstory” thread a few months ago and use that to tempt people into switching sides.

I think the common thread from the last couple points is I didn’t see a convincing story that our characters should be changed when they came out of the shadow land. There’s enough backstory there to RP it, and Aralyte said we’d all be changed, sure, but we came out of there without a very rich set of events to suggest that our characters really altered their minds/souls/hearts/spirits/whatever with their time there.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 12:19 AM CST
>* What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

>* What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

I'm combining these answers into one, because I admit that my brain struggles to separate the chapters.

Good things:

-Having a fairly reliable schedule for events. It reduced anxiety about missing stuff.
-Good communication about things happening. It was very easy to tell if something was going on.
-How inclusive everything was (and both of the aforementioned things helped with that) - not every event was necessarily for everyone, but there was a role somewhere for everyone
-The attention to detail. It was incredibly impressive how you managed to keep all of the little personal details and motivations of the billion player characters involved straight, and actually make them relevant. I think that's why some of this story had so much impact that some others I've participated in: you made a point of making it personal for all of us. This was amazing.
-More exposure for the Empire. The Empire is huge and has so much in-depth development, but it always feels like we never actually see it in game, thus its resulted in The Empire being more of an abstract concept than a part of the world. This storyline opened up the Empire in a way that's never happened before (which was one of the reasons I got involved). I loved how we really got some perspective on the size and variety that it had to offer. (And getting to visit The Swale was sort of the cherry on top of it all.) I can’t wait to see more.
-Shades of grey. I liked that there were no right answers.
-Pylasar! There were a lot of fantastic NPCs from all of the GMs involved, but I think Pylasar's going to have a lasting impact on my character like no other.
-The End. The palpable sense of impending doom was well-done. We knew we were running out of time and we could feel it.
-The players. Everyone was fantastic. I was impressed. Seriously.

>* What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

>* What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

Likewise, combining these as well. Honestly, I was pretty happy throughout this whole thing. I haven't gotten this much enjoyment out of the game in awhile... so I don't have much to complain about. Most of what I do... makes me feel like I'm being a bit nitpicky.

-I suppose I would have actually liked a little more time at the end. There are aspects of all the pieces of the end that I would have liked to see a bit more fleshed out - like what was up with the Reach, more from Aralyte, etc. There was a LOT going on near the end that we didn't get much time to explore... which may have contributed to some of the feelings that we didn't have much impact on the end. We were following instructions while maybe lacking some of the meaning/understanding behind our tasks?
-Stone was maybe another area where I think we, as players, felt a bit powerless. So many characters knew that something totally sketchy was up. So many red flags were raised... but we couldn't quite seem to make it matter.
-I'm super biased on this one but... the Empire is BIG. The Empire is POWERFUL. I know there are still consequences to be doled out, but sometimes it just felt a bit too easy to undermine the Empire throughout this. We spent a lot of time on the boards trying to illustrate the scope of the Empire, but sometimes I don't know if their status as a superpower has really been felt. (But still... I honestly feel like this one storyline gave the Empire more exposure than every other storyline combined ever has. So, maybe this is just a way of me saying I still want more!)
-I have not gotten enough sleep this year.

>* What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?
I think my most memorable moment was when Raelee lost her magic. Selfishly, I actually wish it lasted longer. (If it had, I imagine she would have just lost it at some point.) It opened up a major vulnerability and exploring that was a lot of fun. In a broader sense, the presence of the Hall was extremely validating to me as a player - it definitely legitimized a lot of the history I cooked up for Raelee and made her associations feel more real than ever. (And Raelee's last chat with Pylasar in the museum... I confess. I got misty-eyed. The mad purple mage managed to say exactly the right things to her... )

>* Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?
Yes and no, and I say that mostly because I want to argue about the semantics of "growth!" I don't think she's grown much yet, but it planted about a million seeds that have the potential to really change who she is. Without a doubt, though... it's impacted her in a big way. She's always been very certain of her priorities. Knowledge matters above all. The magic and the work, that is what's important. Family does not matter. Friends to not matter. Loyalty does not matter. Nothing else matters.

This storyline exposed her to a lot of very personal things, revisited a lot of old insecurities, and opened some old wounds. Suddenly she was back home in The Swale. (She HATED the fact that people were not just visiting The Hall, but visiting the Hall in The Swale. It felt like a bunch of strangers were walking through her childhood.) Suddenly her family was within reach again. Suddenly the Hall is staring her in the face in a way that it hasn't since she was very young. Then, she found that a lot of things that weren't supposed to matter did matter... and they mattered a lot. (I think this is the big reason she was better behaved in this storyline than in her other two apocalypses - and didn’t pull any of her usual sketchy stuff.) But she's stubborn and doesn't take personal change well... so it's going to take her awhile to process this.

>* Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?
Absolutely. I was only involved in the storyline for the last year... but before this past year, I was barely logging in. Now I'm logging in for several hours every night.

>* Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?
I want to! I think I just need for things to keep happening. It certainly doesn’t have to be at storyline pace or intensity, but little things every now and again to give us something to talk about...

>* Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?
I'm a BIG fan of longform storytelling. (Comic books, where our drama goes on for 20 years!) So, I definitely appreciate a long, epic saga with lots of complexity and detail. That said, I can understand how it get get exhausting for all involved. I think my ideal is a long storyline that came in shorter chapters like this, with a definite break between chapters. (I did generally feel that our chapter breaks could have all used an extra week.)

>* What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)
I’m another EST player, though I'm a definite night owl. My prime playing hours are usually between 10pm and 1am, sometimes starting a bit later. The start times for events were actually fine for me, but at times things ran a bit late... even for me. (I missed Davard's surrender a few chapters ago because I nearly fell asleep on my keyboard twice, and decided to give up.)

>* General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Thanks. This was pretty awesome.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 12:44 AM CST
Before I give specific answers, a quick note: I rejoined the game after a long absence in December 2013, so I missed a lot of the beginnings/background of this storyline (no past history or knowledge of Walkar or Stone, for example).

>* What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?
-Seeing different sides to many of the characters/NPCs I had been around for the past year (Walkar's fight towards redemption, in particular).
-The portals and the way they closed, one by one. Individually each had it's own story, but at the same time there was this overall arc of inevitability as we became more and more isolated.
-Seeing some of the invasions organized with a specific effort to give characters of all levels a chance for involvement.

>* What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?
-The Final Friday (the fight against Althedeus) was a bit of a letdown for me. I think some of the other people posting already touched on most of the reasons, but it felt a bit impersonal (to be fair, it's hard when there's so many people involved), a bit confusing (my first thought when we got back to the :anding -- did we beat Althedeus or not), and more than a bit of waiting around. I think this may have been a case of overblown expectations on my end though, and the following night with Walkar more than made up for it.

>* What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?
-The wide variety of opportunities for involvement. For the most part I was on the fringe of things -- there, but not often taking a central part. But I never felt like that was because of cliques or GM-favoritism so much as my undeveloped character and my tendency to just react instead of taking the lead myself.
-The epic scale. I know I didn't even see everything (there were YEARS of history I needed to catch up on), but it felt like the entire Lands was involved, and we were really just one part of a bigger picture.
-Seeing so many of the other characters and the way they developed/grew/roleplayed. I won't name specific people here except to say you were all amazing.
-The general responsiveness of the GMs throughout the entire storyline, in the forums and otherwise.

>* What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?
-What felt at times like an overreliance on capped foes/fighting. I posted once about this elsewhere on the forums, but I find it frustrating when a night goes "fight against capped foes, then storyline", because it's very easier to miss the storyline part because you're either dead or in hiding.

>* What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?
As a player
-Glissando, and the Tavern in Talador.
-The Night in Stone's Mansion
-The Shadows playing with us on the Hearthstone Porch
-Mestanir.

As a character:
-Fighting the Krol Invaders. First in the Rest (when he couldn't do a thing against them), then later on in Idolone (where at last he could, especially with others standing beside him). The final fight in Idolone, in particular, gave him more than a bit of closure.
-One particular bit of shadowplay (or really two bits on two consecutive nights) involving an acorn from the Treehouse. He wears that acorn now as a reminder of the need to trust people sometimes (thanks Fryta for the help in getting that particular alter made!)
-Mestanir, again.

>* Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?
In an IC sense: A bit. He's starting to realize that he's been a bit simplistic his views both of people (Walkar, Crux, and Rowmi, to name a few of many) and about "the right thing to do".
In an OOC sense: One of the things the storyline has helped me realized is that my character and his background are still horribly undeveloped. There are certain traits that started coming about naturally from the storyline, but working on this is something that still needs to happen for me.

>* Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?
Yes. You might even say more than might be healthy.

>* Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?
In the game, definitely, and in events in general as well. Not sure if I'll be that involved in the "Landing the Protectorate" offshoot that's beginning now, but I'm still curious as to that faint whispering I keep hearing in my mind...

>* Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?

A mixture of both.

>* What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)

I live on the West Coast. On weeknights (Mon-Fri), I cannot be in the game before 9:00 Eastern or so.

>* General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

When I rejoined, they were offering the three months for the price of two deal. I actually didn't take advantage of it, because I wasn't sure if I'd stay two months or not. This storyline was a big part of what drew me in and kept me hooked. So thank you.

Fyonn's player
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 01:20 AM CST
Now for the survey:

> * What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?
Hunting in Wyrdeep and getting ingredients together.

I was a bit frustrated when Walkar just had to keep not listening to reason during his descent, but I see how his madness was sort of non-negotiable, and I'm basically okay with it.

Reasons for characters to pick different sides. Real sense of sacrifice and loss, so that victory seemed worth more. Temporary hunting areas. RPAs. The night we rescued Stone.

Now for the survey:

> * What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?
Hunting in Wyrdeep and getting ingredients together.

See last post. Also, stuff started happening a bit earlier than I could get logged in for, I guess because of the vagaries of DST.

Reasons for characters to pick different sides. Real sense of sacrifice and loss, so that victory seemed worth more. Temporary hunting areas. RPAs. The night we rescued Stone.

I was a bit frustrated when Walkar just had to keep not listening to reason during his descent, but I see how his madness was sort of non-negotiable, and I'm basically okay with it.

I still don't have a well-articulated reason why, but Goat was absolutely crushed after "winning" an invasion one night and then seeing a tree go evil in the Swale. The fact that this character, who I invented in my own head, surprised me a little... it was pretty cool.

I think it Goat now has a stronger feeling about protecting Elanith in general, but he was sort of that way in the first place. He gained a lot of respect for Ronan. He will be interested in developing his fledgling scrying skills, which will go well with his desires to learn about as many magical and martial arts he can. I’d say he grew a bit, but it’s more accurate to say he gained a lot of depth. If anything comes up involving Stone, evil trees, Glethad, or Aralyte (and some others), he’ll have much richer motives and memories I can draw from. Same goes for some player characters, as well.

Yes. If it weren’t for storylines and temp hunting areas, GS would probably become just a treadmill experience for me. This storyline, and the others I’ve been involvedin, makes the fictional world seem alive, evolving, complex, and worth being part of.

Yes. I'm very interested in what comes up with Stone. It was maddening trying to be half-allied with him, and it’ll probably be pretty fun if he ends up being an outright adversary. Goat would go through a lot to try to save Aralyte, too.

Either is fine. I hope there will still be epic nights like Lord Winter’s mansion or the trip into the Swale, regardless of how long the story has been working out. Right now seems like a good time to do smaller ones, since there are a variety of open questions to look into.

I’m pacific and I log in later. I usually get home from work around 7-7:30 (pacific), then my wife wants attention for a half hour, we eat dinner while watching a TV show, and then I log in around 9 and play for a couple hours. Sometimes I’m on earlier, and I can often get in earlier if I know something is going to happen.

I would love to have just a little more warning, and a little more often, of when stuff will be going on. I’m not asking for a hard schedule 2 weeks in advance, but it would be awesome to get a heads up on the boards the day before (of morning of) when something a bit more significant than normal is going to happen. I can try to get home a little earlier, etc.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 01:42 AM CST
<<What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?>>

The build up to the climax was really top notch. Every night added tension and strife. The Empire collapsing, the Landing on the edge of doom, everyone a bundle of nerves. My character slid to the brink of despair more than once witnessing the death, defeat, rinse repeat. It really created some tense, uncomfortable but believable interaction between characters. One could imagine the bags under the eyes and shifty distrust on each character. But occasionally, a great victory. See: Rowmi and Turin pushing back Sevynne, Bekke's victory in Idolone, Walkar's semi-revival etc.. For me as a player, it was an admitted rollercoaster. For Rowmi, it was brilliant.

<<What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?>>

Eh. I as a player don't like the division and pitting against each other, because I lose out on RPing with anyone and everyone, and I enjoy knowing ALL THE THINGS. Also, demons. I can't do anything but lose hands to demons. Seriously.

<<What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?>>

The inclusion. It's been echoed. But since I came back, it was obvious everyone (GMs and players) were open and inviting to anyone who showed interest, and tried to recruit if you will beyond that. I remember being a level 10 monk and joining the battlegroup and grinning my face off, then being able to RP in Walkar's office without anyone stifling me.
I especially liked Rinhale because it allowed a large amount of us to RP in small groups with the GM, and then at the end with Stone. It's rare when we get the intimate experience, and I think you did an awesome job of spreading that around.
The way you really made it personal for everyone. Asking for (and reading!) back stories and following through. I learned A LOT about other characters by watching you torture them (hehe) and the conversations that came after.
The way that you made sure we all had difficult, sometimes horrible choices to make. It really drove character development, and it made us all realize how we're all such excellent storytellers.

<<What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?>>

I'd suggest a bit more separation between major plot points. I'd like two weeks or so of "rest time" where we can bed down and recharge, have some fun in game instead of worrying about missing storyline or being mentally prepared for another crazy night. I think the long storyline was brilliant but could have used some punctuation.

<<What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?>>

Oh, how can I choose. The Orphanage, throughout, really helped shape Rowmi's personality. I fondly remember him thinking of it as "a prison for children" and really hating it at first, but after seeing the orphans and Surofee for a few months, it turned his opinion and eventually made him resolute in sacrificing himself for those kids. First learning about Walkar's history was a big one for Rowmi and myself. And of course, that terrifying, walk-the-line between danger and protecting his home by working with Stone. That whole last chapter I struggled to keep Rowmi on that seemingly obvious foolish path while keeping a straight face. Rowmi is intensely relieved his gamble paid off in the short run (except for the deep, abiding regret that is Zyndur)--we'll see what the future holds.

<<Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?>>

Absolutely. I came into this with a rough idea of who Rowmi was (like in D&D--he was a naive, half-elf monk from a remote farm town who is searching to redeem himself) to what he is now. CiS was an amazing mechanism for character development for me. Rowmi went from a horribly naive, sunny, childlike young man who believed in everyone and everything; to a disillusioned, hardened, terrified, uncertain ball of nerves, and it will be a while until he can regain his sense of trust. Indeed he is only now beginning to smile again. Throughout it all, Glyhne and close friends kept him from going insane (and giving in entirely to his fear/demand for knowledge/need to save his home) and that really tempered things. Honestly, I bet most of us could write a novel about our character, and that illustrates a lot about the power of CiS.

<<Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?>>

100%. From the first weeks I logged in feeding the old addiction. I haven't missed many nights since.

<<Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?>>

100%. As much as I love the GM-driven storyline, the player-driven storyline interests me even more. As long as there are people wanting to play, I'll be interested. And there's so many loose ends to pursue.

<<Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?>>

As I said above, personally it doesn't matter how long the actual story is, but some breaks (preferably after a very satisfying victory for the players) would be appreciated, so I can recuperate in terms of sleep and mindset.

<<What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others?>>

I have your schedule. Weeeeeee!

The same as I say every time: THANK YOU ALL. I don't want to name names because I don't want anyone to feel left out. But I think all of you have touched me and Rowmi in some way, and it has been an absolute blast. I hope you've had fun with me too, and I'm looking forward to more.

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 02:42 AM CST
I was only watching at the end, because I have been mostly absent since GS3. But I will answer some of these, because the events are inescapable in their impact.

When I left way back when, "scale" was one of the things under my skin. I would have worded it something like, "Where are the orcish hordes, demons, and evil cabals?" Intermediate scale powers. The political intrigues given the intricate socio-political histories, accessible actions-and-consequences, not "archmage says the wrong word, world stops spinning." Basically, I am saying "this kind of thing" fixes my old taste issues, which was lack of sufficient realism. This was obviously much more sophisticated, a lot more subtle, with things that actually make sense in terms of world logic. Urnon golem is something I would have actually suggested. Also, the rest of you guys, I was almost culture shocked by the quality of the roleplaying.

I wasn't there for most of it, so I have a steep learning curve for figuring out "the present state of affairs." I'm not sure what I would have noticed or interpreted differently from any second-hand accounts, but I guess that comes with the territory, it is just that the character I am playing is supposed to know these things and I was already way rusty on my Empire. That isn't really a bad thing, because it's a product of the human history being the most plausible, least idealized. Many of the other documents feel like they are built around character classes, along the lines of "if you want to be this race and this profession, be a member of this tribe/clan/house/whatever which that race uses for those professions."

Xorus was intended to be an Ur-Daemon cultist, but was still mostly closeted when I left. It was not as simple as "they worship demons", it was more of a false religion, ascension oriented with an apocalyptic vision. His own special focus was killing deities and ending the world, so this would have been right up his alley. I would say he hasn't grown at all, because he has been waiting, hoping Althedeus would do a lot more damage before being taken down. The change will likely be him being more open about his identity, with less pretending to be an ordinary Faendryl, and more pushing for the virtues of genocide, treating major demons as "dark gods", and collapsing barriers between planes of existence.

Indirectly. I seem to be sticking around this time.

More likely to be involved after the storyline. The character was a "shadow in the background", so to speak, and would ultimately have turned on Althedeus. He will want to seduce Elves and Dark Elves especially toward ending the Turamzzyrian problem, probably trying to convince the Illistim that "dark magic" can only be warded against by embracing it. He would try to convince the Faendryl that there is some serious stuff in the Landing (e.g. The Reach, Broken Lands) that the humans should not be allowed to control. He thinks the world is much more vulnerable to demonic incursions since "the Eye" in the Drake Shrine was destroyed in the Vvrael incident, so he expects that these problems with dark powers will increasingly become the norm in the West. In other words, he is very optimistic, for the first time in centuries.

Length proportional to impact.

Late, late, late.

Dark magic, demons, and sinister cabals. More magic that is not part of whatever we learn through these guilds, maybe NPCs who are supposedly other things that could just as easily be (or maybe in other cities are) their own guilds, and black arts which could only have been picked up through dark channels or Despana style searching for forgotten ruins and powerful artifacts. There was a whole Age of Darkness, and an Age of Chaos, for all kinds of warped religions or whatever else to have come up with some really wicked stuff.

Perhaps the Faendryl have been leaking things out through the sorcerer guilds to be subversive, going way further than its dubious societal tolerance now, with increasing religious and political backlash because of all the problems being caused by forbidden knowledge. (And maybe a certain nameless society that doesn't exist could acquire some kind of understandable purpose.) I've also always kind of wanted to know something, even incompletely, about whatever other continents are out there so Elanith doesn't feel like the whole world...

Also, blood rain induced famine seems reasonable, all considering.

- Xorus' player

The vereri says, "You have no reason to fear me, Xorus."

The nedum vereri smiles soothingly at you. You feel your resistance melt away!
d100 == 1 FUMBLE!
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 09:15 AM CST
Couple things to tack on, having been reminded of them by these posts:

<< I also disliked not being able to do anything acceptable to try and prevent people from shooting down airships, or killing the chimera I killed, or healing phever taking spirit from those present from the original blood letting ceremony(not that I would have necessarily would have tried, but I didn't see any options at the time to even attempt it convincingly). >> (Archales' post)

<< Yes and no, and I say that mostly because I want to argue about the semantics of "growth!" >> (Raelee's post, re: character growth)

<< Seeing some of the invasions organized with a specific effort to give characters of all levels a chance for involvement. >> (Fyonn's post)

1. You addressed Archales's concern with a perfectly reasonable answer, so I won't get into it - I just wanted to boost his signal.

2. Aiska changed in a thousand tiny ways because of this plot, coming out a very different character than she entered, but I nitpick and fuss over what's an actual 180 for the character and what's simply me, the player, discovering new depths or addressing blank spots in her development. How pedantic, right? Feel free to roll your eyes.

3. I can't believe I didn't mention this. I loved, loved loved loved, those scaled invasions. Yeah the towers and roofs and stuff were fun, but they can never compare to being down there axing twenty zombies in the face.

[LNet]-GSIV:Rhaz: "Aiska needs to come with a warning label"
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 09:28 AM CST
Thank you for this opportunity. My character has been through a few of these story lines since I had him defrosted in 2005. This is the best one yet as far accessibility for youngins and marginal characters like mine, who find consistency in their RP a challenge,or the character is simply too weak to have much play any where near the front lines. The evolution of fighting infrastructure that let the younger player into the fight was particularly robust and appreciated! Also having the enemy send in lower level front line invaders at the start of a given siege,is very nice.
The depth and complexity of the story line is something your rightfully proud of,and as you have mentioned, has opened entire chapters for plot line development and opportunities of interaction of player characters.

I guess my big turn off , after the graphic depiction of the murder of the generals lady by Drangel, was the cynical use of the image of an abandoned little girl desperately trying to escape a Chimera by pounding and begging at a closed magical portal.This narrative was unnecessarily sadistic. I know to complain of entertainments that turn the horrors of war into a game because the description is too close to the real, is frankly, hypocritical. But ANY entertainment about war is entertaining because it isnt TOO realistic, and follows certain, albiet hackneyed stereo type plot restrictions. Although I resisted the introduction of children character/victim NPCs into this game..I have to admit they brought 'life' to Wehnimers Landing, and the heart string tugs, added depth and dimension to play.
But lines need be drawn..its one thing to have distant reports of the horrors of war..quite another in actual 'real time' depiction, of images of crying children suffering immolation (or worse) at the hands of demonic monsters. When that 'line' was crossed, I stepped away from much more than helping defenders at sieges.

Other than that, 'Cross' raised the level of play ..literally and figuratively.

Congradulations..and thank you!

Elbromo

Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 11:30 AM CST
Here are my feedback responses:

-I really like that we all had life or death decisions to make with where to fight our final battle. The drama and RP leading up to how our decisions effected family, friends and community was great.

- Most of the battle was above my level, which isn't really the issue, but I didn't gain any experience during the final battle even though I was shooting undead and even a vathor with the ballista and airships at the pylons. Perhaps some experience should be gained when we (wo)man those as well.

-I liked that we had individual and group effort events. The variety was wonderful as well. I was always wondering "What will happen tonight?". The interaction with the NPCs was really great and a good mix of good and bad. The great level of RP from the other characters!

- Unfortunately, I wasn't awake for much of the story line. Late nights weren't great but I understand the reason and worked around it.

As a player:
-Ronan answering Regwens prayers. It was really touching to have her prayers answered, especially in that setting.

As a character:
-The rubble digging and opportunities to RP with the folks I was digging with. -Davards trial where she first met Falvicar. -Ronan answering my prayer was great and to do it at an event with family and friends made it really special. -Watching the Crosslings perform the blood ritual to create the chimera with Stone. I was horrified. -The Ronanites standing against the shadows in the orchard. Xayle whispering to me. Wrapping up with Vleg at the shore and the altar being fixed. -Krolvin invasion. -The Commune in Solhaven with Shadows breaking it up and causing an invasion and Solhaven to freeze. -Having Falvicar come back from the shadow realm after the final battle.

Yes! She's matured into a confident young woman with strong beliefs. When she woke from her 9 year nap, Regwen was a naive, little accomplished bardess who really hadn't paid much attention to story lines. She was drawn into the fray with an invasion and resulting rubble piles from the start. She quickly went from an observer to active participant. She worked to hone her skills upgraded her equipment and joined several groups to better participate. She converted to Ronan and really commited herself to battling evil.

oocly: The wonderful RP levels have really made me try to up my game too!

-Haha Yes! My many many tired mornings attest to that. Its been so hard to get to bed on time.

- Trying to train more is keeping me busy right now. I want to be ready for whatever evil fighting comes next or where ever Lord Ronan has need.

-Whatever it takes. I'm hooked so bring it on! For long storylines, chapters are good to break it up a little. Because there are still loose ends after a storyline, there is still some continuity anyways.

-I like to play 8:30 till 11:00 eastern time. In reality, I can be on as early as 5:30 and up as late as 1:00am (when I'm falling asleep at the keyboard and feeling it the next day). The super late nights such as white manor are really an exception for me.

Its been great being back. I'm not planning on going anywhere soon. ;-)

-Regwen
A silver glow surrounds Regwen briefly.

Lheren says, "The Lord of Night has heard you, it seems."
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 11:44 AM CST
I started writing responses to the questions last night, and I put myself to sleep. Permit me to craft this response, instead.

Kenstrom and company (I'm using the phrase 'and company' because I do not want to fail to omit those GM's who were part of things and my addled brain might forget to mention),

This storyline was a work of art. I do agree that the ending seem rushed, but others have pointed out the intangibles where that is concerned.

Here is the thing. I think, no.. I know that I am not alone in wanting my character to have shiny moments. Truly, quest hog that I am, aggressive and interactive, there has been no other experience in GS where I felt so much in the thick of things, which is saying quite a lot, because I feel that I excel at sticking my nose where it doesn't necessarily belong. That is the thing, then. You managed, miraculously, to make so many people feel that way. Enabled. Empowered. Which on the one hand, grants a tremendous experience for the player, and on the other hand, sets the bar VERY high and I question whether that is sustainable, as more and more people realize that they, too, can have a personalized shiny moment in an epic, world-shattering storyline.

I say that, because there were moments where I felt I messed up an opportunity. Maybe we miscommunicated. Maybe I zigged, when I should have zagged. Maybe I pushed against the brick wall, ran with something when there was nowhere to go - or - I sat back to let others have their moments, when I should have done more. Are these complaints, criticisms? No, not really. If this is the problem, it's a good problem to have. We live in an entitlement age, where folks think they are owed something, because everyone is a butterfly snowflake. I don't want to be that guy. But, I do want to be -a- player you can lean on to make things happen amongst whatever niche I happen to be in, because frankly, I feel comfortable in a role enabling others. I struggle with writing this, I hope this makes sense.

The complexity, the muddy morality, the implementation were all brilliant. It's been stated that the interest in the 'dark' avenues were somewhat unanticipated, and so ... I have nothing to add to that. But, for what it's worth, I've made friends and gained respect for folks RP directly as a result of being with the followers of Cross. There's a lot of talent there, and people with whom I hope our paths will continue to cross (HAHAHAHA, SEE WHAT I DID THERE?).

For instance, one of the things I enjoyed the most was the raid on Talador, and the abduction of Cosima - not because of the action, but because I was able to coordinate a pretty massive, impactful event that was sparked by an exchange of whispers and a couple of letters. In this, I had a few moments as a player, and have absolutely no room to complain. I will say that I had never had that experience as a player, and I nearly botched it here on the boards - but the IG concept, the IC event, that .. that was glorious.

But, you know, those shiny moments become a drug, and you're like Denzel Washington in American Gangster. I honestly don't know how much is too much, or if I'm doing good, or if I'm being greedy. I don't want to be a greedy, spoiled crackhead. I am certainly appreciative of anything and everything, because it's more than I've ever managed in any other storyline, ever. I mention this now, as we're moving forward, because after this storyline, I feel that I've found my character's niche, but the only way to be sure is through practice and engagement.

Speaking of which, storyline length is an interesting issue. The longer the storyline, the higher barrier to entry and the more likely that entrenched PC's will be running the show, which may feel exclusive to new faces. Consider that many former players are diehard RP'ers, and as news of your successes and efforts continue to spread, I am confident that new faces will be on the scene, whether they be returning characters or current characters come to see what all the fuss is about. There were certain niches that were filled, while others wanted to beat on that door. I know, above, I speak of wanting to fill a niche, but I am not alone in that, nor do I expect to be the only to be able to do so.

Let me give you an example. Knights. I'll never be a Knight, so it's a thing to watch and observe. That's a niche, closed group, usually getting some special time and treatment. However, it's not just ONE PERSON. You got this Sir and that Sir and that Madam and some are in this group and some are in that group. Then, along comes Aiska, and manages to get in with that group AND have an impact on the storyline in X ways. She's not a Knight, but she's well on her way, and your storyline allowed that - BECAUSE - that niche wasn't too entrenched within ONE PC. Now, maybe Aiska isn't getting the name recognition and handshaking and formality that Cryheart gets, but she's well on her way. IN MY OBSERVATION.

I don't know how to apply that particular brilliance to all the niches and subsets of every little snowflake butterfly in Elanthia. But, it's something I pay attention to, because that was my goal with forming the Dae'Randir, an RP organization centered around Onar worship. To be very clear, I think you did great with giving SO MANY PEOPLE their drugs, er.. their shiny RP spotlight moments.. but I question whether this is sustainable, moving forward, without leading to that feeling of favoritism and exclusivity and high barrier to entry that turns people away from storylines - because, as I said, people are going to want to be part of what you are doing here.

This last leg of the quest touched upon every single thing I have ever dabbled in with my character. Blood Magic (marginally), Wyrdeep Forest (major), Mindwalking / Scrying (I miss Charna!), Assassination, Intrigue (my entire focus 5-6 years ago), killing Empire soldiers. Angst. Stress. IC Conflict vs Not being sentimental (huge, pivotal lesson for character development), and of course Arkati worship/faith. The whole storyline, I was a fat kid in a candy store, trying to get me some juvenile diabetes.

What a babbling mess. Look, I'm overtired, I got some RL bs going on, and I'm having a hard time thinking clearly as of late, but I wanted to give you a big fat high five with a little constructive criticism. I have absolutely zero complaints, is the bottom line, because I've nothing to compare this to. I've never been so excited about playing the game, about writing, about plotting, about the "what if" than I have been in the 10 months since my return. Yea, I face some frustrations as a player, but they're the same frustrations because of the choices I've made in playing this type of character, which have very little to do with how the GM's have orchestrated this storyline.

I work afternoons and evenings, and usually can get settled to log in between 10/10:30 pm EST. I live in the Bible Belt, so Sunday is the best day to play, because everything here is closed. Haha? I like what you did increasingly towards the end, that of several announcements, and the gist of the informative RP happening relatively early on. I rather like the concept of .. if there's a big event one night that runs late, maybe the next night, a quick little "review" from the relevant NPC - for either those who missed it, or couldn't stay up so late.

The other thing you did that I loved were the IC posts, the news reports from here and there, which also helps to compensate for the time differences and people's RL just getting in the way. If players are doing that, that's great.

We need to consider what I call.. town buzz.. after this or that thing happens, one should be able to go into Helga's and sit at the bar and eavesdrop on the commoner's conversations. Since that does not happen (although, there's an idea for ya*), we have the posts on the boards which equate to the same sorta thing.

* NPC Shade McBeerDrinker, been living in the town for years, knows when and where to hide when things go wrong, his parents were killed by the feithidimor or some such.

Ask shade about Cross.
Shade sips on his beer and says, "Well, they be sayin' that dere Arcane Summoner was stabbed by his own daughter. Serves him right. Who turns their kid into an urnon golem? Koar almighty."

give shade 100 silvers

Shade takes your coins and glances around nervously. "Well, I did hear that the Rooks were gonna meet beneath the town on the Eve of the Huntress, the 23rd. But you didn't hear that from me!"

give shade 100 silvers

Shade takes your coins with a smile. "I ain't got nothing new to tell ya, but I reckon you owe me, and I am appershative of you buying me a drink."

Then you can post on the boards when good ole Shady's been updated with new information, and we can do it all in character. AND/OR you can have Shady read the 'alignment' of characters and reveal the relevant information. He won't give Ronanite information to a Sheruvian, for instance.

Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks for everything! You are all awesome.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/17/2015 12:29 PM CST

Here goes, and I am sure that I left something out that is pivotal, yet confident that someone else will bring it up.

What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

- For this player, I found immense pleasure in how wily the Staff was at inclusion. It was quite a joy to watch returning as well as new characters sucked into the story progression, understanding they were intentionally being mis-led, yet having my own characters hands tied on the line of IC and OOC information. This chapter was a quiet one for my character, only really asserting himself when the situation demanded his presence or opinion based on his previous experiences

What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?

- I still don't feel resolved. Character wise I have yet to recieve any other news than we won, and the details and assurances that we won still feel up in the air to Greg. There are still a lot of loose ends, which leave a little to be desired for a climatic conclusion

What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

I am not even sure where to start.

- Kitten-shaped snowflakes.

- Reactive conversation with numerous NPC's. By this I mean, conversations that actually appeared to change the course of events, or at least side line them on an tangent for some measure of time. (The destruction of Stone's Merchant ship in the bay, Drangell being imprisoned, rather than executed, Thrayzar's capture and subsequently bargaining for his release, Negotiating for Chambeli, Campaigning for Barnom Slim, Plotting the Assassination of Grishom Stone. Jedi mind tricks on Albright - This is not the girl you are looking for-, need I go on?)

- The continued oppurtunity to be a part of it. This quest was more about choosing your own level of involvement, than being chosen. There has never been a storyline/quest of this magnitude in Gemstone before. You can recite the Vvrael/Stones of Virtue to me, you can mention the GSS, takes one and two, Menyo's Pain, we can talk the Bregandian War if you like. I was there for them all, but none have allowed this many people the oppurtunity to make an impact as CiS has.

- The evolution of The Human Empire. I have played humans and Half-Elves my entire GS lifetime, and never really side glanced at the developments within the Empire at all, it was merely words on a page to me as a player. This quest had me researching, reading and asking questions. Great job on opening the Empire up as a living, breathing entity.

- Character development. This storyline had everyone thinking about themselves. Many in a different light than they had previously considered. As a player, the challenges to fit into the mold I had cast for Greg became challenging, and that is a wonderful thing. When Greg was created, I was a returning player in a new body, who had been absent for ten years. I had no aspirations, and was actually in the Landing by happenstance when I saw the first Arcane Eye in the sky. Now Greg has found a home and a new family. Both he will, and has, defended with his life. When I rolled up Greg and went to visit The Landing, he could not have cared less if the town burned to a cinder. The changes he has gone through, the level of maturity he has gained, is something that I had no plan for Greg when he came out of the mangler. I applaud Kenstrom and the staff involved that helped form Greg into more than he could have become on his own.

What were some things you disliked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

- I found myself many times constrained by the sandbox. I wanted to be able to find the answer in dogma. It simply was not there through-out this story, and it was frustrating to me as a player, by being completely unable to call the next shot, or that the logical path to resolution was simply not an option. We were compelled by unknowns and dragged along for the ride. I would have found better enjoyment if there was some slight obscure reference somewhere in established dogma, or theology that lent itself as a possibility. Everything we had been taught as children was moot. This was completely unknown and there was no solution.. that was within our sandbox. Bravo to the staff and players who were able to adapt and conform to the underlying inuendo that this story presented. For me as a player, I was boxed in by conventional means. Everything that happened within the sandbox we call dogma, I was able to handle well, the new -thing- I just could not grasp convincingly enough for this player to tag along and become a believer.

- Unbelievable displays of abilities, powers, strengths, and overt uberness by many NPC's introduced. Gemstone allows us to assume roles, and based on the information available to us, that role can be a severely educated, 1500 year old elf, or conversely an uneducated street punk of 16 years old. Some of the things we saw demonstrated by 'ordinary' joes in this story were beyond belief. It left a sour taste, when an NPC demonstrated some ability that under any ordinary circumstance would have a PC commiting role-play suicide if the same thing were attempted with an ACT or SMILE. I would have preferred them to be more realistic in their acts, and offer believeble explanations for anything highly unusual.

What were some memorable moments from Cross into Shadows for you, as a player, and then also your character?

- Defender of Wehnimer's Landing? Are you kidding me? As a player, this continues to be a personal high point in my career.

- This player -almost- shed a tear when Mirayam surrendered. I have never been that emotionally invested in any character in any game I have played. Well done.

- I was so elated that Grishom Stone had been shattered into a million Pebbles at my feet that as a player, and character both, I did not care less that Elithain Cross had stolen Madelyne.

- The scarring of Seomanthe was an important event in both of our character's development.

- "Don't fiddle with that too much." Famous last words.

- The execution of Cosima was memorable for Greg, as he was certain this would be the end of the gamble with Drangell and Davard from the time he first heard plans of her kidnapping.

- Davard's execution was enlightening for Greg because it demonstrated to him the lengths the Empire was willing to go in their zealotry.

- Seeing the little boy with the wooden sword run through town during an invasion trying to assist. (The Oprhanage itself has become so much more than Seo and I ever hoped it would become, and it's existance is directly in response to this storyline.)

- The life cycle of Walkar Wellington. It is possible that entire story could have ended a different way, but watching that character be born, developed, and run it's course was an enjoyable side line.

- Rinhale having that young guard executed after his false testimony is probably the largest 'guilt' Greg carries with him. There are plenty of other guilts that he feels as a result of him pushing back... but that guard, that hit him hard, and personal.

There are so many more. I was looking though some notes earlier this week, and conversations that have occured since this thing started way back in 2010. As a player, the most memorable thing for me has been the depths of the relationships that have been born out of this. No single event did this, but a series of events that brought us together.

Has your character grown from the experiences of the storyline? If you don't mind sharing, then how so?

- Definately, as mentioned above. A character approached Greg regarding current events a year or so ago, and Greg's reaction to this characters inquiry was that it was beyond his scope. In more detail, Greg is only 22 years old, 18 when things began. This character was amazed that he was so young, yet burdened so much responsibility. There are still things for Greg to learn, and he can certainly use some lessons on diplomacy, and definately patience. That is intentional, and maybe in time he will pick those up. Maybe not.

Did the storyline keep you engaged, and logged into the game more than you might normally?

- I had to chuckle over this. I was so into this story that I upgraded my membership to Premium, JUST so I could visit Stone's Mansion on his island in Mist Harbor. How is that for immersion?

Will you continue to stay involved in the game, and ongoing events, even after the storyline? If so, what are things that keep you interested?

- If there had been no CiS there would be no Landing Defense Irregulars. That is the bottom line truth of it. Greg now also is a CHE Officer, based no doubt in part to his involvement with CiS, he is not going away for good, any time soon.

Do you prefer smaller storylines (3-6 months) or longer storylines (6-12+ months)?

- I think this one qualifies as epic. It is a great thing to have an epic story come along every couple of years, one that takes a while to build up, reach a plateau, and be resolved. The epic storyline definately is a required component. That said, let's keep the average 'mini' quest down to 6-8 weeks, about 4-6 weeks apart from each other. Random NPC interaction, keeping the pulse of the game alive is a neccessity as well. I believe your epic should last a year of solid advancement.

What times of day/evening are you able to be in-game more easily than others? (This is a nice way for me to help keep track of peoples schedules, and maybe plot future storylines across different windows of time)

- Currently moslty self-employed, I work on my property basically from home. I can be here whenever. Typically. Eastern time zone, late nights work best. After 9pm, before 3am.

General Comments and Suggestions. Go Nuts!

Man, what else is left to say? You have set a high standard, I am honored to have had a role in it, and I can only hope that whatever comes next eclipses it. Good job.

- This space is left blank intentionally. -
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/18/2015 08:42 AM CST

1. Was not involved much during the Demon Rising event due to skill level, but did however like going after cross with the group and even managed to live through out most of the event, lol.I also liked the idea of having separate areas for different skill levels, kudos to you.

2. at 50 trains the creatures were either to big or to small for me to gain any experience the krolvin necromancer were the only things i gained experience on but was not much so wasnt even worth it for me to go there to hunt, dont get me wrong loved the idea of aged areas just need to broaden it a little more maybe.

3. enjoyed the long story line alot always knew that action was just around the corner, wish you could or would do a story line like the griffin sword saga where there were demons and invaders 24/7 for over two weeks, realy enjoyed the hell out of that saga but sadlt that was a long time ago.

4. Also learned that Kenstrom likes wearing frilly pink panties.

I play mostly between the hours of 5pm and 10pm eastern so it would be nice to have more action during those times.West Coasters suck!
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/18/2015 09:46 PM CST

The inclusion of new PCs both by PCs and GMs. The additions of new defenses for younger characters to help with. The separation of areas based on lvl during invasions. The new temporary areas to explore including Talador(would love to have that as an annual festival....) and the town NPCs that went along with it.

The epic scale the story had. Many towns, many temporary areas(both hunting areas and town), the feel that the story effected more then just PCs but the NPCs that live in the world.

I think the use of plot twist was way over done. I love a great plot twist but when 3 out 4 parts of the story ended with some type of plot twist it started getting to the point it was hard to give a definite answer to anything because people would question if that is what really happen. Dont stop using them, just pull back on the number of them.

Player
The shadow bear(yes Tykeara, Draccor, and Pup still look over their shoulders waiting for that thing to jump out again), City of Talador as a whole, the burning of Davard, Pylasar's every entrance, Kiske Maags Seom and Crux's lost of their magic and both ways we resolved it, Winter's Manson, and many many PC to PC RP had through out the year.
Character
Being given the title of defender, all the town meetings and lectures Pup ran and the turn out from the other players, and finally the nomination and large support of voters to have Pup lead the group into the void.

Simply...Yes. Over the years Pup turned from a quiet unsure husk of a character into one that has grown into his skin and now has more depth to his character. More time then not he now thinks before he acts, assesses the situation before pulling out his sword or casting a spell. He has lived through pain and lost and not as naive about what war means or what true evil can do to his friends and family. He went from someone that lived in the Landing to one that Lives in the landing and loves the people there. Due to the events of the story he went from a ranger that loved nature to one that now proudly follows Imaera and found a full new appreciation in life.

I spent the last week catching up on sleep. Why? I can't even guess how much sleep I lost because of the story.

I will continue to be involved in the game more so because of the people Pup have befriend over the course of the story more then anything else. Yes he will be involved in ongoing events as he fits them but its the new friends and family that draws him back more.

I like to see both as the story needs and not restrict a story by time.

My time varies between family and work so I have no period of time that works perfect for me.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/19/2015 12:26 AM CST
My involvement was only sparse here and there, but I'm happy to offer a bit of feedback as I can. Maybe I should have a better distinction among the different chapters that I don't really have (or not). Hopefully I am imagining that Chapter 3 involved Barnom the Lich King, and Chapter 4 is what's happened since that time, and this is basically correct (starting roughly with shrine desecration, etc, in December 2013).

All the things that specifically happened to both players and shrines, etc. Blue haze in the eyes, characters that were unable to cast spells, weird bats with faces of my friends invading the town, etc. Shrines around the Landing being systematically destroyed or defaced, etc. None of these happened to my characters, but it was really fun and interesting none-the-less. This really helped to flesh out the degrees of connected-ness. Maybe you weren't directly affected, but you were probably only one or two friends away from people very directly involved.

I feel like I was waiting for something more about the demons that I never really saw. There were demons invading town sometimes. I saw some summoning circles on some krolvin ships. And eventually there was the demon wall. As the player of a character very interested, and at least marginally well-versed in, the study of the valences, I was rather surprised to find there was really nothing actually interesting going on with demons at all (or if there was, I never really found out about it or made the connection). Demons were at best sideline players, and maybe I just got tired of waiting, or parsed over summaries of events too quickly, but anyway that was my feeling. It sucks to see NPCs and other entities in game doing major demonic summoning when even after all is said and done, players of demonologists were left right back where we started. Anyway, I at least learned nothing more about demons, either in theory or in practice. So the title seems deceptive to that end.

My character had met Barnom, and didn't want to join with him. I also showed up to a summoning of Althedeus (right before the bat-faces came out), but didn't cross over for that either. I had wanted to take the side of some demonic entities pretty much all along, but there was never a good chance that suited my interests. And demons kept trying to kill my character who wanted to befriend them. I always got the impression the demons were on someone's side but never really their own, and I had never felt inclined to side with most any of the different factions in this story line.

I can only speak back to the beginning of the Lich King story line. Crashing the game as we went to destroy the phylacteries was pretty amazing. Lots of different things happened in different places around Elanthia, including some areas we could access as players. Generally similar feedback with the positive of chapter 4: things actually happened to players that had consequences outside of RP 'opinion.' You couldn't just pretend, for example, that the lich-born were this way or that, but should have to draw your conclusions based on physical evidence of what happened to them. Release of areas like Lich's Landing that are still accessible after the events are over. All these things lead to a lasting impact of the storyline on the game.

It was pretty convoluted and had so much going on, it felt nearly impossible to isolate events or times of strong interest to my character. It seemed like I had to just show up any time I heard things were going on, and hope it might be something that interested my character. Sometimes show up and it's totally boring for me, or I hear about something like the desecration of Imaera's shrine, and I'm like, "Wow it really sucks that I missed that."

The story dividing characters or trying to force us into tough decisions was very interesting, but not without its downsides. Since my character has no vested interest in WL (for example), and really didn't think any of the different "sides" of the story were compelling, the results were more and more that I'd just avoid the entire storyline and hang out in another city, as is my usual MO. So I felt the conflict of the story kind of kept me away, because I could never find a side worth joining, and figured the different sides could go on trying to annihilate each other without me.

The number of players who continually attempted to be involved for no clear reasons of their own at any time or any place was definitely detracting. (There seemed to be a lot of RPA hunting, where players would show up or feign interest just for selfish reasons of the player when the character didn't appear to be contributing anything.)

Game crash. All the weird black trees. My character getting moulis from one of the WL council members. The blood ritual with the shaman to remove the anti-magic curses. Seeing people getting wrecked by awesome demons.

Astoundingly, almost not at all. I searched and searched for my niche, and either was never present at the right times, or it just wasn't there. Kind of a bummer, but my character is also the oddball. I did piece together some important parts of his backstory concurrently as the storyline progressed, but I don't think there is a strong relationship here. (More likely at Vathon's uncommon rune events, where demonology and valence lore was more of a topic and got the cogs turning.) He had poisoned some orphans, and I thought this might lead to something interesting, but mostly it didn't.

This is a tough question. Since I was playing sometimes at my desk at work, I suppose the answer must be yes. But the question of what "normally" means is unclear. Is my baseline normal RP, running CHE events, going to a big merchant festival, doing my weekly Gift, or what? There were definitely some aspects of the story line I found very engaging. It was usually best if I had some notice of them beforehand, since I'm on the other side of the world in terms of time zones.

The storyline, while interesting, didn't actually engage my character almost at all, despite my (at least minimal) efforts. But I was and still am interested to stay involved with the game, events, and storylines of the future. Seeking to understand my character better is always interesting to me, and I really enjoy the challenge of searching for his niche or defining moments.

Got to say smaller. It's so hard to follow things over such a long time with so many angles. Even some key players who were involved in Chapter 3 weren't around for Chapter 4. Then again, if I'd really gotten strongly involved, I'm sure I'd want it to last as long as possible. The duration chosen was not unreasonable.

I kind of neglect my answer here, since I'm in Japan. If 8pm is good for me, it means 9 or 10am for EST. But I probably won't be in Japan for more than another year (Europe next, perhaps).

The story line was imagined and executed in a really amazing way.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/19/2015 10:00 AM CST

>>-- The room descs in the shadow land. I really enjoyed what I read of them. They seemed almost too good for an event like this, where hardly anyone could stop for a minute and let them sink in.

D'aw.

~ X.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/19/2015 11:37 AM CST

What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why? * What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

The new areas to explore. The amount of work that went into these places is very much appreciated. Loved seeing Wyrdeep live. Thank you for that. The new mechanics that aid the less experienced in invasions. It's not as exciting as sweeping the streets but you get to be involved. And taking down an airship is pretty cool. I really liked the tiered invasion. What happened to that?

* What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?* What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

Information overload. Night after night of new twists. I can't imagine how you kept it all together. As fun as intricate plots and weaving stories are, it must be exhausting and sometimes..it felt cut short. I would love to see one great idea fleshed out to be inclusive rather than splintered approaches which sometimes feels more like exclusion.

The Wyrdeep calling Glyhne's name touched her. I wish I had done more with that. Time constraints, other things going on etc seemed to overwhelm any personal exploration into that. It was a cool night though. I hope someday to flesh out the ideas I almost started.

The war with Talador really tore her to pieces. She found a soft heart and also a fierce tongue.

Of course. Which way she grew is yet to be seen. She found a soft side, a hard side, a sassy side, a berating side, a judgemental side and then saw that thrown back. She grew, she regressed, she was quieter at the end, she was loud when she didn't know what the hell was going on. It was fun to be a mess. Thank you so much to those close to me for forgiving, and letting that blossom. <3's.

I'm a lonely gal one hour outside of EST. Most of the story happened a bit too late for me. I enjoyed catching up on the boards. Rowmi kept me in the loop, as did others but still I whined about missing it :P. I might have stayed up until 4 am once or twice but you can't enjoy enjoy anything at that point. I'm not a night owl.

I'm experiencing somewhat of an overload. I will continue to be involved but not intensely. Wouldn't mind a bit of rebuilding and sorting out. Getting a handle on other stuff for a bit. I look forward to fleshing out personal stories and seeing others blossom as well.

As epic as CIS was, the amount of information and activities from night to night did make it extremely hard to keep up with. I like the 3 months...Then have trickle down like CIS did. Some bad guys live and will return. New nemesis' emerge from the bitterness etc.

8-12pm est weeknights.

Just another general thank you to all the GMs that put so much hard work into CIS and making sure everyone felt involved, not just a few. Thank you Rowmi and to all Glyhne's buddies and not so buddies. You all make this the intricate tapestry of fun and depth of spirit and story one can only hope for.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/19/2015 05:27 PM CST

Alchemy! By far, this was the highlight of the chapter for me. Completely validated all the work I did mastering it so long ago. In keeping with this, there were a number of things that seemed dependent on player choices and actions, and I found that highly engaging.

I've already posted my thoughts about the ending. That was probably the closest thing that came to dislike.

The ease of inclusion in the storyline, even for someone like me who couldn't dedicate that many hours to GS. (there were certain periods where I amped up my involvement....they happened to coincide with the periods that my wife and kid were overseas visiting her parents. Really, just coincidence. Nothing to see here. Move along...) I was able to get involved in certain aspects, and I really enjoyed the fact that certain players (Stormyrain, Puptilian, Lylia, Evia, Cryheart, might be forgetting someone else, sorry if so) were willing to answer my questions whenever I would pop into the game in the middle of something going on. Previous storylines I was completely shut out, for the most part.

That I couldn't keep track of it all! That's obviously due to my limited playtime.

Also missing Stone's rescue mission. I think it ended up being scheduled on a day which I knew there was no way I could log in. :(

(I think it's pretty clear that I didn't really dislike almost any aspect of the overall storyline. :)

Character/player: Finding the lever in Stephos' home that exposed his dealings in smuggling weapons. Getting a lucky dispel off that killed Walkar in abomination form (and getting killed in return). Did I mention alchemy?

Character: Seeing Walkar return back to normalcy as a result of the potion. It may have taken two weeks for me to see it, but I can't think of anything that made Kembal happier. Also, Vleg's release at the shrine of Ronan was incredibly moving for Kembal. If he wasn't following Imaera already, he would've probably converted to Ronan on the spot and adopted the blue butterfly as his symbol.

Player: There was one time when myself, Cryheart, and someone else were trying to breach one of those impenetrable barriers to get to Taladorian catapults when one of us realized there must be another way around...and then we were infected with moulis almost immediately so we couldn't act on it. It was hilarious.

Also seeing Goat do his scrying thing after Stone disappeared was pretty amazing in terms of the interaction done by the GMs. I was fully expecting nothing to happen, so the response was very cool.

My character has grown and built relationships from the storyline, and probably for the first time actually feels anchored to the Landing. In 15 years of playing, I don't think that's ever been the case before. It may dissipate again as he spends more time in Icemule hunting the Rift, but it's a new feeling for him.

Yes.

Many of the threads mentioned in the ending teaser would be interesting, but I would absolutely need to know something's going on. (The boards are extremely helpful for this) Logging in is difficult on school nights. (gotta wake up early to take the kid to school)

Either works.

Evenings from 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm central are the easiest to pull off. Weekend afternoons also work for me.

More alchemy! :)

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/19/2015 08:19 PM CST
What were some things you liked most about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why? * What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

I loved how this story drew me back in. New elements with old elements and characters from previous chapters gave it a sort of charm I found irresistible.

The many ways we could involve ourselves, and how this involvement was nurtured in a variety of ways, was just amazing. That returning characters, also, like Stormyrain and Lylia, and a new character like Aiska were able to connect to it so quickly is a testament to how eager you, and the other GMs were to pull us in for this ride, and what a fine ride it was.

The changes in how we see Elanthia, as a result of what has happened, are a milestone. I posted on this briefly, before, but the more fully realized picture of our fantastic world remains one of the greatest achievements, to my mind, of this story. I know I was inspired to research the Turamzyrrian Empire more, and have made (gasp) a human to play from some part of that perspective. I find this one of the better developed but underused parts of game documentation, and hope to see more come from it!

Player and character interactions: This was the best. My circle of game friends grew through this story, and my character interactions grew even more.

The pylons! These were a wonderful way to offer varied ways of participating in the town defense, and gave these invasion scenes what I can only describe as a Battle of Britain sort of feel on the airship invasion nights. Major kudos for how this was done.

The Deadfall and The Demonwall: Ya know, I like to hunt, STILL. Having a capped hunting ground that wasn't a serious expedition to get to from the Landing was VERY nice. All portals through the Hall were excellent, though I was not able to get involved in any of their climactic battles.

* What were some things you disliked about Chapter 4: Demon Rising, of the Cross into Shadows storyline, and why?* What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?

It was hard to avoid the sense of being on a set track, for the finale,, and this is perhaps the hardest part of an epic story: To make the end anything as surprising and wonderful as the journey towards that conclusion. This was offset, though, by some wonderful surprises along the way, which appear to be leading into future stories.

Stone's return really drew my character out of his usual detachment. The ferocity this inspired left me a little surprised, and lent a sense of absolute surety to how my guy behaved.
My character's involvement, quietly, in something I saw as potentially critical to how part of the story turned out, was quite rewarding.
The way those who initially followed Cross were haunted by that choice, later, became very important to how my character saw his own role develop, as a friend and adviser. This was perhaps the biggest surprise, for me.

Yes. I essentially made him near the beginning of this story, with no idea where it was going to lead. He's become far more involved, personally, with those around him than I ever expected, but, at the same time, has maintained a very independent perspective on what is important.

Not as much as it did the first year of the story. I just can't do the late hours the way I used to.

Yes. Things to do with the Empire. Things to do with Stone. Things to do with the Star. Krolvin things. Political things. Religious things. Pretty much, things relating to the story you've already spun, and probably any new ideas you care to throw in. I like what you've done.

I like epic, but a few smaller arcs would probably be good, for a bit, perhaps building back into something bigger.

8-12pm est weeknights. Staying up later has gotten HARD!

I'd love to see more stories taking us into parts of the Turamzzyrian Empire. This was such a huge pleasure, over the past year, that I've developed a taste for it. The hunting, the places and things and foods and wow! This was great! Of course, I'm also open to playing tourist in other cultures and locales.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/20/2015 09:20 AM CST
>>But lines need be drawn..its one thing to have distant reports of the horrors of war..quite another in actual 'real time' depiction, of images of crying children suffering immolation (or worse) at the hands of demonic monsters. When that 'line' was crossed, I stepped away from much more than helping defenders at sieges.

I agree, being a game, there's still a level of balance that needs to be found. There's been a few, dark moments involving children in the last four years, and it's nothing I do lightly, and nothing I push for long. The scene with the girl trapped beyond the portal to Mestanir was it was closing, was actually not even gruesome or bloody. In fact, I never even showed her dying. It was merely the sense of hopelessness that I wanted to get across, and many PC's, and even my NPC Pylasar were haunted and changed because of it. But I think I was able to get across the sad message of the fall of Mestanir, without describing anyone melting, dying, etc, soldier or child.

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/20/2015 09:23 AM CST
>>We need to consider what I call.. town buzz.. after this or that thing happens, one should be able to go into Helga's and sit at the bar and eavesdrop on the commoner's conversations. Since that does not happen (although, there's an idea for ya*), we have the posts on the boards which equate to the same sorta thing.

I did this briefly, with an NPC dockworker on the North Docks before Shadows began. He had 5 or so rumors you could ask about. Then because of Shadows, I never got around to updating him like I wanted to on atleast a quarterly basis, so I moved him away for now. I intend to revisit this, and a few other options in the coming months. Rumor mills are fun!

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/20/2015 09:34 AM CST
>>Hopefully I am imagining that Chapter 3 involved Barnom the Lich King, and Chapter 4 is what's happened since that time, and this is basically correct (starting roughly with shrine desecration, etc, in December 2013).

Close? hehe. Cross into Shadows, itself, was broken into 4 chapters. The Imperial Spark, Gathering Darkness, The Face of Evil, and Demon Rising. Those chapters stretched from Dec 2013 to Jan 2015.

The overall saga? Began in Sept 2010 with another 14 month epic, that spanned from Sept 2010 to Jan 2012 called "Beyond the Arkati". That was then followed up by two shorter storylines, all kind of tied in, which was the Star of Khar'ta (2012) and All the Lich King's Men (2013).

WHEW. Hehe.

>>I feel like I was waiting for something more about the demons that I never really saw. There were demons invading town sometimes. I saw some summoning circles on some krolvin ships. And eventually there was the demon wall. As the player of a character very interested, and at least marginally well-versed in, the study of the valences, I was rather surprised to find there was really nothing actually interesting going on with demons at all (or if there was, I never really found out about it or made the connection). Demons were at best sideline players, and maybe I just got tired of waiting, or parsed over summaries of events too quickly, but anyway that was my feeling. It sucks to see NPCs and other entities in game doing major demonic summoning when even after all is said and done, players of demonologists were left right back where we started. Anyway, I at least learned nothing more about demons, either in theory or in practice. So the title seems deceptive to that end.

Yeah, the title "Demon Rising" was more in reference to the demon Althedeus, rising to power, and trying to cross over. It was less about vathors, etc. Although they did show up at the Demonwall a lot, and even in the Landing! And part of the Demonwall did crumble....and some big demon called the Wastewalker is still out there....

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/20/2015 09:35 AM CST
>>The room descs in the shadow land. I really enjoyed what I read of them. They seemed almost too good for an event like this, where hardly anyone could stop for a minute and let them sink in.

Xayle did an awesome job on these rooms (and now we question her sanity even more). But it may not be the last time you see these rooms....who knows!

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/20/2015 09:51 AM CST

>>Xayle did an awesome job on these rooms (and now we question her sanity even more).

Mwuahahaha.

Maybe I should make those rooms into my office seg for New Years this year.

~ X.
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/20/2015 10:07 AM CST
>>It was hard to avoid the sense of being on a set track, for the finale,, and this is perhaps the hardest part of an epic story: To make the end anything as surprising and wonderful as the journey towards that conclusion. This was offset, though, by some wonderful surprises along the way, which appear to be leading into future stories.

I think this hits it really good. A lot of the fun of Shadows, was the flexibility, the ability to make it twist and turn depending on the players, and the finale was definitely less of that element, with no real way around it per se. Heck, even once I thought, wouldn't it be a nice twist if they couldn't destroy Althedeus, but instead divert him into another realm, essentially signing the death sentence for that world, while saving their own? hehe. But I did still enjoy the finale, and any shortcomings I've learned from and hopefully endings can be a little more organic, at least that's the goal! :)

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - Feedback 01/20/2015 10:28 AM CST
>>I think the common thread from the last couple points is I didn’t see a convincing story that our characters should be changed when they came out of the shadow land. There’s enough backstory there to RP it, and Aralyte said we’d all be changed, sure, but we came out of there without a very rich set of events to suggest that our characters really altered their minds/souls/hearts/spirits/whatever with their time there.

Folks who attacked Althedeus will, or should be noticing those shivers and whispered voices.

I would like to tell you that is all, and not just the beginning....but I cannot. Mwu ha ha haha.

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Prev_page Previous 1