Prev_page Previous 1
Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/11/2020 11:48 PM CDT
After reviewing some of the results of the player survey about Rangers, one of the goals that we wanted to achieve was encouraging archetypes, specifically centered on ranged/melee combat vs. the more spell-heavy "druid" style of Ranger. When we started thinking about Ascension ideas along this vein, we realized that it would require a review over the Ranger spell circle itself before we could continue.

A lot of this review is based around the expansion of "Nature" damage that was introduced years ago with Resist Nature (620), and creating synergies between spells and physical combat to encourage a more dynamic attack style that takes advantage of both. Other changes are more for quality of life and the modernization of mechanics.

The summary of the proposed changes can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k6dEeEhpsnyaFOePHUvPwxT7fUQ0IfyzLcsul2VZEEs/edit?usp=sharing

We are currently in the coding stage, and plan to release the updates to the Test instance when they are ready.

-M.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 02:14 AM CDT
Thats one hefty review.

One point wasn't clear to me. Is the halving of 620 on metal armors going as well as the mushrooms?
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 02:21 AM CDT
>One point wasn't clear to me. Is the halving of 620 on metal armors going as well as the mushrooms? -RATHBONER

Metal armors will receive the full resistance benefits from the permanent version of 620.

-M.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 05:25 AM CDT
So... I needed a good 90 minutes to even take all of this in, but I have to say, rangers might just have become GS' best profession design in my eyes. Not necessarily saying they'll be my favorites or anything, but just saying this is exactly what modern GS spell design should look like. Almost top to bottom, one ranger spell after another is slated for updates to make them more dynamic, multipurpose, and just plain interesting.

If I can figure out how to be more articulate about these awesome changes at some point, I'll come back and do just that, but right now I'm over the moon and more excited about rangers than I've been since the late 90s. They simply fell further and further behind with outdated (if not necessarily bad) spells and this update is an incredible and sorely needed breath of fresh air.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 05:41 AM CDT
Actually, everything, top to bottom, looks like a massive net nerf for creatures, pures, and rangers in disguise which will result in nothing but cookie cutter builds with mediocre levels of power from before.

We will soon all be able to do everything the same way equally poorly. Not a fan of anything that has been going on since March, from the massive ranged wreckage for anyone with decent high-end gear, to skill training adjustments, to now this.

I'll also be able to happily stop spending on any pay event extras for this game entirely because it's so unstable, it's literally a waste of time and money. I'm more afraid of wasting time and money to have everything ripped apart 2 months later now than of missing out on anything.

Oh well, the end of an era.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 08:03 AM CDT

I think that's a pretty solid review, how much mana does the bolt version of 611 cost?
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 08:16 AM CDT
This owns.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 08:37 AM CDT
As someone who has played a ranger as my main character for two decades -- and has a total of ten rangers with a wide variety of training paths -- I am utterly stoked to see this incredibly comprehensive review of the profession and its spell circle. I know I haven't been able to fully process each proposed change, but what I have latched on is that it will further allow me to explore the even more diverse training styles that are going to be available to my heart's content. For about a decade, I sort of lamented the fact that rangers had been so well designed and balanced from the start that they saw virtually no attention from dev. However this review makes me glad that they aren't the profession that's forgotten simply because it's the best - they're still getting additional dev and support in spite of (or because of) that. I especially appreciate 1) that the recent TownCrier survey on Rangers was so thoroughly considered and 2) many of what I consider to be core Ranger facets will remain in some form (such as innate Whispering Willow with 605 being replaced).

Thank you for this.

- EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 08:57 AM CDT
Initial response to re-write:
- Wow that's a lot of SMRv2.
- Will self-mana items that currently cast Foraging/603, be updated to have the effect (so, become Nature's Bounty/604) or to cast the same spell (so become Wild Entropy/603)?
- Is there anything else available to turn into SMRv2 on that list?
- There was some item--I think at a high-end Auction recently?--that did Barkskin, like the Treekin in the Red Forest do. Is that (or 'those', if there are several of them) getting updated to this spell/605, or is that already what they did?
- Have I mentioned that that's a lot of SMRv2?
- Are other lists going to receive similar attention & updates? (See also "Krakii's Gigantic Tome of 'What's Wrong On The Bard List', now in it's 17th publication.")
- No really: SMRv2. Seriously.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 09:24 AM CDT
Just C/Ping what I said on Discord>Mechanics:

Anyway, I want to reiterate that these ranger spell changes are the most exciting thing I've seen for rangers in literally 15 years. This opens up the profession to a viable casting path and adds a level of modern complexity and cross-spell interaction that makes the entire spell list feel more vibrant and engaging. Thank you for integrating so many long standing suggestions into it (CS damage version of 609, lightning for 620, etc) and for going SO far beyond what I think anyone had ever proposed on the ranger boards. @Estild @Oscuro @Naijin @Mestys

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 09:26 AM CDT
>- Will self-mana items that currently cast Foraging/603, be updated to have the effect (so, become Nature's Bounty/604) or to cast the same spell (so become Wild Entropy/603)?

Hopefully they will be updated to the new 604 and receive both benefits.

>- There was some item--I think at a high-end Auction recently?--that did Barkskin, like the Treekin in the Red Forest do. Is that (or 'those', if there are several of them) getting updated to this spell/605, or is that already what they did?

The glowbark barks. There are about 4-5 of them. 5x/day Barkskin, which was 1719 or something. From what I've read here, their functionality will not change at all if they're just updated to the new 605.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 09:28 AM CDT
My Ranger is an Archer, a "physical" Ranger. I have no interest in turning it into a Druid. I often rely on Tangle Weed as a setup. It worries me that the fact 610 may end up "with success modified by Summoning lore" will in practical terms mean that at no Summoning Lore it will be near useless.

I see a lot of boosts to Weedmages and not much for "ranged/melee combat." Am I missing something?

Avaia, player of
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 09:36 AM CDT
Avaia, the way I read it I think you will be pleased:
- you are high level, so you have Nature's Touch/625 on all the time;
- you use a set-up spell like Tangle Weed/610 on many creatures;
- this is now a SMRv2 spell, so--like Earthen Fury/917--it is probably hideously effective;
- since it was "an offensive spell", your Nature's Touch may fire off a benefit to your next physical attack;
- then you attack, and reap that benefit;
- since you have made physical attacks, Nature's Touch may fire off a benefit to your next "offensive spell" (see also, "Tangle Weed on the next poor sap" [heh]).
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 09:40 AM CDT
>Avaia

There’s quite a bit that will benefit you: the new barkskin defense, the 610 attack rounds being reduced to 8 sec from 10, the AS boost from strength drained by 610, breeze RT flares and self-haste effect, and the debuff flares from 625.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 11:49 AM CDT
This is friggin' awesome, and makes me want to play my ranger(s) more!

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 01:46 PM CDT

Just....wow. After just finally reaching cap after decades, I am letting all this sink in, and realizing I will have to figure out a new path to train in now.

One thing I had always would liked to see from 610 was a way, using EVOKE to have a chance at more then one vine for a bit of crowd control, minus any enfeebling effects. Similar to 709, however the amount of vines would be based on summon lore.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 02:51 PM CDT
Can 609 vs. hiding bonus be considered? (This one's a pretty old item from the rogue folders.)

Anything to replace the former effect of 612 vs. clouds, or just 119? I'm going to miss that.

For 619, skipping targets that are already calmed will prevent the spell from refreshing its duration. Is this intended?
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/12/2020 09:34 PM CDT
>- this is now a SMRv2 spell, so--like Earthen Fury/917--it is probably hideously effective;

With spells and abilities changing over to SMRv2 - it's still irritating we're not given the ins and outs on how to properly defend or at least the ins and outs of how some spells help boost your defense.

While I enjoy 917 and how it can punish those I use it on, I absolutely hate having SMRv2 (or SMR or CML for that matter) used against my pures. Pures sorely lack the ability to train in as many physical skills SMRv2 defense gets boosted from....

PF = can only 1x
Dodging = can only 1x at an extreme cost of 20/20
CM = can only 1x at a hefty cost, but yet cheaper than dodging
Perception = can 2x, but the cost to do so pre-cap isn't a beneficial enough reason for a small few points of SMRv2 defense to gimp other necessary skills you need the TPs for
Shield Use = when applicable for skills that use it, can only 1x
Survival = can only 1x, but this only helps defend against some bandit traps

3 out of the 4 main skills that help bolster your SMRv2 defense, pures can only 1x in.
Then you get empaths that can train the shit out of PF at 3x (which matches what Warriors and Monks can do).

More and more that changes over to SMRv2 means pures are getting more and more skills used against them they can't defend well (or at all) against due to lack of skills they can train in and based on how little we know about actually defending against them.

Players don't know how everything impacts SMRv2 success and defense. We can speculate, but only so much and everything else is a guessing game.
- SMRv2 is heavily based on caster level vs defender level. Higher the level the caster, the easier it is to hit the defender.
- SMRv2 is pretty much based on open RNG rolls. I've had casts of 917 fail by -300+ before and I've had them go the other way and go over 300+. I constantly see open rolls of 101-200. I'm not complaining that I see them a lot on my casts of 917, but I do see them a lot against my pures, too. Nothing like moving through an area you can pretty much ignore anything in the room and all of a sudden BAM! your screen scrolls with all your spells because you died because a creature 12 levels under you got some cheap ass high open roll and blasted a hole through you.
- Over training heavily in armor provides a very tiny amount of SMRv2 defense.
- Spells designed to aid in SMRv2 defense give very little in terms of SMRv2 defense based on all my testing.
- There is a ceiling cap on the negative bonus your character can have against them whether you're over 15% encumbered or wearing armor you sorely under trained for...I don't know what exactly contributes to this number, I just know you cannot exceed whatever it is for your character. You could have zero armor training, put on some metal breastplate and hit your max penalty. You could then remove the armor and wear no armor, then carry around a million silvers and hit that max penalty due to encumbrance. Now, if you kept that metal breastplate on, then carried around a million silvers...your penalty doesn't double up, it still sits at that max penalty you got from just wearing the armor or just carrying a million silvers.
- It also appears that the higher in level you get, the less of a bonus you receive from skills that help you defend against SMRv2.
- I don't know how my stats specifically help in my defense against SMRv2 - other than AGI is primary and DEX/INT are secondary.
- I don't know what racial benefits are there for SMRv2 defense or penalty

I'm not saying other classes shouldn't get fun SMRv2 based spells, but the rate things are shifting in that direction the game is turning more into a RNG death fest due to the open roll system tied to SMRv2. Sure, we're seeing updated items/spells/creatures and stuff coming around, but the cheap deaths are still there and no matter how much you pay for a pretty piece of armor or special tool or fancy weapon, you can't mitigate the open roll RNG system tied to SMRv2.

I think in all, how to properly defend from SMRv2 and how each spell benefits from skill ranks and/or stats should be given out to players.
For example we're told training Wizard spell ranks boosts 917 - but not by what amount. My research shows every level over 17, you earn +1 for each spell rank up to your level. After that you earn +.5 for every spell rank over your level....but I don't know if this is 100% accurate.
I don't know how much exactly 913 helps defend against SMRv2 - my testing goes to show it provided maybe 3 points of SMRv2 defense for the characters I was testing with.
I don't know exactly how much SMRv2 defense 911 gives either since it appears the higher level you are, the less your skills give in return for SMRv2 defense.
I don't know if my characters stats play any role in their success for casting 917.
All I know is I cast the spell 917, as long as I have around like level wizard ranks, it should work pretty good.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/13/2020 08:50 AM CDT
My habit against Earthen Fury had been formed by my SorcerBard, which was, "flee the room because you're toast." So I was doing the same thing with my Monk...
...until I saw that the Monk was getting it cast at him and the numbers went DOWN. (So the d100 said "87" but the net result was "68".)

So I stopped caring about Earthen Fury for him.

Then I saw an open roll, and he wasn't able to do anything because of the stun. <mutter, curse, swear>

But I have not yet seen any of the 300+ rolls you are talking about, so I will count myself lucky.

Perhaps one mitigation could be that there was a CAP on the open rolls? "You get up to ONE extra roll," not a true open (keep churning out +d100 as long as you hit >=95 on any given result).

Players could still see their spells still get an extra boost, but results against players would have a hard cap that could limit how much we take.

A second possible mitigation is to have the "attacker level benefit versus target" be reduced as a percentage? Characters are never going to get higher in level, they're pretty much pegged at 100. But a 140th level creature caster that gets set up in an area as a post-cap challenge is going to just smoke PCs....
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/13/2020 04:22 PM CDT
sniff It's just so beautiful. Looks like 2020's gonna be a good year after all!

I'm not crying you're crying.

-Mnar's player
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/14/2020 12:00 AM CDT
Speaking to 620, with the EBP system I could see Resist Nature being applied to both block and parry checks for some benefit. Add resistance to a shield and on a block there's a chance to activate a reactive flare based on the resistance type or it could perhaps absorb energy that could be activated later in the form of a flare or a boon to AS/DS. Same with parry on the weapons. This could also lead to adding flares to weapons as well, since you have just about every basic flare covered.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/14/2020 02:17 AM CDT
Damn it! I've wanted to do a druid-type ranger for years, and I have tried several times and have never been able to get it to work. And now you do this to me. I do not need to start another character. I have way too many now. And there's no way I will be able to resist this. Thanks a lot.

:)

P.S. This review looks great. Thanks for your work on it.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 08/14/2020 09:20 AM CDT
I... uh... have something in my eye.

As a prior designer of much of the spell circle, I am really liking this so far.

(Reading the doc again...)
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 09/02/2020 09:13 AM CDT
<My Ranger is an Archer, a "physical" Ranger. I have no interest in turning it into a Druid. I often rely on Tangle Weed as a setup. It worries me that the fact 610 may end up "with success modified by Summoning lore" will in practical terms mean that at no Summoning Lore it will be near useless.

I see a lot of boosts to Weedmages and not much for "ranged/melee combat." Am I missing something?

Avaia, player of>

Overall, love the attention the ranger class has finally been given. Great to see some really cool ideas.

That said, I do agree with Avaia, I feel like some of the changes are missing the mark on the stated goal "one of the goals that we wanted to achieve was encouraging archetypes, specifically centered on ranged/melee combat vs. the more spell-heavy "druid" style of Ranger."

Looking thru and imagining the usage of most of this, I would say its actually the opposite, its boosting the druid/caster portion much more heavily than the melee physical portion. I see extremely minimal improvements on the ranged side and melee side (+10AS that you have to micromanage is kinda minimal). But on the spells side, I see all these new abilities like 603, 609, 611, etc.

If anything, I think this will boost the druid path more and continue to leave the physical path improved but still lacking. At well post-cap, rangers are behind rogues and to a lesser extent warriors in archery offensively due to the benefits of 425 which rangers don't have anything to compensate without sacrificing a lot more mana and RT to do multiple setups (to which rogues and warriors also can do).

So love the changes overall but still wishing for something for the physical ranger. Hopefully there's more changes in store for animal companions to perhaps synergize the physical rangers better.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 10/28/2020 02:42 AM CDT
>The summary of the proposed changes can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k6dEeEhpsnyaFOePHUvPwxT7fUQ0IfyzLcsul2VZEEs/edit?usp=sharing -M(e).

I've been keeping this document up to date with the coding/QC progress of the various updates. The last of the scripts have gone into QC at this point, with the exception of 620. I expect to update Test with these scripts within the next few days.

-M.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 10/28/2020 11:16 AM CDT
Will Evoke'd 612 continue to be able to scatter clouds/effects? Or is that completely gone from the ranger kit?

... Does 119 work on all those effects that we would otherwise use 612 towards?
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 10/28/2020 11:26 AM CDT
Nevermind, it just got pointed out that it's FRIENDLY clouds/etc from the 612 changes.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 10/28/2020 09:17 PM CDT
I didn't see it mentioned, but will there be any review of how open-cast 609 works against players in hiding? I haven't checked recently but I believe it's still automatic success.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 10/31/2020 01:39 PM CDT
>I've been keeping this document up to date with the coding/QC progress of the various updates. The last of the scripts have gone into QC at this point, with the exception of 620. I expect to update Test with these scripts within the next few days. -M(e).

The changes are now in the Test instance. The character manager skill changes are also included in this update to Test, which are detailed here:
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Combat,%20Magic,%20and%20Character%20Mechanics/Character%20Creation,%20Stats,%20and%20Skills/view/517

The updated skill costs may only be accessed through the in-game character manager, accessible at any inn. The web manager will not reflect the changes.

Please leave any feedback for the Ranger Spell Review you may have here. Feedback for the character manager skill changes can be made at the thread linked above.

-M.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 11/01/2020 10:09 PM CST
So far liking the spells but here a few of my comments so far:

- Barkskin is way too short. Is it possible to bump up to 2 or 5 minutes. if its a worry of balance, since its gone after it flares, at least 2 minutes please?
- Can we get a review of 610 vine immunity please? I know its been said in discord its not part of this, I'm still going to put it here as a reminder of the ask since there is the new affect of a boost when the ranger meets conditions of a successful vine attack. Sucks we can't use that boost on certain monsters that are fully immuned.
- 603 Wild Entropy. I love the damage done but from a RP point of view, I'm trying to determine how my ranger feels about making something rot. I love to be able to pull from a different set of messaging similar to empath healing messages. Maybe an idea of a swarm of spiders come out of the area to rip apart the target?

I'll probably play around in under hunting to try to get use to the spells and hopefully in a few nights I can go to a capped hunting area and see how these spells work there. I can definitely see how these spells will be awesome for those on the journey to cap though.

Thanks for the great work,

Pup
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 11/02/2020 07:04 PM CST
Death & decay is just the natural course of things, you're just... helping it along a little. :)
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 11/03/2020 10:57 AM CST

It appears 612 needs to be flagged to be allowed to cast in sanctified rooms.

K>incant 612
You gesture while summoning the spirits of nature to aid you with the Breeze spell...
Your spell is ready.
Be at peace my child, there is no need for spells of war in here.

Also, 610. I understand creature immunities may be getting looked at after release which is great. But if creatures are still immune (which I'm ok with) can we at least have the vine not auto focus on them and instead switch to something else? Since you cannot STOP 610 once it has been cast and you cannot target another creature to cast 610 at to summon a new vine OR retarget the existing vine...you're kinda hosed for a bit.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 11/10/2020 01:15 PM CST
I am noticing some pretty funky behavior with 608 and my companion.

I have 40 blessing lore so 608 should hide her but it doesn't always seem to work.

Also sometimes my companion will just sit there for 15+ seconds after an attack command without doing anything.

Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You blend into invisibility among the surroundings.
A cloud sloth blends into invisibility among the surroundings.
Cast Roundtime 2 Seconds.
H>tell comp to attack
Your companion senses your atavistic feelings and her raw untamed emotions begin to surface, as she turns her attention fully towards the forest trali (M8L) that she believes is the source of your irritation.
H>
A forest trali (M8L) grunts and shrugs off the thorny vine.
H>
A forest trali (M8L) struggles to rise but fails in the attempt.
H>l
[Gyldemar Green, Forest - 4824]
A break in the woods heads southward, while the trail continues to the east and west. Under the shade of a large oak tree are several long mounds of dirt. Atop each mound stones have been arranged to form a circle, with a larger stone placed in the center. You also see some glowing violet essence dust, a shard of rainbow quartz, some glowing violet essence dust, a metal wand, a battered shield, a thorny vine, a forest trali (M8L) that is lying down and a battered shield.
Obvious paths: east, south, west
H>
H>
A forest trali (M8L) leaps to his feet!
H>
H>l
[Gyldemar Green, Forest - 4824]
A break in the woods heads southward, while the trail continues to the east and west. Under the shade of a large oak tree are several long mounds of dirt. Atop each mound stones have been arranged to form a circle, with a larger stone placed in the center. You also see some glowing violet essence dust, a shard of rainbow quartz, some glowing violet essence dust, a metal wand, a battered shield, a thorny vine, a forest trali (M8L) and a battered shield.
Obvious paths: east, south, west
H>
A forest trali (M8L) examines some marks on the ground.
A forest trali (M8L) sniffs the air in confusion.
H>
The earthy, sweet aroma surrounding a forest trali (M8L) dwindles as the murky haze disperses.
H>
The thorny vine suddenly stops moving, drops to the ground, and dissolves away.
H>fire
You nock a fiery orange rowan arrow in your bow.
You fire a fiery orange rowan arrow at a forest trali (M8L)!
AS: +329 vs DS: +172 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +35 = +222
... and hit for 65 points of damage!
Slash strikes the forest trali (M8L)'s left eye.
Seems there was a brain there after all.
A forest trali (M8L) collapses upon the ground and the life fades from his eyes.
The arrow sticks in a forest trali (M8L)'s left eye!
Roundtime: 4 sec.
HR>
A cloud sloth darts from the shadows!
A cloud sloth sniffs at the corpse of a forest trali (M8L)

And here is an example of 608 NOT hiding my AC.

[Gyldemar Green, Camp - 4837]
Three small lean-tos are nestled between a pair of towering pine trees. A sprawling thanot bush has been carefully cut-away, remnants and pieces of its wood woven together lie at the opening of a lean-to. A crude cutting knife is impaled in a piece of the wood, perhaps awaiting future use. You also see a forest trali (P3M).
Obvious paths: east, northwest
Your cloud sloth followed.
>
--- Lich: findnpc has exited.
>incant 611
A forest trali shaman (KDL) skulks into the area.
>
You gesture while summoning the spirits of nature to aid you with the Moonbeam spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a forest trali shaman (KDL).
Tapping the moons above, you draw down a shaft of coruscating moonlight and bathe a forest trali shaman (KDL) in its lucent glow.
[SMR result: 107 (Open d100: -2)]
A forest trali shaman (KDL) is caught fast, the light of the moon arresting his movements.
Nature's blessing of vitality departs as your arcane prowess returns to normal.
Cast Roundtime 1 Second.
>incant 608
You make a simple motion, quietly invoking the Camouflage spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You blend into invisibility among the surroundings.
Cast Roundtime 2 Seconds.
H>
A forest trali shaman (TEL) skulks into the area.
H>
[SMR result: 81 (Open d100: 63)]
A cloud sloth charges forward and gnashes her teeth at a forest trali (P3M), but hits nothing but air.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 11/25/2020 08:27 PM CST

A few first impressions after spending a good chuck of the day playing with these on the test server.

Disclaimer: The interactions on these changes are pretty complex (and impressive). I’m sure I will change my mind completely wrong about at least some of this - and that I am missing many things.

Well Deserved Praise.

This is a remarkable overhaul of an existing class. It has a ton of quality of life. It doesn’t break anything existing that I can see. Wow!

I think the improvements for physical rangers are being under-rated by many because the mechanism for change is “spells” and the starting point was a "druid" like build. If paladin’s changes are aiming for combat enhanced by magic, this is kind of like magic enhanced by combat. Still very much a semi. People make runestaff builds now, so I am sure they still will, but this has something for everyone and pushes in a more dynamic direction.

Magical combat (where I spent most of my time) is dynamic and has lots of flavor. The way the spells interact and layer on each other reminds me a little of the new cleric spells.

There is a clear through line and design here, and it feels like it builds on the class. Yay.

Gaps?

Disclaimer: This is not core to the design of what’s on the test server, but rather thoughts about how it might be developed in future inspired by the current changes.

Spells like 625 incentivize using both a weapon and magic. I think this is good! Taking it further might use lores so that this “combination” path can better compensate for the blind spots that incentivize other training plans (for example: pure magic focus arguably allows for hunting a wider variety of creatures than archery. Maybe some lores to get a waylay type option for bows. TWC physical builds with MOC allows rangers to handle crowds - maybe a different lore path to help cover that weakness).

I also wonder about magic leaning ranger’s whose mana pool built around COL mechanic (and not using any combat as a result), but maybe the recent mana changes mean it doesn’t matter?

One nice thing about these changes is that taken together I don’t think they actually change the overall power level of rangers that much. Some may complain, but the upside is that it leaves room to tweak, and power is overrated.

Spike thorn is now less an “all-in-one” spell. You need to set it up more now. Some won’t like this, but I think it is a big win for fun & flavor. It does add time to combat. That’s a good trade-off for most of the game - but I wonder about the endgame when every second matters - getting caught in round time when something else walks in is too deadly. Just as the cleric spells are fun for a while but in the end a lot of people end up just 317/240 - only with this the old spike thorn is not longer there. Not sure what to do (an amped up tangle weed running the background to protect you from the unexpected? More “get out of RT” spell/maneuver’s?, AOE review? I dunno really tackling that is probably a whole different design doc that cuts across classes).

In any case, those are my thoughts. Hope they help.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 11/30/2020 11:30 AM CST
After spending some time on the test server, I really wanted to extend my kudos to all those who came up with the new ranger spell revamp. It's really enjoyable, I love the variety, and I love the various synergies between not just the spells themselves, but the benefits between physical and magical as well. It makes rangers feel like a true semi-class, with a foot in both worlds (physical and magical).

Upon coming back to the main game after spending time in test, my first impression was just how DULL the old (current) system is. It's basically just 616 over and over again, maybe sometimes with a 610 thrown in. Maybe with an occasional something else thrown in, but mostly just 616. It feels so stagnant compared to the new system.

In the new system I loved playing around with different openers, and different combinations (moon before sun, or sun first, or the new wild entropy first). I loved the changes to call wind and our new flares, the new speed and bonuses to tangleweed, and while I did notice spikethorn seemed slightly less powerful, I was fine with that because I had so many other tools to play with now. It made combat fun, rather than the same boring slog it's been for decades. Especially as a melee user, physical melee users have always felt at a disadvantage in Gemstone compared to pures, and I loved small changes like where using certain spells can reduce my physical roundtime (thank you!), or other attacks could reduce my cast roundtime. It felt dynamic, and fun. Same with how certain spells could boost my AS, etc. Suddenly combat wasn't just 'spam one spell over and over', but it felt like a moving puzzle block where different combinations gave different results, and it was FUN.

I didn't test out any of the new nature resistance or imbed mechanics, so I can't comment on that, although I am looking forward to trying out the resistances on armor soon (and I hope it becomes a useful and viable service to offer others). Imbedding I've never felt attached to or had an interest in, and that hasn't changed for me reading the spell updates, but maybe playing around with it in test might change my mind. I dunno.

Otherwise, I don't really have any negatives or complaints about the spell updates. They are really well thought out, very in-character for a semi ranger class, and they are all fun and combo with each other in neat ways. I really really want to thank the GMS and team that came up with the new designs, and also thank you for reading and listening to the Ranger survey that went out a while back. This is fantastic dev work.

Also, lastly but not leastly, thank you for the extra little buffs to Animal Companions, and especially for letting them enter the broken lands/shadow valley/rift areas. It makes a big difference to be able to fight alongside one's companions in those areas, and the extra little level boost and changes help make the companions feel more like hunting buddies rather than just glorified roleplaying props.

Overall I can't wait for this to go live, thank you for the great designs and for giving the ranger class a big breath of fresh air.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 11/30/2020 11:51 AM CST
Sorry for the long posts, one last little set of notes and (minor) critiques. (The long post above is my glowing praise, this one is my minor criticisms haha)

- First I meant to type imbue in my post above (not embed).

- Secondly I didn't actually use barkskin very much. I LOVE that it's a part of our kit now, but its duration/benefits seem too small/short to be of much use. I think both the original 60 sec duration is too small, and/or the 5 min wait-to-recast window too large. And/or the chance of enduring too small. It only prevents ONE attack, and I kept forgetting to use it or try to keep it active because it seemed too short and not useful enough. If it had maybe a 5 min duration window after the original cast I'd remember to cast it before leaving to hunt, or if it had a faster recast time than 5 minutes I'd remember to keep it active during a hunt, or if it had better chances of persisting I'd use it more. I dunno, currently it was something I thought 'oh cool!' and also 'thematically appropriate!' but then kept forgetting to actually keep in use because it felt a little too limited to remember to pay attention to.

- And lastly, I love the design of 650 (assume aspect) a LOT. It's a really fun spell design with a lot of variety in how it's used, and I love that (as I've posted on these forums before). It's fun, and flavorful. However it feels very slightly underpowered for a 50-mana top-of-class spell circle spell. I enjoy now that we can set one aspect for its full duration, but at half-effect it doesn't quite seem worth the mana using. It's always felt SLIGHTLY underpowered for a 50-mana spell in the old (current) system, and the new changes don't do much to effect that. If anything, I'd love to just be able to select an aspect for the full duration without the half-power loss. Or maybe even keep the existing system, but maybe add a bonus to switching aspects or something to encourage changing them. I don't know. It's a wonderfully designed spell, with a lot of creativity and rangerly theme, I just wish it had a tiny bit more oomph, and I like the thought process behind the update but the half-power restriction makes me not want to use it the new way at all over the old way.

Wracking my brain for any other feedback, if I think of anything I'll post it. Overall though, again, kudos on the new changes, I love them and can't wait for them to go live.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 11/30/2020 05:24 PM CST

I have to heavily second that barkskin is too short even for situational use. 1 minute is easy to burn through when you are in deep. Will it really break the game to give is 3 to 5 minutes? This spell goes away after one attack so I don't see the damage giving a bit longer duration without stacking. As the spell is right now I simply will not be using it.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 12/01/2020 04:16 AM CST
I have to agree with others saying that Barkskin's duration is too short and will prolly never be used as a result.

In normal hunting, most rangers aren't going to NEED this spell cause their defenses are pretty solid even without outside spells. Doing bandit tasks, I can see the spell falling just as the they enter a room the bandit's in. In invasions/warcamps there's going to be so many attacks coming in so fast by the time you'd be putting it up that it wouldn't do much good and you really should be spamming 635 or retreating anyway.... if you're not already disabled or dead.

I have a few different suggestions for ways it could be modified that would make it more likely to actually be used (only thinking that one of them would be implemented, not all of them):

* Barkskin is pretty much a more powerful version of 115 (aside from it's too short duration). Just narrow the scope of what triggers it, keep having it drop when it's triggered, and give it the same duration as 115.

* Since I have a hunch that it's meant more for Rangers that haven't learned 640 then those that have, give it a 10 minute duration when it's learned and have its duration reduced by 10 sec for every Ranger spell learned beyond 605, with a floor of 1-2 minutes.

* Make it so it's cast on a critter and prevents it's next offensive action, similar to how 703 works. Blessings lore could either increase the number of actions it prevents OR the number of critters it can hit when cast.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 12/01/2020 05:48 PM CST

I almost think the barkskin should "regrow" after a certain amount of time. 30 seconds? I fully agree that 5 minutes is way too long. The only time I ever see myself using it is with the lore benefit of being incapacitated.
Re: Ranger Spell Review 2020. 12/03/2020 09:24 PM CST
It's probably late to be asking for this, but a nice extension of Animal Companion would be to allow a ranger to guard another person - say a younger character you might be mentoring or helping out. Or a child or client you're escorting.
Prev_page Previous 1