RoL Brooch Proposal - Instant Change of Ring Bonus Type 04/11/2021 09:31 AM CDT
I'm putting forth this proposal for a number of reasons which I'll go into below. My suggestion is that instead of the current 1x a month or only during RoL, the brooch be changed to allow you to change to use ANY of the benefits at ANY time. There's a number of reasons I believe this is a warrant changed.

First - lets face it, 99%, if not higher, of the brooch uses are for instant absorb. There's just no way around it, its by far the best use of this brooch. What this also means is that the other 4 functions are for all intents and purposes, going unused.

Second - because of the big diminishing returns of increasing runs in one function, it makes for a not good feeling to get such minimal rewards. Allowing people to change functions will encourage more spending because they'll be willing to spend a bit to improve the other functions instead.

So the question then becomes, why is this a bad idea?

Argument 1 - its overpowered to allow you to choose!

I don't see this as a real argument if you consider that instant absorb is by far the best and more frequent use. Since you're still limited by the # of uses per day, you're sacrificing up to 1000 experience instantly when you use it for something else. So if you prefer to get a bit more bounty points, then you're sacrificing experience. if you're getting better advguild task rolls, you're sacrificing experience. And its already proven that people are valuing experience the most. The only area that I think it might be questioned is +field exp. But again - instead of getting 1000 extra mind pool, you can just get it instantly absorbed. So while there's times it may be beneficial, instant absorb is still better most of the time.

Argument 2 - what about people that already maxxed their brooch?

Same thing that happened when the 2nd RoL changed the thresholds, instead of max 10x per day, they increased it to 11x per day. So maybe add a 12x per day for the people who really really want to max it out. An extra 1000 exp per day isn't gonna break the game balance but will be a lot of extra money in simu's bank.

Argument 3 - there's a balance to the functions that'll be thrown out.

I argue that the balance has already been thrown out. Almost everyone goes instant absorb because frankly, its really really good. If anything, I think this change STILL doesn't go far enough to make the other functions more appealing but that's a discussion for another day. I expect 98% of people will still be doing instant absorb after this change but it does add a nice small niche for the times they want something else. Chaos function may have to change however - my suggestion is that it still is chaotic but increase the %bonus and also add a new % chance to NOT use up a charge when activated. i.e. 20% chance that it doesn't use up one charge on the next random activation.

Re: RoL Brooch Proposal - Instant Change of Ring Bonus Type 04/11/2021 07:46 PM CDT
I agree, it's a shame the other uses see little activity as that also means those puzzles and questions largely go unseen.

I thought the ZL thing was neat to drive traffic there but as someone who has had two rings since the beginning I stopped using the bounty rewards one and basically get less instantly absorbed experience bonus as a result over the years.

I'd still use the other rings sometimes, but with ascension, would not bother for a full 30 day wait again. A couple uses though may come up in niche situations. Right now, I only do so while the grounds are open.

The argument is good that this ability doesn't really give a mechanical advantage to a player as the one they most likely (spiritual/exp) would upgrade is the best one and nearly 100% chosen. It's just utility and probably extra sales for those that don't want to pay a diminishing bonus anymore at the cost.
Re: RoL Brooch Proposal - Instant Change of Ring Bonus Type 04/12/2021 04:45 AM CDT
Given the cost of the ring i agree you should be able to swap functions at any time.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: RoL Brooch Proposal - Instant Change of Ring Bonus Type 04/15/2021 11:34 AM CDT
I'd certainly spend more here myself, if we could switch it anytime (or even once a day).

Would also be nice if there was a simucoin item to be able to migrate bonus points from one pool to another, rather than having to use silvers.
Re: RoL Brooch Proposal - Instant Change of Ring Bonus Type 04/15/2021 01:27 PM CDT

+1 to this request. It would certainly make the brooch more appealing.