Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 12:43 PM CST
> And, again: we have to face 7-100 creatures for a (single) full head of experience.
> They just have to kill us, once, and screw up our whole morning.

It might difficult to notice, but measures to account for this are already in place. They have been in place since the spell and SMRv2 have been released. They may or may not be enough, which is something I'm still keeping an eye on, but they are there.

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 12:54 PM CST
Sorry for the novel, but need to level-set.

I will freely admit that I am being deliberately selective. As I believe you are. I think the difference is I'm deliberately selecting the core game framework's rules for my analysis, rather than what I perceive are one-off spell interaction points.

I'll try to explain.

We're underwhelmed in many cases when the secondary critical for prematurely melting ice (the steam from fire) or shattering ice (the impact from boulder) gives a less-than-fuzzy feeling. I am included in that number. Unfortunately, I also recognize (and I may be one of very few here), that the damage bonus is simply that - a bonus. Would I like it to be more? Sure! However, the Cold Snap (512) spell is intended only to disable - it causes no damage in and of itself. Damage must come from other spells / attacks. In select conditions, the GMs have decided a bonus is warranted. That damage comes from the premature release of the spell's benefit (disable). If the spell wears off normally, there is no bonus. *NB: See important note at end!

Wizards have the tactics to use to limit breaking the disabling spell, if they wish to employ / have trained for it. However, it should also be noted that the core of the wizard's toolbox (fire, earth and water), will shatter the spell's disabling properties. So those tactics can't be used in every situation, every time. Unfortunately, I also recognize (and I may be one of very few here), that tactics are simply that - tactics. They're not something that can be employed every time, everywhere.

Now, we have Earthen Fury - especially the fire / earth version which will definitely cause the Cold Snap spell to be prematurely ended - calling up the bonus, but at the same time returning mobility to the target affected by Earthen Fury. And two very prominent wizards have upped their vocalization of dissatisfaction, by using 'loss of crowd control' as a means to try to emphasize their point.

Sadly, I also recognize (and here, I am likely not one of only a very few) that this argument about 'loss of crowd control' is overstated. Bordering on over-dramatized. I might go so far as to put it in the 'sophistry' category if it were to continue overly long. Why? Very simple:

- Four creatures are in a room.
- Wizard saunters in and casts 512 (maybe even twice) affecting all 4 creatures. A duration timer starts.
- Wizard selects any spell (like 917) other than Cone of Elements Boulder or Fire and targets a single creature.
- One creature very likely is damaged but no longer disabled by Cold Snap.
- The remaining three creatures' status (disabled) is unchanged in all ways via Cold Snap other than duration timer, which decrements.
- i.e. Crowd control from Cold Snap is not lost - what is lost is a disabled status based on Cold Snap on one creature, the targeted creature. This targeted creature may now suffer any penalties suffered because of the attack, though.

As such, the core of the current deliberate argument - 'crowd control is lost' - is simply inaccurate. Which leads to:

>>the negative consequences of having it not do its originally intended job by melting

Fire melts ice. Impacts break ice. Let's up that a bit, for clarity. Magical fire melts magical ice. Magical impacts break magical ice. If the 'negative consequences' of this bonus situation are undesirable, then don't break / melt the ice! Use other tactics. As a side note - I've been considering suggestions about how to compare relative strengths of the fire against the ice. But the best first option to enable that would be to compare lore capabilities - and with most of the lands' wizards appearing to be training in fire over water significantly, I'm not sure such a suggestion would get any traction. And if it did, it likely would be so infrequent for most wizards as to be declared 'useless change'.

All of this preceding (but especially the lore comparison) is a part of the reason why I'd suggested I'd like to see the Cold Earthen Fury attack do something additive with Cold Snap, though. Consider the situation where a wizard could purposefully disable a room, then creature by creature extend that disabling by using ice with ice. That would be a tactic itself, and a strong one, I think. Plus, it has the advantage of likewise fitting within the game framework's rules.

I will say this, though - and part of the reason why I asked the question about your observations, Fleurs, with Nelemar, is caught up in the casting on square creatures (defenders and combatants in particular) that drew my attention earlier. I have questions, but won't ask them in current conditions.

*That important note: I sometimes think we understate the 'bonus' situation significantly. An example: A water-lore based wizard or balanced-lore based wizard (of which I may be one of very few here) should have a distinct advantage in using Cold Snap against heavily armored square-type opponents. I can think of few wizard attacks which can take out 50% of the a target's max hit points. How? A water-lore (50 ranks, balanced remember!) wizard casts 512 twice, then channels Water Bolt (up to four casts / targets), each cast having a 50% chance of doing 50% of the target's max hit points. Lot of 50 in there, I get it. And not quite a sure thing. Just a tactic, but one I'll bet is underemployed amongst the very few water-lore / balanced-lore wizard builds.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 01:22 PM CST
I care that my disablers/crowd control spells disable and immobilize, first and foremost. I don't rely on, nor do I want them to, deal damage if that comes at the expense of the immobilization. Otherwise it would have been a waste of 24 mana and up to 6 seconds of cast RT to have achieved the immobilization in the first place. It doesn't matter whether this applies to a literal crowd, or one creature.

I don't immobilize squares. I immobilize creatures that otherwise don't stun or knock down, i.e. non-corporeal undead. This is true of all of my pures.

I want 512 to retain its immobilization effects above all else, as 316 does and as 1120 does. I don't care about any bonus flare damage. That's why we have spells that actually deal damage, to accomplish the killing. I don't care about the interaction points with other spells. The spells that don't break the ice are far more mana intensive than the spells that do break the ice, and combined with a 24 mana/6 second CT disabler, are inefficient vs. outright killing.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 08:25 PM CST
I'm glad you're keeping an eye on it, Konacon. This morning, I managed to get a result that missed entirely, and both of the two follow-on cycles didn't do anything, either, so not everything has been a disaster every time. (And the last two cycles I was out of the room for.)

And I think I realized the fundamental difference between the posters. You guys are approaching the spell from the standpoint of casters using the spell.
Drumpel and I have been approaching it from the standpoint of targets getting hit by it.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 09:02 PM CST
>>Drumpel and I have been approaching it from the standpoint of targets getting hit by it.

And this is where Fleurs and I vehemently agree - a wizard's best first defense is a killer offense, literally. In short, don't give 'em the satisfaction of getting the cast off.

Then - you're not the target.

Then - no problemo.

Well, at least not for the two of you, most of the time.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 11:12 PM CST
>And this is where Fleurs and I vehemently agree - a wizard's best first defense is a killer offense, literally. In short, don't give 'em the satisfaction of getting the cast off.

Thankfully my bard isn't a wizard....he just get's smoked by a wizard's spell from a creature that's 5 levels under him.

I'll just avoid creatures that cast Earthen Fury since it's literally a killer spell. I mean, it's an odd sensation. It's not like I took a crit to the neck/eye/head from a lowish endroll and hard hitting weapon....and it's not like I caught a bad crit from a spell like 409/415 being cast at me. Getting rolled by a spell that plinks my 139 health bard to death from one cast (100-150 health) sucks.

First (initial) crit is outright painful and the second crit is just as strong (at least seems like it) - if you get caught by either of these and are put on the ground stunned, the added bonus on the third crit cycle usually outweighs the first two since the bonus roll is 70+. By the time the last crit cycle lands (if you're not dead by then) can exceed 100+. It appears that an endroll on the last cycle if it hits upwards of 230, hits just as hard as an endroll on the initial cast or second crit cycle that's around 130.

At least, that's what I've taken from the few Earthen Fury casts my bard took from a creature 5 levels under him. I'd hate to see what happens against a like level or creature that's upwards of 5 levels higher.

-Drumpel
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 09:29 AM CST
>Doug's long post

Your argument is flawed in the fact that a "bonus" that has a cost attached to it (especially when the cost of said "bonus" effect is usually more than what you receive from the "bonus") isn't a bonus.

>Fire melts ice. Impacts break ice.

Pretty sure that breaking ice only applies with water more + CHANNELing the spell. Prep 510 > cast at a frozen target won't break ice. And when it does, if I remember right, it only shatters the body part it hits without removing 512 altogether.

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 09:55 AM CST
>>Methais' short post.

Oh? What cost is that? And I know - amazing to think the GMs actually made sure every wizard in this situation would have at least one tactic to rely on that wouldn't break ice! Unless, that is, you think it's a bug? :X

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 10:32 AM CST
>>Thankfully my bard isn't a wizard

Heh. Nice. Forgot about that.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 12:23 PM CST
The cost, I think, is losing out on the immobilization.

I think Doug's earlier point, though, is a good one: don't want to lose the immobilization, don't cast a spell that breaks it. What, wizards're short on offensive spells?
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 01:18 PM CST
There's no point in immobilizing something for 24 mana and 6 seconds of cast RT if you then need to use mana and time inefficient setups such as 515/low DF bolts or high mana/high DF bolts or 518 to then achieve the kill, vs. outright killing.

The fact remains that the wizard CS-based disabler can be undone with the use of any except a couple spells, while the same is not true for any of the other pures and their core CS-based disablers.

Why I bother to explain these things in a Groundhog Day fashion, I don't know, but I'm no longer engaging in this yet another irrelevant debate of semantics.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 03:17 PM CST

So another spell that i'm mediocre at because I train to immolate mostly :( I tried it and it's eh, I get a bunch of critters dodging me. Some of the subsequent cycles hit sometimes but a bunch of dodging me and I am not seeing much of a bonus if they are on the ground. I do not train in earth though so maybe that's the reason. I am currently at

Elemental Lore - Air...............| 152 52
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 250 150

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 159

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 77

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 67

519, 908 and 415 mostly to hunt the temple and when called for 518. I do well with those spells but was hoping to be better at 917
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 04:26 PM CST
Earlier you were debating about how your killing spells sucked, versus the Spirit ones.

NOW you're debating about whether your disabler sucks, versus the Spirit ones.

Totally different debates.

Methais, it didn't sound like you were casting those spells. :)
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 04:27 PM CST
>I think Doug's earlier point, though, is a good one: don't want to lose the immobilization, don't cast a spell that breaks it. What, wizards're short on offensive spells

Wow! I never thought of that before!

It's a good thing I'm surrounded by people who get totally it.

It's a Christmas miracle. You're the best friend ever Kevin!

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 05:00 PM CST
>>Major Elemental....................| 159

Hmm. . .that's interesting. I guess we should ask if the intent is to have wizards train 'either/or' (Immo / EF). It's very likely this (and the impact to Wizard circle) that is causing the greatest portion of 'lack' in EF for you.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 05:23 PM CST
>Hmm. . .that's interesting. I guess we should ask if the intent is to have wizards train 'either/or' (Immo / EF). It's very likely this (and the impact to Wizard circle) that is causing the greatest portion of 'lack' in EF for you.

I switched from 159/77/67 to 127/75/101 and dropped 150 fire/52 air to 140 fire/62 earth and 917 does its job without impacting my Immolate too much. Think the change for the last damage cycle went from 100% to 95% which will barely be noticeable, and I lost 13 CS. Most things that -13 would matter against though are usually squishy and get torn apart by 917.

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 05:41 PM CST
>>I switched from 159/77/67 to 127/75/101

Yeah, I'd been toying around with the idea of limiting MnE to 75 or 80, myself. Good to know that you're seeing reasonable 917 and still maintaining a stronger Immo.

Based on my play style for the Elf, I'd probably amp Wizard instead of MjE. Still waiting for a critical announcement / launch before I pull that trigger though.

And still a huge fan of 50/60/50/50 on lores. Been treating me right, so far.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/25/2016 08:11 PM CST
Doug
Hmm. . .that's interesting. I guess we should ask if the intent is to have wizards train 'either/or' (Immo / EF). It's very likely this (and the impact to Wizard circle) that is causing the greatest portion of 'lack' in EF for you.

There is a very intentional opportunity cost associated with maximizing Earthen Fury (917), which is training in Wizard spell ranks at the cost of other spell circles.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/02/2017 12:42 AM CST
Thought I'd share a couple more 917 shots - now with hidden delta captured. This log is edited. And - I caught me one, a triple digit bonus. Now, if I can just figure out why. . .
>Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Call Wind...
Your spell is ready.
>
You gesture at an infernal lich.
A gust of wind tugs at your sleeves. Suddenly, a fierce wind rips through the area, scattering everything in its path and making it difficult to remain standing.
An infernal lich is knocked over by the wind.
The wind then subsides.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
You're now aiming at the left eye of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
>
You do not feel drained anymore.
>
A darkly inked fetish master wanders in, set with a distant gaze focused on seemingly nothing at all.
>incant 917
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Earthen Fury...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an infernal lich.
The ground beneath an infernal lich suddenly frosts and rumbles violently!
[SMR result: 155 (Open d100: 88, Bonus: 20)]
Icy stalagmites burst from the ground beneath an infernal lich!
... 35 points of damage!
Strike through both ears, foe is quite dead!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the infernal lich's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
Flames flare within the infernal lich's eyes as she grasps at the gnarled bone phylactery hanging around her neck and collapses to the ground.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding an infernal lich suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
The bright luminescence fades from around an infernal lich.
An infernal lich appears somehow different.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around an infernal lich.
An infernal lich glances around, looking a bit less confident.
The ground beneath an infernal lich suddenly calms.
>
[ SMR result: 155 (Open d100: 88, Bonus: 20, Hidden Delta: 47) ]
You're now aiming at the right leg of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
>
You remove a drake dagger from in your forest-green cloak.
>
You skinned the infernal lich, yielding a scorched lich finger bone.
>
You put a drake dagger in your forest-green cloak.
>
You remove an unspecified piece of iron-based equipment from in your forest-green cloak.
>
As you strike at the gnarled bone phylactery with your iron-based equipment, a crimson barrier appears around the object to absorb the blow. The barrier appears to falter moderately.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.
>
As you strike at the gnarled bone phylactery with your iron-based equipment, a crimson barrier appears around the object to absorb the blow. The barrier appears to falter moderately.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
>
...wait 1 seconds.
>
You feel more refreshed.
>
As you strike at the gnarled bone phylactery with your iron-based equipment, a crimson barrier appears around the object to absorb the blow. The barrier appears to falter significantly.
>
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Call Wind...
Your spell is ready.
>You gesture at a darkly inked fetish master.
A gust of wind tugs at your sleeves. Suddenly, a fierce wind rips through the area, scattering everything in its path and making it difficult to remain standing.
A darkly inked fetish master is knocked over by the wind.
The wind then subsides.
>
You're now aiming at the left eye of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
>
As you strike at the gnarled bone phylactery with your iron-based equipment, a crimson barrier appears around the object to absorb the blow. The barrier appears to falter moderately, then fades away entirely.
An ancient gnarled bone phylactery begins to crack, then crumbles completely with a flash of crimson flame.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>
Waves of black anti-mana wash through the area.
You put an unspecified piece of iron-based equipment in your forest-green cloak.
>
You search the infernal lich.
You discard the lich's useless equipment.
She didn't carry any silver.
She had some polished pink coral on her!
She had nothing else of value.
The charred flesh of the infernal lich is consumed in a blaze of fire, leaving nothing behind.
>
You put some polished pink coral in your watered silk satchel.
>fire
You draw back the string on your elven bow and a straight ruic arrow shimmers into view.
You fire a straight ruic arrow at a darkly inked fetish master!
AS: +XXX vs DS: +482 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +XX = +XXX
... and hit for 15 points of damage!
Strike to the chest breaks a rib!
Your elven bow fades some.
The arrow splinters into tiny slivers.
>
[new506]>incant 506
>
A darkly inked fetish master claps its palms together, momentarily uniting its glowing tattoos before forcefully thrusting its hands forward toward you!
>
You recite a series of mystical phrases while raising your hands, invoking Celerity...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You suddenly start moving light-footedly.
>
[ Celerity: +0:01:00, 0:00:59 remaining. ]
A thorny vine suddenly sprouts from the ground and begins to thrash about violently!
The thorny vine lashes out at you, but is unable to grasp you.
>
A Vvrael destroyer strides in!
>
A darkly inked fetish master slowly makes its way to its feet.
>incant 917
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Earthen Fury...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a darkly inked fetish master.
The ground beneath a darkly inked fetish master begins to boil violently!
[SMR result: 154 (Open d100: 80, Bonus: 1)]
Fiery debris explodes from the ground beneath a darkly inked fetish master!
... 30 points of damage!
Extreme heat causes a darkly inked fetish master's left leg to expand and snap. That must hurt!
It is knocked to the ground!
The fetish master is stunned!
>
[ SMR result: 154 (Open d100: 80, Bonus: 1, Hidden Delta: 73) ]
>
[SMR result: 216 (Open d100: 73, Bonus: 70)]
... 35 points of damage!
Scorching heat shrivels left leg to a useless black mass.
>
[ SMR result: 216 (Open d100: 73, Bonus: 70, Hidden Delta: 73) ]
prep 912
cast at my bow
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Call Wind...
Your spell is ready.
>You gesture at a mystical elven bow.
The wind then subsides.
>
[SMR result: 185 (Open d100: 28, Bonus: 83)]
... 30 points of damage!
Flames cook a darkly inked fetish master's chest. Looks about medium well.
>
[ SMR result: 185 (Open d100: 28, Bonus: 83, Hidden Delta: 74) ]
A Vvrael destroyer swings a crackling black steel maul at you!
AS: +454 vs DS: +XXX with AvD: +XX + d100 roll: +49 = -XXX
A clean miss.
>
[SMR result: 226 (Open d100: 62, Bonus: 90)]
... 40 points of damage!
Right forearm burned clean off. At least it's cauterized.
The master's rotting wood staff falls to the ground.
>
[ SMR result: 226 (Open d100: 62, Bonus: 90, Hidden Delta: 74) ]
The thorny vine lashes out at you, but is unable to grasp you.
>
>
[SMR result: 213 (Open d100: 42, Bonus: 98)]
... 25 points of damage!
Flames incinerate left arm to the bone. Not a pleasant sight.
Magma erupts from the ground, striking it!
... 35 points of damage!
Blaze chars a darkly inked fetish master's left arm. What's left is unusable.
>
[ SMR result: 213 (Open d100: 42, Bonus: 98, Hidden Delta: 73) ]
[SMR result: 247 (Open d100: 67, Bonus: 107)]
... 50 points of damage!
Skin and some muscle burnt off chest.
As a darkly inked fetish master slumps to the floor, the darkly lined tattoos traversing its skin lose the luminescence that had seemed to radiate from them.
A darkly inked fetish master appears less powerful.
A darkly inked fetish master seems to lose an aura of confidence.
The very powerful look leaves a darkly inked fetish master.
The white light leaves a darkly inked fetish master.
The deep blue glow leaves a darkly inked fetish master.
The light blue glow leaves a darkly inked fetish master.
The ground beneath a darkly inked fetish master suddenly calms.
>
[ SMR result: 247 (Open d100: 67, Bonus: 107, Hidden Delta: 73) ]

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 09:16 AM CST
917 is great vs. squishies. Makes the Scatter a lot easier to deal with.

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 09:38 AM CST
Yeah, it actually saddens me, a bit.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 10:54 AM CST
>Yeah, it actually saddens me, a bit.

Why?

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 11:03 AM CST
Nothing more than the inevitable population explosion and everything that will entail: From the hue and cry to make the area easier to access, the fundamental shift towards Voln (to that end), the shortcomings of overpopulated hunting, debates concerning mana efficiency in the area, and the likely increase in danger that will drive more discussion / derision.

The Scatter represented the pinnacle of hunting, significantly more challenging than OTF or Nelemar. In many ways, it still does. However. . . the danger, for wizards, has been significantly reduced. Now, even Plane 4 is no harder than Nelemar for the wizard.

Of course, change is a good thing, right?

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 11:09 AM CST
> Of course, change is a good thing, right?

Not always! I personally think Earthen Fury was a good change but I'm happy to listen to any thoughts you have, including anything negative you see as having come out of this.

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 12:15 PM CST
>>including anything negative you see as having come out of this.

I listed them, and they're much more player behavior around seizing (and capitalizing on) perceived benefits. The spell seems a very good (if not openly understood) implementation.

I do, however, rue the day that Scatter liches start effectively casting this spell. Is that in plan / in place yet? If in in plan, but not in place, may I ask that it be accelerated? Just a smidge? Hmmm??

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 03:49 PM CST
>Nothing more than the inevitable population explosion and everything that will entail: ... the likely increase in danger that will drive more discussion / derision.

>However. . . the danger, for wizards, has been significantly reduced. Now, even Plane 4 is no harder than Nelemar for the wizard.

There's nothing contradictory about these statements at all...

The Scatter is well balanced for hunting, and I don't see a need to further attempt to drive a low population away from it. Liches already do cast Earthen Fury. I would not want the effectiveness to be increased from the test server version, which was adequately challenging in itself. I believe in tools giving players the options to play how they like, not to arbitrarily limit hunting styles.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 05:07 PM CST
>>There's nothing contradictory about these statements at all...

Amplify?

>>and I don't see a need to further attempt to drive a low population away from it.

Nor do I. You misunderstand.

>>Liches already do cast Earthen Fury.

Thought they might. Don't recall seeing it, but in truth, I don't give them a chance, either, so. . .

As to the rest of your point, ROFL! Thank you.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 07:24 PM CST
>> 917 is great vs. squishies. Makes the Scatter a lot easier to deal with. ~ Methais

I tried out The Sanctum of Scales for the first time this weekend. Aside from 904 !!! I think my next two most cast spells were 912-Call Wind and 917-Earthen Fury (after testing out a few other spells in the process). So to sort of quote Methais...

"917 is great vs. squishies. Makes the Sanctum of Scales a lot easier to deal with." ~ Faulkil

While the area has been mapped and many of the perils already known, I was disappointed that the Sanctum didn't kill me at least once in either of my two visits considering I was wandering around with way too many boxes by the time I left each visit (my usual M.O. when hunting in Nelemar). I blame 917 at least in part for this!

I did manage to get my runestave turned into an Asp once which was pretty exciting though (and much preferred to being disarmed).

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 09:01 PM CST
Survival or lack of due to survival skills is fair game, but I never consider survival due to a strong offense to be a negative thing. The only thing more boring than never being able to be killed is not being able to reliably and instantly kill. If the shift in survival has gone too far in any direction, it's from 550 and other save me spells, etc. Not from effective offensive abilities, which are available to every profession.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 09:03 PM CST
Hey, Robert - quick gut-check question for your visit to Sanctum.

How many times did you use 550?

How many times did 520 lightning (if enabled) fire and save your bacon?

What other 'save-me' spells allowed you to skirt this disaster you were facing?

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 09:46 PM CST
>> Hey, Robert - quick gut-check question for your visit to Sanctum.

>> How many times did you use 550?

I've only used 550 once ever in a real situation since its release. So zero for the Sanctum. I keep hoping they'll come out with a better version of the spell (or a more interesting spell in general). It's pretty disappointing having this as a capstone spell for me.

>> How many times did 520 lightning (if enabled) fire and save your bacon?

I think I've only been actually stunned twice so far. Worst case was for two rounds... I think I've mentioned before how much I LOVE HCP armor. With 520 on top of my HCP armor there is even more 'CP' in HCP to love. So let's credit 520 with helping out at least the one time but honestly I don't think 2 rounds would have killed me either way. I also have a super high DS so being knocked down / stunned is only dangerous against things that cast evil spells.

>> What other 'save-me' spells allowed you to skirt this disaster you were facing?

Honestly I was expecting a lot more OMG moments given I was new to the area... the unknown will usually kill you at least a few times until you learn it. so what strategies did I employee?

- Same as I do in the temple, I make liberal use of the PEER verb and I'm not afraid to move if things get insane. Since the Sanctum IS new to me I tended to avoid crowds. I went back again tonight and I did start taking on groups of 2-3 in some cases because I am getting more familiar with what works on what.
- Sentinels: They seem to be the squares here (plus monstrosities). Knock them down with call wind then earthen fury. Toss in some additional acid bolts if the initial rounds of earthen fury don't look pretty awesome. Occasionally I need to hit them with call wind again and finish them.
- Fanatics and Shapers: I'm sure they do something scary but I just hit them with 917 right off and 95% of the time they are dead by the third round(?) of earthen fury goodness.
- Lurks: 907-major cold for groups, 904-Acid Bolt for individuals. Repeat until dead.
- Monstrosities: I haven't figured out the best strategy for these yet. They have a knock down (not a big deal) and I think they were throwing spikes or acid at me (minor inconvenience so far). After my first trip I found I prefer the interior of the spire so haven't seen very many to play around with yet.

If a mixed group charges in and I don't want to back off: Call Wind (if unstunables in the group) or Cone of Elements (if no Sentinels or monstrosities since everything else will stun) then either earthen fury on individual fanatics or shapers or more Cone of Elements until the group is manageable again.

In the few 'out of control' situations I encountered, Call Wind or Cone of Elements (Air in my case) buys enough time to get control back.

These tactics are pretty different than what I use in the temple and 917-Earthen Fury is definitely a star here! For reference, I am seeing bonuses anywhere from the 20s to the 80s so based on 'bonus being good' that's probably helping a lot. I have 113 ranks in Wizard at present (no plans to change it at this time).

Did I miss anything?

Oh... I did encounter a new peril today... I loved it! On my ride back to town I discovered I had apparently contracted some sort of horrible illness. Definitely had me sweating a bit!

Also... Powersink is a PITA but I just find a quiet spot and wait it out.

-- Robert

Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 09:51 PM CST
>>Did I miss anything?

Required reading for any wizard getting ready to brave the Sanctum, in my view. My experiences are similar, honestly. I think I dealt with monstrosities differently, but that was purely war-mage option at that point, as I recall. (See what I did there? 0:)

However, I am a bit disappointed not to see 512 make your list!

Good stuff, Robert, and thanks for the share.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 10:07 PM CST
>> However, I am a bit disappointed not to see 512 make your list!

Hmmm... I don't like the double cast mechanics to utilize it and find Call Wind or Immolation (I still use the disabler version of immolation heavily against defenders, radicals, combatants, and sentries in Temple Nelemar) sufficiently effective at disabling critters with maneuvers for less mana and less time (in my view). The 25% chance to ignore immolation is annoying (I just count to 7 while casting other spells and if I don't see them fall down I follow with call wind). Things still do die on the initial cast of immolation though (even the disabler version) so that offsets the annoying 25% somewhat.

I liked your idea regarding the 50% health loss... something... something... using cold snap but again, I just don't think I'll enjoy the mechanic, so will likely avoid using the spell until / unless there is a really compelling reason to do so.

-- Robert

Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 10:15 PM CST
Thinking about the monstrosities a bit more... I never use Rapid Fire (I don't know why, I like the new implementation of it) but maybe I'll start powering up the Rapid Fire on monstrosities and try bolting them down with 904.

What have you found to be effective in killing them somewhat quickly?

-- Robert

Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 10:17 PM CST
>>I don't like the double cast mechanics

Yep, the double cast is a bit of an overhead to bear - very situational usage (for me its things that don't crit and have massive hit points - very few except maybe those Reim bosses).

However, I would point out, in room control situations a single cast 'roots' with fairly good effect. Very useful when charging critters that are difficult to knock down (like crawlers, and monstrosities (?) are in the mix). That is, if you have the lore for more than four, or four or less in the gang-press.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/03/2017 10:27 PM CST
>>What have you found to be effective in killing them somewhat quickly?

Bipedal, light leather, vs archer-mage.

Eye / Head / Neck crits solo. Eyes / Head gives the benefit of reducing their CMAN capabilities, too. Legs, if in group (take down, let others smash).

Watch out for that acidic splash, though! Always a hoot. . . ;/

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/04/2017 01:38 PM CST
>>Thinking about the monstrosities a bit more... I never use Rapid Fire (I don't know why, I like the new implementation of it) but maybe I'll start powering up the Rapid Fire on monstrosities and try bolting them down with 904.

>>What have you found to be effective in killing them somewhat quickly?

>>-- Robert

Core Tap + Major shock is the only thing I found to take them out quickly. Rapid Fire + Minor Shock is the slow, but mana efficient way to do it. Occasionally, a single 910 or 510 will work, but it's not reliable. Minor Acid sprays their acid back at me - I don't know why.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/04/2017 04:52 PM CST
>Nothing more than the inevitable population explosion and everything that will entail: From the hue and cry to make the area easier to access, the fundamental shift towards Voln (to that end), the shortcomings of overpopulated hunting, debates concerning mana efficiency in the area, and the likely increase in danger that will drive more discussion / derision.

>The Scatter represented the pinnacle of hunting, significantly more challenging than OTF or Nelemar. In many ways, it still does. However. . . the danger, for wizards, has been significantly reduced. Now, even Plane 4 is no harder than Nelemar for the wizard.

917 is garbage against heavily armored/padded critters, and it's great against squishy targets. This isn't going to result in some massive influx of mouth breathing noobs in the Scatter crying for nerfs to the area or whatever it is you seem to think will happen.

The fundamental shift towards Voln can be addressed by giving COL an update to where it's worth more than just having wracking. Because that's pretty much all it's good for in my opinion.

How did you do in the Scatter before 917, using bolts and other staple wizard spells?

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/04/2017 05:33 PM CST
>> Minor Acid sprays their acid back at me - I don't know why.

heh. That's probably why I thought they had an acid spray ability...!

I'll make it a point of seeking them out and trying various strategies next trip in. Probably not until Friday though.

-- Robert

Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 01/04/2017 07:28 PM CST
>>This isn't going to result in some massive influx of mouth breathing noobs in the Scatter crying for nerfs to the area or whatever it is you seem to think will happen.

Discounting for the overdramatization - I'm saddened to report that the influx has already happened. It may be entirely coincidental (just timing of a number of players ready to brave the Scatter), but it feels as though the Scatter population has trebled since mid December, a good number of them wizards it seems. I can tell you the loot agrees with me much more than it agrees with you, no matter the true cause. ;)

>>The fundamental shift towards Voln can be addressed by giving COL an update to where it's worth more than just having wracking. Because that's pretty much all it's good for in my opinion.

Now this, this. . . this I absolutely agree with and can get behind. Absolutely.

>>How did you do in the Scatter before 917, using bolts and other staple wizard spells?

Before the Earthen Fury update (using masters and liches - squishies - for example), I would prone them (912), then ranged attack them once. If DS was high enough that I was going to be in 'plink' mode (50% masters, 70% liches encountered as an estimate) a quick Fire Bolt or Lightning Bolt (stun / kill) and reassess approach. Infrequently (say 15%?) I would have to load up an Elemental Disjunction on a lich before I could Lightning Bolt sufficiently.

After the Earthen Fury update, same conditions / constraints - 917 without anything else almost always makes the kill. As its supposed to. But - that's easier than prone / bolt (whether physical or magical) and adjust tactics on the fly. The only remaining trick is to be sure to use cold against fire, and fire against cold.

The point - two of the deadliest spell casters in the Scatter no longer present anywhere's near the same danger threshold to the wizard, or any group traveling with the wizard. Let's be honest, cerebralites and siphons are a cakewalk, and destroyers are either ignored (if a pure mage, sad sad) or destroyed (if a warmage of any type).

Doug