Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:02 PM CST
After pour:
[Your brooch will be charged until 1/20/2017 16:01:24 CST.]
That was the last drop.
The yellow-green potion shatters into twinkling dust.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

>You swap your tragedy mask brooch from your left to your right hand.
>You analyze your silver alloy brooch and sense that the item is free from merchant alteration restrictions.

You get no sense of whether or not the brooch may be further lightened.

It's called a big nugatory.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:10 PM CST
Heh. Interestingly, it DID work with the armor.

So I scrolled back and looked, and sure enough: the analyze works fine on the item you're wearing, even though the 'pour' won't. Analyzed the wrong brooch.

Thanks for the info!

Now I just need to remember which/how many different things are charged... <sigh>

And update the Wiki.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:13 PM CST

it was already on the simucoin page.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:26 PM CST
... I hate all of you. This thread is for Earthen Fury!

The issue that caused 917 to occasionally cycle 5 times instead of 6 should be fixed now.

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:28 PM CST

>... I hate all of you.

I'm sure I will be hating you later, Mr. "Oh that's not in the first post, either" :)
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:34 PM CST
>... I hate all of you. This thread is for Earthen Fury!

Thanks for getting things back on track.

>The issue that caused 917 to occasionally cycle 5 times instead of 6 should be fixed now.

Thanks for the quick fix!

>Fire lore gives a chance for each damage cycle of the spell to get an extra critical hit.
>Earth lore is not a chance to happen. It always kicks in after the first cycle of damage. It is not seeded at all. Nor is fire lore.
>Since it isn't seeded, it is purely linear.

Are these statements from the test server announcement still accurate?

Thanks again to the entire team for all the hard work on this! I've been looking forward to this spell since we first got to play with it.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:34 PM CST

is there a mud-slide variant?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:40 PM CST
> I'm sure I will be hating you later, Mr. "Oh that's not in the first post, either" :)

Things that I specified after the initial post have been added to the initial post in a "=== EDITS ===" section. You shouldn't need to scan through the thread for information that might have been missed!

> Are these statements from the test server announcement still accurate?

All of those statements are still accurate.

> Is there a mud-slide variant?

There is not. -_-

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 04:58 PM CST
Did we ever get an answer on whether 917 benefits from the crit bonus that 425 provides?

I'm a little confused by the reference in the OP to damage cycles. Are the heat/impact and cold/puncture cycles still entirely critical based?

Are these statements still true?
>Yep. Its big weakness is crit resistant stuff.
>Because it doesn't do any bonus hit point damage.

> Any chance we can get a general idea of what the chance is with max fire lore?
>40%. Another thing to note is that the additional fire lore crit is actually stronger (most of the time) than the original crit.

Thanks again! This is a spell that feels really cool in action.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 05:23 PM CST
> Are these statements still true?

Yes, the damage is still entirely critical based. There is no additional hit point damage.

The additional fire/water lore crit is still stronger (Most of the time) than the one that it follows.

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 05:31 PM CST
Thanks for the clarification! Is the fire lore ceiling still 40%?

Also, could the OP refer to the cycles then as critical cycles, like the 317 documentation? I get confused. o_O
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 05:45 PM CST
> Thanks for the clarification! Is the fire lore ceiling still 40%?

It isn't technically capped at 40%. That's just how much you get from 202 ranks. Also, it's worth saying that Fire Lore doesn't only grant its benefits in steps of 5. For example, you still have a chance at getting a double crit with only one rank of fire lore. Every rank is an increase.

> Also, could the OP refer to the cycles then as critical cycles, like the 317 documentation? I get confused. o_O

I will do what I can.

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 05:48 PM CST
>Any possibility of adding those Enhancives' durations

Any possibility of posting this in a folder where it wouldn't be derailing yet another wizard thread?

On topic: Hooray 917 and Konacon's Gift of Jericho (which is what Lumnis bonus should be called btw)

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 05:51 PM CST
> On topic: Hooray 917 and Konacon's Gift of Jericho (which is what Lumnis bonus should be called btw)

... This is a thing that should happen at least once. Even if only very briefly. Best idea.

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 05:54 PM CST
>It isn't technically capped at 40%. That's just how much you get from 202 ranks. Also, it's worth saying that Fire Lore doesn't only grant its benefits in steps of 5. For example, you still have a chance at getting a double crit with only one rank of fire lore. Every rank is an increase.

You're right, I meant without enhancives. The latter I understood from it being linear, but it's a good reminder.

Is there synergy with the 425 crit bonus?
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 05:57 PM CST
>... This is a thing that should happen at least once. Even if only very briefly. Best idea.

I think immediately would be fine, with all the other exp changes happening and all that.

If I didn't suck at writing Lich scripts I'd make it happen somehow. But I'm terrible.

Maybe in March? April 1 for sure if nothing else though....right?

I can't decide if I want to sacrifice 10 fire lore ranks and turn my 150 fire/52 air into 140 fire/60 earth for 917 and an extra cast of 950.

I'm going to talk this over with my best friend the Great Drake Koarvin Owens.

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 06:02 PM CST
>Technically there is a small chance (Obviously less than 1%) of getting a double crit with only one rank of Fire lore.

Not to be nit-picky, but... is this technically true if GS math truncates as usual?
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 06:05 PM CST
>>Technically there is a small chance (Obviously less than 1%) of getting a double crit with only one rank of Fire lore.

>Not to be nit-picky, but... is this technically true if GS math truncates as usual?

It is technically true. Truncation as usual does not come into play here.

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 06:07 PM CST
>It is technically true. Truncation as usual does not come into play here.

Very nice, thanks! Does this apply to the earth lore calculation as well?
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 06:43 PM CST
You can also search the logs of me vs. Illoke Elders this morning when I had a "what the crap just killed me?" moment...

grumble mutter grumble
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 07:41 PM CST
Just something funny I wanted to show:

>incant 917
You raise your hand and snap your fingers, shaping your mana into a crackling bolt of energy.
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a grizzly bear.
The ground beneath a grizzly bear suddenly frosts and rumbles violently!
[SMR result: 289 (Open d100: 51)]
The earth cracks beneath a grizzly bear, releasing a column of frigid air!
... 55 points of damage!
Frigid blast shatters the grizzly bear's left leg beyond all recognition!
The grizzly bear roars loudly as he collapses to the ground in obvious pain and favors his mangled left hind leg.
The grizzly bear is stunned!
Necrotic energy from your witchwood crook overflows into you!
You feel empowered!
Your witchwood crook glows brightly for a moment, consuming the magical energies around the grizzly bear!
The ground beneath a grizzly bear suddenly calms.
The elemental aura around a grizzly bear wavers.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/21/2016 09:27 PM CST

so...why is it still boil earth in test? I kinda wanted to test it's usefulness before i decided if i would blow my fixskills.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/22/2016 07:17 PM CST
I'm still playing around with the spell and trying to figure out where it best fits into my current hunting strategies but I think it is a good addition in general. Quick points:

- I'm having fun with it!
- It seems a good balance against easier targets: where before I would Call Wind/bolt as needed (sirens) or bolt/bolt/bolt till dead (dissimblers/executioners) I seem to be able to use Earthen Fury and achieve a quicker results (3 seconds of casting even it it take a few cycles to kill it) for a similar and potentially more efficient mana cost overall.
- While I originally characterized it as 'spammy' which it is, it does add some additional excitement as well!
- And lastly - I'm having fun with it (worth repeating).

It seems like this is a spell that I will continue to use and find new uses for so great job and many thanks! I'll keep any eye out for interesting / fun clips to share as I play around with it more!

Also, I generally just use fire and air in the temple but I am gaining a new appreciation for cold / cold crits via the ice version of this spell. I may have to do some more experimenting with 907 vs. 906/908 and see about working that in more frequently as well.

Thanks again!

P.S. Please do consider adding something to INCANT so that we can set a default element for the spell.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/23/2016 02:30 AM CST
Herro Konacon,

Just a bug for 917, I put it into the bug tracker under title '917' but basically a bunch of critters are just flat-out immune to old boil earth that needs to be updated.

917 cold version should work on fire based elementals, and similarly fire version should work on cold based. Same with liches.. fire/cold guardians... ice/fire golems/elementals/glacei/morphs any etcetera etcetera so on and so forth ad infinitum.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/23/2016 06:21 PM CST
Not mana efficient but fun to do anyway.

You gesture at a siren.
The ground beneath a siren begins to boil violently!
[SMR result: 263 (Open d100: 79, Bonus: 100)]
Fiery debris explodes from the ground beneath a siren!
The elemental energy surrounding you amplifies the attack!
... 60 points of damage!
It is knocked to the ground!
The siren is stunned!
As the fire strikes the ice block surrounding a siren, a rush of steam is released!
... 50 points of damage!
Overexposure to superheated steam reduces left arm to simmering tissue!
The siren's scallop shell shield falls to the ground.
The ice block encasing a siren partially melts away, leaving only her lower half frozen.
Magma erupts from the ground, striking her!
... 60 points of damage!
As the fire strikes the ice block surrounding a siren, a rush of steam is released!
... 65 points of damage!
Superheated steam cooks the siren's spine and fuses nerves!
The siren gives a plaintive wail before she slumps to her side and dies.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around a siren.
The ground beneath a siren suddenly calms.
The block of ice encasing a siren's lower half melts away.
Cast Roundtime 1 Second.

You gesture at a spectral triton defender.
The ground beneath a spectral triton defender begins to boil violently!
[SMR result: 230 (Open d100: 59, Bonus: 102)]
Fiery debris explodes from the ground beneath a spectral triton defender!
... 45 points of damage!
Huge strike vaporizes the right thigh.
The triton defender convulses, falling inward upon itself while the leg mends.
It is knocked to the ground!
As the fire strikes the ice block surrounding a spectral triton defender, a rush of steam is released!
... 30 points of damage!
Strong hit to the chest!
Tendrils of mist explode as the strike passes right through.
The ice block encasing a spectral triton defender partially melts away, leaving only his lower half frozen.
Magma erupts from the ground, striking him!
... 70 points of damage!
Amazing strike enters one side and exits the other, neatly cutting the triton defender in half!
To your horror the two parts rejoin a moment later.
As the fire strikes the ice block surrounding a spectral triton defender, a rush of steam is released!
... 55 points of damage!
Strike to the abdomen goes right through, leaving misty trails in its wake.
The block of ice encasing a spectral triton defender's lower half melts away.
Cast Roundtime 1 Second.

>
[SMR result: 223 (Open d100: 38, Bonus: 125)]
Fiery debris explodes from the ground beneath a spectral triton defender!
... 70 points of damage!
Amazing strike enters one side and exits the other, neatly cutting the triton defender in half!
To your horror the two parts rejoin a moment later.
... 30 points of damage!
Strong assault amputates the leg at the knee.
It floats in the air a moment before drifting back into place!
The ice block encasing a spectral triton defender partially melts away, leaving only her lower half frozen.
Magma erupts from the ground, striking her!
... 70 points of damage!
Massive strike to the chest crashes through the triton defender's back in a cloud of vapor.
Slowly, the triton defender reforms its torso.
... 40 points of damage!
Your attack whistles right through the triton defender's face.
Dimples!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the triton defender's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The spectral form of the triton defender tenses in agony as she begins to dissolve from the bottom up!
The ground beneath a spectral triton defender suddenly calms.
The block of ice encasing a spectral triton defender's lower half melts away.

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/23/2016 08:44 PM CST
cast cold/fire target is inconsistent with how it typically goes. For example multicast is cast target 3, not cast 3 target.

the cast cold/fire target is working now that I checked today. Before it was telling me cast at what? Though the syntax would be kinda funky.. cast fire cold guardian, cast cold fire guardian, wot?
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/23/2016 09:33 PM CST
>>Not mana efficient but fun to do anyway.

Well, shuckiderns. . . will you look at those crits from 512 melting off under the inimitable Methais' onslaught.

Pretty impressive. Would that ice on ice would do something spectacular, too. ;)

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/23/2016 09:40 PM CST
The 512 crits are based on the strength of the hit, so it's not surprising, but they are still completely counterproductive to the intent of using 512, which is to control crowds, especially for use with a DoT spell. I'd rather have no flares and stay frozen.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/23/2016 10:11 PM CST
I don't disagree with the inconsistency between this and multicast. Best I can do is tell you there's a good reason why it works this way.

Sorry about that.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to get an incant setting for this. There are some complications to work through.

~ Konacon
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 12:05 AM CST
>>I'd rather have no flares and stay frozen.

I'm not sure I agree - since the prone / stun seems to give the same / better result. (Still testing.)

On the flip side, it still functions as a crowd control spell - and with Earthen Fury only striking one target, the rest of the crowd still is affected by 512. I would definitely be of a like opinion if there was a modest chance of a weak strike against a second or third opponent. But with it dialed in the way it is right now it might actually be advantageous.

Against the right foes, rooting followed by cone of elements, then a selective Earthen Fury to mop up might not be too shabby.

I wonder: 950 512 512 518 903 904 917 might not be too bad a combo, unless there's a lich in the room.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 12:56 AM CST
As it is right now, melting is definitely not advantageous to me no matter what the strength of the flare is, when the creature being able to move and cast or attack in other ways during the rest of the 917 cycle is likely to result in negative consequences, given the spammy nature of the spell.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 01:03 AM CST
>>when the creature being able to move and cast or attack in other ways during the rest of the 917 cycle is likely to result in negative consequences

I can certainly understand this point. It doesn't happen much in the Rift / Scatter. Are these types of observations frequent in Nelemar with defenders and combatants?

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 02:43 AM CST
I'd still rather get rid of the flare too in favor of fire not removing 512. It's flashy looking with 917 and all but still not worth trading in your crowd control for.

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 03:56 AM CST
oooh sooper sekret reasons~! I likey.

Regardless, thanks for looking into it, much appreciated, Konacon.

<3 flashy spells are entertaining, I love being entertained so.

As for the rest of you... ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!?
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 07:23 AM CST
I think I figured out part of my issue with the strength of the spell this morning: it's a spell whose power is boosted by ranks in the list (which all creatures are assumed to have, and boosted by ranks in this Lore (which all creatures are assumed to have 1/4 of), and boosted by ranks in that Lore (which all creatures are assumed to have 1/4 of)...

...and it's got an open-ended roll, like a maneuver.

I think I would be much more alright with the spell if the creatures didn't get the possibility of an open-ended roll against us.

There are just too many creatures, potentially at the same time (this morning's death was from the second action--first was "throw rocks, so have some instant RT"--with no prep beforehand in a room with giant/troll/giant) and this spell can generate 6 rolls all on its own. Any one of which can be open, and hose you into next week.

(I think I managed to stay alive through all of yesterday/Friday morning. So I think I'm only at 4 deaths in 4 days since it released, 2 & 1 & 0 & 1. But compared to "only if a giant falls on me effectively (usually it was only for 3s of RT) or gets lucky locations on a Boil Earth that hits" for the last several months (Boil got a lot less effective once I was closer to their level and had a bunch of PT), four in four days, given that I've only been on for about 45 minutes each day, is WAY too strong.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 08:00 AM CST
>I think I figured out part of my issue with the strength of the spell this morning: it's a spell whose power is boosted by ranks in the list (which all creatures are assumed to have, and boosted by ranks in this Lore (which all creatures are assumed to have 1/4 of), and boosted by ranks in that Lore (which all creatures are assumed to have 1/4 of)...

Did you miss the announcement post where all of this info was included or something?

~ Methais
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 08:30 AM CST
No, I didn't miss it. I am encapsulating for the GMs where I feel that the problem lies.

Adventurers, even of the same race, profession, and level, will tend to be different in their capabilities. (Take wizards...)
This one is concentrating on the Minor Elemental to boost his AS swinging/bolting & CS casting; that one is concentrating on the Major Elemental to boost is AS bolting and whatever else is in that list; this other one is concentrating on the Profession list to boost his Enchanting (and, now, Earthen Fury).
One or more of them may have Lore--like the weapon-swinger probably has Air--but maybe not Earth (except for the 2nd one, who is obviously Drumpel using Earthen Fist) or Fire.

Whereas every single stone giant will ALWAYS be at max possible capability with this (and in fact every other) spell.

Likewise, not every adventurer is a half-krolvin or Giantman with >300 hit points. Halflings are routinely hovering near a hundred, and Elves aren't too much better.

Every single stone giant will ALWAYS have multiple hundreds (when I've had to attrit them, it usually seems like 450+) of hit points.

The spell has SIX CHANCES at "50 hit point" bites, each chance coming so soon after the previous one that any (magical) escape attempts can only happen after two of them fire off, means that people are apt to get hit. Frequently.

And, again: we have to face 7-100 creatures for a (single) full head of experience.
They just have to kill us, once, and screw up our whole morning.

Then in addition to those advantages, or powers, or features, or whatever you want to call them--and this was the point I was making--add in the possibility of the roll being open, and it's really just... an awful lot to overcome.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 10:00 AM CST
>As for the rest of you... ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!?

Who on earth said we're not entertained? I like this spell a lot, it provides a lot of flavor. That has nothing to do with the fact that 512 melting due to an ineffective flare is unproductive for crowd control purposes, something that has been mentioned since 512 was released. This was posted about just the other day.
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 10:41 AM CST
>>but still not worth trading in your crowd control for.

Huh? I mean, I know tiny is the new black - but the day one's a crowd I'd say no spell in the world's gonna help.

Doug
Re: Earthen Fury (917) Released! 12/24/2016 11:07 AM CST
You're being deliberately selective. In all cases, we've mentioned that 512 is intended to primarily be used for crowd control. Just because you said it seemed fancy with 917, does not negate the negative consequences of having it not do its originally intended job by melting, especially with a spell that takes more than a few seconds to complete.