Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 11:02 AM CST
At this point, a couple of things really stand out to me about this that I just can't seem to wrap my head around.

First, the secrecy surrounding this, from the implementation of a change to the lack of information regarding the issue the change is meant to address feels very unfriendly. A change to the fundamental mechanics of a system AND a skill that players spend training points on is changed, and I believe that merits some forthright communication.

This lack of communication is what probably sticks in my craw the most, as it feels as though we're being treated like we can't handle knowing without making the "problem" worse. The logic of this really falls down here, because if there is a problem and this change is meant to be the solution. More people knowing and thus more people generating data should give one the ability to grasp the full effect of any changes like this more quickly and help to realize a more permanent/effective solution.

Second, if there was a problem and said problem has been fixed by these changes, then why is telling us what the problem was an issue? Coase, you said you didn't want to render the solution you implemented ineffective, but if the changes you made are that fragile to the overall solution of the problem, then I dare say these changes are not the solution to the problem. Furthermore, if these changes are really something that one cannot be confident in their efficacy of, why bother at all?

Coase, you claimed that you wanted to make a targeted change to impact as few people as possible, but the reaching ramifications of this change feel like they weren't considered at all (like my Silver to Gold example, which you've yet to respond to the validity of my concerns regarding). The net "gain" here appears to be a lot of ruffled feathers and confusion, and for what, to prevent farmers from farming as effectively, which isn't really changed, just how much they're getting from it. So, the farming problem, not solved, but the silver generation problem, well, someone stuck their finger in one of the holes on that leaky boat.

For the life of me, I can't understand how this is an issue in the first place, to be honest. Someone was leaning on the system as hard as possible to maximize gains, this isn't exactly new to gaming, or Gemstone. Usually this sort of min/maxing is something that players are proud of, and GMs are impressed by when someone achieves it (so long as they're not abusing game mechanics). Since it doesn't appear to have been a GMA problem, what's the difference here? I feel like all of this is motivated by some unknown fear that is likewise not being disclosed to us.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 12:01 PM CST
>>I feel like all of this is motivated by some unknown fear that is likewise not being disclosed to us.

I understand and even agree with most of the salient points in the post. But this one - this one I think would better be defined as "motivated by some unknown goal (concerning silver generation) that is likewise not being disclosed to us."

I don't believe the "tens of millions of silvers a week for the past few months" to be anecdotal. It might be, perhaps. But the GMs have insights we don't - and I don't find that comment to be unbelievable. If we say "tens" = 25 and "few" equals 3, we're looking at a player-driven process that is generating something on the order of 300 million silvers a quarter. Might be high, might be low - this figure is only provided to illustrate the following point.

Given what silvers are used for in game, a high-silver generation method in a player-driven process in that short a time definitely creates significant game-balance issues. And that's without discussing 'market', at all. What that threshold should be - I'm not aware of enough of the facts to state a declarative position.

The rest of the points about how it was addressed though. . . yes.

Doug
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 01:37 PM CST

Straight up this is a lazy fix. Rather than script checking these individuals and interrupting/banning their actions, a blanket change was put into effect that has the potential to impact every player.

Then you don't announce it? There's plenty of things you don't HAVE to do, but you do it because it's the right thing to do. Just because you're not obligated to announce it you don't? This is sneaky and underhanded.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 04:01 PM CST
If you're earning more than a million per week from the trading bonus on stuff you didn't hunt up yourself then maybe you should train trading yourself instead of handing stuff to sell off to an alt. It sounds like people were doing what I tend to do but to a greater extent. My forging mage does not hunt so he's fully trained in trading and has a good influence bonus on top of it. My capped ranger blows through the Confluence and gets a metric ton of gems. The mage sells them for him and makes me a tidy profit. Chances are I need to stop doing that when I'm really hunting hard and just train my ranger in trading instead.

As for being upset we weren't told about this change, why? I mean I understand we all like to know everything but there is a legitimate reason to not share this one. Knowing the exact cap makes it much easier to work around this. I can't imagine this is effecting a lot of people and those it is affecting were basically benefiting from MAing so I can't have a lot of sympathy, even if this negatively impacts me as well.

TLDR: Good change.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 08:08 PM CST
>My forging mage does not hunt so he's fully trained in trading and has a good influence bonus on top of it. My capped ranger blows through the Confluence and gets a metric ton of gems. The mage sells them for him and makes me a tidy profit. Chances are I need to stop doing that when I'm really hunting hard and just train my ranger in trading instead.

It's interesting to compare how this works in DragonRealms and Gemstone. As I understand it, in DR you have PCs of a dedicated profession that people hand things off to, such as gem pouches, and share the profits with. It's basically the same process, and in DR the Trader also gains some experience for it. Scripting is far more prevalent in DR than it is in GS, because experience is learned through repetition. Traders train these skills from the get-go, because they are fundamental to their profession and they can't increase in level/circle without them. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these. If this is the case, is the system in DR more exploitable than GS? I suspect the difference is the length of time it takes to kill a critter and loot it in one vs. the other. If combat doesn't change in GS, maybe the value of loot dropped should be slowly reduced over time. Including skins. Or, maybe combat needs to slow down so it's less exploitable. Or, something else? I'd just as soon turn Trading into something else, if it's too easily abused.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 08:21 PM CST
>If combat doesn't change in GS, maybe the value of loot dropped should be slowly reduced over time. Including skins. Or, maybe combat needs to slow down so it's less exploitable.

This is a terrible idea. I'd rather we stop nerfing everything unnecessarily.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 09:22 PM CST
>>If combat doesn't change in GS, maybe the value of loot dropped should be slowly reduced over time. Including skins. Or, maybe combat needs to slow down so it's less exploitable.
>
>This is a terrible idea. I'd rather we stop nerfing everything unnecessarily.

I agree -- I am full of terrible ideas, and a few good ones, here and there. Anyway, I suggested maybe this needs to happen. I don't think this is true. The assumption is that things are working alright in DragonRealms. If this isn't the case, then this sort of change would solve nothing. I do think that trading, in its current form, with its current benefits, is an anachronism.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 09:24 PM CST
I don't think the script-grinding bot culture of DR is anything to aspire to, and I wish we would stop borrowing the worst of all of their traits in the events, etc. pushed on GS.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/10/2017 09:50 PM CST
>I don't think the script-grinding bot culture of DR is anything to aspire to, and I wish we would stop borrowing the worst of all of their traits in the events, etc. pushed on GS.

I agree. The warrior's guild, when it was introduced, was a first in terms of asking GS players to grind something over and over to get better at it. That's DR. Get better at foraging by foraging; get better at hiding by hiding. In GS, you gain experience to train in a skill. The rogue's guild, and all the artisan skills, all follow DR's method of getting better by practicing a skill. It's a clever design, and it's sensible because it mimics how we learn in real life, but unfortunately it leads to script dependency, which leads to script zombies. I do think combat in GS is fast sometimes -- the one hit kills become ridiculous -- but I also think combat in DR is too slow. Players all have limited attention spans, and even if something is engaging doesn't make it perfect. Combat in DR, for example, is engaging. You can fight with one critter (or a group of them) for 20 min, and it keeps you on your toes, and you finally defeat them, and are mindlocked in a large number of skills (saturated) but in GS you might be carrying the loot of 60-80 critters by then. I think the design of both games should aspire to combat scripting by making it redundant, less useful. But this is a bit further off-topic than I intended to get.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/13/2017 10:27 AM CST
The silence here is deafening.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/24/2017 09:38 AM CST
>This is false once the cap is in place it affects all loot self looted or not.

>people crying about screen scroll in the gemshop

Remember when SELL <container> wasn't an option and all gems and skins and stuff had to be sold individually?

First world internet problems...

~ Methais
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/24/2017 10:50 AM CST
>Remember when SELL <container> wasn't an option and all gems and skins and stuff had to be sold individually?

I remember when people used to do this, but its a rarity now. I probably see occasions when 200 gems are sold individually as often as occasions when a container is sold, though its normally only 20-50 at a time.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/24/2017 11:21 AM CST
I don't like having to receive it as a note. <shrug> Personal foible.

Though I try to avoid doing really BIG sacks of gems, there are times when I've Purified a bunch and sell 6-10 each of pearls/sapphires/rubies/emeralds/diamonds.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/24/2017 12:43 PM CST
>I remember when people used to do this, but its a rarity now. I probably see occasions when 200 gems are sold individually as often as occasions when a container is sold, though its normally only 20-50 at a time.

I sell any gems that are under a certain amount. I usually don't hit the gemshop until my container is almost full. This leaves no other option but to sell the gems individually.

I doubt that I'm the only one who does this.

There's also the option to squelch the 3rd person gem sale messaging text.

~ Methais
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/24/2017 04:54 PM CST
I sell all my gems individually because I track the data about average/min/max values

AIM: m444w
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/27/2017 09:28 AM CST
>I remember when people used to do this, but its a rarity now. I probably see occasions when 200 gems are sold individually as often as occasions when a container is sold, though its normally only 20-50 at a time.

I don't stand around in the gem or fur shops very long. I go in, sell container and leave. Folks selling individual gems/furs don't really bother me.

What bothers me are the folks that go into the locksmith shop and have their ;sloot or maybe ;loot (or whatever else lich scrips they use) scripts open all their boxes in under 5 seconds and they drop crap all over the floor (boxes that have items like an herb in them) and they run out the door. This is annoying. I suppose the only upside to this is that they leave their gold/silver/mithril boxes. I pick them up or pull them out of the trash bin and sell them. I can usually make an extra 5k a day. It may not sound like much, but if I did this every day for 30 days straight, that would be 150kk from just selling boxes people left on the ground or in the trash bin.

I may have lich running, but I don't enjoy the rapidity of some things it does and the scroll of crap it leaves across my screen. Now, this isn't a common thing, but it does happen from time to time - is it irritating? Sure is. Does it make the game hard to play - no, because I know after a few seconds the person will be out of the room and I can go back to what I was doing. It's not like I need to go running right back out and hunt.

-Drumpel
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/27/2017 11:13 AM CST
<What bothers me are the folks that go into the locksmith shop and have their ;sloot or maybe ;loot (or whatever else lich scrips they use) scripts open all their boxes in under 5 seconds and they drop crap all over the floor (boxes that have items like an herb in them) and they run out the door. This is annoying.>

I 100% agree with this, I HATE it when I'm trying to see what was in the box one of my non-rogues just had opened only for the text to immediately scroll off the screen when someone with a poorly written script walks in, gets 5-10 boxes opened, empties them (without the EMPTY verb most of the time), and runs out leaving half (or all) of the boxes laying at my feet.

I'm not some anti-scripting jerk, but do those that use them for stuff like this really have to be so inconsiderate? Is it really so hard to wait a minute or two to let someone that's already their finish up before running the script? How about repeating the command to drop the box in the trash when there's an herb or somesuch in it that you don't want rather then dropping it (it's not like any of them ever LOOK in the box to see what they might be tossing away)? How about adding a couple lines to the script to make sure you have the right noun for the trash receptacle?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/27/2017 01:35 PM CST
>I'm not some anti-scripting jerk, but do those that use them for stuff like this really have to be so inconsiderate? Is it really so hard to wait a minute or two to let someone that's already their finish up before running the script? How about repeating the command to drop the box in the trash when there's an herb or somesuch in it that you don't want rather then dropping it (it's not like any of them ever LOOK in the box to see what they might be tossing away)? How about adding a couple lines to the script to make sure you have the right noun for the trash receptacle?

I used the ;sloot sell script once - I felt horrible as I walked into the local locksmith, went through the 3 or 4 boxes I had on me in a few seconds and ran out as I left someone in the room to watch my screen scroll of crap.

I haven't used it since. I like to see what items I get and when one of my lower level characters goes to get a box opened and he's getting charged 5k+ on a box (when most boxes cost 800-1500 silver), I sure as heck want to know what's in that box. I don't want to have a script run out, pull more silvers from the bank, find out I'm still short, run out, pull more silvers, have the box opened and leave again....that's a lot of screen scroll if someone has been in there the whole time. I want to know what I got and not have to worry about looking in my backpack/cloak later down the line going....huh, where and when the hell did I get that fancy piece of armor or weapon?

Though, I'd much rather have a nifty GM made item over some set of greaves that gives you temp crit padding and looks like every other set of greaves out there (hint, hint...put something neat in one of my boxes that's not a random treasure generated item! I won't tell anyone that you did it...I'll make up some awesome story how I had to lock battle with an awful giant, ugly kobold that had the nose of a rat and the body of a half-krolvin and the hands of a halfling to obtain this awesome item you've given me).

-Drumpel
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 02/27/2017 02:09 PM CST
<I don't want to have a script run out, pull more silvers from the bank,>

And even more joy from those running it afk because they they have insufficient silvers in the bank and so are on an endless loop from bank to NPC locksmith. I've seen this and joined their group several times before getting them pulled.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 06/22/2017 02:30 PM CDT
Two questions:

1 - Is there any chance we could get an in-game verb to tell us how much bonus silver we've gotten from trading for the week and/or when that week resets?
I've finally managed to hit the weekly cap for the first time--or at least the first time I noticed==now that one of my friends has been asking me to sell for his characters. I probably wouldn't have even noticed if not for my friend appraising the container in front of me first, so for all I know I could have been at the cap 150k earlier and lost out on that. (I tend to stockpile gems with my non-Leafiara characters for like three weeks before selling them all in one go.)

2 - Let's say my wizard contributes all of the damage to killing a tree viper and my cleric skins it. Does that count as my cleric's skin, so it's self-looted and doesn't contribute to the trading cap when she sells it, or does it count as my wizard's?
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 03:19 AM CDT
So this is an interesting change.

Just curious if this is going to extend to other aspects of the game, or if it already does extend to other aspects?

Like, I purify all of my character's gems (well all the valuable ones anyways) is there a limit to how many silvers I can generate via purifying gems my bard didn't find?

Does this affect racial bias too? Like my dark elves get raked over the coals in Icemule yet my halflings make a small fortune, which is why I typically have my halflings sell valuable stuff.

Or should I just stop talking now before I give the GMs too many ideas? :O
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 03:27 AM CDT
Honestly I really think this racial bias thing when selling stuff needs to be looked at, maybe even done away with altogether.

I get it, I can train trading on all of my characters to reap the benefits of trading. But there is no way to change my character's race and really the racial bias when selling stuff is a huge negative for some races (COUGHDARKELFCOUGH) and a huge bonus for certain races in certain towns.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 07:42 AM CDT
>> ...and really the racial bias when selling stuff is a huge negative for some races (COUGHDARKELFCOUGH) and a huge bonus for certain races in certain towns.

I'm pretty sure that it is intended that each race have various benefits and penalties vs. other races in the game.

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 11:08 AM CDT
and you can actually benefit from a penalty - I've sold high-value glowing cores and various jewelry at the gemshop with characters that had negative bonuses because selling them with my main would have sent me to the pawn. Gemshop bought for 45k_ instead of the 15k I would have gotten at the pawn.

Even penalties have their uses.

Wee Sleepy Gnomette

Cloth-of-eonake: for when you absolutely, positively need to have zombie-impenetrable underwear. - Denil

When my scripts are acting up, I take Modrian with Coding. After a few hours, they feel like new! - MAXMANJ
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 07:42 PM CDT
>I'm pretty sure that it is intended that each race have various benefits and penalties vs. other races in the game.

Yeah I understand it wasn't a typo that resulted in Dark Elves getting screwed when selling stuff, but we're talking some serious silvers in some cases and it doesn't really add any value to the game or anything, it just punishes someone for their roleplaying or mechanical choice. And honestly dark elves don't really have all that much going for them to begin with mechanical wise.

Take Icemule for example, if a Halfling and a Dark Elf each find/sell the same value of stuff the Halfling is going to have 1.1 mil for every 1 mil the Dark Elf earns.

How about Sol Haven, a Human is going to have 1.3 million for every 1 million the Dark Elf has. This is a huge disadvantage for the dark elf and again for nothing really in return. It doesn't really add any flavor to the game. No one is sitting there looking at their 10 million silvers saying "I accept the fact that I earn 3 million silvers less than humans because the townspeople don't like dark elves."

Let's buff trading to overcome these racial biases. Like take Sol Haven for example, humans receive a 5% racial bonus, the best. Half elves have -5% bonus, so make it so via training in trading they can eventually get to that +5% bonus. Same with other races; dark elves start off at -25% but eventually they can reach +5%.

So humans have the innate bonus and don't need to train to get the extra cash, half elves have to train in trading to get the same +5% bonus but dark elves have to train the most to reach that +5% bonus.

There we go. Dark Elves still get screwed for no reason but at least in this one aspect they can eventually overcome said screwedness via skill training.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 07:46 PM CDT
Honestly the racial bias thing is why I started having my halfling in Icemule sell stuff for my dark elves to begin with. Eventually I got the idea to train in trading on my halfling since he was selling everything for my characters anyways.

Now I'm forced to have all of my characters train in trading, which I'm fine with, but my dark elves are still at a huge disadvantage for no reason. Punishing dark elves adds when selling stuff adds zero to the game.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 09:29 PM CDT
>>Punishing dark elves adds when selling stuff adds zero to the game.

This means nothing. There are a ton of things that 'add zero to the game' depending on what's important to the player in question.

Great news, though - you can train up another character and ensure you get one you can rollplay better!

Doug
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 09:52 PM CDT
>This means nothing. There are a ton of things that 'add zero to the game' depending on what's important to the player in question.

It means everything. There is zero reason why a human in Sol Haven earns 30% more silver than a dark elf, all else being equal. What's the point? Does it add RP to the game? No. Is it because Dark Elves have such awesome stats that they need to earn fewer silvers to compensate? LOL. No.

So what's the point?

At least you can make the argument that sure, halflings have really low strength and carrying capacity but they make up for it with maneuver defense and great DEX and AGI.

What do dark elves have? Oh right, nothing really spectacular. Literally the only thing they have going for them is +5 WIS bonus. WOO HOO!

>Great news, though - you can train up another character and ensure you get one you can rollplay better!

OH YAY! What a brilliant solution! This mechanic is broken, it serves no purpose, it really should be fixed, but naww! Let's just tell someone who has been playing their dark elf characters for over a decade to just suck it up and roll up another character!

Stop being contrary for the sake of being contrary and accept the fact that racial bias makes no sense when selling stuff.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 10:17 PM CDT
>>There is zero reason why a human in Sol Haven earns 30% more silver than a dark elf,
Theres a whole wiki full of RP reasons. If you choose to remove those from the equation then sure, mechanically there is no give and take to balance the equation. But GS isn't a game of just mechanics or just RP, its a mix of both.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 10:27 PM CDT
>>Stop being contrary for the sake of being contrary

I'm not sure what purpose you think this served, but pretty confident it missed. I get that this is important to you. Started really getting important around the time the trading cap was put into play, I'll warrant. I mean, after a whole decade. . .

But you're attempting to prove your case using inappropriately selected comparisons.

Consider - do you also want to declare the halfling's inability to target the head of most creatures as a 'broken mechanic'?

Maybe the giantman's inability to get into certain areas without having to crawl?

The elven (all elves) spirit regeneration?

Talk about those mechanics in your comparisons (and others like those for other races), they'll be far, far more appropriately aligned.

Doug
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/21/2017 11:04 PM CDT
>Theres a whole wiki full of RP reasons.

The merchants already make snide remarks at my Dark Elves when they buy and sell stuff, the RP is already baked in. Plus we can achieve the same result by making it like a 1 or 2 point difference between the races, not 30%.

Also these are merchants, they should value trading above all else so when a really suave Dark Elf with 140 INF and 252 trading ranks walks in they should be bending over backwards to want to trade with this person. /mic drop

>I'm not sure what purpose you think this served, but pretty confident it missed.

It served the purpose that you aren't making any arguments and are being contrary just to be contrary. That was pretty evident.

>Started really getting important around the time the trading cap was put into play, I'll warrant. I mean, after a whole decade. . .

I've mentioned this throughout the years as well, but since I realized I could just hand stuff to my halfling to sell I didn't start some sort of crusade about it. Now that the GMs have decided to nerf this I'm mentioning it again. Also, you're kind of proving my point with this line here. "Oh you didn't care about this until the trading cap was put into place! Oh see, I like it the way it is now because it affects you personally!"

Yes, I get it, you are inherently against anything I am for. You have made that painfully obvious over the years. At least attempt to make an argument while you're at it.

>Consider - do you also want to declare the halfling's inability to target the head of most creatures as a 'broken mechanic'?

See now you're just being ridiculous because I specifically pointed to the fact that halflings have negatives to even out their positives. Instead of focusing on a race that has clear mechanical advantages and disadvantages that I've already pointed out, why not answer the question I already posed, which is; what makes Dark Elves so awesome mechanically that it warrants upwards of 30% less silver earnings compared to other races.

>Maybe the giantman's inability to get into certain areas without having to crawl?

Well a few seconds of inconvenience here and there certainly is on the same scale of earning millions of silvers less than other races that would take literally dozens of hours to earn.

Thanks for being rational about this.

>The elven (all elves) spirit regeneration?

Of which dark elves and elves are in a league of their own with the absolute worst spirit regen. You're not proving your argument here very well.

>Talk about those mechanics in your comparisons (and others like those for other races), they'll be far, far more appropriately aligned.

Not really for reasons I have already mentioned.

Try again but this time keep your personal feelings and bias towards me out of your argument and see if you come up with a better argument this time.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 01:00 AM CDT
Training in trading for my other characters is already paying off.

Satchel filled with gems appraised by a character which already reached the 1 mil max:

The gemcutter Zirconia takes the spidersilk satchel and inspects the contents carefully before saying, "I did find 272 gems that I'll give you 697570 silver for, if you want to sell."

Same satchel by character with 0 ranks of trading:

The gemcutter Zirconia takes the spidersilk satchel and inspects the contents carefully before saying, "I did find 272 gems that I'll give you 662460 silver for, if you want to sell."

Interesting to note the first character is a halfling and second character is a dark elf and this took place in Icemule so there should be a 10% difference (halflings receive +5% bonus, dark elves receive -5% bonus), yet the difference is ~5%, so not sure what's going on there.

I went ahead and fixskilled the second character into 202 ranks of trading and the same satchel:

The gemcutter Zirconia takes the spidersilk satchel and inspects the contents carefully before saying, "I did find 272 gems that I'll give you 843689 silver for, if you want to sell."

About a 21% boost right there.

I really do wonder if this change is fixing the problem it sought to address. Wouldn't people abusing this system just do what I'm doing and train all of their characters in trading?

If the problem you wanted to address was you wanted each character to use their own training points to get the advantage of increased silver earnings then I get it.

If the problem you wanted to address was some people were farming silvers too effectively then I don't think this change is going to have much of an impact.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 09:31 AM CDT
Ok, I'll admit, I lol'd. Woke up the household, thanks!

"But no, seriously, you're wrong" - I have agreed with you and supported your perspective many a time. In fact, ironically, the purposeful statement that 'kinda proves the point' is considered an 'acknowledgement' where I come from. Too funny!

But to the really relevant matter on the topic - what you're experiencing in your data can be found under the wonderful name of the trading formula's skill boost. It's a threshold thing. https://gswiki.play.net/Trading

As to the purpose of the change - I'd be interested in the response, as well. I have my suspicion about why the trading cap is in place, but would love to hear the formal answer too!

By the way, for real excitement in the 'how much am I really losing' experience, try a half-krolvin. ;)

Doug
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 09:40 AM CDT
>But to the really relevant matter on the topic - what you're experiencing in your data can be found under the wonderful name of the trading formula's skill boost. It's a threshold thing. https://gswiki.play.net/Trading

But if trading bonus is null after the 1 million weekly cap then this shouldn't affect anything.

Assuming INF still plays a role that would have explained 1% of the difference, but not the other 4%. It's not a big deal I suppose, just found it interesting. Or perhaps the racial bias information is wrong.

>As to the purpose of the change - I'd be interested in the response, as well.

I believe the explanation we were given, I just wonder if the change served its purpose.

In my case I'm just going to go ahead and train all of my guys in trading, I imagine everyone else who is affected by this will do the same.

This was just a temporary fix if anything. Or perhaps the GMs were hoping no one would notice the nerf but once people mentioned it they figured they might as well let the cat out of the bag.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 10:08 AM CDT
>>But if trading bonus is null after the 1 million weekly cap then this shouldn't affect anything.

Hmm. . . point. I took the announcement to mean that the trading skill was ignored, which would still allow for the skill boost portion of the formula. But you may be right on this point. I see what you mean about the math not quite covering the observation. Maybe that can get an NIR clarification, too!

Doug
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 10:30 AM CDT
>>But if trading bonus is null after the 1 million weekly cap then this shouldn't affect anything.

It isn't NULL after the first million. It's NULL after the first million that the character doing the selling didn't collect. So if your seller did some hunting / loot gathering as well during the week it could influence the results you are seeing.

Just a thought.

-- Robert

Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 11:25 AM CDT
They should get rid of the Trading skill and the Racial bias all together.
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 11:30 AM CDT
Maybe get rid of race too while we are at it?

-- Robert

Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 02:38 PM CDT
< Maybe get rid of race too while we are at it? >

at least your not blowing it out of proportion, allow me to explain for you.

Silver is most often used with trading with players - it's rarely ever used in significant quantity when trading with non-person characters. there is no player seller whom has ever said...well your an x/y race, so pay me more... since racial bias does not apply to 99% of spending silvers - it should not be a factor in gaining silvers... but. I'll wait for you to reply with how it in fact promotes a contiguous role-play experience, outside of making it easier for the GM's to identify the silver-farmers through mechanical advantages it allows. Not that they will do anything about it.. the MA silver teams likely make up significant portion of the active subscription counts.

The only places racial bias (in a general RP-standpoint) is done correctly in my humble opinion is in Ta'Vaalor and arguably Ta'Illisitm with Dark elves and the Inn's they cannot use. My Character does not like Ta'Illisitm and rarely steps foot in it/takes part in those storylines because of it :)
Re: Trading Weekly Cap? 07/22/2017 03:34 PM CDT
Flame at me if you will, but I have seen some of the in my eye better RPers out there that do charge more to races they do not like. Just because most players do not follow that does not mean its an invalid RP. So yes, there are a few cases where its happened.