Prev_page Previous 1
Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 03:20 PM CST
The following adjustments have been made to the Elemental Confluence hunting ground:

-All the elementals in the Confluence now randomly drop a new form of treasure: plinite. Plinite is the solidified energy (or "heartstone") of the elemental. It can be sold to the gemshop as is, or one can attempt to manually extract the plinite's elemental power core. Careful extraction is done via the EXTRACT verb and requires a lockpick and training in both the Picking Locks and Disarming Traps skills. If successful, the core is extracted and the plinite casing preserved for sale to the gemshop.

One can also use brute force to pry open the plinite via the OPEN verb. Doing so automatically destroys the plinite casing but allows the core to be recovered without a skill check. Prying open the plinite casing while still in the Confluence is dangerous however, as the surrounding environment will amplify the released energy from the shattered plinite.

The recovered cores are mostly relatively valuable gems, but some contain unusual magical effects based upon their appearance (all activated via the RAISE verb). Possible effects include the ability to quickly leave the Confluence, the ability to be immediately drawn to your nearby attuned entry portal to the Confluence, enhanced protection from the innate dispel attack of the elementals, enhanced protection from elemental damage, temporary reactive elemental flares, temporary enhancive boosts, and more!

-The creatures in the "hot side" of the Confluence (lava, fire, steam, and lightning elementals) have been adjusted upwardly in level (with updated statistics to match):

Fire Elementals - Level 99
Lightning Elementals - Level 100
Lava Elementals - Level 100
Steam Elementals - Level 99

-A significant bug was detected that was causing all the elemental's TDs (particularly spirit ones) to be extremely low. This is has been corrected. While the creature TDs are still lower than average, they are no longer dozens of levels lower than they should be.

Coase
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 03:48 PM CST
>Careful extraction is done via the EXTRACT verb and requires a lockpick and training in both the Picking Locks and Disarming Traps skills. If successful, the core is extracted and the plinite casing preserved for sale to the gemshop. -Coase

Roughly how well trained should a locksmith expect to be in order to be successful at this extraction process? Is there a harmful effect on failure?

---
With great effort you combine the value of your two bloodscrip, leaving you with a single parchment bloodscrip valued at 2112.
You think to yourself, "Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..."
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 05:42 PM CST
This update sounds amazing! Great job addressing some of the concerns with the hunting area. Do you get exp when extracting similar to lickpicking or is it just a skill check?
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 05:51 PM CST
>Roughly how well trained should a locksmith expect to be in order to be successful at this extraction process? Is there a harmful effect on failure?

The difficulty closely mirrors typical box lock difficulty for the level (except requiring both Lockpicking and Disarm skills). Sufficiently large failures can result in damage to the plinite casing, reducing its saleable value. Too much damage can completely rupture the power core, destroying the plinite and injuring the picker.

>Do you get exp when extracting similar to lickpicking

Yes, you can earn lockpicking experience for successful extractions.

Coase
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 05:58 PM CST
I like the updates. The plinites are a great addition that makes the loot just a bit more interesting. Those tranquil cores will definitely be something to stock up on. Any hints on what the balanced cores do? I saw the Elemental Transfer Protection pop up under spell active. I tried to see if it had an effect on getting dispelled due to high DS, or if it prevented flare damage, but neither were the case.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 06:01 PM CST
I like the ideas here a lot. Sadly I didn't quite make it to cap before this happened. I only started hunting the Confluence seriously like a week ago (moving, busy IRL, bad internet before, etc). Murphy's Law I guess.

>While the creature TDs are still lower than average, they are no longer dozens of levels lower than they should be.

I can appreciate that the previous TDs were rather absurdly low. However, I'm a little unclear how these TDs are "lower than average". I understand it might be normal to be a dark elven sorcerer and massively over-train the Sorcerer Base, but am I expected to be able to hunt the Confluence now before I'm post-cap? I already have 99 ranks of Survival and Climbing for the place.

Here are some numbers:

Level: 97

Aura (AUR): 99 (19) ... 121 (30)
Wisdom (WIS): 99 (24) ... 104 (27)

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 119

You gesture at a huge ice elemental.
CS: +476 - TD: +458 + CvA: +25 + d100: +27 == +70
Warded off!
Nothing happens.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Compared to an arbitrary Grimswarm in my logs from last week:

You gesture at a Grimswarm troll archer.
CS: +472 - TD: +372 + CvA: +8 + d100: +61 == +169
Warding failed!
A Grimswarm troll archer's eyes flash with a searing jolt of light!

gswiki has a siren's Sorcerer Base TD at 406.

Once I'm capped, with over 160 ranks in Sorcerer Base and 75 ranks in MnE, I'll be able to reliably ward a creature that's...level 95.

Was there a bit of a knee-jerk in adjusting these TDs? Probably players of other sorcerers will reply saying I'm crazy for having ~120 ranks of sorcerer base but come on this is still quite a bit over 1x, and I have enhancives on for Aura and Wisdom.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 06:53 PM CST
>I can appreciate that the previous TDs were rather absurdly low. However, I'm a little unclear how these TDs are "lower than average".

I understand the concern, but comparing semi creatures to what are supposed to be the most... elementalist creatures in the game... is hardly apples to apples.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 07:05 PM CST
>>I can appreciate that the previous TDs were rather absurdly low. However, I'm a little unclear how these TDs are "lower than average".

>I understand the concern, but comparing semi creatures to what are supposed to be the most... elementalist creatures in the game... is hardly apples to apples.

Can I compare them to greater earth elementals that are nominally level 88?

I see sorcerer TDs ranging from 372 to 401 in my logs.

Let's take the highest one. (401/88)*95 =~ 428.

I didn't stay in long to get good statistics, but the lowest TD I was seeing was 443. So even comparing apples to apples with the most favorable case...these are on the high end.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 07:31 PM CST
I suppose the difference can be all the spells these elementals have compared to greater earth elementals, where the base TD may use a similar formulation.

The TDs are lower than greater water elementals in Nelemar it would appear :D

Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 08:01 PM CST
I havent been in since the changes and I cant speak to sorcerer TD but I can definitely say that the elementals spirit TD seemed lower than it should have been. For my capped cleric I always assumed it the pure spiritualist vs. a 95 trained elemental being at work but I can also see it being an oversight. Adjustments were needed I just hope they are reasonable.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 08:06 PM CST
Not related to these updates but any word if Sigil of escape is intended to get within a couple of rooms of a tranquility like symbol of return or 130? With the new methods to escape the confluence now it has less importance but i'm still curious.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 08:17 PM CST
With lightning elementals now level 100, could we please have lightning resistance added to 620?

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 08:35 PM CST
>With lightning elementals now level 100, could we please have lightning resistance added to 620? - Droit

Seconded.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 09:03 PM CST
>With lightning elementals now level 100, could we please have lightning resistance added to 620? - Droit

Seems more like a Wizard ability.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 09:15 PM CST
>I havent been in since the changes and I cant speak to sorcerer TD but I can definitely say that the elementals spirit TD seemed lower than it should have been.

The sorcerer TD was also insanely low before. Like 330s to 350s. The sad thing is I was still dying not too infrequently, mostly from air elementals. Either 1 second RT for movement and they'd get me, or enter the room on my cast RT, and a second later do the blowing thing (which blows). When I hunted the hot side it was pretty much okay (though they could get me, too).

There's not much to compare with, but it's become like a flip of a coin if I can even ward them now. My sorcerer's training is diversified so I know his CS is isn't amazing. But if this was really a "below average" TD it shouldn't be nearly so bad as that, right? I understand there are not a lot of creatures to really compare against considering there's nothing that's level 95 besides the elementals.

Still getting hit with RT for movement is pretty lame I have to say. It's not often but it still kills me.

Survival...........................| 199 99
Climbing...........................| 199 99
Agility (AGI): 99 (34) ... 99 (34)
Intuition (INT): 99 (34) ... 99 (34)

I can appreciate that the TDs were apparently a bug, but given this quite drastic raise in difficulty, the pre-existing hazards have become that much worse.

I do want to check out some more interesting hunting tactics, since spamming Pain was effective before but boring.

Anyway, I am really excited that the Confluence is still being improved. The regular changes to this game is what keeps it interesting and fun.

Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 10:18 PM CST
> but some contain unusual magical effects based upon their appearance
Cool!
> have been adjusted upwardly in level (with updated statistics to match)
Cool!!
> A significant bug was detected that was causing all the elemental's TDs (particularly spirit ones) to be extremely low.
Alright I'm not so excited about this one, but I do admit their TDs were silly.

Thanks!
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/17/2016 11:54 PM CST
I like the loot and level changes. The TD increases are very steep though. On the cold side, they were typically 350-60 MjE TD before (extremely low, admittedly), and are now around 450 for the most part. It makes sense that they had to come up, but this is a large difference.

Just out of curiosity, what are you benchmarking them against when you say they are lower than average? Ithzir seers (96), adepts (96), and war griffins (100) are about the same at ~450 MjE TD. Heralds (93) and Janissaries (92) are quite a bit lower as I recall, although I can't remember exactly since I've been hunting nothing but Confluence for the last 4 months.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 01:05 AM CST

You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a huge earth elemental.
CS: +465 - TD: +425 + CvA: +25 + d100: +37 == +102

You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a war griffin.
CS: +465 - TD: +390 + CvA: +25 + d100: +49 == +149

You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at an Ithzir adept.
CS: +465 - TD: +381 + CvA: +19 + d100: +19 == +122

You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at an Ithzir seer.
CS: +465 - TD: +385 + CvA: +19 + d100: +95 == +194

I'd also like to question what the elementals TD is supposed to be lower than... all three of those are higher train, but my margin to ward is significantly better. I'm not in the Rift at the moment to get examples but I am certain I have better odds to ward crawlers, celebrates, and fallen crusaders as well.

If they are meant to be a post cap hunting area that's fine, I'll plan accordingly.

Also I want to say I do like both the level split and, especially, the custom new loot for the place. My first impression is it gives the place a feel of more coherence than it had previously.

Taluric.

p.s. While we're looking at the place is there any hope of ever changing the RT mechanic to somehow apply in a uniform fashion to groups? Even if it used the worst persons skills to calculate it, it would be a pretty big QOL improvement for the very few of us who go there in pairs sometimes.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 01:17 AM CST
Does the lockpick used matter for extraction?

I just extract 10 of these and didn't gain any experience that I could tell.

403 doesn't seem to help.. Does 404 help?

I can pick scatter boxes up to -1370 and disarm -480 traps but I still fail at extracting cores sometimes. Kind of odd.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 01:42 AM CST
>Any hints on what the balanced cores do? I saw the Elemental Transfer Protection pop up under spell active.

It prevents the passive transfer of energy to the player (or their weapon) when the player beating up an elemental (aka prevents the weapon heating/cooling/zapping abilities of certain elemental).

>Not related to these updates but any word if Sigil of escape is intended to get within a couple of rooms of a tranquility like symbol of return or 130?

It looks like there was a bug that was preventing Sigil of Escape from not teleporting you properly. That should now be fixed.

Coase
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 05:29 AM CST

>I just extract 10 of these and didn't gain any experience that I could tell.

Do initial testing from belled. Its unlikely to be much anyway, because typical difficulty for level requires 403 and 404 and thats going to take somewhere between 50% and 100% of your potential experience, which is anyway pretty low without a method to match pick to task difficulty. When an exp award is likely to be single figures, you'll need to be going belled to belled to see if it is actually non-zero.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 08:08 AM CST
I just have to say these are great changes. The level changes alone would have been great but now there are some really great QOL improvements to the area with the cores. The fact I can hunt lightning elementals now is amazing. Great job!
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 10:27 AM CST
>It prevents the passive transfer of energy to the player (or their weapon) when the player beating up an elemental (aka prevents the weapon heating/cooling/zapping abilities of certain elemental).

Ah, that explains it. I do my utmost not to experience either of those conditions so no wonder. These lightning elementals are about to feel the back of my hand. As a related question, do any weapon flares prevent lightning elemental zapping, or can it only be avoided by using non-metal weapons?

>It looks like there was a bug that was preventing Sigil of Escape from not teleporting you properly. That should now be fixed.

Nice.

Droit

Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 10:37 AM CST
I'm not sure if this is a bug with 903 or with water/ice elementals. If it's not a bug, the messaging is very misleading.

TLDR: 903 is casting minor water instead of minor steam on water/ice elementals. Not sure if it's doing it to anything on the fire

>incant set

INCANT CHANNEL Spells:
- None

INCANT EVOKE Spells:
- 506: Celerity
- 903: Minor Water

INCANT OPEN Spells:
- None

You gesture at a huge air elemental.
You hurl a seething blast of steam at a huge air elemental!
AS: +467 vs DS: +300 with AvD: +48 + d100 roll: +66 = +281
... and hit for 124 points of damage!
You sense a surge of essence being dragged from the elemental, only to dissipate as your multicolored soulstone overflows with power.
The air elemental shudders and then whirls away into nothingness.
The silvery luminescence fades from around a huge air elemental.
The bright luminescence fades from around a huge air elemental.
A huge air elemental appears somehow different.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around a huge air elemental.
A huge air elemental glances around, looking a bit less confident.
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves a huge air elemental.
Cast Roundtime 1 Second.

You gesture at a huge ice elemental.
You hurl a stream of water at a huge ice elemental!

The ice elemental shimmers as the water splashes over its body, freezing instantaneously!

The ice elemental looks a little better!
Cast Roundtime 1 Second.

On that note, the TD increases do seem a bit steep. Most of them seem to be in the 450-470 range, at least from the limited testing I squeezed in at work. I'm on Teras right now so I can't go fetch numbers on it, but I'm pretty sure plane 4 has lower TDs than the Confluence does now despite Confluence being lower level.

~ Methais
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 11:19 AM CST
TDs do seem super high now that I've tried out the new confluence myself. I think I saw 489 from one of the lightning ones?

I found 705 bolt worked half-decent (180 necro lore helps).

Really looking forward to finding/trying these balance orbs.

Despite the TD troubles, I think these changes are what will finally make this a semi-common hunting option, (rather than a mostly-forgotten oddity frequented only by a few lunatics :-). Thanks very much for the continuous improvement.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 12:15 PM CST
>Despite the TD troubles, I think these changes are what will finally make this a semi-common hunting option, (rather than a mostly-forgotten oddity frequented only by a few lunatics :-). Thanks very much for the continuous improvement.

But I like it being a mostly-forgotten oddity frequented only by a few lunatics. :(

~ Methais
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 12:39 PM CST
I am fairly certain that is a bug with EVOKE in the ice elemental script. I will try to locate it precisely, since I remember having to make exceptions to 903 being cast at ice creatures to account for it being steam instead. The evoke changes were made after steam bolt was introduced, so this may be one of those outlying oddball things that didn't get updated.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

~Contemplar~
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 12:46 PM CST
It would be pretty cool if we could WAVE an escape core at a dead body to boot them out of the confluence, wouldn't it? yesnomaybe?
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 12:52 PM CST
>I am fairly certain that is a bug with EVOKE in the ice elemental script. I will try to locate it precisely, since I remember having to make exceptions to 903 being cast at ice creatures to account for it being steam instead. The evoke changes were made after steam bolt was introduced, so this may be one of those outlying oddball things that didn't get updated.

This bug also applies to inc 903 evoke with water elementals and greater water elementals as I've posted in the Wizard folder and bug magic'ed in game also.

Also, is it intentional that inc 903 evoke does not work on fire elementals, or is that a function of it being based on fire lore?
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 01:02 PM CST
>I am fairly certain that is a bug with EVOKE in the ice elemental script. I will try to locate it precisely, since I remember having to make exceptions to 903 being cast at ice creatures to account for it being steam instead. The evoke changes were made after steam bolt was introduced, so this may be one of those outlying oddball things that didn't get updated.

>Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

>~Contemplar~

omg is it fixed yet?!?!?E?R??@?R!?R?

Just kidding. Thanks for looking into it. Does this apply to water elementals too? I'm 99% sure it does the same thing with them. I'm just unable to test it right now to verify.

I don't remember the messaging, but minor steam doesn't work on fire/lava elementals either. I'm guessing that's intentional since steam is pretty hot and fire is hotter, but just wanted to make sure.

~ Methais
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 02:04 PM CST

Do initial testing from belled. Its unlikely to be much anyway, because typical difficulty for level requires 403 and 404 and thats going to take somewhere between 50% and 100% of your potential experience, which is anyway pretty low without a method to match pick to task difficulty. When an exp award is likely to be single figures, you'll need to be going belled to belled to see if it is actually non-zero.

This was done without 403/404. No experience gained from what I can tell. I could pick 10 kobold boxes and get more exp probably lol.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 05:01 PM CST
>Despite the TD troubles, I think these changes are what will finally make this a semi-common hunting option, (rather than a mostly-forgotten oddity frequented only by a few lunatics :-). Thanks very much for the continuous improvement.

Hunting at level ~95 when I can ward everything with a large margin and Pain lock it 100% of the time: Lunatic

Likelihood of getting PWNED goes way up: YAAAAAAAY!

Why oh why did you leave River's Rest, Goat?

Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/18/2016 11:52 PM CST
>But I like it being a mostly-forgotten oddity frequented only by a few lunatics. :(

Lol, I agree. I've hunted the Landing Confluence exclusively (other than bandits) for the last 4 months and I have only once seen anyone else inside. It was a two-person group, and I helped Gate one of their corpses to the Tranquility.

On the plus side, the swarms should get nice and crazy with even a few people inside, if the solo gen-rates are any indication.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/19/2016 12:04 AM CST
> Hunting at level ~95 when I can ward everything with a large margin and Pain lock it 100% of the time: Lunatic
Okay okay. I can see it being troublesome if you're in the 90-99 range :-p But having level 99/100 stuff is way better for the postcap crowd, I think, despite the difficulties. And the new cores help get past a lot of the annoyances.

> Why oh why did you leave River's Rest, Goat?
I'll make another trip soon!
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/19/2016 05:58 AM CST
>This was done without 403/404. No experience gained from what I can tell. I could pick 10 kobold boxes and get more exp probably lol.

I get more experience off kobold boxes than capped boxes, because I can match picks to kobold boxes and capped boxes require lore. If you haven't got a way of matching a pick to it you aren't going to get much experience for it, but whether its 5 or 25 (or 0), you'd need to do it belled to find out.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/19/2016 07:38 AM CST

Not sure if this is worth mentioning. But gathering arrows is a pain as it is. With them being sometimes being hidden, shooting off to other rooms, and outright loss. Having arrows heating up and cooling down, and not gathering on top of that, is double the fun.

Like the changes to conflux over all. Thank you for the work.

Aurach
John
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/19/2016 08:47 AM CST
>But having level 99/100 stuff is way better for the postcap crowd

Oh, absolutely. The division of levels to one side in another was a design feature I wondered since the original release why they didn't do it that way. Of course, given that I hate air elementals at just this moment I am sad, but in the long run it means I can avoid them.

I started doing a bit more FWI Confluence hunting last weekend for more prayer of a rescue when I die so, I'll continue that philosophy for now.

Still hoping the TDs might be adjusted down a little bit, at least for the cold side. It's pretty darn hard to hunt there for warding at 95 and get fried without wracking.

Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/19/2016 11:22 AM CST
I've put together a list of what we know about plinites and cores so far on the PC. If anyone has found more information to add please post it.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?100816-Elemental-Confluence-Plinites-and-Cores

Droit

Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/20/2016 01:17 AM CST

These changes that supposedly give locksmiths something do from the confluence are just another slap in the face. There is no useful feedback on extraction and the amount of experience given is negligible, at best. Might as well have continued not offering anything for locksmiths from the area.
Re: Elemental Confluence Updates! 02/20/2016 01:22 PM CST
>These changes that supposedly give locksmiths something do from the confluence are just another slap in the face. There is no useful feedback on extraction and the amount of experience given is negligible, at best. Might as well have continued not offering anything for locksmiths from the area.

I don't have any pickers right now, but I'm curious about these things. Do they all give minimal exp or what's the deal with them?

~ Methais
Prev_page Previous 1