Prev_page Previous 1
Claid or lance? 01/05/2013 12:30 PM CST
Just curious what people would go for. I have a sancted 4x lance or a sancted 2x claidhmore. The DF of the lance is great, but hard to pass up the awesome crit weighting of the claid. What do other people prefer?
Re: Claid or lance? 01/05/2013 01:37 PM CST
I'd vote for the claid, the enchant difference isn't that much and it is slightly cheaper to train THW then it is polearms. Claids are also a bit easier/faster to swing then lances. That is purely mechanical, each one would work well though and I'd suggest you go with which ever would fit the RP of your character better.
Re: Claid or lance? 01/05/2013 05:46 PM CST
I think the biggest NORMAL argument for lance vs claid is that the average claid is not magic or able to be blessed. Since yours is both magic and sancted, that takes a huge part of the argument away. I personally would say go claid, but I know a lot would still prefer the lance. I guess it also depends on the race, and how fast you can swing.
Re: Claid or lance? 01/05/2013 07:05 PM CST
Also be aware that lances have a high probability of doing puncture damage versus a claid doing mostly crush/slash. There are a lot of creatures, especially undead, that are immune to punctures or resistant to them.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Claid or lance? 01/05/2013 08:56 PM CST
>There are a lot of creatures, especially undead, that are immune to punctures or resistant to them.
~Aulis

Barring the outlier creature here and there (only able to be hit by blunts, or spells, etc etc), outright puncture immunity was removed year(s) ago. This change seemed mainly due to archers vocalizing their difficulty with hunting undead.

-farmer
Re: Claid or lance? 01/05/2013 09:05 PM CST
>I'd suggest you go with which ever would fit the RP of your character better.
TROUBLE13

I always pick RP over mechanics. Hoe anyone?

With that said, lances are going to be cheaper for TPs, which is going to help immensely when you consider you're already at an AS disavantage and are going to need to take advantage of spells more than a square or semi. The other factor is that lances are going to give you the cheaper route to higher AS (enchants, sanct), which is going to be important as you gain more levels.

-farmer
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 12:08 AM CST
I would go with polearms for one specific reason. Clerics are less suited for physical weapon use than empaths or warmages, because they have poorer physical AS boosters. (I have argued for the cap on weapon AS boost from 307 to be raised to level, the way it is for bolt attacks, but the game designers apparently feel this is undesirable). That being the case, I would go with the sancted 4x lance for now, but start saving money today to buy a higher enchant lance later on, after you have gotten the ability to bless magic metals.

If you can find a 7x lance, and afford to buy it, you can then bless it and get holy water flares. Sell the claidh and the 4x lance to help finance the 7x weapon. (Paladins might be a better customer for a weapon of this sort, since paladins have zero difficulty with weapon AS; in fact they can get the hghest weapon AS of any profession in he game). The AS differential between a 7x lance and a 2x claidh will make a difference many times between hitting or missing vs foes with a decent DS. You can't get claidh crit weighting damage if you can't hit the target!

Note that lances do NOT do only puncture damage; they can also cause crush damage. Since you will need to 1x in CMan skill anyway, you could even learn precision and set your lance to crush damage of you are worried about punctures. (How does a lance do crush damage? I'd imagine you swing it sideways and try to whack the target upside the head; go figure).

Oh! And what a coincidence! I just happen to have a 7x lance for sale for a mere 6.5 million!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 01:01 AM CST
Thats about the selling value of a 2x claidh too. While I am personally not all that enamoured with lances due to their hefty RT requirements, this is a good opportunity for you to make a serious decision and end up with a highly valuable weapon no matter which path you take.
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 03:03 AM CST
Thanks for the replies everyone. Think what I might do (since my character is quite young still) is start off using the claid, and then, down the road sometime when I find AS being a problem and can also bless magic metals, switch to the lance.

THROGG, assuming your 7x lance is blessable, I'd be interested in buying it :) I've got another lance weilding character that could make use of it for a while.
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 10:26 AM CST

Paladins might be a better customer for a weapon of this sort, since paladins have zero difficultywith weapon AS;in fact they can get the hghest weapon AS of any profession in he game).

Throgg

False.

Dgry
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 11:14 AM CST
>>False. <<

OK, I have seen a capped paladin generate an AS of 600. Who can do better?

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 11:41 AM CST
Self spelled, bards are going to be up there too. Assuming they do something silly like 2x CM and max out targeting. Not sure who can do higher, especially if you count the ability to self-cast 117. At the least, paladins have an easier time of building a high AS build.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 12:48 PM CST

OK, I have seen a capped paladin generate an AS of 600. Who can do better?

Warriors. You'll start seeing more and more warriors outpace paladins in AS as the post cappers turn their goals to maximizing those skills over other options.

Dgry
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 12:50 PM CST
At the least, paladins have an easier time of building a high AS build.

This is true.

Dgry
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 03:12 PM CST
I have been thinking about the last few comments on this thread. That 600 or so AS I mentioned was of course with all the stops pulled out. I suspect spirit strike, 7x or better weapon, enhancive items and odd scrolls like Phoen's strength were probably involved. To get a true comparison of weapon AS we should probably pick a standard race/strength bonus, assume 4x weapon, and only use self generated abilities. Ignore society powers, since they vary. I am debating whether or not to include spirit strike as an ability. I think I will exclude it because it is a one shot only deal; also we could argue over whether or not rogues and warriors should be able to list this. While theoretically possible for a warrior to learn 117, it's highly unlikely. Also, I am interested in stuff that is active for most of a hunt rather than acting for one swing. For the same reason I would exclude ranger's camoflage spell.

I think we should also assume learnable cmans at full value; this would include 5 ranks wspec, 5 ranks surge, and full bonding. I'll have to give it some thought.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 07:56 PM CST
600 AS is actually a very low number for a capped paladin. Menos is almost surely one of the lowest AS builds of any capped paladin. If anyone is lower, it is some crazy pure-casting build. Even so, his hunting AS is like 570 without any real effort. A more normal paladin build at the cap (using zealot, surge, and higher enchant gear) is likely to be in the 625-650 range with ease. The really committed folks using enhancives and scrolls are routinely north of 700 for a hunting AS. I can only imagine what they look like when maxed out for an invasion.

I am not sure how a warrior could reasonably in contention for highest AS, unless they are way post cap and using elemental targeting. Cman bonding, yelp, and sattack are about all they have that others do not have access to. That is not to say they are not masters of melee combat with the powerhouse that is the new berserk and all those Cmans.

Trying to stay somewhat on topic. Paladins are a great path for the old weapon using cleric players out there. It is a very different life, more like a warrior with a few cleric tricks, but it is sure lots of fun. If you are interested in playing one, feel free to drop me a line on AIM and I will help however I can.

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Claid or lance? 01/06/2013 07:57 PM CST
>That 600 or so AS I mentioned was of course with all the stops pulled out.
Throgg

At 81? 82? I can break that with some 'stops pulled out'. With 'all the stops pulled out' I can go a lot higher than 600.

>Ignore society powers, since they vary....I think we should also assume learnable cmans at full value

CMans vary.

-farmer
Re: Claid or lance? 01/07/2013 06:06 PM CST

Warriors can also use coup and post cap it wouldn't be impossible for a warrior to have targeting if they wanted to sacrifice other skills first. It would be unlikely to see a warrior ever get the full bonus from 425 but +25 and up to +40 from coup is alot. Without question bards and paladins have the simplest training path for monstrous AS, though.

My vote also goes for the claid in terms of my personal RP, but lances for mechanics if you can swing them fast enough and get the enchant high enough. While I wish clerics could swing as hard as empaths or mages and want the bonus from 307 uncapped, 301 and 316 are so strong for setting up kills it would shift the balance too much in clerics advantage, imo. We are really great at melee for several levels but there is a point where other classes start to shine
Re: Claid or lance? 01/08/2013 07:03 PM CST
>>THROGG, assuming your 7x lance is blessable, I'd be interested in buying it :) I've got another lance weilding character that could make use of it for a while.<<

It is. Give me a shout at Guennhafyr@yahoo.com.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 01/14/2013 04:12 PM CST
Myddfai, I got your e-mail but for some reason I don't seem to have any way to reply to it. I'll try contacting your GS account address.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 01/23/2013 06:47 AM CST

Sorry, don't check the boards here very often. Sent you another email with some contact info.
Re: Claid or lance? 01/24/2013 04:42 PM CST
I cannot reply to your e-mail name; yahoo does not recognize it as a valid e-mail address. Sending message to your play.net address.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/23/2013 02:32 PM CDT
This thread seems to have passed, but I wanted to bring up something that didn't seem to be mentioned (perhaps I missed it). In comparing Lances and Claids, you juggle the RT stuff of course, but the biggest difference is (obviously): Lance has huge dF, Claid has huge CW. Now, for someone with high AS, especially a paladin, the huge dF of the lance will often mean a crit on par with what a Claid would deliver. But on the lower end rolls you get with a cleric, the Claid is (in my opinion) totally the better choice. As soon as you get a measly rank 1 crit, which is not a very high end roll with a Claid, that huge chunk of phantom damage gets piled on, which means a bigger crit, a more disabled critter, and more damage. I don't have time at the moment to give precise comparisons, but anyone can go to krakii and look over dF and crit tables and work this out, but the upshot is that with your typical War Cleric end roll in the high 100s, the Claid is going to have a massive advantage in crit rank over the Lance, and probably similar damage given the increased damage from the more sever crit.

So, I recommend you look closely at all the numbers yourself, but from a mechanical point of view I think the Claid is a pretty clear winner for a War Cleric, especially if you have a magical metal/sancted one (nice!). Now, that being said, I'm firmly in the camp of "what do you see your character using?" This game is not mechanically hard, and you can make either one work. My War Cleric actually uses polearms, and indeed uses a trident since he's a follower of Charl. Now, granted it's a very...very...very good trident, it's still no lance. That being said I have no problem cleaning house with it, and being a Cleric of Charl who carries around a sancted trident named "Sea's Judgment" makes me happier than a slightly more mechanically effective character would. Good luck and have fun!

Player of Zagglewurst
Re: Claid or lance? 03/23/2013 07:03 PM CDT
You can, of course, use whatever weapon you fancy. You can train in thrown weapons and chuck daggers at things if you so desire. However, if you want the most effective attack form, you will end up choosing between a lance and a mean THW. (High enchant maul vs claidh). Just be aware that clerics aren't the best pure class for using a weapon; mages are prime, empaths come next. OK, yes, I did get my cleric to cap using THWs, but weapons were hardly her most effective attack mode. By the time she was in her 90's, her mattock was more or less an afterthought.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/23/2013 10:09 PM CDT
You can, of course, use whatever weapon you fancy. You can train in thrown weapons and chuck daggers at things if you so desire. However, if you want the most effective attack form, you will end up choosing between a lance and a mean THW. (High enchant maul vs claidh). Just be aware that clerics aren't the best pure class for using a weapon; mages are prime, empaths come next. OK, yes, I did get my cleric to cap using THWs, but weapons were hardly her most effective attack mode. By the time she was in her 90's, her mattock was more or less an afterthought.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me

1. However, if you want the most effective attack form, you will end up choosing between a lance and a mean THW. - false
2. Just be aware that clerics aren't the best pure class for using a weapon; mages are prime, empaths come next. - false
3. By the time she was in her 90's, her mattock was more or less an afterthought. - proves that #1 is false

Dgry

Re: Claid or lance? 03/24/2013 12:28 AM CDT
>>1. However, if you want the most effective attack form, you will end up choosing between a lance and a mean THW. - false
2. Just be aware that clerics aren't the best pure class for using a weapon; mages are prime, empaths come next. - false
3. By the time she was in her 90's, her mattock was more or less an afterthought. - proves that #1 is false<<

OK, in what ways are my statements false? My mattock was one of those VHDW black ash mattocks. I did also have a 7x maul, however. Are you actually saying that clerics are better weapon users than mages or empaths? Put up some hard data to support this! Are you suggesting that OHE/OHB/shield is better than maul/lance? What planet are you living on?

Post cap, I changed my cleric to a pure caster. I left my warmage and warpath as THW users. Why? Because they were better suited to using weapons.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/24/2013 01:10 AM CDT
Let me put this in a slightly different context. During the recent unpleasantness with the Lich king, all three of my capped characters (cleric, warmage, warpath) were able to hunt the top levels of the citadel (critters up to level 120). However, my cleric was using spells, my mage and empath were using their 7x THWs. (7x perfect maul, 7x superior flail). OK, the fact that all 3 are in Voln, and the baddies were all undead certainly helped, (symbol of supremacy!) but the fact remains, my weapon using gals were equal to the challenge.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/24/2013 03:40 AM CDT
>> During the recent unpleasantness with the Lich king, all three of my capped characters (cleric, warmage, warpath) were able to hunt the top levels of the citadel (critters up to level 120).

Odd, you only showed clips of hunting the lower level of it. On the top floor though, the horrors had a very laughable defense. The knights had a DS of over 500 in most cases and the same with the apparitions. I had hunted up there a good bit with a voln cleric, he did rather well but also had max CS along with enhancives. But even with all that gear some of the apparitions weren't an autoward for him.
Re: Claid or lance? 03/24/2013 11:56 AM CDT
>>1. However, if you want the most effective attack form, you will end up choosing between a lance and a mean THW. - false
3. By the time she was in her 90's, her mattock was more or less an afterthought. - proves that #1 is false<<

OK, in what ways are my statements false? My mattock was one of those VHDW black ash mattocks. I did also have a 7x maul, however. Are you actually saying that clerics are better weapon users than mages or empaths? Put up some hard data to support this! Are you suggesting that OHE/OHB/shield is better than maul/lance? What planet are you living on?

Post cap, I changed my cleric to a pure caster. I left my warmage and warpath as THW users. Why? Because they were better suited to using weapons.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me

You've been told this before on other boards, but don't seem to accept it, though it looks like you've finally done so on your cleric.

The most effective attack form for any pure at cap is spells, that's why're they're pures. The second most effective attack form for most of the pures you listed is ranged, in my opinion. It's difficult to make a blanket statement like #2 and have it be true, but it is somewhat misleading. Assuming thws, if you go by AS alone, empaths are in the lead, mages second, clerics last. Add in spells and the picture gets a lot more murky and depends on how you define effectiveness. At that point is it the class that can kill with the least amount of RT or the least amount of mana spent? Are you strictly talking magic-immune creatures? Creatures under a certain DS? Or are you weighing in every possible combination? Lastly, if you're including spells in the comparison, how many post-cap TPs are you factoring in as that weighs in heavily on the effectiveness of some spells.

Dgry
Re: Claid or lance? 03/24/2013 12:12 PM CDT
>>The most effective attack form for any pure at cap is spells, that's why're they're pures.<<

Oh for heaven's sake! I have never claimed otherwise! One of my oldest characters is a sorceress who hasn't touched a weapon since she was killing rats in the sewers at level 5. I never said using weapons was more effective ... well, actually, maybe for a warmage it is ... but rather it gives an alternate mode of attack. Useful vs the (admittedly rare) magic immune foe. Also more fun as a matter of style; weapon using "pure" professions are mutant builds. I have an empath who can use a focused MStrike. Do you know hopw many TPs I had to sink into that skill to achieve that result? It was like trying to fill up a black hole. But now she can use either a THW or a runestaff, depending on what the circumstances call for.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/24/2013 12:51 PM CDT
Let me elucidate further. My empath has gone through sveral incarnations. At first she used sword and board (as mnost casters do), until level 6 or so. Then I put her into a pure casting build; she was 2x in spell aiming and had a high MIU skill, so that she could supplement her (then) meager mana supply by using wizard wands. She was a terror! Nothing much her own level could challenge her, so around level 30 I dropped the spell aiming and grabbed a bunch of THW and CMan ranks. I kept those until around level 50, then went back to a pure caster build. After the last fixskills, she's now back to THW. Why? Because empaths are insanely good at weapons use (spells 211, 215, 1109, 1119). She can use a THW and kill stuff even with spell 102 in effect!!! Insane AS, insane DS; what's not to like?

The bells of Hell
o ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/24/2013 02:50 PM CDT
>>Odd, you only showed clips of hunting the lower level of it. On the top floor though, the horrors had a very laughable defense. The knights had a DS of over 500 in most cases and the same with the apparitions<<

Oh bah! You are actually correct; I don't have any logs saved from upper Citadel combat! Bloody heck! Now I am annoyed!

OK, it did help greatly that all my gals are Voln masters. Not sure I could have handled the level 120 guys otherwise, but a tower full of undead was basically dogmeat. With the Voln symbol review, Supremacy rules!

Yes, the death knights were a pain if you were trying to hit them with weapons. My cleric is now a pure, as noted, so symbol of Holiness followed by 301 and then a maximum charged cast of 312 was her usual method of attack. They had pretty much nothing to say after that. My empath's spell CS was a mere 470, so she usually used symbol of Holiness, followed by 117 and a weapon strike. Wither (spell 1115) works ok vs NCU, btw, assuming you can ward them. My mage did have some problems; she usually left the death knights alone, just because their physical DS was high and she had trouble feinting them. But she did kill a couple; she has a strange spell training pattern. She is trained for maximum CS in the MnE circle, purely for using spell 415. Her MnE CS is well over 500, and she was able to hit a number of the beggers with that spell, whereupon her hunting partners finished them off.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/24/2013 10:12 PM CDT
>>whereupon her hunting partners finished them off.<<

I can't emphasize this enough, btw. Hunt with friends!

"If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying hard enough".
Re: Claid or lance? 03/26/2013 01:40 PM CDT
>Assuming thws, if you go by AS alone, empaths are in the lead, mages second, clerics last.

I like how Sorcerers are so bad they don't rank on the list. So sad.

wha-whaaaaaaa

>"Walkar says, "Yes, too many kings never work. Especially when there's only one throne. It's a wicked game."
>Shameless plug.
Re: Claid or lance? 03/26/2013 06:14 PM CDT
>Assuming thws, if you go by AS alone, empaths are in the lead, mages second, clerics last.

I like how Sorcerers are so bad they don't rank on the list. So sad.

wha-whaaaaaaa

I like how sorcerers find a reason to whine on every single board in nearly every single thread.

Your post should have read that they're so bad they aren't even worthy of being played by Throgg. Since, you know, that's where the list in this thread originated from in the first place, Throgg's characters.

Dgry
Re: Claid or lance? 03/26/2013 06:36 PM CDT
>>Your post should have read that they're so bad they aren't even worthy of being played by Throgg. Since, you know, that's where the list in this thread originated from in the first place, Throgg's characters.<<

Bah! You haven't been paying sttention! Cross post alert (from the socrerer folder)!

>>Warcerers! Yay!

OK, this has to be the stupidest character I have ever created, but what the heck ...

>>incant 702
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Mana Disruption...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at an arch wight.
CS: +105 - TD: +60 + CvA: -12 + d100: +3 == +36
Warded off!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>
An arch wight gestures at you!
The arch wight's armor prevents the spell from working.
R> incant 702
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Mana Disruption...
Your spell is ready.
CS: +105 - TD: +60 + CvA: -12 + d100: +95 == +128
Warding failed!
A very painful blow.
... 20 points of damage!
Chest spasm makes it hard for the arch wight to breathe.
R>
An arch wight runs south.
R> stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
> s
[Under Barrow, Shaft]
The ground here is partially frozen into a slippery, nasty slush. A damp chill causes moisture to run down the walls making your footing uncertain. The handholds on the wall are slick and muddy from the moisture. You also see an arch wight.
Obvious exits: north, up
> at
You swing a vultite flamberge at an arch wight!
AS: +144 vs DS: +94 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +32 = +114
... and hit for 3 points of damage!
Quick feint to the arch wight's right foot.
Little extra damage.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
An arch wight swings a falchion at you!
AS: +146 vs DS: +96 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +23 = +107
... and hits for 2 points of damage!
Near-miss!
Knuckles kissed but little damage.
R> at
AS: +144 vs DS: +72 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +95 = +199
... and hit for 23 points of damage!
Slash to the arch wight's shield arm.
Strike trims off a few fingernails.

Your vultite flamberge sprays forth a shower of pure water!

... 5 points of damage!
Splash to chest runs off before it does worse than blister the skin.
R> at
AS: +144 vs DS: +71 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +39 = +144
... and hit for 10 points of damage!
Weak slash to the arch wight's right arm.
That doesn't even sting.

Your vultite flamberge sprays forth a shower of pure water!

... 10 points of damage!
Splash to chest runs off before it does worse than blister the skin.
R>
You feel at full magical power again.
R>
An arch wight chants an evil incantation.
R> incant 702
An arch wight gestures at you!
The arch wight's armor prevents the spell from working.
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +105 - TD: +60 + CvA: -12 + d100: +94 == +127
Warding failed!
A very painful blow.
... 15 points of damage!
The arch wight doubles over with stomach cramps.
>
An arch wight runs north.
R> n
[Under Crypt, Tunnels]
These tunnels are dank and chill, your breath forms clouds of steam in front of you as you walk along. You also see an arch wight.
Obvious exits: north, east, south
> at
AS: +144 vs DS: +91 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +4 = +89
A clean miss.
R>
An arch wight swings a falchion at you!
AS: +126 vs DS: +96 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +79 = +143
... and hits for 19 points of damage!
Stomach shot lands with a hollow thump.
>
AS: +144 vs DS: +84 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +17 = +109
... and hit for 2 points of damage!
Close shave!
The arch wight takes a quick step back.
R> at
AS: +144 vs DS: +84 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +98 = +190
... and hit for 23 points of damage!
Jarring blow to the arch wight's back.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the arch wight's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The arch wight falls to the ground motionless.<<
Roundtime: 5 sec.<<

OK, A giantkin Voln Sorceress using THWs. This is wrong in so many ways. Can you say "mutant"? I knew you could!

Weapon using sorcerers really do suck though ...

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/26/2013 10:31 PM CDT
>>>
OK, A giantkin Voln Sorceress using THWs. This is wrong in so many ways. Can you say "mutant"? I knew you could!

Weapon using sorcerers really do suck though ...<<<

Say it slowly and all together now....Cleric....Folder. Please return all sorcerer sucking comments, swinging or otherwise, to the proper place.

~D
AIM: Delcian

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected." - TD

Seven stars in your cloak shine brightly, forming The Gryphon in the twinkling night sky.
Re: Claid or lance? 03/27/2013 03:32 PM CDT
>>Say it slowly and all together now....Cleric....Folder. Please return all sorcerer sucking comments, swinging or otherwise, to the proper place.<<

If you recall, the entire thread started out as a concern about weapon using clerics and what weapons might best befit them. The comparison with other "pure" professions using weapons then popped up. I see no discontinuity there in comparing professions. Of the four professions considered "pures", IMO clerics come in third, barely edging out sorcerers, when it comes to using melee weapons.

The big problem is that the clerical spell that buffs weapon AS, 307, caps at a bonus of +15 for weapons, while rising to cap at level when applied to bolt spells. For some unknown reason, the cleric GM decided to limit a cleric's facility with melee weapons, while the empath designer decided to let them go crazy with them. This despite the fact that the cleric has a much cheaper TP cost for training with the things.

This is purely considering profession specific weapon buffs; creative use of other professional spells can offset this disadvantage to some degree, and has not been considered here.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Claid or lance? 03/27/2013 03:51 PM CDT
Originally 307 gave no additional bonus beyond +15. And the reason why the new additional bonus is spell aim only in nature is because clerics are pures, if the new bonus was applied to general AS it would only encourage more clerics to use weapons which isn't the intent. The intent and purpose was to bring cleric bolt AS closer to that achieved by wizards and empaths, the same for the sorcerer's curse of the star, and this goal was accomplished. It was probably a mistake by the designers of 1130 to make it general AS and not bolt AS but that ship sailed long ago, the current design teams can only make sure they don't repeat the same mistake. So, while you may not like what they did, it was the right thing to do.
Re: Claid or lance? 03/27/2013 05:01 PM CDT
>>the reason why the new additional bonus is spell aim only in nature is because clerics are pures, if the new bonus was applied to general AS it would only encourage more clerics to use weapons which isn't the intent<<

Precisely! Yet the cheap cost of weapons training for clerics would lead you to expect the intent was the opposite.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Prev_page Previous 1