Prev_page Previous 1
RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 08:18 AM CST
In the next few days, a free FIXSKILLS will be made available to all characters to help players adjust to the many changes and enhancements that have come with RSN (primarily MOC, but also the many spell changes, maneuvers, etc.).

It is highly recommended that players try the changes with their current training regimen before using this FIXSKILLS, as it will be a one-time option for RSN.

Be sure to ask any questions you may have before using the FIXSKILLS. Answers to your questions can be on the GemStone IV Forums or by ASSISTing with a GameHost.

Please note that FIXSKILLS do not accrue. If you already have one, this will not be an extra.

Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 08:27 AM CST
I just wanted to say thank you. I still don't agree with how MoC was rolled into the gme. But this shoudl at least make adapting to the changes easier.

So thank you staff.

Marc aka Caran... ministerialis
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 08:33 AM CST
>Please note that FIXSKILLS do not accrue. If you already have one, this will not be an extra.

If I use my one from May today, will the one we get in the next few days carry forward in it's place?

Come to the House of Gnomish Goods for all your various and sundry needs. Located at the Mouth of the Solhaven Spiral!
Find our current inventory here! http://www.playershops.com/HouseofGnomishGoods
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 08:34 AM CST
<<If I use my one from May today, will the one we get in the next few days carry forward in it's place? - KRISTENL

If you use it before the other one happens, yep.

~ Kitrina
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 08:35 AM CST
Any chance you can tell us more precisely than "in the next few days"?

I've never used the one from May--for any of my 20+ characters--because there wasn't anything that I needed to change that quickly.

But if I know when this one is coming in, I can cycle everyone through and use them (before that date) to try things out, and still have that one available.

Even "over the weekend" will work for me, because I can do them all tomorrow night. <shrug>
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 08:55 AM CST
Even though I greatly disagree with the MoC, I at least would like to say thank you for implementing a fixskills at this time. I think it was most appropriate, and was very disgruntled when you replied we would not get one. Thanks again, I figure I should at least give appreciation where it is due if I am going to complain when it is due. :)

Jade's player

~Jade emits a deep throaty purr that sounds remarkably like a contented panther cub.~
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 08:57 AM CST
If you have 1 Fixskills already I'd suggest you use it unless you still feel you don't need to make any major changes. For those that have one now and will get one soon, remember the other one is coming in May. I really doubt 3 Fixskills will be necessary in the next 6-7 months.

~ Desorceri's Magic Shoppe ~
~ a grey stucco shop with a dark red shingle roof ~
~ Fear Alley cul-de-sac ~ Icemule Trace ~
~ http://www.playershops.com/Desorceri ~

Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 09:01 AM CST
I would also like to post my thank you to staff for this.

Though I totally disagree with the MOC-related FoF changes, and know that TP-wise I just don't have the points to spend to get 10 ranks of MOC for my pures, it still is much appreciated that staff responded in a positive way regarding players' concerns.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 09:16 AM CST
I havent read the Sorcerer folder yet ..
But anyway, I have been saving my May one to see if I like Animate Dead. Do I use this one now to accomadate FoF ... which I've had no time to assess and use the new one for AD whenever that comes out? Or do I wait for AD and do both at once ... or do use this one when I've had time to decide if I want to train in MOC, and use next May's for AD. or is something else going to come out before then?

You see my dilemna ... oh and is Nilven going to be allowed to enhance demons - in particular to let them guard me in combat .. then I won't want to FIXSKILLS for AD at all ... it goes on.

Sea Witch

"The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace." Kate Chopin
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 09:22 AM CST
"If you have 1 Fixskills already I'd suggest you use it unless you still feel you don't need to make any major changes." -- SDEMask

I agree.

I'm trying to find out, though, whether I need to try and scramble in-game tonight and "beat the clock", or if I can do it more sedately tomorrow evening (when I don't have three and a half hours of Boy Scout meetings chewing up my time), for example.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 10:13 AM CST
Thanks alot Kitrina for passing this request on and for senior staff for making it so. :) The changes to combat with Force on Force will effect three of my five active characters so I do need to use this Fixskills. :) The other two are fine the way they are.

Jim
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 10:15 AM CST
<<I'm trying to find out, though, whether I need to try and scramble...

It would be in your best interest to scramble as it could happen at any time. I gave the "in the next few days" because I don't know when EXACTLY.

~ Kitrina
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 10:23 AM CST
How exactly do you use the "fixskills" and will it work with cman points as well as tp's?

Thanks
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 10:29 AM CST
Cmans and skills are different systems.

But this is how to do it...

Pilfered from news 2 41...

Step 1: Type GOALS in the command prompt to open the Skill Manager (If you are unable to use the Skill Manager, CHECK IN to the local inn and complete this process via the Character Manager).

Step 2: Adjust your skill ranks in the Skill Manager as you see fit. Click the APPLY button and go back to the game screen.

Step 3: Once you have determined that your skills are set up exactly how you want them, type FIXSKILLS in the command prompt.

Step 4: The system will prompt you to confirm your decision in the next 30 seconds by typing FIXSKILLS CONFIRM in the command prompt.

Following this process will instantly migrate all skills. Attempting to use FIXSKILLS again will prompt a message explaining that your one-time migration has already been used.

Please be aware that opportunities to use FIXSKILLS do NOT stack. If you fail to utilize the opportunity before the next opportunity arises, then you will lose it. If you have any questions on this process, please ASSIST with a GameHost before using this migration.

~Khal

All your cookies are belong to us.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 10:42 AM CST
I've looked at what I'd need to change to get 15 ranks in MOC. I'd lose:
9 ranks in shield use
17 ranks in magical item use
17 ranks in Spell Aiming
1 Minor Spirit spell
5 ranks of Spiritul Lore - Religion
10 ranks of swimming.

Now for a level 15 cleric to lose all his MIU and Spell Aiming is pretty much enough to render me useless in battle. All I've got left to cast is smite/bane. My runestaff is pretty useless since I'm now FAR below the needed 8 magical ranks per level. My shield use drops (yes, I use a shield and a runestaff. I get hit easily enough as it is). Swimming I'm not worried about. I've only used it once on a Voln step and just had it trained because I had no where else to put the extra PTPs.

However, if I don't change anything and stick with what I have, if I get knocked to offensive something 10 levels below me can get a good blow in. Take away dodge/parry/block, I'm just going to get slaughtered. Either way I will no longer be able to hunt. Any kills I happen to get in will all be wasted experience when I get killed so why even try? Just getting to the hunting area I get swung at numerous times so I'd enter the foray already so weak that something my level could probably kill me.

How are we expected to gain any experience if we can't hunt? I'm too low of a level to raise people (though I'm sure a lot of clerics who can will be MUCH more busy now).

I guess my biggest problem with all this is the cost of MOC ranks. At 15/8 that's a lot to ask of a pure.

So the fixskills doesn't really matter. And it's not a workable solution. Scrap this idea. Can't you see by the number of posts that most people don't want this? Then again I'm starting to think what your customer base wants means nothing to you as long as they pay.

My billing cycle starts on the 10th. That's 3 days I'll try it before canceling. If I'm unable to hunt, I will not continue paying/playing.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 10:57 AM CST
I don't know, I am probably wrong but I really do not think many folks will use the fixskills to fix thier MOC. They will probably use it to fix a bunch of other stuff but I can't see those that do not train in MOC now suddenly giving up a bunch of other skills to get it. It just takes too many ranks of MOC to be effective. I know that I refuse to neturalize Clintmire anymore. I have him where he can hunt fairly effective (although not the greatest) and pick above average. To get the MOC I would have to give up too much to get it. If this turns out that I can no longer hunt without MOC then I would sooner just shelve him rather than destroy anymore of his training.

I do not think it will be that way. I think it will be a bit more dangerous to him to hunt without MOC but I think he can survive.

Isle Goatherder.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 11:20 AM CST
In order for this to be effective across the board, the MOC costs need to drop for most professions. To acquire enough ranks to even negate one extra attacker can be detrimental to many professions. The fixskills alone isn't going to fix the problems many people are seeing.

As it is, you have to struggle to excel in one particular area with most professions. Even getting 15 ranks across 50 levels will lower many characters' ability to be exceedingly good at one thing and allow moderate skill in another couple. We're adventurers, we're supposed to be beyond the norm. I'm not asking for anything to be made free, but I am asking that the MOC costs get revisted, or the rank requirements for this half-assed system get re-examined.

Is it too much to ask that Warden acknowledge his ability to make mistakes once in awhile? This system is a mistake in the eyes of just about anyone (posters on the boards, anyways) except the staff. The system is poorly implemented, despite the idea being a sound one. If the system has to be left wholly intact as it stands now, then at least allow all professions the ability to work with that system. One rank of MOC for some professions (I can comment only on the ones I've played) approach ONE-THIRD of the alloted training points for one level. And this for ONE RANK in a skill that has one practical application for many professions? Come on. The expectation that we "deal with it" is a very curious and very poor choice for Warden to lay upon his customers.

While I agree with the system in principle, the actual implementation is very poorly thought out. Telling people they must fight together or die is wrong. If you're going to do that, you should be posing options to people beyond "hunt together" or to use non-friendly spells such as open implode, meteor swarm, major wave, etc. That sort of choice is no choice at all to the scores of people who enjoy hunting alone.

Throw into the mix that we are now subject to harm from creatures previously only pests...and still keep us from being able to learn from them, and you're still not giving us what we need to work with, fixskills or none.

Daeveran's Chairperson

Learn to cope with disappointment. Become a sorcerer.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 11:48 AM CST
>>I don't know, I am probably wrong but I really do not think many folks will use the fixskills to fix thier MOC. They will probably use it to fix a bunch of other stuff but I can't see those that do not train in MOC now suddenly giving up a bunch of other skills to get it.

If I have mine left from May, I'll be using this option to finish the migration of Lavastene's lores so that he can start using Hand of Tonis as a bolt spell.

- Matt

The Item Database is here at http://www.lavastene.com
The Zombie FE project is here at http://www.lavastene.com/zombie/
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 12:05 PM CST
>How exactly do you use the "fixskills" and will it work with cman points as well as tp's?

It will work with your CMAN points (it simply moves any unlearning points you might have into your available point pool).

Coase
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 12:25 PM CST
Kitrina,

Could you at least find out if this fixskills will be held until after the 7th?

Since only characters 50+ are currently experiencing this system and until the 7th the general population sees none of it.. kind of hard to dictate if current training paths are workable.

For those who have no fixskills left from this year... I would see it prudent to give at least a 1 week period after the 7th to give everyone a chance to see how much they need to adjust thier current training regime to maintain survivablity.

No, I wont hold you to an exact date.. just asking if there will be a small grace period offered to people who may wish use one fixskill to see if adding MOC actually helps them, and if not use thier May one to go back to how they wish thier character wish nd not this new forced training put upon them.

Thanks,
Xatier
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 12:58 PM CST
Or, conversely, they could just markedly speed up the migration time for a couple weeks while people get adjusted to the new mechanics in place, since that was touted as a positive part of the migration system... that it could be set to shorter times when there was a new system put in that affected a lot of people.

- Jen et Avidleigh et al.

--
i remember the nights
and i remember pain
like the sound of your voice, alone
these memories and more remain
- fate*'*s warning, a pleasant shade of grey
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 01:08 PM CST
>Now for a level 15 cleric to lose all his MIU and Spell Aiming is pretty much enough to render me useless in battle. All I've got left to cast is smite/bane. My runestaff is pretty useless since I'm now FAR below the needed 8 magical ranks per level. My shield use drops (yes, I use a shield and a runestaff. I get hit easily enough as it is). Swimming I'm not worried about. I've only used it once on a Voln step and just had it trained because I had no where else to put the extra PTPs.

My cleric has 30 ranks of MoC, no spell AIM, very little MIU.

1x in weapon, and CM.

Nutjob, mutant, you decide.

Heh.

(at level 70), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 93 21
Shield Use.........................| 132 36
Combat Maneuvers...................| 172 72
Edged Weapons......................| 172 72
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 136 38
Arcane Symbols.....................| 90 20
Magic Item Use.....................| 120 30
Harness Power......................| 197 97
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 120 30
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 170 70
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 45 9
Perception.........................| 90 20
Climbing...........................| 93 21
Swimming...........................| 78 17
First Aid..........................| 171 71

Spell Lists
Major Spirit.......................| 31

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 40

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 69
Training Points: 49 Phy 0 Mnt (398 Phy converted to Mnt)

~Khaladon

All your cookies are belong to us.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 01:15 PM CST
Nutjob, Khaladon...

Well, you did ask...
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 01:27 PM CST
>Nutjob, mutant, you decide.

This IS Khal....would any of his PC's NOT be nutjobs...? :P

Heck, even his merchants are nuts...Giggler obsessed with his small orbs, anyone...?

cackle

Weedie

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies, cannot stand."
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 01:35 PM CST
>Nutjob, mutant, you decide.

~Khaladon

I vote with the squirrels on this on :)

You had the ability to re-allocate to get these skills and you had the benefit of the generally lower skill costs unique to the cleric profession. While I'll agree that it is possible to play the mutant nutjob, the question remains, "at what cost?". Below is a copy of a post I made from the GSIV Combat Changes Folder. Maybe you will at least acknowledge there is a problem with the MoC costs for some of the professions.

Best regards,
Mark

The table shows the converted costs by profession for 15 and 35 ranks of MoC. Use either Column A OR Column B to determine costs for your character(s). An empath, sorcerer or wizard's cost to off-set the effects of 2 additional attackers (35 ranks MoC) is 1400 Mental TP's.

For a level 100 empath, sorcerer or wizard, who double trains spells, this is equivalent to 87 spell ranks at the double training cost(16 MTP's per spell rank). IMO these MoC costs are way out of line and even an unlimited number of Fixskills will not fix this.

My solution would be to remove MoC (yes that's right.. remove it) from having any DS effect against multiple attackers and reduce the DS pushdown percentages to something more reasonable. Instead of attackers pushing down DS in 25% increments I would recommend changing it to 15%. My preference of course would be to scrap this system entirely but I get the feeling this ain't gonna happen.

Note: These costs are based on the single training skill costs of MoC.

1 Attacker2 Attackers
ProfessionA(PTP's)B(MTP's)A(PTP's)B(MTP's)
Bard195255455595
Cleric46557010851330
Empath52560012251400
Palidan210180490420
Ranger270360630840
Rogue240345560805
Sorcerer52560012251400
Warrior150165350385
Wizard52560012251400

Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 02:00 PM CST
Good decision on the fixskills.

-Mike/Galesmight AIM: Galesmight
Long live the guilds.
-if life's not beautiful without the pain well i'd just rather never ever even see beauty again well as life gets longer awful feels softer and it feels pretty soft to me--
-Modest Mouse
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 02:05 PM CST
<<Since only characters 50+ are currently experiencing this system and until the 7th the general population sees none of it.. kind of hard to dictate if current training paths are workable. - Xatier

For those that have yet to try the system, it would be wise not to use the FIXSKILLS until after the 7th, when you can try it.

There is no "going back" FIXSKILLS. Try the system before you decide change your training path.

I personally don't plan on picking up any MoC ranks because of this change. I have found it doesn't really affect me. I might use it to change some CMAN skills, though. :)

~ Kitrina
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 03:40 PM CST
can you add a +/- 10 ranks button on this goals page???? this is a HELL OF A LOT of clicking...
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 05:14 PM CST
<<can you add a +/- 10 ranks button on this goals page???? this is a HELL OF A LOT of clicking...

go to an inn and check in to redo your stats

its like (skill)# + (ranks)# or -

can do all of them in one line.

and i agree with the clicking though, my boss looked over at me with a puzzling look cus of all my clicking, and i looked at him and said fixskills for 6 characters, leave me alone. he left me alone
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 07:14 PM CST
In the next few days, a free FIXSKILLS will be made available to all characters to help players adjust to the many changes and enhancements that have come with RSN (primarily MOC, but also the many spell changes, maneuvers, etc.).

I dont suppose this means that our CMAN skills that are currently unlearning, will be unlearned with the fixskills?
Or could we possibly get a fixskills type thing for CMANs as well. I know i plan on using this fixskills to change my weapon type, and Im not sure if my weapon Specialization will swap from blunts to 2handed. Or if i will have to untrain all my wpspec cman points and relearn it again for the diff weapon type. If so, then that means ive got what, about 2 months or somthing of unlearning wait time for CMAN points.

Any idea on this?
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 07:27 PM CST
Coase has confirmed that the fixskills will also fix your cmans.

So if you unlearn all your unwanted cmans before the fixskills (putting say 60 points into the unlearning pool), the fixskills command will change those points from "unlearning" to "available".

Dave
>bash trunk
You're going to punch a scratched gold trunk barehanded? Tsk. You MUST be a warrior.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 07:54 PM CST
>can you add a +/- 10 ranks button on this goals page???? this is a HELL OF A LOT of clicking...

Use the text based character manager to do big changes. It's much, much faster. In addition, you can use the script generator from my spreadsheet to automate that. But automation isn't necessary; it's easy enough to do the big changes by hand.

--Tsoran
Koldeen's shop (Cool Stuff!) http://www.playershops.com/Koldeen
Erindril's shop (Enchanted gear) http://www.playershops.com/Erindril
http://www.tsoran.com/
tsoran@tsoran.com
AIM: GSTsoran
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 10:06 PM CST
Do we know when this fixskills will expire?

Sorry if this is a re-post...
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/02/2004 10:26 PM CST
>>Do we know when this fixskills will expire?<<

A fixskills stays until you use it. You can only have one at a time, so if you use it, you can't do another until they issue another. You get one each May.

If you have one, you want to use it before Simu issues this one.

Gary
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS 12/03/2004 06:13 AM CST
<Heck, even his merchants are nuts...Giggler obsessed with his small orbs, anyone...?>

Heh, I liked the orbs too! I bought 4 secondhand and still have three of them. I haven't used them at all, but I plan to one day....

Vrannar,

Officer of the Golden Hawks.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS-the issue of MoC training across the board 12/03/2004 10:28 PM CST
I really hope no one is feeling all happy-giggly since they gave us this fixskills. For pures it's(Moc) a waste of poits. All professions already have extremely limited options, and to have another skill that we are all "expected" to train is simply going to make this game about as not fun as it can get. I'm getting tired of constantly being told "you must train in this skill so you won't die" or "you need this skill so you can hunt effectively now." After the transition to GS4 each profession was basically given certain skills it needed to survive in the game. "In order to do X effectively now, you need to at least train .5x/1x/2x."

This fixskills basically implies that we are all now expected to either train in MoC or group hunt eternally.

As the player of a sorcerer, I don't want to be forced into training in MoC. Nor do I want to spend the rest of my time group hunting.

I'm completely against the new FoF system. We're already forced to be very limited our training. Death already counts for enough, and for most professions, every hunting ground already provides sufficient ways to kill them all. I really don't know what more GMs expect. Hunting grounds scattered with maneuvers, lowered DS from GS4, death's sting and now this. When's it going to end?

Player of Balthon
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS-the issue of MoC training across the board 12/03/2004 10:32 PM CST
i'm a pure

i dont train in moc

i never will

i got bombarded by 3 muscular supplicants, 1 dogamatist, and a hierophant. guess what? they all died, while i fried

its really not an issue if you know how to hunt well. all i have to say about it
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS-the issue of MoC training across the board 12/03/2004 11:29 PM CST
<<its really not an issue if you know how to hunt well. all i have to say about it

You don't have the option to hunt well when you walk into a room and die. I've seen numerous posts showing that happening.

Player of Balthon
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS-the issue of MoC training across the board 12/04/2004 12:15 AM CST
No, but you have the option to peer into the room you're about to enter to see if its swarmed, and not go in there. Its not like you have no option but walk brazenly into a room with five creatures that are going to beat you into a pulp.
Re: RSN: FIXSKILLS-the issue of MoC training across the board 12/04/2004 01:00 AM CST
<<No, but you have the option to peer into the room you're about to enter to see if its swarmed, and not go in there. Its not like you have no option but walk brazenly into a room with five creatures that are going to beat you into a pulp.

Wonderful...add more needless tasks to the game...now we have to peer into every room into which we move just to make sure we don't die. I'm loving this game more and more every day.

Seriously...this game ain't real life. It's supposed to be fun, not tedious.

Player of Balthon
Prev_page Previous 1