Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 05:50 PM CDT
>>That's what makes this so disappointing. This was a golden opportunity to make the spell usable and instead they made it worse.

Let's get the formula from before and provide some meaningful feedback if you don't mind. I agree with you, but I want to know how much before I start suggesting changes. And making the statement without a reasonable suggestion is. . . well, you know.

>>Acting like the mana difference matters *at all* is a specious argument at best.

Some other time we'll cover why 910 hits so much harder than 906, and why it costs 18 mana (presently) to send out 2 or more bolts of 910 downrange.

But hopefully not here, maybe the wizard design topic for 925 and comparative disputation? - and if you can't see that mana as an indicator of the power the spell produces is viable, then I am not sure how best to draw the corollary for you.

As a final point, though -- the concept that 'the ills of yesteryear hold us back today' is thoroughly disputed by the following statement:

When 925 was introduced to the game in its initial release, it was just as some wizards were attaining or approaching level 25. Each wizard was good at one specific enchant type, and terrible at the rest.

Contrast to today, where not only is Enchant not the absolute pinnacle spell (highest level / most mana - take your pick), it has none of the limitations with which it was launched. Limitations, I might add, imposed by our Rolemaster background.

Robert has more - but not here, let's move this to the wizard discussion.

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 06:13 PM CDT

If i max out on water lore and focus mana in the city of solhaven, can i sink it?

Too soon?
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 06:27 PM CDT

In all seriousness,

I'm not really a big fan of this. It really seems like a great change on paper, but honestly. i got enough goals post-cap to keep me occupied for the next 8 or 9 months.

Honestly, the TP costs for lores don't even make this worthwhile to even explore on any of my characters. especially when you double in them.(0/12!)

I can't even do the methais 519 of doom right now because my fire lore training isn't where it should be. because i use bolts. and i single in harness power.

Honestly, though. with the careful way i've culitivated how my character is in-game. There is no way on earth that my firestarting wizard is ever going to research water lore. Air and earth lore is a bit of a stretch.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 06:43 PM CDT
I think part of the problem is that once you are multi-capped and have a toybox full of stuff then you become bored and thus harder to please. I have been using 418 a lot today without the water lore perks (EMC 76) so 38%, )ME 70) so 17%, (Aura Bonus 30) so 30%. Thats 85% at level 70, its enough to make the spell useful. I cast about 6 times and had 1 failure that zapped mana.

I think some of the answer can lay in other game systems. Like critters, Fire Spells should have laughable to no effect on fire creatures, but water should hit HARD! Likewise fire magic should have drastic effect on fire creatures. Air spells work better on earth and earth spells on air creatures.

Just increase the DF against the opposing creatures so the DF is noticeable, while decreasing against the same elements.

It has been brought up many times to roll the bolts into one and stated many times they will not be doing that because it opens too many spell slots.

I guess they also need to develop a really really hard area for the double and triple capped folks with compelling reasons to hunt there. Like double capped gets no experience from creatures under 105 or something. Make it so nasty people won't want to plink away with 901, but want it dead ASAP with harder hitting spells.

Just an elf about town...
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 07:00 PM CDT
> DAMNIT- WHY DIDN'T WE ASK FOR ZERO?

>Right?! That'll teach ya! ~ Konacon

Well, I suggested it should be 1% before Krakii said he was okay with 3 so we have him to blame for losing out on 1%. :-)~
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 07:16 PM CDT
>><<This is the Elemental Lore Review, not the Elemental Spell Review. We are revising the base functionality of a few spells, but ultimately, that is not our goal.

GameMaster Estild>>

Ah, clarity ensues. Translation: "We are going to nerf some wizard spells, and are throwing out this ELR as a smoke and mirrors type distraction. Wizard spells that are never cast due to being useless will remain so." Got it.

The Bells of Hell
go ding-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 07:32 PM CDT
> "Wizard spells that are never cast due to being useless will remain so."

I can assure you that 418 is quite far from 'never cast'.

There are spells that are cast so rarely that they could safely be called a spell that is never cast. 418 is not one of them.

~ Konacon
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 07:33 PM CDT
>>Got it.

This did not do you the service you believe it did, Throgg. And if you believe it did, then I'll have to say no, you didn't get it.

I use a rule (that I often fail to employ, so pot and kettle is all fair here). No less than 24 hours between acerbic posts on the same concept. I thought it might keep people from getting tired of me.

Well. . . it did. But other things might not have. :) YMMMV.

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 07:38 PM CDT
<<Ah, clarity ensues. Translation: "We are going to nerf some wizard spells, and are throwing out this ELR as a smoke and mirrors type distraction. Wizard spells that are never cast due to being useless will remain so." Got it.
>>

Muhuwahahaha! :::insert maniacal laughing:::

[monologuing]
Now I will steal all your tarts and feed them to kobolds to make even bigger uglier fatter ones! your days are numbered Wehnimers!

I will rain down a horde of gremlins on your petty little burg and laugh as they steal all your gems and ruin your economy!

I will unleash an army of grimswarm in the middle of your town square and let you feel like to have your home razed!

Fear me for I will ruin your fine town and steal away all your wonderful magic except your power to complain about it!
[/monologuing]

People keep saying they are nerfing all the mega-wizard spells, but to my knowledge there is no current knowledge on just what changes are happening to those spells...so its all just rampant speculation. Shouldn't we at least wait to see what exactly is being done before we get out the nerf bats and whiffle balls?

Lord knows I understand the angst people feel when they feel they are being made less powerful but can it at least wait until after they make the announcement of the change. For all you know the nerf to haste may be that if you cast during the cool down it costs twice as much mana. Without knowing what they are doing its a waste of time complaining about what might happen.

For a spell like 418 if the chance of success has drastically dropped, that is a cause for complaining...but constantly crying about the big wizard nerf war before they even get to the wizard spells is counter productive.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:01 PM CDT
I don't think she was talking about 418.

More like: 502, 512, 514, 525, 914, 915, 917.

All of those spells are barely worth casting. Adding a 1-lore tie-in for an insignificant benefit isn't going to make them any better.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:05 PM CDT
>Not all spells necessarily need to be relevant to hunting, but my problem with 418 specifically is that I have difficulty finding use for the spell at all and this update made it even worse, perhaps not for me, but for lower level characters certainly. (Tav)

I did a quick glance over my 3 spell lists and there are 17 spells that I would mark as not particularly useful to me and I was being generous. Five of the MnE spells are for opening boxes and I use Phase (704) and Call Lightning (125) when I do that. So, yeah, I wish things were otherwise but it's not just about my character and style of play. Addressing whatever problems there are with those 17 unnamed spells would probably not make my top 10 list of Gemstone development though.

So, you make a good point but I am not too riled up. Gemstone spell lists are designed so you have to learn one to get to the next. I am not surprised that 1/4 of the package is not especially relevant to my sorcerer.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:07 PM CDT
Actually, Doug, I've posted Whilder's "Complete History of Enchanting" on Krakiipedia before; virtually positive that it made it over to GSwiki.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/26/2015 08:10 PM CDT
Hey, be fair!

I suggested 3%, and then tie in a Lore element to reduce even that.

And do the same for Enchant (though maybe with a different Lore).
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:12 PM CDT
Why so it did! For anyone interested, a bit of history. . .

>>https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Enchant_spell_history_(saved_post)

Wiki Wizard,

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:37 PM CDT
Thanks for sharing the link, I learned a bit from that and I was Lose....

Odds was a very nice fella BTW and well deserved to be first with the spell.

Keep in mind this was back in the hourly days.

Dagmar was very competitive and wanted to get the spell first, but made bad presumptions regarding how the spell training worked. Player re-rolled into Dartaghan...

Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 08:48 PM CDT
>>Let's get the formula from before and provide some meaningful feedback if you don't mind. I agree with you, but I want to know how much before I start suggesting changes. And making the statement without a reasonable suggestion is. . . well, you know.

It was more-or-less like familiar gate in my experience. Around level 50-60, you can expect to cast the spell successfully. Under the current implementation, an optimistic scenario under the same conditions would be something like: "418: Harm Self - This spell grants the caster a 30-50% chance to incur wounds."

The list of skill dependencies for success are sensibly selected but what is the game balance reason?

>>I can assure you that 418 is quite far from 'never cast'.

I recognize that I don't speak for everyone but if all workshops were nodes, 418 would be a "never cast" for me personally. I see that people are saying that they use it in hunting areas but it strikes me as going out of your way to be inefficient so that you can specifically use 418. In my personal use case, if I pause my imbedding to swap a bounty, I re-cast it upon return. Maybe I'm doing so redundantly. I'm not sure. Is it reasonable to consider this multiple uses for the sake of a popularity metric? I don't think so, but perhaps this has no statistically significant impact either way.

The water lore makes it interesting but the success rate formula totally preempts it.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 09:03 PM CDT
>>Under the current implementation, an optimistic scenario under the same conditions would be something like: "418: Harm Self - This spell grants the caster a 30-50% chance to incur wounds."

ROFL! Ok, that was funny right there.

Sad, maybe. But still funny!

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/26/2015 09:18 PM CDT

Is this spell overpowered if given no chance at failure? Or just the 3% base?
I certainly don't think so, but maybe there's some weird use case I'm not aware of.

Nodes are pretty commonly available and have increased experience gain to boot.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/27/2015 01:03 AM CDT
>>More like: 502, 512, 514, 525, 914, 915, 917.<<

Bingo! And there are others. I think I have actually cast 418 a couple of times, way back, so I can't say never cast on that one. OH, and I used sandstorm a couple of times when I first learned it. Such power! Meteors? Umm, I have been tempted to nuke TSC a couple of times; it's quite useful for killing people. Critters, not so much so.

>>All of those spells are barely worth casting. Adding a 1-lore tie-in for an insignificant benefit isn't going to make them any better.<<

Preach it!

::This space for rent::
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/27/2015 06:56 AM CDT
I'm still not sure what the right answer is - but it might be worth making the spell have a flat 75% success rate, no matter profession or level, and between 0-3%, it has a range of 'hurt me' options, and between 4 and 25%, it simply fails with the message (nothing to anchor to).

I like that the spell was changed to have a sense that 'wizards should have an easier time of this', but I don't know if the intent was 'and no other profession besides maybe sorcerer should even really have a shot'.

If it was, though, can we revisit? Part of the fun of the game is doing the 'odd' thing most others don't consider.

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/27/2015 10:39 AM CDT
Why should this spell even have a failure rate?
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/27/2015 12:04 PM CDT
Cuz' it's what we gotta do!

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/27/2015 12:11 PM CDT

>I like the general idea of this update, but I too think the 5% fail rate is a bit high. Level has already been removed as a success factor, and the benefit was set to the most expensive summation seed, which in my mind is a bit harsh.

>I doubt any of the above will change, but it would be nice to have the base percent chance to fail reduced to 1%.

The base failure rate is not 5%, you're wrong about that.

Its 5% + 1% for fumbles and + variable armor hindrance.

You're not wrong when you identify it as too high.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/27/2015 12:23 PM CDT

>As to your criticism of my training which was phrased in the form of a question: I'm 1x total in mana control with my level 80 sorcerer, 0.5x EMC, 0.5x SMC. If I were 1x EMC (is that typical enough for you?), my success rate would be 66%. I'd still say it's terrible. If I was 2x EMC (to whom is this typical as a sorcerer?), the success rates would be in line with what I was accustomed to previously.

any runestaff user should be 1x in their mana control(s), 2x is quite common, even precap.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/27/2015 12:39 PM CDT
My Mage & Cleric, in the high-40s, already have fifty (50) ranks of their-Realm Mana Control.

They also have ten (10) ranks of <the other Realm, ignoring Mental for now>.
It is an early-stage (pre-20th) for all of my spellcasters to have at least ten (10) ranks of their-Relm Mana Control.
Fifteen ranks/70 skill is pretty much ideal.

This means that with 50 skill on one side, and 150 skill on the other, 75% of mana goes through (less the lossy couple of points). With 15 ranks/70 skill, it turns into a "lossy-only" transaction; 70 * 150 == 105%, so everything goes through (less the lossy couple of points).

This is not terribly onerous.

My Bard has 30 ranks of Mental, and 20 ranks of Elemental. Just made 47th.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/27/2015 01:02 PM CDT
The base failure rate is not 5%, you're wrong about that.
Its 5% + 1% for fumbles and + variable armor hindrance.
-ASPEN

I personally don't consider the armor hindrances as base. That aside, the base was 5% and shortly afterwards that was lowered to 3%. It is safe to call that the fumble rate as there is no additional 1% failure.

~GameMaster Draxun
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/27/2015 01:12 PM CDT

Clearly GMs are reading this, no explanation on why this needs such a high failure rate?

You know you're sending this spell off for burial, right?
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/27/2015 01:17 PM CDT
>> Clearly GMs are reading this, no explanation on why this needs such a high failure rate?

>> You know you're sending this spell off for burial, right?

I didn't catch the high failure rate initially and don't really get the thought behind it. Quite honestly it was at the lower levels that I found this spell the most useful. Now I use it more to help out others.

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/27/2015 01:25 PM CDT

If removing the failure altogether isn't an option (and I still think it should be) can we at least make it so the damn flares aren't fatal? Hits arms/legs only or crit 1 only, or stuns, or just mana failures or something?

Dying in the middle of nowhere from your own spell is incredibly annoying and acts as a strong disincentive to casting it in the first place. Basically you only cast it when you really need to, which for this spell, would be never. The benefits are never really justifying the risk (for people under 80, anyway).
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/27/2015 01:31 PM CDT
I've never noticed failures in casting this spell being overly fatal personally which is why I posted the question about what factors went into determining how bad of a failure it is. Maybe people in robes are dying and my armor is sufficient to stop the worst of it? I don't know but am curious.

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! Minium failure rate? 08/27/2015 01:39 PM CDT
<<<I've never noticed failures in casting this spell being overly fatal personally which is why I posted the question about what factors went into determining how bad of a failure it is. Maybe people in robes are dying and my armor is sufficient to stop the worst of it? I don't know but am curious.>>>

It's been a long time since I died from casting it. But I don't think it's impossible to die on a bad failure, unless that got quietly changed at some point. In any event, I've gotten rank 2 nerve damage, which is enough to end a hunt. Not worth the risk.

~ GtG
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/27/2015 07:10 PM CDT
>>My Mage & Cleric, in the high-40s, already have fifty (50) ranks of their-Realm Mana Control.

Optimistic 418 success rate with your wizard:
50/4 + 50/2 + 25 = 62.5%

>>My Bard has 30 ranks of Mental, and 20 ranks of Elemental. Just made 47th.

Optimistic 418 success rate with your bard:
47/4 + 20/2 + 25 = 46.75%

A more likely estimate would be around 35% success rate.

Enjoy the new 418, Krakii.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/27/2015 08:24 PM CDT
Earth node should be aligned to earth lore, not water lore, despite the new paradigm. If you really want to keep water lore, the cast message should somehow imply a mist or something similar.

The new formula should be weighted differently. I agree with the basic design intent to restrict practical use to older wizards and sorcerers, but elemental mana control is weighted too high relative to MnE ranks.

I suggest this alternative: Percentage success = (MnE ranks / 2) + (MjE ranks / 4) + (Elemental Mana Control ranks / 4) + (bonus from elemental lore EARTH seed 1) + initial racial modifier to Aura bonus.

Most capped sorcerers only carry 73/74/75 MnE to max CS. They have 0 MjE. They cap at 202 elemental control ranks. 55 ranks of elemental earth lore (+10 seed bonus)is practical to get the table 2 crit from 719 (need 50). Humans get +0 to initial aura bonus. This would leave me with 79% chance of success unless I chose to migrate out of sorcerer ranks or up my earth lore ranks. Leaving the formula as now described allows me to get 100% just from having 202 ranks of elemental control.

I understand the disappointment of bards and rogues with a lot less training in ancillary magic until uber-capped. This spell was never safe to be cast when young due to the chance of catastrophic failure in the field.

The chosen upgrade of more mana for a short time is ok, but I would have preferred to be able to discern how much time is left on an existing node by casting 418. It would also be neat if other characters could cast 418 within 30 seconds of the first casting, to strengthen the node longer or make it more powerful.

Tarakan
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/28/2015 08:32 AM CDT
>>Earth node should be aligned to earth lore

Why? This is a vestige of the more properly named "Earthblood" lore from Loremaster. It has to do with mana floes, not dirt.

Doug
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/28/2015 09:48 AM CDT
"Enjoy the new 418, Krakii." -- EastmanM3

Never used it before, see no reason to start using it now.

I said that I had seen people using it, and in what circumstances. When there were people camping at the bottom of the ramp in Miners, I was the one running the full length of the tunnel; usually I would pass them and we would compare counts, and I had seen/killed (solo) nearly as many as they had seen/killed (the whole batch of 'em). And my treasure didn't need to be split.

No, I was making the point about trainings in Mana Control. :)
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/28/2015 08:12 PM CDT

418 is pretty close though.

What with the risk of ....dying and all.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/28/2015 09:35 PM CDT

level 70 mage singled in EMC 24 air lore 4 failures since the change went in, use 15 or so times, no deaths, worst case was 2 minor wounds and a 5 round stun. Another 2 times 1 minor wound.

No one likes dying, but really if you never die the game is boring. The most excitement is when you barely mange to live sometimes threw an incredible series of bad choices, mishaps, and critter getting lucky. Getting insta ganked by an CM attack can grow old, but getting your arse handed to you by critters despite what you do because their AI does all the right things, thats a real hoot!

Common have you never felt like maybe the GMs gave you special critter attention? Have you never felt like you got comboed down because the AI has decided you havent died recently and are getting whats coming to you? I know that both these are untrue, but when things don't go so well the thought can cross your mind. THATS some fun stuff right there!

The spell is not that deadly and if you want the mana take a chance, your an adventurer not a stay on the turnip farm for safety type right?

While I'm at it, if your uber trained and uber geared and bored, start to self-handicap. Hunt out there without outside spells, without the toys, train off some of the abilities.

I'm using 4X gear and managing to advance, I do hunt without outside spells or less outside spells sometimes. I enjoy my 74 ranks in trade and the few extra silvers that saves and earns. That 6 ranks of SMC lets me send some mana when I do ask for spells and I think the caster could use the mana.

Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/28/2015 09:48 PM CDT

Easier to say at level 70. Tell that to the new level 18 wizard who blows himself up, not realizing some of his spells are built to be terrible until he grinds for another year or two.

I don't mind interesting failure, but Rank 3 throat crit for the arrogance of thinking I could use a spell 30 levels below me.. nah, I'm good without that.
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/28/2015 10:10 PM CDT
Yeah, sorry, talking about the excitement of a narrow escape is in no way similar to blowing yourself up with 418. That's not exciting. It's annoying and is an unnecessary restriction on a spell which has such low utility to begin with.

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - Mana Focus (418) Updated! 08/30/2015 12:55 AM CDT
You are wrong, learning that a powerful spell at low levels can hurt ya or even kill can be quite fun! It only grows wearisome for those too stupid to learn that it takes more skill to be good at it so don't try and cast it 10 times in an hour.

as time goes by you are better and better like getting the belt after the white in Karate.

Some of you folks slay me, you don't want the spells to get easier as your power grows you want instant gratification. Then you one trick pony so much and gain so much more ability, and are bored because you refuse to break out of that 1 trick pony style.

I'm glad they are forcing it that you can 515, 901 all the critters down to be gone. I find that way boring too. I want to react to what happens so I'm not so bored. I dislike the 1 sec cast time, BUT the auto prep removal is more than a makeup for that.

Immolate Immolate rinse and repeat, so boring... Now you can mix in some other nifty fire spells both CS, and AS.

Haste was being exploited, it was never meant to be up 100%, much less for a whole hunting party

Poor people can't survive and die sometimes, most of you are so min maxed and over trained and so geared you don't die often enough. Your boredom is your own fault.

You have an incomplete data set because you don't know all of the release and you nitpick every release and once you have that accomplished you resume your poor lil' you whine about the spell nerf thats near and dear to your heart.

You quote wow, which is always buffing/nerfing like its sliced bread and yet you can't wait and see after all the releases that are buffs are in place? I think Estild stated the nerfs were last....