Prev_page Previous 1 3
HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 09:27 AM CDT
Locklore (403) has been updated to decrease potential damage to your pick on a failed picking attempt based on a seed 10 summation of the caster's Elemental Lore: Water ranks. Each bonus from the seed summation will remove a point of damage that would have been applied to your pick if you ended up damaging it. This can completely remove any potential damage, but it won't fix previous damage.

Ixix
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 09:34 AM CDT
I'm a mage and don't pick, but I KNOW the locksmiths will love this!

Just an elf about town...
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 09:57 AM CDT

I can imagine bard locksmiths will love this, assuming there are enough water lore updates to make it a better choice than air lore.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 09:59 AM CDT
What is the reasoning behind water lore impacting anything with the damage a lockpick takes?

With it costing around 3 million experience to cap out picking and disarm I don't see how many people would be able to invest in lores for this. Especially when most of the population goes to auto smith because it's much faster. Is there anything that could alleviate the amount of RT for detection and disarm coming that would give people more incentive to go to a player locksmith?

For a rogue this benefit is nice but I'm not sure many will be able to afford training in lores especially if there are no other benefits. Maybe if this also reduced the experience penalty when casting 403?

Most of the time a capped picker would only have this up if they were picking a capped box in the -950 and up range.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 10:07 AM CDT
>Maybe if this also reduced the experience penalty when casting 403?

I like that idea.

Kaldonis was manually picking locks for about 18 months, and as a sorcerer the effective (PTP converted) cost of Elemental Lore is identical to Disarming Traps.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 10:11 AM CDT
How much damage can a lockpick take? How many ranks if I'm looking to negate all damage done?

Neat update with we knew a little bit more of the math.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 10:14 AM CDT
Think of it as using water lore to give your pick some fluidity to resist breaking. We're not using literal water here, we're using water magic.

You'll have to wait and see on 404, but not long.

Ixix
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 11:38 AM CDT
>Think of it as using water lore to give your pick some fluidity to resist breaking. We're not using literal water here, we're using water magic.

>You'll have to wait and see on 404, but not long.

>Ixix

I'm indifferent to this change since it has no effect on me, but...what?

I mean I guess that makes sense if you want to push it, but strictly from a game design perspective, how does this make sense when A) I don't see it being possible for a non-post cap rogue to afford water lore and B) Wizards typically don't pick boxes and also have very little reason to train water lore at least as of right now, before you turn 512 into an awesome spell like I know you're about to...right? Right? Hello? Guys?

Anyway, I'm really just curious what the thought process was behind this from a game design standpoint to make it water lore based, since I don't see it benefiting the (assumed) intended recipients.

~ Methais
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 12:02 PM CDT
Are you saying that you don't understand why this benefit is water lore based as opposed to fire/earth/air, or why this is water lore based as opposed to some other completely different thing?

If the latter - because this is an ELR update.

Ixix
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 12:09 PM CDT
<<Are you saying that you don't understand why this benefit is water lore based as opposed to fire/earth/air, or why this is water lore based as opposed to some other completely different thing?>>

Personally I would have thought it Earth would be better as in it strengthens the lockpick, but I can see a justification for water.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 12:19 PM CDT
GOLDENOAK2
Personally I would have thought it Earth would be better as in it strengthens the lockpick, but I can see a justification for water.

We tried to stick with general themes for each lore:

Fire: offensive
Earth: defensive
Water: Restoration and utility
Air: Time alteration and utility

It's only a general guideline, as sometimes a specific spell is strongly associated with an element that it doesn't make much sense to use any other element. You'll see why water lore makes more sense in the next couple of days.

GameMaster Estild
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 01:24 PM CDT

I agree generally with the "themes" of the various lores, and to even playing along with the same theme, it would appear this little bonus would seem to be better suited for Air lore. Bards (second best pickers in the game) already have some incentive to train air lore and this would be a natural fit. Rogues -- well, do they need this? Not sure, out of my jurisdiction. Maybe a rogue can comment how helpful they think this would be and if the training points invested (seed 10 summation? you really need THAT much lore? seems hardly justifiable to invest that many TP's) are worth it.

Very eager to see the rest of the changes and how the lores fit together for all classes.

Very NOT eager to see Immolation nerfed :(
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 01:49 PM CDT

Can someone else benefit from my lore bonus? If I'm a water wizard will my 403 protect someone else picking with my lore?

If so, I could see that being the preferred way of getting use from this as I occasionally cast lore on my pickers.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 01:51 PM CDT
<We tried to stick with general themes for each lore:

<Fire: offensive
<Earth: defensive
<Water: Restoration and utility
<Air: Time alteration and utility

<It's only a general guideline, as sometimes a specific spell is strongly associated with an element that it doesn't make much sense to use any other element. You'll see why water lore makes <more sense in the next couple of days.

I like this line of thought. Thanks for the insight.

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 02:00 PM CDT
Yes, the lore bonus is not limited to self-cast.

Ixix
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 02:01 PM CDT
>Can someone else benefit from my lore bonus? If I'm a water wizard will my 403 protect someone else picking with my lore?

>If so, I could see that being the preferred way of getting use from this as I occasionally cast lore on my pickers.

Even if that were the case, if you yourself don't have any lockpicking skill, the lore bonus they get is nonexistent, since lockpicking skill is a heavy factor in what you get from 403 if I remember correctly.

~ Methais
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 02:04 PM CDT
<<Yes, the lore bonus is not limited to self-cast.

Ixix>>

So in the case of an imbed would the lore be from the person who made the item or the locksmith activating it?
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 02:06 PM CDT
Imbed activations will not use the lore of the person who put the spell in the item.

Tal.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 02:47 PM CDT
Any chance the experience penalty can be reduced or removed when using lore? It never made any sense to me why I would get less experience trying to pick a -1400 box with lore when you don't really have much of a choice. If you are picking with the right pick to where it's still difficult to open a box should you really be punished with the lore when there is no other option other than using the lore?
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 02:58 PM CDT
My favorite goal would be to cut RT with lore... which I suppose leans us towards air lore? Whatever, I don't care which lore, I just think it's sad that there aren't many locksmiths around anymore, in large part because we value time more today than we used to. Today, too many people go to the town smith simply because it's faster. I think we should add a 5-8 second RT to each lock the town smith opens, and allow lores to significantly reduce RT for PCs. That could be enough to close the gap a little and make PC locksmithing more appealing from both sides of that equation.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 03:06 PM CDT
<<
My favorite goal would be to cut RT with lore... which I suppose leans us towards air lore? Whatever, I don't care which lore, I just think it's sad that there aren't many locksmiths around anymore, in large part because we value time more today than we used to. Today, too many people go to the town smith simply because it's faster. I think we should add a 5-8 second RT to each lock the town smith opens, and allow lores to significantly reduce RT for PCs. That could be enough to close the gap a little and make PC locksmithing more appealing from both sides of that equation.
>>

Part of the reason to use the town smith is because it's faster, but there are more reasons than that: Two reasons for me would be convenience and availability. I don't have have to "find" the town smith, he is also always available. There is already a benefit to not use the town smith, and that would be price/profit. Instead of making the town smith worse for everyone, try suggesting things that make locksmiths better for everyone. You don't ruin one in order to make the other better.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 03:12 PM CDT
What happens if multiple people cast 403 on the same picker? Can a locksmith take advantage of self cast lore for the bonus and a water lore wizard's damage reduction on the same attempt?

Fyonn's player
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 03:15 PM CDT
<<<Any chance the experience penalty can be reduced or removed when using lore? It never made any sense to me why I would get less experience trying to pick a -1400 box with lore when you don't really have much of a choice. If you are picking with the right pick to where it's still difficult to open a box should you really be punished with the lore when there is no other option other than using the lore?>>>>

This is a good point. I learn almost nothing from the most challenging boxes, because I cannot open them without lore. By contrast, I learn the most from boxes that are not challenging at all, and are far beneath my level. This just doesn't work right. Of course, simply removing the experience penalty from lock lore completely would create a situation where everyone used it all the time, since there would be no penalty for doing so. This would in effect change the balance of boxes across the board. But if the lock lore experience penalty could be scaled, somehow, so those top-end boxes produced decent experience, while still penalizing use on less challenging boxes...that would be ideal.

~ GtG
(Lock Pick tangent) 08/18/2015 03:17 PM CDT
Given that I just snapped a pick a couple of days ago with the Thief, I went over to look at what the lockpick modifiers are nowadays.
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Lockpicks

Is it just me, or does the "Weak (9/12)" listing for 'Alum' in the table in the 'Strength' column seem out of whack?
Two lines above that, Veniom lockpicks are of 'Excellent' strength at 9/12.
You have to go all the way back to Gold lockpicks, at 3/12, to find 'Weak' as a descriptor.

So color me confuzzled.

In other news... DAMN, but do you know how depressing it is to know that I can (just barely, with Lore) only pick the FIRST THIRD of the locks?!?!
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 03:28 PM CDT
It doesn't make any sense that the town smith can disarm and open a box instantly over someone that is a master locksmith who invested 3 million experience and a ton of time mastering lock mastery. You would think they would be more inline on how fast they can get a box open from start to finish.

On top of that... Pretty much any elemental caster can cast 407 or 408 to get most of their boxes opened.

Since I dropped 3x picking and disarm to 1x I can 407,408 or wedge a box ultimately saving myself the extra experience towards other skills along with the lack of risk of breaking a 125k customized master pick that I spent 2 million coins trying to make.

I would love to have more reasons to make 3x picking more worth it. If there were enough boxes I would sit on my rear and pick all the time. Unfortunately there aren't enough to get me fried more than a couple times a week.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 03:35 PM CDT
"<<<Any chance the experience penalty can be reduced or removed when using lore? It never made any sense to me why I would get less experience trying to pick a -1400 box with lore when you don't really have much of a choice. If you are picking with the right pick to where it's still difficult to open a box should you really be punished with the lore when there is no other option other than using the lore?>>>>

This is a good point. I learn almost nothing from the most challenging boxes, because I cannot open them without lore. By contrast, I learn the most from boxes that are not challenging at all, and are far beneath my level. This just doesn't work right. Of course, simply removing the experience penalty from lock lore completely would create a situation where everyone used it all the time, since there would be no penalty for doing so. This would in effect change the balance of boxes across the board. But if the lock lore experience penalty could be scaled, somehow, so those top-end boxes produced decent experience, while still penalizing use on less challenging boxes...that would be ideal.

~ GtG""

It would still use the same system when using a pick closer to the locks difficulty with the lore up. The only situation you could use it all the time to get closer to the difficulty with a weaker pick instead of using a stronger pick without lore. But in reality I don't see why that would even be an issue.

Of course if you always have it up and are using a vaalin pick on a -295 box that can be opened with a copper pick you shouldn't get the same experience. It would act the same way with or with it up with the existing pick modifier penalty.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 04:25 PM CDT
I think that you're all onto some good stuff - but it's going to get lost in here with the upcoming updates. This is my gentle suggestion to chat about general picking system ideas over in the rogue folders, where I'll be able to keep a better eye on it.

Ixix
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 04:30 PM CDT
<<<I think that you're all onto some good stuff - but it's going to get lost in here with the upcoming updates. This is my gentle suggestion to chat about general picking system ideas over in the rogue folders, where I'll be able to keep a better eye on it. ~ Ixix>>>

Okay, but bear in mind, not all locksmiths are rogues. ;)

~ GtG
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 04:32 PM CDT
I'd like to ask why this is water lore based as opposed to some other completely different thing. Pickers have talked about some very reasonable changes to 403 for awhile.

I understand this is an ELR update, but the first spell in this update to see a change was 402 and it had absolutely nothing to do with lores.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 04:39 PM CDT
<<I understand this is an ELR update, but the first spell in this update to see a change was 402 and it had absolutely nothing to do with lores.>>

Did you miss the part where Air Lore now makes it possible to sometimes auto-point at the things 402 detects?
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 05:15 PM CDT
No I didn't miss that part. I'm ignoring it like everyone else in favor of the real change. Almost every post about it has been about duration or simply clearing up what it does.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 05:50 PM CDT
>Think of it as using water lore to give your pick some fluidity to resist breaking. We're not using literal water here, we're using water magic.

Ah, thanks for illuminating the "water" flavor here. I admit I read the release and was like...water? "Shouldn't water like, rust a lockpick?!"

>We tried to stick with general themes for each lore:

Makes even more sense!

>I mean I guess that makes sense if you want to push it, but strictly from a game design perspective, how does this make sense when A) I don't see it being possible for a non-post cap rogue to afford water lore and B) Wizards typically don't pick boxes and also have very little reason to train water lore at least as of right now, before you turn 512 into an awesome spell like I know you're about to...right? Right? Hello? Guys?

I appreciate your stance, but if they are giving elemental lore benefits to an elemental spell which already helps lockpicking...what exactly were they going to do which isn't inconsistent with your stand point?

>Yes, the lore bonus is not limited to self-cast.

That's cool, except the experience snub part where people often don't want it. Could be more of a trade-off now though! (Also, if someone is damaging a lockpick, they actually did want 403 even if they don't know it.)

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 05:58 PM CDT
When I think of water I think of Bruce Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APx2yFA0-B4

Chad, player of a few
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 06:19 PM CDT
<My favorite goal would be to cut RT with lore... which I suppose leans us towards air lore? Whatever, I don't care which lore, I just think it's sad that there aren't many locksmiths around <anymore, in large part because we value time more today than we used to. Today, too many people go to the town smith simply because it's faster. I think we should add a 5-8 second RT to each <lock the town smith opens, and allow lores to significantly reduce RT for PCs. That could be enough to close the gap a little and make PC locksmithing more appealing from both sides of that <equation.

I disagree. I think making things more annoying and time-consuming doesn't address the underlying problem at all and is a great way to make the game more tedious than it already is. There's a reason many players express the opinion that they wouldn't play GS without Lich you know.

I've posted my suggestions on this before. You can design a locksmithing system that players find rewarding and worth their time. Why not spend time and energy on that rather than trying to curb player behavior by throwing up roadblocks?

~Taverkin
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 06:49 PM CDT
I happen to think they go hand in hand Tav. There's a tipping point where it's worth searching out a locksmith, and also where it's worth being one. I want us to be on the side where everyone wants a locksmith instead of the townsmith, and every locksmith is excited for the chance. No matter how you get there, for that to happen, the locksmith has to be the best option. 5 seconds of RT for Lorton or Blackfingers is completely reasonable, and if locksmiiths could regularly get down to that time range with the right training, then most of us would at least take a cursory look for one before heading to the town smith. All told, that adds 50 seconds to my average hunt, which I think is pretty tolerable. But, I'll take any further conversation to the locksmithing folder.

Kerl
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 07:47 PM CDT
>>"Shouldn't water like, rust a lockpick?!"

We have very few ferrous metals in Elanthia. Why build with something that rusts when we've got tons of mithril...

___
ASGM of Events and Festivals
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 09:10 PM CDT
<(Also, if someone is damaging a lockpick, they actually did want 403 even if they don't know it.)>

This fallacy has resulted in more annoyance for me then just about anything else in GS. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've either lost out on experience or wasted time waiting for 403 to drop (or worse, missing out on an LM rep when I was still working on it) because some well-meaning person with access to MnE spells tosses it one me the second I get a pick stuck in the lock without bothering to ask if I need/want it.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 09:35 PM CDT
<<This fallacy has resulted in more annoyance for me then just about anything else in GS. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've either lost out on experience or wasted time waiting for 403 to drop (or worse, missing out on an LM rep when I was still working on it) because some well-meaning person with access to MnE spells tosses it one me the second I get a pick stuck in the lock without bothering to ask if I need/want it.

Starchitin
>>

If you know the spell, you can stop it when its cast on you...not sure if you are able to or not though.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 09:46 PM CDT
I don't think making the npc locksmith less convenient is necessary at all. The way I see it we could use incentives via the bounty system or similar mechanics to make it so players see the npc as the last resort and locksmithing is a bonus from a standpoint of the rewards it offers rather than less reward mechanically than the same amount of time used on other activities.

In that scenario there is no need to punish players for being unable to find a locksmith.
Re: HSN: ELR - 403 (Lock Pick Enhancement) updated! 08/18/2015 10:32 PM CDT
<If you know the spell, you can stop it when its cast on you...not sure if you are able to or not though.>

I've known the spell for less then 1% of the time I've been picking (12 years). Regardless, it's just plain rude to cast it on a locksmith that hasn't requested it.

Besides the many reasons a smith might not want lore to begin with, self cast is more powerful then getting if from someone else (unless, perhaps, the caster has WAY more ranks in lockpicking then the recipient).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Prev_page Previous 1 3