Mechanical flares? 05/22/2017 03:56 PM CDT
Does anyone recall, maybe from ten-to-a-dozen years ago (says my hazy recollection), mechanical flares coming out that had springy things on weapons? The name of the merchant, what they were effective against, how long they went before needing repair, et cetera?

Only things on the Wiki look like they're for wand-loading Bazzelwyn runestaves, and this is a flail.

Here's what it looks like:
"Two thin metal spikes are attached to the handle of the flail. They are angled so that they lie parallel to one another, against the length of the weapon. Tightly coiled steel springs are clearly visible beneath the spikes. >>-->The springs appear to be in absolutely perfect condition.<--<< You also notice a small enchanter's mark."
(Emphasis mine.)

Any de-mystification would be helpful! Thanks in advance.
Re: Mechanical flares? 05/23/2017 06:48 AM CDT
Pretty sure the "absolutely perfect condition" line is for the permanent versions. They should never degrade. The flares will always hit the same spot as the attack as long as that area doesn't already have a rank 3 wound.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Mechanical flares? 05/23/2017 08:48 AM CDT
"the "absolutely perfect condition" line is for the permanent versions." -- Nuadjha

This matches well with my buying habits.

If I read the 'Flares' page of the wiki correctly: these are considered a 'rare' type; and being 'spikes' on top of the springs, they will always do Puncture crits, does that sound accurate?
Re: Mechanical flares? 05/23/2017 08:49 AM CDT
>If I read the 'Flares' page of the wiki correctly: these are considered a 'rare' type; and being 'spikes' on top of the springs, they will always do Puncture crits, does that sound accurate?

Yep. Spikes for puncture, blades for slash, and rods for crush.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!