Holy items and defenders, etc. 03/12/2013 11:07 AM CDT
I have a few questions about the player shop descriptions for some items. While I think they may be fairly obvious to most, but it has been a while since I have seen some aspects of this game.

First, I noticed some items are considered holy but what isn't clear to me is whether that means it is blessed, or if it is a perma-blessed item. Usually the item loresong will indicate the number of 'blesses' the item holds, but in some cases I notice that it is described as holy but doesn't have any indication of the number charges. Is there a difference between it being blessed, or perma-blessed item?

Secondly, I have noticed some items have a defensive quality (seems only certain weapons) to them. What is that exactly? Or rather how does that work in practice? I have no clue what that means or what it applies to. Is the + of the item applied to DS? Or does it protect the wielder in other less obvious ways? Is the type of defense universal? Or does it scale according to stance, or some other such thing? Is it always a DS modifier, or can it be applied TD, or something else?

Thirdly, I heard rumors and have seen in the player shops, these things called orbs which appear to have interesting properties. However, I have no clue how these things are used. Additionally, along the same lines as I am assuming they augment something I noticed that some items have spots for a gem of sorts to be inserted. I assume that is where these orbs are used for. Lastly, and I believe it is still in line with this, I heard that one can add augments to a runestaff to add various properties to them. Is that true and how does one go about doing that?

If there is a place that details any of this please feel free to direct my attention there!

--Zizzle
Re: Holy items and defenders, etc. 03/12/2013 11:36 AM CDT
>First, I noticed some items are considered holy but what isn't clear to me is whether that means it is blessed, or if it is a perma-blessed item. Usually the item loresong will indicate the number of 'blesses' the item holds, but in some cases I notice that it is described as holy but doesn't have any indication of the number charges. Is there a difference between it being blessed, or perma-blessed item?

Now, this may not be the most informative answer to your actual question, but I would hazard a guess that there are very few perma-blessed items floating around on playershops. Perma-blessed items are very rare, and you can probably tell the difference by their pricing. Suffice to say, if you see an item that is blessed and you are curious as to whether it is perma-blessed or not . . . assume it isn't. That said, there is such a thing as sanctification, and thats relatively common . . . its basically perma-blessed for clerics/paladins only, and normally (but not always) is made of white ora or eonake.

Another option is to LOOK at the item, if you can. Blessed items have a distinct appearance, but sancted items don't. On Playershops, most of these say "faint aura of holy light radiates from the handaxe".

>Secondly, I have noticed some items have a defensive quality (seems only certain weapons) to them. What is that exactly? Or rather how does that work in practice? I have no clue what that means or what it applies to. Is the + of the item applied to DS? Or does it protect the wielder in other less obvious ways? Is the type of defense universal? Or does it scale according to stance, or some other such thing? Is it always a DS modifier, or can it be applied TD, or something else?

I couldn't find anything with this description, but I would assume it is defender items. Defender items are usually weapons that provide an above average defensive benefit to the wielder. Last I checked, the exact benefit normally has to be determined manually, and isn't going to show up on a playershops display.

An additional minor note, there are two other types of defensive items out there; TD boosting items (imagine an armor or shield that gives to TD) and DB items (clothing or jewelry that gives an enchanted DS bonus, like armor would). I suspect this is neither of these two, however.

>Thirdly, I heard rumors and have seen in the player shops, these things called orbs which appear to have interesting properties. However, I have no clue how these things are used. Additionally, along the same lines as I am assuming they augment something I noticed that some items have spots for a gem of sorts to be inserted. I assume that is where these orbs are used for. Lastly, and I believe it is still in line with this, I heard that one can add augments to a runestaff to add various properties to them. Is that true and how does one go about doing that?

Orbs and the items with the spots for a gem to be inserted, are part of the "fusion" system, a relatively new mechanic that allows you to take an enhancive item and "orb it" (destroying the item and turning it into an orb), and then placed into a slot on specialized "fusion armor/weapons/etc", granting the enhancive property to that item. This not only allows you to pick and choose and consolidate your favorite enhancives, but you can later easily swap the orbs out into other items. Personally, I don't care for the system, but its incredibly popular.

There is no "runestaff specific" augmentation system I am aware of, but there are fusion runestaves. The rules work the same. But you can do the very same thing to armor or other items. Now, there are now runestaff FLARES, and thats a little different. Runestaves also have some unique flares, namely acuity (a CS/AS flare) and mana (a mana regenerating flare).

Most of this stuff isn't really explained anywhere, at least not from a playershops perspective. Krakiipedia has some info, but not all. Any other questions?

>"Walkar says, "Yes, too many kings never work. Especially when there's only one throne. It's a wicked game."
>Shameless plug.
Re: Holy items and defenders, etc. 03/12/2013 11:48 AM CDT
>>Secondly, I have noticed some items have a defensive quality (seems only certain weapons) to them. What is that exactly? Or rather how does that work in practice? I have no clue what that means or what it applies to. Is the + of the item applied to DS? Or does it protect the wielder in other less obvious ways? Is the type of defense universal? Or does it scale according to stance, or some other such thing? Is it always a DS modifier, or can it be applied TD, or something else?

It means it's a 'Defender' weapon.

For example a +12/+6 Defender weapon would always give +12 to AS and always +6 to generic (All) DS. Regardless of stance. This is in addition to any other calculations that take into account weapon enchants for defensive purposes. As it stands right now, no weapon (excluding I suppose a runestaff) adds to TD at all.

>The harmonics generated tell you that the armor serves to protect from magical attacks.

This ^ is the loresong messaging for TD for armor and shields.

>Thirdly, I heard rumors and have seen in the player shops, these things called orbs which appear to have interesting properties.

Look up fusion on Krakiipedia.

-farmer
Re: Holy items and defenders, etc. 03/12/2013 02:28 PM CDT
Thanks for the prompt replies!

I looked up the information on FUSION items on Krakii and Nilandia for further research. One thing though is not explained there, but alluded to, are fusion items ONLY found/bought at special events and merchants, or can they be found in the treasure system as well? Secondly, in reference to the fusion shaman, is they also ONLY to be found at special events/merchants, or can they be found around the lands somewhere sans special events?

--Zizzle
Re: Holy items and defenders, etc. 03/12/2013 03:36 PM CDT
I suppose a fusion item could be put through the treasure system, but I've never seen one. They seem to be pretty heavily event only.

And fusion orb creation is definitely event only. There is some discussion of creating a store at some point (I heard Solhaven?) but nothing for now.

>"Walkar says, "Yes, too many kings never work. Especially when there's only one throne. It's a wicked game."
>Shameless plug.
Re: Holy items and defenders, etc. 03/12/2013 04:43 PM CDT
Never seen or heard of a fusion item or enhancive orb being found in the treasure system. Does not mean its not possible.

Another note on fusion regarding recharging. All fusion gear, just like enhancives, can only be recharged through AG points. Sometimes, however, the GMs will open a window of time that you can recharge at the AG with silvers.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Holy items and defenders, etc. 03/12/2013 06:08 PM CDT
>>There is some discussion of creating a store at some point (I heard Solhaven?) but nothing for now.

Just a thought, but, Eorgina's palace and the seemingly purposeless stand on her balcony might be a good place for the creation of orb gems. Or up on Melghorens Reach.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)