Prev_page Previous 1
Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 09:53 AM CDT
Can you guys think up any other neat things that are Ranger-centric, which I could also sell off-the-shelf in a festival shop? I'm kind of running short on Ranger ideas after the imbue boxes.

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 10:20 AM CDT
Ranger restricted enhancives
Special treats for companions - Don't need to do anything, just could be nice
Animal companion wearables - These exist, right?
Neat arrows, arrow scribers?
Neat looking bows
Ranger RP props - Maps, compasses, etc
Camping gear - Non-auction quality tents, RP props, wearable blankets and bedrolls, etc
Nice Armor and armor accessories for Resist nature
skinning bags/knives - Scripted or unscripted as is allowed
non-standard dye colors - Is this possible to release?
Foraging themed items - Foraging bags, gloves, etc. Nothing scripted or enhancive if not possible off the shelf.
dog Whistles or bird calls- Maybe with a simple script, likely too hard to get it to play with their companions
Off the shelf specialty herbs of all sorts - For Resist Nature or just for foraging
Ranger themed foodstuffs - Rations, jerky, etc

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 11:47 AM CDT

Boots that pick up dirt outside of towns that can be knocked off, will get dirty again at some point outside of town. Realm specific, so pumice stones or something for Teras, etc.

Hats/other clothing that can have foraged/skinning items added to them.

Skinning knives/foraging gloves that can randomly generate special items to put on clothing above when used. Realm/area specific?

Bow covers. They cover bows.

Skinning sacks that can get gory depending on what kind of skins are in'em, ie some vor'taz juice leaks out of xyz's sack. Okay, that sounded bad.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 11:50 AM CDT
Companion treats with exceptionally high fat content.

Player of Zeek
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 02:47 PM CDT

Love the imbue boxes btw.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 04:07 PM CDT
My preference is towards items with a mechanical function, beyond fluff messaging, so temper that into your requests.

It should remain something that can be sold off the shelf (ie: unlimited quantities), as I'm not fishing for auction item ideas right now.

Who has good ideas to steal!

___
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 04:21 PM CDT
Ooo! I do! I do!

A quiver that has 2 to 3 different sections that you can ROTATE to draw out a specific arrow. So I can carry all my flaring arrows, blessed arrows, super flaring arrows in one handy dandy container (and I can stop firing the wrong arrows at the wrong critters!).

- Corlyne, now with more rangers.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 04:36 PM CDT
If you want something that will sell for every ranger...an items that allows the companion to attack faster off command....
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 04:50 PM CDT
Tamuz - sent some ideas to your play.net. Let me know if they get lost in the mail system.

-- Robert
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 05:56 PM CDT
How about herbs/potions that allow you to do lightning resistance.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 07:20 PM CDT
<<<A quiver that has 2 to 3 different sections that you can ROTATE to draw out a specific arrow. So I can carry all my flaring arrows, blessed arrows, super flaring arrows in one handy dandy container (and I can stop firing the wrong arrows at the wrong critters!).>>>

That's a really great idea! +1!
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 08:52 PM CDT
Tell me more about this quiver, as I'm unsure of the specifics of what you're looking for here.

___
Re: Ranger Toys 07/01/2013 09:37 PM CDT
Think of the arrows like the orbs on a fusion item, the one on top is the one you have access to, then you rub the item to switch/rotate the one you are manipulating.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 01:38 AM CDT
A device you can whisper into (which is used in conjunction with 605) that modulates the ranger's voice to make the whisper anonymous.

E.g. The wind carries an indistinguishable male/female voice that says, "You are all going to die tonight."

Or, I was going to suggest this as an independent idea (that is, no item required), but there there's no reason it can't be implemented and be used by the above item concept to further enhance the idea.

Currently, whispers only convey speech. Why not other actions, such as a laugh, giggle, or other non-speech verbal behaviors? The above item could then be made to make the actions anonymous and creepy.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 01:51 AM CDT
Another idea that would be kind of neat would be one that helps the ranger maintain the feature changes generated by the aspects of 650 (without maintaining the aspect's mechanical benefit any longer than its normal duration) for an extended period of time -- say, an hour maybe.

I sometimes use the aspects for their feature alterations in roleplay, but it can be kind of difficult to draw much attention to due to their ephemeral nature.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 01:59 AM CDT
This one gets into the realm of mechanical advantage, but how about some boots (or an attachment to footwear) that enhance the ability to walk around quietly (via 617).

Unfortunately, this spell seems to cap out in effectiveness despite continued dedication to the ranger circle (or has a benefit so marginal as to lack meaningful impact).

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 02:24 AM CDT
>> Tell me more about this quiver, as I'm unsure of the specifics of what you're looking for here.

Exactly what TROUBLE13 mentioned, a quiver when RUBBED or ROTATED would switch to a different compartment of arrows.

Something along the lines of..

LOOK quiver - The quiver has been divided into three different sections by thick panels of wood. A circular disc of metal tops off the quiver, in which a wedge has been cut to expose a single section.

ROTATE/RUB quiver - You spin the outer section of the quiver and the quiet sound of gears interlocking.

PEER quiver - You see that the quiver currently has <yada yada> arrows equipped.

Then you can grab your arrow, fire, win.

I know you can FLIP fletched arrows to change descriptors for ease of organization, but I like to do things with fancypants style.

- C
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 03:17 AM CDT
<<<ROTATE/RUB quiver>>>

TURN might work just dandy. :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 09:01 AM CDT
But... but... but that would interfere with using 'turn' to bring the different alteration into view!!

(Assuming that the quivers were items that could have multiple alterations. :)
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 09:15 AM CDT
The quiver would be nice. One compartment carry ebladed arrows. Turn your quiver and it spins and the other compartment will carry blessed arrows.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 10:48 AM CDT
I'm seeing visions of Hawkeye's rotating quiver in Avengers from a last summer.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 11:32 AM CDT

A bow sling or something like it that allows you to put two bows in and they're displayed if someone looks at you. Kind of like those baldrics that were sold years ago.

Maybe something like this already exists?

- Odysia
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 02:34 PM CDT
>> I'm seeing visions of Hawkeye's rotating quiver in Avengers from a last summer.

Exactly that!
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 03:17 PM CDT
So you guys are thinking of a quiver that's scripted to only let you draw blessed arrows? It could then be manipulated to the opposite setting, allowing you to only draw e-bladed or flaring arrows?

___
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 04:02 PM CDT
I was thinking more in terms of the medicinal bags that I think came out while I was on the trail at Philmont one year. (And hopefully that work on a "put my in my" basis like the Premium lockers.)

Inside the (one, single) quiver item (cut down on 'look' scroll) there are multiple holder-thingies. In the turquoise holder-thingie I have my holy-water flaring arrows of DescriptionX. In the ruby holder-thingie I have my eBladed fire-flaring arrows of DescriptionY. In the diamond holder-thingie I have my eBladed cold-flaring arrows of DescriptionZ. Lather, rinse, repeat for rarity of the quivers (higher level of rarity == more holder-thingies inside).

When I 'look quiver' I see that the turquoise holder is uppermost. When I 'turn' it, the ruby (then diamond, then back to turquoise) is uppermost. Doing a 'get my from my' will draw an arrow from the quiver's currently selected holder.

When I 'rub quiver' the altered description changes. Higher level of rarity of the quiver == more alteration slots available. (Like my cloak that has 3 alterations, or the staff that has 4.)

When I have gathered all of the arrows of DescriptionX|Y|Z, if I "put my in my" then it doesn't matter which holder-thingie is uppermost: just like the Premium lockers, the arrows are sorted automatically to the correct internal holder-thingie. (I believe the herbal satchels did this; if you had ephlox in one of the internal pockets and you 'put my moss in my satchel' it would be added to the existing stash of ephlox.)
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 05:01 PM CDT
That would involve multiple containers-within-a-container. While possible, it gets clunky and they're sometimes difficult to interact with, and they would take up a lot more locker space.

Let me try again, phrasing it as something I'm relatively sure could be done (coding wise): You guys want a quiver that can be manipulated so only a specific type of ammunition inside of it can be drawn out (ie: only blessed arrows, or manipulate it to only let you grab fire flaring arrows), even if it is storing multiple types of ammunition?

___
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 05:16 PM CDT
>>Let me try again, phrasing it as something I'm relatively sure could be done (coding wise): You guys want a quiver that can be manipulated so only a specific type of ammunition inside of it can be drawn out (ie: only blessed arrows, or manipulate it to only let you grab fire flaring arrows), even if it is storing multiple types of ammunition?

Yes please. My biggest issue with carrying multiple types of arrows in one container is when I forget to grab the bundle I plan on using and throwing it back on top of the pile. My macro will draw one arrow (I don't have it specified for the blessed bundle or the flared bundle) and fire. With the Hawkeye (TM) quiver, I can just TURN to set my arrows and go about my business. Run into some undead something-or-other? Just TURN again to setup the blessed bundle, so on and so forth.

I hope that was less confusing than my 3am (4?) posting.

- C
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 06:05 PM CDT
>Let me try again, phrasing it as something I'm relatively sure could be done (coding wise): You guys want a quiver that can be manipulated so only a specific type of ammunition inside of it can be drawn out (ie: only blessed arrows, or manipulate it to only let you grab fire flaring arrows), even if it is storing multiple types of ammunition?

YES PLEASE.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 06:43 PM CDT
A thousand times this.

I keep my blessed arrows in my backpack and my regular/e-blade arrows in my quiver. This would be a nice quality of life improvement, and also make me feel less stupid for having to re-set my "ready ammo" default and/or type "get 1 arrow from my backpack" when hunting undead. Arrows belong in quivers, not backpacks.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/02/2013 06:55 PM CDT
There are times when ammo management can become a RPITA. Most of the time I keep it under control.

What I do is keep the bundle I intend to use at the top of the container. If I need to switch, I have the macro: get other arrow from my quiver\rput my arrow in my quiver\

This works...mostly. But if I'm carrying three bundles of arrows, I have to use "get third arrow from my quiver". If I'm in the middle of a battle against undead, and fire my last blessed arrow, the next arrow I'll grab will be non-blessed. Depending on how crazy the combat is, I could fire several volleys before realizing I'm firing duds. Worse, now I've got piles of both blessed and non-blessed ammo lying around, and while I'm scrambling to gather it all up so I can keep fighting, whatever I was shooting at is happily gnawing my legs off.

Enter the rotating quiver.

>turn quiver
You give your quiver a quick spin, exposing some red-banded faewood arrows with spiral drakar arrowheads.

>turn quiver
You give your quiver a quick spin, exposing some silver ironwood arrows with vultite arrowheads.

>turn quiver
You give your quiver a quick spin, exposing some strawberry-banded faewood arrows with barbed veniom arrowheads.

From this point on, only those particular arrows would be drawn from my quiver. When those run out, nothing comes out unless I TURN the quiver again.

It would be really, really groovy if the quiver was auto-sorting. In other words, if I typed "put my arrow in my quiver" it would automatically bundle the arrow with other like arrows. If no identical matches were found, it would just put it in by itself.

Something like this would be archer heaven. :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Ranger Toys 07/03/2013 08:44 AM CDT
"make me feel less stupid for having to re-set my "ready ammo" default" -- YuhlMule

and

""get third arrow from my quiver"." -- HeatherHaze

Seriously? Both of you, I mean... seriously?

I've got certain characters set up to draw (F9/left hand or F12/right hand) three different weapons (for each hand, so a total of six). [And F10/F11 are to put away the respective weapon for each hand.) On at least one of those characters, at least three of the weapons are katars.

ADJECTIVES, people. Jeez. "get my vutitle katar from %container\r" versus "get my edged katar from %container\r" Absolutely clear and unambiguous.

Multiple get/put macros, not one uber script. (How can it be uber if it doesn't have power & flexibility?) Do your set-up before you head out hunting, and just be aware that you need Shift+F7 if the <undead beastie> walks in but normally you're using F7. Or whatever.

Everybody and their brother is all hopped up on alteration-dust nowadays, they're cheap and easy to get. USE 'EM.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/03/2013 09:42 AM CDT
I've had trouble writing macros and scripts that were flexible enough to work with different arrows, the ready list and the bundle command. Melee is simple. Arrows are not.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/03/2013 11:51 AM CDT
>A quiver that has 2 to 3 different sections that you can ROTATE to draw out a specific arrow. So I can carry all my flaring arrows, blessed arrows, super flaring arrows in one handy dandy container (and I can stop firing the wrong arrows at the wrong critters!).

oooookay Hawkeye =)

Great idea...

Player of Zeek
Re: Ranger Toys 07/03/2013 12:02 PM CDT
(Bear in mind that I'm still using the Wizard, so this may not apply to newer 'more powerful' programs.)

I have macro set #1 set up as general hunting. F9-F12 are dealing with weapons. <normal + Shift> F5-F7 are the six stances. <Alt+Ctrl> of those three plus all of F8 are the creatures that I normally deal with (when I change areas, I change the macros). F2 is "disable the enemy" in increasing order of power from normal to Shift to Alt to Ctrl. (For example, for the Bard it's F2/Lullabye, shift+F2/VibChant, Alt+F2/Stunning Shout, and Ctrl+F2/Song of Rage.)

#3 is the Minor Realm list, #4 the profession list, and #5 the Major Realm list (if applicable). (Since my Sorcerer will know only three (3) Minor Spirit spells, ever, I've got that stashed in #5 and the other Minor list in #3 where I'm used to thinking about it.) F11 is "cast on me" (buffs) and F12 is "cast on them" (damage or kill), in increasing order of power from normal to Shift to Alt to Ctrl.

#7 is for the morphing rods (F1 through F12 cycle through the shapes).

#9 is Society powers.

#s 2, 6, & 8 are unused.

This is exactly the same layout for EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER. Always. When I want the 8th Minor spell, I go to set 3 and hit F8.

For me, I would just pick another macro set (#2 is blessed, #6 is fire, #8 is cold) for each type of arrow. If there are more commands than melee but not so many that you need 48 F-keys for them (say perhaps that only 12 will suffice) then I would use four different kinds of arrows: normal F-key, Shift, Alt, and Ctrl. <whatever command> is always on F5, for every type of arrow. Just change the type of arrow.

Generally, most areas have only a certain number of creatures that I need to worry about. Depending on just how many steps you need to do with the arrows, you could use F1-F8 for dealing with those. F9 (normal, Shift, Alt, Ctrl) for dealing with your area's creatures. F10 for "left" (leg, hand, arm, eye) and F12 for "right" (leg, hand, arm, eye), with F11 for the non-differentiated body parts (abdomen, back, chest, neck, head) in some combination (only four of them fit). Put the "\r" at the end of the body part, or just hit "Enter" after the F9/critter designation to fire an unaimed shot.

Combat turns into about three F-keystrokes (plus some number of Shift/Alt/Ctrl additions): 1) get/nock the arrow commands get fired off, "fire at " loaded on the command line; 2) critter name get selected; 3) either "Enter" for un-aimed or F10-F12 for aimed. Cleanup to gather/stow is another F-key.

I've never been a big believer in trying to account for all kinds of situations in scripts. Some of the arcane parameters I see people talk about entering (to trigger their script so it does exactly what they want) make me think that it'd be easier to just type in the command normally.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/03/2013 01:29 PM CDT
<<<<Seriously? Both of you, I mean... seriously?

I've got certain characters set up to draw (F9/left hand or F12/right hand) three different weapons (for each hand, so a total of six). [And F10/F11 are to put away the respective weapon for each hand.) On at least one of those characters, at least three of the weapons are katars.

ADJECTIVES, people. Jeez. "get my vutitle katar from %container\r" versus "get my edged katar from %container\r" Absolutely clear and unambiguous.

Multiple get/put macros, not one uber script. (How can it be uber if it doesn't have power & flexibility?) Do your set-up before you head out hunting, and just be aware that you need Shift+F7 if the <undead beastie> walks in but normally you're using F7. Or whatever.

Everybody and their brother is all hopped up on alteration-dust nowadays, they're cheap and easy to get. USE 'EM.>>>

Hey, genius, sets of arrows do not always have handy adjectives to grab, even if they're different. That works fine for your "clear and unambiguous" katars, but if you have two sets of faewood arrows, one blessed and one flaring, that's not going to cut it. Anybody who's dealt with ammo for any length of time knows it can sometimes be a PITA, no matter how clever you think you are. Furthermore, people do not always have macros set up for every potential situation. When something outside the typical routine happens, things can get messy. Normally, I don't hunt with more than two bundles of arrows. But on occasion, I might wind up with three more bundles, and I won't have time to sit there and set up macros (like in an invasion).

But gee, thanks for the swell grammar lesson.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Ranger Toys 07/03/2013 02:15 PM CDT
You don't set up the macros when you need to use them. You set up the macros when you make the arrows.

I'll confess that I've avoided Ranged specifically because I didn't want to be bothered buying (and carrying) arrows all the time. And my only interaction with ammunition is with the Thrown guy, and there I cheated (traded for a bandolier) so all I have to worry about is the clean up (glance at them and they dissolve, but I usually do that while the combat is still on-going so that the weapon doesn't get picked up and used against me).

But correct me if I was mistaken in my analysis: you need two commands before you can even attack (get the arrow, nock the arrow) every attack (which is unlike melee in that you only need to 'get' the weapon a single time and then re-use it). The attack itself is still going to be a single command. And at the end of the combat, there are at least two commands of clean-up required (gather/put). Have I missed anything?

Yes, there can be multiple different kinds of ammunition--hunting in an area with both living & undead, for example--to deal with. So when firing at LivingCritterA you use F1 through F8 for all the get/nock (to include starting the "fire " command line), gather/put, stance, and other stuff; F9 for the living creature, F10-F12 as I described for aimed body parts; and then when fighting UndeadCritterB you're using SHIFT+F1 through F8 for all the get/nock/gather/put, SHIFT+F9 for the critter name, and F10-F12 for the body parts.
(And the clean-up can wait until after the combat and the room is clear, even. Or heck, leave 'em lie there for the Sorcerer in the party to Implode with. Or rub your Implode amulet. Or whatever.)

Even a completely surprise situation--like an invasion--can, worst case, be handled by skipping the "F9"/critter name step and just typing in the noun while the fire command is being built in the command line. (Which, honestly, is probably what you're already doing with any script invocation line already.)

If Ranged weapons work with the 'target' verb then you can even dispense with that for every attack after the first on a given critter. But that would be the case now so it's no different.

On those--rare--occasions where adjective/noun match up (like a jagged vultite dagger and a jagged mithril dagger), then, yes, absolutely, I use a different container. But the put/get buttons on the keyboard remain the same; the container situation is handled by the command invoked.

And with Ranged weapons, if you fletch your own arrows you can choose how you want them to look. There have got to be more combinations available than the 15 or so common effects that people care about (fire, cold, lightning, acid, void, plasma, Holy, and all the other weirdo flares that are out nowadays).

Then again, I may be doing you an injustice.

Is it really more prevalent among today's players to (for example) re-order the contents of a container so that the common item is the top one (so that "get broads from my back" retrieves the correct one)--potentially needing to be done every time the character logs in--as opposed to simply using "get vult broads from my back" instead? To me, one seems obvious and the other... sub-optimal.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/13/2013 11:39 PM CDT

<So you guys are thinking of a quiver that's scripted to only let you draw blessed arrows? It could then be manipulated to the opposite setting, allowing you to only draw e-bladed or flaring arrows?>

best way for you to understand what she means it make yourself a 30ish ranger an get a bow and try an hunt someplace with mixed dead and undead. It should be fairly clear what the issue is.
Re: Ranger Toys 07/13/2013 11:51 PM CDT

An eblade box for arrows would be nice, like the blessing sheaths.

A flask or container that rangers can put there foraged herbs in as two herbs. Creating one get the combined effect even if R/T is stacked. Like curing minor and major scars at once, with the full rt of both still in effect, you just take both herbs at oncem but the encumbrance is the same as bundling.

an equivalent potion to haste for companions, that lasts a bit longer maybe 4 minutes a sip but only works for companions.

a medium sized or small saddle bag or such to be worn by companions to hold herbs or small items the ranger can get
Re: Ranger Toys 07/16/2013 11:01 PM CDT
I would prefer some toys for my companion. They really need some love and need to be become a much bigger part of what a ranger is.

As for the different arrows, you do know you can just use multiple macros/scripts. I used to use .fire for my eblades and .bfire for my blessed arrows. Using a quiver that only allows you to pull out 1 at a time would be limiting your ability to actually use multiple arrow types. Although I never ever use multiple arrow types anymore since I despise archery on undead and fletching takes WAY to long to make arrows that you lose so darn quick, only eblades for me.

Daemon Ranger
Re: Ranger Toys 07/16/2013 11:29 PM CDT
<<<As for the different arrows, you do know you can just use multiple macros/scripts.>>>

You can, and this works for some people. But the rotating quiver would be a very useful and desirable item for many archers. I think companions should get some love to. I don't think it needs to be either/or, necessarily.

~ Heathyr and friends
Prev_page Previous 1