Prev_page Previous 1
flares 03/18/2012 11:27 AM CDT
I've never had a lot of premium points, and just recently spent points to get acid flares added to a runestaff. not an excuse, but I wasn't really thinking at the time and now I'm realizing there's absolutely NO reason for me to take acid flares over fire flares. creatures in Nelemar are weak to fire and acid doesn't work well on Nelemar creatures (both of these things I have not tested myself but believe the one who said it). not to mention one creature that is ubiquitous throughout the game (trolls), get hit TWICE by fire.

to me, when you have no reason to take one flare over another, it's unbalanced. "some creatures are immune to fire" is NOT a reason for someone at cap; and what's unique about cap is my situation will almost certainly never change in this respect, unless they release a capped hunting ground full of creatures immune to fire. If I was not capped you could make the argument that fire flares are not always better.

to top it off, cold flares don't work on undead or cold creatures, lightning flares are all but useless in capped hunting grounds, and so forth.

when you add up all the pros and cons of the different flares for a capped character, it seems pretty unbalanced. where is acid's advantage? or cold's? or lightning's? or vibration's?

more importantly, what is being done about it? this would be an easy thing to fix. I'll offer very general suggestions:

Acid - additional damage over time, extra damage to corporeal undead or those with already rotting flesh
Lightning - more frequent nervous system damage (does this stop critters from casting?)
Vibration/Impact - chance to knock weapon/shield loose
Cold - occasional slow effect.
Fire - I think fire has plenty of advantages already.

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/18/2012 05:24 PM CDT
I can understand where you're coming from, but the problem is that you're wanting to make the baseline flares more powerful than they should be. We have to have some sort of base to measure by, and the "common" flares types, which is what you can pick with premium points, are at the baseline. All the nicer and stronger flares are going to be your auction-quality or raffle type ones that can be more useful and more powerful.

The other problem is that you're being very specific to your needs, which is capped hunting. Flares are not designed with just a certain level range in mind, but rather across all level ranges of creatures. And when those are factored in there can be a huge difference to people's needs or wants. Fire and acid are generally good for undead. Cold is good against fire creatures. Vibration is good against stone-based creatures. Etc.

There's also the fact that if the base flares are much nicer then it would be much harder for us GM's to have fun creating all kinds of new and fun flare types to release. Things like disintegration flares, poison flares, gas flares, etc. might have never been invented if the common flares were considered great and there was no need for anything further.

Bottom line is, flares should not be balanced for a specific level range and instead you have to look at the bigger picture: level 0 to level 100.

~Aulis
QC'er
Forums Manager
Re: flares 03/18/2012 07:27 PM CDT
You have to admit that cold and steam are pretty darn horrible though.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: flares 03/18/2012 07:41 PM CDT
>Bottom line is, flares should not be balanced for a specific level range and instead you have to look at the bigger picture: level 0 to level 100.

even across 100 levels, they are still unbalanced, you have to admit.

and yes, I am talking about capped hunting, but seeing as I am stuck here, I think it's a valid point.

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/18/2012 08:05 PM CDT
Cold flares actually offer a lot of benefits in certain hunting areas.

Haven't played around with steam much, but I would guess they might be as they are because there really isn't anything immune to them (as far as I know)? I could be wrong.

GM Marstreforn
Re: flares 03/18/2012 08:39 PM CDT
it's not fair to pidgeonhole people at cap, because we cannot control our hunting options. as it is, capped players make up a sizable percent of the game's population and we shouldn't be dismissed as an outlier group. ie don't say my concerns aren't valid just because I'm at cap.

yes, flares work better in some areas than others, but of the options I have, only fire seems like it has any advantages over the others.

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/18/2012 09:54 PM CDT
Personally, I'd think that capped players would be at an advantage when it comes to flare and equipment choices in general. It could be argued that their ability to have a much greater amount of silvers accumulated over their time spent playing than other level ranges. Which would lead to the ability to acquire the more rare flares. Either through auctions or using silvers to buy someone else's win. Albeit, this is just a small facet of the matter.

I would argue that capped players can control their hunting grounds. And that different types of flares are useful in the different areas. In warcamps I would imagine lightning, fire, and acid would be very useful. In Nelemar fire, lightning, and acid can be very useful. And yes, I said lightning. You just have to be smart with it. In the Rift and the Scatter I'd find fire, lightning, and acid to be very useful. Looking at it that way, then vibration would be the one that might be suggested to need "rebalancing".

If someone is adamantly not open to having their character hunt other things or other places at their level then it becomes more of a personal choice.

What makes GS so great, imo, is the variety of options there are. There are many ways to train professions and each have their advantages and disadvantages. It's best to take the good and the bad.

~Aulis
QC'er
Forums Manager
Re: flares 03/18/2012 10:52 PM CDT
Nah, fire is the clear winner at cap. Cold is good against water elementals, but that's it. Fire is good against everything and it has the potential for double flares. The rest have no incentives whatsoever.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: flares 03/19/2012 10:47 PM CDT
>The rest have no incentives whatsoever.

exactly. and the point I want to stress is that unless new development is done, they never will (for capped players).

still think I should have been allowed to change it seeing as it was only a few hours after I got my runestaff worked on. that's hardly game-breaking, and I spent what I consider to be a lot of premium points for it. I think a little leeway should be given.

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/20/2012 07:56 AM CDT
Being capped, you should have known what you hunt would be vulnerable to, flare wise. Since there 'are so few capped options'.. Flares are not new, for the most part. You made a decision. If you are not happy, sell the item or see if you can trade it for something you prefer over what you have now. Lower level characters hunting in various other areas might find it much more to their liking.
Re: flares 03/20/2012 11:41 AM CDT
i already admitted I made a mistake (why is irrelevant but lets just say I was crazy drunk). that's not the issue here. THAT issue I have taken up with feedback. I mentioned it only to let people know why I care about flares being unbalanced. my primary concern is the game balance per se, as per the folder.

the issue I'm trying to convince GMs of is that flares are unbalanced at cap. You disagree?

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/20/2012 11:51 AM CDT
"the issue I'm trying to convince GMs of is that flares are unbalanced at cap. You disagree?" -- Moredin

I'm not sure that I agree that elemental flares need to be 'balanced at cap'. I would agree that in the planning future capped hunting areas it would be great if the current elemental biases of existing capped hunting areas was taken into consideration.

Said differently, I wouldn't change the flares but I would consider making less utilized ones more useful in future area design.

-- Robert

Much to your horror, a devastating inferno of flaming rocks ignite the entire sky and smite the area!
Re: flares 03/20/2012 11:56 AM CDT
I actually don't have an issue with flares, pre-cap, or post-cap. My characters use various flares, as well.. including acid, fire, void, vibe, grapple, and others that I can't remember off hand. But no, I don't think flares are unbalanced at cap. Situational, yes. Unbalanced, no.
Re: flares 03/20/2012 01:18 PM CDT
Hopping in on a new topic to see if I can poke and prod people for some more interesting information!

>(Re: Adding bonus abilities to flare crits...) Fire - I think fire has plenty of advantages already.

What advantages does fire already have? Double critting a creature type? Some might argue that this is a property of the creature and not the damage type. Sure, it's a prevalent creature type... But in the future what if it wasn't? Suddenly fire crits is terrible because we balanced around something that wasn't even a property of fire itself?

>I wouldn't change the flares but I would consider making less utilized ones more useful in future area design.

This is certainly one way to handle issues like this, and a very valid solution. However, it presents some issues... The main issue being that there is no 'immediate' fix or even a fix that people would be convinced would ever happen.

>But no, I don't think flares are unbalanced at cap. Situational, yes. Unbalanced, no.

I'm curious to hear more about this. Situationally how? Can an argument be made for every flare type being better than all other types in situations that happen frequently enough to be worth considering?

If you had to choose only one flare type to be available for your capped characters, would it be an easy decision for you? Why or why not? Would the decision be the same for all of your characters?

Gamemaster Konacon
Squares Team
Re: flares 03/20/2012 02:22 PM CDT
>If you had to choose only one flare type to be available for your capped characters, would it be an easy decision for you? Why or why not? Would the decision be the same for all of your characters?

I already mentioned that I think fire is superior at cap, but I'll expand a little bit. Once you're past the bowels, there is no environmental danger in using fire flares. Liches in the Scatter are the only creatures immune to fire, but only half the time (liches can spawn as either "infernal" or "frostborne," with corresponding immunites). Fire and ice are the only two flares that have an extra effect on a capped creature. Cold flares have a slow effect on greater water elementals (which is quite nice). Fire flares, however, do extra damage to that same creature. Fire flares also have double crits versus trolls and halt their regeneration, which is of frequent benefit when fighting Grimswarm. The other flares don't do anything special, not even many of the uncommon ones (disruption, disintegration, etc.).

This is why I, as a ranger who eblades his own arrows, am attuned to fire.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Re: flares 03/20/2012 02:33 PM CDT
>"I wouldn't change the flares but I would consider making less utilized ones more useful in future area design." -- Faulkil

"This is certainly one way to handle issues like this, and a very valid solution. However, it presents some issues... The main issue being that there is no 'immediate' fix or even a fix that people would be convinced would ever happen." -- Konacon

For clarity, I don't believe there are any immediate fixes needed in this case.

In response to the last question on your post, if I had to choose one common flare type for my capped character (a wizard in this case) I would choose fire. It is indeed the most useful in my chosen hunting areas (Temple Nelemar and The Rift) and also one that fits the character. The decision might be different for other characters for either RP or mechanical reasons.

Lightning - My personal favorite but of limited usage in various areas due to reflection off water, igniting gas, etc.
Fire - Good all around functionality for my hunting areas, has some of the downsides that Lightning has (igniting gas) but not as many, situationally useful against stone critters when combined with cold.
Cold - Situationally useful against elementals and stone critters when combined with fire. Incredibly fun to use when hunting fire mages.
Earth - Situationally useful in gas areas. A good general flare for all areas I suppose. I had an gnome earth mage in Plat for a limited time and this was definitely his flare of choice (RP decision).
Air - I really haven't used these flairs enough to have an opinion.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Much to your horror, a devastating inferno of flaming rocks ignite the entire sky and smite the area!
Re: flares 03/20/2012 02:40 PM CDT
If you had to choose only one flare type to be available for your capped characters, would it be an easy decision for you? Why or why not? Would the decision be the same for all of your characters?

Yes it would be an easy decision. It'd be fire. Acid is a close second. The advantage fire has over grimswarm trolls is the primary reason. Have you ever tried to kill a capped troll warchief wearing plate with a bow after you've already taken out it's eyes and it didn't die? Hint they regen almost as fast as I deal damage, even with acid flares on every shot. Plus extra damage on greater water elementals. Acid is a close second because there is very little immune or resistant to it. Acid just works and it works well. If I could get my ebow changed to fire though I'd do it in a heart beat.

Keith/Brinret

Five Jewish men who influenced the history of Wester Civilization:
Moses said the law is everything.
Jesus said love is everything.
Marx said capital is everything.
Freud said sex is everything.
Einstein said everything is relative.
Re: flares 03/20/2012 03:31 PM CDT
>>This is why I, as a ranger who eblades his own arrows, am attuned to fire.

Droit<<

I may have read that as Droit is immune to fire and Tee Hee'd

Carry on.

~D
AIM: Delcian

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected." - TD

Seven stars in your cloak shine brightly, forming The Gryphon in the twinkling night sky.
Re: flares 03/20/2012 04:15 PM CDT
>If you had to choose only one flare type to be available for your capped characters, would it be an easy decision for you? Why or why not? Would the decision be the same for all of your characters?

Droit pretty much summed it up, but I'll reiterate this from a location standpoint. Someone let me know if I'm mistaken, but I'm only aware of 4 capped hunting areas: Rift, Nelemar, OTF, and Warcamps. The 'common' flares are Fire, Cold, Lightning, Vibration/Earth, and Acid. I suppose Bandit bounties could be a 5th area.

Nelemar:
Fire. It works in all situations, and in some instances, is more effective than the other flares. only other flare that has some advantage that it doesn't normally have is cold, which slows water elementals. but fire deals extra damage to them, and cold is ineffective against undead, which are also present in the area. so fire wins. lightning is ruled out for obvious reasons. acid and vibration have no advantages I'm aware of.

OTF:
all flares are equally effective to my knowledge, so the flare that has the most advantages elsewhere is the best choice for your capped character, in case you want to hunt elsewhere at some point.

Rift:
undead are susceptible to fire. acid also works well on undead, but only the corporeals. honestly, I don't have a lot of Rift experience so maybe someone else knows better, but it seems like fire wins out here too over the others. cold gets the shaft again as it doesnt work well on undead. lightning/vibration again have nothing for or against them.

Warcamps:
fire is the obvious winner here in troll warcamps. the other warcamps the flares are equal. but given that you can CHOOSE what warcamps to do, you could ALWAYS hunt trolls, if you wanted.

There are also smaller advantages that are independent of location, such as fire doing extra damage to webbed enemies. I can't think of any others right now.

hope that helps.

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/20/2012 09:31 PM CDT
It probably goes without saying, but we think these extra effects are cool and we like them. Please don't try to level the playing field by disincentivizing fire.

Droit

Re: flares 03/20/2012 10:11 PM CDT
Lightning. . . muwahahaha!

::glances around for Naos::

Doug
Re: flares 03/21/2012 09:05 AM CDT
Maybe the way to go is to suggest special affects for flares on a per critter basis? For example, maybe rift crawlers should take double flares from vibe flares. I don't know if that actually makes sense, it's just an example.

Or all the ithzir become more susceptible to lightning and OTF turns into a giant electric death dome.

That sort of thing...
Re: flares 03/21/2012 09:54 AM CDT
Acid should stop troll regen!

Keith/Brinret

Re: flares 03/21/2012 01:45 PM CDT
Answers below, response in general first. Given the current game direction which in the last five to ten years has steadily moved away from directly proportional effects to greater randomness (see % setoff spells like 115, 117 recasting, 240, open roll type Cman maneuvers, increased randomness in weighting and damage calculations), I think it is a good time to revisit flares. The entire system got a major downtweak back when we were moving away from crits and into attrition warfare (sometime before growing pains IIRC). Given the limitations on it; the need to contact first with a weapon, the random chance involved, the removal of any weighting (on weapons) or padding (on armor) and difficulty in enchanting, we are currently paying a high price for what is often very little effect.

There are some situations where the flares work well, but most players are going to invest in at most one very nice flared weapon. The niche value and limited level ranges when it really works well make it harder to justify spending treasure on that over something that works universally well across all levels. Right now the only flare types used over a wide spectrum of foes are those that happened to still have decent crits below the threshold imposed on the system when it got downtweaked. That is fire, lightning, acid, and vibe. If that wasn't good enough, two of them now kill you when used in three of the highest hunting grounds in the game (bowel-fire, parts of nelemar and OTF- lightning) Cold has the coolest crit messaging but you cannot see them on anything but a fire creature under the current system (unless you buy an immolator or other very expensive toy).

>Suddenly fire crits is terrible because we balanced around something that wasn't even a property of fire itself?

Fire still has passable death crits and more knockdowns than the other elemental types.

>Can an argument be made for every flare type being better than all other types in situations that happen frequently enough to be worth considering?

Not at the cap, anyway. In the case of steam I do not think it is ever better than any other elemental flare type.

Yes. Given no other limitations, I would take vibe without even taking time to consider. Nothing is immune to it, it crits better than most all the others (fewer knockdowns than fire and fewer nerves than lightning though), it never sets off environmental effects, and a major subset of foes are susceptible to it (stone creatures and golems that GMs love to drop in invasions) .I only have one capped character but the only other possible effect would be if I was still in GoS, in that case fire would be my choice for the ability to fight trolls more effectively.

Re: flares 03/21/2012 02:05 PM CDT
I would never put any standard flare on my main weapon because I require it to be blessable.
Re: flares 03/21/2012 02:20 PM CDT
>I would never put any standard flare on my main weapon because I require it to be blessable.

Good point, I often overlook that downside, playing a paladin. Add that to the negatives listed previously.

Re: flares 03/21/2012 03:20 PM CDT
>never sets off environmental effects

just want to be clear...there are no environmental effects to set off at cap, right?

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/21/2012 03:45 PM CDT
>just want to be clear...there are no environmental effects to set off at cap, right?

>Moredin

Lightning is the only problem at cap. There are maybe 3 or so wet rooms in OTF and all of the first floor of Nelemar. Rooms wet enough to reflect it on you. On the up side, nerving those darn seers before they dispell sure is nice.

Re: flares 03/21/2012 05:08 PM CDT
<< I would never put any standard flare on my main weapon because I require it to be blessable. >>

That's why I love those flares that you add to a weapon after you have blessed it. I think they were Ironwright flares or something like that. Great stuff. I get to have my cake and eat it too.

Josh
Re: flares 03/23/2012 12:50 PM CDT
Konacon, care to share your thoughts? Are you considering doing something about this? Don't usually get such a long post from a GM so I was curious. I understand Aulis' points about not judging flares based on one level range, but here's my argument as to why it DOES matter:

1. among those people who choose to get a common flare, fire is the overwhelming winner at cap.
2. because most people aspire to be at cap, they will try to plan for reaching that eventuality.
3. anything someone chooses to add a flare to, they most likely will plan on keeping/using that weapon forever; this is a rare merchant service and most people wouldn't get it on a weapon they don't use frequently. this is especially true with flares added via premium points.
4. therefore, even when you're not at cap, you'd still be inclined to choose fire if it's your primary weapon/runestaff, and you plan on using it at cap.

That said, I'll put aside the cap issue for a second:
it's possible to get from level 10ish (swamp trolls) to 68ish (troll kings) doing nothing BUT trolls. there is a gap in the 40s where you'd have to downhunt level 39 bog trolls and then uphunt tomb trolls at 52, but it's still doable! with sunfist access, obviously the range is 0-100.

does any other flare offer comparable "side-benefits" across such a wide level range even under the most optimal conditions? Even with a few fire-immune critters, I honestly think the answer is no.

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/23/2012 01:38 PM CDT
Sure! I'll try to share some of my thoughts on this topic!

Flares are very iconic in Gemstone. They've been around for a LONG time and because of Drake/Feras weapons, almost all players know about them and probably have some fond(as well as infuriating) memories involving them. While this technically doesn't actually mean anything regarding their power level, it does mean that making changes needs to be handled with care. Even the perfect change (If such a thing exists) to the current flare system would be met with resistance from a fair amount of people. By far, the most difficult part of changing the flaring system isn't the code, it's designing a change so fantastic that it is loved (and desired) by the majority.

Am I considering doing something about this? That's a very tough question to answer. There really isn't any mechanical system in ANY game that I think is perfect and couldn't use some work. So, that being said, would I like to at bring up flares in a meeting sometime and see what the rest of the Dev team thinks about it? Yes. Is it going to happen in the next week? No. Though this is mainly because I live in Thrown Weapons land right now, and I want nothing more than to deliver the review changes and a huge smile to everyone that's been waiting on them.

As for why I wrote such a long post... When I'm playing a game (Currently and in the past), I love it when designers give their thoughts about a topic as well as collect information from the players that have information they want to share. My goal right now is to find out if you all enjoy this sort of post, because if you do I'd love to keep them going as well as start new ones. Changes may or may not ever happen as a result of them, but I enjoy the discussions either way (And I do keep detailed notes of the things that are brought up).

All of this is why I asked for player information about flares at cap and all levels of play. Ultimately, the first step to making a change is determining if a change needs to be made.

Gamemaster Konacon
Squares Team
Re: flares 03/23/2012 01:57 PM CDT
>By far, the most difficult part of changing the flaring system isn't the code, it's designing a change so fantastic that it is loved (and desired) by the majority.

i figured the coding couldn't be too bad given the number of types of flares that have been released over the years.

>mainly because I live in Thrown Weapons land right now

that's great. I remember when I rolled a warrior YEARS ago and trained in thrown weapons because I thought it sounded cool, and some guy essentially said "thrown weapons don't even exist! silly noob". Reroll.... :(

>Ultimately, the first step to making a change is determining if a change needs to be made.

I can see a lot of GMs blowing this off. NEED is relative by definition. It doesn't absolutely have to be changed or gemstone will be broken, by any means. but I think this is something that could be done relatively easily (maybe an appropriate project for a new/training dev GM), and would go a long way with the players because, as you said, many people have exposure to, and use, flares, especially with the runestaff flares addition. and this number will continue to increase as more runestaff users get flares added to their weapons or go shopping for flaring runestaves.

Appreciate your thoughts...it gives me a lot of insight into how these things are approached behind-scences!

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/23/2012 02:04 PM CDT
Right now, I consider flares to be very inferior. They go off every fifth hit (with certain exceptions), and do very variable damage. Personally, I'd go with a crit or damage weighted weapon, where the extra special damage kicks in every hit.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: flares 03/23/2012 02:10 PM CDT
Flares are, however, more easily obtained since you can get them via premium points.

Also, with a runestaff being able to flare just from casting a spell of war now there is definitely something to be said for having that extra damage now and then.

Weighting has no real effect when on a runestaff, unless used in melee.

But honestly, who uses a runestaff in melee?

-GM Marstreforn-
(just call me Mars if you can't spell it)
Re: flares 03/23/2012 02:41 PM CDT
>>But honestly, who uses a runestaff in melee?<<

Let me see ... there was a warrior who claimed he was a mage, trained in THW and sued a runestaff in melee. Of course, he was delusional and psychotic. Oh yes, and my sorceress who trains in THW; has been known to deliver a coup-de-grace with her runestaff. Which, BTW, is clearly made to be used as a weapon, since it has lightning flares!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: flares 03/23/2012 02:46 PM CDT
Honestly Mascarpone the runestaff flares are seperate subject imo. Though I do agree that the trade off for weighting being generally superior is the rarity. You also have to acknowledge that low levels of weighting are not inherently better than flares. Flares are also preferable on smaller, faster weapons that aren't going to hit hard no matter how much weighting you put on them (unless you're an ambushing rogue).

Of the five main flares the only one that strikes me as highly inferior is Cold. The resistance of pretty much all undead to cold attacks makes these flares less than ideal. That said you wouldn't hear me complain if acid prevented troll regeneration in standard D&D fashion.

Keith/Brinret

Runestaff Flares was Re: flares 03/23/2012 03:28 PM CDT
Honestly Mascarpone the runestaff flares are seperate subject imo. Though I do agree that the trade off for weighting being generally superior is the rarity.

Of course, if weighted runestaves helped with bolt spells, like flared runestaves do....

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: flares 03/23/2012 03:51 PM CDT
>But honestly, who uses a runestaff in melee?

grimswarm shamans swing at 600 with 117 up....owwwiee

~Moredin
Re: Runestaff Flares was Re: flares 03/23/2012 03:54 PM CDT
>Of course, if weighted runestaves helped with bolt spells, like flared runestaves do....

weighted runestaves should just resist disarming better or something...heh. that doesn't make any sense but I can dream.

oh yeah that reminds me...forgot to say this in an earlier post, but every capped hunting area in the game disarms, right? so i guess it makes more sense to eblade a runestaff and use that.

~Moredin
Re: flares 03/23/2012 03:54 PM CDT
So what you are saying is that we should give the Grimswarm shamans a weighted runestaff! Got it!

Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

-GM Marstreforn-
(just call me Mars if you can't spell it)
Prev_page Previous 1