Scrolling 03/22/2017 07:29 AM CDT
I apologize if this has been covered before, I haven't been back long. So I installed the newest Avalon last night, and that did fix the font setting issue I was having above. However, new problem: I can't scroll back if there are new lines coming in without the window snapping back down to the new input. I guess it's good in terms of traveling, but last night I was in the middle of some of the storyline stuff and found I couldn't look back and read something if I'd missed it. Any thoughts on this?

-GK

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Scrolling 03/22/2017 09:20 AM CDT
>>Any thoughts on this?

I think there's a new setting - yep, here it is.

AVALON menu -> PREFERENCES -> TEXT -> Command Input Forces Scroll to Bottom of Main Window

Uncheck that, and as they say in France, violins everywhere!

Doug
Re: Scrolling 03/22/2017 09:21 AM CDT
Ah, and in fact I just did a little reading back and it looks like there is an option to turn the scrolling on/off. I'll check it out when I get back home, thanks for letting me repeat questions :)

-GK

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Scrolling 03/22/2017 10:57 AM CDT
That ... never fixed the problem for me, and was one of the reasons I stopped using Avalon.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Scrolling 03/22/2017 11:27 AM CDT
O ja, Luxelle? That is disheartening. I guess I could deal with the small fonts and go back to the old version. What are you doing instead of Avalon?

-GK

Re: Scrolling 03/22/2017 08:36 PM CDT
Doug (take a bow, Mister) helped me get SF working under Wine with Lich.

So I'm using SF for Luxie.

Newsby, on the other hand, runs Profanity, but Newsby doesn't shop, hunt, watch for songs that are about to kill her or pretty much anything. Profanity is very bare bones, and needs just a few more features for me to use for Luxie.

Maybe it'll work for you! Let me know :)

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Scrolling 03/23/2017 07:26 AM CDT
I'm going to have to, the option to turn off the return to the bottom of the screen doesn't work, I tried it numerous times and during the invasion/storyline stuff last night I missed out on a ton because I couldn't scroll back and see anything that had passed, which was enormously frustrating, I got killed and couldn't even look back and see what had gotten me. I guess I could look and see if I still have the older version of Avalon still saved, too.

-GK

Re: Scrolling 03/23/2017 09:43 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure Avalon also doesn't have a story window, or something that can separate chit-chat from everything else happening in a room. This kind of thing would be useful when stuff goes scrolling by. Several apps I can think of that have a scrolling window deal with it by pausing the scroll if the offset is not at 0 (bottom), and re-enabling it only when the user sets it to 0 again (dragging it, page down, end, etc.). I'm not positive but I think the other FEs work this way.
Re: Scrolling 03/24/2017 12:23 AM CDT
Yes, that return to the bottom of the screen AND the blinking windows when I focused on another window were the top two reasons I installed Wine and am running SF on my lovely new Mac last year. :(

---
Re: Scrolling 03/24/2017 07:19 AM CDT
It's pretty frustrating to have a couple of people whisper something to me in the middle of a storyline interaction and have to move a square out in order to read it and then move back over, as otherwise it vanishes too quickly in a crowd of screen scroll. It's a guarantee that I'll just miss more.

-GK

Re: Scrolling 03/30/2017 08:20 AM CDT
Thanks - I will look into improving the scrolling and also that font issue. Apologies for any inconvenience. That scrollbar has been a real thorn.

Ixix
Re: Scrolling 04/18/2017 01:13 PM CDT
Oh hi there! I hadn't looked over here since posting that last bit, and I wanted to make sure you know I wasn't complaining about your work, Ixix. I know you're putting in a lot of time for an FE that isn't used by more than a couple of handfuls of players, and I do appreciate it, it's worlds above the old bunch of nothing the Mac users had way back when. So thanks and sorry for the grumping :)

-GK!