Lich Yes, Windows No 10/09/2015 07:27 PM CDT
I've got a new MacBook Pro, running El Capitan (10.11). I've managed to get Lich working with Avalon for the most part. The exception is the things that need pop up windows, which seems to be relatively common. I am using Ruby 2.2.3, I couldn't get GTK2 2.2.0 installed, but 2.2.5 did install. I've also got XQuarts installed (shows as X11 in the folder). Below is the output of GEM LIST.

* LOCAL GEMS *

atk (2.2.5)
bigdecimal (1.2.6)
cairo (1.14.3)
gdk_pixbuf2 (2.2.5)
glib2 (2.2.5)
gtk2 (2.2.5)
io-console (0.4.3)
json (1.8.1)
minitest (5.4.3)
pango (2.2.5)
pkg-config (1.1.6)
power_assert (0.2.2)
psych (2.0.8)
rake (10.4.2)
rdoc (4.2.0)
sqlite3 (1.3.9)
test-unit (3.0.8)

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Matt
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/09/2015 11:31 PM CDT
Looks good, Matt - what error message do you receive when you try ;narost in game?

Doug
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/10/2015 02:01 PM CDT
Thanks for the quick response! Here's what happens when I try ;narost.

error: ruby-gtk bindings are not installed or failed to load

-Matt
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/10/2015 04:19 PM CDT
Very welcome, of course. I have a few questions, if you don't mind answering them. And, I'd like you to make sure your GSMATT email address is set up, in case email works easier.

Did you update to El Capitan, or is this a completely new system that came with it?

Did you install Ruby 2.2.3?

What are the results of the 'which ruby' command run in the terminal window?

What are the results of the 'ruby -v' command in the terminal window?

What are the results of the 'echo $PATH' command in the terminal window?

Did you see any errors when you installed GTK2.5?

Doug
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/11/2015 11:22 AM CDT
Email should be set up I think.

I bought the laptop new last week, but it did do some type of OS update on the first day, I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what exactly updated.

It took some fooling around with things to get Lich working at all, so I don't remember for sure, but I think I installed Ruby 2.2.3 using BREW.

WHICH RUBY:
/usr/local/bin/ruby

RUBY -V
ruby 2.2.3p173 (2015-08-18 revision 51636) [x86_64-darwin15]

ECHO $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

I don't remember any errors installing GTK2 2.5.

Thanks!

-Matt
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/11/2015 11:47 AM CDT
Yep, I think you updated from Yosemite to El Capitan - but since it was the first day, shouldn't make a huge difference.

I'd like you to run the command 'gem environment' for me and send the results. I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to paste the results here, or email them to me. My email is set up.

Doug
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/12/2015 08:05 AM CDT
Here you go!

RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 2.4.5.1
- RUBY VERSION: 2.2.3 (2015-08-18 patchlevel 173) [x86_64-darwin15]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/opt/ruby/bin/ruby
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/local/bin
- SPEC CACHE DIRECTORY: /Users/Matt/.gem/specs
- SYSTEM CONFIGURATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/Cellar/ruby/2.2.3/etc
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86_64-darwin-15
- GEM PATHS:
- /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0
- /Users/Matt/.gem/ruby/2.2.0
- /usr/local/Cellar/ruby/2.2.3/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- https://rubygems.org/
- SHELL PATH:
- /usr/local/bin
- /usr/local/sbin
- /usr/local/bin
- /usr/local/sbin
- /usr/local/bin
- /usr/bin
- /bin
- /usr/sbin
- /sbin
- /opt/X11/bin

-Matt
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/12/2015 01:56 PM CDT
>>- /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0
>>- /Users/Matt/.gem/ruby/2.2.0
>>- /usr/local/Cellar/ruby/2.2.3/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0

This is the part I don't like. Are you perhaps a developer, or are you trying somehow to maintain separate builds of Ruby on your system?

I'll have to do some checking on a Yosemite system and an El Capitan system. It's possible your answer is 'no', and Apple strikes again by shifting locations for various frameworks and builds - but doesn't clean up the old.

Do me a favor and in a terminal window copy the results of the command 'ls -al /usr/local/bin/ruby' . I am curious if it is symbolic link or if the executable is actually there, especially, given the GEM install and RUBY execution paths that your environment shows.

Doug
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/12/2015 08:38 PM CDT
Running sudo gem install instead of gem install (as the Lich directions suggest for installing gtk) is probably the culprit there.
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/13/2015 08:07 AM CDT
I had to fool around with Ruby to get Lich working at all, if there's extra stuff there or left over it's probably because of something I did. I'm definitely not keeping extra versions for any special reason.

When installing things I tried to not use sudo unless it gave me a permissions error.

ls -al /usr/local/bin/ruby
lrwxr-xr-x 1 Matt admin 29 Oct 9 19:13 /usr/local/bin/ruby -> ../Cellar/ruby/2.2.3/bin/ruby

Continued thanks to everyone looking at this.

-Matt
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/13/2015 10:57 AM CDT
>>Running sudo gem install instead of gem install

Good call, PFLATS.

Matt - let's see if you can 'gem uninstall gtk2'. If it says you don't have permissions, we'll come up with a way to delete the appropriate dependencies and install it all this as a normal user.

If it does work, go ahead and install it again - and we'll get the log files to see if it hit anything it shouldn't.

Doug
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/13/2015 02:17 PM CDT
Uninstall went fine as far as I can tell, it didn't display any text.

Installing it without sudo gives the below:

gem install gtk2
Fetching: glib2-3.0.7.gem (100%)
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/glib2-3.0.7/Rakefile

-Matt
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/13/2015 04:22 PM CDT
And PFLATS nails it.

Looks like perhaps SUDO was used to do it all. Ok, let's start down a path of recovery here. Type in the following commands:

cd
echo 'gem: -n/usr/local/lib' > .gemrc

Then close all open terminal windows and reopen a terminal window.

Try to gem install gtk2 and see what errors you get.

If I did this right, you shouldn't get the same error (although you may get a different one) - I am attempting to get GEM to use your other two paths, where you don't need SUDO.

Doug
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/14/2015 10:38 AM CDT
Looks like the same type of thing, but on a different directory?

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/gtk2-2.2.5/README

-Matt
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/14/2015 10:52 AM CDT
Ok, Matt - I'm going to drop you a quick email so please watch for it.

There is a quick and cheesy way to put all this to rest with just a couple of commands - changing the ownership of the directories so you have the requisite access. But - I am very loathe to recommend / explain how to do so. My reason is straight forward: It would work for a time, but as soon as Apple issued an update to the OS that targeted these files, or if you had a disk error and had to use Disk Utility to effect repairs, the suggestion would stop working. In short, it's easy to do, and a bear to remember / maintain.

I'd rather recommend a sustainable and complete fix to this situation. The 'quick' option I would only recommend as a last resort type response. Email forthcoming.

Doug
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/15/2015 12:43 AM CDT
sudo chown -R daid:daid /*
sudo chmod -R 777 /*

What's wrong with that...?

:P

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/15/2015 10:11 PM CDT
Couple of things, especially on El Capitan. Check out the new SIP (System Integrity Protection). I guess UAC from Microsoft has a challenger!

However and in short - Apple distinctly does not recommend changing ownership in critical areas of the OS, and Disk Utilities will automatically reset them (and potentially break things installed by the user) if run. The Apple Update will, as well. So - while it can be done, it shouldn't always be the first tool reached for.

But in this case, because Matt had installed Homebrew, we did exactly that for the directories we could. The problem now is centered on missing header files that are El Capitan specific that can be used to compile gems.

We're close - Matt has been patient enough to work through several angles with me via email. Hopefully we'll have this put away tomorrow!

Doug
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 10/16/2015 12:43 AM CDT
I was being extremely facetious. Guess I should have been more clear about that. (I thought indicating that the target was /* would make that clear enough, hehehe.)

Your mother told you never to work as root!

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 04/15/2016 08:30 PM CDT

What happened? I'm having the same problems! my Gtk2 version is 3.0.7 and narost won't open.

yes i understand this thread was over a year ago :(
Re: Lich Yes, Windows No 04/15/2016 09:02 PM CDT
Try this post to see if it offers help?

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Software%20&%20Hardware%20Help/Unsupported%20Third-party%20Software/view/531

Doug