Keyboard Problems 01/06/2012 02:48 AM CST
This is actually more a Mac question than Avalon, and I suspect that the answer will be that I am out of luck, but since I am very non-technicaly oriented, I thought I would post here in the slim hope that someone who knows more about computers than I do might have a fix.

I have always made frequent use of keypad macros--not just for movement, but for all of my characters I have them set to peer in each direction when I use the shift key and to crawl in each direction with the control key. Of course, my wizards also use them to give directional commands to familiars.

A couple of days ago my keyboard, which was getting very old and worn, started acting up, so I bought a new one. I prefer wireless keyboards and mouses for a number of reasons. However, it seems that Apple no longer makes a full wireless keyboard for the Mac. Their wireless keyboard is only the left side, with the letters, function keys, etc. It does not include a keypad. Of course, you can buy a bluetooth attachment with a keypad. It hooks on to the main wireless keyboard, and the whole thing put together looks pretty much the same as a full keyboard would.

My problem is that while the keypad works fine for movement, it does not (I assume because they are actually on separate devices, even though they hook together)recognize when I hold down the shift and control keys. That means I have lost my directional macros for peer and crawl, which is a real problem or me.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Or any thoughts on a fix? Or, as I suspect, am I just screwed if I want to keep the wireless keyboard?

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Keyboard Problems 01/06/2012 08:16 PM CST
Did you buy it from a place with a good return policy? I found the keyboard below on Amazon. You might be able to find it at your local electronics store if you prefer not to buy it online.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Solar-Keyboard-K750/dp/B005L38VRU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325901634&sr=1-2

It looks good, seems easy to set up, and has great reviews.
Re: Keyboard Problems 01/07/2012 10:40 PM CST
Thanks, Wyn. I guess this is the best option. I like the bluetooth because it frees up a USB port, but there are other ways to deal with that, I suppose.

Thanks again.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Keyboard Problems 01/08/2012 01:16 PM CST
I just looked up Bluetooth keyboards and none of them were highly rated. The best best was a Macally (Macally BTKey Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for Mac), but there were a number of reviews that said it was constantly losing the BT connection.

I hope things work out for you.