Prev_page Previous 1
Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/24/2017 01:48 PM CST
I posted a couple of questions over in V'tull's folder, and wound up asking a general question that Mourne thought (and I agree) would be better-suited for this area.

With some exceptions non-withstanding, Elanthian religion is notably different from our own, as there's no doubt that beings of great power exist and intersect/interact with our history and present. So rather than having questions about whether or not god/gods exist, theological debate comes down to whether or not the Arkati and the great spirits are divine, what power they truly have, and their spectrum of fallibility. These ideas seem to follow cultural boundaries, the Faendryl and the Dhe'nar having a much more practical/mentor-like relationship with them, and others have devoted vast organized religions to them, instead. Or somewhere in-between.

Who do your characters worship or uphold? Why did you choose them for your character(s)? Do you meet with other adherent characters in GS and perform rituals or social events? Do you hold to one of the less popular Arkati/spirits, and if so, do you seek out others, or perform your rites alone, and where?

Also, if any of you answer "Sheru," please seek out Ysharra in-game. She is very friendly and I solemnly swear wants nothing but your acquaintance.

-GK

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/24/2017 09:58 PM CST
First off... it seems like it's been a long time since we've had a good, philosophical discussion on these boards. I love those. So thank you for starting one.

>Who do your characters worship or uphold?
Fash'lo'nae. Raelee does not worship him. She views her following as purely philosophical. She does not believe worship is productive, nor that Fash'lo'nae actually desires it. Since she likes to arrange things into neat little logical frameworks... if Fash'lo'nae sees knowledge as the ultimate, singular goal, he won't be interested in that which he has nothing to learn from. Since she figures mortal prayers have nothing to teach him, thus he won't be too interested. (And historically... most of his direct interactions with mortals have not been benevolent - but rather treating them as rats in a maze. He grants knowledge when he wants to see what we'll do with us, not because he's invested in our education.) So, don't worship him. Be like him. Don't pray. Study.

>Why did you choose them for your character(s)?

OOCly? I don't remember...

No seriously. It was a long time ago!

ICly... I'm not sure if I've ever told that story. I don't think it was a big moment or a big revelation, but more a slow, steady adaptation once she discovered the philosophy. I think it created a logical and philosophical framework that made a lot of the pressures on her make sense. It created a new purpose for her direction in life, or at least a new excuse. "When I am only rewarded for excelling in knowledge and skill, it is reasonable to infer that knowledge is the only goal that matters. All others are secondary as they produce no results of value." Short version, maybe Raelee didn't get enough hugs as a child?

>Do you meet with other adherent characters in GS and perform rituals or social events?
Well... no. Raelee is pretty anti-social by nature. She doesn't play well with others. Granted, I've honestly never met a Fash'lo'nae follower that I'd describe as a social butterfly. Too much time with our noses in books... and we forget how to make friends. Though, with Raelee's worldview... Fash'lo'nae followers shouldn't be honoring him with rituals anyway. It's a pointless exercise and there's work to do.

In the past when there have been gatherings... it's been more Lornon-based than anything. I think that can be valuable... for a lot of followings, we don't have too many others to hang out with. (I can't actually remember the last time Raelee had a long chat with another Fash'lo'nae follower.) Not to mention, many of us work together fairly well. I do like a good lecture series.

It doesn't seem like there's been much plot-driven cause for Lornon to come together lately... so we, collectively, don't seem to have been hanging out much.

>Also, if any of you answer "Sheru," please seek out Ysharra in-game.
What's a Sheru? :)

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/24/2017 10:31 PM CST
Who do your characters worship or uphold?

The main worship for Pup is Imaera but he also views Kuon's story as one to live up to.

Why did you choose them for your character(s)?

In the beginning Pup gave thanks and prayers to various Arkati he felt blessed him with his ranger magic. Mostly Imaera and Phoen. I got a bug to read the website on all the gods and fell upon Kuon and fell in love with his story so I slowly worked it into the RP for Pup. I saw the tapestries in Imaera's Shrine in the Landing Area and that story of Imaera protecting the children from war resonated with who Pup was and he threw his focus of worship to her. On top of that, the many instances throughout the years with Kenstrom stories where Imaera directly spoke to Pup (and at times others too) solidified it for Pup.

Do you meet with other adherent characters in GS and perform rituals or social events?

I have met several players that follow Imaera in dfferent ways. Always have been fun and a good source of RP and once with the forest gnomes Pup did get involved in a ritual that helped purify the water in the lake by Imaera's Shrine

Do you hold to one of the less popular Arkati/spirits, and if so, do you seek out others, or perform your rites alone, and where?
Kuon and I have no idea if any other player has a PC that follows him. Pup follows his example in his time in the shrine taking care of the plants there. He finds it an honor to be able to use healing herbs as its told it was Kuon's idea. After he is done with his term of Mayor, Pup plans to make a trip to the destruction that is Talador to follow Kuon's example to plant new plants and tend to the land for a period of time.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/25/2017 09:58 AM CST
Funnily enough, my one character that worships a god actually worships Sheru - he's Adustusi in game.

OOCly I chose Sheru for him because I ultimately wanted a Bane Cleric and, out of all the Lornon Gods, Sheru's pretty awesome and I like the jackal symbolism.

ICly, Adustusi is very much respectful of how potent fear is and how it shapes life. He believes fear needs to be respected, but it can be a great motivator for good things - fear that is overcome becomes courage, etc. He also suffers from nightmares and it was the main reason why he turned to Sheru - to understand them. (He does have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with coffee, however, in an attempt to stay awake and away from rather vivid nightmares - he has a bit of a complex in that respect. Worships Sheru but tries not to dip too deeply into it.)

He's a fairly new alt, so I haven't had much time to explore all the nuances or speak to other Sheru worshippers or consider his rites/worship.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/27/2017 12:43 PM CST

I think worship might be too strong of a word for Kayse. She follows Aeia though--seeks guidance and appreciates the same things Aeia does (protecting River's Rest and the citizens of it). After the Talador incident, I wrote a short story based on Kayse coming to terms with what happened and asking Aeia for forgiveness/guidance. Before this, which Kayse will be telling tonight at 8PM EST in the small park (shameless plug) is the story about how Kayse finalized/came to terms with her beliefs. She finds worship/rituals...awkward and unnatural and would rather show her faith in Aeia by leading a better life, standing for what Aeia believes in and adopting those values.

IC-Kayse is very protective of her home, River's Rest. She admires Aeia because she always seems to look out for the citizens and the town. A lot of the decisions leading up to Aeia were all RP driven. At one point she almost became Onarian actually--and I forget what the changing point was where she didn't.

OOC-Kayse has been dramatically changing from when I made her in '07 to when I returned three short years ago. Besides L'Naere though, Aelotoi didn't have a lot of exposure to the Gods (I'm assuming) until they came through the portal. Kayse following Aeia turned out to be a lot of IG RP leading to that decision that happened very organically. From finding out about the shrines, to the green sapphires, to the visions Kayse had last July. Kayse has always been about having purpose and a reason to do things--so maybe she thought picking a deity at first would help her serve a better purpose?

>Do you meet with other adherent characters in GS and perform rituals or social events?

Kayse actually assisted (kind of took the lead on--which was hysterical considering her outlook on religion at the time) the unity service a group of players put together during the "Eyes of the Dawn" storyline. At this time she wasn't really outward about having a patron, but she was trying to represent her home through the goddess she followed. Otherwise, Kayse is rather private about that type of thing. She's struggling to find out what exactly it means to follow a diety.

>Do you hold to one of the less popular Arkati/spirits, and if so, do you seek out others, or perform your rites alone, and where?

Aeia followers are very rare it seems especially since her followers are kind of limited to a geographic location. I know of one person on the message boards who's cleric follows her and then Kayse has a friend who worships her as well. I don't see her actually performing any ceremonies besides Kayse hoarding green sapphires and offering them to Aeia at her shrine in River's Rest.

~Kayse's figment of her imagination.

Some townspeople wander by, looking twice at Kayse and Rowmi, shaking their heads, then wandering off.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/27/2017 03:16 PM CST
Most of my characters don't make religious rite a central focus of their lives. Some are more influenced than others by this Arkati or spirit or that, but for the most part I tend to keep things subtle or at least not-overt... unless they're a cleric or otherwise land eyeball-deep in religion-related altercations like the GSS.

Of my characters with actual convert status, my (largely shelved) cleric is devoted to Cholen, my empath-turned-ranger is bound to Mularos (or, more accurately, a Tehir variation) and has a side reverence for Jastev and Gosaena, my definitely-knows-no-spells non-wizard has a solid appreciation for Fash'lo'nae, and my namesake empath has a tie to Andelas and a notable respect for the Huntress.

I've also always wanted to do something with Amasalen and Jaston, but those don't have traction yet.

Cholen: I am a whimsical creature and laugh loud and often. This one resonated with me, the player, due to humor and gender bending. At the time, there wasn't much on the wiki for Cholen-related clerical messaging and I wanted to see what it was, so I rolled one. The character had a fun personality but it turns out I'm not too keen on CS casters as a playstyle, mechanically.

Mularos: I blame some of this on being young and involved in the local goth scene at the time the character was rolled/first few years of play. The character's philosophy on pain was/is a little off-kilter (part of her philosophy on balance), but empaths, man, they're all a little warped. She's also my most special-snowflake-and-tropey in appearance and backstory, enough so that I kind of cringe to think about it now. Jastev comes into it for more goth personality reasons, as well as divination, Gosaena comes into it for silence/neutrality and divination.

Fash'lo'nae: This character is a scholar and had/has some questionable morality (and sanity). Somewhat like Raelee's description, he doesn't so much actively worship as have a resonance and an appreciation. Mostly I started out just wanting his 308 messaging and manufactured some childhood influences from there.

Andelas: The character was raised on the road by a ranger and I imagine them most at home in forests and countryside. This one is also more resonance than active worship, touching on the darker side of the wild. The Huntress appreciation is similar, a kindred Spirit of the wilds and the hunt.

Rarely to never. For most, because active worship/religious activities aren't really in line with how they want to spend their time, their spiritual attachments are more lifestyle choices than socially-oriented practices.

My Cholen cleric might have if the opportunity had arisen when I was playing them actively, but I knew no other Cholen followers at the time aside from the odd bard.

My Mularosian is probably my most nuanced and had the most play on the religious stage, due to her involvement in the Griffin Sword Saga as part of the Dark Alliance. She likely would have largely kept it to herself and only discussed it in the context of philosophy and cultural exchange if she hadn't gotten sucked into actively working to do Bad Things(tm) while rationalizing it away as part of her keeping the balance. As such, she ended up in some ritual harm situations with other player characters that made for some interesting roleplay scenarios, but they were always initiated by someone else, sometimes well in advance, sometimes off the cuff with my character playing support/hands on for someone else's idea. The ones she initiated were always solitary endeavors, or were offscreen story vignettes and didn't involve actual players. Because I am a recluse with lots of social and performance anxiety. ;)

>Do you hold to one of the less popular Arkati/spirits, and if so, do you seek out others, or perform your rites alone, and where?

Some of those I've named are probably not terribly popular or don't have a loud active following. The rare times my Andelas-follower pays any homage, it's at the Andelas temple in Solhaven, or just out in the woods somewhere, and isn't something they look for company in (and would probably actively avoid it).

I'd be curious to hear the form some characters' personal devotions take and how they're expressed onscreen or off, like Kayse mentioned with the offering up green sapphires to Aeia. Little specifics like that are neat to read about.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/27/2017 06:52 PM CST
Clunk here:

<Who do your characters worship or uphold? >
Clunk follows the path of Eonak. Work the forge, fight undead. Clunk has also had face-to-face encounters with the Arkati, and with drakes. Because of this, and because he has adopted the work ethic of Eonak, he does not regard them as gods. He regards the powers they have as the fitting and just reward resulting from years and years of dedication to their path, whatever it may have been. The were not preselected, they earned it in some way or another.

And like this regarding Fash'lo'nae
So, don't worship him. Be like him. Don't pray. Study.

Only that for Eonak, it is better said
So, don't worship him. Be like him. Don't pray. Work.

<Why did you choose them for your character(s)?>
Dwarf, fighter, weaponsmith. Clunk was chosen by Eonak, or maybe the path Eonak follows chose them both.

<Do you meet with other adherent characters in GS and perform rituals or social events?>
At one time, long ago, yes, we had fairly regular social events at Eonak's temple in Zul Logoth. notables were the weapon showings, where Sorrow and the Dwarven runeblades were shown.
We also held Eonak services, and occasionally tours of the temple.
Clunk regularly makes offering of iron at Eonak lake when he is in the Landing. In fact, he can be annoying to hunt with because of his insistence that iron boxes are intended for Eonak, preferably to be placed in the Lake unopened.
Iron boxes are offered in other places, and sometimes he will borrow empties and fill them, just to remind Eonak he has not forgotten, but just, maybe, been busy working or fighting undead.
When major events are occurring, and folks are having trouble puzzling things out, he may spend sometime alone, praying, and maybe making an offering and a request for guidance or a sign.

<Do you hold to one of the less popular Arkati/spirits, and if so, do you seek out others, or perform your rites alone, and where??>
Clunk carries with him reminders of various other Arkati, and may often say farewell in the manner "May Eonak bless your blade", sometimes with the additional "May Tonis guide your path". He never has performed rites, but has participated in many. He has been first hand observer to signs from Ronan in Zul, Eonak in Zul, and face-to-face smiting from Eorgina. There's probably others over the years.

Clunk wears most of his memories on his person in one form or another, etchings, embroidery, or just plain old sketches. Catch him sometime when he is wearing his full plate or half plate. The more memorable scenes are etched onto his armor, and he loves to tell the stories of them.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/28/2017 01:17 AM CST
<<Who do your characters worship or uphold? Why did you choose them for your character(s)? Do you meet with other adherent characters in GS and perform rituals or social events? Do you hold to one of the less popular Arkati/spirits, and if so, do you seek out others, or perform your rites alone, and where?>>

Xorus is essentially an occultist, so what he does is his religion. He has heterodox views on most theology. For example, he rejects the idea that "the Arkati" were ever slaves to the Drakes, regarding them as obviously more powerful than the dragons. He would tell you Elves did not regard the dragons as gods in the Age of Darkness, but that they did regard the Arkati that way, and that the human theologies on this point grew out of misinterpretations of flawed Elven arguments against divinity.*

One way this might present itself is the case of Koar. The Drake's Shrine on Mount Aenatumgana would be interpreted by some as proof that Koar is the Emperor Drake. Xorus regards it as proof that the Koar theology is a syncretic plagiarism of dragon myths, and that they largely let us believe whatever we want because they draw power off us. In his opinion they are all self-conscious essence nodes with two-dimensional personalities, some ascended spirits of this world and others extra-planar in origin. Generally, he believes the Liabo gods are more closely originated, and the peace only exists because they are more powerful overall than the Lornon gods.

Anyway. He was born into a secretive Ur-Daemon cult, which does not "worship" the "Old Ones" per se. They are Dark Elven supremacists who regard themselves as separated conduits of "the primordial daemons" who are dormant or "dreaming", never truly dead, wishing to wake them back up to return the world to a higher stage of being. So it is a nihilistic, fanatical anti-religion, ordered around collecting powerful ancient artifacts and forbidden knowledge. This was partly inspired by the fact that there is a great deal of Lovecraft in the oldest parts of the game and I've long suspected that is why it was spelled "daemon" in the first modern history document.

- Xorus' player

>* Specifically, the pre-historical Elves asked why their gods allowed the dragons to terrorize them, and did not protect them in the Ur-Daemon War. Supposedly they discovered the slain body of an Arkati and concluded it is because they are not truly gods. His argument is that their understanding of magic was too primitive to know that the avatar of a deity is destructible, but that this does not at all imply the deity is not immortal, and that the religious apologists would take this flawed premise of corporeal mortality to assume the dragons were more powerful and that the gods were mere servants who were sent away by their more powerful masters. His contrary explanation is that it is impractical for them to directly exert themselves from the moons, and the Ur-Daemon were projecting their power through surface portals.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 01/28/2017 04:56 PM CST
<Who do your characters worship or uphold?

Radeek is a follower of Phoen. However, he also has a very strong affinity for Goseana, due to certain things that happened in his past. He has always held a special place in his heart for the Grey Lady and I've even gone so far as to consider converting him to Goseana, but I never did. Radeek considers himself to be a very poor follower of Phoen, his own past is so troubled and riddled with darkness that he could easily be considered by most to be a follower of one of the deities of the pantheon of Lornon. During Cross Into Shadows Radeek even went so far as to believe that Phoen had deserted him as penance for his past; it was indeed a very troubling time for him.

<Why did you choose them for your character(s)?

I chose Phoen for Radeek upon his creation (it just felt right I guess); and early in his life he was actually a much more passionate and pious follower of the Lord of Light. Many years ago, in the time of the Griffin Sword Wars, the Lady Charna even bestowed upon him a set of prayerbeads attuned to Phoen, he was that devout in those days; some even called him "the Ranger of Phoen". Circumstances changed all that and now I play him more as having fallen from grace, so to speak. Basically, he's waiting for that big fireball from the skies to immolate him as punishment for his "less than pious" deeds.

<Do you meet with other adherent characters in GS and perform rituals or social events?

I have never gathered with any of the few followers of Phoen that are left in the lands, nor have I ever performed any rituals, other than those Radeek holds completely alone in Phoens temple in Solhaven. He actually goes there quite frequently, especially during times of trouble or when he seeks guidance; when you see Rad in Solhaven, he's there to pray.

<Do you hold to one of the less popular Arkati/spirits, and if so, do you seek out others, or perform your rites alone, and where?

I have a few other characters who follow some of the lesser deities, and I have even considered "The One" as a possible candidate for a chosen deity (I love that particular bit of GS lore), but I have never met with other people.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

www.radeekandoran.blogspot.ca
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 02/02/2017 10:24 AM CST
Thank you all for your answers, it's been a great pleasure to read. I was already well aware of the creativity of my fellows and the responses did not disappoint. I figured I'd answer my own questions and then ask a new one, if you all are game for continuing or adding to the discussion.

Ysharra comes from a barbarian culture of humans who escaped elven slavery when the Shadowguard fell. Over the millennia, they lost the Arkati pantheon with the exception of V'tull, due to having a cultural origin story of him freeing them from the shattered Vaalorian forces. When she came to the Landing, she met and bonded with her Faendryl relatives and her religious beliefs went from a typical lust for conflict and survival into a more nuanced appreciation for chaos. This leaves her out of sorts with the few other V'tullian adherents, but being a half-elf who is mostly despised or ignored by both sides her heritage this is not an unusual status for her.

Mourne, your response concerning your Mularosian's experiences during the Griffin Sword Saga were very familiar! Ysharra met Alisaire innocently enough at the porch some years ago, and then they wound up locked up together in a merchant's backroom, having a whispered conversation that resulted in Ysharra deciding this was her person and she was going to spend most of the rest of her life keeping up with this strange, circumspect Dhe'nar. Over the next few months, just like your character, she started getting recruited into Doing Bad Things and then improvising Even Worse Things in a weird attempt to justify her actions with her own morality. The end result has Ysharra much closer to a zealot then I ever thought I'd play, though nowadays with the GSS lost and the followers scattered, she's trying to figure out what's next. She spent most of her early life as property, and her later years as a reluctant sadist. I haven't even figured out what she is now, as I've never really decided if her loyalty is to V'tull or to her friends in the Alliance, and then what she is when most of both are absent.

Now, for the questions- are there any Arkati/spirits/specific theology that your character is opposed to? Is it based on conflict/background with another character and your interactions with them? Are they afraid of any of them? Xorus' take on the belief structure is fascinating, as it places the mortal races in a reciprocal relationship with the Arkati, though perhaps not quite in the way most of them envision. If you put that in front of my question about opposition, is that part of their power, too? Drawing from our conflicts with one another, and thus the materialistic winners and losers unimportant? Would that be why Koar has a standing order for them not to fight one another directly, as it would run counter to what they'd get for letting us do it for them?

-GK, curious as always

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 02/02/2017 01:42 PM CST
>I haven't even figured out what she is now, as I've never really decided if her loyalty is to V'tull or to her friends in the Alliance, and then what she is when most of both are absent. -GK

Yeah, that resonates. My Mularosian went a little nuts after the GSS ended and most of her support people weren't around to keep her stable anymore. Spent ten years in a haze of madness (read: tried to figure out what was next and didn't really latch onto anything so just played up the instability) and has only recently regained some focus and is basically doing penance for the next however long(read: wrote an offscreen vignette of her going home for guidance to explain a reroll/profession change).

I miss the character sometimes, but I like my largely atheist, shady, anti-establishment thug much better these days. Altoholism is a sickness.

>Now, for the questions- are there any Arkati/spirits/specific theology that your character is opposed to? Is it based on conflict/background with another character and your interactions with them? Are they afraid of any of them? -GK

For my Mularosian, Luukos. Obviously, she's worked with followers in the past, and has/has had an uneasy respect for them as individuals, but finds Luukos, lies, and the mockery and corruption of undeath to be entirely revolting both physically and spiritually. Her involvement with them has been reluctant (and part of what she's doing penance for in her own mind). Its origin is somewhat arbitrary, the aversion just felt right for the character and has colored her development and interactions with PCs and NPCs over the years. Made for some amusing-to-me mychars and inner conflict during the GSS.

She's afraid of all higher powers, really, including her own patron, as well as the Liabo ones that are mostly portrayed in a benign light. Attention from any power is invitation for disaster, so she won't use their names for fear of their notice.

>Xorus' take on the belief structure is fascinating, as it places the mortal races in a reciprocal relationship with the Arkati, though perhaps not quite in the way most of them envision. If you put that in front of my question about opposition, is that part of their power, too? Drawing from our conflicts with one another, and thus the materialistic winners and losers unimportant? Would that be why Koar has a standing order for them not to fight one another directly, as it would run counter to what they'd get for letting us do it for them? -GK

Now that's a fascinating speculation that fires the imagination. This is giving me food for thought on just -why- the aforementioned thug is distrustful and uneasy about higher powers.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 02/03/2017 11:57 PM CST
For what it is worth the Arkati have admitted in game that worship makes them more powerful. Their natures being shaped by outside factors and "spheres of influence" has been part of the gods lore since the mid-90s (e.g. Eorgina "draws strength wherever one being dominates another.") For example, the original gods document hypothesizes that the Lornon gods became malevolent because of Lornon, which in the pre-modern history (I.C.E. Age) was always a demonic gate world.

On the other hand, I get somewhat hazy on what is officially true, and what has kind of gotten outmoded over time. It is not as though the various gods lores are remotely self-consistent. Xorus can be militantly agnostic about what we actually know about them, and he tends to refer to them as "idiot savants who spend little time together because they have nothing in common with each other, and the few who do are either servants or at each other's throats." Last night he told Lylia they are like human children who become prodigies after being kicked in the head by a mule: singular talents with monomania, a great deal of vanity, and emotional immaturity.

Eorgina says, "I have discovered a connection with my followers that has surpassed even my expectations."
Eorgina says, "It seems, perhaps, that your faith has added to my power."

The view that Xorus takes is that "unholy" power with the dark gods and undead originates ultimately in the demonic, which in its purest form is antithetical to the nature of the Arkati. So if you wear the skin of an Ur-Daemon (e.g. the shroud from the Red Dreamer storyline) you are cut off from the Arkati entirely. He regards the Lornon gods as corrupted to varying extents by it. He sees Marlu as something like a junkie in that way, trying to loosen portals and find things in ancient crypts. And he basically wants to kill all of them except to the extent they are willing to comply with the new world order when the cult manages to bring back the Ur-Daemon.

While he might reject the idea that the moon gods were servants of the dragons, because the Elven religion documents give grounds for interpreting that as historical revisionism, he would acknowledge that when the dragons were the dominant power on the world the nature of the gods was likely inordinately influenced by them. Perhaps even to the extent that they had to cede authority to the drakes on the surface of the planet, similar to the I.C.E. Age lore where they had no practical choice but to allow autonomy to local gods. So he would reject the creation myths of Arkati as spirit offshoots of Drakes, but would not reject it having a grain of truth.

- Xorus' player

>Level: 46
>Strongest foe vanquished: an infernal lich
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 02/13/2017 07:46 AM CST
What a great discussion!

Alisaire's patron is Luukos. She takes the overt approach that she learns from him as a q'hala from a misri - a student from a master of the Dhe'nar philosophy - and as such still adheres to the tenants of the Way. I like to keep it fairly ambiguous as to whether or not that really is the case. After all, there was a fairly hefty deal and no small amount of coercion that led to this outcome.

Originally, Alisaire was mildly curious in several Arkati though she never considered the potential to follow them in any capacity, be it as patron or as a god. Game circumstances led her to Luukos specifically around 2002 - coinciding with the prelude to the GSS. Ironically, it was a (positive and helpful) discussion with a high priest of Lorminstra that encouraged her to petition Luukos on a matter of death and, well, death.

Prior to her association with Luukos, her strongest interest was with the Huntress. She sought out representatives of the three gods of Death, and while ultimately she petitioned Luukos, she still has a strong affinity for Gosaena - and no real animosity toward Lorminstra. She likewise holds Jastev and his chosen in very high regard. Over the years, she's become incredibly appreciative of Sheru though she actively refrains from representing him (or his Order) in any official capacity. If it were possible to select a secondary conversion status, Sheru would be the one most appropriate for her.

Ronan is the only Arkati against whom she harbors any true animosity, and it is of a highly personal nature. Secondary to him are Voln and, ironically, Mularos. Everyone else she is either ambivilent toward or appreciative of.

As much as I personally love seeing how rituals are portrayed, Alisaire really sucks at them. The whole concept of ritual is fairly strange to her, though she has come to greatly appreciate its role in how it impacts those participating or attending. The idea of participating or leading a rite can be a stressful point for her in many ways, least of which being the whole "how do I rite" question.

By and large, the most prominent way she upholds any sort of active show of her patronage is in her gradually developed role as Walker of the White Scales. While she is a recognized member of her Order, it was never in the role of priest - or of defender/paladin archetype. Her true rituals and weapons are her words, and it's been very fun to embrace this concept. In many ways, it hearkens back to the idea of a crossroads demon - lurking in the background and whispering a hint or two of What Could Be, then suddenly there when called (consciously or unconsciously) to offer a deal. It's only your soul at stake.

When possible, I enjoy supporting or collaborating with other Luukos-aligned individuals, or others of similar affinity. This is especially true when "sealing the deal", as it were. Hadya has always been a pleasure to work with.

>Xorus' take on the belief structure is fascinating, as it places the mortal races in a reciprocal relationship with the Arkati, though perhaps not quite in the way most of them envision. If you put that in front of my question about opposition, is that part of their power, too? Drawing from our conflicts with one another, and thus the materialistic winners and losers unimportant?

Over the years, I've started to really subscribe to this line of thought. Reading through the Malazan Book of the Fallen has actually helped expand on it even more, and some aspects of that have started to come out in how I play Alisaire and others. In particular, it has helped cement why she focuses on Luukos as a patron for study, given his control over multiple domains, expansion into numerous valences, and the fact that of all the three gods of Death, he (to her) appears to have the strongest and most expansive influence.

---

I like to incorporate Arkati alignment with most of my characters, though it's rarely the sole or even primary focus. It's fun to use as defining another aspect or three.

My Faendryl sorceress sees Tonis as her patron but almost never invokes or references him. He is a personal symbol of freedom for her.

My Loenthran ranger is resolutely aligned with Andelas and likewise refrains from public mention of this aspect. Instead, he practices the art of the hunt in his engagements with others, taking his enjoyment from that interplay itself.

My half elf paladin is unconverted and firmly opposed to any idea of Arkati worship. His is a bitter world view that perceives religion as yet another form of slavery and merely a means to force mortals into contrary roles against their own choosing. Don't even get him started about the subjugation of demons by summoners.

My human mage is also unconverted, although that is largely because she doesn't (yet) have a strong affinity toward any Arkati specifically or any group generally. I'm looking forward to seeing how that changes over the years.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 10/29/2017 06:29 AM CDT
I'm picking this up rather late, but the topic interests me. I hope that joining in the discussion is all right.

My Volnite rogue is in the middle of a spiritual crisis. He had a rather respectful attitude toward the Liabo Pantheon and a reluctant liking for Fash'lo'nae until Caligos Isle, where he was terrified by visions of the past, screams that might be happening now or long ago, mist that ate blood, mana and strength, and creepy worshipers of Ghezresh who seem to have lost their memories and/or their identities. Moreover, the island seems to have been drowned at least once by Charl, while Ghezresh is presenting himself as a savior. He has no doubt that the Caligots believe Ghezresh to be good, though Ghezresh seems dangerous and deceptive to him. But that then begs the question--how does he know that any of the Arkati are good, rather than deceivers? Why would Charl drown the island? Just to punish the inhabitants for forsaking his worship? But people convert from one faith to another all the time, and they aren't killed for it.

He is also bothered by the nedum vereri. In practical terms, they're a good hunting target for him, being undead and stunnable. But...they were once people, and unlike the ghouls, ghoul masters, mummies, wraiths, and revenants, the nedum vereri LOOK like people most of the time. He wonders why Oleani did not save them from undeath. If she wanted them to be undead as some sort of punishment, wouldn't that make her evil? But if she didn't wish for this and yet they were pulled into undeath despite her wishes, wouldn't that mean she was extremely weak...too weak to be considered either god (childhood training in the Human Empire) or patron (which he has gathered is the common elven attitude)?

He is wrestling with this in private, chiefly because he knows no one who would be willing to discuss the matter. He is troubled, though, and feels as if he is betraying Lorminstra (who keeps bringing him back to life in exchange for offerings; he knows that she's real--too real too spurn) and the monks of Voln, who genuinely believe the best of the Liabo Arkati.

My monk is half-Krolvin and does not worship any of the Arkati, though she is willing to make offerings to Lorminstra in exchange for resurrections. However, she regards such offerings as a business deal, not as genuine worship.

If she could, she would worship Khar'ta of the Three Faces and Czag'herndra, the Starbringer, as well as her klinast's patron, who I think is the Nurturer (their emblem is a stylized leaf). Unfortunately, while I can RP such worship by making up ceremonies, non-Arkati deities aren't available for CONVERT.

My cleric chose to become a cleric after her husband perished at the hands of the Grimswarm. She found him, but she could not heal or resurrect him. Determined that no one else should ever suffer such a loss, she gave up everything, including her infant daughter whom she gave to relatives), to take up her current profession. She has not yet adopted a patron, though I'm leaning toward Jastev.

My sorceress is my attempt to play a character who is relatively dark. She might end up as a follower (certainly not a worshiper) of Andelas, Ghezresh, Fash'lo'nae, Sheru, or Marlu. At this point, however, she is undecided. She does not feel this is important, as she believes that she needs to gain far more power before any of them would be interested enough to speak to her, let alone strike a bargain that would be profitable to both.

Well, I'm in the process of choosing for the cleric and sorceress. Those haven't been determined yet. I'm trying to determine who both of them are more strongly before I pick deities for them. Jastev, however, suits the cleric's somber temperment and interest in art. And the Lornon deities I mentioned would be interesting (some more dramatically than others).

As for the monk, I chose deities that seemed to work better with her heritage than the Arkati do. The worship hasn't gone very far as I don't know much about the gods of the half-Krolvin or what's been established in-game.

The rogue's crisis of faith was completely unintentional. It just happeneed.

I don't know of anyone who performs rituals in-game, sorry.

Who are the less popular Arkati/spirits? And as mentioned, I don't know anyone who performs religious rites in-game.

>Also, if any of you answer "Sheru," please seek out Ysharra in-game. She is very friendly and I solemnly swear wants nothing but your acquaintance.

Where can Ysharra be found, as a rule? I ask because while the sorceress would be intrigued by a Sheruvian, most of my characters are very young (at 17th level, the rogue is the highest; the others are around the 5 to 7 range) and aside from said rogue, none of them have much in the way of climbing or swimming skills yet.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/11/2017 08:19 PM CST
I'm confused about this perception that following is not a form of worship. What do people think worship is? All "following" is a form of emulation, and what is emulation if not the actual literal assumption of the godform as it has been regarded throughout the entirety of human evolution?

Why Elanthians would have this peckish preference for "worship" vs. "following" is beyond me. It strikes me as a out of character hangup surrounding anti-monotheism and Enlightenment era ideas (atheism and secular rights.)

*~Omni Exeunt in Mysterium~*
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 01:07 AM CST
Given that some cultures in Elanthia expressly view the Arkati as mentors, patrons, or exemplars rather than gods, I think it's entirely believable that characters would make a distinction between following and worshiping. A Faendryl character, for example, might feel a strong affinity for Eorgina or Fash'lo'nae and consider herself a follower inasmuch as she emulates them, but she does not worship these Arkati as gods -- she doesn't pray to them or expect their intercession on her behalf, nor does she believe in their divine nature. That's not an OOC attitude but one that's very much in line with the official documentation that states "The Faendryl are a nation of atheists":

https://gswiki.play.net/History_of_the_Faendryl

The Dhe'nari Way is similarly designed to view the Arkati as different from them in degree but not in kind. Plenty of other characters might incorporate a disbelief in the divinity of the Arkati as an individual tenet even as they follow a given Arkati.

Makes total sense to me, and it feels like more than merely a semantic difference.

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 11:47 AM CST

I have to track down the link of logs but the Ethantian Conclaive was a week long set of events that wrapped around discussions of worship of arkati. It is very diverse in documentation and in rp. My advice is to do what you want with your rp. Pups rp of a follower of imaera is a bit different then most. He alzo gives hiz prayers to many other dietes based on the type of prayer despite beimg a devotee of imaera. Why ask imaera for a safe sea voyage when that should go to charl?

Just as diverse are the players views. Its not right or wrong...just their rp. If i can find the link to the logs i will post it as it may give some insight into some views here.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 12:14 PM CST

Here is the link. http://www.sphereandscythe.com/

Just click on history
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 12:41 PM CST
In Leafi's case she follows not an Arkati, but the lesser spirit Tilamaire, who was once mortal according to the lore. (This is true of some others too like, say, Jaston or the Huntress.)

That being the case, what solidified her stance on the Arkati as patrons is that during her initial cleric training (AKA pre-level-0 backstory stuff) she noticed that nobody else's cleric magic was noticeably more effective than hers relative to their experience, whether they followed Koar, Phoen, Luukos, or whoever else "should" be quite a bit more powerful than Tilamaire. This has led her to believe that either the Arkati themselves were once mortal or at very least that anyone could theoretically rise up to their level.

She wouldn't explain any of this herself in those words, mind you, and maybe wouldn't even be able to explain it that way. But that's her thought process whether she even subconsciously realizes it or not.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 04:16 PM CST
Yes, for dark elves I guess it works, although a dark elf follower of any arkati never made much sense to me, which is why I never play dark elves...since theological roleplay is fun.

I see almost everyone echoing this "non-worshipper" stance and it just doesn't make sense in a medieval fantasy world where the races have medieval thinking in many ways, yet seem oh-so-21st century in their religious thoughts.

I thank the GM's for at least not writing the lore like that, and providing the means to more dramatic role play.

As for Tilamaire, and the idea that 'all gods are the same" my logic would run differently for my character...if she dared to think about it, she would just reason, like Voln, Tilamaire is supplied power from Liabo, specifically from Cholen himself, and for Amaselan followers, that power comes from Lornon, specifically from Luukos.

You've not convinced me that your characters' thought process is anything but OOC bias. It wouldn't matter if it was just a handful of nutty dark elves. It just seems to me everyone adopts this postmodern outlook for their character, whether Vaaloran or human, and it strikes me as bit boring and inauthentic to the world the characters live in.

The middle ages were sophisticated in some ways, but almost everyone would be murdered by the state if they were to deny Christ or assert the primacy of science in just about any way. I don't think a progressive idea of the Arkati as being what they are - just weird beings of some kind - makes sense at all except as a deviant sort of behavior in Elanthia.

Years ago, someone wrote, in response to GM Tamuz' question, "Why so non-converted?":

"I suppose it would take some sort of religious experience; a divinely inspired quest or purpose. Like all her vows and commitments, converting is not something she would take lightly. If she's going to do something, she'll do it all the way or not at all."

I guess that being lead by Lorminstra herself back from the brink of death is just not a religious experience. I guess that hundreds of invasions by giant black panthers and Sheruvian heralds IS NOT ENOUGH.

I CANNOT SAY OOC ENOUGH...

Yup, the more I think about it, the more I think you all are out of genre and out of character unless they are a dark elf or have no social conditioning whatsoever. These are the most powerful beings in Elanthia, nobody knows their origin stories IC, and there is far more evidence for them than there was for Christ's existence in the real middle ages of Earth...

Arkati belief would be widespread and that just isn't reflected in the RP populace.

Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 04:44 PM CST
From the official Elven documentation:

>"Today, Elven religion is little changed. They worship no god, but pay respect to their given patrons."
The paragraph before that covers the Faendryl's even more athiestic view of it.

https://gswiki.play.net/Elven_Dogma_and_Theology

That said, Luxie is somewhere off that vaunted traditional Elven stance, and was raised to be devout. The choice was already a done deal before I ever knew that.

"Swell, another peculiarity...." I muttered to myself when I read it.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
TownCrier News Dailies via Email: http://bit.ly/2ivAJfw
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 05:20 PM CST
The way that the universe was originally built is different from how it is interpreted today. In the original interpretation, whether something is divine has nothing to do with their mortality or strength. What makes a god in physical terms is that they allow spiritual magic to exist. Divine power is channeled through the magic-users that follow them, making it possible to cast spells. Arkati are one type of god, though there are other beings with similar natures (certain greater demons and elementals). The difference between Arkati and other gods is a matter of degree since they can extend their power over all of Elanthia. Whether it is possible for someone to become a god on their own is not known, but there are no documented instances of mortals ascending without the express intervention of an existing god, and worship by itself does not confer this kind of power.

In the current interpretation I think many players can call them "patrons" because the mechanics of spiritual magic have become mostly decoupled from worship and the gods don't personally appear to smite heretics often enough.

For roleplaying inspiration I feel it's helpful to look at henotheism in human history (the sole worship of one god while acknowledging the existence of others), which is how many Elanthian societies are portrayed, and try to incorporate certain themes of how and why people have practiced it.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 06:27 PM CST
That official documentation doesn't make ANY sense. What is the difference between a God who patronizes you and a God whom you worship?

Absolutely nothing. This is basic invocation/evocation stuff dating back to Egypt. Worship has always been understood in human history as a symbiotic relationship.

I think that, whoever wrote the old documentation thought that worship meant "abject humilitation" or "Going to Church and whining to God"...they certainly didn't own a copy of the Oxford Dictionary.

The elves do all of the following with the Arkati at some point or another, except for those we don't know about (the hidden cities in the Nations and Ta'Faendryl)

worship
NOUN
1mass noun The feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.

‘worship of the Mother Goddess’
‘ancestor worship’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1 Religious rites or ceremonies, constituting a formal expression of reverence for a deity.
‘the church was opened for public worship’
1.2 Great admiration or devotion shown towards a person or principle.
‘the worship of celebrity and wealth’
1.3archaic Honour given to someone in recognition of their merit.

Gasp Joining VOLN is worshipping VOLN as an EXPRESSION OF REVERENCE AND ADORATION. Elven heresy. Thus this official docs are lame and should be retconned.

Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 07:40 PM CST

>That official documentation doesn't make ANY sense.

>I think that, whoever wrote the old documentation thought that worship meant "abject humilitation" or "Going to Church and whining to God"...they certainly didn't own a copy of the Oxford Dictionary.

>Gasp Joining VOLN is worshipping VOLN as an EXPRESSION OF REVERENCE AND ADORATION. Elven heresy. Thus this official docs are lame and should be retconned.

and people say I'm harsh!
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 08:07 PM CST
Yeah I'm a card carrying ENTJ.

Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 09:38 PM CST
>>Yup, the more I think about it, the more I think you all are out of genre and out of character unless they are a dark elf or have no social conditioning whatsoever. These are the most powerful beings in Elanthia, nobody knows their origin stories IC, and there is far more evidence for them than there was for Christ's existence in the real middle ages of Earth...

>>Arkati belief would be widespread and that just isn't reflected in the RP populace.

I agree with you that belief in the Gods of Elanthia as actual Gods is under-represented. It's a shame. I have an observation and then a question.

1) This game has been around a very long time. A large number of the players have been playing it for a very long time. I would hazard to say that 15-20 or more years ago, there was much more immediacy felt for that sort of Roleplay, and for exploring those sorts of ideas in a fantasy setting, and thus it was more prevalent. As the years go by and people look for ways to keep their characters fresh and interesting, they take them in different ways. Or roll up new characters to explore different ideas. At the moment the pendulum of "social mores" may have largely swung one way, but will it stay there? Who knows?

2) Keeping in mind that the Arkati can not be defined in the same way as God (or Gods, or what have you) in the modern world, why would any inhabitant of Elanthia worship them at all? They are not ineffable. There is no doubt that they exist. Many of them have been seen, at one point or another.

When the armies of (insert-name-here) have been defeated, time and time again, why would anyone think other than along the lines of "Oh yeah, that guy. Well, I wouldn't want to meet him in a back alley, but if he was REALLY powerful he would have destroyed the city ten times over by now."

Avaia, player of
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/12/2017 10:21 PM CST
That's what the balance of Lornon and Liabo is about. Luukos IS really powerful. Anyone caught in a Luukosian invasion will probably die several times - I'm not even talking about regular peasant folk, but seasoned characters. If it weren't for the faithful supporting Liabo all the time, Lornon would win. I think that every person in Elanthia is sure of that, especially the followers of the dark moon.

Even Luukos doesn't want to destroy everything. Only Marlu really wants to destroy this universe. The Lornon Arkati just want to play their games and get their mortal soul-juice fix of whatever type they crave, for Eorgina it's domination over others, for Luukos it's literal human soul juice-boxes.

Christ and God are real to all Christians, and they saw evidence for their presence * all the time* in the middle ages. (And to be respectful to any real Christians in the audience, all this talk of fictional religion in light of real religion is not meant to make light of your faith, I just like to compare Elanthia to the Middle Ages of Europe whenever I am gauging a standard by which to roleplay, and one of the major faiths of Middle Ages Europe was Christianity.) Things like crying statues, the shroud of Turin and even the templars and disciples of Christ all testified to his existence in their eyes. Why in the world would that discourage worship? I don't think I see your logic there. If anything, the Church milked that and to this day promotes any confirmed miracles like crazy. Followers eat it up. They make pilgrimages to the sites of miracles. This is hard evidence to these faithful.

How much more would the world go nuts if a shining figure with wings and blinding hair (like Phoen, the god of hair products) appeared in the skies and EVERYONE for miles around could see it. Some people would go with "aliens" or "psy-op" since we live in a modern world, but far, far more would find or regain their religion. Elanthia is not a postmodern world, it's a very archaic world steeped in magic.

Elanthia is a weird, dangerous unpredictable place, and Arkati offer the greatest beacon of hope - on both the light and dark sides in their own ways.

I still think this aversion to Arkati is an OOC hangup. What I don't know is if it's an atheistic recoiling from the evils religion has wrought in our real lives, or if it's some kind of hesitation on the part of the faithful to worship anything else but their real-life god, even in roleplay. Either way, I don't like it, and I don't understand it.

Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 12:52 AM CST
Doctor Manhattan, in "Watchmen," actually had a good answer when he was questioned about being perceived as a god: "I'm not omniscient." The Arkati aren't omniscient. But then, is that a requirement, in Elanthia? I haven't seen anything in the Elanthian culture which necessarily suggests that somebody has to be omniscient to be a god.

The Elanthian perception of the attributes of a god could be entirely different from the American (or any other real-world culture) perception of the attributes of a god. I think, all in all, the question of "what attributes unambiguously define a god?" can't fundamentally be answered for Elanthia within the scope of published lore references, so there's no valid solution to the problem save "everybody RP what they find meaningful for their character and let everyone else do the same."

Laelithonel: Mari is like getting a giant wheel of smoked gouda with a cute pink bow on it
Laelithonel: it's exciting. i'd love the wheel. i know eating it will kill me
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 02:01 AM CST
>I still think this aversion to Arkati is an OOC hangup.

Where are you seeing this purported aversion to Arkati? I see plenty of people offering prayers and rituals to their chosen deity. We all know at least a few prominent followers (or worshippers, adherents, acolytes, go through your handy thesaurus and pick the term that suits your standards of properly roleplayed obeisance to a deity) of all the major Arkati. Our characters see and interact with them or their emissaries frequently. As far as I know, few people roleplay their characters as disbelieving in Arkatic immanence; they just roleplay their relations to these entities differently.

Why is this implausible to you in a world that allows people to travel between planes of existence, walk on water, control the elements, summon plagues, and bring people back from the dead? Comparisons with medieval Christianity or any other terrestrial faith are going to be strained because our characters already live in a realm of magic and miracles -- ones they perform. "Shining figure with wings and blinding hair" could as easily mean Bekke in her fiery gown, assuming she was having a good hair day (clearly joking here as every day is a good hair day for Bekke; she is Bekke with the good hair).

If the nature of Elanthian reality is so different from terrestrial reality, then is it truly so hard to fathom that characters' relationships to their deities might also be different?

For that matter, is the way other people play their characters that tough for you to take? I find that unless they're demanding my character share their beliefs or act in a way that doesn't match my own vision for her, all's fair in love and roleplay. Sure, some people's choices are different from those I would make, but that doesn't mean they're all Doing It Wrong.

You're free to think it's OOC, but you haven't really persuaded me that we should all think so too.

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 04:06 AM CST
I'm confused about this perception that following is not a form of worship. What do people think worship is? All "following" is a form of emulation, and what is emulation if not the actual literal assumption of the godform as it has been regarded throughout the entirety of human evolution?

Do not confuse belief with worship, they are two entirely different things when it comes to religion, especially in-game. Don't expect the definitions of how to follow the Gemstone gods to become any more rigid because that would detract from the RP associated with GS religion; no one wants to be locked in to how they must follow their chosen deity.

Nearly everything is Gemstone is highly generalized for a reason. Holes are left in histories, gaps are left in tales, stories, and fables. All of these allow our characters the freedom to choose their own individual paths, without the argument about what is right and what is not.

Would I like to see things is GS more defined? Sure, some things. Do I understand why they aren't more defined? Yeah, I do, and I would much rather have things the way they are now than to be forced to believe in something when my character just might not see it that way.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 05:23 AM CST
It is not clear to me that it is even in-genre for them to be regarded as divine, especially by urban people from the civilizations of Elanith. They are treated as mortal and weaker than other powers as part of their fundamental theology. The Elves ruled over the other races with secular, literate societies for tens of thousands of years, and if anything represent Enlightenment attitudes. Magic is completely mundane for them, a rules-based rote process. There is no reason for a scholar of magic to regard them as anything other than a kind of thing. The Arkati must have been willing to go along with this, and as far as I can tell never actually claim to be gods. Their spheres of influence must work well enough without it. It happens that my PC regards the theology as a "noble lie" in the opposite direction, with them being more powerful than they admit.

The basic historical framework of the game is loosely built on a parallel to Tolkien. There is little religion in Middle Earth. The Elves and Wizards do magic, the higher powers are matter-of-fact and distant, and everyone agrees Sauron is one with worshippers, but he's a huge jerk so they put him down when he tries to manifest and impose himself. In the past we have had Arkati almost be killed, or Meyno who was imprisoned by a shaman, or one time a manifestation of Luukos was destroyed using an ancient artifact. In the way, way past their avatars used to have defined levels and abilities and limitations, being very much not invincible in corporeal form compared to other powerful things.

I would agree that our adventurers are often too glib about more powerful beings, but there is also a whole spectrum of other beings below and above the moon gods. The Great Elementals, the Vvrael, the Vishmiir, the primordials like Althedeus, the Ur-Daemon, Despana, the krolvin gods, the abyran snake god, the dragons, the fey, possibly countless extraplanar entities of incomprehensible horror. There are a lot of players on the board other than the Arkati, ignored like the gods of any foreign religion.

Generally, the cultures are a pastiche of various real world influences, similar to the Game of Thrones world. There are some similarities between the Turamzzyrian Empire and medieval Europe and I see no problem with common folk under its feudalism tending toward being superstitious. The Tehir are tribal animists. The Aelotoi are an extreme case in that they actually come from kiramon genetic engineering, which was reviving the game's original I.C.E. Age world setting situation of sci-fi/fantasy mashup, where some races and artifacts were technologically advanced. There is a document where an Aelotoi is talking about "genetic modifications" and "pheromones" to the Elven monarchs.

- Xorus' player

"(If you really want to understand Marlu, I suggest reading "The Call of Cthulhu" by H.P. Lovecraft.)" - Varevice (2000)
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 05:27 AM CST
The knowledge that the Arkati are not the strongest beings is one reason why my character (a Dhe'nar) never considered them gods. The Ur-daemons went to war with the Drakes, readily killing nearly all of them, so even they are not the greatest candidates for worship. Then there is the idea the Drakes created them and treated them like pets or servants. At best you could consider them the children of the Drakes, just as the "mortal" races are the children of the Arkati.

They die, they are fallible, they squabble amongst themselves. Some are petty, others brash and vindictive. None of this knowledge lends itself to worship of highly imperfect beings.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 05:55 AM CST
Not to drive this discussion too off-topic, but I think one of the largest barriers to having faith actively roleplayed in this game stems from a broken death system. You can claim it is OOC knowledge, but our characters literally cannot permanently die. How could we fail from an IC sense to notice that you can be struck down a hundred times and always be reborn? Only NPCs, GM controlled or system-genned can truly be destroyed. You don't even need deeds, which once made Lorminstra a figure worth worship.

I understand permadeath is bad for Simutronics bottom line, but without the threat of real and lasting death how can you truly have the "fear of god" put into you?

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 06:25 AM CST

The Enlightenment? With the racism, feudalism, warfare and rivalry between cities, and lack of interest for scientific research? Nah. Elanthia is built around the middle ages, not the Enlightenment. I don't even know if an Enlightenment can occur in Elanthia with the physics of the universe it is in (magic.)coupled with vastly different species of humanoids. The Enlightenment era humans only had race and sex to deal with, not other species which could not interbreed with them. If it were Enlightenment era, then it would make even more sense for the elves and humans to regard the Arkati as divine. Part of the Enlightenment era thinking was the idea that Man was divine, (even up to the heretical sounding Deus est Homo) alongside God. There is no Elanthian equivalent for Greece, the rediscovery of which was the basis for what sparked the Enlightenment. Vornavis would basically have to become the Roman Catholic Church to spark a 30-year war, to catch up to the major religious elements of The Enlightenment. It hasn't gone that far yet. Your ideas on what constitute divinity are off by a mile according to Oxford.

adjective

Of or like God or a god.
‘heroes with divine powers’

‘paintings of shipwrecks being prevented by divine intervention’

1.1 Devoted to God; sacred.
‘divine liturgy’

By this definition, adventurers are divine. Clerics who are devoted to a God are divine. So your definition of divine doesn't seem to agree with any conventional definition of "divine." If anyone starts arguing about the word God, I'll let you all learn how to use a dictionary and look up God yourself - there is no reason why the Arkati could not be regarded as Gods, even by secular humans in our modern world, unless that person refuses to abide by the dictionary definition of words which generally guide inquiries like this...

There are a lot of other beings, but none have succeeded in breaking the Liabo grasp on Elanthia. So there's no reason for any civilization to break faith with them, save for the Faendryl, who were pretty much left to their own devices in Rhoska Tor.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 06:30 AM CST

"They die, they are fallible, they squabble amongst themselves. Some are petty, others brash and vindictive. None of this knowledge lends itself to worship of highly imperfect beings."

Sure, since Abraham, if you follow his ideas. He was the one who introduced the idea of an infallible omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent God, and the concept that this is the only sort of God one should worship.

But the Greek Gods were all fallible. They made mistakes, and were just regular jackoffs like any other human in their stories. The Nordic Gods were even able to be slain. Didn't stop humans from worshipping these. This still goes on to this day. Iceland is even raising a temple to Odin this coming spring, despite the fact that he's going to die in Ragnarok.

So, you were saying?
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 06:41 AM CST

"Not to drive this discussion too off-topic, but I think one of the largest barriers to having faith actively roleplayed in this game stems from a broken death system. You can claim it is OOC knowledge, but our characters literally cannot permanently die. How could we fail from an IC sense to notice that you can be struck down a hundred times and always be reborn? Only NPCs, GM controlled or system-genned can truly be destroyed. You don't even need deeds, which once made Lorminstra a figure worth worship.

I understand permadeath is bad for Simutronics bottom line, but without the threat of real and lasting death how can you truly have the "fear of god" put into you? "

It is quite possible to permanently die. But the simple answer is, our characters become powerful because they are "chosen" somehow. They learn how to game the system with deeds but they are also remarkable people who were set up for great things...none of us play regular jackoffs.

You can always have a character permanently die, or allow them to age naturally and die off. It's a role-play choice, and one I've made many times when I decide it's time. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it needs to be taken into account when deciding how the story will be written. Do you role-play that you never get lost and always have a map handy just because you use Tsoran's maps or Narost?

Roleplaying is a gift we give to others. I will never be able to suspend disbelief enough to fully engage with my own character and believe he or she is totally real and believable. That's what watching other characters is for. Anyone else who thinks otherwise just hasn't roleplayed long enough to figure out that group RP is inherently a potluck where the dish you bring is the one you probably will enjoy or remember the least in the long run.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 09:04 AM CST
<<I still think this aversion to Arkati is an OOC hangup. What I don't know is if it's an atheistic recoiling from the evils religion has wrought in our real lives, or if it's some kind of hesitation on the part of the faithful to worship anything else but their real-life god, even in roleplay. Either way, I don't like it, and I don't understand it.

My characters all have different reasons for their respective levels of belief, and the thought that this has anything to do with "OOC hangups" is, quite frankly, offensive. Quite the opposite, it's very considered, rational choice on my part as regarding the personality and history of each character.

Examples:
1) My empath is aelotoi. She is devoutly L'Naereen'dar. She is aware that the common perception is that L'Naere is dead. She feels a level of faith and spiritual connection such that she continues to observe the worship of L'Naere despite this connection. Her continued and active ability to cast Minor Spiritual spells is, to her, a sign of powers granted by her faith, despite that she has no practice whatsoever in worshiping or following anybody recognised as a living god or arkati.

2) My wizard is Faendryl. He is, as the documentation specifies, avowedly atheist. This doesn't mean he believes that arkati don't exist, or don't have power - he simply doesn't ascribe any level of divinity to those powers. By very much the same token, he knows that Magister Raelee Svala and Lady Lylia Rashere both exist and are capable of feats far beyond his limited capabilities; he doesn't think either of them are gods or should be worshiped, either.

3) My warrior is from Mestanir, the seat of Koar worship in the Turamzzyrian Empire. She spent the first eighty years of her life steeped in the trappings and ritual of the Imperial Church of Koar. Without going into any detail on her IC history, her life experiences have been such that she has strong doubts that there is truly any massively powerful divine avatar of justice out there ensuring that evildoers shall not go unpunished. On the flip side, she has personal experience with having died and been returned from Lorminstra's Gates, just as most of our characters would have - but she regards Lorminstra as greedy and corrupt for so blatantly demanding bribes based upon monetary value in return for deeds; not at all the behaviour of a holy divine being who should be worshiped.

Bluntly, you're not required to understand it, and you're not required to like it, either. Neither is necessary in order for my RP choices to be valid.

Laelithonel: Mari is like getting a giant wheel of smoked gouda with a cute pink bow on it
Laelithonel: it's exciting. i'd love the wheel. i know eating it will kill me
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 10:30 AM CST

I always thought it was made really obvious that all of the donations to Lorminstra either go towards powering her abilities or to the poor. The messaging in Icemule Trace is really strong. While regarding Lorminstra as greedy is a popular opinion, I never thought it made any sense, since it's pretty clear that there are very specific rules regarding the gems and silvers. Gems are worth a lot more, meaning that they are being used for something specific by the priesthood. When chrism gems came out, a lot of people realized that Lorminstra and her priests were using them towards a specific purpose - it wasn't that they were just greedy.

She is also the only one who can do what she does, otherwise, some other Arkati would have stepped in in order to offer "free" resurrection.

Regarding Lorminstra as merely greedy is a simplistic and even irrational view of what might actually be going on there in the story.

Also, if Lorminstra is not a god, then why should she not charge for her services? Is she one or the other? Do we complain when clerics expect payment to continue rescuing and rezzing our asses? Capitalism isn't really a crime.

Why would Lorminstra WANT gems, anyways? Does she go shopping at the airship on vacation? Does she lounge about on a bed of gems for pleasure? Why would the other Liabo gods hang out with that kind of a deity? She is not the goddess of gems. She is the goddess of winter. It might be that she is trying to help mortals let go of material attachment - young newbies can get a deed for virtually nothing. It's when you start getting a lot of deeds and rising in the ranks that they become costly. Think about this people...it isn't as simple-simon as you all make it out to be.

There is a much bigger picture to all of these beings and people have glommed on to these simplistic tropes that are just dull to listen to and roleplay with all day.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 10:45 AM CST

>or if it's some kind of hesitation on the part of the faithful to worship anything else but their real-life god, even in roleplay. Either way, I don't like it, and I don't understand it.

>and the thought that this has anything to do with "OOC hangups" is, quite frankly, offensive.

I do recall at least one prominent player leaving because of religion, like they felt they had spent too much time pretending to worship another god but their RL one. It was in the farewells folder. The OOC hangups exist.

>you're not required to understand it, and you're not required to like it, either. Neither is necessary in order for my RP choices to be valid.

that is also true. However, I don't think the post was meant to target anyone personally.
Re: Philosophy, Choice & Faith 12/13/2017 11:08 AM CST

Yeah yeah, you and every other random roleplayer engaged with the theology of Elanthia has these "very specific" beliefs, which are just average assumptions, made hastily and oft-repeated due to OOC influences and borrrrring.

Not only am I not required to understand it, I don't want to. It's just too boring to care about.

No one is invalidating your roleplay choices except for yourself. People can do whatever they like with their character, I'm just trying to show those who are able to wrap their heads around it a better way to do it. The characters exist in a world which is vastly intricate and steeped in a thousands of years of an alien culture.

Anyone, including myself, who thinks they have learned all they can about how to go about realistically portraying such an amazing scenario is completely dull beyond belief...

Glad I could offend and disturb...an artist's job, after all...
Prev_page Previous 1