Prev_page Previous 1
Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 06:52 PM CDT
A new level 0 spell called Arcane Blast (1700) has been released. All Pures (Wizards, Clerics, Empaths, Sorcerers, and Savants) will have innate knowledge of this spell and can simply PREPARE 1700 or ARCANEBLAST (or INCANT) to cast it. It requires no mana to cast, but does subject the caster to 5 seconds of roundtime. If cast from stance defensive or guarded, it cast a warding attack at the target. If cast from a higher stance, it will cast a bolt attack at the target. Holy Receptacle (325), Magic Item Creation (420), Haste (506), Rapid Fire (515), Charge Item (517), and Scroll Infusion (714) do not work with this spell.

It is our hope that this new ability will allow our players to play their characters as a caster from the start instead of relying on physical weapons due to mana constraints. We've updated the sprite quest to inform new characters of this new ability.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 06:56 PM CDT
This is an AWESOME! (seriously I can't express how amazing) addition to the pure caster classes. Thank you!

An announcer shouts, "Introducing our new combatant, Duskruin Arena Hero Durakar al'Yari Faendryl the Captain of the Mist Harbor Militia, hailing from Isle of the Four Winds!"
This is pretty awesome. Makes me want to go roll a pure everything all over again.

>>I might be down, but I'm not dead. There's better days still up ahead. Even after all I've seen, there's hope in front of me.
Estild, you are a big damn hero. This is a brilliant solution and even better than the mana curve idea, methinks. :D

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart. Angry, wild and raw. Bring it all. I am not afraid of the dark."
- mia hollow
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 06:58 PM CDT
CAN I JUST SAY AGAIN HOW UBER RAD THIS IS?!

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart. Angry, wild and raw. Bring it all. I am not afraid of the dark."
- mia hollow
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:15 PM CDT

Just fried hunting hobgoblins at level 9 without swinging a sword or waving a wand. This is great. I did notice you can't cast it if you have -1 mana, not sure if that was intended.
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:17 PM CDT

A hobgoblin snarls menacingly as she rushes in!
>stance off
inc 1700
stance def
You are now in an offensive stance.
>You gesture sharply and recite the esoteric command for Arcane Blast...
Your spell is ready.
But you don't have any mana!
>
You are now in a defensive stance.
>prep 1700
You already have a spell readied! You must RELEASE it if you wish to prepare another!
>cast hob
But you don't have any mana!
>rel
You feel the magic of your spell rush away from you.
>
A hobgoblin thrusts with a feather decorated bone spear at you!
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:20 PM CDT

part of me understands why people like this, another part of me just hates it because it becomes GS easy mode. Maybe a level 20 ceiling on using it?
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:24 PM CDT
VANKRASN39
part of me understands why people like this, another part of me just hates it because it becomes GS easy mode. Maybe a level 20 ceiling on using it?

Once your higher level, there's almost no reason to use Arcane Blast (1700) over the other level 1-2 attack spells. You can cast them almost twice as fast (3 second cast roundtime vs 5 second hard roundtime) and they have lores to enhance their benefits.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:26 PM CDT
<<part of me understands why people like this, another part of me just hates it because it becomes GS easy mode. Maybe a level 20 ceiling on using it?

If you really want to stand out in front of creatures still using only this spell past level 20, and probably risk dying a lot, then that's your death wish! I will be pretty shocked if people still end up doing that. But guess we'll see!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:30 PM CDT

>Once your higher level, there's almost no reason to use Arcane Blast (1700) over the other level 1-2 attack spells. You can cast them almost twice as fast (3 second cast roundtime vs 5 second hard roundtime) and they have lores to enhance their benefits.

but for zero mana it seems like a nice alternative to delay wracking.
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:35 PM CDT

It is very good that haste will not work with it.
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:39 PM CDT
Also useful if that last pesky critter has only a few health left and you don't have enough mana for your normal spells. I donno how many times I had 1 mana left and it didn't kill the critter when I 901ed.

Just an elf about town...
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:46 PM CDT
This is pretty amazing. Great work. I think ill actually bust my wizard out.

Player of Malisai

Winterberry goes in both hands.

~ X., Free the Fifth

Yanso says, "Everyone offer thanks to the healthy looking lass and the most famous sorcerer or all time for finding these magical flowers."
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:49 PM CDT

Good job. Awesome addition. I like it and please keep it up!
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:49 PM CDT
CAPTAINREDBEARD
Just fried hunting hobgoblins at level 9 without swinging a sword or waving a wand. This is great. I did notice you can't cast it if you have -1 mana, not sure if that was intended.

This issue should now be resolved. Thanks for reporting it.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:56 PM CDT
>>part of me understands why people like this, another part of me just hates it because it becomes GS easy mode. Maybe a level 20 ceiling on using it?

Personally, I don't think that's really necessary. It's not a very powerful spell, by any means, and higher train characters have soooo many more and better options.

I think it's fantastic for what purpose it serves, which is to give casters a much-needed option to not just stand there or go sit somewhere and wait at lower levels when they run dry. That's incredibly boring and a turn-off as a gameplay aspect, and insufficient mana has been a problem for lowbies since... I'm guessing, always.

- mia hollow
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:57 PM CDT

Wow! A fantastic addition for pures, thank you!
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 07:57 PM CDT
I love the addition. I'm glad that you're helping the young savants on their journey to cap!

:p

But joking aside, seriously nice change.

~Whirlin
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:03 PM CDT
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, this is freaking AMAZING!!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I can make my cleric the caster that she wants to be, and not cleric-fu (and spend however many minutes jabbing things to death) now! :D :D :D

~A very, very, VERY happy~ Lyquitta, Cleric of Kuon
(Previously: Cylnthia, Paladin of Kuon)
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:03 PM CDT
>>but for zero mana it seems like a nice alternative to delay wracking.

For sure -- like I said, it's great to have options and this is a nice one. It's not terribly powerful at all, either; as an empath, Harm(/Heal) does noticeably more damage for 1 mana, and I'm sure most classes have something similar.... but for really low train character that have very limited mana, it's a great addition.

- mia hollow
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:05 PM CDT
<<This is a brilliant solution and even better than the mana curve idea, methinks.>>

I have to agree. I didn't think anything like this would actually happen, but having a 0-level spell, that costs 0 mana to attack, is a MUCH better solution, and much more elegant (and probably a LOT easier to code).

Lyquitta, Cleric of Kuon
(Previously: Cylnthia, Paladin of Kuon)
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:07 PM CDT
It's a great addition. I'd like to verify that it is intended to work with flaring runestaffs before I get used to it and you change it. In this case I'm talking about elemental type flares and the like. Not mana, or acuity or ensorcell. But I would like to know if does work with the latter as well and if you see any of those being a problem?
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:13 PM CDT
<<AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, this is freaking AMAZING!!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I can make my cleric the caster that she wants to be, and not cleric-fu (and spend however many minutes jabbing things to death) now! :D :D :D

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite response to the announcement so far. I didn't even have a play in the spell and it brings a smile to my face to see such happy customers!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:14 PM CDT
ROB
It's a great addition. I'd like to verify that it is intended to work with flaring runestaffs before I get used to it and you change it. In this case I'm talking about elemental type flares and the like. Not mana, or acuity or ensorcell. But I would like to know if does work with the latter as well and if you see any of those being a problem?

Yes, it'll work with any ability (runestaff or otherwise) that might trigger off of a spell cast. With the 5 seconds of roundtime needed to cast the spell, there's very little risk of it being abused.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:37 PM CDT

Woot! This is absolutely fantastic! Thank you, thank you and kudos kudos and more kudos to the innovative minds that thought it up!
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:42 PM CDT
I have to say Estild, I'm genuinely impressed. I take back 35% of the bad things I've ever said about you. The other 65% is pending what you said about fixing 730 and the elemental lore review! ;)

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 08:57 PM CDT
This is awesome. Thanks.

>> The other 65% is pending what you said about fixing 730 and the elemental lore review! ;)<<

I think when this stuff is released, particularly the elemental lore review, it's going to be pretty awesome. So far I've been pretty impressed with Estild and the other GM's working on these type of things. Well actually I've been pretty impressed with all the GM's that we have now.
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 09:53 PM CDT
This is ... pretty damn incredible. The conversation about low level pures and being hamstrung by mana concerns always came down to needing this solution. I have pure alts and while I could afford to keep them in wands, it was time consuming, tedious, and expensive, to the point that I never bothered to level my pures as much as I would have liked. This, as noted previously, is a brilliant and elegant solution, one that allows the pure to use their low level spells and this spell as well, to keep them hunting and gaining experience.

Very well done.

You guys... you guys are on fire, lately. Kudos to all of you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I really hope that this will work with F2P to bring new faces and population into the game, and that all classes will be given a try.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 10:04 PM CDT
awesome stuff :)
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/30/2015 10:43 PM CDT

Awesome stuff going on, cheers to all the hard work from the GMs lately.
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 01:02 AM CDT
I tested the warding version on zombies and it took about 20 hits to kill them. Unless it is very close to dead, you would only use this on low level creatures.

I am impressed. I would never have expected to see a zero mana cross-profession spell.

- Xorus' player
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 02:07 AM CDT
Pretty awesome!

Even if it won't be generally the best hunting tactic, I love MOAR SPELLS.

(Also, a very clever solution for low-level pures.)

So, when do I get to learn the other Arcane spells? Hmm? HMMM?

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 02:10 AM CDT
Should this be appearing under SPELL ALL?

It doesn't for me.

Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 03:26 AM CDT
The low-level hunting problems of pures is something that has been overlooked since... well... basically forever. I suppose after long enough we all resigned to using the typical methods for grinding through low levels without casting. Glad something like this was rolled out.

I thought it might be worth stating that, beyond the obvious benefit, this is a major help for players learning their characters profession. For those of us who have been around the block, it's easy to swing a weapon for 30 days then switch over to pure and not be confused. We already know the game well enough to close out the 30-day routine without mistakes. But a new player has no basis for understanding training or experimenting with training if they do the same. So it's important to have the cradle-to-grave pure option more accessible.
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 04:46 AM CDT
How is the CS calculated? My feeling is it calculates the CS for all spell circles known to the caster and selects the highest one. However, I didn't do much testing. There don't seem to be other arcane warding spells, so I'm not aware of an existing formulation to reference on gswiki.

Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 07:11 AM CDT
>How is the CS calculated? My feeling is it calculates the CS for all spell circles known to the caster and selects the highest one.

That's because you aren't a wizard ;). I think its using your professional circle CS which is likely to be your highest CS on the other pures, but not on a wizard. (I don't have a wizard that knows a 900s warding spell but Arcane Blast had a much lower CS than immolate or Elemental Blast on my test.)

I'm not sure if all avenues for other classes using it have been shut down or not, and what would happen if a square got hold of it somehow.

Its an elegant solution, particularly for new players. I can do cleric and sorcerer pure with starter walk in experience (not sure about the others, which would be more difficult and I haven't had a serious try at it with them) but any new pure should be able to throw a spell out of the mangler.
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 07:22 AM CDT
Which profession got it in their new player guide first?
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 08:05 AM CDT

Very nice change. I've always suffered through the first 10 levels and as a result sometimes my pures don't last past level 7 or 8.
Re: Arcane Blast (1700) 03/31/2015 08:16 AM CDT

Empath, but maybe the same language can be put in all of them for consistency, at least an intro to it.
Prev_page Previous 1