Prev_page Previous 1
Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/18/2020 06:05 PM CDT
Hello everybody!

First off, I want to thank you all again for your contributions to the role play and overall enrichment of our Elanthia. 2020 has been a wild ride, but you as a community help bring us all together for adventures that continue to both impress and entertainment both myself and the players that we call friends and family. I'm proud to have been a part of your world and will continue to do so, albeit in a smaller role. Ainfore forever! However, as with all things, the Meeting Hall Organization system is due for its own overhaul, so we'd like to outline how we'll be approaching this in the upcoming months.

The original intent of Meeting Hall Organizations was to provide a way to formally recognize non-CHE Player Run Organizations with some in-game mechanical abilities while minimizing the impact on GM time. Over the years, the benefits to MHOs have expanded and the GM time has expanded exponentially because of it.

Give that, we have taken a long hard, and quite frankly, much overdue look at the MHO system, its requirements, and its benefits. Here are the changes that will be implemented effective January 1, 2021:

All MHOs will be divided into 2 Tiers: Prominent – the entry level tier, and Renowned – obtainable after 2 years at Prominent status.

Prominent Tier Benefits

General Access to the MHO Halls in-game

HALL verb functionality (criers and news items and other officer tools)

Prize closet access with 1 insignia-only item (insignia will have a variety of allowable nouns)

Ability to become Renowned after two (2) years of activity: Activity Requirement is 1 activity per year hosted solely by the MHO, open to all, and advertised via NEWS 4

Renowned Tier Benefits

All benefits under Prominent Tier

One calendar item per year, submitted 30 days in advance

Prize closets expanded to five (5) items (additional parameters will apply)

TIERS can be requested once per year at the regular cost

To maintain Renowned status, the MHO must solely host 2 events per year, open to all, and advertised via NEWS 4 or the calendar.

Converting Existing MHOs to the New System

Tier 1: Will convert to Prominent, unless they meet the requirements for Renowned advancement already (2 years at Tier 1 with at least 1 event each year)

Tier 2: Will convert to Renowned, unless they end the year with 0 events, in which case they will convert to Prominent. Prize closets for 2021 will be brought inline with 2021 standards.

Tier 3: Will convert to Renowned. Prize closets for 2021 will be brought inline with 2021 standards.

MHO Structures

Structures will no longer be a part of the MHO system. Tier 3 MHOs with a structure already will be grandfathered in and retain their structures.

Tier 3 MHOs who are eligible for a structure by the end of 2020 will be grandfathered in and receive their structures as well.

Failure to Meet Requirements

Effective for calendar year 2021 (2020 will be processed under current rules)

Prominent Tier: Removal from the MHO system at the end of the calendar year.

Renowned Tier: Dropped to Prominent Tier and will lose all Renowned benefits, including grandfathered structures.

Extenuating Circumstances: Communication is key. If you have extenuating circumstances, please reach out to the MHO GM immediately.

New MHO GM

As I mentioned in my intro, I'll be stepping away from my omnipotent position as Meeting Hall Organization GM, but leaving you in the very capable gentle hands of GM Xynwen. I'll still be around to assist with the transition, answer any questions that may pop up, and /bolt you with the same enthusiasm as always, don't you worry. Perhaps all three if you'd like.

MHO Email:

Don’t forget that general MHO discussion should occur here on the official forums. If you need to email the MHO GM, please use GS4-MHO@PLAY.NET, NOT the MHO GM’s play.net email.

** I just e-mailed the Google Group the above information as well!

THANK YOU again for the many wonderful years of MHO shenanigans and I'll see you around soon!

GM Elysani
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/18/2020 06:28 PM CDT
What does this mean for our current prize closet? Are you going to cut us back to 5 items? The message was a bit vague in that area.

Jastalynn Dragorth
Chairman, Fenog's Regulars
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/18/2020 06:52 PM CDT
>>What does this mean for our current prize closet? Are you going to cut us back to 5 items? The message was a bit vague in that area.

The intent is to eventually get all MHOs in-line with the new system (with the exception of grandfathered structures -- those will stay as long as you remain active and meeting the new, very minimal requirements starting in 2021).

However, it is my understanding many of you are just now getting your 2020 requests fulfilled, meaning you haven't had time to use them. Because of that, we will allow carryover into 2021 for the prize closets and will work individually with MHOs on this piece.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
"My real name is Mephistopheles, but you can call me baby"
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/18/2020 07:01 PM CDT
Heyall, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself

First and foremost, many MANY thanks to GM Elysani for her MHO leadership over the years. I’m grateful for everything she’s been doing and all the help I know she’s still going to provide.

Next, I am a HUGE proponent of the PRO system, both CHEs and MHOs. As a player, I’ve been Chair of two different Houses, and I’ve worked with several Houses and MHOs on PRO events. I feel that PROs provide an integral and important role in Gemstone IV, and I appreciate all the players who spend blood, sweat, tears, and hours in running, organizing, and participating in these incredible organizations. Major kudos!

For those that do not know, I’m a returning GM, and back during my original run, I was the CHE GM for several years, as well as the SGM of the World team. This isn’t the first time MHOs have fallen to me in one way or another, and I’m very excited to be back!

As the announcement email mentioned, the MHO system was never meant to be this GM-time-intensive, but feature creep is a real thing, and it happened. By removing the most prominent time-consuming aspects, I’m hoping we can find a good balance of support and encouragement for your organizations.

Please know that I’ll be following the MHO folders and making notes of questions, comments, concerns, and suggestions. While we have a go-forward plan, it doesn’t mean we won’t evaluate as we go for opportunities.

Again, thank you so much for all that you do. I’m looking forward to working with you all.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/18/2020 07:21 PM CDT
> The intent is to eventually get all MHOs in-line with the new system

So what IS the new system's allotment of prize items?

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/18/2020 07:28 PM CDT
> So what IS the new system's allotment of prize items?

From the original post:
Prominent Tier: Prize closet access with 1 insignia-only item (insignia will have a variety of allowable nouns)
Renowned Tier: Prize closets expanded to five (5) items (3 must be insignia items, 2 can be insignia or chosen from a new list of prizes)

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/18/2020 08:57 PM CDT
First order of business, it's a big shame you're going, Elysani, and I'm totally going to miss working with you on this stuff! But also hi Xynwen!

Now onto some concerns though- first and foremost, the prize closet. My MHO's prize closet is stocked with RP props as opposed to random prizes/gifts- among these, not only the two official insignias but also clothing items (grey outerwear for apprentice members and heraldic outerwear for full members), but things like writable/foldable parchment, quills, pennons, officer insignias, etc. Given that these are RP props as opposed to prize items, is there a chance there can be some discussion with the officers of each MHO that makes the cut in order to judiciously grandfather in some of these RP-integral items?

Next, how are the specific requirements for events to qualify for credit being adjusted? Are they remaining the same (5 attendees, host counted if participating, 30 minutes, etc), or being adjusted up or down to reflect the 2021 overhaul?

As well, what about the longterm benefits for MHOs with structures? Is the entire system being dropped and no new additions after 2021, or will we still see the same LTB cycle continue for groups with structures?

Laaastly when it comes to calendared events, my group does two recurring events monthly- will we still be able to schedule recurring calendar events like that, or will we be subject to the slated single calendar event per year and have to find our own advertisement outside of NEWS submissions?

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 01:16 AM CDT
Thank you for the quick response, Miss Xynwen.

But I'm still confused.

Do you mean that from this point on a Tier 1 group gets 1 item in their prize closet, their insignia, and that Tier 2 groups get 5 items of which 3 have to be insignias?

Because so far, I'm the only MHO person I've talked to who read it like that.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 03:17 AM CDT

I’m also curious about the prize closet. We’ve been an MHO for a very long time and have a very extensive prize closet, are we losing all our items but 5?
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 09:22 AM CDT

Elysani,

For a long time now you have been our hero at MHO. Getting Calender items, raffles up so efficiently, helping us navigate the system and always being there when we needed you. I wholeheartedly thank you for your guidance and support all these years.

Many hugs and all the best in the future,

Katara
Stormwild Hall
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 09:22 AM CDT
<Renowned Tier: Prize closets expanded to five (5) items (3 must be insignia items, 2 can be insignia or chosen from a new list of prizes)

This is confusing. Why would we need 3 insignia items? Stormwild currently has a member insignia and an officer insignia. I don't see a need for a third one.

So are our prize closets going to be decimated? Stormwild's closet is rather well-filled. We have put a lot of time and thought into it for over ten years. Our closet is in our structure, which is going to be grandfathered. I can understand limiting items for those with no structure, who must go to the MHO Hall in order to get their prizes, but we'd really like to keep our current closet since our items are not in the general closet at the Hall.

May we see this 'new' prize list?

Also, what does "TIERS can be requested once per year at the regular cost" mean? Is that a reference to our LTBs?

Jadzara's player
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 09:28 AM CDT

I need to touch on the prize closet issue for a moment; us MHO leaders and officers have worked very hard to see our organization continue and flourish and reach all the milestones put in front of us. With this in mind, I certainly hope our prize closet is grandfathered in as well. If it is not, that would be highly disrespectful to all the MHOs who followed the rules, enriched the community and put in long hours for not months, not a year but many of us are a decade or more old. We aren’t asking for new items just our established prize items remain intact.

Thank you for listening,

Kat
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 09:39 AM CDT
Ah, someone explained to me that TIERS is Bingo for MHOs. We've never used it so I had no clue.

Jadzara's player
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 09:55 AM CDT
I have been thinking about my response to this update all night. I for one agree Meeting Hall Organizations needed an overhaul and understand sometimes real life happens and things need to be taken care of that we cant control.

I will start off by saying Elysani it has been an honor to have you as the MHO Guru ever since I started as an Officer in the Gypsy Troupe back in 2015. Then I branched out with Mikalmas and created the MHO known as The Order of the Sphere and Scythe, which was created in 2017. Every time we had a concern or question I always received a rapid response and things I asked to be done for the MHO were taken care of in a timely manner.
I am truly sorry to hear that you are stepping away from your position as MHO Guru, and I am sure GM Xynwen is a very capable replacement.

As far as the updates I am a bit concerned. I get that the original idea of MHOs were created to not be so GM heavy. I do like the idea of having the groups separated into 2 different tiers, however I see no incentive for a Tier 1 MHO to now gain Tier 2 status and this concerns me from a Roleplay point.
it took a lot of hard work a dedication from many people who branched out to start their own MHO to get where they are today and yet somehow I feel as if our effort to create something for all of Elanthia isn't being looked at and considered.

I know a lot of individuals have already posted questions of the Prize Closet update and you guys have already answered that by saying we are now only allowed 5 prize closet items if Renowned and 3 of those items must be insignias "unless grandfathered" which still doesn't entirely answer the question at hand. This just doesn't seem fair to the MHOs who have dedicated themselves to the game for years to get the items they needed to provided better Roleplaying experience to players.

If I may suggest that the Prize Closet for those who have them in their structure already be "Grand Fathered" in as well. It took a lot of time and effort of both the GMs part and Founders part to create the items, getting them through QC and ultimately getting them for use in game.

My last concern is understanding the Requirements for the News 4 system which I've been using for 6 years now. I recently submitted a News item via the Hall News system, and its seems as if some of the requirements have changed. For example the issue with time. Previously the requirement was that time in the News be submitted in this Format: 9 P.M. and now the requirement is that we make it elven time. I would just like a clear update at some point to how these need to be worded for future reference.

Welcome Aboard Xynwen I am looking forward to working with you!

Thanks for your time

Elder Seer Rovvigen Aniket of Sphere and Scythe
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 10:20 AM CDT
Event & Calendar Questions

>> Next, how are the specific requirements for events to qualify for credit being adjusted? Are they remaining the same (5 attendees, host counted if participating, 30 minutes, etc), or being adjusted up or down to reflect the 2021 overhaul? -- MAZEIKISJ

These are the same -- 5 attendees, host counted if participating, 30 minutes minimum. We fully expect our MHOs will continue to do a lot of other events, so we want to keep the qualifying events as pain-free as possible!

>> my group does two recurring events monthly- will we still be able to schedule recurring calendar events like that, or will we be subject to the slated single calendar event per year and have to find our own advertisement outside of NEWS submissions? -- MAZEIKISJ

You'll have the single calendar event. However, I would consider a regularly recurring event that I can schedule once as one item (so something that is always on the third Thursday of the month, for example), so one of your recurring events could be your calendared item. Also, let me say that once we get 2020 cleaned up, the system transitioned and under control, calendar items are an area I would be willing to revisit. This may be an area where increasing the maximum will have minimal time impact if done properly.

Structure Questions

>> As well, what about the long-term benefits for MHOs with structures? Is the entire system being dropped and no new additions after 2021, or will we still see the same LTB cycle continue for groups with structures? -- MAZEIKISJ

The entire structure system is being removed, including long-term benefits. However, your question made me realize there may be some MHOs who were up for an LTB at the end of 2020. Let me get with GM Elysani and SGM Galene to discuss 2020 LTBs.

Prize Closet Questions

>> May we see this 'new' prize list? -- SHADYLADY

We are working on it. We will update the MHO Guide with all of this information and link it here when that is completed.

>> Do you mean that from this point on a Tier 1 group gets 1 item in their prize closet, their insignia, and that Tier 2 groups get 5 items of which 3 have to be insignias? -- LUXELLE

Yes, but on the insignia-only items, there are a variety of nouns being discussed, such as amulet, insignia, ribbon, tabard, surcoat, sash, medallion, pin, crest, coat-or-arms, arms, emblem, pennon, banner, pennant, symbol, oriflamme, flag, or bannerette. This way, you can design multiple items to represent your MHO in different ways. In addition, it was my understanding (and perhaps I am wrong), but the 'insignia' could also be those key event commemmorative pieces that maybe just need the year changed on them. I'm still getting back up to speed, so I'll get some clarification on that.

>> Now onto some concerns though- first and foremost, the prize closet. My MHO's prize closet is stocked with RP props as opposed to random prizes/gifts- among these, not only the two official insignias but also clothing items (grey outerwear for apprentice members and heraldic outerwear for full members), but things like writable/foldable parchment, quills, pennons, officer insignias, etc. Given that these are RP props as opposed to prize items, is there a chance there can be some discussion with the officers of each MHO that makes the cut in order to judiciously grandfather in some of these RP-integral items? -- MAZEIKISJ

>> We’ve been an MHO for a very long time and have a very extensive prize closet, are we losing all our items but 5? -- KATARA

It is my understanding prize closets have grown well beyond the original scope and intention. However, I also recognize that everyone was following what was laid out and what was being allowed, and I appreciate the concerns. Let me take this back to the group so we can discuss the most equitable way to handle items already in the prize closet.

Thanks!!

Yes, I bolded my thanks! I wanted the end statement to stand out too...thank you, and I mean that so sincerely. You all are awesome, and you are bringing up good questions. As the new old kid on the block, I apologize for not having specifically ready answers for some of these items. I will get back to you though after conferring with the team.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 10:50 AM CDT
Hello, Elysani, thank you for your years of dedication to the MHO system! Xynwen, welcome back to the helm!

An email to a google group was mentioned in the original post. My MHO has never received a message via this system. Can our contact email on file please be added? Please let me know if you need it again and I will make sure to email you.

It also leaves me wondering what we've missed out on over the few short years we've been around...? Have other developments been shared with that email list serv?

Thank you,
Ysaeril's player
Officer of Caeruil Atelier
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 10:54 AM CDT
Oh no no need for apologies! Thank you for taking the time to address some of our concerns so far! I'm not entirely certain if my group is due in the LTB cycle, and to be honest it'd be a shame to miss out on some of those perks we had already been planning out, but I'm just relieved the structure itself is sticking around.

Which does bring up another concernicus that, these grandfathered structures- say a group drops a tier for whatever circumstance and the structure presumably closes, is there a grace period to have it opened back up or the opportunity to reopen it, or once it's closed it's gone?

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 11:22 AM CDT

Thank you for your consideration. We would be heartbroken to lose our prize closet.. heartbroken!

Kat
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 11:23 AM CDT
>> however I see no incentive for a Tier 1 MHO to now gain Tier 2 status and this concerns me from a Roleplay point. -- WLEONARD

This should free you up from having to jump through hoops to gain Tier 2 and instead let you focus on your RP and your MHO's purpose. By doing only one reported event a year for 2 years, you'll get moved up to Tier 2 and get a few expanded benefits.

>> it took a lot of hard work a dedication from many people who branched out to start their own MHO to get where they are today and yet somehow I feel as if our effort to create something for all of Elanthia isn't being looked at and considered. -- WLEONARD

We definitely appreciate all the hard work and dedication from all our MHO participants and all the players who go to events and roleplay their hearts out. The player community is ever-rich with amazing surprises, and we love it! Supporting players in their efforts is one of my favourite things about being a GM!

Changes do not mean that what went before is not appreciated. It definitely is.

>> My last concern is understanding the Requirements for the News 4 system which I've been using for 6 years now. I recently submitted a News item via the Hall News system, and its seems as if some of the requirements have changed. For example the issue with time. Previously the requirement was that time in the News be submitted in this Format: 9 P.M. and now the requirement is that we make it elven time. I would just like a clear update at some point to how these need to be worded for future reference. -- WLEONARD

I appreciate you wanting clarification. To be clear, I did not request you remove P.M. I requested you add the time zone, so it is clear when your event is. While we hope everyone assumes everything is in eastern time, assumptions can be dangerous, and the more clear your event is, the easier it will be for others to find it and show up on time. This is pretty standard for NEWS items, but I'm sure not everyone catches it all the time. I see one I missed in NEWS 4 right now even!

As an FYI, removing the P.M. made it more unclear, but because this was submitted only 2 days before your event, I didn't want to delay it further by sending it back. Therefore, I published it as-is. I figured given that it said 'evening' and was for stargazing, people would hopefully assume evening; I hated to do that, but I also know how frustrating a back and forth on news items and criers can be and wanted to minimize that and get your event in the news ASAP.

HALL NOTES 10 has the info still -- submit the dates Elanthian style. It doesn't address times. However, times should be eastern and it is best to indicate 'elven' just so everyone stays aware. So for example: Come to see us on Restday, the 20th of Imaerasta (Sunday, September 20th) at 8 PM elven. in front of Moot Hall, Wehnimer's Landing. We promise booze. [Note: Not a real announcement. I will not have booze outside Moot Hall this Sunday...sorry!]

Hope this helps!

>>It also leaves me wondering what we've missed out on over the few short years we've been around...? Have other developments been shared with that email list serv? -- PURPLEKY

I'm still learning my way around the google group. Let me check on getting you added. It's my understanding that no communication hits there that doesn't also hit the boards, so you should be fine.

>> Which does bring up another concernicus that, these grandfathered structures- say a group drops a tier for whatever circumstance and the structure presumably closes, is there a grace period to have it opened back up or the opportunity to reopen it, or once it's closed it's gone? -- MAZEIKISJ

Technically, it should be gone, but we aren't completely heartless, so yes, extenuating circumstances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis; we don't want you to lose your structures either. This is covered in the announcement under the 'communication is key' piece, FYI.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 12:13 PM CDT
Thanks for the quick response.

I agree with the not having to JUMP through hoops to gain Tier 2 status, especially since it took roughly about 2 years for a new MHO in the old system to get anything substantial to be able to maintain roleplaying for the GemStone community. I just don't see much benefit for an MHO in the new system to gain Renowned Status from the current updates being mentioned. Now the old ones of maintaining the Renowned status that's a different matter.

I will read the information from the in game Hall Notes 10 information for further clarification on future submissions.

Thanks for pointing that out I forgot about that! Very Helpful
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 12:16 PM CDT
I have to agree with Rovvigen, Katara, Bristenn and all the other CHE officers when I ask that current MHOs with a prize closet be allowed to keep their current prize closet items. Change is difficult, and most of us are so set in our ways that we don't like it, admittedly. But I can also recognize the need for the changes. Please, just consider not taking away something current MHOs have worked for, within the rules at the time they were obtained, when there's no pressing need or benefit to the game to remove current content that requires no GM time at all. Not allowing new content I can (begrudgingly) understand. I can't speak for everyone else, but I know we have had increasing difficulty with attendance as a MHO, and it seems to have gotten even worse over the past year. I appreciate the reduced event requirements, but I sure wish there was a way that we could get more folks interested in MHO-hosted events in general.

Mikalmas
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 12:32 PM CDT
>> I sure wish there was a way that we could get more folks interested in MHO-hosted events in general. -- ROBERTSM8

Agreed. This is something I've always wanted, back when I was running CHE events as an Officer, and for MHOs and CHEs when I was a GM before. It's one of those ongoing struggles, for sure. Once we get through these changes and get the new system in place and such, this would be a topic I would like to really dig into with all of you and see what we can come up with. The world of Elanthia would be drastically different and absolutely for the worse if it were not for the amazing players and the player run organizations that do so much.

(and I've heard your voice being added to the others re: prize closets, so thank you for the input!)

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
>Emails for MHO business should go to GS4-MHO@PLAY.NET
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 01:45 PM CDT
>>Come to see us on Restday, the 20th of Imaerasta (Sunday, September 20th) at 8 PM elven. in front of Moot Hall, Wehnimer's Landing. We promise booze. [Note: Not a real announcement. I will not have booze outside Moot Hall this Sunday...sorry!] -- XYNWEN

DAMNIT!!! I wanted scotch!

Thanks Up Front:

Elysani, I am sorry to see you go, but everyone must move on, and I understand that. Thank you for your service over the years.

Xynwen, I look forward to working with you as the new MHO GM, and I am certain that you will do a wonderful job.

Now on to the part that tends to get people defensive...

I know that this has been stated multiple times in this thread, by multiple people, but I do not believe that we can beat this dead horse enough...MHO's that have been around for a long time [like so many that have spoken up here already] have invested a LOT of time, energy, creativity and even tears to generate not only their structures, but that of their prize closets. We have heard from Mika [ <3 Mika!! ] specifically mentioning that everything up to this point has been in line with the active MHO guidelines of the times. To arbitrarily take, in some cases, hundreds of items from an MHO's prize closet is in all honesty a slap to the faces of everyone who put hours/days/years of effort into creating something(s) that is/are truly unique in the lands. I get the changes to structures, those are a massive time sink for an MHO GM to deal with. Grandfathering in previous structures and allowing those MHO's who have earned a structure by the end of this year to complete their new structure is a great thing as well, and shows that you truly do want to provide what was earned under the old system.

The way it is written RE:3 insignia items I believe is also a waste. As Bristenn's Player so aptly stated in his early post, insignia items are not actually "Prizes", they are RP items. Being required to have 3 insignia items as available prize items means that we wouldn't have anything to offer other than 2 options for prizes to give out at MHO events from our "Prize Closet". Add on to that what Jadzara's player added about at MOST only really needing 2 insignia items [some MHO's may want more, but I don't think that the majority would], we would be wasting that 3rd option for a prize. A possible option in this instance is to have the 1st insignia (Prominent Status) being a separate entity, and then when an MHO reaches Renowned status they gain 5 (five) Prize Closet Items from the pending list (Not requiring ANY of them to be insignia). This would make reaching Renowned status more worthwhile, as Rovvigen stated that under the current writeup, there really is no tangible benefit to go beyond Prominent.

In my honest opinion, the MHO system needed a review, and I am glad to see it happening, but I also think that the new system, as currently stated in this thread, will cause a LOT of undue anger over (specifically) the prize closet system.

Just my two silvers.

Khylynnia SparrHawk
Aelotian Bardess
L'Naereen'dar
Sonic Researcher
Scrivener of Twilight Hall
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 02:15 PM CDT
Miss Xynwyn,

I guess the TownCrier is not like most MHOs. I do not understand why we would have more than 1 insignia, let alone that 3 be required.

Additionally, it was my understanding, per the MHO Official Guide, that the prize closet was only for prizes to be given out to event participants, not to give to members.

Has this changed, too, then?

---
;tune towncrier
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 02:28 PM CDT
Luxie, you summed up one of my points in like 30 words LOL

Khylynnia SparrHawk
Aelotian Bardess
L'Naereen'dar
Sonic Researcher
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 03:01 PM CDT
>> Additionally, it was my understanding, per the MHO Official Guide, that the prize closet was only for prizes to be given out to event participants, not to give to members. -- LUXELLE

>> RALEKTALEN's post

You are correct that prizes are intended for event participants, not members/officers, and it is an area that can be open to potential abuse, and it is definitely an area that causes a significant amount of GM work. The scope of what has been allowed has grown substantially, as has the size of what is in the closets.

As an FYI, for future posters, if I don't address you specifically, rest assured I am reading and taking notes, but I also don't want to clutter the thread with a bunch of me saying "thanks, we're looking at the prize closet section." (This doesn't mean I want you to not add your voice in, please do! I just may wait several posts before doing a reply on an area already covered).

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 03:36 PM CDT
> Luxie, you summed up one of my points in like 30 words LOL

I have been writing news items for the TownCrier for ... years. Every single character gets counted, because of the limits involved :)

---
;tune towncrier
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 03:51 PM CDT
> hundreds of items from an MHO's prize closet

Hundreds? Wow. I'm stunned. Clearly the MHO I'm an officer in hasn't been taking enough advantage of such perks...

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 03:53 PM CDT
Yea if an mho has been around for 14 years lots of items. Used to be 12 items two times a year then changed to 15 items a year.

Items added up quick
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 04:03 PM CDT
Here's a reference chart for how I understand these sweeping changes will affect our organizations. There are some unknowns, and rather than guess, I left them marked unknown.

ItemMHO 2020MHO 2021Net Gain/Loss
BENEFITS
T1 Calendar entries20-2
T2 Calendar entries41-3
T3 Calendar entries6N/A-5
News items (All Tiers)YesYes0
Meeting Hall Rooms (All Tiers)YesYes0
Criers T1NoYesGained all
Criers T2YesYes0
Criers T3YesN/A0
Event Items:
Rentables T1NoCarts, Tents0
Rentables T2Carts, TentsCarts, Tents0
Raffles T1NoUnknown?
Raffles T2NoUnknown?
Raffles T33/yearUnknown?
TIERS GAME T2No1/year1
TIERS GAME T3Yes, Unlimited1/year-12+
Insignia T1No11
Insignia T2YesYes - but you must have 3
Forum Section T1NoUnknown?
Forum Section T2YesUnknown?
Private ESP Channel T1NoUnknown?
Private ESP Channel T2NoUnknown?
Private ESP Channel T3YesN/A?
Structure T3 +1 yearYesNone, unless already exists- everything
Prize Closet T315/year2, plus 3 insignia-13
Long Term Benefits T3+YesNone- all
Shared Event CreditYesNo- all
REQUIREMENTS
Tier 11 event/year1 event/year0
Tier 22 events/year plus 6 months active status2 events/year0
Tier 36 events/year plus 12 months active statusN/A4 less events/year
Remain Tier 33 Events every 6 monthsN/A4 less events/year
Get Structure1 year of T3 StatusNone- everything
ItemMHO 2020MHO 2021Net Gain/Loss

---
;tune towncrier
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 04:06 PM CDT
Nice reference chart to see the updated changes from how I think many people understood the changes.

Thanks Luxelle very useful
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 04:09 PM CDT
No wonder it's being clamped down. That is an insane amount of items.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 04:29 PM CDT
Adding my heartfelt thanks and best wishes to GM Elysani who has steadfastly supported us for years and welcome back to GM Xynwen.

The changes to MHO support are long overdue as I can only imagine the workload it creates for the GM concerned. I would, however, like to echo the plea for grandfathering in the existing prize closets. Judging by the comments posted here and subsequent responses from Xynwen, I clearly misinterpreted the original post having assumed prize closets were a given and the new rules applied going forward. This revelation has come as quite a shock!

I have been running Fashion Week and related events for 5 years now, as well as publishing Elanthian Vogue for almost 3. The items created for the prize closet are to support both these endeavours and I would be extremely disappointed to lose them at this point. Considerable thought and effort went into designing them all with a view to them supporting fashion-themed events and promoting role play - surely something that should be encouraged through the MHO system?

Again, thank you Elysani and I hope some consideration will be given to the concerns raised going forward.

>>https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese_Bayvel-Timsh'l
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 04:33 PM CDT

Please forgive me but something you said rubbed me the wrong way. “Potential abuse”

I’m sorry but I know and have known many MHO officers and the vast majority of prizes from the closet, that are paid for btw, are handed out. If an officer retains an item now and again it shouldn’t be an issue. This isn’t fraud type problem, no one is going out and selling a spell item or a belt worn container for a huge markup over and over. That’s absurd. All these prizes as far as I know are used by the recipient.

Over the years the closets have been stacked with prize items and rp items and utility items. Nothing in any prize closet is game unbalancing and to state otherwise and say they could be abused isn’t accurate. I just cannot see anyway a spell item that disintegrates or a alchemy jar or a container of some type can be “abused” by an officer. I promise no one is painting miniatures of them in explicit positions and selling them on the black market. A flap open pouch painting isn’t a big seller.

The type of people that run MHO and CHE are hard working, honorable people by in large. I know there have been issues in the past with a few members over petty arguments, etc but as far as I’ve seen or heard no one has been chastised for opening their cloak in a dark alley and selling a hair ribbon for ten million silvers or a tea packet with the promise of afternoon bliss. It’s just absurd, I’m sorry. I don’t want to be argumentative but I also don’t want to be lumped in as a “potential abuser.”

I’m entirely too cute to be called names.
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 05:04 PM CDT
>> KATARA's post on my use of the phrase "potential abuse"

As I've stated, I am extremely pro-PROs and have already given my bona fides, etc. on that, so need to worry about whether or not I know how amazing MHO/CHE peeps are as I definitely do! By stating that prize closets are an area of potential abuse, I am stating a fact. It is an area that can potentially be abused. I am not stating that any particular person or group is currently doing so. Nor am I casting aspersions on any of the wonderful MHO officers and members out there.

>> LUXELLE's most excellent chart

Raffles: As these are not a fully automated system and require GM intervention to do, these will not be offered in the new system. If there comes a time where there is a way to set up and run one without GM intervention, I will gladly take this back to the team to review and see if we can add back in.

TIERS: I've actually not used this system. I will ask on it. If it is something that is fully automated, perhaps we can look at more than 1x/year.

--Xynwen--
World Team, MHO GM
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 05:44 PM CDT
If Raffles are not going to be allowed, may I suggest a way a MHO can have one of those automated Raffle/Auction block items to use?

It's not like we can go out and spend our own silvers to buy one.

Another item sorely missing for an organization is a SPINNER item. That would be wonderful to be able to use, too. Again, one cannot buy them at a festival or something.

---
;tune towncrier
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 05:59 PM CDT
>> Another item sorely missing for an organization is a SPINNER item. That would be wonderful to be able to use, too. Again, one cannot buy them at a festival or something.

Hi Luxelle - I agree this is something that a house should be able to acquire directly but if you need a spinner I believe I have a few spinner items left over from an EG a number of years back (they were handed out as live contest prizes).

Just send Faulkil a thought in game or shoot me an email at my play.net address.

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 06:29 PM CDT
Hey everyone! After extensive thought on this topic, and discussion with several other players I have come to an understanding on this topic that I think is the intent behind the overhaul.

First and foremost I believe that this revision has been long overdue, and I really do thank you both for your work on this topic.

Over the years, not only has the currently standing policy for MHO's been a massive burden on the MHO GM's, but it has essentially allowed the MHO's to become mini CHE's. I am under the impression/belief that this was not the initial intent for MHO's. The Prize closet system is a great system for both MHO's and CHE's, and it should be maintained in the MHO guidelines, but to a MUCH lesser degree than has been in place until now. The original system of 12 items every 6 months was insane, and to a lesser degree so is the recent system of 15 per year.

It is my opinon that this number should be reduced significantly for MHO's and also that we should apply a total item cap to MHO prize closets. I know that this concept will bring up some argument, but as I said, I am opining here. I would think that a reduction to 1-2 items per year for an MHO is an acceptable level. MHO's are not CHE's and should not be afforded the same level of benefit that a CHE holds.

I would also say that no longer allowing new MHO structures is a good thing as well, or at the very least, severely limiting the number of rooms that an MHO is available to construct.

On the other side of the coin I have to say that the heavy handed approach to this revision is a bit over the top. First the 3 insignia items (I know I covered this before, but I am putting everything in one post for cohesion). The vast majority of MHO's would have minimal use for more than 1 insignia item. Add to this the fact that prize closet items are intended as prizes for MHO events which are held to the public, this limits the available pool of possible items that people would be able to select from to 2. If a Hall sponsors events regularly, and the same person manages to win a prize from the closet, after 2 events, there is absolutely no incentive for that character to attend another MHO event sponsored by that house.

In a previous post, Mikalmas mentioned that we are already having trouble with MHO event attendance, and if we run a single TIERS game, there can be multiple winners, effectively removing a fist full of characters from future events.

tl;dr MHO Review is a good thing, but let's do it smartly.

Khylynnia SparrHawk
Aelotian Bardess
L'Naereen'dar
Sonic Researcher
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 06:40 PM CDT

Luxelle hon,

I have an auction block thingy - if you need it in the future just hit me up and you can borrow it! Just bring it back with no food stains or whiskey stains :)

Hugs

Kat
Re: Meeting Hall Organizations, Updates, and You! 09/19/2020 07:36 PM CDT
Tossing in my echo on the "please grandfather in existing prize closets as-is," and adding a "please let MHO's who are getting the last structures this year also get a chance at the 'old-style' closet."

I agree that the MHO system was too similar to the CHE system and was likely a big headache on the management side, so I am on board with the reduction in hands-on service level going forward. I would like to add support for access to some kind of (maybe rentable) auction block or spinner for officers to help us with prizes and fundraising. To be honest, I'd like that for CHE's as well!

Last question - under the new system, will applications for new MHO's be re-opened?

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Prev_page Previous 1