Prev_page Previous 1
Where are you from? 03/24/2015 10:09 PM CDT
Well... we have this shiny new folder, so we may as well use it to talk about stuff. Here's some questions:

1) What part(s) of the Empire are your character(s) from?

2) What made you pick those areas?

3) Is there any particular lore about that part of the Empire you'd like to see fleshed out more?

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Where are you from? 03/24/2015 10:30 PM CDT
>3) Is there any particular lore about that part of the Empire you'd like to see fleshed out more?

Personally, I'm a little bit fascinated by the Tehir.

Auchand

"I have passed through fire and deep water, since we parted. I have forgotten much that I thought I knew, and learned again much that I had forgotten. I can see many things far off, but many things that are close at hand I cannot see."
Re: Where are you from? 03/24/2015 11:11 PM CDT
Aydan is from Phannus, in the county of Seareach. I chose that because my interpretation on the little bits of lore available for it gave me a sort of cosmopolitan Mediterranean feel (specifically kind of Greek/Turkish), both due to being a major hub for trade routes, and being on the border of the Sea of Fire.

It ultimately didn't influence much on the character, seeing that he's far more a bastardization now of Vornavian and Riverwoodian (that sounds funny) but it was a good base to start from.

As for what I'd like to see fleshed out? The interworkings of the relationships between the emperor and the province rulers. While it's clear how the basics work (Duke is higher than Earl is higher than Count is higher than Baron), under that kind of system the emperor would probably be more like a king than an emperor. But given that several of the provinces actually were kingdoms before being incorporated into the Empire, such as Torre and Hendor, that's probably enough of a technicality to make him a King of Kings. But not THE King of Kings, at least I'm pretty sure he's not.

So I'd like to see how that really works in practice, as my sense of it leaves me thinking that the Sentinels have more or less the authority of a king over their region. And I'd like to know how centralized the power and authority the emperor holds over them really is. Given how free Talador was acting, and Jantalar before it, and even Idolone before it recalled the fleets, makes me think it's really not a very centralized state, since he tends to depend on Earl Jovery to keep the north in line rather than send his own men in to keep order.

I'd also like to see the document on Imperial ranks and distinctions. I'd like to see it very much.

-AM
Re: Where are you from? 03/24/2015 11:39 PM CDT
>1) What part(s) of the Empire are your character(s) from?
Seomanthe is from Krestle but spent most of her youth and young-adulthood in Fasthr's Monastery outside of it.

>2) What made you pick those areas?
I didn't want to play a snooty or racist type character and the proximity of both the monastery and the Wyrdeep led me to conclude that the humans on the eastern side of the Empire were probably a little more tolerant in general of ordlyn and hathlyn. In addition to that, the info available about Bourth indicated that there was some regular contact between the humans and the elves in the forest, and I further concluded that some of those elves might have heard the call and joined the Order, which would give me the excuse I wanted to have Seomanthe be more easygoing and tolerant.

>3) Is there any particular lore about that part of the Empire you'd like to see fleshed out more?
Obviously I am biased toward the eastern part, with all those juicy opportunities for drama between humans and non-humans. I'd also (of course) vote for more insight into life near the Demonwall. And as players we get to watch court life in the elven nations all the time, but we know practically nothing about the court in Tamzyrr! I guess what I'm saying is, I want info about all the things, lol.

/seo/
Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 12:41 AM CDT
>And as players we get to watch court life in the elven nations all the time, but we know practically nothing about the court in Tamzyrr!

I'd love to know more about that too

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 05:33 AM CDT
Xorus is from the Southron Wastes, but he was there when the Kannalan Empire burned. He was all over the place the past thousand years, but I have not pinned much down specifically.

I would like to see more on the court of Tamzyrr, and how the power relations work in detail.

- Xorus' player

A grizzled old warrior rubs his shoulder and glances up at the sky. "Feels like the weather is changing," he says.
Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 07:05 AM CDT
>>1) What part(s) of the Empire are your character(s) from?

Bristenn's bloodline and the House of Mires hails from Immuron in Honneland on his father's side, and his mother's is more murky and less documented- specifically from the North, but after a few generations on the frontier and no family name or patents, there's little evidence to pinpoint the exact origin, which is probably Talador during its first fifty-seven year run as a fully fledged barony or Mestanir.

>>2) What made you pick those areas?

I believe as it worked out, when I initially picked Honneland and this was over a dozen years ago, my understanding of lore was dim and there's wasn't much of it to consume- and it wasn't a choice at character creation (we still had the age = levels thing goin' on and permanent features). At that time as well, Bristenn's backstory was still in its relative infancy due to the experiment of starting a blank slate. I really just went by name, and I liked the Anglo-Saxon sort of feel to it. Only later on did I start delving into the lore and think 'hey this is pretty neat and serendipitous.'

>>3) Is there any particular lore about that part of the Empire you'd like to see fleshed out more?

Seconding Aydan's response, and of course I'd like to see more of the Rysus Codex and the laws laid down by it fleshed out- not just pertaining to daily life but how different social classes interact and what's expected/acceptable of each. I'd also like to see an updated map with political borders, roads/highways/river systems and even demarcations of different points of interest (like say Lanark Falls outside of Krinklehorn in Dragach, or the Crown of Koar outside of Mestanir, etc) and holdings. So far we've got major cities (and generally provincial capitols), but it's of course missing a fair amount of stuff.

I'd also really like to see that elusive doc always mentioned at Human/Landing meetings. And maybe a doc detailing the militaries each province can/has fielded. But I'll read anything Empire-related and commit it to memory!

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 08:21 AM CDT
Personally, I'm a little bit fascinated by the Tehir.
Auchand

Yes, yes, we are indeed a fascinating people. Fascinating, violent, artistic...we're survivors. Sort of like the cockroaches of Elanthia. When all is said and done, and the end has come and gone, there will still be Tehir, with their veils and yierka spurs.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 09:42 AM CDT
I like...let's see....

Talador, Sea of Fire, Idolone, Brisker's Cove, Hendor. Not necessarily in that order.

I figured we needed a Turamzzyrian Empire folder, because eventually all of the other town folders will just be sub-categories of this one, you know? HUMAN IMPERIAL WORLD DOMINATION!

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 09:47 AM CDT
>>As for what I'd like to see fleshed out? The interworkings of the relationships between the emperor and the province rulers. While it's clear how the basics work (Duke is higher than Earl is higher than Count is higher than Baron), under that kind of system the emperor would probably be more like a king than an emperor. But given that several of the provinces actually were kingdoms before being incorporated into the Empire, such as Torre and Hendor, that's probably enough of a technicality to make him a King of Kings. But not THE King of Kings, at least I'm pretty sure he's not.

>>I'd also like to see the document on Imperial ranks and distinctions. I'd like to see it very much.

This documentation is coming sooner rather than later and was done by the awesome GM Auchand.

In addition, I'm knee deep in a document titled "The Orders of the Turamzzyrian Empire" which will give some information, some detailed, some more vague, about various organizations rooted in the Empire. The main categories will be Magical organizations, Martial organizations, Religious organizations and Unlawful organizations. However, so far my list of organizations is at 75...so the work progresses. :)

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 10:06 AM CDT
>I figured we needed a Turamzzyrian Empire folder, because eventually all of the other town folders will just be sub-categories of this one, you know? HUMAN IMPERIAL WORLD DOMINATION!

I knew I liked you for a reason.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 02:37 PM CDT
I never answered my own questions...

Raelee was born in The Swale in Chastonia. She spent most of her childhood there. She spent some of her teen years in Elstreth in Aldora. (She liked Elstreth. She was probably more comfortable there than anywhere else she's lived.) And while she's never lived there, she has a lot of Hendoran blood. (She's a member of the first Svala generation born in Chastonia. Her mother is Chastonian. But, her father all previous generations of the Svala line were born in South Hendor.)

I think I was cherry-picking cities where the docs mentioned satellite colleges of the Hall were located. As to why I settled on her being born in The Swale as opposed to Nydds, Elstreth or Tamzyrr... I wish I remembered, but I honestly don't.

I always want to know more about the Hall - not just about the hierarchy, but what its members actually DO. And while it doesn't pertain specifically to any of the regions I mentioned above, I would definitely like to know more about daily life in general... and more about general cultural attitudes from region to region.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: Where are you from? 03/25/2015 03:52 PM CDT
>>I always want to know more about the Hall - not just about the hierarchy, but what its members actually DO. And while it doesn't pertain specifically to any of the regions I mentioned above, I would definitely like to know more about daily life in general... and more about general cultural attitudes from region to region.

This is coming. :)

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Where are you from? 03/26/2015 12:29 AM CDT

I figured we needed a Turamzzyrian Empire folder, because eventually all of the other town folders will just be sub-categories of this one, you know? HUMAN IMPERIAL WORLD DOMINATION!

Wait a second.. Order of the Night's Blade is far south there and Redding was human... and I'm a... a... Sylvan!

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Where are you from? 03/26/2015 10:53 AM CDT
I LOVE ALDORA AND ALLACE!!

I'm also fascinated with The Antler on Idolone, and I wish I could be there to hear the drowned spirits wailing. But ultimately, I think my Chastonian heart lives somewhere between The Swale and Toullaire. Annnnd, I'm just realizing that I'm heavily invested in the south!

I've been toying with the idea of playing a character from Nydds. I love all the lore we have for that area. City of Flowers? Yes, please.

Brisker's Cove makes me giggle, and sometimes when I see snooty people in real life, I imagine they're actually from there. Pinkies up!

~Galene
Re: Where are you from? 03/26/2015 10:55 AM CDT
>I'm also fascinated with The Antler on Idolone, and I wish I could be there to hear the drowned spirits wailing. But ultimately, I think my Chastonian heart lives somewhere between The Swale and Toullaire. Annnnd, I'm just realizing that I'm heavily invested in the south!

Southern Imperials FTW!

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: Where are you from? 03/26/2015 02:51 PM CDT
You heard it here first! Galene and Raelee just said the south will rise again!

...kidding!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Where are you from? 03/26/2015 06:13 PM CDT
I'm also a sucker for South Hendor due to Nydds == Oxford/Cambridge type connection and premise behind it and North Hendor, they're the remnants of a kingdom that successfully held the rising Turamzzyrian Empire at bay and in the process, kind of represented a better path forward in terms of race and political structure. Stupid Witch Winter. I also have a fondness for mountainous areas, but also a soft spot for Aldora's Elstreth with it being one of the remaining cities of the Kannalan civilization.

And, obviously, TORRE.

<<You heard it here first! Galene and Raelee just said the south will rise again!

AWESOME.

GM Scribes
Re: Where are you from? 03/26/2015 11:05 PM CDT
>Brisker's Cove makes me giggle, and sometimes when I see snooty people in real life, I imagine they're actually from there. Pinkies up!

Hey...

Juramis is from Brisker's Cove... and...

Okay, you might have a point. He does sell wine from time to time.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Where are you from? 03/27/2015 06:36 AM CDT
Does Brisker's Cove have a GIANT GREAT WHITE SHARK!?
Re: Where are you from? 03/27/2015 08:22 AM CDT

It does have a nice manor there with a nice secret lair under it. Currently unused as well the owner had a slight accident.
Re: Where are you from? 03/27/2015 03:48 PM CDT
>It does have a nice manor there with a nice secret lair under it. Currently unused as well the owner had a slight accident.

The manor did not fare any better than its previous owner. Apparently all out magical battles are not very good for the structural integrity of manors or the lairs hidden underneath.

-Lydil
Re: Where are you from? 03/27/2015 04:23 PM CDT

Although she hates to admit and/or talk about it, Bekke is from Allace.

It all began with a battered vultite Ublish shield as a Historical win, and a backstory was built.

Add a cat (pets are given seven days after a child is born) that shaped a personality, and there's more story. I've actually taken bits and pieces of the very little that's known of Allace and embellished a bit for additional reasons as to why my character is the way she is regarding certain things. Her home is near the water, her custom perfume win from Talador smells like coastal breezes, she's comfortable on ships of all kinds- that sort of thing.

The Gypsy fortunteller seems to think Bekke will someday go home, but she really, really can't see that happening. You know, she did run from the Empire the first chance she got...

I would love to be a part of creating some documentation of these places we've always imagined!

Christine
Re: Where are you from? 03/27/2015 11:37 PM CDT
Brisker's Cove is right between the popular Turamzzyrian destinations of Knott's Landing and Falcon Crest.

Their traditional dress includes shoulderpads and fabulous hair.

Auchand

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
Re: Where are you from? 03/28/2015 12:04 PM CDT
>Well... we have this shiny new folder, so we may as well use it to talk about stuff. Here's some questions:

Arrec is from Gallardshold in the Barony of Bourth. At the age of 20, he joined the Order of Voln and underwent his initial (level 0!) training in Fasthr's Monastery outside Krestle.

It was a tossup, to be honest, and I almost chose Aldora because I love the Order of Voln and incorporating it into my RP. <3 I thought a half-elf from Bourth would be fun to play, given the close proximity to the Wyrdeep and, in particular, the division between those who support Chaston's Edict in regards to the Elves there and those who do not. Figure it could make for an.. interesting early life for a hathlyn.

Hmm! The Tehir, I think. I know we have the official docs, but it feels like there is so much more that could be told. Luckily, we do have some very dedicated Tehir players who've done a great job filling in some gaps via their own specific tribes' lore.
Re: Where are you from? 03/29/2015 01:33 PM CDT
1. A vineyard in eastern Aldora.

2. Archales dislikes hunting undead, and wanted an event to provide a context for that dislike, and the horned cabal and the order of voln in Elstreth seemed like an excellent backdrop at the time, and made an excellent starting point for his long exodus from the Turamzzyrian Empire.

3. I'd love to see more of the northern baronies like Jantalar, Talador, Vornavis, but i'd also like a few more peeks into the machinations at the heart of the empire itself in Taamzyr or the corruption going on behind the altar in the Church of Koar. I feel like I've learned enough about tehir, they shrink at the thought of blood rituals, love coffee and making sacrifices and live in the desert, got it ;p

Archales
Re: Where are you from? 03/30/2015 09:32 AM CDT

Hadya is from the Sea of Fire. She is from a Band of tribes or clan. Her tribe is called Senkara. Which, okay technically isn't apart of the Empire. I have other characters one who is from Dragach.

At the time, Tehir were largely undocumented and there was little to no lore. With the help of a lot of dedicated players to the culture, I was able to develop Hadya's tribe, her moral and cultural background and dialect, I still use it after ten years, I don't intend to ever stop. :)

(My opinion is that player dialect, sounds a lot better than official. I don't ever see Hadya using official unless she absolutely has to.)

Partly, Metadi (I always thought he played it well.)... other part? Because it was sort of vague, there isn't a lot of docs on Dragach... Never any news about Dragach.. So, perfect.

DRAGACH, I want to know more about it. How they feel about things, their codes blah blah.. there isn't much about Dragach out there except for a few paragraphs. And of course, more about Tehir, I love me some Tehir, mmmmm.

You abruptly say, "I'd rather be eaten by a vathor than deal with a cuddly gnome."
Speaking knowingly to you, Rozy exclaims, "Am bet are good at snuggles, and cuddles and smoochifications!"
AIM: LadyViridian
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 04:34 PM CDT

>Hmm! The Tehir, I think. I know we have the official docs, but it feels like there is so much more that could be told. Luckily, we do have some very dedicated Tehir players who've done a great job filling in some gaps via their own specific tribes' lore.

Been thinking a little more about this question, and actually, I would like to know more about the Elves of the Wyrdeep. We know that they're there, and that they've lived there since Chaston's Edict was passed, but aside from the blurb regarding trade with people of Bourth, how do they live? Are they like, to use an example most recent in my mind, the Dalish of Dragon Age who live emulating their ancestors before the days of the Patriarchs? Also, is 'Elves' in regards to those of Wyrdeep is a catch-all term that includes any scattered sylvankind and dark elves that may have called the region home?

The Empire's a vast place, but it'd be neat to find out a little more about these kinds of things.

~Arrec's Player
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 04:45 PM CDT

Agree with you Arrec - I'd like to know more of the Elves in the forest for those reasons if nothing else. As a player, I kind of wish I did enter that forest, but as both a Sylvan and a Ronanite, I opted not to upon hearing the rumors and tales of the forest.. and especially not take anything out of the forest.

I wonder if we're going to see the Sea of Fire in the future or not.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 04:52 PM CDT
<I wonder if we're going to see the Sea of Fire in the future or not.>

I trust in Kenstrom!

Heh, yes very likely as that is where Stone escaped to and I believe he may have even posted a hint or declaration in the past as such. The Sea of Fire was also mentioned in game alot so I'm sure that thread will see us there at some point.
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 04:55 PM CDT
Last snippet he wrote was that Stone was in the Sea of Fire it looked.
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 05:36 PM CDT
I suppose my sorcerer character would want to know more about what happened in Kai Toka and the Wizardwaste. The Horned Cabal, too, he would have been helping them.

I was gone for a good long while, so I am not sure what has been established beyond the easily found lore.

- Xorus' player
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 05:42 PM CDT
It's not well documented. The best lore is probably the stuff in the Order of Voln history.
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 06:05 PM CDT

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/The_Empire%27s_Expatriates:_The_Elves_of_Wyrdeep

- Guards haul off the stupid corpse. -
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 06:13 PM CDT
Oooh. Thanks for that, Greganth! Looks like this came out during my overlong hiatus. Got me some light readin' to do~

~Arrec's Player
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 06:55 PM CDT

The Sea of Fire, Land of the Tehir

Radeek was almost a dark elf, I think it might have even been a coin toss that made him human. Being human I saw only one option available to play him how I envisioned... Tehir

3) Is there any particular lore about that part of the Empire you'd like to see fleshed out more?

The city of Phannus. I'd like to see something on that. I picture it as a desert trading town, full of Tehir and Empire alike, bustling with merchants. Maybe there will even be an Imperial soldier and he might even say "These are not the Tehir we're looking for", who knows?

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 07:05 PM CDT
>Maybe there will even be an Imperial soldier and he might even say "These are not the Tehir we're looking for", who knows?

An imperial officer knowingly inquires, "Is that a gaffi stick in your robe, or are you happy to see me?"
Re: Where are you from? 03/31/2015 07:46 PM CDT
<<The best lore is probably the stuff in the Order of Voln history.>> - Geijon

I just remembered I have only ever skimmed this document. It has a lot of useful theological disputes and Horned Cabal battle details. The text itself has obvious biases in it, as well, which is useful in its own way. My primary character has a very different theory of what the Order of Voln actually exists to do, whether the masters of the Order are aware of it or not. I might make one of my others into one of "The Fallen" who was rooted out by the Shield and Sickle.

The Voln origin myth has always stood out as odd to me, in its context with Elanthian history, because the time of Voln becoming a known quantity would be known with certainty by the Elves (or else have happened in the Age of Darkness.) It would just be odd to have a widely-known obsessed anti-Undead lesser deity prior to Despana. Maybe it was the time period in the Age of Chaos when the Illistim libraries were decaying. But, even then, a new pantheon member...

It would be interesting if those who followed Fineval into the Southron Wastes ended up somehow being the founders of the Horned Cabal.

- Xorus' player
Re: Where are you from? 04/01/2015 09:21 AM CDT

Cryheart was born and raised in the County of Honneland.

With the borders distant, the primary source of high adventure lies within the treacherous Wizardwaste, for those brave or foolish enough to enter. The knights of this realm have taken a fancy to great tournaments and festivals to gain glory and fame. Also they were known for having a lot of wild horses. Heh!

I liked the idea of the Silver Shields. "Named in honor of the legendary Emperor Immuros, Immuron is a well-fortified city that can act in times of war as a military stronghold. It was built upon the site of the ill-fated city of Gor'nustre, and proudly served for centuries as the outermost defense of the Empire. The people are orderly and peaceful, with the peace assured by the overt military presence of the Silver Shields, Immuron's city guard."

Cryheart
Re: Where are you from? 04/01/2015 09:36 AM CDT
<<It would be interesting if those who followed Fineval into the Southron Wastes ended up somehow being the founders of the Horned Cabal.

FYI, in the original draft of the Order's history, Fineval was executed by Imperial forces when he refused to deviate from his mission of releasing the undead in Imperial territory.

GM Scribes
Prev_page Previous 1