Prev_page Previous 1
Pathways 08/24/2007 02:08 AM CDT
Just had a chance to skim this, but I read the three categories you posted, Wythor.

I'd propose a subcategory under Influence, or a revision of it's purpose. I saw a number of ideas posted in this thread that would fall in said category.

That would be Pathway Enhance. Where you aren't enhancing the matrix (focus) but enhancing the spell - the proposals that added secondary effects to spells (lightning flash, slowness, area effect, pretty colors, loud sounds) would fall in this category. The current 'pathway influence' only refers to other peoples spells - this would let you enhance your own.

Then eventually used with a meta pathway ability allowing you to combine pathways - hey, I can dream.
Re: Pathways 08/26/2007 09:02 PM CDT
(lowers power of single target spells but allows them to hit multiple targets based on skill.. one extra.. two extra)

PATHWAY SPLIT

example posted below

You struggle against your bindings to prepare the Frost Scythe spell.
You finally manage to free yourself from the webbing.

targ arma

You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a juvenile desert armadillo.

path focus split
You focus on rendering existing spell patterns with aethereal pathways to allow them to hold hit multiple targets.

targ second arma

You begin to weave faint mana lines into a target pattern around a juvenile desert armadillo.

(cast, lowers power of single target spells but allows them to hit multiple targets based on skill.. one extra.. two extra)

ACHMED

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/24/2007 06:39 PM CDT
Hey Wythor, whats going on with pathway stuff? Anything more your can share with us?

-Tropicalo
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/27/2007 08:15 AM CDT
>>Hey Wythor, whats going on with pathway stuff? Anything more your can share with us?

Some new APs have been approved for development. Before I could dig into that, however, the AP code needed to be rewritten to allow modular expansion.

All of the original code was developed with hard-coded limitations that prevented APs from doing the cool and varied things I wanted them to do. So everything from the old quest mechanics to the actual PATHWAY verb itself needed to be rewritten.

The redesign phase is actually going rather well -- the new modular mechanics are up and running with the existing APs here in our development instance. They need to be tested a bit more, then QCd and released to ensure they are working properly. That in itself will be a nice release, because it includes HELP information on each pathway you've learned (though I'm still working on the formatting).

Once the framework is stable I'll begin developing new APs in earnest. The most difficult part will be deciding which one to code first. :)

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/27/2007 02:51 PM CDT
Has an idea of pathway slots been kicked around any? It would lead even further away from the cookie-cutter WM if we had to choose our pathways like we chose our spells.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/27/2007 05:46 PM CDT
<<Has an idea of pathway slots been kicked around any>>

Or could we just leave it alone, get them all, and only use what you feel is useful to you?

Rigek
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/27/2007 08:00 PM CDT
>Or could we just leave it alone, get them all, and only use what you feel is useful to you?

Of course we could. But sometimes a limiting factor like deciding which way you want to go can create negative aspects to balance a really good ability. Balance is something that the GMs seem to be striving for, no matter how unfortunate the consequences (Ranger/Paladin magic nerf)

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/27/2007 08:24 PM CDT
if you do not like the pathway do not complete the quest. Isn't it that simple?

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/27/2007 09:00 PM CDT
My point's getting completely missed. It's cool though, it was just an idea.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/28/2007 03:04 AM CDT
Heh, calls for diversification are always met with resistance it seems. Folks would rather have mediocre abilities with no restrictions than to pick and choose more powerful abilities. This discussion has been similar to the one about elemental specialization (another idea I liked). I guess once we know more about what pathways are planned we'll see if such an idea makes sense.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/28/2007 12:33 PM CDT
I got what you were trying to suggest.

Sometimes the ability to pick and choose doesn't mean that the individual options are more powerful than otherwise. Take Barb roars, for example. Some of them everyone takes - some of them nobody takes.

Take the suggestion, a while back, about giving up entire books of magical spells in order to permanently learn Incinerate. The hardcore blackfire enthusiasts embraced it, while those of us with an eye towards, oh, I don't know, the ability to ever hunt past 70th looked at it and went HA HA YOU ARE SILLY.

I wouldn't give up the ability for my character to train skills as a WM (instead of as a Trader) in order to get an instant kill button on anyone except GMPCs.

At some point you have to realize that if you try and sell powerful abilities with strong drawbacks instead of reasonable abilities without, you tend to end up with reasonable abilities with strong drawbacks.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/28/2007 02:47 PM CDT
If choice is a matter of 'now or later', like spell selection, I'm all for it. After all, the spell not selected this time can be picked next.

If choice means closing doors on alternatives, choosing this means I can never obtain those over there, I'm against it. Regardless of what I've already chosen, what I've yet to choose should be available to me at some point in the future.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/28/2007 09:02 PM CDT
<<KAISHLOR>>

Exactly!

<<If choice is a matter of 'now or later', like spell selection, I'm all for it. After all, the spell not selected this time can be picked next.>>

Thats a good point too

Rigek
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/29/2007 07:33 AM CDT
I don't have any plans to create pathway slots, for a couple of reasons.

1. Aethereal pathways are niche tools, not the slot-restricted 'package deals' other guilds benefit from. If the other abilities can be considered swiss army knives, each Aethereal Pathway would be just a screwdriver, or a hammer, or whatever. While each one is useful for its intended purpose, it would take a toolbox full of them to equal the raw utility of other abilities that get the slot treatment.

2. I expect a rather large number of new APs being introduced over the next couple of years. There's not going to be a real rhyme or reason to the order in which they're completed, though, which means some APs with high requirements might get mixed in with some that have low requirements. If I also restrict the number of APs you can learn, there's a good chance one of the following scenarios will occur:

a) You won't have enough slots to learn all of the APs you used to use on a regular basis.

b) You have enough slots to learn all of the AP abilities you used to use on a regular basis, but don't have any empty slots when new APs you want are released.

c) You learn all of the APs you want from the current batch and still have some open slots. Unfortunately, the next several dozen APs aren't of interest to you or you don't meet the requirements, so you're left torn between learning some semi-useful APs to fill your slots or keeping them open with the hope that a better one will come along.

Any way you slice it, it would generate a good number of complaints and would not provide any real benefit.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/29/2007 11:29 AM CDT
Wythor,

Any chance of getting some of the following?

1) A TM/discipline booster.

2) A melee weapon booster.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/29/2007 10:08 PM CDT
You already have a TM booster.

Why the heck would you need another?
Also, melee weapon boost? With all of the different disables WMs have?

Been hitting the samatak, I see.
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/29/2007 10:33 PM CDT
>>Some stuff somebody wrote<<

Who are you and why should I care what you think?
Re: New Aethereal Pathways ::nudge:: 09/30/2007 01:08 AM CDT
Knock it off or take it to conflicts, eh? Otherwise I'll turn you both into mooses.

Thanks,

Wixs

With any questions or comments, feel free to contact me (Mod-Wixs@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net), or Message Board Supervisor Cecco (DR-Cecco@play.net).
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/30/2007 03:08 AM CDT
>>Also, melee weapon boost? With all of the different disables WMs have?

Other guilds have disablers, and applicable boosters. So long as it is balanced, who cares? Anyhow, my complaint with the warrior mage guild is that without mana, while in a no-familiar zone (ie, all quest areas) we are weakened more than most other guilds. We have 0 abilities that can function and this leads to much frustration.

You don't see IF-draining areas. You don't see areas of silence (no roars/screams). You don't see snipe/backstab-immune areas, or Khri-sapping areas. You don't see areas that prevent the use of communes, or predictions, or glyphs (that I am aware of anyways). So, other guilds usually have some form of ability even when mana is gone. Warrior mages, do not.

I have felt this sting many times on quests. Its too bad we can't at least have our familiar with us. And yes, aether fissure might possibly help the issue - if the mana is at least flickering. In a recent quest the mana never got above shimmering, making use of fissure quite difficult. Moreso when the group keeps moving.

I am praying very hard that pathways don't always require a spell to be cast to take effect. We need something to fall back on when mana is not available :P

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/30/2007 08:14 AM CDT
>>You don't see areas of silence (no roars/screams).

Well, I remember one recent quest (Corik's) where there was an area where anything above a whisper was dangerous for the person making noise, if not the whole party, so that was effecively a "no roar" zone.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 09/30/2007 10:49 AM CDT
Well that's cool a non-roar zone existed in one place. I guess barbs could still berserk/dance so it wasn't a huge factor in their combat effectiveness. Really, my argument isn't even that we need to penalize all guilds more on quests. I just feel as though making mana poor in an area is an easy (too easy) way to greatly interfere with our class abilities. I'd love a workaround to still have access to a few abilities.

Re: New Aethereal Pathways 10/05/2007 04:17 AM CDT
>>I am praying very hard that pathways don't always require a spell to be cast to take effect. We need something to fall back on when mana is not available :P

APs were designed with the intention of assisting spellcasting, so the most useful ones will be those that require a spell to be cast in order to function. That isn't to say we can't make APs that reduce the mana cost of spells, or that assist in overcoming the problems you've experienced, however.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: New Aethereal Pathways 10/22/2007 01:49 AM CDT
how about a brawling/ranged barrage pathway?
one that works like weapon bond with thrown stuff?(aetheral leash/tether)
one that increases melee attack accuracy while a target matrix is forming/formed?

oh yeah, anyone ever use the secrecy pathway?
Pathways 10/29/2007 10:41 AM CDT
I never realised how great of a boost accuract can become at high level untill I cast a spell that gives normal combat hit level messaging.

Without Accuracy:
>cast
You gesture at an elder desert armadillo.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
Your hairless polar bear seems to make your Stone Strike spell less straining.
A large stone boulder rips itself free of the earth, shatters into small shards and hurtles toward an elder desert armadillo!
The shards impact harmlessly with its shield.
Roundtime: 1 second.

With Accuracy:
You gesture at an elder desert armadillo.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
Your hairless polar bear seems to make your Stone Strike spell less straining.
A large stone boulder rips itself free of the earth, shatters into small shards and hurtles toward an elder desert armadillo!
The shards are partially blocked as they glance off its shield.
The shards impact causing an apocalyptic strike (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) to an elder desert armadillo's chest.
An elder desert armadillo falls over and, after a couple of spasms, is still.
Roundtime: 1 second.

-Tropicalo
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 01:39 PM CDT
Percentage boosts at ungodly skill ftw!

- Mazrian
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 01:49 PM CDT
What determines a Pathways effectiveness? I am guessing...charisma?

I can't say I ever really noticed much difference with any of the pathways.
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 02:44 PM CDT
When do we get to hear Wythor's new pathway ideas!? :)

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 03:01 PM CDT
>What determines a Pathways effectiveness? I am guessing...charisma?

I was kind of under the impression that Pathways didn't operate on any sort of sliding scale as far as stats went. I could be horribly wrong, but I just never got that feel. Maybe duration with discipline.

I like Damage + GZ. You can pretty much keep Damage up indefinitely. I sure would love to see a new magic or lore (learned like a primary skill) skill that worked with Pathways.

Also, Power will give you a little extra juice on CL. Sometimes I prep CL, pathway focus quickness, harn 4, pathway release, pathway focus power, cast. Almost perfect timing to lock in on something.

Oh yeah, and Power helps if you're trying to squeeze a little extra mana into FrS or FoS for the weapons they create.

Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 03:11 PM CDT
>prep CL, pathway focus quickness, harn 4, pathway release, pathway focus power, cast.

Using quickness for CL is less productive than using ease for fire shard.

-Tropicalo
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 03:33 PM CDT
Here's a question.

Is "pathway accuracy" equivalent to having more TM skill? Or does TM skill somehow aid both damage and accuracy?

My impression is that the mana and the spell itself determine total possible power (damage) and TM skill determines what % of that power you inflict (accuracy).

-Sephos
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 05:43 PM CDT
>>What determines a Pathways effectiveness? I am guessing...charisma?

I could have sworn it was concentration, thus discipline. I could be wrong, though.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 06:20 PM CDT
Effectiveness is static as far as I know. Some stats increase how much mojo... Manipulative Resolve, you have in reserve to use. Though your reserve only matters if you use barrage, really. It would be kinda cool if we could set how much Resolve we use per pathway use kinda like how bards can set how much mana they use with their songs, and thus increase the effectiveness of that pathway by pumping more resolve into it.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 07:44 PM CDT
Is there a way for us to check our resolve level, similar to barbarians checking inner fire or clerics checking devotion or rangers checking their nature level etc.?

If not, can we get one?
Re: Pathways 10/29/2007 08:23 PM CDT
>pathway
PATHWAY Verb Syntax: PATHWAY [option]
Options:
LIST - Lists out which Aethereal Pathway abilities you know
HELP - Gives you this help message
STOP - Ends whichever Pathway ability you may be using.
SENSE - Lets you sense your Manipulative Resolve status.
CHECK - Let's you see which Pathway ability you have active.
FOCUS [option] - Activates a specific pathway ability
Options: DAMAGE, QUICK, EASE, POWER, ACCURACY, SECRECY, PRECISE
DEFEND

Pathway sense, just for the repeating.
Re: Pathways 10/30/2007 01:23 AM CDT
>>I never realised how great of a boost accuract can become at high level untill I cast a spell that gives normal combat hit level messaging.

:) One of my favorites.

>>What determines a Pathways effectiveness? I am guessing...charisma?

The effectiveness of all current APs is static.

>>When do we get to hear Wythor's new pathway ideas!? :)

I'll post about some of 'em when I have the AP system rewrite finished.

>>My impression is that the mana and the spell itself determine total possible power (damage) and TM skill determines what % of that power you inflict (accuracy).

As with normal weapons, a TM spell has damage stats that are mixed with the value of how much you won the TM contest by. This formula is the primary damage determiner. There is also a bonus to damage based on the spell's power (mana), which varies from spell to spell.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Pathways 11/12/2007 01:55 PM CST
With Path Power, it helps the cast get through the targets resistance to our magic, do most critters have a resistance to our magic, for example raiders or reivers in rossmans, If most critters do then does it end up working like a buffed path damage? thanks.

-Zook
Re: Pathways 11/12/2007 02:57 PM CST
I thought Power let you put more mana into a spell?

Re: Pathways 11/12/2007 03:03 PM CST
Ease = more mana in a spell
Power = cutting through magical resistances (Yes, it helps a bit on creatures from my testing, but accuracy is better on average.)
Re: Pathways 11/12/2007 03:11 PM CST
Ok so
>>Power = cutting through magical resistances (Yes, it helps a bit on creatures from my testing
my main question is how much does this help on critters and/or does it depend on the critter, if so that would make alot of sense, if most critters have roughly the same magical resistances to our spells then would straight damage add more of an effect or would power b/c its cutting through their defense. thanks

-Zook
Re: Pathways 11/12/2007 03:31 PM CST
It may have been the circumstances, and thus, I invite anyone to correct me, but when I was testing pathway power, I found that things like orcs and giants had slightly higher natural resistance, and things like trolls and gryphons had higher resistance, I'm assuming from their magic ranks/stats to use magic.

Generally, unless you're massively outclassed and/or getting motes on min preps, theres no reason to use power over accuracy, and if you're hitting things just fine and want to run a pathway longer, use damage.
Prev_page Previous 1