Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Pathways 11/12/2007 03:45 PM CST
pathway power always seemed a bit silly to me since pathways can only be used on targeted spells, and (B)MR only effects the target matrix of a targeted spell. Accuracy is a boost to your to hit, power just lowers the penalty.

now if power could be used with things like ES and Zyphr and SW to cast on an area or a non-magic user it'd have a nice niche in the pathway usage.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Pathways 11/12/2007 07:04 PM CST
Critters do have magic resistance. My impression of raiders was they had quite weak MR, though.

-Sephos
Re: Pathways 11/15/2007 12:32 AM CST
The description of power made it sound like it contained some aspects of the DAMAGE pathway as well... but nothing official has ever been said. I usually use power when throwing down contested spells, but who knows if it really does anything.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Pathways 11/15/2007 06:03 AM CST
>>The description of power made it sound like it contained some aspects of the DAMAGE pathway as well... but nothing official has ever been said. I usually use power when throwing down contested spells, but who knows if it really does anything.

Focus Power is a bit of an oddball, and I'm not entirely happy with how it functions. It doesn't work with any non-targeted spell, though, just so you know.

Focus Power simulates the effects of using more mana than you actually did (this may increase spell damage). This bonus increases as you invest more mana in the spell, until you approach the mana cap. At that point the spell plus the bonus is considered as powerful as it's going to get, and the effective bonus decreases -- until it becomes exactly zero when you hit the cap.

So in a nutshell, Focus Power does effectively nothing at the min prep and mana cap. There's a 'sweet spot' involved in getting the most out of this particular pathway.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Pathways 11/15/2007 10:21 PM CST
What would be the easiest way to find that sweet spot for, lets say CL lol cus i definitely cast over the min and not even close to the cap
Re: Pathways 11/17/2007 01:25 PM CST
>>Focus Power simulates the effects of using more mana than you actually did

I guess that simulated mana isn't being using towards number of bolts your CL will create.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Pathways 11/17/2007 06:55 PM CST
>>I guess that simulated mana isn't being using towards number of bolts your CL will create.

It is, but the bonus is so small you're unlikely to get an extra bolt unless you prep high to begin with. Due to the random number of bolts, you're not likely to notice it unless you are very familiar with the maximum number of bolts you generate per cast.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Pathways 11/22/2007 08:34 PM CST
So then our best bet with CL would be accuracy or damage, thats always good to know grin

-Zook
The Aethereal Pathways 04/20/2009 12:29 AM CDT
Heyos,

I wanted to post a comment in the 'other' thread (in the wrong folder), but because it was shut down due to excessive grumpiness I decided to place my response here, where it belongs anyway.

The assertion that aethereal pathways cannot work without a targeted spell is false. The Perceive pathway group is evidence of this.

The aethereal pathway system was always considered expansive, with many potential directions of development. Some pathways, such as the Focus group, were intended to be simple augmentations. Others, such as the forthcoming Parry, will be used independently to deflect targeted spells. Still others will be used to affect other pathways, either augmenting or disrupting them.

On a final note, one of the planned (but not yet approved) pathways, intended to be one of the most advanced and powerful, was the ability to use an aethereal pathway like a weapon, striking directly with it to cause damage without disrupting attunement or triggering magic defenses/resistance. This idea has been floating around since long before I became a GM, so it's definitely not a new concept or a radical reworking of how aethereal pathways are supposed to function. :)

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: The Aethereal Pathways 04/20/2009 09:04 AM CDT
pretty sweet! (to all your posts this morning)
pathway parry... hmmm.. interesting, maybe people will actually start finsihing their pathway quests now?

Re: The Aethereal Pathways 04/20/2009 12:43 PM CDT
Very nice Wythor! I look forward to it.

>>pathway parry... hmmm.. interesting, maybe people will actually start finsihing their pathway quests now?

Hmm does this mean i have to finally find that Coverson guy.
Re: The Aethereal Pathways 04/24/2009 12:34 PM CDT
I just want to add i really enjoy the pathways, they really do spice things up. Any additions to this system will just be a bonus. I'd really like to see advanced warrior mages be able to use pathway combo's. Anyways thanks for the response we all know your busy with many projects and i am excited with anticipation to what will be released next.
Pathways 06/05/2009 12:03 PM CDT
I meant defense. I have all the pathways save precise and defense. Can I skip pathways, actually? Or double up on finishing them?

Stupid hound

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Pathways 06/05/2009 12:09 PM CDT
If you don't have precision then that's the quest that you are on and why you can't turn the dials. You can't skip pathways and precision comes before defense

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Pathways 06/05/2009 12:10 PM CDT
Thanks. That's silly.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Pathways 06/06/2009 01:54 AM CDT
if you feel like taking it twice(finsihing, and asking leader about quest before turning in the item) and get an extra, i'd be interested in paying for your services. can aim me at powerhausdr
what I'm looking for is the hide and prism, to go with my charred tome, plus I think they'd make nifty alteration stuffs.
if of course you can still get an extra.

Re: Pathways 06/06/2009 09:41 AM CDT
I still have my prism, heh, in tf though :(

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page