Prev_page Previous 1
So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 05:27 PM CST
>summon
Summon allows Warrior Mages to draw down forces from the Elemental Planes. Normally this takes the form of magical creatures, but Warrior Mages can learn to summon subtle and unlocalized expressions of the Elemental Planes' otherworldly physics.
SUMMON ADMITTANCE (Universal)
A meditation that draws Elemental Charge from your aligned plane.
SUMMON <ELEMENT> DOMAIN <1-100> (Variable)
A ritual that attunes an area to an Elemental Plane, easing spells of the appropriate element.
SUMMON FAMILIAR (Aether)
A ritual that summons an aether elemental to serve as your familiar.
SUMMON IMPEDANCE (Universal)
A meditation that discharges Elemental Charge safely.

>summon fire domain 2
You make yourself comfortable and turn your attention inward.
Drawing down extraplanar laws, you attempt to create a 2nd degree fire domain spanning the area.
Discharging a burst of elemental power in the esoteric "direction" of the Elemental Plane of Fire, you carefully draw down subtle lines of power across the Void.
The strands anchor themselves to the ground, infusing the area with an additional, subordinate set of physical laws that make fire magic easier.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

---

I know what I think it should do, but I'm open to suggestions for effects that scale well, bearing in mind this is a minor, zero-slot zero-quest ability.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 05:45 PM CST

This should be a meta type effect. Perhaps a way to make our spells do a specific type of damage regardless of which book we cast from?

Another idea could be specific verb/fluffy type stuff tied to us and our familiar and elements? IE, our familiar's atmospherics taking on a more fiery feel?

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 06:06 PM CST
Modifying spell damage types is... not outside possibility but a pretty enormous feat, unless it was limited to, say, specific "metaelemental" spells.

Screwing around with fams and Summoning itself was another idea I had, yeah. Instead of easing magic it could be a Summoning buff and cost-reduction to elementals (and fams) of the appropriate kind.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 06:12 PM CST
Yah, I suspected the damage change would be a massive undertaking.

>>Screwing around with fams and Summoning itself was another idea I had, yeah. Instead of easing magic it could be a Summoning buff and cost-reduction to elementals (and fams) of the appropriate kind.

Anything to make summoning a useful skill, I'm all for. Right now, no offense, but it really feels like we're training the skill for the honor of training the skill faster.

Familiars themselves already ease magic. So using summoning to align our elements so our specific elemental familiar 'works' better would be awesome. Also, don't forget the atmo adjustments too :-)

--

Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 06:17 PM CST
>>Anything to make summoning a useful skill, I'm all for. Right now, no offense, but it really feels like we're training the skill for the honor of training the skill faster.

In a sense that is what's happening. The directive came down that all guilds were going to have a special skill, and we had a pretty vivid discussion about where Warrior Mages would fall in that. The Elemental Charge stuff was put in to provide a basic framework for later abilities and, as you say, training the skill for the sake of being able to train the skill.

Now I have some free time and am looking at doing a little something to both, admittedly, make the skill even more trainable, but also to provide some kind of neat utility.

-Armifer
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 06:32 PM CST
>>In a sense that is what's happening. The directive came down that all guilds were going to have a special skill, and we had a pretty vivid discussion about where Warrior Mages would fall in that. The Elemental Charge stuff was put in to provide a basic framework for later abilities and, as you say, training the skill for the sake of being able to train the skill.

Oh yes, I wanted to point out for purposes of the conversation how it is, even though it was slightly rhetorical because it set the basis for everything to come. I know why the skill exists and why you had to get it out the way you did.

>>Now I have some free time and am looking at doing a little something to both, admittedly, make the skill even more trainable, but also to provide some kind of neat utility.

More trainable isn't that big of a deal... speaking purely as fire aligned, I'd like one more debil spell that is fire based and then training summoning will be less boring for me. But in my opinion focus less on the trainable side and more on the applicable usage side. What we're discussing right now is a good first step.

Another, much larger step, I'd love to see something like ignite become more tied to our summoning. For example, being able to summon a stronger fire presence on the blade to periodically cause a 'shard' type of damage by additionally focusing and spending my elemental charge to strengthen the spell?

--

Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 06:38 PM CST
Awesome, now just make it passively regen elemental charge for that element if you're standing still in a room that you do that to. Bonus charge given for casting proper spells.

<3

- Starlear -
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 06:45 PM CST
>>Awesome, now just make it passively regen elemental charge for that element if you're standing still in a room that you do that to.

No passive gain.

>>Bonus charge given for casting proper spells.

This, however, is possible.

-Armifer
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 07:55 PM CST
Hm, maybe not passive gain, but if you're in a room you've done stuff to to have it be prepared for a specific element, could it be possible to summon admittance in that room without sitting?

- Starlear -
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 07:57 PM CST
>>Hm, maybe not passive gain, but if you're in a room you've done stuff to to have it be prepared for a specific element, could it be possible to summon admittance in that room without sitting?

I'd need to give that Serious Thought, but it's not outside reason.

-Armifer
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 08:26 PM CST
Well, my first thought was already mentioned, that it would act as an ease type benefit to casting in-element spells; align fire, your ability to cast fire spells goes up.

Is DR able to perform a minor regen boost based on your casting the appropriate spell, along with a penalty for casting not-aligned or anti-aligned spells? Or is this too close to the 'no passive gain' rule? I figure if you're actively casting to get a short duration boost, it's not passive?

Or something similar to how pyre works, where the effects of similar aligned spells are boosted?
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 08:29 PM CST
No passive gain was specifically referring to Elemental Charge. Regen of stuff that regens over time is less conceptually problematic.

-Armifer
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 09:40 PM CST
Isn't that basically doing the same thing as powerful demons do?

Skeery.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 09:43 PM CST
>>Isn't that basically doing the same thing as powerful demons do?

My initial concept for this ability will probably become the first Feral Magic spell, if I remember it.

As it stands, this is the nice version.

-Armifer
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 10:19 PM CST
<<I know what I think it should do, but I'm open to suggestions for effects that scale well, bearing in mind this is a minor, zero-slot zero-quest ability.>>

Have it give specific RP verbs to the mages that are aligned with the domain of the room. (Domains should be a permanently active in the elemental rooms of the guild hall.) Fire mages can do cool verby stuff with fire, water with liquids, ect.

Can have it alter some cantrips. Make water globe glow different colors based off the room element.

Can have fissure last longer or come in the element flavor of the domain.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 10:35 PM CST
I would also not mind like, slower drain of elementally appropriate pathways. The main Issue I'm Having is that Elemental Charge regens too slow to viably use some pathways for more than a short period. Which is fine...but to re-charge, it takes forever if you're not summoning admittance, which isn't particularly viable in combat due to sitting. I am mostly looking for a way to maybe refill charge just through casting without it taking forever.

- Starlear -
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/08/2014 11:48 PM CST
SUMMON <ELEMENT> DOMAIN <1-100> (Variable)

there needs to be an impede version that forms the voidspell

Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/09/2014 03:57 AM CDT
Re: Ideas for STUFF:

More stuff that Summoning does. Maybe some new Pathways or something at some point, but there's enough of them that I think most of the bases are covered as far as plain old TM goes. I would like to see Summoning allow more usage of them, and a way to recharge Charge in combat without sitting or machinegunning spells for forever). More stuff like Barrage perhaps, that focused more on the WM as a Warrior that uses Magic. And on that note...

Elemental Weapon stuff - I miss our conjured weapon spells, but the prevalence of crafting I think has made them a bit obsolete. People get attached to their +5 Tyrium Sword of Doom and would likely not want to use a spell conjured weapon as anything more than a novelty. Therefore...introduce a single new spell that was called something super original and profound, like Elemental Weapon. This spell would be prepared and cast on an existing weapon with an element (eg CAST SCIMITAR FIRE). What this would do is convert the weapon to an elemental form, such that the highest damage type of whatever weapon it is, is reduced to 0, and the full amount of the number is transferred to whatever elemental type. (Essentially, if my scim is poor/mod/fair for punc/slice/impact, and no/no/no for Elemental Damage, when cast, the scim would be poor/no/fair for punc/slice/impact and no/moderate/no for cold/fire/electrical). Also it would give your weapon some fancy verbs while active, assuming the item itself didn't have that verb already. I would also like a metaspell for the Ignite spell to allow you to change the damage type, and you could cast Ignite on a weapon you cast Elemental Weapon on to either add another type of damage, or to add more of the same type.

More Elemental Transformations. I love new MoF and new AeG and I wish there was one for each element. Spitballing ideas:

Storm Visage (Electric): + Discipline, + Mentals, Chance on melee attack to instantly melee attack again (with LIGHTNING SPEED, get it? :D), Retributive Electrical damage (Or maybe a short duration stun?) if you are hit with a metal weapon.

Planephase (Aether): -All Damage Taken, + Elemental Damage Done (Enough to be noticeable), -Targetting Time, -No Cross-Alignment Cost Penalty For Using Pathways (Essentially, while in Aether Form, all Pathways have costs treated as if they are of your chosen alignment. This does not negate the charge reduction from casting spells opposing your alignment). Basically makes you awesome at magic, while reducing your damage taken from spells and weapons due to the fact you're partially noncorporeal. Want to be a mage who focuses on magic as their weapon, put this on and hold a TM focus when they are a thing.

Flowing Soul (Water): +Str, +Agi, You take reduced physical damage. Targets striking you deal up to 5s additional RT (based on the damage the hit deals) as their weapon is slowed by cutting through the turbulent waters making up your body.

Cyclonic Vengeance (Air): +Agi, +Mentals, Targets acting on you in combat must save or be knocked down with a small RT when attacking or casting spells at you, due to the fierce winds you have bound to your body buffeting them.

Ward Break kind of sucks. It doesn't seem like it works against many buffs (I realize the spell is designed only to dispel spell barriers, but as it stands, most of the time, I'd rather just toss Dispel at something). Make Ward Break have a self-cast option. Has "charges" that either work over time or like an offensive ablative barrier - that is, each time you cast through it, it loses some duration until it's no more. Causes TM spells to pass through an Aethereal mist, which latches onto the spell. Spells the mage uses in this way have reduced potency but increased integrity. Spells that hit have a chance to reduce the duration of or outright remove a random defensive spell from the target. The spell would also be able to be used with the current functionality, to be cast on a target and attempt to outright remove anti-magic wards.

Obligatory "I wish YS felt like it did something when I cast it" here. If I personally had to pick something it did, I'd make it buff absorbs in lighter armor, reduce hindrance (not to 2.0 levels) in heavy armor, and scale between a mixture of the two for everything between. The idea would be that if you put YS on, the mage would have similar but not identical protection/absorb/hindrance, regardless of armor type, assuming equal armor skill and item tier. Ideally you couldn't reduce hindrance to a degree in HP that would make it OP, nor could you buff cloth to out-absorb plate. The idea would be something like letting plate hinder like really light brig or heavy chain, but not touching its absorb, and letting leather absorb like really heavy chain or light brig. Chain would probably be the sweet spot, you'd absorb like lower end plate, but hinder like middle-grade leather. Old YS had the issue where it felt too much like it was no good in light armor.

Spell ideas that I posted awhile back but figured I'd dig up since it's suggestin' time:

Asphyxiate - esoteric cyclic - hybrid tm/debilitation - The insidious asphyxiate spell adjusts air density around a single target, trapping air outside a field of high pressure and making it increasingly more difficult to breathe. The spell causes periodic but relatively trivial vitality and fatigue damage with each pulse. While the spell is active, actions will be more sluggish due to labored breathing, and actions which cost fatigue will also have a cost in vitality. A mage must be careful to not lose control of the spell - casters who are stunned will temporarily be unable to keep the air away, giving their target fresh air and needing to take more time for the effects to ramp up again. Requires Vertigo, Paeldryth's Wrath, Blufmor Garaen.

- Increased RTs while effected, retributive vit damage when you use fatigue, prevents vit and fatigue regen.

- The passive damage is on a bell curve. Starts off moderate at the beginning, pulses up to more damage, and then tapers to nothing at low target vit. This is for the damage pulses themselves - fatigue cost damage is static for the entire spell. The idea is that a target can never die from this spell alone. No damage type, as it only deals Vitality damage.

Explosive Decompression - Targetted - esoteric - The explosive decompression spell is most often used to terrifying effect to quite literally steal the final breaths from the target. The pattern of this spell is intricate and can be resisted by hardy targets, but is devastating against targets already softened up. Wounds provide more avenues for rushing air and are exacerbated by the rapid escape. Requires Thunderclap, Vertigo, 50th circle.

- Deals damage proportional to vitality missing from the target when it atrikes a body part. No effect on something with full vitality. Wounds act as a damage boost (Multiplier? Additive?) And increase in severity on the struck part if the spell deals damage.

- Intent would be as a finishing move on something that was low. Cold/Puncture damage.

- Starlear -
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/09/2014 04:30 AM CDT
If I could, with enough skill, make it so that I can cast a lightning bolt inside an underwater cave, I'd be pretty happy. For masters of the elements, we're more at their whims than Moon Mages are of their tropes, AND we have less tools to inform ourselves.

Heck, I might have a use for a Perceive pathway that tells me if I'm inside and under water. Sometimes you can't go by the room description at all (outer Zaulfung swamp comes to mind). I might also like to know what the weather is like without having to step outside or notice the room I'm in has slightly more mana than usual.

Not that most of the environmental interactions do much in modern mana scaling, so not as interesting a thing to interact with anymore anyway... just the annoying parts when it shuts down a spell.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/09/2014 08:10 AM CDT
I was going to make a joke about 'summon relay' but frankly, I think it might be a good idea. Having the appropriate elemental fam at high levels bypasses the 'woops, can't do that here!' restrictions on 'good' WM spells. So pull out the electrical fam, and bam, cast LB in a cave.

Or maybe fam + align room properly? It would take some work, but honestly I feel like that's appropriate for a 'mage' character.
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/09/2014 12:50 PM CDT
>Screwing around with fams and Summoning itself was another idea I had, yeah. Instead of easing magic it could be a Summoning buff and cost-reduction to elementals (and fams) of the appropriate kind.

Yea some of this I expected to come from familiars. One thing I'd like to see is maybe giving the familiars the opportunity to act as a battery of elemental alignment, sort of like a cambrinth. Perhaps the familiar would need to be re-summoned after using up the reserve.
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/09/2014 01:36 PM CDT
I'm extremely hesitant to push anything else on familiars for a few reasons. Forgive me if I break from tradition on this one, but I'm inclined to think that familiars are already a pretty "dense" package of utility as it stands. There's some stuff it could do better, and they could sure as Hell be cleaned up on the technical level, but I'm not sure familiars need to do more right now.

It's part of why I want to break off combat pets from being "familiar combat" to newly summonable elementals. Both my design and my aesthetic sense tell me it's time for WMs to do things in new ways.

-Armifer
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/09/2014 04:09 PM CDT
I'm definitely an advocate of how awesome familiars are, but most of their features are things a DR player can simply ignore or never find personally useful. They're amazing social tools, they make moon mages jealous -- we've had a better version of Mirror Wraith since launch!

But outside the social realm they get a bit less impactful on your gameplay for something that is so essential to your guild's outward identity that they define guildleaders -- a weak argument in a multiplayer game, though DR has always suffered a bit with the social game falling away a bit when you start hunting.

Stun drag is still pretty awesome, but with modern combat stuns don't necessarily mean you're a corpse, so sometimes I find it a bit more annoying than helpful (Cat! Stop dragging me out of the room, I'm fine!) ...maybe there needs to be a vitality threshold before that ability triggers these days.

Spell assist is a -lot- less visible when most spells fit now 50 to 100 mana, and harness works fundamentally differently than it used to. The same reason that environmental min prep changes are a lot less apparent now.

I think a lot of us just want more reason not to pull our familiar away when we hunt, then pull it out again at the guild like some kind of reverse pokemon. A separate class of combat familiars I could be down with.

Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/09/2014 04:14 PM CDT

<<I think a lot of us just want more reason not to pull our familiar away when we hunt, then pull it out again at the guild like some kind of reverse pokemon. A separate class of combat familiars I could be down with.

This. For my part, I want more familiar integration, not less :/

--

Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/10/2014 10:02 PM CDT
~I'm extremely hesitant to push anything else on familiars for a few reasons. Forgive me if I break from tradition on this one, but I'm inclined to think that familiars are already a pretty "dense" package of utility as it stands. There's some stuff it could do better, and they could sure as Hell be cleaned up on the technical level, but I'm not sure familiars need to do more right now.

It's part of why I want to break off combat pets from being "familiar combat" to newly summonable elementals. Both my design and my aesthetic sense tell me it's time for WMs to do things in new ways.~

Sorry to be blunt but they haven't changed since I left. Unless there something I am missing (which may just be the case)they are way overdue for something. The new colors were great but accounts are locked in to what kind of fam they were able to get (black panther, chubby bear ect..) which had no effects on the current players at the time. Nothing I could get anyway. It was always the same fam over and over. I complain about fams but I'm one a the few mages I see that almost always has one with them. I hardly use it but it's there. Something different would be nice.

Summonable elementals sounds great if they will be replacing the planned battle fams. This was something in the works a long time ago and one of the things I thought was worth coming back to. I was gone for years, I thought for sure they would be live by now. Seeing all the work put into upgrading the game in general it's understandable that they took a back seat. But now you're talking about 3.2 already and still no battle fams. Can we get this done please. We've waited a very long time.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/10/2014 11:01 PM CDT
>>Sorry to be blunt but they haven't changed since I left.

Because there was nothing broken about them, and in the grand scheme there were projects in other areas that were more vital than giving a well fleshed out guild more toys.

>>But now you're talking about 3.2 already and still no battle fams. Can we get this done please. We've waited a very long time.

I'm not sure why you're bringing this up again, when I just posted a status update on pets two days ago in a different thread you were complaining in.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/11/2014 01:02 AM CDT
summoning cantrips... something RP'ish and magely that might be semi-useful - use a little pathway attunement(or stream it?) to make a pile of snow, room only storm cloud, a floating flame that lights a room, a stone roof, summon a tornado/dust-devil/twister. Electricity and Aether'd have to be weird - maybe a mix that makes a mirror to the aether plane'd that people could watch would be pretty cool.

"summon cantrip tornado" or flame or whatever.

if there's ever an aetheral transformation, maybe make it use summoning? Kinda be neat what'd happen if you had the skill to go too deeply into your elemental attunement, maybe become non-corpreal for a minute?

Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/11/2014 01:18 AM CDT
Electric form should totally make you that one Gremlin from Gremlins 2.

- Starlear
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/11/2014 01:34 AM CDT
I wouldn't mind like an RT combat reduction or storm bull SD nerve damage shenannigans.

but yeah, we should like that... maybe GZ finger claws...

also wouldn't mind an OP air form that just gave us infinite BG shots...point, point, point for the hax win... thanx!

Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/11/2014 06:36 AM CDT
>I wouldn't mind like an RT combat reduction or storm bull SD nerve damage shenannigans.

Honestly I'd really like to see SD become babies first CL again. It really was an awesome feeling to be able to AoE stuff starting around 20, when all the other guilds have to wait till 50. Even if it did require refreshing ES each cast.
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 03/11/2014 06:57 AM CDT
Fireball and Rimefang handle that niche pretty well.

- Starlear
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/01/2014 08:57 AM CDT
I wish we had something cooler the pathway sense to test how much charge we had built up or items that directly associated charge in their look (alterable of course so we all don't have the same 10 items). Pretty much like the HE fest items work where you can look at them, but as charge accrues they change slightly.

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/01/2014 09:48 AM CDT
Soulstone for elemental charge.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/01/2014 03:06 PM CDT
Late to the party, but I wanted to comment on the original thought by Armifer.

I think that something like Summon <element> Domain reducing the difficulty of spells from the book you attune the area to while tanking Elemental charge would actually be helpful, especially since if it scales, this would allow for people to cap out rituals and buff spells a fair bit earlier and see more of the percentage of boost. Of course things like this do eventually become obsolete, but the ability would be used daily for almost anyone under 120th, during spars or before hunting, especially if you could see 10 or more mana difference should you pull off a 100 domain summon.

If not that, I wonder if making Ethereal fissure's of the same element last longer/have greater potency and eventually easing/powering up combat elementals would make this worth using regularly, and to be honest, that is entirely how I'm approaching this concept. There are a thousand RP things, or tricks, or "nifty" features that I could mention, but I personally want a Summoning ability to do something useful that I'll want to have active as much as possible, cantrips proved how necessary this is for it to be worth the time to make. I don't know many people who can say they've used Aethereal spheres to juggle or light some ones head more than water globe to stun test/kill fleas, despite my love for things like pattern hues.

That said, elemental transformations are awesome, and I know I'd love an Aether one even if it did nothing but give a small damage absorb and dampen all incoming/outgoing magic(disables and tm). I would probably use this more than anything else if I could just go all mage killer.

Cheers.
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/28/2014 11:44 PM CDT
After thinking of it some more, I'd like to toss out this idea for Domains.

Aligned Domain: Double charge gain from casting.
Opposed Domain: Double charge loss from casting. (Don't do this.)
Any other domain: Negates all charge gain/loss from casting.

So if you're say aligned +Fire -Water and put up an Air domain, you no longer lose charge from casting Water spells or gain charge from casting Fire spells.

-Armifer
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/29/2014 06:31 AM CDT
That would leave you at still being able to gain, but you would have to summon admittance? I really like the double gain bit but I am unsure how much use this new option would see. It would negate people's complaints about thinking they can't cast from an opposing book, but that also isn't exactly a true assumption on their part.

A better way of handling it would be to lower the skill required to pick your opposed element...though I am pretty sure that THEN you would just see all mages be +X / -Aether.

Are there plans for other waysways to gain charge other than casting?

- Starlear
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/29/2014 07:04 AM CDT
>Aligned Domain: Double charge gain from casting.
Opposed Domain: Double charge loss from casting. (Don't do this.)
Any other domain: Negates all charge gain/loss from casting.

>So if you're say aligned +Fire -Water and put up an Air domain, you no longer lose charge from casting Water spells or gain charge from casting Fire spells.

I had to parse it a time or two, but you're saying that while any non +\- domain spell is active you neither gain nor lose? How would this work with having multiple elemental types going? Would you have to only activate positive alignment spells to grow? Seems like that would be a much more harsh version of what exists now.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/29/2014 10:28 AM CDT
So what if you aligned and domained fire?

Or aligned + fire and - water and domained water?

Sounds like a level 2 align+ that would take priority over the align, pretty much turning it off in most cases?

Pathway Center/imbue? Study the flow of a rush of mana to align a large portion quickly? Little more RT than summon admit, a lot more alignment charge, and use a huge chunk of mana? Make it teach a little better than summon admit too .

Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/29/2014 10:41 AM CDT
What about instead something like...

Alignment works as it does now.

Before I continue, when I talk about base gain, basically I mean the amount you gain right now for an element you are aligned to.

Domain is entirely element type oriented. Like say I align fire, but domain electric. I gain charge when I cast fire spells. I gain 20% of that amount of charge when I effect a target (friendly or otherwise) with that element (either via a buff or via damage).

Ex: Fire Align, Fire Domain.

I cast fireball. It hits something and splashes 5 things. Total charge gain is 3.2x the amount of a normal cast (2.0x for fire aligned/domained synergy gain, +6x 0.2 gain per each target damaged by fire - initial + five in an area)

Ex: Fire Align, Water opposed, Electric Domain.

I cast lightning bolt. It hits something. Total charge gain is +0.2x of base amount I would get casting a fire spell due to LB having an electric damage component, because I am domained there. A small incidental gain by damage type.

Ex. Fire Align, Water Opposed, Water Domain.

I cast Frostbite. It hits 5 things. I lose 1.0x for casting my opposed element, and gain 0.2x 5 for hitting 5 targets with my chosen domain element, making the cast charge neutral.

Ex. Fire Align, Water Opposed, Fire Domain.

I cast Geyser. It hits something. I lose 1.0x for casting opposed, and gain 0.2x for the fire damage component of the spell, making the cast a net loss of 0.8x the value of a base single cast.

It basically allows you to choose between specializing in an element to maximize charge gain (while penalizing you more harshly for opposed casts) or lets you be an elementalist, lowering overall charge gain but also mitigating the penalties of opposed element casting partially.

- Starlear
Re: So I was playing around with SUMMON and... 04/29/2014 10:47 AM CDT
Id rather avoid doing mental math as a war mage, so I think the simpler and more direct the system, the better.

Prev_page Previous 1