Prev_page Previous 1
Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 11:12 AM CDT
I came back to DR last week and decided to start a totally new character, as a WM, a class I've never played before to any real extent. Now I'm trying to decide a good path/progression for my spell selections.

Currently I'm level 9 and have:
Fireshard, Ignite, ES, MoA, Substratum, and Ice patch.

I'd like to make some good choices for my early spells, that will be useful in helping me train and overhunt. For weapons I'm training large edge, brawling, crossbow, two handed edge, light blunt, and two handed blunt, in that order.

I'm thinking for my next choices: 10 Zephyr, 12 Expansive infusions (So I can lower my encumbrance), 15 tingle, 17 LB, 18 Chain lightning, 21 Swirling winds.

Would love to hear thoughts/other suggestions/total derision of my choices/whatever.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 11:49 AM CDT

Get Sure Footing and Fireball asap. SUF is one of the best buffs in game and FB is prob the best TM training spell in game.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 12:11 PM CDT
>>Get Sure Footing and Fireball asap. SUF is one of the best buffs in game and FB is prob the best TM training spell in game.

I'd put Swirling Winds before Sure Footing, but yeah, these three spells really should be your next three. I think it was somewhere around 9th-12th circle that I found it was really handy to add those two defensive spells back to back, because I was getting to a point where my offenses were outpacing my defenses enough that I couldn't train both in the same hunting grounds anymore without the buffs.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 12:15 PM CDT

> Get Sure Footing and Fireball asap. SUF is one of the best buffs in game and FB is prob the best TM training spell in game.

I absolutely agree with sure footing. You don't have to worry about fireball early on. You'll train well enough with fire shards and you'll quickly outpace your defenses with TM.

Must have spells, in my opinion:

- Swirling Winds (evasion)
- Sure Footing (parry)
- Rising mists (if you do stealth)
- Tailwind (you do train a ranged weapon, right?)
- Mantle of Flame (Melee weapon boosts = more damage = more learning = more weapons = more TDPs)
-

Very good spells:
- Frostbyte (AOE debilitation - yes, please, and the knockdown? Easier to train weapons and TM on).
- Electrostatic Eddy (I'm at the point that I don't run AOE TM spells any more, because they kill things too quickly. Eddy is a good "why not" type of spell)
- Paeldryth's Wrath (Solely because it helps you train TM when spawns are bad)
- Fireball, at higher levels, because splash damage.
- Ignite, because it's random damage bonuses
- Substratum, because it boosts TM damage which is great for learning or high spawn rooms
- ES, because elemental attacks.

My opinion on AOE TM spells:
- Fireball and Chain lightning are fun.
- Rimefang is a better killer in general, but only at higher levels. At low levels, it doesn't replenish enough blades fast enough.
- Fire Rain is a better killer if you have lots of things in your room. The damage it does is significant, since it doesn't depend on engagement radius.
- Ring of Spears can be a better killer if you're constantly moving things through your engagement radius (shove/pw), or if they retreat on their own for various reasons.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 02:56 PM CDT
Thanks for the tips. Focus on buffs earlier.... got it.

Is Fireball really that much better than Chain Lightning? I don't have any real reason WHY, but I just like the idea of Chain Lightning way more than fireball... sounds so much cooler. You know, I just want to be emperor palpatine and lighting bolt stuff to death. Haha.

However, if FB really is the better TM trainer/spell overall, I'll suck it up, skip all the pain in the ass pre-reqs for CL, and just get fireball around 20.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 03:00 PM CDT
I like to lock TM quick and then train all weapons, so FB is awesome for that. Cast 100 mana CL vs a 100 mana FB on multiple critters and FB gives more mind states every time. This happens at the low end also.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 03:53 PM CDT
>>Is Fireball really that much better than Chain Lightning?

Yes. Now, this is a bit of conjecture, but I think it has to do with CL being a true AOE spell, whereas FB is a splash damage spell. Since FB is only splash damage, its damage can be scaled up a bit and still maintain balance. If CL did the same damage FB does as a true AOE spell, it would be overpowered. Of course, in most everyday hunting, it is too easy to just have 4 critters all at melee range of you at all times, and thus all hit by one fireball, so there really isn't any reason to use CL. And in DR 3.0+, damage is king for offensive skill learning rates (except of course for the challenge level of the skill-check).
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 05:02 PM CDT
You've got the good spell suggestions already covered, aim to get Aegis of Granite for your ritual spell as well, it's great for overhunting.

In regards to weapons, large edge/large blunt are in really bad places right now. That's not to say they won't be worth training if that ever changes, but as a new warrior mage I'd go se/2he sb/2hb staves/polearm ht/bow. (Honestly I'm casually backtraining everything with my warrior mage just because we have summon weapon)

If you dig summon weapon, train forging for the weaponsmithing techniques.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 07:10 PM CDT

> In regards to weapons, large edge/large blunt are in really bad places right now. That's not to say they won't be worth training if that ever changes, but as a new warrior mage I'd go se/2he sb/2hb staves/polearm ht/bow. (Honestly I'm casually backtraining everything with my warrior mage just because we have summon weapon)

I want to speak to this. My warrior mage focuses on elemental weapons. That may not be the best option late game, but it's amazing for starting characters, especially free-to-play characters.

It's amazing. I'm saving something like 600 stones of weapon weight, have extra backpack room, and have the shoulders free. Not to mention that repairs are free, and I can change element types to get around damage resistances. Do elemental weapons. You won't regret it until you do then you stop, but it makes a huge difference with a new character. I'd also put in a plug for light thrown. It's a quick skill to just weave in between what else you might be doing. That said, I wouldn't use a stick bow. Cross bows seem to be better for everyone but rangers or barbarians.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 10:04 PM CDT
I'll echo a lot of what I've seen here. Buffs are better at low levels, because you won't have the mana to put out lots of big-power AoE's. Here are my thoughts in general:

First Spell
If you care about having one of each type of spell, get either GZ or FS for the multi-shot.

Get ASAP:
SUF, SW, MAF - main buff suite. MAF will change once the barrier review is done.
Ignite - Weapon damage buff and one of our few utility trainers.
FB - Best TM trainer. Although, I haven't tested it, Chain Lightning might actually be good too since 3.2 with the min prep reduction.
ETF - Who doesn't want a mana boost?

High Priority
AEG - Get this as soon as you can cast it.
TW, Substratum - offensive buff suite.
EE - Anti-stealth and best debil trainer.
AC - Great defensive spell, train warding all the time!
Rising Mists - If you train stealth, get this.

As you grow:
Debil spells - Have one for each resistance type and the variety lets you get around immunities.
Fire Rain - Great for invasions.
Rimefang - Your cyclic TM for when Fire Rain isn't the best tool.
DB, BG - "thrown" TM. Best for quick kills in PvP and PvE. It's our special thing, might as well get them.
MAB - Expands your damage output options.
At least one of the AoE Debil spells.
At least one of the AoE TM spells.

Worth Considering
LB, FRS - Specialty spells - DFA and armor-piercing, respectively.
FoI - Comes in handy surprisingly often.
VoI, LW - Anti-magic. For PvP and certain mobs.

- Saragos
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/11/2016 10:30 PM CDT
Thanks again for all the advice. Really curious about what's bad with large edge/blunt? Is it the rt is so high, or just the damage output of a two hander? I'm certainly not opposed to switching, I like two handers. Only been using large for the fact that I can keep cambrinth in one hand with it.

As for elemental weapons, as soon as I get expansive infusions I'm dropping all my other weapons for sure. One of the things that drew me to being a wm
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 01:12 AM CDT
>>Really curious about what's bad with large edge/blunt?

As far as I can tell, it just has poor DPS. I think it goes something like this (with made up damage levels for illustration purposes).

**Caveat: This is my own perception and I haven't done serious testing.

- Small Edged: Very Fast to Fast, Damage 1-3
- Large Edged: Moderately Slow to Slow, Damage 2-4
- Twohanded Edged: Slow, Damage 4-6

So basically, LE doesn't hit the middle of the range very well. It's slow without gaining a lot of damage.

Large edged's niche was probably supposed to be the "free offhand" that would allow you to either hold a shield or another weapon. However in practice both of those options turned out to be subpar.

- Navesi
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 01:19 AM CDT
Basically what Navesi said. People either want to minimize RT (small edged/blunt) or maximize damage per swing (2h edged/blunt). Heavy edged/blunt weapons are kinda like brigadine armor, stuck in the middle of the road in a land where extremes are king.

The idea is that eventually, with enough strength, there is no advantage to using heavy weapons over two-handers.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 01:29 AM CDT
>>I like two handers. Only been using large for the fact that I can keep cambrinth in one hand with it.

I'm training up a little cleric, and I just made a buff script that puts on/takes off my cambrinth (while holding my 2hander) So I'm not attacking, but I'm still parrying and can easily add in some circles or whatnot while waiting for full prep if I need to.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 04:27 AM CDT
I kill things faster with my sterak axe than any other melee weapon. Other LEs not so much, though.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 07:49 AM CDT

> Thanks again for all the advice. Really curious about what's bad with large edge/blunt?

There's a very narrow niche where HE/HB is better at anything, and that niche basically assumes that you stop training your character. HE/HB share a base RT with 2HE/2HB. Low weight HE/HB have roughly the same stats at twice the RT as high weight SE/SB, and high weight HE/HB are only slightly better stat wise than low-weight 2HE/2HB. That's great, HE/HB stop growing with you right there. 2HE/2HB can continue to grow in weight until they're much, much better at raw damage.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 01:06 PM CDT
Gotcha. Definitely makes sense... I was pretty surprised at the huge round times but I just assumed it was cause I'm weak and using a crappy store-bought weapon. However, knowing that it's more of an issue with the way HE/HB is designed makes a lot more sense about it.

Fortunately my 2HE is within only like 10 ranks of my HE, so I should be able to catch it up pretty quick.

Curious - how is brawling? I'm training it right now cause it's fast to train, and it gives me a really easy way to train tactics. Will it remain viable into the upper levels? Will I have to invest in brawling gear eventually to make the damage usable?

How about ranged - I've been training crossbow just because, but with elemental weapons I could summon a thrown weapon. Would something like 2HE/Brawling/Light Thrown combo be a decent setup?

Really glad I'm learning all this now instead of finding out after I've invested hundreds of hours into something mediocre! (I'm looking at you, quarterstaff from like 15 years ago when I first started playing).
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 01:15 PM CDT
I like brawling a lot, although I'm not sure how it compares to swords and such in terms of DPS. It's the only way you'd be able to fight naked, though :) And it's fun to punch stuff in the face.

If you end up training it you can pick up a blowgun later which will allow you to "brawl from ranged."
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 01:30 PM CDT

I think there needs to be better brawling gear, but it's overall in a good state. You can even get blowdarts to turn it into a ranged weapon.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 02:17 PM CDT

>However, knowing that it's more of an issue with the way HE/HB is designed makes a lot more sense about it.

If you ever somehow get your hands on an amazing tyrium or auction level large blunt/edge it's no where near a bad weapon to use that the general populations decision is based on. I play in Plat, so much easier to get access to these things, but 2 second RT large blunts with high impact stats and perfect FOI tells a completely different story. But apples and oranges instance wise.

Also given that our defenses are tertiary skills, the more weapons you train makes your TM/Debil and weapons not end up running away from armor/shield/evasion. I personally train all weapons to stay real rounded skills wise. Your Magics will run away on you and it makes it tougher to proceed when you are getting beat on because defenses are lower. Just something to think about.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/12/2016 09:28 PM CDT
>>Also given that our defenses are tertiary skills, the more weapons you train makes your TM/Debil and weapons not end up running away from armor/shield/evasion. I personally train all weapons to stay real rounded skills wise. Your Magics will run away on you and it makes it tougher to proceed when you are getting beat on because defenses are lower. Just something to think about.

Agreed, and should have been a caveat. There's nothing wrong with tossing 1-2 more weapons in for the sake of training weapons, but if you're cherry picking, it's not a good cherry. (for now)

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 03:53 AM CDT
> Also given that our defenses are tertiary skills, the more weapons you train makes your TM/Debil and weapons not end up running away from armor/shield/evasion. I personally train all weapons to stay real rounded skills wise. Your Magics will run away on you and it makes it tougher to proceed when you are getting beat on because defenses are lower. Just something to think about.

Ok, soapbox time. I apologize for going off-topic here, but I have to.

If you hold back any of your primary skills back to your secondary skills, then you're just giving up the advantage of having a primary skill. You're going to have your tert defesnes wherever they're going to be - there's no reason to force your primary skills to be as low as secondary skills. If you have a character with 450 in tert skills, 500 in secondary skills, and 550 in primary combat skills it just works to your advantage. Extra TM! Bonus! It might come in handy sometime.

But nobody ever says, "Man, I wish I had less TM."

There's only ONE situation where it could be a problem - if you can't survive or hit with weapons a higher creature, but are capped in TM. But that doesn't make it tougher to proceed - that's just a time when you can't learn TM. Ok, so you lose out on a potential X ranks of TM. But keeping TM back wasn't going to make your defenses any higher or make you advance that critter ladder any faster!

So, if that happens, stop training TM there until you get higher. But here's the thing - the ranges get bigger at higher ranks. Being capped out on primary skills but unable to move on is a problem that disappears at higher ranks. I can tell you this much - I've gained roughly my last 400+ ranks of TM while training all my skills on the same critter (which obviously has changed over time) with all of my skills moving as fast as they can possibly move - I only train as many weapons as I can keep moving at once. In all that time, I haven't capped out my TM on a critter so I had to turn it off.

If you throttle your TM, you're just denying yourself ranks and TDP's.

I'm sure there comes a point where, mathematically, it makes sense to train all weapons in order to get more TDP's for a given amount of time input. But remember as well that due to higher stats and higher masteries, your ability to train more weapons at once will increase, and you'll find that you can train low ranked weapons on much higher critters.

That's my two cents on the issue. I know it goes against some of the conventional wisdom.

- Saragos
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 04:46 AM CDT
I have to agree. Think about it this way. Let's say you spend 100,000 hours training. Let's consider some (made-up) ranks that you might achieve.

Method #1: Always keep TM training, also train some weapons

TM: 600
Weapons/Parry: 500
Shield/Evasion: 400

Method #2: Train lots of weapons, don't keep TM training

TM: 500
Weapons/Parry: 500
Shield/Evasion: 400

You MIGHT end up with more TDPs if you can keep significantly more weapons going without training TM, but be honest with yourself. You're a Warrior Mage. You can lock TM in a few casts of Fireball. As Saragos said, worst case scenario you might notice it taking longer to lock TM and in that case you can stop it for a bit until you go to the next critter.

Keep TM high! Take advantage of being primary!

- Navesi
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 09:20 AM CDT

> If you hold back any of your primary skills back to your secondary skills, then you're just giving up the advantage of having a primary skill.

For combat based skills, you're going to do this either by choice or because the game forces you to. Primary skills will eventually stop learning on creatures you're fighting. There are ways around it, but they're so much of a hassle that many people choose not to do it. For example, trying to find two hunting areas close enough in skill that you can train both tiers without dying.

> You're going to have your tert defesnes wherever they're going to be - there's no reason to force your primary skills to be as low as secondary skills.

There are. If your primary skills are combat oriented then you could get to a point that you're killing to fast to effectively train.

> But nobody ever says, "Man, I wish I had less TM."

They do. When TM stops training and they realize that they could have artificially slowed the progress to increase other skills to still keep more skills moving. Multiple skills turns into those juicy TDPs which turns into free stat points which is the same thing as passive, always on buffs that push you past global caps. It also means faster learning, and could potentially mean higher primary skills than you otherwise would have had.

So people aren't saying, "Man, I wish I had less TM." They are saying, "Man, I wish I was more well rounded." Yet, that's effectively the same statement.

> There's only ONE situation where it could be a problem - if you can't survive or hit with weapons a higher creature, but are capped in TM.

In my mind, there's a very easy (fundamentally, I doubt it's so easy programatically) solution to this. TM symbiosis. Barring that, the TDP re-write (I know, we're not talking about this) or increasing the teaching ranges (unlikely since combat is already too safe at the upper end).

> with all of my skills moving as fast as they can possibly move

How? I'm not saying your lying, but I find this statement very hard to believe. If you're in the 400+ range on TM, how are you still locking TM while surviving on a creature (which one?) teaching you tertiary skills (probably around 60-70% of your TM ranks) while providing enough bodies for you to train all weapons on?

Or are you talking about keeping TM at low mindstates?
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 09:33 AM CDT

>soapbox time

You took my post all wrong really. I'm not sure where you got the idea of NOT training TM and keeping it even with weapons. I meant adding in weapons to stay in combat longer at level so you gain TDPs from weapons and don't move up super quick and become a 'glass cannon'.

I've seen a lot of people from all instances start a WM and be all amped about the cool TM and then they become a one trick pony because they min train defenses and weapons. Just wanted to help the new WM NOT do that.

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 10:03 AM CDT
>>They do. When TM stops training and they realize that they could have artificially slowed the progress to increase other skills to still keep more skills moving. Multiple skills turns into those juicy TDPs which turns into free stat points which is the same thing as passive, always on buffs that push you past global caps. It also means faster learning, and could potentially mean higher primary skills than you otherwise would have had.

TDPs from 250 TM = TDPs from 250 TM, regardless if mind locked or clear.

OP has it right, in this regard. there's no difference between capping TM in a day and Armor in a week vs. TM and Armor in a week. After the week is up, you're in the same place.

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 10:39 AM CDT

> TDPs from 250 TM = TDPs from 250 TM, regardless if mind locked or clear.

TDPs from 250 TM + ML + drain > TDPs from 250 TM + clear + drain. If your TM is clear then you're either capped out on the creatures you can survive, or you're arbitrarily gating your TM. Either way, it's not what we're discussing here.

> OP has it right, in this regard. there's no difference between capping TM in a day and Armor in a week vs. TM and Armor in a week.

Except when you extend this to scale. Over time, your TM will not cap when your armor caps and you'll slow down learning. By intentionally taking it slow, you can create x bits over y time while using the mana/creature health on other skills. That means you get more ranks overall at the cost of slightly slower TM learning. That is more TDPs.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 11:10 AM CDT
>>Except when you extend this to scale. Over time, your TM will not cap when your armor caps and you'll slow down learning. By intentionally taking it slow, you can create x bits over y time while using the mana/creature health on other skills. That means you get more ranks overall at the cost of slightly slower TM learning. That is more TDPs.

I'm sorry but this makes zero sense. TDPs are an absolute gain from skill ranks. Slowing your learning means you slow your gain rate until cap, but cap is still cap, and you gain the same amount of TDPs if it took you a day to cap TM or a week (on this specific critter).

Defenses gate your TM learning on higher creatures, so you can overhunt to a degree if you want to maintain TM learning specifically, but eventually you'll reach a point where you can't realistically survive. (which is tangental in this scenario, so doesn't really come into play)

My point is this. If you gain (arbitrarily) from a specific creature 0-100 ranks in any given skill, you're maximum TDP gain for that creature is still the maximum TDP gain at skill cap. Irregardless of what you cap first, you can only complete that creature at your slowest skill gain, in our case, that would be defenses. If you need 65 ranks of defenses to begin playing with the next creature, then this creature just became a 0-65 creature, so that's also irrelevant.

So if after the first day, you're defensive tertiary skills are at (in this scenario) 40, but your TM is at 100, then you have gained X TDPs.

If after a week, if your defensive tertiary skills are at 100, and your TM is at 100, then you gain Y TDPs.

-versus-

If after a week, if your defensive tertiary skills -and- your TM is at 100 (because you gated), then you have gained Y TDPs.. still.

Not taking weapons or other combat-related skills into consideration, which ideally you would be weaving those into your daily training anyway. (And either way, they don't matter in this scenario, we're talking about self-gating a skill, which is silly)

>>TDPs from 250 TM + ML + drain > TDPs from 250 TM + clear + drain. If your TM is clear then you're either capped out on the creatures you can survive, or you're arbitrarily gating your TM. Either way, it's not what we're discussing here.

>>Except when you extend this to scale. Over time, your TM will not cap when your armor caps and you'll slow down learning. By intentionally taking it slow, you can create x bits over y time while using the mana/creature health on other skills. That means you get more ranks overall at the cost of slightly slower TM learning. That is more TDPs.

x bits over y time = x bits over y-self gating time. mana/creature health are infinite for our consideration.

Also, just to point out...

>>or you're arbitrarily gating your TM. Either way, it's not what we're discussing here.
>>By intentionally taking it slow, you can create x bits over y time while using the mana/creature health on other skills.

These mean the same thing, so which is it?

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 11:25 AM CDT
TL;DR: You don't have unlimited resources, and it takes more resources to train a single weapon (such as TM) far above your defenses than it does to train multiple weapons around your defenses. Multiple skills > a single skill in terms of TDPs.

> I'm sorry but this makes zero sense. TDPs are an absolute gain from skill ranks. Slowing your learning means you slow your gain rate until cap, but cap is still cap, and you gain the same amount of TDPs if it took you a day to cap TM or a week (on this specific critter).

Unless you have ways to artificially increase spawns, such as multiple characters sitting in a root, you will not have an unlimited supply of creatures.

Your options are this (fake numbers, but real scenarios).
1-2 mindstates of TM per kill. Until it eventually hard caps or you threaten your survival, and the bits dribble in rather than flow.
3-5 mindstates of a weapon per kill. This is exaggerated by masteries which help you keep lower weapons up too.

If you artificially keep your TM at the same pace as your weapons then you can use it like a weapon skill. Fewer actions and resources (in this case mobs/mana/RT) to gain a rank. That gives you more resources (mobs/rt) to train weapons against, and more (mana) to train spells like sorcery or larger buffs.

> Defenses gate your TM learning on higher creatures, so you can overhunt to a degree if you want to maintain TM learning specifically

Go back to my earlier post. I mentioned this as a viable alternative, but I also referred to the hassle and restrictions of finding two hunting areas within a close range of each other that you can walk to.

> Irregardless of what you cap first

This is where you're faltering. You don't have to cap. Train more weapons. Don't worry about always keeping all of them moving. In fact, you don't want to lock weapons early because that means they'll dribble down to low mindstates while you're fighting the character later on. Keep it linear. Use one for a set amount of time, and then move to the next. Continue rotating. Each weapon gets the same amount of total experience over the life of hunting the creature, but you aren't front loading that learning. You're also not caught with poor to no training of your weapons when you're at the upper limits of how a creature trains. That results in more total xp, even if it's slightly slower initial learning of a single weapon (including TM).

> So if after the first day, you're defensive tertiary skills are at (in this scenario) 40, but your TM is at 100, then you have gained X TDPs.

When you're fighting a creature for weeks to months, you shouldn't look only at the first day.

> x bits over y time = x bits over y-self gating time.

x bits over y time in one skill < x/2 bits over y time in more than 2 skills.

> mana/creature health are infinite for our consideration.

This is not a real situation, but you still have teaching ranges even if you were using alts to artificially inflate spawn rate.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 11:49 AM CDT
>>Unless you have ways to artificially increase spawns, such as multiple characters sitting in a root, you will not have an unlimited supply of creatures.

spawn rate is faster than 200 seconds for every creature in the game, and unless you're practically hard capped, then you'll remain above 1/34. So you will in fact, have an unlimited amount of creatures. If something spawns slower than every 200 seconds, then 1) GMs need to look into this as a potential problem and 2) find something else.

If. for some reason, the creature you are hunting is a slow spawner, and you want to train multiple offensive skills, then cycle through every skill 2 mind state levels at a time. If you're killing them too fast, adjust your offensive power. I have this problem currently, so I use lots of feints and jabs with slicing/impact weapons, and run low damage cyclic TM spells like ring of spears. The goal is to keep everything moving, which we agree on. My point is don't stop/slow training TM just because you might accidentally cap and stop learning before you reach a point you can move on to a new mob, that's just not an ideal way to train.

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 12:04 PM CDT

> spawn rate is faster than 200 seconds for every creature in the game,

True, if you only were talking about TM, in a vacuum, on a creature that never capped. But you have opportunity cost with every creature you kill via TM. That opportunity is weapons.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 12:51 PM CDT

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 12:52 PM CDT
No idea where my post went, i'm not retyping that wall of text. TL:DR I'm sorry you don't understand that your method has no benefit compared to keeping everything locked.

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 01:02 PM CDT

> No idea where my post went, i'm not retyping that wall of text.

It's probably best for everyone.

> TL:DR I'm sorry you don't understand that your method has no benefit compared to keeping everything locked.

I get that you're trying to help, and I'm grateful for that. I just don't think you get that there are multiple factors and 25 of 5 things gives you more than 40 of 3. I guess we won't see eye to eye here.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 02:25 PM CDT
>>I get that you're trying to help, and I'm grateful for that. I just don't think you get that there are multiple factors and 25 of 5 things gives you more than 40 of 3. I guess we won't see eye to eye here.

Please explain how you gain any benefit over a given period of time by artificially slowing your learning rate of a skill.

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 03:18 PM CDT

> Please explain how you gain any benefit over a given period of time by artificially slowing your learning rate of a skill.

I think we've already gone through that. I'll try one last time.

- Killable critter 1 spawns.
- Killable critter 2 spawns.

Overtraining TM: You use TM to kill critter 1. You're at 1/34.
Not overtraining TM: You use TM to kill critter 1. You're at 3/34.

You use weapon 1 to kill Critter 2. You're at 3/34 in that weapon.

- Killable critter 3 spawns.

You use weapon 2 to kill Critter 3. You're at 3/34 in that weapon.

- Two more critters spawn.

If you're overtraining TM: repeat using the pattern above, adding 1-2 weapons.
If not overtraining TM: repeat replacing TM with a weapon, so +1-2 weapons.

After the 6 critters, if not overtraining TM,
- Your TM has likely pulsed out. It's Learned 3/34 ranks if you're not overtraining it. It's learned 2/34 ranks if you are.
- You have 2-4+ weapons that pulsed out for 3/34 or will before they come back up in the rotation.
- That's 9-12+ mindstates worth of experience and their accompanying TDPs.

After 6 critters, if overtraining TM.
- Your TM has pulsed out twice at 2/34. You've killed a creature with TM that could have added more mindstates to a weapon.
- You have 1-3 weapons that pulsed out for 3/34 or will before they come back up in the rotation.
- That's a total of 5-9 mindstates worth of experience, and their accompanying TDPs.

There are some slight variations to this, and the numbers aren't real, but the point remains. The more skills you're training, the closer they stay to your tertiaries, the better they each train. If you rush some skills early then they still catch up when you stay close to your terts.

Now, before the objections,
- If you say that this doesn't count because of limited spawns and TM is free then see the caveat in my first post.
- If you say this doesn't count because you can go to a different hunting area to push TM then see the caveat in the post above as well.
- If you say that the numbers aren't real then there's nothing I can do to convince you other than encourage you to try it on a new character. I don't care enough about your training efficiency to do that for you.
- If you say that you don't have any problem keeping everything locked then I'd say you're at the early to mid stages of a creature's training span and to wait until you're near the end. A phase that can easily last weeks or months depending on your ranks.
- If you say that you have more than enough weapons or you could always add more then I'd point out that your TM is still taking the place of at least +1 weapon you could add in.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 03:36 PM CDT
>> with all of my skills moving as fast as they can possibly move
> How? I'm not saying your lying, but I find this statement very hard to believe. If you're in the 400+ range on TM, how are you still locking TM while surviving on a creature (which one?) teaching you tertiary skills (probably around 60-70% of your TM ranks) while providing enough bodies for you to train all weapons on?

Let me go into a bit more detail. I got my training routine mostly together by the time I hit baby gryphons, and I've been running it, with tweaks, ever since. That was around 220 ranks in my main weapon, and similar in my tert defenses IIRC. I had done some backtraining to get my various weapons in line after I decided what they were. I'm currently hunting storm bulls (and about to move out of them to another critter, because learning is slowing down). In all that time, I have only fought a single creature at a time. I haven't used any tricks to increase monster spawn or anything like that. I train stealth at level too, and I don't die overly much. Currently there is about a 100 rank difference between my TM and my main weapon, and about a 100 rank difference between my main weapon and my tert defenses.

How?
* Remember, you can always have a spell prepping. You're not losing any time for that, only for the casting.
* I stay buffed. In combat I run with ETF, RM, SUF, SW, MAF, AEG, TW, Substratum up.
* Get a good armor set that doesn't hinder much.
* Watch your burden and your nerves.
* I train TM with fireball while I've got EE up. TM locks, Debil will have been locked for a while, so I switch to AC and rotate between my Augmentation and Utility spells.

The only thing I'm giving up by this is that I train only 7-8 weapons as opposed to all 13. I prioritize keeping all skills moving during my training sessions rather than locking one and then moving on.

> For combat based skills, you're going to do this either by choice or because the game forces you to. Primary skills will eventually stop learning on creatures you're fighting. There are ways around it, but they're so much of a hassle that many people choose not to do it. For example, trying to find two hunting areas close enough in skill that you can train both tiers without dying.

Not for me. Not for a long time. The last time I did 2 hunting areas was bouncing back and forth between leucros and guardians.

> There are. If your primary skills are combat oriented then you could get to a point that you're killing to fast to effectively train.

With careful critter choices, you can avoid this. Also, don't use spells like DB, BG, or cyclic TM in training. They kill too fast for the experience you get.

> In my mind, there's a very easy (fundamentally, I doubt it's so easy programatically) solution to this. TM symbiosis.

I honestly don't feel any need for it.

> You took my post all wrong really. I'm not sure where you got the idea of NOT training TM and keeping it even with weapons. I meant adding in weapons to stay in combat longer at level so you gain TDPs from weapons and don't move up super quick and become a 'glass cannon'.

> I've seen a lot of people from all instances start a WM and be all amped about the cool TM and then they become a one trick pony because they min train defenses and weapons. Just wanted to help the new WM NOT do that.
Ok, yeah, sorry. I agree very much like that. I've hard of people using debil to be safe in an area just to lock TM, while not training defenses. That's a super bad idea. And at low levels, you WILL cap TM, so it makes sense to train some extra weapons when that happens, so why not?

But once you move past the point where that happens, anything that makes your TM lag is costing you, IMO.

- Saragos
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 04:41 PM CDT

> The only thing I'm giving up by this is that I train only 7-8 weapons as opposed to all 13

I would say that 7-8 weapons, at level, is training wide if you aren't counting masteries. Even so, if you didn't kill as fast with fireball, could you squeeze in 13? What would the rank difference be in your TM and what would be the sum of the ranks you'd gain?

> Not for me. Not for a long time. The last time I did 2 hunting areas was bouncing back and forth between leucros and guardians.

Right. I've said multiple times that this approach is a more effective option, assuming you are okay with the hassle and you have two areas nearby that fit the requisite mold. I'm not discussing this approach. We both agree that it works.

> With careful critter choices, you can avoid this. Also, don't use spells like DB, BG, or cyclic TM in training. They kill too fast for the experience you get.

So we're agreeing then? You have to shut down damage channels, or reduce the primary skill, to keep secondaries and tertiaries growing.

> But once you move past the point where that happens, anything that makes your TM lag is costing you, IMO.

But we're giving advice to a new player. I think the advice we give someone out of the character generator is far different from the advice you'd give someone that's post 150.
Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 04:49 PM CDT
None of those objections.

What's the difference between hard capping TM today vs hard capping TM a week from now?

>>- If you say that the numbers aren't real then there's nothing I can do to convince you other than encourage you to try it on a new character. I don't care enough about your training efficiency to do that for you.

I'm training a bard, a cleric, and a moon mage, all sub circle 50. I've trained a warmage to 50, then another warmage to 80s. I have zero problems moving from critter to critter.

On the cleric, (since he has the same skillsets)
Train everything 34/34
Stop training TM when it caps
Stop training weapons when they cap
Move on when Defenses allow you to.

On the bard, (weapon/magic secondary, armor tert)
Train everything 34/34
Stop training TM and Weapons when they cap
Move on when Defenses allow you to.

On the moon mage (magic prime, armor/weapon tert)
Stop training TM when it caps
Move on when Defenses and Weapons allow you to.

That's it.

With your method, it's the same result, in the same amount of time. -Except- you don't have a capped TM skill (if you need it).

>>critter spawn is a problem.

Untrue. Critter spawn has not been a problem from ship rats to dobeks. If you would like my training route, let me know I'll be happy to sort it out for you.

Re: Spell suggestions for a returning player? 10/15/2016 04:59 PM CDT
> Stop training TM when it caps
> Stop training weapons when they cap
> Move on when Defenses allow you to.

This is what I'm (poorly) trying to explain. If you kill things slower with TM, you can add more weapons. This lets you continue to use TM to train without having to stop it, and you don't have worry about extra bits being lost due to mind lock. Nothing will cap faster than your defenses, and they'll train really well with fewer mob deaths on the next tier. For training purposes, this is superior.
Prev_page Previous 1