Prev_page Previous 1
My OCD is happy 03/02/2016 06:00 PM CST
A little project I started on last year and I'm now picking it back up (There's still quite a bit of work to do, so don't expect this like... tomorrow or anything).

[The Crossing, Town Green Southeast]
This tranquil corner of the Green has a small bower of entwined modwyn vines, laden with tempting, grape-like clusters. A limestone bench and some sawed-off sections of trees that serve as rustic stools make up an open-air performance space, where bards, musicians and poets can demonstrate their talents. You also see a grass path leading behind the amphitheater, a young alchemist student, the Amphitheater gate, a gilded walkway and a strong and stately mature oak.
Obvious paths: north, west, northwest.

>per elements fire
The climate conditions are slightly favorable to the casting of Fire spells.

[Muspar'i, Great Gate Square]
The draconic hulk known as the Great Gate of Muspar'i dominates the square named after it, towering over the mosaic path underfoot. Serving as the near-singular point of travel between the merchant city and the Velaka Desert, the gate is at once both intimidating and awe-inspiring. You also see a stately amphitheater portal, a bucket of viscous gloop, a festive meeting portal and a festive portal.
Obvious paths: southwest, northwest.

>per elements fire
The climate conditions are overwhelmingly favorable to the casting of Fire spells.

[Faldesu River, North Bank]
The Riverhaven town wall stretches out into the waters a short distance upriver from a crumbling stone bridge. The sounds of pleading beggars and creaking merchant wagons grate against the peaceful sounds of the rolling river. Small fishing boats bob in the sheltered cove formed by the town wall, their weather-wary owners busy on the bank mending nets and patching sail.
Obvious paths: southeast, south, southwest.

>per elements fire
The surrounding water is overwhelmingly detrimental to the casting of Fire spells.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: My OCD is happy 03/02/2016 06:16 PM CST
I love you.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/02/2016 07:30 PM CST
That's going to be pretty cool when finished.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/02/2016 07:45 PM CST
This project is also legit way more annoying and large than I expected.

Curse you environmental factors.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: My OCD is happy 03/02/2016 07:55 PM CST
>This project is also legit way more annoying and large than I expected.

>Curse you environmental factors.

Plus you have to start on the genetic ones next.

...I'm sorry.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 10:15 AM CST
Serious question on this ability as I develop it.

The old environmental mods tended to be very simple (And that's why I'm rewriting them).

Lightning, for example, was +3% if it was raining and -3% otherwise. And that's it.

Earth didn't even have any other than domains.

My original intention was to make them slightly more complex (Or exist at all) and give them a less binary feel - which would in turn let me have the tool feedback to you why conditions were favorable or unfavorable etc.

Except, that's not what's happening as I go through these. To continue with lightning (since it's relatively simple compared to the others I've written, fire and water) it now factors in:

Climate (Tropics and subtropics are favorable)
Time of day (Lightning is more common from afternoon to midnight)
Season (Lighting is more common in spring and summer, less in winter)
Weather conditions (Clear, cloudy, rainy, stormy are all different now)
Inside (Being indoors is unfavorable to calling down bolts of lightning from the sky)

And... that kind of makes me happy. But it comes at a cost of the tool being less useful in explaining the why the results exist.

Instead of:

Electricity is favored because you're outside in a tropical storm.

I'm often forced to condense the messaging to something like this:

The climate conditions are moderately favorable to the casting of Electricity spells.

Does this seem like a reasonable trade off to people? Most environmental factors are things you can already measure (With TIME and WEATHER mostly) and I believe there are some other tools in the works in an unrelated project to let you access the room by room environmental settings (Such as if an area is tropical). So I could provide a list of what factors you're looking for on the forums so you would know what tools to use if you felt like you weren't sure why a particular scenario was favorable or unfavorable. That's not the same as having it broken down in game, but to do that properly would greatly increase the complexity of a project that has already grown in scope quite a lot so I'm a little reluctant to go down that path.

(Note: I'm going to be out of town for about two days, so my response time is going to be erratic if at all during that window.)

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 10:40 AM CST
As long as the tools and information are available to us, I think that is a perfectly fair balance of player skill vs character skill.

A tool to glance and figure out the total affect of the environment on the various domains is great, and I wouldn't ask for more detailed information than that from such a tool. This being contingent on both having other tools available to figure out the level of the individual factors, and being provided the knowledge of what factors affect what domains in what way.

One of my favorite things about DR is the complexity and depth, so I'm excited to see environmental factors for elemental magic become both more complex and more open information at the same time.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 10:54 AM CST
Just to put my cards on the table here, in the past elemental effects were bound within -5% to 5% (And often -3% to 3% depending on the element).

I'm doubling the range between -10% to 10% and adding enough variables that the actual range will get used.

My logic is that if we're going to bother to do this we should make them large enough that players actually notice "Hey, I'm in a blizzard, maybe a fireball isn't the best tool for this particular job".

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 12:34 PM CST
Seems like a reasonable trade-off to me. You're being transparent enough with the factors (which would presumably make it to epedia for reference) that interested folk should be able to figure out exactly how/why their spells are being affected without needing to dump too much specific detail into the PERCEIVE output.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 01:11 PM CST
Im really excited to see a consistent logic applied to this hodgepodge system finally! Per book rather than per spell is a wonderful improvement.

I agree that so long as the factors are disclosed somewhere, I really do not need a wall of text in game any more than I need to know exactly why pyschic projection mana is low on my moon mage. I can figure that out if I really want to, and it's fun to pass that knowledge along, but in the moment I only want a command to tell me How bad it is not why.

I don't even need the factors spelled out if there's enough there to reasonably guess.

---

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 03:11 PM CST

I think it could be really great but -10/+10 worries me a little bit only because some spells are far more useful than others and I am wondering how often some environmental spells will be applied vs some others. I am going to assume they cant be applied evenly for like weather for example. Any thoughts on this?
Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 03:29 PM CST
>I think it could be really great but -10/+10 worries me a little bit only because some spells are far more useful than others and I am wondering how often some environmental spells will be applied vs some others.

Right now environmental modifiers are on a per-spell basis which makes thematic sense (FoI is much worse in summer at high noon, geyser doesn't care), but as a result they're kind of weird and random in practice. It'll be much better to normalize the system even with an increased effect.

It's worth remembering that WMs have a number of tools to mitigate this: domains, fir familiars.

Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 04:55 PM CST
Sounds pretty cool to me. I agree that it's reasonable to do what you can regarding the "why" output. We can use our player knowledge to feel special.

Will Bards be getting the same hooks?

- Navesi
Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 05:14 PM CST
very cool. also while yer puttin stuff in, can war mages change the weather? can they....make it rain?

or snow? summoning a thunderstorm or a blizzard would be cool, cuz summoning.

-Munch-
Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 05:33 PM CST
<<The climate conditions are moderately favorable to the casting of Electricity spells.
<<+10% to -10%

As long as there's a reasonably granular scale indicating relative strength of the bonus (e.g. very strong, strong, moderate, moderately weak, weak, no + favourable/disfavourable) so we don't have to guess too much at the actual strength then this would be fine with me. The specifics of why aren't so necessary.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/03/2016 09:45 PM CST
It's staying per spell, but outside of water (which has hot and cold, and both shockwave and foi are weird) that's the same as per book.

My intention is to give this to bards only for Elemental Invocations.

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/04/2016 01:39 AM CST
Raesh, this sounds great! I'll echo the previous sentiments that it's enough that the information is available as to what factors are adding into the relative usefulness of various elements.

+/- 10% seems like a great number to use too, and allays my big concern - that as more spells are released the average WM's breadth of attack options will be squeezed harder and harder. But 10% is enough to give some flavor without being too punitive even if you don't have the means to avoid the penalties.

I like it! Can't wait to see the results. Thanks for thinking of us.

- Saragos
Re: My OCD is happy 03/04/2016 07:27 AM CST
Hey hey!

Seconding that it seems fine for the messaging to be abstracted as long as we know what the variables are and have a way to assess their values.

What does the +/- 10% modifier refer to? Is it to difficulty?

Mazrian
Re: My OCD is happy 03/04/2016 07:45 AM CST
Will you be including Aether, what factors are you thinking of that?
Re: My OCD is happy 03/04/2016 09:02 AM CST
Currently these only modify difficulty and I haven't changed that. I may expand it mana cost too. We'll see.

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/04/2016 02:30 PM CST

Will there be special room circumstance factors as well? Would surrounding the room in varying bits of metal armor and weapons and junk suddenly make an area more favorable for lightning? (Also for rooms that would normally be environmentally bad for lightning like in the middle of a rocky canyon or something, but there some large metal spire in the room or something).

When responding to something, make sure you have the facts. Otherwise you are just wasting time. -sig-
Re: My OCD is happy 03/04/2016 02:58 PM CST
Some spells used to interact with this system in the past, but domains seem to fill that role now pretty completely. Environmental mods have always been a modest background flavor element (ha) and I don't think they ought become an annoying foreground consideration where I carry around a bucket of water, a stove, and a lightning rod.

Re: My OCD is happy 03/04/2016 03:54 PM CST
> Currently these only modify difficulty and I haven't changed that. I may expand it mana cost too. We'll see.

Well, mana cost would at least make the environmental factors relevant even after your skill has surpassed having to care about a 10% increase in difficulty. I'm not sure how everyone would feel about that, but I thought I'd mention it.

- Saragos
Re: My OCD is happy 03/04/2016 04:31 PM CST
>>Will there be special room circumstance factors as well? Would surrounding the room in varying bits of metal armor and weapons and junk suddenly make an area more favorable for lightning? (Also for rooms that would normally be environmentally bad for lightning like in the middle of a rocky canyon or something, but there some large metal spire in the room or something).

No.

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/05/2016 06:58 PM CST
Alright... that project sprawled a lot.

I'm going to push it all into Test in a little bit (I still have to go through and update literally every Warrior Mage spell in the game so... I'll let you know when I'm done) so you can all play with it and offer feedback before it goes live since this will be a fairly sweeping change.

Note: It hasn't been QC'ed yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if some weird bugs/typos still crop up. If you find results that don't make sense please let me know with as many details as possible (The exact room, time and weather should be enough in most cases) and I'll look into them when I have time (Which I may not have much more of this weekend). But aware, I know for a fact there's some environmental settings around the world that are just weird and until the other project I mentioned moves forward to let players better view and interact with those settings I'm only going to chase down places that seem egregiously wrong (You're in the middle of a lake and it says fire magic is good to go or water is awful, or you're at the bottom of a cave and it's recommending air magic instead of earth magic... that sort of thing.)

You can PERCEIVE ELEMENTS (element/all/help). I think the rest should be sufficiently explained in game, please let me know if it is not. I'm happy to clarify what any particular element is looking for except Aether.

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/05/2016 08:06 PM CST
Do these modifiers work on bard spells? I assume not, since that whole system seems different.

I also assume it's not character/guild dependent, so if I had a cleric memorize a not-signature spell, the modifiers would effect his casting?
Re: My OCD is happy 03/05/2016 08:45 PM CST
>I also assume it's not character/guild dependent, so if I had a cleric memorize a not-signature spell, the modifiers would effect his casting?

I dunno about now, but it's always just been part of the spell.

Re: My OCD is happy 03/05/2016 09:06 PM CST
<<Do these modifiers work on bard spells? I assume not, since that whole system seems different.

He said it would only apply to the Elemental Invocation spells for bards. That's the spellbook bards have that directly interact with elements in their raw form. E.g. Breath of Storms, Phoenix's Pyre, the ritual infusion spells which infuse raw elemental energy into the bards body, etc.

I don't think they are currently in the system or even slated to be in the upcoming test run, but will be added at some point.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/05/2016 10:02 PM CST
>>Do these modifiers work on bard spells?

Elemental Invocations only.

>>I also assume it's not character/guild dependent, so if I had a cleric memorize a not-signature spell, the modifiers would effect his casting?

Yes.

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/06/2016 03:46 PM CST
Feedback here or somewhere else?

>perc elem water
>>The climate conditions are overwhelmingly favorable to the casting of cold based Water spells and overwhelmingly favorable to heat based Water spells.
Cold-based and heat-based should be hyphenated, I think.

>perc element help
>>Electrical magic is favorable in stormy, tropical conditions. Practitioners find the most success in the _Spring and Summer months, the later part of the day and reach their full potential during heavy rainfall.
There's an extra space before Spring.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/06/2016 04:04 PM CST
Well that ain't right...

[Forging Society, Forge]
Sparkles from long-dried metal reflect up from the dolomite floor, illuminated by an octagonal forge in the room's center. Nearby, a steel anvil and a granite grindstone wait for use with metalwork. Tendrils of steam rise from the damp floor beneath a briny slack tub used for cooling finished goods. You also see a pile of fuel and a large waste bucket.
Obvious exits: north.

Your indoor surroundings are overwhelmingly detrimental to the casting of Air spells.
Your surroundings are overwhelmingly detrimental to the casting of Earth spells.

>prep dema 150
Since you're attempting to feed more power into the spell pattern than it is capable of utilizing, you quickly work your way down to its maximal potential.
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Desert's Maelstrom spell.

>pow
You reach out with your senses and hear radiant streams of harmonious Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Concentrating harder on the sounds you hear, you can sense blazing mana to the north.
You sense the Whispers of the Muse spell upon you, which will last for about six roisaen.
You are preparing the Desert's Maelstrom spell at one mana.
You remember a way to combine the weaves of the Harvest symbiosis with another spell.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/06/2016 04:08 PM CST
I thought maybe it was the detrimental conditions, but beneficial conditions are hosing my mana too:

[Western Road, Foot of Wyvern Mountain]
A dull roar can be heard from the west as water cascades down the face of Wyvern Mountain, its looming presence casting shadows that absorb light and chill the air. To the east is the Lake of Tears, its waters casting glimmering reflections against the crystal walls of Shard. Around the base of the mountain, a crude road curves into the distance. You also see a completely destroyed fort.
Obvious paths: east, northwest.

The climate conditions are overwhelmingly favorable to the casting of Air spells.
Your surroundings are favorable to the casting of Earth spells.

>prep dema 100
Since you're attempting to feed more power into the spell pattern than it is capable of utilizing, you quickly work your way down to its maximal potential.
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Desert's Maelstrom spell.

>pow
You reach out with your senses and hear luminous streams of harmonious Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Concentrating harder on the sounds you hear, you can sense flaring mana to the northwest, and luminous mana to the east.
You sense the Whispers of the Muse spell upon you, which will last for about two roisaen.
You are preparing the Desert's Maelstrom spell at sixteen mana.
You remember a way to combine the weaves of the Harvest symbiosis with another spell.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Re: My OCD is happy 03/06/2016 04:21 PM CST
Feedback here is fine.

I'll fix those typos in the next push.

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/06/2016 04:37 PM CST
Re: DEMA

Earth Mods were wonky. They should be fixed.

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/07/2016 11:01 AM CST
[Stream Bank]
Smooth rounded pebbles, bleached by the sun to a pearly white, line the rocky bed of a sparkling stream. Not much wider than a strong leap could carry you, the brook flows gently over clean stones, occassionally parting for a large rock thrust from its center. Green clumps of reeds prospering along the grassy bank offer a safe haven to the shy water creatures which make their home here.
Obvious paths: southeast, west.

> perc ele all
You extend your senses to gently probe the elements about you:
The planar conditions are moderately detrimental to the casting of Aether spells.
The climate conditions are overwhelmingly favorable to the casting of Air spells.
Your surroundings are neutral to the casting of Earth spells.
The climate conditions are moderately favorable to the casting of Electricity spells.
The climate conditions are moderately favorable to the casting of Fire spells.
The climate conditions are moderately detrimental to the casting of cold-based Water spells and moderately favorable to heat-based Water spells.
Roundtime: 12 sec.
R> time
It has been 419 years, 95 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
It is the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer in the year of the Crystal Snow Hare.
It is currently spring and it is midday.
You're positive it's 14 roisaen after the Anlas of Dergati's Bane.
> weath
You glance up at the sky.
The sky is very cloudy.

[Silvery Pool, Waterfall]
Cool tendrils of water slip down the rough surface of the mammoth stone outcropping, cascading to the rock's base with a sibilant whisper. Water dances and leaps jubilantly beneath the waterfall, before rippling away in great waves, to finally die away and lie still at the pool's farthest reaches. Along the banks, tall vilt reeds provide privacy for modest swimmers.
Obvious paths: northwest.

>
Mapped exits: go silvery pool

> perc ele all
You extend your senses to gently probe the elements about you:
The planar conditions are detrimental to the casting of Aether spells.
Your surroundings are neutral to the casting of Earth spells.
The climate conditions are moderately favorable to the casting of Fire spells.
The climate conditions are moderately detrimental to the casting of cold-based Water spells and moderately favorable to heat-based Water spells.
Roundtime: 12 sec.
R> time
It has been 419 years, 95 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
It is the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer in the year of the Crystal Snow Hare.
It is currently spring and it is midday.
You're positive it's 15 roisaen before the Anlas of Firulf's Flame.
> weat
You glance up at the sky.
The sky is very cloudy.

Seems a little off.

Mazrian
Re: My OCD is happy 03/07/2016 11:34 AM CST
Heyo.

Been playing around in Test and thinking about the bonus/penalty structure. Having a tool to check the elemental mods is just...neat, in a way that's hard to describe without sounding like a geek. I like the difficulty mod.

I think the mana mod might end up being too clunky to work the way it's intended.

When the elements are out of favor the max mana on a spell goes up a variable amount and requires the player to pay a lot of attention to what the mods are in the room at the moment they're casting in order to ensure, for instance, a capped cast, is actually a capped cast. In a lot of situations that is going to be sort of annoying - hunting, running training scripts that have to cast close to the character's personal cap, things like that. In PvP it could get extremely frustrating - for instance when a capped disabler will get through a target's barriers and succeed but a 95% cast won't. Because of the limits of the text medium it seems like it will be very taxing on the player to get the info needed to evaluate the elemental conditions then run the mental math to cast appropriately - especially when things are happening fast and being accurate matters the most. Likewise it'll be difficult to save mana when the elements are in favor.

IMO it would be better if spells could be more or less attunement efficient on the cast depending on the elements, rather than having variable mana caps. That seems like it would be in the same flavor as variable caps without forcing the player through a lot of extra analysis.

Mazrian
Re: My OCD is happy 03/07/2016 12:06 PM CST
I don't immediately recognize those rooms, where are they? My guess looking at your results is they don't actually have standing water in them like you expect and you're in an otherwise warm environment.

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/07/2016 12:09 PM CST
I could restore them just to difficulty (as they were before) and not mana, but your still going to need to account for the elements when casting on the edge of your skill, it would just be less extreme.

Your point is taken on how important it can be at times to make certain your capped... and that may not be a good thing overall.

Anyone else have input on this?

-Raesh

Re: My OCD is happy 03/07/2016 12:09 PM CST
Go up the NTR from Xing until you hit the first bridge and take the east exit. I think you're right - the room implies you're in a stream but there's no water water until you actually go into the pool.

Mazrian
Re: My OCD is happy 03/07/2016 12:21 PM CST
>>I could restore them just to difficulty (as they were before) and not mana, but your still going to need to account for the elements when casting on the edge of your skill, it would just be less extreme.<<

That's true. I was thinking that the difficulty mods I can at least soak with more skill in some cases. The mana mods require me to change the way I cast if I want to cap (or not have extra harnessed mana hanging around when the elements are favorable).

>>Your point is taken on how important it can be at times to make certain your capped... and that may not be a good thing overall.<<

Overall I think I would be a lot happier if this weren't the case, both for use and for training.

Mazrian
Prev_page Previous 1