Prev_page Previous 1
My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/22/2003 11:21 PM CDT
I've been thinking about the dynamics of creation systems and its' effect on the Elanthian economy.

The main reason that forgers, tanners, and the like are able to make a large profit margin is that the items they create (dependant on their guild-related skills) have no competition from anyone else. GM Merchants who can even remotely come close to what is being made now is few and far in-between. There is virtually little to no competition for players.

Traders, on the other hand, having certain creation systems they are good at, embroidery, is a low desire service. And more hurtful (in my opinion), is that GM Merchants can surpass the ability that ANY Trader can provide. Practically every GM merchant is competition to a Trader.

A suggestion would be to have a set up where only a Trader has access to certain 'components', and the Trader would assemble the pieces themselves - then sell it. This type of creation system would eliminate the GM competition, and would be more in line with forging/tanning.

Ex:
A. A Trader store/area where a Trader would have to 'prove' to the sales clerks they are worthy of buying item patterns and components, and sets.
B. Trader buys a 'necklace pattern' and some necklace components (silver/gold/gems).
C. Studying the pattern, the Trader assembles the pieces together - possibly with certain tools also.

Instead of a necklace pattern - Merchants would stock this Trader store/area with their own designs so that Traders could assemble it instead (think origami).

"Trading/Reputation would dictate what a Trader can buy, Mechanical Lore will dictate if the Trader can make it."

Ex:
Merchant ABC says, "I need Traders to make these two items so I can sell them in my tent, you will be paid for each piece made!"

Pattern: a sparkling gold necklace in the shape of leaping flames.
Required:
gold: 2 bars.
rubies: 3.
steps: 10 steps.
difficulty: 4.
reputation: 7. (only a trader with reputation of 7+ can buy this pattern)
cost: 300 kronars. (Trader buys needed supplies)
payment: 5000 kronars. (if a merchant wants to purchase it)
(hidden from Traders' knowledge, the item could have the TAP, NUDGE, and KISS verbs)

Pattern: a sparkling silver necklace in the shape of a crescent moon.
silver: 2 bars.
sapphires: 3.
steps: 10 steps.
difficulty: 3.
reputation: 5. (only a trader with reputation of 5+ can buy this pattern)
cost: 250 kronars.
payment: 3000 kronars.

This could open contracts with merchants and all Traders - so instead of building the tents for merchants, we could actually make the item itself.

I know this suggestion would force a GM Merchant to (1) create the item first, and (2) define how a Trader (or anyone else) could make it. Is this similar to forging/tanning?

-Veii

Veii's Veranda : http://drveii.mysitespace.com
- The Index of Trader Services -
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 06:31 AM CDT
>Practically every GM merchant is competition to a Trader.

EXACTLY!

I wouldn't even call it competition. Competition is assuming folks are competing for business. That doesn't happen. GM Merchants have no competition.

GMs don't see their merchants and auctions as hurting our guild. What they are looking for is a way to drain the economy.

I think player Traders could have a way to launder money out of existence...then no need for these economic black holes that come in and do our job for us.

Glad to see another trader sees how rude this is.

Amen Veii.

Gidske
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 11:08 AM CDT
I agree especially on the creation systems.

Embroidery and will not be any viable source of income as long as GM merchants can produce and sell as much stuff as they want and not have to be limited to choose their wares from a 10 item list, or from a combination of about 20 patters, 40 colors, and 30 items. I can not imagine any trader creation system that can compete with the GMs on their level.

Also Traders have a bonus to tanning containers and clothing types of items. How do these in any way surpass the Crossing General Store's Backpack that cost 168 copper? Till we can create better than the GMs or NPC merchants it will never be desired by the players.

Players still cant change or embellish player made weapons and armors. When gem crafting comes out how can we compete with a GM in creating a jewelry item that players desire?

Empaths will soon be able to make healing potions that surpass what any merchant carries. Not sure what state the spell is in that will increase the effectiveness of a herb, and they have shift.

Gweths were taken out of the treasure system cause the Moonies whined,

Forgers(paladins and barbs) where assured that GM weapons and armor would never surpass forged.

Tanned armors are much better than you will ever see again in GM run shops or merchants.

Thieves have restricted lockpick carving to just their guild.

So where does that leave Clerics?

Seems to me as if Traders should be on the top or near the top of this list. but we have been buried because GMs like creating items, and merchants and providing that service to all guilds equally at the expense of one.

I know and have heard that there are plans to change the way things work and with DR2 and the breakout of mech lore that all this will be better. I am still wondering how, we can ever catch up with the barbs or even the rangers that can afford not one but two sailing vessels? Especially when one considers that it will be probably 2 years before code is implemented to have anything in place to change this

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 11:40 AM CDT
What really sucks more is the fact that traders no longer are the rich of elanthia they work for the rich of elanthia. They slave at tables and auctions in order to make their cut from a forger or armor maker.
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 12:23 PM CDT
I just find it sad that a 99th circle Trader makes so much less than a 99th circle Pallie/Barbarian/Ranger. I mean, I can agree that EVERY Trader shouldn't be making as much as these high-level characters, but definitely one of the same circle should be blowing them out of the water.

~ Ahkshan
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 07:13 PM CDT
Smithing does something no creation system does:

Utilize player knowledge in the creation of the final product.

Every other system dictates the final product via skills alone. It would mean that: 300 ranks of leather armor + 250 ranks of mechanical lore = perfect leathers. While all you need is the material and the ranks to do it.

Let's not forget the main importance of why Smithing and Tanning are great -- They're USEFUL! Not many people want to pay 300 platinum coins for a shift that makes them look pretty. They want something to IMPROVE their character in the long run.

This is ultimately why many creation systems fail.

All it takes is to understand the system, commit yourself to the system, experiment continously on the system, then sell your goods and build up your reputation and your trust among the populace. Do that about a trillion times straight, day in and day out. Keep working at it so hard, don't stop. Don't complain when things don't go your way, but come up with different solutions to a problem (There are often times multiple solutions to one given problem). Sacrafice EVERYTHING for your career. Do it basically to perfection and most of all ENJOY DOING IT.

I'm referring to HARDCORE Smithing, where you don't stop even if your tired (similar to Hardcore Hunting). It's as if you know what's going to happen next and you work towards it.

Then when you have your riches and your fame, you would think it's all over, right? The problems will keep coming at you and you'll try to figure them out one at a time. But the problems will never end, because of this ONE ABSOLUTE TRUTH - People in Dragonrealms will ALWAYS complain and not everyone will be satisfied when the dust settles.

I wouldn't ask of anyone to work as hard as I had to work with the Smithing system. Understanding and continously updating what can be done and doing it over and over.. Working more hours then most GameMasters. It's just not right.

Work with what you have; Understand your system; Sacrafice yourself for your career; Build your Reputation; Work with your peers; Understand the goal you have set forth.

Life is easy, YOU choose what to make out of it.

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Smegul says, "Argh, Sky Giants hella suck."

Ruffles says, "Hella this, hella that, hella, hella, hella."
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 07:20 PM CDT
>I wouldn't ask of anyone to work as hard as I had to work with the Smithing system. Understanding and continously updating what can be done and doing it over and over.. Working more hours then most GameMasters. It's just not right.

I'm pretty sure every Trader here would give anything to even have the OPTION of working as hard as you do with the smithing system in order to make those kinds of rewards. But apparently it makes more sense for the really great, complex, profitable creation systems to be dominated by lore tertiary guilds, go figure.

Apu
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 08:00 PM CDT
Ruffles -

Like Apu said, I'd die for the chance (as long as I had favors left). I play DR many hours every day. When I wake up, before I go to bed, when i'm working on a computer, and many other times. Recently (a week or two ago), I rolled up an Olvi and got the chance to take some hardcore time training him in the knowledge of smoke images. About 200-300 cigars later (and a crapload of time), he can teach all 20. Is that useful? Eh, not really. Fun? Definitely not while I was doing the training. Am I reaping any benefits? Sure, my friends can learn smoke images with no trouble and I have a way to make a few extra gold once in a blue moon.

I could easily put in an insane number of hours on any project given to me... I just need to be given the opportunity.

Congrats on your new achievement. I was at your ceremony and know you worked hard for it. My problem is that Apu (sorry to use you as an example) has been at circle 99 for quite a while now. What opportunity does he have to create anything nearly as useful as weapons or armor? Or even to provide a service useful enough to the public that would reap the profits you do from forging? Even if it took a new system he would have to be the first to work on, learn, and perfect, I'm sure he would jump on that in a second. I know I would...

~ Ahkshan
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 08:17 PM CDT
<<Gossfords' Post>>

Excellent points also.

I don't understand why player forgers, tanners, bowyers are given 'exclusive' rights of making the best armors, weapons, arrows, bows, when it is made clear that GMs can surpass anything that a player can do.

A GMNPC can be a 99th circle gnome barbarian, but he/she WON'T sell weapons that are as good as (or better) than player made? I don't get this.. are player forgers/tanners so reliant on creation systems to make money? Hunting alone doesn't yield enough boxes, gems, pelts?

Being able to forge your own armor that is, dare I say, close to the best is an achievement - You don't have to wait for a festival. In my opinion, this is how item creation should be set up all around. Merchants are supposed to be superior, let them be superior.

Can you imagine what would happen to the forging market if a GM Barbarian Forger worked with a Trader to sell special metal forged-weapons that no other player can make? My prediction is that more coins would syphon out to where they belong - Traders and 'The black void (GMs)'.

-Veii

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 09:58 PM CDT
<<I'm pretty sure every Trader here would give anything to even have the OPTION of working as hard as you do with the smithing system in order to make those kinds of rewards. But apparently it makes more sense for the really great, complex, profitable creation systems to be dominated by lore tertiary guilds, go figure.>>

Because it would make absolutely no sense for Weapon Smithing to be related to a weapon skill set, of course.

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 10:04 PM CDT
<<I could easily put in an insane number of hours on any project given to me... I just need to be given the opportunity.>>

Roll up a Barbarian.

<<Congrats on your new achievement. I was at your ceremony and know you worked hard for it. My problem is that Apu (sorry to use you as an example) has been at circle 99 for quite a while now. What opportunity does he have to create anything nearly as useful as weapons or armor? Or even to provide a service useful enough to the public that would reap the profits you do from forging? Even if it took a new system he would have to be the first to work on, learn, and perfect, I'm sure he would jump on that in a second. I know I would...>>

Yeah, we all know that Trading is not a creation system, because... You get coins from the system for moving from one destination to another with a caravan. Give me a break! You do not have to deal with individuals, just the NPC clerks. If you put in the time commitment and were willing to trade, you would make a lot more coins then you would think.

You have the opportunity to make coins. Use it!

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 10:06 PM CDT
<<I don't understand why player forgers, tanners, bowyers are given 'exclusive' rights of making the best armors, weapons, arrows, bows, when it is made clear that GMs can surpass anything that a player can do.>>

Because that is what the GMs have decided upon, not the players.

<<A GMNPC can be a 99th circle gnome barbarian, but he/she WON'T sell weapons that are as good as (or better) than player made? I don't get this.. are player forgers/tanners so reliant on creation systems to make money? Hunting alone doesn't yield enough boxes, gems, pelts?>>

A GMNPC can be a LOT of things, what is your point?

<<Can you imagine what would happen to the forging market if a GM Barbarian Forger worked with a Trader to sell special metal forged-weapons that no other player can make? My prediction is that more coins would syphon out to where they belong - Traders and 'The black void (GMs)'.>>

If a GM Barbarian Forger were to sell weapons, he would sell it with a GM Trader. GMs are not allowed to help players in this manner.

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 10:18 PM CDT
>Because it would make absolutely no sense for Weapon Smithing to be related to a weapon skill set, of course.

I agree. To be completely honest, it doesn't make any sense for weaponsmithing to be dependent more in your skill with the weapon than your mechanical lore (or in the future, metalworking) skill. Just because you know everything about killing stuff with a sword doesn't mean you know a thing about how to make it, and realistically, you could easily be the top weaponsmith in the land without knowing how to fight at all.

Supposedly this will all get taken care of when the mech lore skill gets broken up, but we'll have to wait and see.

Apu
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/23/2003 11:13 PM CDT
<<Veii: I don't understand why player forgers, tanners, bowyers are given 'exclusive' rights of making the best armors, weapons, arrows, bows, when it is made clear that GMs can surpass anything that a player can do.>>

<<Ruffles: Because that is what the GMs have decided upon, not the players.>>

Ruffles dear, my comment wasn't mean in an insulting manner - yes, I know that the GMs have decided this.. I was merely expressing myself in that I didn't understand the reason for it. If their reason was, "Because we said so." - it still wouldn't a valid explaination for me.

<<Ruffles: A GMNPC can be a LOT of things, what is your point?>>

My point: Perhaps a GMNPC can be a craftsperson who can make better than anything better than any player now, even armor? Wouldn't that be possible? (This really refers to the first part of the post.) I suppose it goes back to the GMs deciding not to do so.

<<Ruffles: If a GM Barbarian Forger were to sell weapons, he would sell it with a GM Trader. GMs are not allowed to help players in this manner.>>

Are you talking about strictly about forgers and weapons? I don't see any reason why GM Merchants couldn't sell strictly to a certain group of players - there are, afterall, guild-restricted merchant tents and guild related shops.

-Veii

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 12:56 AM CDT
<< Roll up a Barbarian. >>
<< If you put in the time commitment and were willing to trade, you would make a lot more coins then you would think. >>

Okay, i guess my post was taken the wrong way. In no way did I mean that guilds should be stripped of their creation abilities. I think I said in my last post that I agree with the concept of PCs that have worked very hard to get to where they are SHOULD have such a system.

I just also think that Traders who have also worked very hard should have such a system also. My intent is not to personally attack anyone here, just to make a suggestion and perhaps explain why I think Traders might be unhappy with the way the economy is set up.

Sorry if you took my words otherwise, Rufhelous.

~ Ahk
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 06:51 AM CDT
Ahkshan-

Trader style creation systems are in the works, but as always, there is a hold up. Gem Cutting is the first of our specialties, its waiting on one of Fial's rewrites. Jewlery making is waiting on Godrich to find inspiration, and time to make it happen Im sure.

Personally, I am willing to wait for both systems, since the work Godrich has been doing has been filling in the essentials of what the Trader is. The last thing this guild needs is another POC style fiasco, where the GM in charge becomes fixated on one project, and neglects anything else for quite a while. We've been in that boat before. Honestly, I believe Godrich knows whats best for this guild, and that right now, a creation system is not it. Godrich is my 5th or 6th Guild Guru in my time as a Trader, and I feel he's done more work in his tenure than all the others combined(aside from whoever created the guild itself).

David

PS: No, Im not brown nosing, Its just much easier to be positive about things when progress is made at a decent pace.
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 08:43 AM CDT
I would like to re-ask a question I posed yesterday. Can a trader using the tanning system make a better backpack than any other currently available backpack in the lands?

If so then thank you. If not then why not?

Tanning armor, and tanning non combat items are the same core system?

Would it be so terrible for a player to make a packpack that could hold 5 more boxes?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 12:30 PM CDT
<< Can a trader using the tanning system make a better backpack than any other currently available backpack in the lands? >>

I thought tanning requires a ton of skinning which not many Traders have... I could be wrong.

As to David's words, I wholeheartedly agree. I posted elsewhere on the boards (I think it was that stupid ongoing magic discussion) that our GMs care about us and we know it.

What I think we REALLY need is that AGM Godrich's been telling us he needs since I joined the guild and probably way before then.

I VOLUNTEER! GET SOMEONE TO RESPOND TO MY APPLICATION! :)

~ Ahk

P.S. I really don't care if I just get taken on as a programming mule - don't call me a GM, let me write code. I love the guild and just want to help out.
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 12:42 PM CDT
<<What really sucks more is the fact that traders no longer are the rich of elanthia they work for the rich of elanthia. They slave at tables and auctions in order to make their cut from a forger or armor maker. >>

Although I can't speak for other Traders who work the market tables, I can speak about the situation with Naria and Rufhelous. She and him are business partners. I would not consider her a slave to him and him a slave to her. We both suggest ideas of what we could do to make X goal/situation better.

The bottem line is, if you do not want to work on the market tables with a business client, then you don't have to. Your guild will not force you to work the bazaar tables.

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 12:44 PM CDT
<<I agree. To be completely honest, it doesn't make any sense for weaponsmithing to be dependent more in your skill with the weapon than your mechanical lore (or in the future, metalworking) skill. Just because you know everything about killing stuff with a sword doesn't mean you know a thing about how to make it, and realistically, you could easily be the top weaponsmith in the land without knowing how to fight at all.>>

You could be the best weaponsmith or armorsmith in the land without knowing how to fight.. to SOME degree. You still need to know how to use weapons/armor and you still need to know how to craft the mix, the blade/armor, etc.

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 12:49 PM CDT
<<Ruffles dear, my comment wasn't mean in an insulting manner - yes, I know that the GMs have decided this.. I was merely expressing myself in that I didn't understand the reason for it. If their reason was, "Because we said so." - it still wouldn't a valid explaination for me.>>

You weren't being insulting. That's the answer used in many situations - "Because we said so." My opinion is that the GMs are moving toward an Elanthia where things will be more heavily weighted toward created things rather then store-bought.

<<My point: Perhaps a GMNPC can be a craftsperson who can make better than anything better than any player now, even armor? Wouldn't that be possible? (This really refers to the first part of the post.) I suppose it goes back to the GMs deciding not to do so.>>

Well, GMs can do ANYTHING. It's a matter of what the overall goal is, and the overall goal IS that player created items are going to be a more critical factor in Elanthia in the future compared to store-bought.

<<Are you talking about strictly about forgers and weapons? I don't see any reason why GM Merchants couldn't sell strictly to a certain group of players - there are, afterall, guild-restricted merchant tents and guild related shops.>>

No, a GM is not allowed to help a player out by providing them weapons/armor/coins/items of any kind. They can provide the system for the creation of a player to make that item, but they are not allowed to help any player out with the method you listed (Making a GMPC Barbarian/Paladin to forge weapons/armor and give that to a player Trader to sell).

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 12:52 PM CDT
Traders get some sort of bonus to the non armor items I think.

Mech lore is not a ranger skill but they are forced learn that while learning skinning now and it does not even fill up thier mind pool.

when tanning first came out rangers had very little mech, then skinning was changed to accomadate this.

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 12:59 PM CDT
The fact that you guys are using the idea that I bought two ships and no one else did/could as an excuse to formulate the thread's purpose, it just illustrates to me that your whining and dining.

What the GMs really ought to do is crack down on people who sell/buy/trade characters and sell/buy platinum coins. That will help fix what their policy already states is against the rules to do and it will help fix the economy to what is RIGHT.

You earn it, you keep it. You choose what you do with your coins/character IN THE GAME.

Fix the core of the issue with the economy (the situation mentioned in this post), then worry about adding icing to the cake (creation systems).

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 01:04 PM CDT
<<You could be the best weaponsmith or armorsmith in the land without knowing how to fight.. to SOME degree. You still need to know how to use weapons/armor and you still need to know how to craft the mix, the blade/armor, etc.>>

I find this statement to be false.

Having spent some time in the forges and can make you an ingot for a capped 32 stone scim, but I sure cant grind it or pound it out when I had 300 in mech and 100 in ME. So how do I become a master forger without knowing weapons skills. I think with 100 ranks in the weapon I know how to use it enuff to forge it by now? I learned the "science" of mixing the metals, and I still turn out junk.

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 01:08 PM CDT
<<No, a GM is not allowed to help a player out by providing them weapons/armor/coins/items of any kind. They can provide the system for the creation of a player to make that item, but they are not allowed to help any player out with the method you listed (Making a GMPC Barbarian/Paladin to forge weapons/armor and give that to a player Trader to sell).>>

Then we need to remove all stores from the game that allow GMNPCs/GMs to give out anything for the exchange of coin?

We are not asking to be given anything but a reasonable chance to have a product that is usefull. We are not after your cash cow. We just want to be able to earn money at the same rate with the the skills traders are supposed to learn. And market tables dont really count it takes very little skill to be able to rent one of them.

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 01:11 PM CDT
<The fact that you guys are using the idea that I bought two ships and no one else did/could as an excuse to formulate the thread's purpose, it just illustrates to me that your whining and dining.>>

OMG I am going to stop posting here. Ruff missed the entire point of the whole thing by only reading one line he thought it was an attack on forging.

last post in this thread by me

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 01:13 PM CDT
nothing against you ruf, but personally i think characters should only be able to buy 1 boat.

also, one of the buyers the second time was also one of the big plat sellers on the lists. <not a trader btw>. But that's neither here nor there.Simu doesn't really have the wherewithal to enforce it on lists they don't control.

And traders should rightly be at the top of the economic heap. there are 2 guilds that are very focused on the acquisition of wealth. they just go about it differently. Both start with "T".

:-)

~stabbity,whiff,thud~
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 04:38 PM CDT
As I stated earlier, Naria being a Trader had nothing to do with her ability to sell forged gear. Tell me what skill as a Trader made this possible? Or are you telling me that without Market Tables, she couldn't of done the same? Hogwash.

That is the gripe. Why work Trading skill at all? We have a unique skill that offers so little potential. Naria could of done the same thing in any other guild.

Gidske
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 05:02 PM CDT
<< The fact that you guys are using the idea that I bought two ships and no one else did/could as an excuse to formulate the thread's purpose, it just illustrates to me that your whining and dining. >>

I agree with Gossford, you kinda missed the boat (haha... gulp not funny) on this thread. The way the economy is has been the topic of many discussions way before the boats being auctioned off was even mentioned to the public. One thing has nothing to do with the other. The fact that you could afford two ships didn't spark the discussion, but now that you bring it up, it's a good indication that we have a justified concern.

By the way, I agree with you on the buying/selling of characters/plats as i've mentioned before on other threads. From what I hear, it's a dead topic. Nothing can or will ever be done.

~ Ahk
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 06:12 PM CDT

>>>You could be the best weaponsmith or armorsmith in the land without knowing how to fight.. to SOME degree. You still need to know how to use weapons/armor and you still need to know how to craft the mix, the blade/armor, etc.

- Admiral Rufflehouse

I disagree. If we are talking about skill think on this. Just because a forger knows how to make the perfect mix and knows how to pound a weapon doesn't mean he will know how to wield it. Its the reason blacksmith were blacksmiths and warriors were warriors. Jab draw slice doesn't make you a expert forger it makes you a fighter.

I honestly feel that traders have been given the short end of the stick. Traders should be the merchant princes and queens of this lands. Coffers of gold and such. But yet each guild seems to be coming out with skills not to ENHANCE the guild but to be a money maker.

Unless something is done to balance this out then I do believe traders will continue to work for the rich and get their stray cuts of the profits. Just because one or two traders are making money off of the forgers doesn't mean an entire guild should settle for being employees of elanthia.

If the problem is draining the economy then do so with more fest and auctions. Find a system to even out the guilds and maybe give the one guild an economic boost it should be getting.

Down tweak barb weapons and forged armors. Let the creation system for them include other guilds.. let one guild excel at mixes and another at pounding. Let one guild be able to stitch stronger leathers and let another create lighter pelts. Have the guilds work together to create a product to sell. Letting one guild excel at one product will never allow for economic stablity. Somewhere in this mix of this the traders should have a skills needed to put the finishings touches on the product and maybe even be the one to weigh and test the blade to see if they are worth their market price ( maybe buy it from the makers for their personal supplies) When you have an economy that depends on everyone in the community doing their part. Trading finishing products for gain and making money then putting that money back into the enconomy to produce more, than you have a win win situation.

This is MHO.

oh... Don't forget Clerics in the economical chain!
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 07:19 PM CDT
>I find this statement to be false.

Oh, of course that is false in DR - I was talking about real life.

Hopefully forging in DR will eventually be fixed to be even vaguely realistic, with the mech lore split up and all the great changes to lore that the GMs are always claiming are on their way.

Apu
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/24/2003 10:37 PM CDT
<<Ruffles: No, a GM is not allowed to help a player out by providing them weapons/armor/coins/items of any kind. They can provide the system for the creation of a player to make that item, but they are not allowed to help any player out with the method you listed (Making a GMPC Barbarian/Paladin to forge weapons/armor and give that to a player Trader to sell).>>>

What if a GM dressed up as a traveling merchant, sold swords (or armor, or moneybelts, or fireball wands) to Traders, and said it was a rp event? ;)

<<Veii: 1. Do you think it was an unfair advantage that Traders could buy and resell the swords?>>
<<Ruffles: Anyone can buy/sell weapons or armor. Traders have the advantage of using market tables.>>

I suppose I did forget to mention that _only Traders_ could have bought the onyx-inlaid broadswords - which were the best broadswords in the game back then.

<<Ruffles: Read my previous post on how GMs are moving toward an Elanthia where player created items will be dominating the economy.>>

I really do hope this is true - which would mean that only players would be able to make clothes/containers, embroider/alter them significantly, and GM merchants could only sell glorified store-bought items.

If GMs were moving toward an Elanthia where player created items dominate - that would cause greater inflation, which I heard is what they're trying to do the opposite. (How? More coins enter the system than is drained from it. Prices increase due to the fact that more and more people can afford the higher prices.)

Frankly, I don't think this type of situation was considered when they thought of creation systems.

-Veii

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/25/2003 12:49 AM CDT
G'day,

>If GMs were moving toward an Elanthia where player created items dominate - that would cause greater inflation, which I heard is what they're trying to do the opposite. (How? More coins enter the system than is drained from it. Prices increase due to the fact that more and more people can afford the higher prices.)

Well, that is only true if you make the assumption that the treasure system will stay the way it currently is.

Regards,

Godrich de'Finchal

"And we will weep
To be so alone
We are lost!
We can never go home"

http://webpages.charter.net/plblack/trader.html
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/25/2003 09:18 PM CDT
<<Well, that is only true if you make the assumption that the treasure system will stay the way it currently is.>>

Yes!! Please tell me only Traders will ever be able to get boxes from hunting!!! Fantastic!

(Only joking!)

-Veii

(..maybe)

- Now with 8 Avatars! -
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/26/2003 10:43 AM CDT
Actually, from what i've researched from watching other games with more player creation systems, player created items deflate the system rather than inflate.

First and foremost, you have a LOT more competition. It's not you vs. the GM's who must scramble for months sometimes building vendors to satiate. You are up against every other person who choses to use that crafting system in the game...and everyone less talented than you are with it are going to slash their prices like crazy so they can make some sort of money when everyone not doing the skill is looking for the ultimatethingythatyoucanmakewiththatskill item.

Second, crafting costs money. You have to buy or scrounge for materials, things wear out, things break...and not everyone is going to stick with a skill. In fact, the majority of players working any crafting skill usually get bored and look to do something else before they get to the top rung....so all that material usage they paid gets sucked into the system, either by way of paying for materials or the costs and fees for harvesting them.

I don't think the gm merchant will ever go away in this game, or the alterer, even though I can see players having more alteration-style skills in the future. But from an economy standpoint, I don't think heading towards crafting is necessarily a bad thing.

Equity
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/26/2003 01:02 PM CDT
> Actually, from what i've researched from watching other games with more player creation systems, player created items deflate the system rather than inflate.

That's been my experience too, for pretty much the exact reasons Equity mentioned. More competition, especially on the lower rungs of the creation ladder, tends to create a situation where people just want enough money back to cover costs so they can keep training their creation skills. High end goods tend to still be pricey because, again as Equity pointed out, a lot of folks drop out of the creation system (or at least slow wayyyy down) after a point; but even at the high ends, having a larger and more robust creation system tends to create more competition, which does tend to keep prices better under control. I've also noticed in other games with more extensive creation systems that most players dabble in them, at least a bit, and are therefore more aware of the time and costs involved, and are less apt to pay 100 plat for something they know only costs 1 plat and takes 10 minutes to make. It's harder to get away with charging ridiculously inflated prices because people tend to have a better grasp of what's involved, and therefore aren't as likely to be suckered into paying excessive amounts.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/26/2003 01:05 PM CDT
<<That is the gripe. Why work Trading skill at all? We have a unique skill that offers so little potential. Naria could of done the same thing in any other guild.>>

She could have, yes! We all reach the same destination via wealth and adventure from various different paths. That is a GOOD THING.

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Friends don't let friends drink and use the gweth.
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/26/2003 01:08 PM CDT
<<I disagree. If we are talking about skill think on this. Just because a forger knows how to make the perfect mix and knows how to pound a weapon doesn't mean he will know how to wield it. Its the reason blacksmith were blacksmiths and warriors were warriors. Jab draw slice doesn't make you a expert forger it makes you a fighter.>>

Your right, it doesn't. But Barbarians are more in tune with the presence of weapons compared to anyone else. It does not make sense to have their first primary attunement to not matter when smithing for blades/blunts.

Primary in weapons doesn't just mean - I kill creatures with jab/draw/slice. It means an overall knowledge of weapons inside and out. (Smithing AND Hunting)

- Admiral Rufflehouse

Friends don't let friends drink and use the gweth.
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/26/2003 01:20 PM CDT
>But Barbarians are more in tune with the presence of weapons compared to anyone else.

In tune with the presence of weapons...oh boy. So weapons have a living quality to them now? I think you are reaching on this. All you have to do is look at real life to know that killing things has nothing to do with making things that kill.

I do understand you circling the wagons to keep this ability (weapons ranks equal skilled craftsman), but it obviously doesn't make sense in practical terms. There were very good points indicating just that in the earlier posts. I can't very well argue with 'weapon presence' as that is an intangible belief and arguing beliefs leads nowhere.

I only hope that future careers will solve this disparity. For now, it is what it is.

Gidske
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/26/2003 04:28 PM CDT
Primary in weapons has absolutly nothing to do with metalworking. Or by the same general priciple a great typest should be able to build keyboards better then anyone else. Because obviously they are so intuned with the keys and all that. of course a tiny problem would be electronics has nothing to do with typing! Same as using a weapon has nothing to do with metalworking. If anything use of the weapon should be only a small factor in forging, not the overwhelming factor

Finwe Ravenheart
Prev_page Previous 1