Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/26/2003 07:17 PM CDT
<< The majority of Equity's post >>

Shoot! Foiled by logical reasoning again!

<<But from an economy standpoint, I don't think heading toward crafting is necessarily a bad thing.>>

Oh, I love having creation systems where I can charge the bejeezes (yes, i used that word) out of my customers (well, not all the time). Just level the playing field, and give advantages to where they should be.

I hope that the future (rewrite?) of creation systems will take into account all that was said in this discussion - so that the appropriate skills and bonuses are taken into account and used in the right ways...

-Veii

..to benefit Traders naturally.

Veii's Veranda : http://drveii.mysitespace.com
- The Index of Trader Services -
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/26/2003 11:24 PM CDT
Basically you don't even need to look at other games for an example. Just look at the price of Crafted lockpicks, which was the first creation system that could be marketed to others <at least in Prime-in Plat they are not marketed, for IC reasons>. <the WMs Familiar was actually the first "creation system", but couldn't be and still can't be "sold" to others-at least not yet>.

Anyway, when very few could craft the best picks, master irons <at that time were the "best"> went for 2 plat Apiece. They've gone steadily downhill as more and more characters were able to craft them, although adjustments have been made, and efforts of the Union to control pricing have been attempted, there still is somewhat of a Glut in the market. And, this is for an expendible item.

What the situation is with armor and weapons are: you don't have very many who can craft the very top-notch weapons & armors. So those who can have become filthy rich. This was even encouraged by GMs who appeared as Marketpersons such as "Charlie" who would only give out "maker's marks" to those who didn't undersell. If there were more competition, there would be a more even economy, and prices would go down, just like they did with lockpicks.

~stabbity,whiff,thud~
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 07/27/2003 02:30 AM CDT
>>Gidske<<That is the gripe. Why work Trading skill at all? We have a unique skill that offers so little potential. Naria could of done the same thing in any other guild.>>

>>Ruffle>>She could have, yes! We all reach the same destination via wealth and adventure from various different paths. That is a GOOD THING.

Talk about completely missing the point.

Gidske is saying that Trading skill is meaningless. That is NOT a good thing.
Re: My Theory of Trader economics and creation systems (and suggestion). 08/02/2003 02:26 PM CDT
>>Gidske is saying that Trading skill is meaningless. That is NOT a good thing.

That's like saying heavy edged is meaningless because you can get a kertig medium edged to do the same thing.

The only reason selling items is better than Trading is because selling items to other PCs is dynamic. One day they can sell for 10 plat, then out of nowhere everyone loves stabby-swords and they can sell for 50 plat.

While commodities 'sorta' does this, it still is nowhere near as obvious as selling to other PCs. And running trade routes hardly has good and bad days from what I've seen/heard. You just tend to always go from X to Y for Z coins. A week later (and gaining no skills) won't have the town out of nowhere want to start paying 100*Z coins.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page