Prev_page Previous 1 3
Reqs 02/21/2004 11:22 AM CST
The new reqs arent terrible. I only have 2 problems with them... one of them being that First Aid and Swimming are both left out. I can somewhat understand not being able to fit Skinning and Foraging into our survival choices, but the first two seem to me like a Thief would be required to know them both.
The second problem is that the overall effect of the new reqs is to make us Thieves more cookie cutter. I enjoyed being able to be a Thief that focused on combat instead of stealing 3000 times a day, but I also really respected the Thieves that stole 3000 times a day and had the ranks to prove it. Both are Thieves that fit into all of our titles, which we evidentally can't use anymore. A brigand isnt exactly a sneaky-type thief even if he does have the skills to be that. My idea of a brigand is more of a bandit on the road that is using force to taking things from people. The thug and enforcer titles are both the same ways. Anyways... my 2 cents. The reqs aren't terrible, but they should open more survival possibilities or at least look at new ways for us to train the limited number of survival skills we can train.

Damareld
New Thief as of recently, but originally had a decently high leveled Thief
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 11:32 AM CST
<<I can somewhat understand not being able to fit Skinning and Foraging into our survival choices, but the first two seem to me like a Thief would be required to know them both.
Damareld

Exactly and it bugs many of us.

FA for example by it's nature is a pure survival skill. To maintain life and health in a bad situation.

Swimming is stupid to leave off. Is every thief place full of mountains or cliffs. What about people who thief more in river or sea areas. Even better what of a Merlew type thief?

Swim and climb or both ways to use terrain to your best to get to hard to get to places. To just leave climb for rooftops and not have swim for say sewers or flood drains or aqua ducts and the like is just short sighted.

" GOT BEER "

Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 11:45 AM CST
I honestly feel like the second reason I gave is worse than the first. It effects the way all thieves are roleplayed and causes them to be funneled into some stereotypical Thief. Not being stereotypical and having the freedom of choice is something I really enjoyed in DR. I am not saying it is completely gone or the end of the world, but this is definitely puts a damper on it. Yes make everything somewhat believeable but after all most of us come here to get out of our daily grind and into a different world for a while. A different world where everything doesnt have to be exactly/perfectly realistic, but where its just good old fun to play. Everything doesnt have to be so serious and real... just make it somewhat believeable and fun.

J/Damareld
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 12:43 PM CST
Actually I can see why swimming is off it, I haven't trained it in ages, 40th circle and I think I have maybe 40 ranks in swimming....now skinning...I don't see why they took skinning from us....we have to skin vipers...and scorps in order to make our sticky stuff...thats what I don't understand...what other critters will they implement that we need to skin to be able to make our sticky stuff? I've trained skinning in order to get the sacs and tails...just so I can make sticky stuff. Why take skinning from us when we need it to make our brew? Thats what don't make any sense to me...I say we should volly to get back first aid and skinning, but they aren't goin to change it now. Oh well...win some...lose some....

~Dalkin~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 12:58 PM CST
I didn't make the decision to exclude certain survival skills from being used as one of your required 8, but I do agree with it. I don't see swimming or first aid as being related to any particularly Thief-like actions. There's nothing wrong with training them, of course, its just that your guildleaders don't see them as something that defines a Thief.

I really can't see where you're thinking that the new reqs don't allow more flexibility that the old reqs did. Old reqs were 4 ranks in specific skills, hiding, lockpicking, disarm, etc. The old survival average was so low that few ever needed it. There is quite a gap in your first two survival skill requirements and your 7th and 8th by the time you reach 100th, so I would argue that does not promote cookie-cutter types, especially when compared to the old reqs (in which everyone really was required exactly the same ranks in survival skills). Yes, the new reqs require you to train more skills for more ranks than the old. I think that is necessary.

GameMaster Risek
Theirs not to make reply
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 01:20 PM CST
I believe the Reqs are good. You are right... there were too few. Just the exclusion of some survival skills does promote cookie-cutter Thieves. Now I may be remembering wrong because its been about 4 years since I was here last, but I thought it was just overall Survival that was needed. Therefore you could train whatever survival was needed. Just upping the Survival Reqs would have kept the same effect but still kept it harder to circle/level. The First Aid I might agree with you on as far as thiefly goes, but I think every guild has need of FA in a IC way.

The swimming though... climbing and swimming both have similiar arguments behind them. I dont know of too terribly many "in-town" climbing places that are directly related to Thieves. Nothing that I know of requires climbing to a rooftop or something to steal into a shop. Swimming and climbing go together. Both are skills needed to get around quickly in town and out of town.

Anyways... dont want this to be all complaints here. I appreciate what you do Risek. Someone has to keep it going. Its pretty amazing how much work it takes to keep a dream world of 2000 people going. I can deal with the reqs but the swimming one I think should be reconsidered.

J/Damareld

Disclaimer I havent been here for about 4 years so maybe there are new areas I dont know of.
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 01:40 PM CST
>>I don't see swimming or first aid as being related to any particularly Thief-like actions. There's nothing wrong with training them, of course, its just that your guildleaders don't see them as something that defines a Thief.

Then you aren't really trying to find any reasons are you?

Swimming, I can agree with.

But there is absolutely no reason anyone can come up with to say that a Thief would not need first aid. It's ridiculous.

I'm white and I'm capitalizing
On a trend that's currently rising
Mix it Curly, Larry, and Moe
White White Baby
He's White White Baby
So Very White White Baby
Extremely White White Baby
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 02:06 PM CST
OK answer the question then why is swimming more of a moonie skill then a thief, every other guild can use it for theyres what makes it absolutely non thief, bah its so stupid we are the only guild who always gets these crazy limits, pirates are thieves and they need to swim more then climb, and there are more in town swims then climbs, and more escape routes like the river between towns

why cant we BE JUST LIKE OTHER GUILDS AND GET TO PICK FROM ALL OF THEM except 1 or 2

personally i think gms are so scared of saying they dont agree with a decision they just auto stick with it, theres no reasoning at all that makes sense for us being the only one excluded in it just like training most our skills

Don't fear the dark, fear what hides in it.
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 02:15 PM CST
<<OK answer the question then why is swimming more of a moonie skill then a thief, every other guild can use it for theres what makes it absolutely non thief, bah its so stupid we are the only guild who always gets these crazy limits, pirates are thieves and they need to swim more then climb, and there are more in town swims then climbs, and more escape routes like the river between towns
Valcer.

I agree completely, though pirates need to climb rigging also. but like I said and Damareld stated even better.

<<The swimming though... climbing and swimming both have similar arguments behind them. I don't know of too terribly many "in-town" climbing places that are directly related to Thieves. Nothing that I know of requires climbing to a rooftop or something to steal into a shop. Swimming and climbing go together. Both are skills needed to get around quickly in town and out of town.

and is that to say all pirates or low level cause there or not all the cliffs and walls and rocks to climb or the Merlew are thief free cause all they can do is SWIM! and I been on there island. it's not full of climbing...

IN Short, the argument holds no water <hehe>
and to back it is rather short sighted and just limits everyone involved. buy hey lets all just go with the flow <hehe more> wile am at it. Lets not <make waves>,. OK I'm now <drowning> in my silly Whit. To bad none of you got enough SWIMMING to get away.

I love my GRITS !
Girls Raised In The South !

Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 02:20 PM CST
>>why cant we BE JUST LIKE OTHER GUILDS AND GET TO PICK FROM ALL OF THEM except 1 or 2

Paladins can't pick from 3 or so.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html

Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 02:26 PM CST
>>personally i think gms are so scared of saying they dont agree with a decision they just auto stick with it, theres no reasoning at all that makes sense for us being the only one excluded in it just like training most our skills

Ya know, the GMs might respond with a disagreement on this, but I think you hit the nail on the head. The decision to exclude some skills from our lists was short-sighted, narrow-minded and illogical.

The witless responses we received from the GMs at the time were either saying 'Go join the Ranger's guild' or 'Kalag wouldn't care if you came with X skill'.

Yea, well you know what. Maybe 'Kalag' never took a cut in his career and maybe 'Kalag' always got healed by Empaths (read: rolled up a slave empath), but some people DO get caught and some people do bleed.

What happens if you fall from a roof and break your head open.

I just really can't see what any GM was thinking when they decided that one.

Enter Billy Buttkisser (any) and please try to defend those judgement calls.

I'm white and I'm capitalizing
On a trend that's currently rising
Mix it Curly, Larry, and Moe
White White Baby
He's White White Baby
So Very White White Baby
Extremely White White Baby
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 02:41 PM CST
<<>>why cant we BE JUST LIKE OTHER GUILDS AND GET TO PICK FROM ALL OF THEM except 1 or 2

Paladins can't pick from 3 or so.>>

Yeah but Pureblade that would like our GMs telling us we can't use leather or light chain to circle because they are un-Paladin like. I know your just stirring the pot here and thats fun and all but I know you don't acaully think there is any comparasion between Thieves not being able to choose from their primary skillset and Paladins not being able to choose from their tert skill set.
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 02:45 PM CST
>>why cant we BE JUST LIKE OTHER GUILDS AND GET TO PICK FROM ALL OF THEM except 1 or 2

I'm not really agreeing with one side or the other, but there's a big difference between the Thieves' new reqs and most other guilds. Under the old reqs, Thieves had many high specific requirements (in hiding, stalking, stealing, lockpick, disarm, backstab) and a very easy Overall Survival requirement (compared to how many ranks you already needed in specific skills). So the new reqs weren't supposed to be replacing your Overall Survival requirement, they were replacing very rigid reqs of 4 hiding, 4 stalking, 4 stealing, 4 lockpick, 4 disarm, etc., and letting you choose which ones you want to get 5 ranks in and which ones you want to only get 2 ranks in. Even though they only let you choose between 10 skills (where escaping shouldn't count), I think you still have more flexibility than the previous reqs.

If you wanted to be just like other guilds, you'd have high specific requirements in your most relevant skills, and then your 6th, 7th, 8th survival skills would be allowed to be any survival skill you wanted to choose. Does that sound better?

Apu
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 02:53 PM CST
and we can forage precise but are the only guild who cant use forage, we learn swimming the second fastest but are the only guild that doesnt use swim

thats like saying clerics cant use TM cause they dont it for most things
or barbs cant use sling or plate armor just cause it doesnt sound very barbish

gimme a break thieves are the only guild that people say it just dont sound thiefish, its our prime set make it like everyone elses prime set for eluned sake please

Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 03:00 PM CST
yes it does apu, and stealing doesnt count for palies cause they aint allowed to learn it, so pureblade ya got 2 ya cent pick and ya a survial tert group we have way more we cant and we are prime in it

just saying it dont sound thiefish dont make no sense, most people dont imagine mages as plate wearing people with 2 handed claymores that can fight as good as most others but here it happens, tho it dont sound magey to me, and they cen use it to circle, its reallly funny how non thieves check these boards nonstop just to argue against any change that would benefit or equalize thief guild to theyre own

Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 03:08 PM CST
<<The witless responses we received from the GMs at the time were either saying 'Go join the Ranger's guild' or 'Kalag wouldn't care if you came with X skill'.

not to pick on the ones in charge who made the hard calls weither good or bad. just a comment here.

The prime players were Damassak and Maelona. For the most part a new team is in play. like Talain and Rigby. I would like to see a pitdcher for us in the bull pen. But such is life.

I got 9 of the 10 skills over 320 min for a 100th thief. I would have escape there if it was even possible to train there without jumping thru 50 burning hoops on a tricycle.

I don't want it cause it will aid me. I want it cause it makes scense! FA and swim should be on there.

I love my GRITS !
Girls Raised In The South !

Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 03:31 PM CST
Decent answer on some of those Risek, but I just cant agree. You said "The essence of being a Thief is not tending your wounds, or swimming in a river". Well if thats the case you can put Climbing on there too. The essence of a Thief isnt climbing trees or ladders. Its not exactly a defining characteristic but it is something we definitely have to use to "slip away or escape from trying circumstances". I would say swimming falls into that catagory too. My only arguement on First Aid would be that Thieves have a very dangerous job and the option of training that as one of our survival skills isnt outside the scope of being a Thief at all.

Anyways like you said... dont want to get into an argument about it. If the book is closed and shut on the issue and they wont change it then there is no point. I would just like to throw my opinion/vote in, as a paying consumer of Simu, that these things should be allowed. Thanks for even taking the time to answer. I really do appreciate that.

J/Damareld
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 04:05 PM CST
actually, under the old, old reqs <LP & disarm 4 per circle ad infinium>, i'd be the same circle i am now.

under the old <as revised by Royce> reqs which lessened LP/disarm and added B/Stab as requirement, i'd be 84 instead of 82, and thats just cause i've been lazy with my 2nd weapon since we've gotten the new reqs.

too bad we can't steal TDPS.

-s-

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 05:26 PM CST
>>I know you don't acaully think there is any comparasion between Thieves not being able to choose from their primary skillset and Paladins not being able to choose from their tert skill set.

I think Thieves are complaining because they can't get credit beyond tdps for training skills they like training.

There's no magic requirement for Paladins, yet I train it up the wazoo. As a 'penalty', I don't circle that much (read: ever).

But, on just magic ranks alone I trained discipline and some other skills quite a few times just from the tdps earned from it.

Just because your guild doesn't care if you train something doesn't invalidate it. It only makes the ranks pointless if you feel they wouldn't have value outside of getting your next pat on the back by guildleader X.

Darius can care less that Pureblade trains hiding. That didn't stop me from getting mid-adept in it. Darius can care less that Pureblade trains primary magic. That won't stop me from [eventually] getting master in it.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html

Re: Reqs 02/21/2004 07:47 PM CST
Pureblade your missing the point I train magic like crazy for circle its not a req I simply enjoy the benefit of having those magic ranks but at the same time I still say its more in line with Darius saying training lether armor or light chain armor is un-Paladin like and thus you can't get promoted with them.
Reqs 04/07/2004 01:35 PM CDT
Could a complete list of reqs be posted, please? Thanks.
Re: Reqs 04/07/2004 06:29 PM CDT
www.olwydd.org

~Mystyria
Reqs question 04/08/2004 11:05 AM CDT
I'm looking for a little clarification on our lore reqs. I am under the impression that we need mech lore as a hard req and then need 3 other lores per circle. My confusion comes in when i type "exp l" and see that I have a total of 545 in 4 included skills. The four included skills are schol, app, mech, and teach. Do any of the musical skills, wind, vocal, string, etc., count for our advancement?

TF thief
Re: Reqs question 04/08/2004 11:18 AM CDT
<<"exp l" and see that I have a total of 545 in 4 included skills. The four included skills are schol, app, mech, and teach. Do any of the musical skills, wind, vocal, string, etc., count for our advancement?
TF thief

yes music counts. it can actually be lore #2 #3 and #4 if you really wanted it to and like music. Anyway Mech is always #1 after that you can have any of the other ones long as there not restricted from our guild.

I still use music as my #4

Make a differance, Be a Vodka Donner
Don't let Soim's Simucon supplies run low this year

Re: Reqs question 04/08/2004 11:24 AM CDT
no music is not required for advancment gossford but it counts if you want to use it.

Make a differance, Be a Vodka Donner
Don't let Soim's Simucon supplies run low this year

Re: Reqs question 04/08/2004 12:45 PM CDT
I deleted my posts. For some reason I thought I was in the trader boards. I usually try and keep out of areas where I dont know what I am talking about.

http://www.drtraders.net/gallery
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Reqs 04/11/2004 08:30 AM CDT
I've checked www.olwydd.org for reqs. It looks good, problem is the text [the skill headers] is far too small and very hard if not impossible to read. Some I can read. Others..can't make heads or tails what is required.
Re: Reqs 04/11/2004 09:12 AM CDT
Try using the circle calculator instead. There's an option for picking the circle you want to attain, and it's pretty clear exactly what you'll need. Those are also available on his site.

~Mystyria
Re: Reqs 04/12/2004 04:34 PM CDT
> I've checked www.olwydd.org for reqs. It looks good, problem is the text [the skill headers] is far too small and very hard if not impossible to read. Some I can read. Others..can't make heads or tails what is required.

I admit I'm kind of surprised to hear this. I make sure to look at my site in a few different browsers and at a couple of resolutions for readability's sake and never noticed it was that tiny. Would higher contract colors or something help? I run at a pretty high resolution with small fonts and it seems pretty readable to me... perhaps you should use a browser where you can set the minimum text size? Not just for my site, of course, but for general purpose web browsing.

--
Olwydd
Re: Reqs 04/12/2004 06:04 PM CDT
>> perhaps you should use a browser where you can set the minimum text size?

Didn't think of tryin that. I'll check.
Re: Reqs 04/12/2004 06:08 PM CDT
>> perhaps you should use a browser where you can set the minimum text size?

Ok, THAT worked great
Re: Reqs 04/12/2004 08:28 PM CDT
> Ok, THAT worked great

Well, that's good! I didn't realize the font was that small, but there might be some combination where it's unreadable. I'll see about trying to make it more readable... but it's tough since there's so much stuff there, I don't want the font to make the tables too weirdly sized. Anyway, I hope everything is working out better now.

--
Olwydd
Reqs 09/04/2004 09:43 PM CDT
As thieves, what are our survival reqs by circle overall and what survivals are we allowed to use to meet these reqs?

Dom
Re: Reqs 09/04/2004 10:27 PM CDT
Not MY clan... I just belong to it... and that actually has nothing to do with my thief character.... NOR does it have ANYTHING to do with THIEF REQS which is what I asked about.....

Dom
Re: Reqs 09/05/2004 08:49 PM CDT
A good place to look for requirements would be http://markman.crosswinds.net/DR/DR.html which is Markhor's site and is pretty accurate except for lore number two, unless he's changed it.

As far as which skills are acceptable for the survival requirement, it's evasion, perception, hiding, lockpicking, disarming, stealing, backstab, stalking, escaping and I think climbing...

~Fillia

"It's got that Catcher-in-the-Ryey- I-hate-the-world-and-the-world-hates-me-so-let's-commit-suicide ambience."
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 12:41 AM CDT
Why not swimming a FA? I think those are pretty damn useful..... would be nice if they COUNTED FOR SOMETHING and I was wondering why I couldn't circle yet.....

Dom
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 12:49 AM CDT
Yeah, well that discussion was for when the reqs changed. And it was discussed over and over in every shape imaginable.

Sanya

I was taking a walk in the park when this post said I stole its purse. I tried to get away, but it just kept on coming. So I had to beat it to death with this purse I found.
-MOD-ILEDEMUS

Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 01:02 AM CDT
Well then I'll just have to train the ones that ount then.....

Dom
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 01:19 AM CDT
That would be advisable if you actually wanted to circle, although by all means, feel free to train both swimming and first aid. Even though they don't count for survival requirements, they're helpful in their own ways.

~Fillia

"It's got that Catcher-in-the-Ryey- I-hate-the-world-and-the-world-hates-me-so-let's-commit-suicide ambience."
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 02:12 AM CDT
I find it funny survival secondary guilds can count first aid, but we as a survival primary cant.

~~From Hell

"Then look for me by moonlight,
Watch for me by moonlight,
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way."- Alfred Noyes
Prev_page Previous 1 3