Prev_page Previous 1
Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 07:22 AM CDT
Deadliest catch on The Discovery Channel? Just curious how many other fans of the show there are. My personal favorite ship and captain is The Northwestern and Sig Hansen a local here in Seattle for me. From everything Ive heard he lives in Ballard which is within 5 miles of where I live. Kinda debating if I should goto the bar the Lockspot rumored to be his favorite bar when hes in town.

Another show Im looking forward to is Ice Road Truckers on The History Channel. If you dont know what the Great Ice Road is, its the most dangerous route for any trucker to take 18 wheels down.

"What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law!" Sheriff Buford T. Justice
Sok/Robert
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 08:37 AM CDT
I do watch it from time to time. I prefer Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs though. Mike Rowe is the man. He's all over Discovery. :)
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 08:54 AM CDT
mythbusters is pretty good I have to admit. they get to do the most fun things with explosives. Dirty jobs Ive seen but cant ge into much. Mainly because Ive done one or two of the jobs hes done for the show. Another good one on Discovery is It Takes a Thief. I do have to admit, Mike Rowe is a good spokesman for Discovery channel. I see him on commercials on other channels now and then pitching something. usually something the working man would want.

"What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law!" Sheriff Buford T. Justice
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 10:16 AM CDT
Numbers 14, 15, and 16 on my Tivo are Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, and Deadliest Catch, only cause they are well repeated and the Tivo can catch them at other times of the day to prevent overlap with others shows. They are the first shows I will watch though, regardless of what else I have on the Tivo. They are by far my most favorite shows.

Sig became a lot more salty in the second and third seasons, but he's definitely a ton of fun to watch. And I give him a lot of credit for trying to be an innovator in his profession and not just follow what everyone else is doing. He has tried less fished areas (at least the show makes it sound like he does, can't be quite sure because it isn't following every boat out there), waiting well after the beginning of the season to start crabbing because of bad weather (and ultimately cod fishing during that time), and using more than your average number of pots.

Favorite Mythbusters Episode: Mentos in Diet Coke, just cause I had tried it before and was waiting for them to do it. Also the giant flaming column of soap. A pyro ... errr ... ummm ... chemist's dream.

Favorite Dirty Job: Pig Farming in Las Vegas.
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 10:20 AM CDT
Yeah, whenever I come across deadliest catch, I have to watch it to the end. The Northwestern is a niiiice ship.

~Purehand
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 12:15 PM CDT
My son loves this show and Mythbusters. He's only 4. I fear I have a mini nerd on my hands and yet at the same time it warms my heart.

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 12:44 PM CDT
The wife and I catch Deadliest Catch every now and again, and are huge fans of Mythbusters. Jamie and Adam and the team (Grant, Tory etc etc) come up with some of the oddest myths to bust. My favorite one to date...heh, there are so many of them, its hard to just name one. The myth of the odors in the car (Corvette) was a neat one. So was the breaking out of a mexican jail with salsa! Not sure I'll ever eat that stuff again after seeing that...lol. We also enjoy watching The First 48 on A&E, and Gene Simmons. Along with American Justice, Forensic Files..etc etc etc. I try not to miss an episode of the First 48. I love that show myself.

hrmm...no idea what else...

~Dalkin~
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 12:49 PM CDT
My partner and I watch Deadliest Catch all the time. We've been missing House recently so we could watch it.

I am also a huge fan of MythBusters, which she likes but doesn't need to watch.

Ningen banji saiou ga uma
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 12:54 PM CDT
>>My partner and I watch Deadliest Catch all the time. We've been missing House recently so we could watch it.

Miss....House....::shudders:: Banish the thought! Next season is goin to be interesting...considering he lost his whole team...Can't believe they left it an hour episode..left me hanging...man I was ticked...lol. But yeah, we can't miss House. Thats a no no...::chortles::

~Dalkin~
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 01:00 PM CDT
>>Favorite Mythbusters Episode: Mentos in Diet Coke, just cause I had tried it before and was waiting for them to do it. Also the giant flaming column of soap. A pyro ... errr ... ummm ... chemist's dream.

that episode was on last night. probably one of my favorite episodes was the lava lamp exploding one. They HAD to test all those other products for the public. Was esential public service yup yup.

Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 01:09 PM CDT
Some of my favorite moments on Mythbusters is when they go to the extreme. After conventional methods fail to reproduce the myth they see exactly what it takes to make it happen.

Anyone see the one where they blew a crater in the ground where a cement truck once parked? From the show where they tested the myth about "cleaning" the tumbler out with a stick of dynamite.
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 01:18 PM CDT
>>Anyone see the one where they blew a crater in the ground where a cement truck once parked? From the show where they tested the myth about "cleaning" the tumbler out with a stick of dynamite.

It woulda worked to! If it wasn't for the 4 feet of solid concrete inside of the tumbler...::Chortles::...

Or the episode of fastest gun slinger, or if a Silk Hanky could stop a bullet...in which...to the surprise of all, it did..

Or the myth of the urinating on the third rail...heh...

Or the myth of....I can go on and on, I love that show...lol

We should all find some myths as a team and send it Email to them for them to bust.

The Egg in the radiator one was pretty cool, I would have never thought of that one...

~Dalkin~
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 01:23 PM CDT
>>It woulda worked to! If it wasn't for the 4 feet of solid concrete inside of the tumbler...::Chortles::...

I SO want to see that one! I see the mixer blown up at the begining of ever episode and missed that one entirely. Really sucks. The one where they did the myth with the bullets and and being safe under water, that surprised me big time. I didnt expect that. The 500 lighters in the car was decent also.

Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 01:27 PM CDT
The myth where they could extinguish fires with sound. They had a recording of a guy from the 40 (or something) and video where he was able to get his voice so low that he was able to extinguish candle flames with it, even facing away from the candle.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 01:33 PM CDT
>>The myth where they could extinguish fires with sound. They had a recording of a guy from the 40 (or something) and video where he was able to get his voice so low that he was able to extinguish candle flames with it, even facing away from the candle.

oh, now that one would have been neat to watch. I saw the one where they tried to break crystal by singing a particular note. And just watching that glass wobble to and fro like jello on the high speed cam was incredible.

~Dalkin~
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 01:39 PM CDT
It was neat. At the end they replicated it with a huge amount of speakers on a super super low tone. In earlier tests they got the flame to fluctuate with a tenor singing low into a mic. However I think their tests actually only extinguished the flames cause of the proximity of the flame to the woofer on the speaker. But eh...was neat.

The guy they video taped from the 40's (name escapes me) did it without any mics, out doors, etc. The individual supposedly had the largest known human vocal range. I'll see if I can find more on it.

Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 02:15 PM CDT
>>The guy they video taped from the 40's (name escapes me) did it without any mics, out doors, etc. The individual supposedly had the largest known human vocal range. I'll see if I can find more on it.

the guy that did the bird sounds? if so I know who your talking about but am drawing a blank on his name also. That was a good episode

Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 02:20 PM CDT
Yeah he was mostly known for animal, primary bird sounds. He could actually lure species of birds to him by replicating the sounds, duck, cardinal, swallow, yadda yadda. Unfortunately he lived at a time where a talent like that did very little for him other than make him a side show really.

Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 02:23 PM CDT
<<Yeah he was mostly known for animal, primary bird sounds. He could actually lure species of birds to him by replicating the sounds, duck, cardinal, swallow, yadda yadda. Unfortunately he lived at a time where a talent like that did very little for him other than make him a side show really.>>

Anyone else read Orson Scott Card and think of Arthur from the Alvin Maker series?
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 05:43 PM CDT
>>Miss....House....::shudders::

Normally I record the episodes on my computer so we can watch them later.

Ningen banji saiou ga uma
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 07:15 PM CDT
No, see, you watch House when it first airs, then catch one of the dozen replays of Deadliest Catch... either later that night (midnight CST, I think) or on another day. Sure, House (usually) replays a week and a half later on USA... but if I miss that, then I'm outta luck! Missing one playing of Deadliest Catch is easy caught up.

I was a big fan of American Chopper, but since they moved to TLC I can never remember when it's on, or what station number it is. I miss that Monster House show, too.

Modern Marvels is one of my other faves. It always surprises me what they manage to make interesting.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"Yer off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters!"
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 07:32 PM CDT
As long as I don't miss sopranos and entourage I'm good for the week. Aside from Eagles games, those are the only two shows that I know the airing times of or really what channel they are on for that matter.

~Purehand
Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 07:51 PM CDT
Hrm

I watch Bleach every thursday after the rabid community subtitles it.
Sopranos is big for me. So is entourage. I was however a much bigger fan of Rome when it was on. Although I do think they rushed it a bit at the end (really should have been 3 seasons instead of 2).

Re: Anyone watch... 06/06/2007 09:06 PM CDT
Never seen, the show, but I DID have to put up with my whole family, friends, aquantances, and pets crapping themselves going 'YOU'RE DOING OFFSHORE WORK!!!!!!!!'

It was very tiresome.
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 09:28 AM CDT
Man I just watch Buffy. All other television is dead to me. Except the Venture Bros....
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 09:39 AM CDT
Isn't that all reruns now?
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 09:43 AM CDT
>>Isn't that all reruns now?

For at least 5 years now probably more
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 09:44 AM CDT
I'm a Hero's and Lost fan, was a big fan of Alias but didn't like the last couple seasons (THANKS BEN AFFLECK)
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 10:14 AM CDT
yeah dating a red sox fan has that affect

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 12:50 PM CDT
<<I'm a Hero's and Lost fan>>

Me too, those were the only shows I even watched on TV, no I don't have anything to watch till fall :(

~Birkan Featherhands teh Drunken Prydaen
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 12:52 PM CDT
>>I don't have anything to watch till fall :(

America's got Talent, So You Think You Can Dance, er...hrmm...oh! Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader. Thaaats about it right now...::chortles::

~Dalkin~
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 01:10 PM CDT
This is why i dont watch network t.v. Its a few gems amongst many pieces of 2$!@.

Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 11:06 PM CDT
Television is the devil, I don't even own one.

~Cryhavok, player of

Well word on the street is, the sewer ogre might just name ya his successor."
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 11:12 PM CDT
>>Television is the devil, I don't even own one.

Haha! I don't either. The internet is bad enough by itself. If I had a television I probably wouldn't have time to sleep.
Re: Anyone watch... 06/07/2007 11:17 PM CDT
What's this sleep you speak of?

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net
Re: Anyone watch... 06/09/2007 07:17 AM CDT
>I don't have anything to watch till fall

I hate to be one of 'those guys', but I honestly don't watch TV. I haven't had anything but open-broadcast in the 5+ years I've been out of the dorms, and all I ever really use the TV for is video games, movies, and occasionally watching Fox (simpons, House, Bones, a few others).

If I could figure out how to hook my Xbox to my computer display I might just get rid of the TV to save room.
Re: Anyone watch... 06/09/2007 09:16 AM CDT
Get a High Def LCD TV then you can hook your computer and everything into 1 screen
Re: Anyone watch... 06/09/2007 03:49 PM CDT
>Get a High Def LCD TV then you can hook your computer and everything into 1 screen

I'll get right on that when I have a few thousand dollars to throw at the problem.
Re: Anyone watch... 06/09/2007 03:53 PM CDT
I got a good LG for a thousand
Re: Anyone watch... 06/09/2007 11:03 PM CDT
There is an adapter for the original Xbox that lets you hook it up to a VGA or DVI connection on a monitor. If you have a either connection option, this would do it for you. The price is around $60 bucks online. I believe Dell sells them too.
Prev_page Previous 1