Prev_page Previous 1
Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 07:38 PM CDT
Anyone else RP a ninja or Assassin charecter, Im tryingto get more info on the elothean house of assassins and I have started to collect custom items to fit the bill like my pair of split-toed black leather moccasins with coiled-rope soles, Look at moccasins (A coiled hemp rope forms the sole of these moccasins to allow the wearer to move silently on many surfaces. The large toe is split from the rest to aid in climbing ropes, and the fine black leather is cut to conform tightly up to mid-calf, secured by a silver buckle bearing a single eye.) And I have some other stuff too..anyway if anyone is I would like to meet them and maybe talk or try and plan out osme stuff...thanks

Hatsumi Masaaki
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 07:44 PM CDT
this is a joke right

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 07:46 PM CDT
>> Im tryingto get more info on the elothean house of assassins

Well, for one, it's been stated the Melyo Rensh'a is an NPC house only, not a house PCs will be able to join.

But I uh...wish you luck on RPing liek ninja, I guess.

Rev. Reene

<Reene> Clerics whine because they're survival tert.
<Tortolia> screw them. I'm survival awesome.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 07:47 PM CDT
Neenja vanish!

Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 07:49 PM CDT
Sheesh Arwinia you are so mean.

OK HERE IS WHAT YOU DO. You get a shirt from the Stitchery and you fashion it over your head and make sure you leave a place for your eyes. You don't even need a special costume!!11

Isabaila
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 07:57 PM CDT
I'd suggest creating your own character instead of taking the name and characterisics a real life person.

Also, I dont think "ninjas" exist in Elanthia.

-Virge
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 09:18 PM CDT
>Also, I dont think "ninjas" exist in Elanthia.

They were wiped out by a band of empaths and traders.

~Purehand

You doubt that you'll be able to alter another person's features for at least 564 more roisaen.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 09:39 PM CDT
Ninjas exist but...unfortunately they are gnomes.

Sorry:(

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 10:06 PM CDT
If you're going to be a ninja, be a MM or Ranger; the magic utilitie is much more functionable and oriented to the kill/stealth aspect than a thief. Because while Naruto is lots of things he's not a sneaky thief.

Yes I used naruto as an example to show you how stupid your idea is, thanks.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 10:13 PM CDT
>>Yes I used naruto as an example to show you how stupid your idea is, thanks.<<

I think it's a pretty nifty idea. Interested in seeing how you actually pull it off without being disruptive.

Da Madd Webba

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?

You might as well pay attention since your behind can't afford free speech

I'm like a pee stained mattress, don't sleep on me!
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 10:24 PM CDT
>I think it's a pretty nifty idea. Interested in seeing how you actually pull it off without being disruptive.

It would be a nifty idea if 300,030,300,305.2 people hadn't already had/done it.

Ninja are ubiquitous, they're like roaches. You can't turn over a shoe/rock without finding some japanophile who wants to use a katana do kara-tye and be a ninja.

I would have more respect for people wishing to do the same basic activity if they attempted to throw even a modicrum of research or originality into such things. If you're of European ancestry, learn about your continents 'assasins' (hint, the're worse than ninjas). If you're <ethnicity> your culture probably has something similar as well.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 10:46 PM CDT
>>Ninja are ubiquitous, they're like roaches. You can't turn over a shoe/rock without finding some japanophile who wants to use a katana do kara-tye and be a ninja.

Ninjas can slice through tanks.

I read it on the internets.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 11:27 PM CDT
I suppose I play an assassin, but not in a japanese culture wannabe way. I just like killing stuff :\

Srithin whispers, "Are you prepared to meet with Ushnish?"

You say, "Yes."

You sheathe the flat black sabre in your weapon harness.

You hear someone chuckling.

Srithin just came out of hiding.
Srithin turns to face you.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/16/2007 11:59 PM CDT
<<It would be a nifty idea if 300,030,300,305.2 people hadn't already had/done it.>>

if they are that prevalent why don't i see them every where i look....? oh wait, they are ninjas and hide well.

Japanese culture, even the fantasy of that culture, has a place in DR along with the middle earth/ euro princess ren fair stuff. I for one hope you pull it off well, it isn't for me, but I'm not going to knock a valid RP style choice.
(it is better than throwing in a bunch of THOU and THY when people don't even know what they mean. "thou was later used to express intimacy, familiarity, or even disrespect while another pronoun, you, the oblique/objective form of ye, was used for formal circumstances")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 01:22 AM CDT
>> oh wait, they are ninjas and hide well.

People don't design alterations so they can hide them.

>> it is better than throwing in a bunch of THOU and THY when people don't even know what they mean.

Arguable but still a valid point. Maybe I should write a guide...

Rev. Reene

Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 07:33 AM CDT
>Arguable but still a valid point. Maybe I should write a guide...

I've always wanted you to link your guide in your sig, hopefully more people will read it. Only time I've ever seen it was when someone provided a link in a thread (once).
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 08:46 AM CDT
<<People don't design alterations so they can hide them.>>

I'd just like to throw in that my character has one alteration that maybe three other characters have seen. Its an amulet he keeps hidden below his clothing (hidden by a fluff-hiding cloak), and its a rather sentimental design. Not that I disagree with any of your other points, I'd just like to say that this is in fact not always the case.

The Upright Man
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 01:10 PM CDT
>>Sheesh Arwinia you are so mean.

Don't make me scalp you gain. >=( My fines are getting way too big.

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 05:52 PM CDT
Wanting to RP an assassin who's model was taken from the classic ninja idea sold to america in the 70s is fine and I just asked if anyone else was RPing an assassin charecter or something like what I was, I didn't ask for one persons opinion about what I was doing so if you are not doing so just keep your mouth shut because I did not ask what you think. Im not calling my charecter a ninja im crafint him into a dragonrealms version of something like it and so far my charecter has come out pretty cool and I have had no ill words spoken to me in game.

<<<Japanese culture, even the fantasy of that culture, has a place in DR along with the middle earth/ euro princess ren fair stuff. I for one hope you pull it off well, it isn't for me, but I'm not going to knock a valid RP style choice.
(it is better than throwing in a bunch of THOU and THY when people don't even know what they mean. "thou was later used to express intimacy, familiarity, or even disrespect while another pronoun, you, the oblique/objective form of ye, was used for formal circumstances")>>>

Yamcer is one of the few people who see my point and I thank you for your post. If anyone is RPing something of the sort I had an idea for a way for us to be able to get some RP'd pvp in without getting into a large report fest. It's actualy an expantion on something someone else already posted about having people sign something saying they wish to partake in the event, maybe listing it on a forum and by signing this you are saying you will not report people for pvping with you and then setting up some encounters to RP it out. Its a rough idea on how to do it so if anyone wishes to do so we can work on how to make it happen.

Hatsumi
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 06:18 PM CDT
Hatsumi, whats your email address or AIM? Lets talk.

The Upright Man
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 06:25 PM CDT
you can aim me at darksidejungle its an old aim I had from when i first played
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 06:48 PM CDT
>> Im not calling my charecter a ninja im crafint him into a dragonrealms version of something like it and so far my charecter has come out pretty cool

With his ninja shoes and Japanese name taken from the founder of a modern-day martial arts organization in Japan.

A++

Rev. Reene

Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 07:32 PM CDT
Name: Bruce Lee Race: Human Guild: Thief
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 07:59 PM CDT
>Wanting to RP an assassin who's model was taken from the classic ninja idea sold to america in the 70s is fine and I just asked if anyone else was RPing an assassin charecter or something like what I was, I didn't ask for one persons opinion about what I was doing so if you are not doing so just keep your mouth shut because I did not ask what you think. Im not calling my charecter a ninja im crafint him into a dragonrealms version of something like it and so far my charecter has come out pretty cool and I have had no ill words spoken to me in game.

No. Boards: public forum. My opinion: within policy. You don't want it? Don't post. Otherwise I am perfectly fine to comment on what I see as a badly flawed idea.

It could come off as the most wonderful awesome omgorgasmic RP in the history of any online game evar. Heck, make it anywhere, anytime, at all. And I'd still call it stupid and you pretentious and unimaginative. Sorry.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 08:14 PM CDT
>>If you're of European ancestry, learn about your continents 'assasins' (hint, the're worse than ninjas).<<

I'm intrigued...What were some of the European groups so I could learn a bit?
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 08:19 PM CDT
>I'm intrigued...What were some of the European groups so I could learn a bit?

This varies wildly based on your definition of 'european'. I used the word (poorly) as an indicator for the whole western side of the Europe-asia continent, though I also tend to include the 'far east', such as India.

There are the hashashins, as popularized in Angels and Demons (Book from the guy who wrote the Da Vinci code. Same quality)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashshashin
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 08:46 PM CDT
Ah, thanks...pretty good read.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/17/2007 09:48 PM CDT
Don't forget about the Gurkha.

Srithin whispers, "Are you prepared to meet with Ushnish?"

You say, "Yes."

You sheathe the flat black sabre in your weapon harness.

You hear someone chuckling.

Srithin just came out of hiding.
Srithin turns to face you.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 01:13 AM CDT
<<Name: Bruce Lee Race: Human Guild: Thief >>

Circle: 150

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Brawling: 9257 85.49% Clear

Time Development Points: 83 Favors: 6 Deaths: 0
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information

~Birkan Featherhands teh Drunken Prydaen
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 11:38 AM CDT
<<Name: Bruce Lee Race: Human Guild: Thief >>

Name: Chuck Norris Race: Walker Guild: Texas Ranger

Strength : 999 Reflex : 999
Agility : 999 Charisma : 999
Discipline : 999 Wisdom : 999
Intelligence : 999 Stamina : 999

You are wearing a low brimmed cowboy hat, a button-up corduroy long sleeve shirt, a silver badge that says "Texas Ranger", a leather vest, a belt with a large belt buckle shaped like the state of Texas, some tight black jeans, and a pair of worn in cowboy boots.

-Vel
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 05:45 PM CDT
Correct you can do what you like, but it helps nothing and shows your ability to knock what other people are doing for no reason other than to be a something I can't say on the forums. And yes I am modeling him after the classic "ninja" but Im not the first person to use a model nor will I be the last. Some people just have to knock others I guess because they are not happy with themselves so I hope it made you feel better to do so.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 05:58 PM CDT
Smokebomb!

Ninja backpedal!

Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 05:58 PM CDT
>> Correct you can do what you like, but it helps nothing and shows your ability to knock what other people are doing for no reason other than to be a something I can't say on the forums.

I can't speak for anyone else that replied but I knocked it because I think it's a silly, over-done and incredibly cliche idea.

Just sayin'.

Rev. Reene

Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 06:14 PM CDT
Sorry you feel that way but in all my years of playing DR in the 90's and the time I played on and off after 2000 I never met anyone who did it and did it will. They may have japanese names but I never met someone who RP'd an assassin of asian culture. And even with what Im doing now if you look at the pic of the elothean on the forums and what the female has on her its very asian, thats where I got the idea it looks cool and its been fun thus far so once again i see no reason to knock what someone doing when they post asking if others are doing anything like it but you do what you like and if you like to put down what other people do feel free.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 06:57 PM CDT
>> Sorry you feel that way but in all my years of playing DR in the 90's and the time I played on and off after 2000 I never met anyone who did it and did it will.

Do you think maybe, just maybe, there is a reason for that?

>> They may have japanese names but I never met someone who RP'd an assassin of asian culture.

That's because asian culture doesn't exist in Elanthia, regardless of which cultures the GMs borrowed from when developing for any given area or race. Elothean culture, while similar in many ways to Japanese and other asian cultures, is also very, very different. If you want to roleplay a good Elothean, you should read about Elotheans, not the Japanese.

>> so once again i see no reason to knock what someone doing

Because there's a very fine but distinct difference between inspiration and plagiarism, borrowing and ripping off, and being tastefully creative versus being ridiculously far-fetched and silly.

And finally, Maasaki Hatsumi IS NOT A NINJA. That you named your character after the real-life founder of a martial arts institution is incredibly disrespectful to that person and further proves my point.

I'm all for people being creative and unique with their roleplay, but this is neither.

Rev. Reene

Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 07:07 PM CDT
Aaand I think this thread is now done.

-Z

(after showing off my latest creation)
Acanthor: You terrify me.
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/18/2007 08:09 PM CDT
<<Aaand I think this thread is now done.>>

I wouldn't try and mess with a ninja or their thread. You might wake up with a shurikin in your eye.

~Birkan Featherhands teh Drunken Prydaen
Re: Elothean Ninja 04/19/2007 02:04 AM CDT
I do believe I said the thread was over.

-Z

(after showing off my latest creation)
Acanthor: You terrify me.
Re: Elothean Ninja 06/02/2007 12:22 AM CDT
>Name: Chuck Norris Race: Walker Guild: Texas Ranger

>Strength : 999 Reflex : 999
>Agility : 999 Charisma : 999
>Discipline : 999 Wisdom : 999
>Intelligence : 999 Stamina : 999

>You are wearing a low brimmed cowboy hat, a button-up corduroy long sleeve shirt, a silver badge that says "Texas Ranger", a leather vest, a belt with a large belt buckle shaped like the state of Texas, some tight black jeans, and a pair of worn in cowboy boots.<

This is funny. I don't care who you are.

Chatter[Gilthwerp] Dont suppose any Forgers are about?
Chatter[Daku] put a dagger to their throat and make them sign it
Re: Elothean Ninja 06/02/2007 07:16 PM CDT
Chuck Norris doesn't need 999 charisma; Chuck Norris is a loner that does whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Prev_page Previous 1