Prev_page Previous 1
Contract Assassin 06/15/2003 04:03 PM CDT
I was wondering if I could be a contract Assassin for other people. This is what I've wanted to do ever sence I joined the guild. If it's not "allowed" I can think of other ways to still get the job done

~Voice from the Shadows
Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 12:18 AM CDT
<<>>I was wondering if I could be a contract Assassin for other people. This is what I've wanted to do ever sence I joined the guild. If it's not "allowed" I can think of other ways to still get the job done

If you seriously wanted to do this, you would have to ask your mark if they would report you...not that much fun is it? Of course if your mark is the sporty type they might go along with RPing it out.

Just be prepared to deal with policy a lot because a lot of people are so hopelessly deprived of any real life that they think DR is their real life and have to report anything they think is wrong.

~Thetos
Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 01:05 AM CDT
Sadly, this can never happen with players in DR, although I wish it would. Hopefully with DR2 we will get an "Assassin" career eliminating NPC's for money. Thats the only career Id ever be interested in as a thief truthfully.

Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 01:47 AM CDT
I was thinking more along the lines of players comming to me, tell me the name and the reason why. (if I find the reason worth death....I also will have my own rules) I find the person and assassinate them, then I let the corpse know what just happend, and why.

I'd like the abbility for this, maybe have contracts like traders do, when someone finds me I have them tap it, it'll put the targets name on it...maybe they can put the reason why. Then maybe when the target has fallen I can tap it and it'll do something to it like finished or somethin....now I'm babbling....I really would like some kind of contract assassination with our guild, if not theres gonna be some upset GMs....or I could do my other plans to gode them itno me killing them

~A voice from the shadows
Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 04:07 AM CDT
Ehh.... Starsaber had the same plan...

Gybrush, bardic S'kra
Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 04:28 AM CDT
You can assasinate in game. You just have to be clever, and avoid breaking policy. Its not exactly the best way to do it as a true assassin, but its wholey possible.

But if you plan to just jump folks, you can do it in TF.

~~From Hell
Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 07:48 PM CDT
well it's not assassination if they person knows it's comming. So I'd like to see something like this implimented

~Voice from the shadows
Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 09:35 PM CDT
<<>>well it's not assassination if they person knows it's comming. So I'd like to see something like this implimented

I'd like to see something like that implimented, but it just isn't going to happen. There are too many report macro huggy smoochy idiots.

~Thetos
Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 09:53 PM CDT
>>Thats the only career Id ever be interested in as a thief truthfully.

I thought the only career you ever wanted was Snerty Mc Graverobbin-Monkey?
just kidding...
Would be nice to see career assasins being hunted by career bounty hunter paladins... good RP for all... but let's all try to keep saying something like "hopefully when Dr2 comes out"... it's just a new system.. some new things will come with it's release, but it's not going to be 100's.... but things can change now, so no need to have to wait

Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 10:43 PM CDT
Would be too much of a policy nightmare... If this were to be an "official system"...

The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.
Re: Contract Assassin 06/16/2003 10:44 PM CDT
Though with the new justice career...? You might be able to hunt down people on wanted boards or some such... Thought just occurred to me... So there you have it, wait for careers

The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.
Re: Contract Assassin 06/17/2003 07:50 AM CDT
Yea, but the paladins would get that one. I still think my idea could work though, with modifications!

How about make it a separate sub-game? Have the option for paladins to sign on to kill the "official thief assassins", and allow thiefs to do the same to assassinate the hired "official paladin guards". The only people either official guild's people would be allowed to kill in this way (without traditional consent) would be those of the opposing guild who signed on for it. So if you didn't want to play, ya wouldn't have to.

There'd be ways to incorporate other guilds as well.

The Tog would have a list of the "hired guards" which he'd gladly show you at any time, and vice versa for the paladins. Once you sign on, you must stay on official "guild duty" for at least 1 or 2 months, meaning people couldn't just sign on, assassinate who they wanted, and sign off.

When you make a successful assassination, you get a reward - perhaps a full bonus/soul rejuvenation plus a small bit of extra bonus/soul temporarily. Sort of like an RPA works, but for bonus. For example, for the next 6 hours after you make an assassination, you multiply your would-be bonus times 110%. If barbs were incorporated, they'd have the same reward for inner fire. Ranger bonus, etc.

Have an open list of the top assassins/guards in your own guild, the downfall (or upside, depending how you see it) to this would be that you'd be at the top of the other guilds' lists as well (most wanted). Just incorporate the infamy point system in from TF, but make the numbers themselves hidden.

Would be an entirely optional TF in prime and plat. It wouldn't "corrupt the lands", since whoever didn't want to be part of it, wouldn't have to! It'd increase RPing since it'd be career and guild related. And last of all, it'd satisfy anyone's urge in DR prime and plat to be able to kill people without dancing with consent or turning a civil game into a mosh pit of hell.

Gybrush, bardic S'kra
Re: Contract Assassin 06/17/2003 10:21 AM CDT
I've seen this happen... but all the parties were involved in it.

It dealt with 2 persons trying to deliver an envelope, and another one found an assasing to stop it.

It worked for the assasing and for the one that hired him, it happen about a year ago in a riff between some dwarven brothers.

OOC: I know all in here is supposed to be OOC but...) If a group of persons so decide thay can run their own "event". Everyone will do his best and worst to survive and all will play their parts.

Vieque Enpaz
Dirge Ex?Madman
Re: Contract Assassin 06/17/2003 04:08 PM CDT
If we want to avoid game mechanics...can't we work a system like this out IC.....

Start a meeting area by posting a location of the boards of everyone interested in a PvP scenario and what they would like to play in the scenario..... (such as justice bringer, assasin, evil, good ....etc..) Have then agree in character to the terms...(till death, till 5 deaths, till other gives up) have each character log teh situation and even perhaps charge a fee to hook people up with enemies of around the same skill......

And introduce a thief ability "Assasinate" that takes 2 favors...or perhaps even takes a favor if you get rezzed

~Slept the acrobat
Re: Contract Assassin 06/17/2003 04:44 PM CDT
If anyone wants to play out such a scenario, I have a character or two I would be willing to let be the 'target'. My play.net address works.

The mind behind far too many!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 12:16 AM CDT
I wasn't talking about walking the person, just killing them once for the deed they did.

>>If anyone wants to play out such a scenario, I have a character or two I would be willing to let be the 'target'. My play.net address works.

I would like to do this little event, but it seems my assassin skills have been put to a stop sence the hiding change curses

You have no chance at hiding from a ship's rat.
Fear the rat!
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 12:57 AM CDT
>>I would like to do this little event, but it seems my assassin skills have been put to a stop sence the hiding change curses

Do you recall ANY GM saying ANYTHING about new backstab logic or formulas?

I know I didn't.

Relax. For all we know, the new stealth logic didn't mesh properly with backstab, and some wires need to be hooked up again.

Breathe a little.
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 04:59 PM CDT
Let's assume for a moment, Pureblade, that you DON'T know everything........

Thieves are survival prime, yes?
Thieves are weapons secondary, yes?
This means that typically, a thieve's hiding will be, on the average, higher than his weapons.
With this change, you apparently need to hide on critters that teach the equivelant in weapons (ie: you have 200 hiding, you learn from what teaches 200 weapons)
On average, a thief with 200 hiding, doesn't have 200 weapons.

In a manner of speaking, you are correct. If the thief hunts things that teaches at his weapon skil level, he can still learn backstab without any problems. But, where he once learned hiding on the same critter, now he does not. So, said thief must now wait until his weapons catch up to his hiding to train it effectively.

Bre

"One by one, the yard gnomes steal my sanity"
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 06:16 PM CDT
>>In a manner of speaking, you are correct. If the thief hunts things that teaches at his weapon skil level, he can still learn backstab without any problems. But, where he once learned hiding on the same critter, now he does not. So, said thief must now wait until his weapons catch up to his hiding to train it effectively.<<

[restate]

Hiding 271, Stalking 215, Medium Edged 160, Backstab 153

Hunting in UnderShard Spire area. Can lock all four fairly easily.

[/restate]

Use the skills and bonuses you can. You can still train effectively.

Tam
-You've gained a new rank in your ability to steal.
-There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
-The sky is not falling.
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 07:52 PM CDT
<<what Tam said>>

Hiding 196
Stalking 170
LE 148
Backstab 156

Hunting Hatchlings. I CAN'T Mindlock, with any combination of cookies or guild abilities. Perhaps instead of being vague, you could offer some constructive advice.

Bre

"One by one, the yard gnomes steal my sanity"
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 09:06 PM CDT
>>If the thief hunts things that teaches at his weapon skil level, he can still learn backstab without any problems. But, where he once learned hiding on the same critter, now he does not. So, said thief must now wait until his weapons catch up to his hiding to train it effectively.

We were told the same thing for primary armor in comparision to weapons/parry/etc.

Just because the reqs give X amonut, doesn't mean they don't expect us to have more than that.
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 09:40 PM CDT
I have more weapons in three weapons than I need for primary weapon at my circle, actually I am 10 circles ahead in weapons, but only 1 circle ahead in top 2 survival, and hiding and stalking are my top two...so I dont see why I need to be 20 circles ahead of my weapon requirements to learn hiding and stalking...never mind I got all the armor I need for a very long time, only evasion is holding me back...and I am still locking my weapons, armor and appraisal, but four legged critters that are just about right for me only get evasion to thoughtful...so...damned if I do, damned if I dont..

Act like someone is watching....they probably are.
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 11:46 PM CDT
actually, normally, I lean back at watch this discussion, but I have to speak up against pureblade here. Though many of us train weapons more than our requirements, for the most part, most of us will still have quite a bit more hiding than primary weapon. That's normal, that's expected, and that is usual. I reserve judgement as a whole in regards to the changes to stealth, though I've a feeling once we get over the growing pains, we'll all prefer the new to the old... but expecting someone to train twice as many weapons as required to circle to continue to train a primary circling requirement like hiding is an unfair thing to expect of anyone, Pureblade. (Note: I don't claim that this is what the GMs intend, I'm merely rebutting Pureblade's suggestion) Just my thoughts, is all.

Lakus, the other one.

::grumbles::
Re: Contract Assassin 06/28/2003 11:52 PM CDT
>> but expecting someone to train twice as many weapons as required to circle to continue to train a primary circling requirement like hiding is an unfair thing to expect of anyone, Pureblade.

I never said it was fair.

I said that's what Paladins were told when we raised this issue with our requirements.
Re: Contract Assassin 06/29/2003 03:35 AM CDT
Oh my god...

I think Pureblade has a valid point.

<turns greener than he already is and hurls>

Man... I'm going to bed. Gonna have nightmares.

Gybrush, bardic... <hurls>
Re: Contract Assassin 06/30/2003 07:51 AM CDT
like useal.....you guys take a topic and completely change it around.....like the backstab folder...what you guys keep talking about in there? new skills or somethin? geesh!

You have no chance at hiding from a ship's rat.
Fear the rat!
Re: Contract Assassin 07/03/2003 07:00 AM CDT
Pureblade I have a 50+ paladin and I know it is a damn sight easier to train her armor than my thief's hiding now with comaprable differences between weapons/armor for paladin and hiding/weapons for thief. All she has to do is stand in peccs on M'riss and mindlock the lot. Plus wearing HP means minimal damage from any hits. There is a difference between that and having a thief in leathers trying to hide on a critter she needs another 60 lessons in primary weapon to even start hitting, likewise for evading. And being armor tert those leathers are as much use as a chocolate fireguard if the thing gets a hit in.
Re: Contract Assassin 07/03/2003 01:12 PM CDT
You still don't need to hide on violent critters.

You can always have group stealing circles like thieves used to do.

Of course, now that a few thieves advocated to make hiding on players give less overall experience, I guess you can't.

Hi, you just shot your own foot.
Re: Contract Assassin 07/06/2003 04:48 PM CDT
>>Hunting Hatchlings. I CAN'T Mindlock, with any combination of cookies or guild abilities. Perhaps instead of being vague, you could offer some constructive advice.

Tam wasn't being vague... I believe he posted higher skills than you did (with slightly higher weapon skills), and said that he COULD MINDLOCK ALL FOUR SKILLS IN UNDERSHARD...

Ya, I can possibly see that as being vague...

you'll have to find a new critter to try and learn hiding off of... and if ya can't learn everything everywhere... oh well?

As for me I can still lock everything in adan'f so I'm enjoyin the hiding changes. :)

GI Joe is the codename for America's daring, highly trained special mission force. It's purpose: to defend human freedom against ... Cobra - a ruthless, terrorist organization determined to rule the world.
Re: Contract Assassin 08/13/2003 01:37 PM CDT
Let's assume for a moment, Pureblade, that you DON'T know everything........

Thieves are survival prime, yes?
Thieves are weapons secondary, yes?
This means that typically, a thieve's hiding will be, on the average, higher than his weapons.
With this change, you apparently need to hide on critters that teach the equivelant in weapons (ie: you have 200 hiding, you learn from what teaches 200 weapons)
On average, a thief with 200 hiding, doesn't have 200 weapons.

In a manner of speaking, you are correct. If the thief hunts things that teaches at his weapon skil level, he can still learn backstab without any problems. But, where he once learned hiding on the same critter, now he does not. So, said thief must now wait until his weapons catch up to his hiding to train it effectively.

Bre

thats what makes this guild so interresting..you steal sometimes you get caught and sometimes said victim is more interrested in ventilating your brains then telling the guards..
i ask you why then are so many people lax about weapon training?
my weapons have always been close to my hiding because i dont just train 100%stealthy combat 100% of the time.
So whats the disadvantage of "training like a barb"?
for all the people complaining about weapons caps and hiding caps i have one thing to say..
you made your bed now lie in it or make it a differant way :)
Vyrath
Re: Contract Assassin 08/13/2003 03:17 PM CDT
<<So whats the disadvantage of "training like a barb"?

because, I'm not a barb. I train like a thief, because I'm a thief. On the inside, you may be a closet-barbarian that hasn't come out yet, but I'm not.

When I hunt, I hide, stalk and backstab. I keep my primary and secondary weapons locked. But, by the virtue of being survival prime, by keeping my stealth skills locked at the same time as my weapons, I learn survivals faster. Even if I didn't stop to go on stealing runs from time to time, I'd still have a good bit more hiding than weapons.

Bre

"Mans only limitation is that he has no limitations" ~Bruce Lee 1941-1973
Re: Contract Assassin 08/13/2003 09:44 PM CDT
<<So whats the disadvantage of "training like a barb"?

If I haveta train like a barb I want some dances and some roars. Otherwise I wanna use my GUILD gift Backstab as effective as a mage casts a spell.

~Reke

"When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed." MM
Re: Contract Assassin 08/13/2003 10:13 PM CDT
>>But, where he once learned hiding on the same critter, now he does not. So, said thief must now wait until his weapons catch up to his hiding to train it effectively.

A circle 100 Paladin needs almost 500 primary armor.
A circle 100 Paladin also needs around 360 primary weapon.

Everyone has these issues. :P

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com

Re: Contract Assassin 08/13/2003 10:29 PM CDT
if i need to now ba a barb i don't want no silly dances or roars i want inner-fire to up my magic resistance.

Yamcer

Nothing can ever be made fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.
Re: Contract Assassin 08/13/2003 11:31 PM CDT
i dunno, dragon dance still looks pretty good from here.

~Weak of arm,lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead,cause you cant do more;
lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Contract Assassin 08/15/2003 05:00 AM CDT
So does cookie "impossible to be halted".

Re: Contract Assassin 08/15/2003 01:16 PM CDT
>>So does cookie "impossible to be halted".

Doesnt start with the right letter, stop making things up! Plus there is no such beast, the stats are mainly what prevent a character from being halted the khri just helps. Its kind of like claiming Dragin dance is dance "impossible to be hit", which has as much truth to it as your statement.

Anyway, with your magic skills, you can probably halt any thief anywhere near your circle even if they are using that khri. Its good but it aint that good.

-JM

"Arrogant and right is surely better than humble and wrong." ~Geoff Arbuthnot

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'." ~Homer Simpson
Re: Contract Assassin 08/15/2003 07:51 PM CDT
>>Anyway, with your magic skills, you can probably halt any thief anywhere near your circle even if they are using that khri. Its good but it aint that good.

With my magic skills, yes. But with my magic skills I should be circle 70-80. In that case, I can't halt people my level. ;) And we're talking a capped prepped at 77 with two booster spells up halt.

Re: Contract Assassin 08/16/2003 04:54 AM CDT
there's more to it than the cookies or the magic <on the paladins side> , pureblade. although you DO have the magic that would accomplish it, you don't have the Stats that a 70th-80th circle paladin would. which would enable you to halt someone of that circle.

You most likely wouldn't be able to halt a dancing barb at a lower circle than one of us, either.

To see how much of this is truely cookie and how much is circle,stat related, you should try it out with a 70/80th level trader.

~Weak of arm,lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead,cause you cant do more;
lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Contract Assassin 08/16/2003 07:34 PM CDT
>>You most likely wouldn't be able to halt a dancing barb at a lower circle than one of us, either.

I can halt a 80+ barbarian dancing Dragon.

But getting past inner fire is a completely different formula than getting past someone's 'vs will' check.

Prev_page Previous 1