Prev_page Previous 1
Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/12/2016 07:18 PM CST
When attempting to convince a couple friends to give DR a try I kept running into an obstacle. Specifically, I have no idea where to point them to get a general, broad overview of the setting, i.e. what are the things someone born and raised in the setting would know? These are pretty important things when it comes to building a character concept as well as not just appearing extremely ignorant during day to day roleplay when things a character should know (like the fact that there's a Prince ruling Zoluren, or there was a zombie apocalypse not too long ago) pop up in conversation.

Awhile back I posted about this in the Event folder for ideas and now I'm finally getting off my butt to actually do the project, which is here for now: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:THAYET/Sandbox

So why am I posting this...well, it's big and I need help. There's also big gaps in information that upon consideration I'm not sure of. So I'd like both player and GM input if possible.

Example: Tech level and culture have been touched on in the past and I've thrown up my impressions of it into the document for now. I'm specifically curious about things like legal rights, how the social classes shake out, how justice works for a peasant vs a noble both in general and in specific places. For example, right now you can march into the slums of Zoluren and murder poor people enmasse and steal their stuff and nobody bats an eye at that, which implies a lot about general social inequality, human(-equivalent) rights, and how the law is applied unevenly. How do the guilded fit into this? Are they like a quasi-merchant class was circa Renaissance, with some social and legal powers/privileges but notably less than the nobility?

I can write all day about what I think is going on based on what I've pieced together, but it would be great to get some canon down on paper about stuff like this. So any help is appreciated for this or any other part of the document anyone would care to pop in and write about.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/12/2016 08:40 PM CST

I think this is a good project, because truthfully, the way lore is hoarded is kept super duper secret has always bugged me. There are a few things that other players have told me about that my first reaction was "Are you kidding, why isn't that common knowledge?"
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/12/2016 08:54 PM CST
Oh like the secret of...

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 08:40 AM CST
You look at it as killing the poor en masse. Or protecting yourself in the mean streets as a right of passage it's all about how you choose to look at it from your characters perspective.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 08:49 AM CST
>For example, right now you can march into the slums of Zoluren and murder poor people enmasse and steal their stuff and nobody bats an eye at that

To be honest, our characters kill hundreds of thousands of everything, so I just completely handwave hunting.

If it was possible to lock 1 weapon per kill (even if it still took 5+ minutes per), as well as everything else, and loot value per minute was the same, I'd love to only kill a few things a day. Makes a bit more sense than going hunting for an hour and killing off the entire population of the Falkland Islands.

I only bring it up to say that I don't read a lot into the social (in)justice in Zoluren because of it. The nature of DR forces us to be genociders who clear-cut and strip-mine.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 09:12 AM CST
Nothing forces anyone to hunt louts. There are other loot- and box-dropping creatures at that level which are not sapient, living human beings. That they exist to kill (numbers aside) with no apparent social or legal repercussions isn't something you can simply handwave away. It exists in the setting, it's bad enough GMs have commented on how bad a practice it is, and it is not something you can just ignore because you want to.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 09:34 AM CST
>That they exist to kill (numbers aside) with no apparent social or legal repercussions isn't something you can simply handwave away.

The problem (literally) with this stance is that you, the player-character, will kill things at volumes and rates which are simply so insane, you have to handwave them. You're selectively focusing, and it's just as silly as complaining about my handwaving.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 09:36 AM CST
The issue isn't volume. The issue is that you are doing it at all.

Thayet

Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:01 AM CST
In defense of players... the louts will do the same to players given the chance. They just lack the skill.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:04 AM CST
There's a difference between volume and kind. Like, we ignore that thousands of adventurers have hunted tens of thousands of goblins, but not that there are goblins that have been hunted.

The louts in the Middens are People in IC terms and many PCs seem to have no problem murdering them for their stuff. I'm all about giving PCs enough rope to hang themselves with and this is no different.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:18 AM CST
IMO, worrying about killing louts and other sentient creatures is a level of 'realism' akin to having to eat or die. It's just one of those things that gets hand waved in games because otherwise it would be silly. I'm not going to worry about it, and I've always rolled my eyes OOCly at anyone who has tried to make a deal about it in game.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:26 AM CST
I personally disagree with where you're drawing that line. Sapient creatures are there on purpose, and if we didn't want the option we could've made them box-carrying oozes instead.

Really, it's okay to RP a bad person. I wrote an entire guild around the concept! There's no need for justifications or mental gymnastics when "adventurers aren't thinking about what they're doing" is both ICly parsimonious and OOCly correct.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:30 AM CST
>I personally disagree with where you're drawing that line. Sapient creatures are there on purpose, and if we didn't want the option we could've made them box-carrying oozes instead.

Is this a valid topic to agree to disagree about? I personally wave off most of it because of the reasons I've already explained. Slaughtering a goblin, or other sentient/sapient monster, isn't hugely different to me than a player-race NPC.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:40 AM CST
I'm not saying people who want to RP that killing a lout makes them evil are doing it wrong. Go ahead and do that. Just don't bring me into it. Guess what? I'm not doing it wrong either.

Aside: If louts and other sentient creatures are somehow made mechanically criminal to kill via charges or SO or something similar then you've effectively killed the hunting grounds those changes apply to, since no one will hunt them anymore. This is what I mean by hand waving it away. We can kill louts without repercussions because to add repercussions would just render them flavour, so in order to keep it a viable hunting ground we just hand wave that away. I.e. gameplay trumps realism. The other option as you implied would be to replace all sentient mobs with non-sentient mobs, but then you completely shut down the RP factor for those that do want it.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:49 AM CST
>>I'm not saying people who want to RP that killing a lout makes them evil are doing it wrong. Go ahead and do that. Just don't bring me into it.

Curious. If we ever decided to bring NPC vigilantes out to protect the poor, would that be good or bad RP? On one hand I feel compelled to respect that if a scene is too intense/disturbing/whatever it's okay to disengage from it, but on the other it's a bit like hitting a giant "ABORT" button on participation too. Which may be necessary sometimes, granted.

-Armifer
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:50 AM CST
If it makes you feel better, my text doesn't feel bad when she kills and/or robs adventurers, either, but I've never claimed she was a particularly good person.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:56 AM CST
>Nothing forces anyone to hunt louts.

Gangs of murderous louts relentlessly ambushing me on my way to work? Until we had the gate installed they tried to murder every student at the front door of the Moon Mage guild. It's likely the louts prey upon anyone living in the Middens as well. I've never understood the contrarian nature of those trying to defend them. Louts aren't the victims here. They aren't just innocent peace loving poor people. There's plenty of poor people in Elanthia and the majority of them don't stalk and try to kill everyone they come across on sight.

Vote:
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 10:57 AM CST
I don't think killing louts is really worse than most of the other sapient creatures we kill. Phrasing it ICly in terms of 'hunting' them gets into darker territory, but they do try to slaughter anyone who comes into the middens. Not just attempt to mug them, but immediately go for the kill. They don't even have the reasoning that some of the goblins and such have, where we're invaders in their territories. And people don't skin the louts and then make leather from their hides, although I'm sure they would if it was possible.

Honestly, since you have to go through the middens to get to where Ulf'Hara Keep was, or to the observatory, it's a little odd that neither the city or royal guard nor the moon mage guild have come down on the area pretty hard. Granted, the classic approach would mostly involve hassling regular folks who live in the middens and not do much good. Alternatively, making it explicitly legal to kill violent criminals in the area and take their stuff, leaving it up to the adventuring class. Which would also realistically involve some horrible abuses, of course. And would in turn give the louts some moral justification for their own actions. The circle of life.

- Miskton
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 11:01 AM CST
>>I don't think killing louts is really worse than most of the other sapient creatures we kill.

Decent point, it's just thrown in stark relief because there's no fantasy racism involved ("Oh, they're goblins, they don't count as people."). I would totally throw the critique open to all sapients, not just louts.

-Armifer
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 11:01 AM CST
>>Gangs of murderous louts relentlessly ambushing me on my way to work? Until we had the gate installed they tried to murder every student at the front door of the Moon Mage guild. It's likely the louts prey upon anyone living in the Middens as well. I've never understood the contrarian nature of those trying to defend them. Louts aren't the victims here. They aren't just innocent peace loving poor people. There's plenty of poor people in Elanthia and the majority of them don't stalk and try to kill everyone they come across on sight.

I think Skaen's point applies to most if not all sentient huntable "creatures". They're almost all universally not good people and are actively trying to kill anyone who wanders into their area.

I think the reason most people handwave the hunting is because you MUST hunt to advance in the game, and that's not realistic either.

I'm usually on the fence about this issue and can see the point of both sides, but I do feel like there's an attempt to apply realism to an area that is already unrealistic to begin with.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 11:02 AM CST
I'm someone who definitely handwaves all the hunting and killing, no matter if what I am hunting is a lout or an ooze. For me, psychologically, a MOB is a MOB. A lout behaves exactly the same as a goblin (minus little things like using stealth). They spawn the same and pile onto me the same without any provocation on my part. They fight to the death like a MOB; they keep showing up in droves no matter how many I have killed, and it has no actual repercussions in game either legally, socially, or whatever; they don't speak or respond to speech, like any other MOB.

I understand that there are a lot of mechanical limitations involved, but the bottom line is that just describing something as a person and making them non-skin-able, isn't enough for me, personally as a player, to feel differently about them than any other "critter" in the game, when in every other aspect they behave the same.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 12:25 PM CST
Up until TC thugs I proactively had my Plat character kill racial characters.

I handwave the volume of kills, but not that she did it.

It was a fun challenge, and I kinda wish there were more "racial" mobs past ~300ish in skill. I'd rather have my lil Gnome crazypants continue to purge the world of terrible people than fight giants/gryphons/dragon priests.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 12:35 PM CST
<<Curious. If we ever decided to bring NPC vigilantes out to protect the poor, would that be good or bad RP? On one hand I feel compelled to respect that if a scene is too intense/disturbing/whatever it's okay to disengage from it, but on the other it's a bit like hitting a giant "ABORT" button on participation too. Which may be necessary sometimes, granted.

You mean like an invasion? It would kind of suck that it's in a hunting area, and would provide incentive to not hunt there even if people didn't entirely stop hunting there. See the effect the NTR invasions have on the incentive to not afk outside the gates, for an example with precedent. Curbing afk behaviour is reasonable, but curbing interest in a hunting area is murky.

If you mean like a one-on-one interaction with a generic NPC type character then I would probably assume it was a script check. And if you mean a named GMNPC interaction, then unfortunately you've just summoned the entire GM-chasing player-base to my hunting spot.

To be honest, if I'm in a hunting area then it means I'm hunting and probably don't want to be bothered. At the very least not be forced to leave the hunting area. I'd probably be more annoyed bit it than anything else. If it was decently RP'd then it might still be welcomed by some who are so inclined, especially if they didn't have to leave when it was done. I.e. not Theren-style RP where they show up in the middle of your hunt and point-blank try to kick you out of your hunting area.

Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 02:32 PM CST
In ye olde days before there were nicer hunting ground options, people killed hundreds of madmen and somehow they almost never come up in these lout discussions. Madmen don't even have the excuse of an unfamiliar noun. People expressly murdered them to take their carving knives.

I've been giving a run of a character who sticks to the Empath hunting ladder as some kind of pseudo-pacifist run of DR. It's a fun little challenge that has zero RP behind it if I handwaved anyone else's murder away.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 03:12 PM CST
Goblins are people too, ICly, by any sane metric, just to throw that out there. But again: this all says something about the setting that people do this and make excuses for it ICly. Which is something a setting document should cover.

On the RP front, you can say whatever you want to justify it, but a) if you do it, you did it, ICly "mobs" are not a thing, it's a person and b) killing a human being then going through his pockets and taking his stuff is still not an excellent value-neutral thing to do that isn't quite covered by "well he started it, it was self-defense." That there is no social or legal repercussion for walking into someone else's neighborhood kitted up for a fight then later saying "it was self-defense, heh heh" also says something about the setting, which is the meat of what I was trying to get at.

Thayet

Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 05:15 PM CST
From the wiki page:

>>and it's not uncommon for common people to be the targets of violence or murder with no apparent legal recourse.

I acknowledge that it is poor RP to refer to going to the Middens to "hunt". People who do that, as far as I can tell, simply aren't reacting to the fact that their mob is a humanoid, and/or they don't care that much about RP. Mob = there to hunt = hunted. Not much thought put to it.

However, I think it is a little bit disingenuous to try to paint the adventurer class as casual murderers of the poor when this behavior is really just poor RP. I mean we could also talk about the absolutely insane fashion sense of many adventurers, or their tendency to talk about "number of lessons" and "pigeons", but is it really helpful to draw attention to poor RP in this way?

I would suggest hand-waving the people who, in any sane world, would be rounded up by the law. We can't do it because they are paying players, not because there's a culture of casual violence toward commoners.

- Navesi
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 05:42 PM CST
>>Primeq: I acknowledge that it is poor RP to refer to going to the Middens to "hunt". People who do that, as far as I can tell, simply aren't reacting to the fact that their mob is a humanoid, and/or they don't care that much about RP. Mob = there to hunt = hunted. Not much thought put to it. However, I think it is a little bit disingenuous to try to paint the adventurer class as casual murderers of the poor when this behavior is really just poor RP. . . . I would suggest hand-waving the people who, in any sane world, would be rounded up by the law. We can't do it because they are paying players, not because there's a culture of casual violence toward commoners.

Well stated.

Although commoners have few rights in this setting, I don't think we are intended to believe that Elanthian society (and its justice systems) are indifferent to psychopaths "hunting" people for training and loot.

What we have is the result of several factors:
• Players who are flatly uninterested in role-playing.
• A lack of ability and/or desire among players to examine the ethical implications of their characters' actions.
• An unwillingness to impose harsh IC consequences on paying customers for playing the game.
• The difficulty many players have in taking the setting seriously in the absence of mechanical incentives and punishments. (See, for example, indifference toward necromancy despite the lore's unambiguous and unqualified view that necromancy is inherently dangerous.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 05:51 PM CST
But honestly, what about the original intent of the OP, I mean I thought this was going to gear up toward something other then to handwave the fact that this or that character 'hunts' whatever humaniods, and whether or not it should matter that these humanoids go around and would and do (theoritically at least for places like the Middens) this stuff to any 'others' that step onto their 'turf'.

So what types of things should they know.

That Earth isn't Earth instead it is Elanthia, that the continent they live on is Kermoria, that the Province they start in is Zoluren, which cames from humans language known as Gamgweth that means Our Land.

That After Lanival isn't actually truthful to the time line, it's actually something about Dzree, the death, something else? Someone want to give some details here.

The Immortals as opposed to other gods in other realms, are real. Have tangible real world sightings and happenings.

Magic is something that most commoners at least have a feel for, that is its probably mostly scary no matter what. BUT then there is Forbidden Practices stuff, and that's just WRONG, type of stuff they will get together and mob together, pitch forks, torches. That type of stuff.

What more, well I started some stuff...

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 06:03 PM CST

For a cleric there is a nice niche area in fighting undead and leaving the living alone as much as possible. We can ignore most of the stuff and just be about the work of the god's fighting undead/evil and necromancy. No need to go hunt wolves, kill living thugs and misguided marauders that are human gypsies.... Leave the live folk to argue about what it is ok to put down or kill, and just focus on the stuff that is already dead or at least part way there.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 06:47 PM CST
The more I re-read this thread the more I wonder if we're attempting to attribute innocence to huntable NPCs who are clearly not innocent. I.E. Louts, Mauraders, Cutthroats, etc.

There is numerous IC justification for anyone hunting people who make it a point to "hunt" anyone who enters their domain. That said, if we're wondering about what this says about the culture in so far as explaining it to potential players, I'd say that Killing Bad People is the best wisdom of Elanthia's time.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 06:55 PM CST
The issue of the louts is also one of poor mechanics, and I too think we should handwave it away.  Because not doing so means we have to consider the consequences other related things, forcing us to consider in game events in ways that are almost certainly not intended.

I want to make it perfectly clear – I am not bashing the Events Team. I've been really happy with a number of the events lately. But, mechanically it's difficult to deal with this situation and I think failing to handwave this is a nasty rabbit hole to go down.

For example, the main unintended consequence of failing to handwave this is that we must conclude that Zoluren is on the verge of being a failed state, if it isn't already. That the government is completely unable to exert any kind of authority, policing, or defense of its citizens.

* The louts attacked anyone moving back and forth between the keep and the Crossing for decades, with no action taken.
* The louts engaged in treason by aiding the attacks of the Elpalzi, both during the events leading up to the explosion of the keep and otherwise. Again, with no action taken, even years later.
* No defense of any type is mounted against any sort of invading forces by provincial authorities.
* No coronation or official appearance of the Prince has occurred, despite his reaching he age of majority.
* Only a token effort was made to reassert that the government was still functioning after the Keep was destroyed. No mass gatherings, no criers, and a reliance on players to spread the word after a few meetings.

Now, I can guess at the real reasons for all of this. Turning off the louts for invasion, an RP event dealing with the louts, crowds and criers and broadsheets present a low return on investment of time. NPC soldiers fighting the Elpalzi would be a lot of work for little effort, if it didn't introduce more problems. The GM staff is volunteer and shorthanded besides, and they've had lots of events they've been putting on without staging a Coronation besides. Put simply, it's not worth the time to worry about that stuff.

I get all that, and I'm not upset by that. It makes perfect sense. I was annoyed by the fact that despite my efforts to avoid hunting sapients (crocs-> vipers-> leucros-> guardians-> gryphons-> germish'din/dolomars-> warklins-> celpeze) I can't stop the louts from literally running face first into my rimefang when I'm defending against an invasion, but it's no big deal, so long as we handwave it.

However, if we're going to stop handwaving this (and as consequence, calling out characters that fought in the invasions that occurred out the east gate), then what rationale I'm supposed to use to determine what I'm supposed to ignore and what I'm not supposed to? I don't know how we can escape these natural consequences absent giving the window dressing of invasion mechanics a massive overhaul. And is that really worth it?
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 07:18 PM CST
I think you are taking this louts thing way too far. Might be time to chill out.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 07:21 PM CST
>For example, the main unintended consequence of failing to handwave this is that we must conclude that Zoluren is on the verge of being a failed state, if it isn't already. That the government is completely unable to exert any kind of authority, policing, or defense of its citizens.

Last I checked the province's main keep was a pile of rubble and the royal family is basically couch surfing so...probably.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 07:49 PM CST
<I think you are taking this louts thing way too far. Might be time to chill out.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 07:59 PM CST
role playing game. notice the third word, GAME.

-Munch-
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 08:27 PM CST
Well, I can see this going downhill. How do I send up the "lock this thread" beacon again?
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 08:35 PM CST
The question isn't who's going to let me kill sapient creatures in DragonRealms;it's who's going to stop me.

I'm not always doing business, but I'm always open.

AIM: ManhattanTF
Twitter: @ManhattanTF
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 09:25 PM CST
>Last I checked the province's main keep was a pile of rubble and the royal family is basically couch surfing so...probably.

Yeah. But I believe that's their third pile of rubble at this point? It's not like there's a strong concept of 'state' in Elanthia. Zouluren's government is mostly the people with the most money and the biggest army ruling over two, maybe three actual cities. One of which is a tree.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 09:33 PM CST
I think the lack of feel that there is a government in action is just due to a shortage of game staff. Love them or hate them, but there is a significant feel of government in action in Therengia. The orders there are very involved, the Baron makes somewhat regular appearances and does stuff. I wouldn't want to see those players lose anything, because they're really into it, but we can't deny that Zoluren is the most player populated province, and could do with more staff putting an effort into make the government and such there feel more an active part of Elanthian life.
Re: Things Every Elanthian Should Know 02/13/2016 09:44 PM CST
Geez just view it as PvP without the other half having a net to land on.

This thread is so weird.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Prev_page Previous 1