Prev_page Previous 1
Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 01:38 AM CST
I recently raised some drama (I can be like that) about the policies ruling THUMP after the following incident, log from VEE-REX:

>>Suddenly you see Vieque jump from the walkway, landing on the ground with feet planting stiffly and painfully to the ground. With a grimace of pain, Vieque sits back clumsily.
>>Vieque sings in a tenor voice:
>>"Is raining men!"
>>Vieque stands up.
>>With amazing speed, * strikes Vieque in the throat with the edge of his flattened palm. Vieque clutches his throat, wheezing pathetically.

The OP chose to continue, of course.

>>Vieque glares at *.
>>* slaps Vieque! Ooooh, that HAD to hurt!
>>Vieque slaps *! Ooooh, that HAD to hurt!”

While the policy issue was cleared for me, and was discussed until we exhausted the patience of the General Policies' Board Monitor, I am bringing it over because of the debate about what is OOC behavior. My position in the issue (where of course I think I am in the right), was:

>>"The line of the song (where I did not even included the Hallelujah!) was only OOC based on the Player's knowledge, not the character's. For all they knew, I had just came up with that."<<

The position of those that saw my singing that line from a Pop Song as OOC may be resumed as follows:

>>“Thinly veiled OOC remarks are... OOC.”<<

And a little more specific, if extreme:

>>“Singing "It's Raining Men" isn't OOC in the policy way, it's OOC in the player knows what that is and it's jarring and immersion breaking and people who do things like that are being inconsiderate to their fellow players way. It's like when someone talks about a "play" they saw put on by some "famous bards" and then go quoting some popular movie.”<<

So thus were things… and then, tonight, while trying to stow a chain, I typed

“sto cha” and got this gem from the game, which thought sto stood for STOP:

“In the name of love?”

Jarring, I know.

Carlos
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 05:14 AM CST
Just get over it. You couldn't talk in game for a couple minutes. You didn't think it was OOC, someone else who could thump you did. Your options were to kill the thumper(which is what I did the only time I've ever been thumped on any character, with a non-Combat Moon Mage thumped my Barbarian years ago) since it grants consent or take your lumps and move on with your life. You've created the third option of whining on the message boards for days. If you don't think it's OOC then keep doing it until someone with authority tells you it is. But get over it.

And I stopped reading the thread days ago but if it got so bad that you "exhausted the patience of the General Policies Board Monitor" then starting essentially the same thread in a different section of the boards probably isn't the best idea you've had all day.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 05:18 AM CST
Sorry for the double post, but you're also making the assumption that he thumped you for being OCC when it's just as likely that he thumped you for being an annoying, ranting madman. Which is what your character was trying to portray, and thumping would be an entirely appropriate response.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 05:46 AM CST
>>Just get over it.<<

^This. Equine cemetery anyone?

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 06:04 AM CST
I want a bovine cemetary. Stupid horses get all the fun.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 09:25 AM CST
>I want a bovine cemetary. Stupid horses get all the fun.

Some of us aren't allowed within 300 yards of non-horse related cattle for legal reasons. Jerk.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 09:43 AM CST
I really don't understand why you think its OK to be annoying and not okay for people to register said annoyance and act upon it.

If you role play an idiot you probably should expect to be treated like an idiot. In Dragonrealms idiots tend to get thumped or killed.

I don't now where you want to go with this.

- Buuwl
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 10:31 AM CST
I am not discussing THUMP in or as a RP tool.

This post is not about the Thump, the policies were discussed on the policy folder.
That discussion brought out a debate about being OOC.
The log is quoted because, it gives a frame to my character's outburst.
The issue I bring to this foulder is: Are all "out of Elanthia" references OOC?
The issue was presented with some quotes for the position that I had acted in an OOC way, my argument against having acted in an OOC manner and finally the humorous way in which the game reacts to a confussing "STOP" command.

Carlos
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 10:43 AM CST
>>The issue I bring to this foulder is: Are all "out of Elanthia" references OOC?

Yes. People's tolerability for it varies.

>>The issue was presented with some quotes for the position that I had acted in an OOC way, my argument against having acted in an OOC manner and finally the humorous way in which the game reacts to a confussing "STOP" command.

You made an OOC reference, despite any argument that it may have been or not been effectively veiled. You know you did. Let it go.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 11:23 AM CST
I'm baffled how this can even be an issue.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 11:56 AM CST
OOC is sort-of an eye of the beholder issue. What is to one is probably not to someone else. I didn't see the whole log but from what I've heard, it didn't sound very OOC. Everyone has their own agenda though.

If it's part of your character's RP, I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt you'll get into any trouble for it aside from maybe the executive thump police who're probably just conflict-baiting anyways.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 12:37 PM CST
>> I'm baffled how this can even be an issue.

2 days later too.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 12:41 PM CST
My character being annoying to another character and paying for it is all part of the game. Character to Character, that is fine.

Being OOC, however, does bother me since this is a RP game and I like the game, I want to play well.
If I am being OOC (which must differ from being perceived as OOC) I, the player, am being annoying to another player.
If someone is incorrectly defining RolePlaying ( For example, within DR, insisting that others must use Ye Olde Elizabethean English when speaking in game), then this would be the place to maybe explain how such a position is not necessarily a part of of DR RolePlaying. That will not stop the Player from using such language, but could help him/her be cooler (as a Player) about other's not using it.

I do not want to bother other players. That is wrong.

This folder is the place were Players can debate, discuss and educate each other about the RolePlaying aspect of DragonRealms.
I have benefited from my posts about PvP Openness for stealing, and from the Policy discussion about THUMP.

Debating and discussing does not have to be about belittling or ridiculing. Specially here were it would not be Vieque ridiculing APU, but Carlos belittling the person that plays APU.
This game has a steep and rich learning curve. Some of the Forum Boards, like this one, are to help players to understand some of the aspects of the game.

Carlos
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 12:57 PM CST
Here's the main issue.

People recognize references.

You made a reference, people got it, someone didn't like it.

The end.

Let it go.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 01:19 PM CST
>If I am being OOC (which must differ from being perceived as OOC)

Here's where I think the vast majority of people disagree with you. Being perceived as OOC, is OOC. You are jarring people out of their IG experience, and that's is OOC behavior.

>If I am being OOC

You sang lyrics to a fairly well known RL song. If you had made up annoying lyrics of your own, it wouldn't have been OOC. If you had made up lyrics that happened to match a song you didn't know about, it would have been less bad since you have an excuse.

What you did, was take something recognizable from the outside world, and bring it in game. That is completely OOC behavior. If you know the reference is from the real world, and it's obvious to others the reference is from the real world, it's OOC.

>I do not want to bother other players. That is wrong.

I find this statement fallacious. You want to RP an annoying person. You want to bother people. If you want to continue playing an annoying character, that's fine, just stay as far away from the border of IC/OOC as possible or people will be annoyed in and out of game, and to a much larger degree.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Sounds OOC? ::NUDGE:: 02/05/2013 01:41 PM CST

REMINDER: This is not the conflicts folder.

Bickering goes there.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 03:10 PM CST
There are so many ways to be annoying and remain IC. Singing a pop song from the early 80s is generally going to be viewed as an out of character act. Personally it wouldn't bother me, but it would bother some.

RP settings
1. HEAVY - This setting will indicate that you wish to remain in an environment that is as immersive as possible and you would prefer that even veiled references to things outside of the game's environment and setting or openly discussing things such as mechanics be avoided. This is for people with a strong grasp of the game's lore and setting and for which remaining in-character and actively pursuing events and roleplaying opportunities with others is a top priority.

2. MEDIUM - This setting will indicate that you enjoy roleplaying most of the time and that it is a regular consideration in your interaction with others. This is appropriate for people who guide their interactions with others according to their character's personality, actively pursue in events and participate in roleplaying with others, but still feel comfortable talking about mechanics and ranks or making veiled references to things outside of the game, such as the boards, lag, or IM clients.

3. LIGHT - This setting indicates that you enjoy casual roleplay but do not specifically set out to do so. This is ideal for people willing to interact with others in an in-character fashion and who enjoy socializing from time to time, but whom for participation in events and pursuing roleplay with others is a relatively low priority. This setting is also appropriate for new players who are interested in roleplay but are not familiar with the environment and the game's setting and are unsure of where they currently fit in.

4. NONE (Not Really My Thing) - This setting indicates that you do not actively engage in roleplay nor do you wish for others to attempt to roleplay with you. Note that even those with this flag must respect the game environment and attempt to remain in-genre and avoid discussing blatantly out of character references within the game. This setting is appropriate for people who consider themselves casual gamers who just want to log on and play the game, or who are only interested in training and advancement with little to no in-character socialization.

- Buuwl
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 03:15 PM CST
First, I do want to commend the OP for caring about other players and not wanting to annoy them. That's a good thing. And it's good to reach out to the community for advice about how to play a lunatic character without annoying players.

As for what is IC and what is OOC -- you are being IC when your character is behaving entirely as if he were born and raised in Elanthia. He should not have any mystical connection to the real world or "coincidentally" say words or phrases that are easily recognizable from the real world. Even though singing "it's raining men" is something a character could come up with, it's just too close (for some) to that real world song. I know the game does silly OOC things too sometimes ("In the name of love?") but interacting with a game parser is already OOC and not nearly as jarring as interacting with an OOC player.

As for just being annoying, there are several ways to let other players know your character is just being himself and you aren't out to bug them personally. The first is to make it short and leave quickly if you suspect players (not characters) are bugged. The second is to make it silly (if that's IC for you) and laugh off attempts at conflict, or have him poke fun at himself when it happens. When you respond to conflict with conflict it might make people think you are deliberately baiting them. The final way is to just flat out OOC whisper to them that your character is being a jerk (not you) and that you're willing to leave if it upsets them.

The bottom line is to be sensitive to what bothers other people, and to understand that sometimes OOC references will bother them. If you do bug them, apologize and leave.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 06:24 PM CST
>>The issue was presented with some quotes for the position that I had acted in an OOC way, my argument against having acted in an OOC manner and finally the humorous way in which the game reacts to a confussing "STOP" command.

The mechanics of the game are not IC. How you're comparing what you did vs. messaging IG that reflects a message to a player mistyping a command is beyond me.

>stop in

>>In the name of love?

The game is being humorous, but it's being humorous in response to a syntax error made by you, the player. It's not thrusting a message derived from an OOC means into the IC setting in front of a large number of people (not that the amount of people matters). You can't compare the two. Hopefully that helps.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 06:30 PM CST
Thanks, another lesson taken. Thank you Buuwl for taking the time to find Game Information as to the different levels of IC and RP playing. I was wrong in thinking that because it was the Player the one who knew of the OOC roots of a commentary or song, and not the Character, the players should roll with it as being in character. They all could have thought my character had come up with that line, after falling down from a ramp. They could, but they did not have to, and as at least one felt jarred by it, I as player, am to defer to him or her.

My thanks also to those that expressed their opinions, in favor or against my position, with respect for each other.

I will try to follow the advice and ideas of Player of Eyuve. I guess if I want to make my madman funny, I'll have to come up with my own material. I hope I don't fall for the line of becoming a catatonic entity that plays DragonRealms by spending hours watching a computer screen while my character scripts itself to gargantuan levels of skills, circles and dokoras. I hope I can keep this character alive and lively.

Carlos

I'll never win a 'Ronald Reagan Great Communicator Award'.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 06:37 PM CST
>>Acevedo-Muno: The issue I bring to this foulder is: Are all "out of Elanthia" references OOC?

Yes, although as we've seen, opinions on what constitutes unacceptably OOC behavior varies from player to player. The "heavy RP" crowd is likely to object to pop culture references (such as quotations from movies, TV shows, songs), even if those references aren't inherently out-of-genre (when viewed in isolation).

In my opinion, if you're saying something that the average player would instantly recognize as a pop culture reference, you're venturing into "unacceptably OOC" territory. If you have to justify your behavior with arguments like, "[it] was only OOC based on the Player's knowledge, not the character's," or "I did not even include the Hallelujah," it's probably OOC.

When it comes to OOC references, it's the player's perspective that matters, not the character's. A character never sees anything as OOC. In extreme cases, he may recognize behavior as absurd, but it would never occur to him to attribute that behavior to another universe (the real world), because his universe is the only universe, and everything that happens is grounded in that universe.

The heavy RP community appreciates that you are willing to take another look at this. (Usually, people who do something OOC just get defensive and dig their heels in.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 07:56 PM CST
>>Yes, although as we've seen, opinions on what constitutes unacceptably OOC behavior varies from player to player.

IMO, for many it probably boils down to if people enjoy/appreciate the reference, too. Something clever is probably going to go over a lot better than something with the subtlety of a lead balloon.

Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 08:58 PM CST
>something with the subtlety of a lead balloon.

...really? REALLY? You were this close, and you couldn't just call it a Zepplin? I'm ashamed of you. I'm ashamed for you.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 10:52 PM CST
who would fly in a lead zepplin.

gosh.

Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 10:54 PM CST
Gnomes.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/05/2013 10:59 PM CST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTGFj7gT0OU

I'll never win a 'Ronald Reagan Great Communicator Award'.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/06/2013 05:56 AM CST
>>I hope I don't fall for the line of becoming a catatonic entity that plays DragonRealms by spending hours watching a computer screen while my character scripts itself to gargantuan levels of skills, circles and dokoras.

Or maybe you can do the above to escape people singing, "It's Raining Men." Also, chicks dig Dokoras. No, really. Ask Traim.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/06/2013 03:26 PM CST
< I'm baffled how this can even be an issue.

+1

Madigan
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/06/2013 06:21 PM CST
Madigan, I missed you.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 10:51 AM CST
I realize this is a week later, but I just found this thread. I wanted to add my own 15 cents (inflation). Because the cleric spell mf now requires a staff to cast it, I find myself having my character say "Fuego" before he casts. This is a Dresden Files reference, which I figure most people dont get. But the thing is, if someone sees it as being ooc and thumps me for saying it, well thats up to them. Its not gonna stop me from saying it. And thats the thing to remember. Heck, even the gms when setting up events or having various messages scroll by make veiled pop culture references. I cant remember a specific example unfortunatly but I know its happened in the past. So seriously, its not worth worrying about if someone gets upset at something they think is ooc. Just ignore em and keep on goin. Personally, I thought what you said was hilarious.

>>who would fly in a lead zepplin.

Led Zepplin?
Also, ironically enough, apparently airships are making a comeback. First records, then airships. What next? Poodle skirts? (those are those weird skirts from the 60's right? Thats before my time so I dunno but it sounds like something that should not be allowed to make a comeback)

>>Male Persona Non grata seeking Dead Female Pokemon
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 11:11 AM CST
>>I find myself having my character say "Fuego" before he casts. This is a Dresden Files reference

Or, you know, Spanish.

Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 04:04 PM CST
>Or, you know, _Spanish

Ci. But its the holding the staff and using a fire spell then saying "fuego" thats the DF reference, not just the word itself. Hence me saying people probably wouldnt get it.

Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 04:19 PM CST
>Ci. But its the holding the staff and using a fire spell then saying "fuego" thats the DF reference, not just the word itself. Hence me saying people probably wouldnt get it.

I'd just assume the dragonrealms population as a whole is well read.

It would be safest just to choose any of the ingame languages for the word fire. It's been awhile since I read DF but fuzzy memory tells me that the series lore says that the focus word can be anything. Dresden chose fuego because it wasn't likely enter his everyday usage except during spellcasting and was merely an aid to conjuring the fire.

With so many languages already built into DR why not take advantage of it?
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 04:30 PM CST
>I'd just assume the dragonrealms population as a whole is well read.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh god. Really? Because talking to most people feels like I'm talking to a poorly educated pre-literate immigrant who speaks English as a 7th language and does great violence to it in doing so.

>Ci.

...It's 'si'. And Dresden doesn't use the staff for just fire spells, so it's a bit of a bad refference to begin with. It just makes you look like an anime dude really.

Though I'd argue that using spanish in-game period is OOC, for the same reason using yiddish or german would be.

Pants.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 05:43 PM CST
>>...It's 'si'. And Dresden doesn't use the staff for just fire spells, so it's a bit of a bad refference to begin with. It just makes you look like an anime dude really.

Yes yes. I put c instead of s. It was a typo. As a floridian, I am incapible of saying anything in spanish pretty much except "mi casa es su casa" and the occasional extremely vulgar curse word. And no, Dresden DOESN'T just use the staff for fire spells, but when he DOES use it for fire spells, he says "Fuego" and I only say that when my char is casting fire spells. THus, not an anime thing. And the term is otaku, not anime dude thanks.

And just fyi, most anime doesn't actually HAVE people shouting out their attacks. If thats what you think most anime is, you need to take a closer look at it.

Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 06:28 PM CST
>And the term is otaku, not anime dude thanks.

Your Japanese is worse than your Spanish. Otaku doesn't mean 'nerd'. It means, roughly, slavishly obsessed with something. There are otaku for all types of things, from sushi to glasses.

And my comment about Dresden was that, really, he just says fuego when he uses any fire spell. So the staff is misleading.

Yes, I'm bored on a saturday night. Imagine that.

Pants.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 06:50 PM CST
>>Your Japanese is worse than your Spanish. Otaku doesn't mean 'nerd'. It means, roughly, slavishly obsessed with something. There are otaku for all types of things, from sushi to glasses.

The literal translation is "outsider." Generally associated with stuff like those creepy body-sized hug-pillows yes, but it's a blanket statement referring to someone who sticks out in a society obsessed with conformity, in which a lack of conformity can be extremely shameful.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 07:02 PM CST
>>The literal translation is "outsider."

I know zero Japanese, but I think you're thinking of gaijin.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 07:24 PM CST
>In modern Japanese slang, the term otaku is most often equivalent to "geek".[4] However, it can relate to a fan of any particular theme, topic, hobby or any form of entertainment.[5] The term otaku can be applied to both males and females. For example, Reki-jo are female otaku interested in Japanese history. While the word is used abroad to mean a fan of anime and manga who enjoys the anime culture, In Japan, the word can be looked down upon as a term for a person with any obsessive interest.

You said anime dude (which also btw, doesnt mean nerd). I said the proper term was otaku. I was correct. I AM an anime otaku. And it has more than one meaning, as referenced above, not just what you stated. And it originally started out as an honorific.

>Otaku doesn't mean 'nerd'

From the urban dictionary:

>(otaku is also used to refer to a nerd/hacker/programmer).

Before you lecture someone, please fully do your research. And also, I think you are missing the point of the whole "in joke" thing. Just cause it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to me.

And yeah, I am bored too. Not being allowed in justice areas will do that to a person.

Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 07:59 PM CST
>From the urban dictionary:

Ya, urban dictionary sure is a great source for accurate use of foreign words.

>In Japan, the word can be looked down upon as a term for a person with any obsessive interest.

Did you bother to read the sentence you posted? And reading the wikipedia link itself just sort of indicates I was using the word correctly and that it's mostly weaboos who attempt to 'otaku' themselves with a romanticized western concept.

>And also, I think you are missing the point of the whole "in joke" thing.

I didn't see an in joke. I made a comment about you being technically innacurate and coming off as more of a generic 'amine dude'. I specifically used those words to describe the attitude your average person viewing would display; they would not use technical terms any more than someone who has never driven a horse would use the term 'curry' correctly. And yes, I used driven purposefully there, and it's technically correct.

It's like how most ley persons know a 'ninja' is a dude who wears black clothes and uses tricks and knives. They don't know it's a tabby boot and a kunai and whatever else.

>And yeah, I am bored too. Not being allowed in justice areas will do that to a person.

I was more pointing out that it's saturday night and I don't have anything better to do that squabble with you, and how rather sad that is (so I was slamming myself).

All of that aside, you're still using non-english language in DR, which is technically a no-no for RP. You could use one of the IG languages for the same effect and people wouldn't get your joke but they wouldn't find it offensive either.

Pants.
Prev_page Previous 1