Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Sounds OOC? ::THREAD OVER:: 02/16/2013 08:38 PM CST

You guys missed the conflict folder. It's up there a few.

Further, this one's done.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/16/2013 10:06 PM CST
>>Hence me saying people probably wouldnt get it.

Honestly, making an OOC reference that isn't recognized as a tv thing and instead mistaken for a more generalized OOC reference doesn't really make it come off as a better idea.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/17/2013 01:55 PM CST
Totally unimportant aside:

>>Poodle skirts? (those are those weird skirts from the 60's right?...)

More 50's, actually. By the 60's skirts were getting much narrower (and a little bit higher, because knees were naughty/sexy at the time, so let's show 'em off!). Circle skirts (from the 'poodle' variety to the whole Dior new-look silhouette) were pretty much a direct effect of no longer being under fabric rations because of WWII. We kinda went cray-cray with ridiculous amounts of yardage to pump up that unnatural extreme hourglass silhouette that women were still squeezing their kidneys to achieve.

Sorry. I work in costuming. It's kind of my job to know that crap.

And now the thread can continue to be over.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/17/2013 04:23 PM CST
>>Sorry. I work in costuming. It's kind of my job to know that crap.

No worries. I didn't know any of that. It's cool that you know stuff like that. People tend to forget that not all history is taught in regular school. I don't know if you know this, but a big trend today is instead of corsets, many women get plastic surgery to give themselves permant hourglass figures.

Nothing wrong with costuming. I bet its a fun field to be in.

And okay, sorry wont add to this thread anymore.

>>Male Persona Non grata seeking Dead Female Pokemon
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/17/2013 04:55 PM CST
>>Nothing wrong with costuming. I bet its a fun field to be in.

That it is!

It makes doing tailoring WOs weird, though, 'cause there are steps where I'm like "Wait, no, if you iron now you'll risk warping the grain and then you'll be in trouble!" or "See, if you would've just measured twice before cutting, you wouldn't have to be re-cutting your pieces mid-seam, doofus!"

I'm way better than my toon at sewing.

:)
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/17/2013 07:53 PM CST

>It makes doing tailoring WOs weird, ....

I feel the same way about knitting. You do not cut a length off a skein for your whole project. Also, everyone's first project is a scarf. The fact that mittens (I don't know anyone who learned to knit in the round) is easier makes me crazy.

Jalika
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 01:52 AM CST
I think people can be cool about the Spanish word, after all, in our music options we have Tango.
The word fuego should not sound more OOC in dragon realms than a tango would.

Carlos

I'll never win a 'Ronald Reagan Great Communicator Award'.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 07:36 AM CST
...by that logic I can use full Spanish sentences too. Because tango!

Pants.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 10:18 AM CST
Claro que si.

Carlos
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 10:59 AM CST
>>I think people can be cool about the Spanish word, after all, in our music options we have Tango.

IMO there's a difference between a word that has been appropriated into english versus a word that already has an english counterpart.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 12:17 PM CST
And you are right TEVESHSZAT, though I was not referring to the word Tango, as to the music genre.
English is Common in DragonRealms, the game, however, can accommodate words in other languages. Those hearing them can recognize them as being some kind of slang, or even an utterance with meaning for that character alone. I heard a mage saying 'Fuego' before casting some fireball or shard and I can just look at it as (not knowing if it has some other meaning in Japanese) when I hear someone screaming 'Hi-Yah' when throwing a punch.

ReinodelDragon can be richer if we can have some fun while relaxing and opening up our definition of what the realm contains.

Carlos
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 12:23 PM CST
So by this logic I'm fine to talk about football right? If I just call it, uh, something vaguely IC?

Pants.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 01:01 PM CST
>(not knowing if it has some other meaning in Japanese) when I hear someone screaming 'Hi-Yah' when throwing a punch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiai

It doesn't have any meaning. And the fact that you didn't know goes a long way to showing the difference. Fuego is pretty easily recognizable as Fire in another language.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 01:49 PM CST
We should all just use Brisingr instead when casting a fire spell. Though Christopher Paolini might have copyrighted it... I speak Spanish and don't really care if I hear the word fuego. I would not be thrilled to hear someone speaking in Spanish in the game, but one word? Meh. I'll probably ignore it and drive on. The only way someone else is going to ruin my gaming experience is if I allow them to do so.

What strikes me as the height of ridiculosity are those people who try to speak Elvish, Dwarvish, or whatever. Really? I'm willing to suspend my disbelief in order to play the game, but which version of Elvish would you like to speak? Tolkien's? AD&D? Is there an Elvish dictionary and where can I get one? I love to play gnomes, but I'm not about to go looking for a gnome to english translator on google.

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 02:18 PM CST
>which version of Elvish would you like to speak?

The DR version.

>Is there an Elvish dictionary and where can I get one?

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Elven_Dictionary http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Elven_Dictionary,_Volume_1_(book)
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Elven_Dictionary,_Volume_2_(book)

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 03:26 PM CST
>>The DR version.<<

Of course, THAT makes sense. Thanks Opeius! That gave me a great, rolling, giant, belly laugh. I obviously failed the ID 10T test...

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 03:39 PM CST
<<So by this logic I'm fine to talk about football right? If I just call it, uh, something vaguely IC?

Did you catch the Super Togbowl recently? I can't believe the Meraud's Ravens beat the Shard BL 180er's.

Nikpack
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 04:43 PM CST
Didn't a member of the Meraud's Ravens murder someone one time?

- Buuwl
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 04:53 PM CST
Shredder Rayloose Unforgiving of Elanthia?
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 05:16 PM CST
>>Didn't a member of the Meraud's Ravens murder someone one time?

No.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 06:25 PM CST
>>Did you catch the Super Togbowl recently? I can't believe the Meraud's Ravens beat the Shard BL 180er's.

Wait, didnt the sun go out during that game?

>which version of Elvish would you like to speak?

As elvish in and of itself is a completely made up language based off of other languages, it probably doesn't matter which version you use. If I or someone else uses like ONE word from a real language every once in awhile, its not that big of a deal.

Now if someone started using Klingon ig, yeah thats where the line has to be drawn.

>>Male Persona Non grata seeking Dead Female Pokemon
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 06:34 PM CST
>>As elvish in and of itself is a completely made up language based off of other languages, it probably doesn't matter which version you use.

Using Middle Earth Elvish is OOC. Just like if another game happened to have Gor'togs, using the language/lore of another fictional world would also be OOC.

Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 06:46 PM CST
>>Fahr: Now if someone started using Klingon ig, yeah thats where the line has to be drawn.

[04:09] [Takaluras] "Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam"
[04:09] [Takaluras] "today is a good day to die"

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 07:08 PM CST
>>Using Middle Earth Elvish is OOC. Just like if another game happened to have Gor'togs, using the language/lore of another fictional world would also be OOC.

That would be as goofy as reading WoT, deciding the Aiel are awesome and run around IG saying "Shade and Water" as some sort of existing desert people. Wouldn't that be OOC?

A shadowy black death spirit says, "Give us the annoying one, and the rest of you shall live."
* Mudge was just struck down!
The cackling continues. "The Darkness is pleased with your sacrifice."
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 07:17 PM CST
>As elvish in and of itself is a completely made up language based off of other languages, it probably doesn't matter which version you use.

Since there's IG documentation about DragonRealms' version of Elvish, using any other version is OOC. For example, if you wanted to say the equivalent of "How's it going, amigo?" It would be "How's it going, jora?", since jora is the documented word for 'friend' in Elvish.

Re: Sounds OOC? 02/18/2013 07:29 PM CST
Algunos hombres, sólo quieren ver el mundo arder...
And some girls (and boys) just wanna have fun.

Carlos
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/20/2013 03:23 PM CST
>That would be as goofy as reading WoT, deciding the Aiel are awesome and run around IG saying "Shade and Water" as some sort of existing desert people. Wouldn't that be OOC?

I like what you did there.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/25/2013 12:52 PM CST
>I want a bovine cemetary. Stupid horses get all the fun.

Some of us aren't allowed within 300 yards of non-horse related cattle for legal reasons. Jerk.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.

Funniest thing I have read all day. Walked in with a patient minutes after reading it and thought about it and nearly lost every ounce of professionalism. My lesson is this. No reading forums at work.
It's hard to discuss serious issues when you have these thoughts rolling in your head. But hats off for making me spit coffee on my keyboard nonetheless.
Re: Sounds OOC? 02/26/2013 03:23 AM CST
This thread is amazing.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page